1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: EscapONG

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:15 am UTC

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:
<edit to add> ...act casual....

Well, here's a Hitchcock moment for you. This frame, after all the drama and tension, actually made me laugh out loud. (And CasCat's caption only improves the effect.) Bravo!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

pelrigg

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:21 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:

I guess than answers the beanie hat/hair question. That beanie seems to have removed his titular hat.

Which Beanie is that? (Oh, where's BlitzGirl, she was the one who could tell them apart the best.)

Ahem *cough* *cough*!
It so happens I'm the one who did the initial Beanie ID thingie. BlitzGirl, who was around at that particular time, did the cross reference while the five were hiking to the castle.
Any way: Image <Beanie Gallery 1>
I don't have a zoom of all the new beanies (yet), but I'd say that it is Beanie-1 with the female student from M2835-2839. (Beanedette?)
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:21 am UTC

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:

Cueball: Uh...Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal. Everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine--we're all fine here now. Thank you. How are you?
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:22 am UTC

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:52 am UTC

Point of Trivia:
While looking up the Beanie ID info for my last post, I noticed something that slipped by in the "OMR, the alt-text" chaos.

In my notepad I have to keep track of the OTCa (frame numbers, hash numbers, where I got the pic from, etc.), I also note Total Time Passage Since the First Frameb with a x-many hundreds of hours note. (Yeah, So?)
Frame M2921, the first full Newpic with the new alt-text "RUN" was also the 2800th Hour of the OTC. (If my math is correct.) Coincidence?
Spoiler:

a To go with my picture file with all the Time Frames.
b From the explain-wiki Time pages.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:59 am UTC

***Blindposting NP 1100***

Wolpy! How wonderful SBN. It has been some time since my wife and I did a dog wolpy run. Or even a cat meowlpy run, for that matter.

Ooh, triangulation maps! Has anyone done an overlay to try and match it up with possible coastlines on Google maps?

Um...um...still need a male voice over for Cueball? When I was doing call center tech support I was often told I should be on radio.

Wow! City! People! Skim skim skim, must reach the present.

Reach the present...
Reach the present...
Reach the present...
Reach the present...
Reach the present...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:00 am UTC

Happy 44th anniversary of the moon landONG
Call me Teddy. I'd edit my username if I could.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:04 am UTC

"74'WS." means, "Thanks." Or "Screw you guys, I'm going home."
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:04 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Frame M2921, the first full Newpic with the new alt-text "RUN" was also the 2800th Hour of the OTC. (If my math is correct.) Coincidence?
Doubt it. But what is special about 2800? Just being a round hundred isn't all that significant to me.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:06 am UTC

Moose Anus wrote:"74'WS." means, "Thanks." Or "Screw you guys, I'm going home."

Name of the food they gave them (and part name of the paste for her leg). But who knows maybe they use the name of that food as an insult that means screw you guys as well ;)

ucim wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Frame M2921, the first full Newpic with the new alt-text "RUN" was also the 2800th Hour of the OTC. (If my math is correct.) Coincidence?
Doubt it. But what is special about 2800? Just being a round hundred isn't all that significant to me.

Jose

Yeah may not mean much. Note M2921 is out by 120 units because of the first 5 dix (120 hours) that were double time. So that matches up with the 2800 you calculated when you also remember that you get an one added on which is the first frame that came out at zero hours. So it was indeed exactly 2800 hours since the start of Time.
Last edited by Latent22 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:08 am UTC

Teddy/nickjbor wrote:Happy 44th anniversary of the moon landONG
<snip image>

Thanks for the reminder, Teddy.
At least they're trying to say "Good bye" even if the Beanies can't understand. And it looks like Beanie-1 IS putting his hat (ringlet?) back on. It must be a sign of respect for them.

suzi

Postby suzi » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:09 am UTC

More than anything else, the alt-text actually changing makes me think this is near the end...

Re: GLR having everything planned out -- What I want to know is, when did "Ted M." submit his ocean draining What If? Obviously it was only posted recently, but for Mediterranean Sea drainage to be something GLR planned from NP 0, and for it to be informed by the ocean draining question (which seems extremely likely to me)...

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:10 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
Moose Anus wrote:"74'WS." means, "Thanks." Or "Screw you guys, I'm going home."

Name of the food they gave them (and part name of the paste for her leg). But who knows maybe they use the name of that food as an insult that means screw you guys as well ;)

Oh yeah? Well corn dog!
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:11 am UTC

The Beanie on the right is standing and putting the beanie back on... Expecting to come with? (But expecting the destination to be... Where?)

ETA: huh, Pope again. Decree: Wait for It.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:13 am UTC

It looks like the Beanie is intending to go with them.

ETA: Snipe-ninja'd by nerdsniped.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:14 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:The Beanie on the right is standing and putting the beanie back on... Expecting to come with? (But expecting the destination to be... Where?)

Or he's getting ready to fight them and keep them from possibly killing themselves.
I can hope for a little action right? It's been 700 newpix since the only attack.
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:15 am UTC

Why is Megan taking off her backpack? It was on her back for the last few newpix. Maybe she's planning to give it back, since that's probably the one they loaned her, but then why bother grabbing it from Rosetta's room in the first place?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:18 am UTC

On the subject of how the hell they're going to get to the Cueganites in time and how they're going to save them...

Isn't there a really big (and pretty neat) river right next door? Rivers make pretty good means of transportation, if you have something like, say, a boat, right? Which would also be useful for rescuing people from a flood?

And they are currently situated on what was once an island, not far from what was once a major coastal city, both of which once had harbors and therefore boats in them, no?

And they are with people who have proven to be able to rebuild old low-tech structures like castles.

Doesn't seem so implausible that the Beanies may have repaired a boat, and may be able to sail it up and down the neo-Rhone and out to the Balearic Sea.

ETA: This would also explain how they managed to contact so many people around the basin so quickly. The big question is, why have Cuegan's people and the Beanie Fleet never seen each other before? How can the Cueganites possibly be so isolated that a widespread effort to intentionally find everybody in the basin would miss them? How is there such a tiny population of only 40 people who have hardly any contact with anyone else in the world, anyway? [EDIT: Spelling and grammar]
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:22 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:20 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:On the subject of how the hell they're going to get to the Cueganites in time and how they're going to save them...

Isn't there a really big (and pretty neat) river right next door? Rivers make pretty good means of transportation, if you have something like, say, a boat, right? Which would also be useful for rescuing people from a flood?

And they are currently situated on what was once an island, not far from what was once a major coastal city, both of which once had harbors and therefore boats in them, no?

And they are with people who have proven to be able to rebuild old low-tech structures like castles.

Doesn't seem so implausible that the Beanies may have repaired a boat, and may be able to sail it up and down the neo-Rhone and out to the Balearic Sea.

Seems like they would've had to make some kind of fleet in order to warn and evacuate everyone properly (as in, to spread the information fast enough)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:21 am UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:Seems like they would've had to make some kind of fleet in order to warn and evacuate everyone properly (as in, to spread the information fast enough)

Damn, ninja'd :)

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:24 am UTC

Posts got bumped by a new poster.
floppy_gunk wrote:I was about to get the ONG, and then realised I don't know how to post images... How do you do it?

Welcome. Have to post a few time to prove your not a bot before they let you post links and images I think. Once you have got a few valid posts then you just find the url of the current Time image click the Img button at the top and paste in the link. And put a ONG word at the top.

Code: Select all

ONG!
[img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/bc54161944cf7c58f1084db5e7bd02b53b05ce28f87e019cd56aad996138b4d5.png[/img]

just have to make sure the link you paste looks like the above but with a different random hash bit for the current frame before you post.

ETA: wait now its jumped like 8 or something? or are we going backwards?
Last edited by Latent22 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:25 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
a_s_h_e_n wrote:Seems like they would've had to make some kind of fleet in order to warn and evacuate everyone properly (as in, to spread the information fast enough)

Wait what?

Pfhorrest wrote:ETA: This would also explain how they managed to contact so many people around the basin so quickly. The big question is, why have Cuegan's people and the Beanie Fleet never seen each other before? How can the Cueganites possibly be so isolated that a widespread effort to intentionally find everybody in the basin would miss them? How is there such a tiny population of only 40 people who have hardly any contact with anyone else in the world, anyway?

And how did Cuegan know what castles looked like if they were so isolated?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:28 am UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

Wait what?

While I was editing my post to point out that boats would enable the Beanie warning mission, you posted a new post pointing that out too, ninja-ing me.

Pfhorrest wrote:ETA: This would also explain how they managed to contact so many people around the basin so quickly. The big question is, why have Cuegan's people and the Beanie Fleet never seen each other before? How can the Cueganites possibly be so isolated that a widespread effort to intentionally find everybody in the basin would miss them? How is there such a tiny population of only 40 people who have hardly any contact with anyone else in the world, anyway?

And how did Cuegan know what castles looked like if they were so isolated?

Another good question. Apparently they knew what castles were like, in concept, but had no idea if there were actual castles actually in existence somewhere in the world.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:32 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:The big question is, why have Cuegan's people and the Beanie Fleet never seen each other before? How can the Cueganites possibly be so isolated that a widespread effort to intentionally find everybody in the basin would miss them? How is there such a tiny population of only 40 people who have hardly any contact with anyone else in the world, anyway?
Maybe they are looked down upon as inferior scavangers, unworthy of much effort or attention, the way people in the present look down on certain groups that... well... they don't care for. Politics remains alive and well.

Latent22 wrote:Once you have got a few valid posts then you just find the url of the current Time image...
but make sure it's the one with the hash (which is that specific image) rather than the one that says time.png (which is the placeholder for the most current, spoiler image).

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:34 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
edo wrote:WRT languages: Hebrew hasn't changed much in 5000 years right? Just a bunch of loanwords added? I think written (and studied) languages will have a much longer shelf life. English might be well studied due to the preponderance of it in "ancient texts" (hey my ancient texts were in English! How fortuitous!)

Hebrew is probably a special case, given the central importance of the Torah and its study. I think that would tend to keep the language more or less stable, since most males (at least) study it for at least a while and there are many scholars. It is meticulously copied out, though errors are known to occur.

Blindposting here - Modern Israeli Hebrew has already diverged enough from Torah Hebrew that an Israeli who hasn't studied the latter has a *lot* of difficulty understanding it.

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:34 am UTC

schwartzbewithyou wrote:I have been lurking since the beginning of time! The excitement is too much to keep to myself anymore!!

(PS.. how can I avoid my message being marked as spam?! I have a longer post that I wanted to submit but it keeps being marked as spam :( The XKCD FAQ doesn't offer me much help either?)

Found another firstpost! Hi schwartzbewithyou, welcome :D Until you have 5 posts, you're not allowed to post links or images. So until then you'll just have to RUN1

1That just doesn't have the same ring to it :(

BrianX

Postby BrianX » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:37 am UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
edo wrote:WRT languages: Hebrew hasn't changed much in 5000 years right? Just a bunch of loanwords added? I think written (and studied) languages will have a much longer shelf life. English might be well studied due to the preponderance of it in "ancient texts" (hey my ancient texts were in English! How fortuitous!)

Hebrew is probably a special case, given the central importance of the Torah and its study. I think that would tend to keep the language more or less stable, since most males (at least) study it for at least a while and there are many scholars. It is meticulously copied out, though errors are known to occur.

Blindposting here - Modern Israeli Hebrew has already diverged enough from Torah Hebrew that an Israeli who hasn't studied the latter has a *lot* of difficulty understanding it.

That's kinda how it happens with real-world languages. The tension between uniformity and everyday usage has been a major issue for Esperanto speakers over the years too (and Esperanto, IIRC, was created around the same time as Modern Hebrew, give or take a couple decades).

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:38 am UTC

marchlight wrote:
schwartzbewithyou wrote:I have been lurking since the beginning of time! The excitement is too much to keep to myself anymore!!

(PS.. how can I avoid my message being marked as spam?! I have a longer post that I wanted to submit but it keeps being marked as spam :( The XKCD FAQ doesn't offer me much help either?)

Found another firstpost! Hi schwartzbewithyou, welcome :D Until you have 5 posts, you're not allowed to post links or images. So until then you'll just have to RUN1

1That just doesn't have the same ring to it :(

Better than "Until then you'll just have to ..."

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:41 am UTC

Found a few more first time posters that have just been approved so bringing them forward.

Yeah you have to read the forum posting rules that state you have to make several posts before you can posts links and images to make sure your not a bot. Just post words only at first.

NickSchweitzer wrote:I guess I've mostly considered myself a lurker on this forum as I keep track of this comic. You guys have done a ton of work to figure out exactly when and where things are happening...

One possible explanation that I don't think I've seen yet mentioned (and I apologize if it was mentioned)... is that people have tracked the stars into the future. What if the star patterns line up with a time in the distant past? The whole Mediterranean flooding thing strikes me as one of the possible explanations for the story of Noah (or the older version of Gilgamesh and the flood). Some people have theorized that the flood actually did happen, but that it was some sort of natural damn that burst suddenly which drained one entire sea into another, and that over time the story was changed and retold to try to explain what happened.

yeah the Noah thing has been mentioned many times. The stars that they tracked are moving apart over time and are spread out too far to be in the past some time unless they are different stars that have since gone somewhere else which is not really likely. And now it has been confirmed in the OTC itself that this has happened before which makes this more likely to be the future talking about what we know happened 6 million years ago.

myhelfy wrote:I am disgustingly filled with admiration. For everything. Everywhere. All over.

I know there's crazy-huge-exciting things happening in the OTC right now and that's a bad time for a forever-lurker (i.e., since the first page of this thread was *the* page of this thread) to make a first post that isn't directly working through a current dilemma, but this whole journey Randall's taken us on has left me increasingly impressed. Not just with him -- I think we've long known how stunningly creative, intelligent and meticulous he is, and how varied and wide-ranging his mastery is of a huge range of subjects. But with... us.

Or, well, you. I just got here as a poster. :)

I know this kinda thing has been said before -- at this point in the thread, I feel almost like every topic in existence has likely been said before -- but I have absolutely adored seeing how this thread has evolved with the story, and how different posters have come out of the woodwork to offer whatever expertise they have that matches the scene folks are analyzing. From...

• the initial programming (and subsequent improvement work) done to track newpix and compare differences from one to the next;
  • to the architecture analysis as the sandcastle was built;
  • to the cartography work as Cuegan began their travels;
  • to the identification and classification of vegetation/animals and the attempt to place them geographically;
  • to the absolutely incredible star-chart analyses;
  • to the intricate dissection of a language heretofore unseen by man or beast;
  • to the ultimate pinpointing of Cuegan's specific location and time in Earth's history;
  • to the attempts to de-mustard Rosetta's halting translations (which is, at last, the one thing in the OTC that I feel I can finally do pretty well by myself, instead of waiting for others to do the expert analysis for me);
  • and everything else in between (including all the off-topic, colorful stuff, not least of which includes the development of what's nearly become an internal dialect only understood by people who post/lurk in this thread),

the entire comic -- and the epic thread I feel honored have an excuse to finally post in -- has highlighted the passion, the expertise, the diversity and the camaraderie of a stunningly large and diverse array of people from around the world. I'm amazed, and I'm humbled, and I'm tremendously thankful to all of you for the mind-boggling amount that I've learned about our past, our possible future, and the myriad pieces of knowledge and brilliance that each of us hold in our minds (and fingers) and choose to bring forward in order to educate, enlighten and share with their community.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. And to Randall for making it all happen. :)

Welcome :)

colinclout12 wrote:So...regarding the the new Messinian salinity crisis: Wikipedia says (though without citation) "Thus one could predict theoretical temperature maxima of around 80°C (176 °F) at the lowest depths of the dry abyssal plain."!!!! How on earth could they survive that far below sea level?

Don't know the answer to that sorry.

thunderrabbit wrote:
CasCat wrote:Edit to add: I'm not disappointed by the Big Reveal in the map; I'm quite sure (having been one myself) that there are plenty of people following Time who aren't in, or have never heard of, the OTT. I know this because I was one of them until about page 733....

Confirmed!

I had bookmarked aubronwood's viewer and would check it once a month or so, but only discovered the OTT when it was at page 1140.

Yeah you have to search for it.

Their may be another 3 first posts I haven't found yet but not sure!

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:NickSchweitzer wrote:
I guess I've mostly considered myself a lurker on this forum as I keep track of this comic. You guys have done a ton of work to figure out exactly when and where things are happening...

One possible explanation that I don't think I've seen yet mentioned (and I apologize if it was mentioned)... is that people have tracked the stars into the future. What if the star patterns line up with a time in the distant past? The whole Mediterranean flooding thing strikes me as one of the possible explanations for the story of Noah (or the older version of Gilgamesh and the flood). Some people have theorized that the flood actually did happen, but that it was some sort of natural damn that burst suddenly which drained one entire sea into another, and that over time the story was changed and retold to try to explain what happened.

yeah the Noah thing has been mentioned many times. The stars that they tracked are moving apart over time and are spread out too far to be in the past some time unless they are different stars that have since gone somewhere else which is not really likely. And now it has been confirmed in the OTC itself that this has happened before which makes this more likely to be the future talking about what we know happened 6 million years ago.

Also, the existence of castles and the houses and gates, the telescope and assorted towers, all point to the idea that modern times (as in now and the preceding few centuries) have already come and gone.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:57 am UTC

ucim wrote:

Jose

With due respect, I'll try to clarify some things from that post.
Not every number around here has to be a "computer number" does it?
We celebrate centi-posts around here don't we? ("Congrats on your 100th, or 400th, or 1800th, etc.") 100th birthdays and anniversaries are noted on the Outside.
But, while there may not be something super-special about 2800, Randall did choose to change the alt-text then; when the alt-text of "..." might have been better, build more suspense and so on before they started running in the next frame (and then change the alt-text at the same time.)
He could have drug the conversation out for a few more hours, and then the "RUN" frame.
So maybe it was coincidence after all.

BrianX

Postby BrianX » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:58 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
colinclout12 wrote:So...regarding the the new Messinian salinity crisis: Wikipedia says (though without citation) "Thus one could predict theoretical temperature maxima of around 80°C (176 °F) at the lowest depths of the dry abyssal plain."!!!! How on earth could they survive that far below sea level?

Don't know the answer to that sorry.

I would tend to think this is one of those freebies SF authors take -- a bit of suspension of disbelief. In any case, I would imagine it's hot, but since they weren't at the very bottom of the Med it might be a little easier to live. And, truthfully, the population has probably never been high to begin with -- Cuegan seems to have always been relatively isolated, and most of their knowledge of the outside world seems to have been through folklore.

For what it's worth, if they weren't stick figures, I'd imagine the two of them being somewhat awkwardly dressed in blankets because at that depth and heat, the only thing they'd likely wear would be whatever passes for daisy dukes in their time and place...

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:03 am UTC

Keep runnONG

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:10 am UTC

Aw, was hoping for a little more conversation. Then again, Cuegan have to RUN.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:12 am UTC

It looks like Beanie-1 was just chillin' on the grass making small talk with his lady friend after all. And putting on his hat was a sign of respect.
Doesn't look like he was there to stop them.
I still would like to think Rosetta will try to help them get back home.

Well, that will have to Wait 'til the dawning.
Coma out.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:16 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
They get the planks and poles from their river, which, because it doesn't reach the sea, dumps anything it carries for their use. They probably don't have hardware. I think they most likely tied their scaffolding together with ropes, which can be pretty sturdy if you know what you're doing, which they do, because they probably make everything out of ropes, driftwood, and some kind of canvas. Because they know how to make complex things out of simple parts they could make a raft.

I beg to differ. In frames M470-480, it looks to me like Megan is lifting the horizontal board into a prepared position, then fastening it down with bolts or pegs; there's no sign of lashing. And the railing they erect from M548 to M569 goes up too evenly and easily; it has the look of a prepared kit, not salvaged flotsam. (They could have salvaged it from a wreck, as I suggested above.)

Hmmm, true, I probably just inferred that they used lashings because it didn't seem like they would have nails or screws... perhaps they are just really good at carpentry and cut the pieces to interlock without fastening? I'm not a construction expert so anything I say is speculation anyway :) though I always found it odd that we never saw them put up the back poles to make a nice rectangular base for the platform that held the upper castle... or did we?
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:22 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:The big question is, why have Cuegan's people and the Beanie Fleet never seen each other before? How can the Cueganites possibly be so isolated that a widespread effort to intentionally find everybody in the basin would miss them? How is there such a tiny population of only 40 people who have hardly any contact with anyone else in the world, anyway?
Maybe they are looked down upon as inferior scavangers, unworthy of much effort or attention, the way people in the present look down on certain groups that... well... they don't care for. Politics remains alive and well.

True, they could explain how they are isolated, but my bigger curiosity is how they can exist in such isolation with so few people. Biologists correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure 40 people is not a viable breeding population. That's a handful of large families, or a dozen small ones. Which means the Cueganites are either the last remnants of a people who were already dying before their entire world was deluged, or are a very recent splinter group of a larger viable breeding population, or are horribly inbred, or some combination of the three (need more of the other two the less you have of any one).

Perhaps they are some kind of outcasts from the Hill People? Maybe there were a handful of Hill families who did something horrible and were exiled, which would explain why the Hill People don't like the Cueganites. Cuegan and their generation could have been little kids or unborn yet when the split happened, so all they know is "the Hill People don't like us", and none of the details about why. There are newer little kids in their population now, but a few unrelated families is enough people to have a few new kids without any inbreeding.

Or maybe the Hill People are general assholes of some sort and a small group of disadvantaged people fled down river to escape persecution or oppression.

Either way, it seems that Cueganite civilization is most likely very young, assuming they're not all dying off or horribly inbred, neither of which are in evidence. This could also explain why they live in tents, yet evidently have knowledge of better building techniques than that: maybe they just haven't had time to really build their settlement yet? (Good thing too, since most homeowners' insurance doesn't cover floods).

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:29 am UTC

So it looks like they aren't stopping for the Beanie. Prediction: 4 newpix hence, the Beanie come running behind them and joins them on their new quest.

Molpy down.
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Eternal Density

(RUN molpy RUN)

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:29 am UTC

This is what the first part of tending to matters looks like.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:43 am UTC

Mustard! Chirping mustard! Chirpety chirp CHIRP!

Why in Randall's name is all of this excitement in the OTC happening now, the one wip of the entire year when I will have no wifi? Aside from having to blitz over 50 newpages (that's definitely too seaish to be mere ketchup) on my phone, I find that the title text has changed(!) not once, but twice(!!).

Chirp. Anyway, I've read the OTT to this point, but the actual wedding is finally happening tomorrip, so no doubt I will rapidly fall behind again. *sigh*
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”