1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Khrushy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Khrushy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:26 am UTC

I mean, I know I'm viewing this whole tale from the outside position of a godlike observer but. . .

Even for Cuegan, who's shown a remarkable lack of common sense, the idea of *running* a few hundred k's (and back again to reach safety) has to seem really stupid.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:28 am UTC

Khrushy wrote:I mean, I know I'm viewing this whole tale from the outside position of a godlike observer but. . .

Even for Cuegan, who's shown a remarkable lack of common sense, the idea of *running* a few hundred k's (and back again to reach safety) has to seem really stupid.

If you just heard that everybody you know and care about is about to drown, you're not likely to act rational.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:31 am UTC

Blindposting from NP 1131

wizpretz, in NP 1129 wrote:[off-topic]
A question for the programmers among you: When/where/how did you get your start in programming? I am looking into learning programming and I'd like to hear your advice. I've read some of the thread on this topic here in the xkcd fora but I'm still not quite sure what to learn or how to learn it and I'd probably give more weight to what you guys say (even if I didn't mean to). You can point me to tutorials, other forums, or just give general advice if you'd like. Thanks in advance.
[/off-topic]

This is quite old, but I'll answer anyway. :)
My really first program was a Visual Basic script for Powerpoint, to make little games for my family, when I was like 11. I remember learning what was a while loop in the documentation. :D But it's only when I turned 14 that I learned HTML, then Javascript and later PHP. I didn't really have one website or tutorial, I picked several I could find on the Web. The good thing with that method is that you can compare them, and not just trust one. Every tutorial has its good sides and flaws. For exemple beginner lessons are by definition filled with simplifications, some of them are useful while others can induce bad practices.

I learned Java, C, C++, Ruby... pretty much the same way, but as I gained more confidence I tended to learn more and more with official documentations. I also switched over to GNU/Linux when I was 15, and it was great to learn how a system is structured, from the first program launched to your fancy web browser. Today when I look for a piece of information, I look in documentations first, then rely on StackOverflow and blog posts.

There's an eternal debate about which language one should learn first. Probably the majority agree you should start with a high-level language, that is one that makes things easier for you (you don't have to worry about memory management, stuff like that). Python is a good one, as Aluisio pointed out. However, I'd recommend a strongly-typed language, that is a language that doesn't convert e.g. strings to integers automagically. Ruby is strongly-typed, though you don't have to mention the type of a variable.
I also recommend switching to a low-level language (C is the standard one) after having gained enough confidence with the high-level one: it's really, really useful to know what's going on from the machine's point of view. I say that knowing I'm kinda biaised, because I really enjoy bare-metal programming (writing programs without an operating system, that's the lowest level you can get before manipulating transistors directly :D).

Some advices: the best way to learn is to try by yourself. Make test programs. A lot of them. When you're done reading a lesson, think of a simple program you'd like to make and give it a try. The keywords here are curiosity and fun.

Beware of Javascript tutorials, most of them fail at explaining important things. That language has pretty much unique concepts, and I think it the less understood of all modern popular languages. I used to dislike it, then I learned the concepts behind it and now I find it amazing.

My Bible for web-related stuff (HTML and Javascript) is https://developer.mozilla.org/. Really good and accurate contents.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

lgw

Postby lgw » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:33 am UTC

Selcouth wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Selcouth wrote:Edit: also, astronomy otters?

OTTers. Posters in the OTT.

Oh, duh. It wasn't capitalized before, so that threw me off. Also, I liked the image of otters popping up and suddenly analyzing everything.

Wait, wait, you mean the rest of you posters aren't otters? :shock:
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:36 am UTC

On the internet, no one everyone knows you're an otter.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:37 am UTC

I think many of us are just generic molpies.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:38 am UTC

If Cuegan keep running at the pace of a ‘scene’ per newpix, they'll be at the first (furthest from them) survey tower in 21 newpix.
My guess is that they'll make it to there, then will see that the sea is really close already and they can't continue.
If they do make it further – off the presumed continental shelf – it'll be 7 more newpix to Lucky's cabin (although we may have missed a few scenes there, while watching the sky darken), then 14 more to the tiny river that leads to the ⁷terfall, etcetera. (I don't think they can keep up that pace, though, they'll be climbing down pretty seriously by then.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:38 am UTC

Selcouth wrote:True. Hmm. It's a pity we don't have much figures on how much a language can develop, but assuming Cueball and Megan are speaking Modern Standard English, at least that language must've stuck around. Thing is, though, there also could've been mass migrations in that time period, so Cueball and Megan and the tribe could be a totally different race than we would expect from people who today dwell in that area. And thus they could've carried the remnants of their language. So basically this could be Future Japanese for all we know.

Don't confuse the story with reality. Han Solo seems to speak modern standard English. So does Ridcully. If it was more "realistic" we'd have no way to grok any of it. Is xkcd translated in to other languages? I assume so. Then Cuegan likely also speaks modern standard French also.

No, I don't assume much of anything stuck around. Even the stars didn't. I think the languages that would be spoken in such a scenario are only very distantly related to anything we would recognize.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:40 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Khrushy wrote:I mean, I know I'm viewing this whole tale from the outside position of a godlike observer but. . .

If you just heard that everybody you know and care about is about to drown, you're not likely to act rational.

I'm thinking they are running to get out of the fortress, so the Beanies don't actively prevent them from going, and once they're out and hidden they'll pull the map out and make a bit of a plan. (Which will probably still not be completely rational.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:44 am UTC

CasCat wrote:The general consensus on the thread is that it's "English" only because they're the characters we've been following; they are our point of view. What they're actually speaking probably bears about as much similarity to English as Beanish does to, oh, say, Arabic.

Of course, we could be wrong. But I'll only believe that if they start quoting Shakespeare.

My opinion is that they're not speaking English at all, but that the story is told -- to us -- in English, because it is their perspective we see this story through. The same sentiment was said, perhaps much better than I ever could, by Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg in the forward to Nightfall, a book about people on an alien world that isn't Earth at all, but that, perhaps, has more than a little in common with the OTC:
Asimov and Silverberg wrote:In other words, we could have told you that one of our characters paused to strap on his quonglishes before setting out on a walk of seven vorks along the main gleebish of his native znoob, and everything might have seemed ever so much more thoroughly alien. But it would also have been ever so much more difficult to make sense out of what we were saying, and that did not seem useful. The essence of this story doesn't lie in the quantity of bizarre terms we might have invented; it lies, rather, in the reaction of a group of people somewhat like ourselves, living on a world that is somewhat like ours in all but one highly significant detail, as they react to a challenging situation that is completely different from anything the people of Earth have ever had to deal with. Under the circumstances, it seemed to us better to tell you that someone put on his hiking boots before setting out on a seven-mile walk than to clutter the book with quonglishes, vorks, and gleebishes.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:48 am UTC

Arky wrote:Oh, and the idea that the tiny bit of castle crumbling was an earthquake opening the gate is preposterous. The sea must have been rising, and the Beanies doing their surveys and reaching conclusions about the shoreline, for much longer than the time it took Cueball and Megan to build a sandcastle and walk a few hundred kilometres.

Pardon me while I get a little defensive.

Go back and look at those frames between when Cuegan leave to swim and come back.
Using Geekwagon numbering starting here: http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=171

171 - Cuegan walk towards the water. The water is completely still. Note that the sea has not started rising yet.
    172 - They have left the frame but enough time has passed that the water is still again. They must also be far enough from shore to not cause waves to reach the shoreline.
    173 - The bit of castle falls down. Tiny ripples can be seen in the water.
    174 - The water is still again.
    175 - Megan appears. Ripples in the water behind her.
    176 - Cueball enters the frame. More ripples in the water.
    177 through 179 - The water is still.
    180 - If you use Geekwagon's "Previous Frame Difference" feature and zoom in very close, you will start noticing otherwise-imperceptible changes in the water level.
From this point on, the water is rising and always shows evidence of ripples or waves.

Whether the castle damage and water ripples were caused by a distant earthquake or immense mudslide at the berm, something caused them to happen. They are far enough away that such an event would barely be noticeable to people (if at all), but wet sand and still water could conceivably be affected by it. Seismic waves can travel very long distances underground, resurfacing far from the epicenter.

The Beanies, Rosetta and her students knew about the ocean seeping through the berm at the strait of Gibraltar for some time. They had enough warning that they were able to survey the region, rebuild the fortress they found and warn inhabitants while they were at it. Something big enough to keep the Atlantic and Mediterranean separate would take quite some time to open up unless water was seeping into it, eroding it from the inside (which is what can happen with earthen dams, for example). If seepage was happening, eventually the berm would collapse and a massive volume of water would pour through, causing mudslides around the breach and probably a big impact where the water hits the dry sea floor.

An earthquake (that part of the world has quite a few active faults) would have caused the wet soil in the berm to liquify and move very easily, causing a collapse and letting the Atlantic back in.

I'd be willing to bet that, if GLR deems us worthy to know what caused the berm to fail, it will have been something big enough to cause the evidence we saw at Cuegan's beach.
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:50 am UTC

lgw wrote:Wait, wait, you mean the rest of you posters aren't otters? :shock:

Nahh, plenty of us Lutrinae around here!
Cheeky selfie to prove it:
Spoiler:
otter.jpg
otter.jpg (29.6 KiB) Viewed 7555 times

Although my avatar is a sea otter - that's actually my mate Barry.
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:51 am UTC

The Great and Powerful Randall is a fan of technology, like the surveying technique and the trebuchets. Cuegan has to communicate or travel over a great distance in a short amount of time. I don't know which technology they will stumble across or have provided by the Beanies, but I am optimistic that they will find one in time to save their people.

Choices include water based transport. Sailboats were the fastest form of transport for centuries. Perhaps the Beanies have a steam engine.

Land transport, bicycles are faster than walking, if there is something approximating a road. Riding on Molpies would be cool, but I don't think that is Randall's style (I am often wrong).

It doesn't seem likely that they will have hang gliders, but who knows?

The most likely thing would be semaphore towers, or some other long distance communication technology.

Even without editing, I'm sure I've been Ninja'd.

AluisioASG

OTTification

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:53 am UTC

1152 priority msg dm, 0, 0

So, if you can use a boat:
Dangerous
Rising sea
(There's no time, wait for it) Oh, no! We'll fall…

Water rises
Can you swim through?
(There's no time, wait for it) Now, go! Save us…
…All!

So, does the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction approves of the background line?
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

edo

Postby edo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:55 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:I just realized that, because of the latest developments, my favorite Time theory is becoming very difficult to hold on to :( . I'm not sure how racing to save a tribe of people from a flood 11,000 odd years in the future could possibly translate into Randall's spousal unit being pregnant.

And I, at long last, am regretfully abandoning my treasured Loopism. The plot has gotten too thick, the dialogue too intricate, the alterations in the environment too dramatic. Time may end, Time may repeat, but for Time to loop would require one of those "Hey, let me tell you the dream I just had!" endings, and I don't think Randall would stoop to that. So ─ Loopist no more. Sad molpy.

Well It could still loop. Just needs to go for another 6 million years or so and it may get blocked off again and then burst. Now given the difference in time between inside and outside that only means we have to wait maybe 30-40 million years. Lets hope GLR can keep it going that long!

The loop would only need to be in the thousands of years if the same thing happens.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:56 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Don't confuse the story with reality. Han Solo seems to speak modern standard English. So does Ridcully. If it was more "realistic" we'd have no way to grok any of it. Is xkcd translated in to other languages? I assume so. Then Cuegan likely also speaks modern standard French also.

Is there a French translation of the OTC? If so, I'm intrigued as to what Rosetta's speeches look like.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Qalyar wrote:
CasCat wrote:The general consensus on the thread is that it's "English" only because they're the characters we've been following; they are our point of view. What they're actually speaking probably bears about as much similarity to English as Beanish does to, oh, say, Arabic.

Of course, we could be wrong. But I'll only believe that if they start quoting Shakespeare.

My opinion is that they're not speaking English at all, but that the story is told -- to us -- in English, because it is their perspective we see this story through. The same sentiment was said, perhaps much better than I ever could, by Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg in the forward to Nightfall, a book about people on an alien world that isn't Earth at all, but that, perhaps, has more than a little in common with the OTC:
Asimov and Silverberg wrote:In other words, we could have told you that one of our characters paused to strap on his quonglishes before setting out on a walk of seven vorks along the main gleebish of his native znoob, and everything might have seemed ever so much more thoroughly alien. But it would also have been ever so much more difficult to make sense out of what we were saying, and that did not seem useful. The essence of this story doesn't lie in the quantity of bizarre terms we might have invented; it lies, rather, in the reaction of a group of people somewhat like ourselves, living on a world that is somewhat like ours in all but one highly significant detail, as they react to a challenging situation that is completely different from anything the people of Earth have ever had to deal with. Under the circumstances, it seemed to us better to tell you that someone put on his hiking boots before setting out on a seven-mile walk than to clutter the book with quonglishes, vorks, and gleebishes.

To paraphrase the end of that: vorks or miles, it will make no difference when the tide comes in.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04 am UTC

Ongle Dongle

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:07 am UTC

mscha wrote:If Cuegan keep running at the pace of a ‘scene’ per newpix,
Spoiler:
they'll be at the first (furthest from them) survey tower in 21 newpix.
My guess is that they'll make it to there, then will see that the sea is really close already and they can't continue.
If they do make it further – off the presumed continental shelf – it'll be 7 more newpix to Lucky's cabin (although we may have missed a few scenes there, while watching the sky darken), then 14 more to the tiny river that leads to the ⁷terfall, etcetera. (I don't think they can keep up that pace, though, they'll be climbing down pretty seriously by then.)

There goes my premise...

And with that,

Code: Select all

D
M O L P Y
  W
  N

Please stop posting until I'm back! Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:09 am UTC

Just ketchuped up right before the ONG. I even tried to do it, but was ninj'd by mscha.a
------
On NP 1159 I saw this:
KeonSkyfire wrote:RUNNONG
<snip image>
Edit: First ONG, and I'm so happy the End isn't now. hmm. Now I'm not on top.

And this:
edo wrote:NOWONG
<snip image>
Ninja'd ... and then put on top by saying so :roll:

With the resultant discussion of how KeonSkyfire was somehow put behind edo during his (KS's) edit. Well, just to let y'all know KeonSkyfire's ONG post is currently in front of edo's ONG post. So it now stands that the first ONG post is spoilered and the second is not. Apparently, KS did get there first, but there was a bit of trouble during the confusion. Or maybe a moderator manually switched them. Either way, interesting read.
-------
ucim wrote:
pelrigg wrote:__----BlindPost of all blindposts----___
... (No, you don't have to wait up for meb.)
b But you really should keep Waiting For It.
Oh, I can't bear to break it to him.

Jose

Yes, I spotted some other comments which made me actually look at the Alt-text. Then I did find out that this is the second change. (And saw the breakdown of the whens and wheres of it all.)
--------
Charm Quark wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Charm Quark wrote:My ketchup is expanding in a seaish manner so I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, but are we still Timewaiters? Or have we become Timerunners in light of the new commandment?

I have a feeling we are still instructed to Wait For It. I believe our Great Lord Randall has deemed us loyal enough followers that he no longer feels the need to command us to do so, because we will continue to do so anyway ;)

That's a relief; I don't particularly like running.

Yeah, I agree yappo, we the tribe, are still Timewaiters who now have to figure out how to "Wait For It" and "Run For It."
--------
@charlie_grumbles and your TdF Updates: I've enjoyed all of them and I believe I told you earlier how neat it was to get the viewpoint of someone so knowledgeable in the sport. It's also nice to get your bits of background info as "color commentary" (so to speak).
One thing though. Could you add "first"/"previous"/"next" links in each one? (Like ucim does for "Acts".) That way we could jump more directly to each update, without having to use the "search" option.
--------
@buffygirl and the OTVO (One True Voice-Over): Yeah, that audition script looks great. (No, you don't want me as voice actor. They say some people have a face for radio; I have a voice for print.)
@yappo and taixzo and the soundtrack: Kinda hard to write the musical score when the author keeps pulling the rug out from under you isn't it? :roll:
--------
And on the current general discussion about how much work Randall put into this story, (whether he had it all planned or if He's just making it up as He goes along): Some authors do start their characters on a journey and let them "tell" the author what's going to happen. Others plot out most, if not all, the details, before they put pen to paper. And there's variations on these too. But many authors of both stripes will have a good idea where they want the story to end up. (Some even have the "last line" written before they write the first one.)
I think Randall has had this story plotted since the beginning, and has a goal in mind. He may at times pause to smell the roses, but even the atmospheric moments are there to tell his tale.
--------
@mscha: I hope you wouldn't abandon us completely. Your insights, manips, and leadership are much appreciated by more than just this lowly poster of stuff. You have contributed to this wonderfulness immensely.
--------
I submit this for better or worse. (And now to ketchup again, *sigh****
--------
Wait For It......
(Quickly)
--------
a Since I was ready to ONG at the present and then do this post you you'll get an idea of what I mean by slow typist.b
Edit in ONG number
b That would be Newpic M2926. (the previous new pic)
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:37 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:24 am UTC

It's too bad the Beanies didn't have the technology to keep the straits sealed up. It's quite simple with the right product on hand.
The first sign wrote:Seeping dam

The second sign wrote:Has got you nervous?

The third sign wrote:We'll make sure

The fourth sign wrote:It stays imperv'ous!

The fifth sign wrote:Berm-A-Save™
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:29 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:It's too bad the Beanies didn't have the technology to keep the straits sealed up. It's quite simple with the right product on hand.
Spoiler:

That... that was perfect.

:| ... :) ... :D ... :lol:
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:32 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:It's too bad the Beanies didn't have the technology to keep the straits sealed up. It's quite simple with the right product on hand.
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:36 am UTC

SBN wrote:I'm thinking they are running to get out of the fortress, so the Beanies don't actively prevent them from going
I'm disappointed that they chose that. By themselves I don't think they can do much except run out of breath. They need help, and the Beanies could offer it. Cuegan don't even know what the Beanies can do and cannot do.

AluisioASG wrote:1152 priority msg dm, 0, 0
Dangerous
Rising sea

Water rises
Can you swim through?
…All!

So, does the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction approves of the background line?

Really nice! Yes, I approve. I think this is how Rosetta sees it. The very last background line (the climax) could also be "There's no time! Run! Run!" to bring in the New Orders from the OTA.

But that's a great theme piece for Act 2, now beginning.

Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:
LOL! Maybe they should put these signs out for the TdF, and in 13,000 years, they'll know what to do.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:36 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:@yappo and taixzo and the soundtrack: Kinda hard to write the musical score when the author keeps pulling the rug out from under you isn't it? :roll:

I figure, as long as I only write one movement at a time, I can do it that way.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:40 am UTC

OHHH MYYY RANDALLLLL

That's the fastest ketchup I've ever done! Listened to this after I realized that the alt-text had indeed changed. OMR. I can't even take it all in. TOO EXCITING

Everyone cuegan knows is doomed? It's too late to save them? IT WAS ALL PLANNED FROM THE BEGINNING? Agh! I can't even, I don't, words!

yappobiscuits

Re: OTTification

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:43 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:@yappo and taixzo and the soundtrack: Kinda hard to write the musical score when the author keeps pulling the rug out from under you isn't it? :roll:

Well, I have to make minor re-thinks but it's not so bad since the mood of the comic changing will be when the music changes, what comes before won't be hugely affected. In fact it makes it kinda easier because I know what I have to focus on (i.e. we now know the importance of the rising sea, so I've decided to give it its own theme). And anyway, I haven't actually started writing anything yet, still in the idea-forming stage, so it doesn't matter yet :P
AluisioASG wrote:1152 priority msg dm, 0, 0

Dangerous
Rising sea

Water rises
Can you swim through?
…All!

:mrgreen: Awesomeful! Short but sweet.
ChronosDragon wrote:That's the fastest ketchup I've ever done! Listened to this after I realized that the alt-text had indeed changed. OMR. I can't even take it all in. TOO EXCITING

Heh, that was another song I thought of when thinking of appropriate exciting music :mrgreen:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:53 am UTC

Stray thought.
I'm tending to agree that Megball panicked when they took off running. And if they're left to their own devices, who knows how long they'll keep running blindly.
Here's the stray thought: if Rosetta has some type of intercom (including yelling really loudly), she can stop Megball before they get too far, so that she can offer some sort of quick method to take them as far back home as possible. The Beanies should have something for long distance travel. Just look at the amount of land her map covers; along with the implication she knows the breach is recent. (If the only way for Beanies to travel was by foot, the news of the collapse wouldn't have made it back to the castle.)

(re Rosetta's leader speach/Librarian comments: didn't I call her "Dean Jeri" in my blindposts yesterdip?) (Rosetta is the better name.)
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:55 am UTC

Early in the thread, there was talk of the pitch drop experiment. Well, the pitch has finally dropped, and we are no longer commanded to wait for it.

ucim wrote:This is where the die will be cast.

Or this is where the cast will die.

lgw wrote:One significant unresolved mystery: why were Cugan so afraid of the Riversmall? They can swim in the Seabig, and they drank from the river so it isn't toxic. Cueball asks something like "I woder whether it would even be possible to swim" in the river - a very strange thing to say. Are Megball's people so adapted to the salinity and temperature that they can't swim in freshwater (though they can drink it) because they're denser than 1?
I hypothesised at the time that it was because they were so used to salinity, and even though they're not denser than 1, they'd heard it was more dangerous to swim in fresh water and had never tried it.

There is no way Randall didn't plan this out from the beginning. Most of what we've seen has worked towards what's happening now in some way, even if it wasn't obvious at the time that anything important was happening, and there are none of the inconsistencies that would result from not planning it. We spent a lot of effort trying to work out where they could be, and could not find anywhere that fit all of the evidence at once, but as it happens, the dried-up Mediterranean 11000 years in the future does fit, map, molpy and midnight. We now understand how they could make such sturdy sandcastles (salt.) We understand why they didn't know if it was possible to swim in rivers (also salt.) We understand why Cueball tasted the sea (more salt), and why they didn't understand why it was rising, even though it looked like a tide to us. We understand how there could be such a weird mix of flora and fauna. We know how the gorge formed. We even know that it's the Rhone that is pretty neat and bigger than it looked. We have a plausible hypothesis for the markings on the baobabs and abandoned campfires. The first frames to confuse us were what the first part of Randall knowing everything looked like.

I'd better molpy down before the Sun Solpies up.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:59 am UTC

Well, might as well molpy down...
Nothings gonna happen until they get out of the fortress,
and that's not going to happen until...

oh.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:59 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Stray thought.
I'm tending to agree that Megball panicked when they took off running. And if they're left to their own devices, who knows how long they'll keep running blindly.
Here's the stray thought: if Rosetta has some type of intercom (including yelling really loudly), she can stop Megball before they get too far, so that she can offer some sort of quick method to take them as far back home as possible. The Beanies should have something for long distance travel. Just look at the amount of land her map covers; along with the implication she knows the breach is recent. (If the only way for Beanies to travel was by foot, the news of the collapse wouldn't have made it back to the castle.)

(re Rosetta's leader speach/Librarian comments: didn't I call her "Dean Jeri" in my blindposts yesterdip?) (Rosetta is the better name.)

I think they're worried that they'll be stopped "for their own good". Hence the running, at least until they're out of the city.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

CasCat

EscapONG

Postby CasCat » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:00 am UTC

<edit to add> ...act casual....
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Randdamn it, it's 5AM here and now I simply must wait for the next newpic...

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:01 am UTC

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:

I guess than answers the beanie hat/hair question. That beanie seems to have removed his titular hat.

Eternal Density

(...Oh!)

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:03 am UTC

Hi!
Just letting folks know that I'm keeping ketched up this wixend even if I don't post much. It's all very exciting!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:04 am UTC

Kind of looks like they were waiting outside, maybe they gathered what happened and are going to try to stop Cuegan? Or maybe they'll be accompanying Cuegan?
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:05 am UTC

Is that what tending to matters looks like?
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:06 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:

I guess than answers the beanie hat/hair question. That beanie seems to have removed his titular hat.

Which Beanie is that? (Oh, where's BlitzGirl, she was the one who could tell them apart the best.)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:08 am UTC

We're either in for a long stretch of running and hurried climbing, or... I don't think any Beanies will try to physically stop them, but remember, they already know what Megan and Cueball were going to find out and they might have anticipated the reaction. They just might be waiting outside with a "this will help you on your quest" item or two.

(Some horses would be pretty damn useful, even if only for going as far as the cliffside survey tower.)

Overtaken by the ONG, so, okay, there are some Beanies waiting outside, and Cuegan aren't just dashing past them, so we'll soon see... well, I won't until after coma.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:14 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:
ucim wrote:This is where the die will be cast.

Or this is where the cast will die.
Truer words were never spoken!
a_s_h_e_n wrote:Kind of looks like they were waiting outside, maybe they gathered what happened and are going to try to stop Cuegan? Or maybe they'll be accompanying Cuegan?
That would be cool... communication will still be a barrier, but that just makes the quest more epic. Though I still think they should have gotten more out of Rosetta before bolting.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”