1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Fictioneer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Fictioneer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:56 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:It looks like Beanie-1 was just chillin' on the grass making small talk with his lady friend after all. And putting on his hat was a sign of respect.

My immediate thought when I saw him putting it on was that he was caught "out of uniform" and had to hastily correct that. Anyhow, it's time for me to ...molpy down.
(Tried and couldn't put an image in there. I seem to have forgotten how, after doing it once, successfully. I'm so in awe of how the rest of you do it so quickly and effortlessly.)
Last edited by Fictioneer on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:56 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:Early in the thread, there was talk of the pitch drop experiment. Well, the pitch has finally dropped, and we are no longer commanded to wait for it.

Anyone else's brain jump the track (no pun intended) from pitch to bass and read this as a Harlem Shake reference?
Tone-wise (again, no pun intended) it's not a bad metaphor for the OTC right now....
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:59 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Mustard! Chirping mustard! Chirpety chirp CHIRP!

Why in Randall's name is all of this excitement in the OTC happening now, the one wip of the entire year when I will have no wifi? Aside from having to blitz over 50 newpages (that's definitely too seaish to be mere ketchup) on my phone, I find that the title text has changed(!) not once, but twice(!!).

Chirp. Anyway, I've read the OTT to this point, but the actual wedding is finally happening tomorrip, so no doubt I will rapidly fall behind again. *sigh*

Minister: Do you Michelle take this Man to be your husband. To honor and..
BlitzGirl's Phone: beep
Minister: STOP USING THAT CHIRPEN PHONE!!!! THIS IS A CHIRPEN WEDDING FOR RANDALS SAKE!!!!
Minister: oh sorry I mean gods sake. Have they found out if their family drowned yet?
BlitzGirl: .....

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Why in Randall's name is all of this excitement in the OTC happening now, the one wip of the entire year when I will have no wifi? Aside from having to blitz over 50 newpages (that's definitely too seaish to be mere ketchup) on my phone, I find that the title text has changed(!) not once, but twice(!!).

Chirp. Anyway, I've read the OTT to this point, but the actual wedding is finally happening tomorrip, so no doubt I will rapidly fall behind again. *sigh*

Don't be deterred, Blitzgirl! You've done it before, and you can do it again! We have faith :D

Not lONG till Blitzgirl begins BlitzONG again!

Getting late already - how many newpix has it been since the Long Night?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:04 am UTC

Don't worry, if you fall behind just keep the faith and...
Spoiler:
RUN.

Although I'm still suspicious that all this OTC excitement is entirely your doing Image

ETA... molpy down. Glad I didn't miss all the excitement.
Spoiler:
sleepingotters.JPG

coma otters.jpg
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:05 am UTC

Prediction: they're going to light a fire to signal their mates. With Morse code.

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:06 am UTC

This is a piece of land he didn't show us before
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

rmcurtis

Postby rmcurtis » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:18 am UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:This is a piece of land he didn't show us before

I do believe this has been shown before, from M2834 to M2839. They were on the way up to the castle and passed the student (learner?).

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:28 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Getting late already - how many newpix has it been since the Long Night?
I think the last night that happened was the one where they slept with the Beanies (bow chirpa bean wow). It looks like they're taking breaths mid-sentence because they're running so hard. They can't keep this speed up for much longer.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

rmcurtis

Postby rmcurtis » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:38 am UTC

Moose Anus wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Getting late already - how many newpix has it been since the Long Night?
I think the last night that happened was the one where they slept with the Beanies (bow chirpa bean wow). It looks like they're taking breaths mid-sentence because they're running so hard. They can't keep this speed up for much longer.

Right, the night at the Beanies was a while ago now. M2693 to be exact. So, we are 238 np into this day. Considering there are only 960 minutes in a typical 16-hour awake period, and np seem to typically be a few minutes apart, there can't be much day left. I predict they won't make it to the tower tonight. (And hope I'm wrong, because I really want to see what they see from there!)

r34ver

Postby r34ver » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:39 am UTC

*Blindposting*

I feel a bit like Baldrick with one of his stupid ideas.... but... I've got a cunning plan...

In the 1920s Herman Sörgel concocted a plan to lower the level of the Mediterranean by creating a dam/dams thus creating extra landmass named "Atlantropa". Nazi Germany were interested in the idea too.

Would/Could such a plan help the Cuegans at this late stage? It might help the Knowledge Fortress stay above water as it is on the predicted shore of the 'new' med.

Do we know the number of beanies available as workforce? That said, they also seem not to have access to means of transport other than walking so it might be too late for them to walk to strait of Gibraltar and then build a dam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:01 am UTC

Finally some common sense on running is taking hold.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:02 am UTC

CommONG sense

But Cue, the alt-text says RUN still - that means you HAVE to run!

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:04 am UTC

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but my alt-text is back to "Wait for it"

ETA: Hmmm,very strange, I had the new picture with them deciding to slow down, with the alt-text "Wait for it". When I manually refreshed the page myself, the alt-text switched back to "RUN"
Last edited by b2bomberkrh on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:06 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:I didn't see this posted anywhere, but my alt-text is back to "Wait for it"

Really? Mine still says "RUN." Just ctrl + F5'd (to clear browser cache) to be sure

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:08 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:I didn't see this posted anywhere, but my alt-text is back to "Wait for it"

Really? Mine still says "RUN." Just ctrl + F5'd (to clear browser cache) to be sure

I guess there was some problem that refreshing cleared, but how could the Java triggered refresh have shown the new page, but the wrong alt-text, and refreshing the page myself fixed it? I can't even speculate. But anyway, you can just carry on about your business. This isn't the alt-text you're looking for.

tavella

Postby tavella » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:11 am UTC

I'm guessing that the plan is to run back to the tower, where they can sleep without having to take shifts and also resupply, and then maybe back to the abandoned cabin to build a raft and go down the river.

DJ3000

Postby DJ3000 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:22 am UTC

Lurking from the beginning... Created an account to say hi and join in the excitement. I've really enjoyed the OTC especially because of all the folks here on the OTT. You guys and gals are so smart, funny and creative. :D :D :D :D :D

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:25 am UTC

Khrushy wrote:So one part of this comic has consistently irked me for the last day.

The Beanies have the building skill required to build quite reasonable structures (also apparently pyramids), and they also have telescopes. Cuegan seems obviously from a contempary time period also.

So why the **** are they all drawing on the ground with sticks like cavemen? Someone bring out a piece of paper and a pencil. Writing implements are not a new concept.

{P1073}
And then have Grandell draw the piece of paper mysteriously suspended in the sky so that we could see it? Be reasonable man. It would take the Tread hundreds of Pages to finally determine that comic convention rather than hover magic was at play. Kvetching up is already hard to do.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

DJ3000

Postby DJ3000 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:30 am UTC

tavella wrote:I'm guessing that the plan is to run back to the tower, where they can sleep without having to take shifts and also resupply, and then maybe back to the abandoned cabin to build a raft and go down the river.

I'm thinking they are going to go up the tower and try to find out if how far the water has come...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:43 am UTC

SinusPi wrote:All right... So Cueball are 3-circles, Beanies are 2-triangles, but Beardo is circle-triangle-diamond... Hum.

poxic wrote:Big hairy chief can speak your language and ours, plus a third square one?

That could be a good point indeed - but why are Cueball 3 circles, and Beanies 2 triangles...

{P1074}
Prediction - the square language is chirp.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:44 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:Here are the "eyes" made visible by extreme adjustment of the levels.

I can't see this window any more except as a stained-glass representation of a drowning man, hands on either side of his head holding on to a rope or something.

ETA: the rope would have to be behind his head though, which is weird.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

jeffallen55

Postby jeffallen55 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:48 am UTC

Finally created an account yesterday/today. Been following the OTC since the beginning, but only started lurking here recently. Spent the last few hours drinking about 20 newpages worth of ketchup. Now that I'm here, I'm going to coma.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:57 am UTC

Blindposting to say that it looks like, despite the dire predictions last time I visited the OTT, that y'all have found plenty to discuss. Between being sick and juggling a few different jobs, I was away from the OTT for a little over 24 newpix, and I now am 27 newpages behind. :shock: I could have sworn that last time I was here I saw an uncharacteristically negative post from yappobiscuits, but I don't see it now, so it must have been a feverish hallucination. (Although somehow ChronosDragon managed to quote my hallucination; not sure how that happened! :) ) I was never worried about the fate of the OTT. I am however, a little worried abut byteflush--his most recent posts have been sounding so discouraged. I hope he's doing better in the future.

Here are a couple of firstposts that may or may not already have been thrown forward:

Offler wrote:Hi, I'm finally delurking to comment on the possibility that Basque is the basis for Beanish, (lmjb1964 mentioned it but I can't quote yet). It might be a mixture of Arabic and Basque, on the map you can see several big dots, not only the Chateau d'If, there is one between Montpellier and Carcassonne, but the biggest one is in Bilbao, (again, I can't insert a jpg yet) so maybe they trade or otherwise know of people over there.

markhb wrote:Hi all, yet another delurker, I've been following the OTC since sometime back on the beach, and in looking at the OTT off and on, I've decided that I love what you've done with the place! (yappobiscuits, I'm sorry, but for right now at least I'm just going to throw in my observations on the actual comic.)

Congrats to those who pegged the Mediterranean deluge; I was in the Black Sea camp until the most-recent ONGs set me on the true path.
The Monte Cristo castle definitely seems like it's a winner.
Someone said, ages ago I think, that Cuegan had a platonic relationship. I really don't think that's the case (unless "platonic" is taken to mean "not physical lovers"); I've been reading it all along as the tale of Cueball and Megan falling in love. The trebuchet, jumping out of the tree on him, the teasing, the brief awe-struck handholding when they lay eyes upon the castle in frame 2829 (no links because I'm getting flagged as spam, but it's the xkcd.mscha.org numbering), all remind me of a certain young lady at a campground many, many ONGs ago, and while I can't call it love I can say that it led to my first kiss :wink: .

OTOH, I'm still not sure I'm convinced that Cuegan are safe in their current environment. Yes, the beanies helped them and shared their food, but this castle still seems to have a military air about it in some ways. In frame 2822, that Beanie looks like a sentry holding a rifle. The court of Rosetta the Exposition Fairy was reached behind a locked door (and the beanies who were dismissed could have re-locked it), she has taken their gear with the lame excuse that "it's heavy" while conveniently positioning herself between them and it, and her first few questions to Cuegan essentially boiled down to ascertaining that they were there alone, with no backup, and the size of group they could possibly bring to bear... sounds like they could very well be prisoners now. OTOH, the GLR could simply be building that atmosphere into the story as a way to get us mere mortal believers to examine how trusting or suspicious each of us is of people who have done us no harm.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:03 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Lyoug wrote:Cuegan and the beanies can't understand each other because they use outdated communication protocols. Visiting the wise bearded guy, actually a computer geek, will help them...
Spoiler:
upgrade to a better standard.

Do you realize even the order is the same? Just rotate the logo ϖ/2 rad.

{P1075}
Life's too short to remove USB safely.
What if the OTC takes place while Grandell waits for a USB to quiesce?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:10 am UTC

BLUETONGUES...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:19 am UTC

From a practical standpoint, I can see the run back (as far as they can manage it, anyway) taking place at the same pace frame-wise as the journey up, just because there have been a lot of involved pictures recently with buildings and mustardy text and dialogue, and Randall may need/want to start bulking the frames out with easy shots of scenery he's already drawn for a while. There's not been a tendency beforehand to skip over these much, which was key to both the scale of the land and the passing of Time - for instance, Megan getting bored while Cueball slept - and the distance back to the shore is a pretty important factor here. So, my prediction is that it's going to be the same scenery progression on the way back down.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:32 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:Ok, so I readily confess I joined the forums mainly because of my interest in languages and codes. So, I've only been reading since the top of the mountain was reached. Being an aerospace engineer, I did end up going back to read some of the astronomical analysis, and was quite surprised to find out I had missed a meteor. I've picked up enough of the lingo to know that I've been doing some ketchup, but definitely not Blitzing. So, can someone explain the papal references, or tell me how far back I have to (Blitz? ketchup? dip?) to understand?

Also, if Beardo is going to translate for everyone, we don't have much time to figure out what we can on our own!!!

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Pope#Po ... _a_Newpage

I also highly recommend you read the rest of the wiki if you don't have Blitzing in mind. It'll make it easier to jive with our flow, or perhaps flow with our jive.

So, um, please no offense, but that didn't really help much. So...the pope is, the first person to post after a new pic is put up? The first person to comment on the new pic other than the person to post it? Something else? And they're still called the pope, even though the wiki says they aren't? And when they realize they are, they go back and edit their post to add some sort of papal decree?

{P1076}
You can also declare yourself pope of any position on the page (I choose somewhere around nearer the bottom than the middle) and make decrees. Being a middle child of three, I have an aversion to firsts, lasts, round numbers, "special occasions", rules, customs, traditions, habits, protocols, diplomatic work-arounds, etc. etc.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:03 am UTC

Small housongs.

Is the Beany praying on the roof? What is that by his/her knee?
It looks they stopped running and are walking again.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:08 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:<snip>
There is no way Randall didn't plan this out from the beginning. Most of what we've seen has worked towards what's happening now in some way, even if it wasn't obvious at the time that anything important was happening, and there are none of the inconsistencies that would result from not planning it. <snip>

[prediction] LaPetite will have warned the Forty, and they built a raft. Due to unfavourable currents, they find themselves far from the coastline on the sea1. As the youngest member of the tribe, and after all the efforts she had to make to convince the Forty, LaPetite is close to dying of thirst. At the last moment, Cueball's dilgunnerang floats by, and she survives. Shortly after, Cuegan's rescue mission finds the Forty, and they can be saved. [/prediction]

Latent22 wrote:

Minister: Do you Michelle take this Man to be your husband. To honor and..
BlitzGirl's Phone: beep
Minister: STOP USING THAT CHIRPEN PHONE!!!! THIS IS A CHIRPEN WEDDING FOR RANDALS SAKE!!!!
Minister: oh sorry I mean gods sake. Have they found out if their family drowned yet?
BlitzGirl: .....

Montov wrote:Small housongs.
Spoiler:
Is the Beany praying on the roof? What is that by his/her knee?
It looks they stopped running and are walking again.

And hereby I return the turtlemolpy to the little Beanie girl.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:16 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Oh, hey! In all the commotion, we completely forgot that Cassini was taking a picture of Earth an hour ago.

I remembered, and looked up, and smiled.

I notice Hypatia said "you must say your goodbyes from here". Did anyone else think that meant they could communicate over long distance somehow to the forty? Maybe they can use their little towers to send signals or something? I wonder if they could flash the area where the Forty are likely to be with a mirror and the sun using Morse code or something similar. They could warn them about the water at the same time, and let them know where to go to safety. Maybe Cuegan should have waited long enough for Hypatia to say that? It does seem dumb to panic and run when there's not time enough.

But now that Hypatia knows of their existence, and knows their language, maybe she can do that before it's too late for the Forty? In the meantime, Cuegan are just running into danger for no good reason, though.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 am UTC

Montov wrote:Is the Beany praying on the roof? What is that by his/her knee?

It's one of the kids we met earlier.
Appears to be some kind of molptoy...

=-=-=-=-=
ETA:
Tatiana wrote:I notice Hypatia said "you must say your goodbyes from here". Did anyone else think that meant they could communicate over long distance somehow to the forty?

No, I don't think it was meant that literally. More like "There's no point in goin back, there's nothing you can do for them. You need to accept that they're as good as dead." :(

It does seem dumb to panic and run when there's not time enough.

Well, "dumb" and "panic" sort of belong together. It's your subconscious taking over and initiating one of its emergency routines (fight, flight or freeze). Won't lead to rational decisions, but it seems to have been an evolutionary advantage once not to overanalyze things when being ambushed by, say, a sabertooth-meowlpy...

Spoiler:
molptoy.png
Last edited by Zorin_75 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:50 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Go Minim go!

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:40 am UTC

taixzo wrote:I think many of us are just generic molpies.

I identify specifically as a meowlpy, myself. Or actually a whole family of meowlpies.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:00 am UTC

HousONG

Spoiler:

What's changed??

[ETA: nothing, apparently. It seems to be the same hash. The ONG is late. But I would like to take this opportunity to restate my claim to be the nearest OTTer to the geographical location of the OTC. Is anyone closer?]
Last edited by Eutychus on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:01 am UTC

MarathONG
Go Minim go!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:21 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Here are the "eyes" made visible by extreme adjustment of the levels.

I can't see this window any more except as a stained-glass representation of a drowning man, hands on either side of his head holding on to a rope or something.

ETA: the rope would have to be behind his head though, which is weird.

If you look hard enough, you can see it's a g***se drawing :twisted:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:00 am UTC

Ring
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:18 am UTC

Angua wrote:Ring
Spoiler:

He/She says: Hello/Goodbye
It's about time.

highwater

Postby highwater » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:26 am UTC

Having only recently wandered inside, I feel the need to delurk to remark that the word "Journey" in newpix m2917 is superimposed with what appears to be a Beanish "9". I have noticed shapes reminiscent of Beanish letters in my three latest seenpix, as well, but am feeling too comaish to catalog them at this time.

I am attempting to ketchup, but have only reached newpage 1154. These are exciting Times, indeed.

P.S. - is there a different word for de-lurking if one had not previously registered for the One True Forum?

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:28 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Doesn't seem so implausible that the Beanies may have repaired a boat, and may be able to sail it up and down the neo-Rhone and out to the Balearic Sea.

ETA: This would also explain how they managed to contact so many people around the basin so quickly. The big question is, why have Cuegan's people and the Beanie Fleet never seen each other before? How can the Cueganites possibly be so isolated that a widespread effort to intentionally find everybody in the basin would miss them? How is there such a tiny population of only 40 people who have hardly any contact with anyone else in the world, anyway? [EDIT: Spelling and grammar]

I think the answer could be in your own post; they didn't find the Cueganites because they were travelling by river, assuming all populations would be near rivers, but the Cueganites live by a dried-up river which the Beanies couldn't go down. Maybe even past the end of the river (depending on how far the river goes in that season.) Perhaps the reason they live in tents is so they can move to wherever the river is.

What's with this massive slowdown? Only two NP while I comaed. RUN!
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”