1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

higgs-boson

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby higgs-boson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Did anyone theorize yet as to why the Mediterranean (presumably at the Strait of Gibraltar) was plugged up again at some point in the next few thousand years?

If it wasn't plugged up by some volcano or something, then there must have been a sea level drop of about 1500-2000 feet to cut off the sea from the ocean. The only thing that could do that is a severe ice age, the kind of which i don't think would be possible on the timescale of just a few thousand years.

It must have been something like a volcano or formation of a super-volcano caldera I guess.

Yes. Image

There must have been some kind of apocalypse that destroyed human civilization, and whatever it as (nuclear war, supervolcano, comet, whatever) might have caused a nuclear winter, and/or blocked the Strait of Gibraltar. (Even a nuclear winter wouldn't drop the sea level that fast, though, I'd think; those glaciers need a long time to build.)
A significant temperature drop would also explain how the Cueganites can survive in the heat of the Mediterranean basin, 2½ km below sea level.

11000 years in the future? This might be man-made. With population explosion, lowering the sea level will provide priceless new lands to populate.

!%#&* Dutch expansion strategy! All is connected. And all is labeled "The Netherlands".

Edited to add: This page's Pope ponders if the regular posters should put the xkcd-time wiki link in their signature. Opinions, please. Opinions and mousolpies!
Last edited by higgs-boson on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
Spoiler:
It looks like we're in for a long chase sequence. (OK, not a chase precisely, but "race against time sequence" doesn't have quite the same ring.) And what's a chase sequence without some heart-thumping music? So I bring you my first musical OTTification, to the tune of Golden Earring's "Radar Love". (It works best if you hear the music in your head as you read. If you don't know the tune, YouTube has a rather long studio version, as well as a shorter karaoke version.)

And without further ado:
Basin Run
Spoiler:
I've been runnin' all night, the sweat's wet on my brow
There's a voice in my head, that drives me down
It's our people callin', says, "we need you here"
And it's half past four, and we're shifting gear

When the dam breaks and the water comes a flood,
And Rosetta laid it out from above
Don't need no horse at all
We're on a thing that's called a Basin Run
We're gonna sprint all the way there, Basin Run

The night sky's spinning, spinning along
Antares is missing, that must be wrong
The stars have got me hypnotized
And we're speeding into a new sunrise

When the water comes, rising up the bluff
We'll come running, comin' in from above
Don't need no buggy at all
We're gonna sprint all the way there, Basin Run

No more speed, we're almost there
Shoreline's changed, now gotta take care
Last hill to pass, here we go
And the water's rising from below

In my mind, that forgotten song
Our ancestors sang when they moved along
Can't pack up the tents -- water's too strong
Yet another home is gone

When the water rises, and you're not sure what to do
We'll come running, running down to you
We don't need no motor at all
We're on a thing called a Basin Run
We climbed up to the sky
Now we're on long, long Basin Run

I didn't get to listen to and read it earlier, but now I wanted to say: Awefulsome!

higgs-boson wrote:Did you ever wonder what would have happened if that guy would have had knowledge of Cuegan's language?

No? Let me show you:

Spoiler:

:)
Ch*rp happens.
And happy 1000 posts, HAL9000!
edit: I just saw you're already at 1002. Just wait for it six more posts and have it for your 1000th post in the OTT!
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

irino

Postby irino » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

irino wrote:Cue, Meg, and Rose zip line down to the rapidly advancing shore to warn the hill people of their impending doom. Rose uses her Squarese and accidentally insults them, resulting in a heated chase scene with light cycles. Black Hat teleports them back to the present, showing them what the waterline is now. The ending scene is of Meg pointing out Antares to Cue, thinking that the new star is weird.
Thus ends time.

I think I called it, more or less.

lmjb1964, about your being a Santa Cruzean, that is awfulesome! You are dangerously close.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
SinusPi wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
HES wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Oh -- whoops. Misread ttscp's post earlier -- I took it to mean that there wasn't much posting between the ONGs, not that RudeDude was making all the ONG postings.

I did exactly the same thing, but then I have been messing up Density and Destiny since the beginning of Time...

Wait. What? I thought it was Dentistry... :shock:

And here I was willing to bet it was Dynasty.

The Die Nasties? I've actually heard of them... Out of Tennessee...

{P1081}
*looks again* didn't it used to say Infernal Dysentrey?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

WalKONG in circles?

frame 2948 is same scene as frame 2946, only shifted a bit.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Did anyone theorize yet as to why the Mediterranean (presumably at the Strait of Gibraltar) was plugged up again at some point in the next few thousand years?

If it wasn't plugged up by some volcano or something, then there must have been a sea level drop of about 1500-2000 feet to cut off the sea from the ocean. The only thing that could do that is a severe ice age, the kind of which i don't think would be possible on the timescale of just a few thousand years.

It must have been something like a volcano or formation of a super-volcano caldera I guess.

A sea level drop alone could cut off the Mediterannean, but it would refill as soon as the sea rose to the level of the bottom of the channel, well below the present sea level (and hence, nowhere near Chateau d'If).

The Time scenario is that we have water pent up right near the present day sea level. That requires a blockage of the straits. Such a blockage could conceivably have occurred after the Mediterranean was already cut off by a sea level drop or something else, but Occam's Razor suggests that whatever blocked the straits is also what cut the inflow off.

A volcano is a good candidate. Nuclear blasts are a possibility (though with many devils in the details). A manmade dam intended to prevent sea level rise in the Mediterranean from global warming in the third millennium CE (which subsequently gets stuck in the fully closed configuration and can no longer be operated or maintained after a collapse of industrialism) is also an intriguing possibility.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Yes. Image

There must have been some kind of apocalypse that destroyed human civilization, and whatever it as (nuclear war, supervolcano, comet, whatever) might have caused a nuclear winter, and/or blocked the Strait of Gibraltar. (Even a nuclear winter wouldn't drop the sea level that fast, though, I'd think; those glaciers need a long time to build.)
A significant temperature drop would also explain how the Cueganites can survive in the heat of the Mediterranean basin, 2½ km below sea level.

Ah! One can always trust in your wisely musings :) I totally agree with you... makes sense... there is no way they'd survive unless the global climate was much much cooler. I also agree it's too short a time for the cooling to have caused the sea drop though. It's either a blockage due to the event, or, I guess, more likely, drained via portal to mars.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

mscha wrote:WalKONG in circles?

And this is why the beanies were leading and trailing them the first time by. It's getting late, I wonder if we'll have another sunset scene. It would make for wonderful drama.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Spoiler:

ε. Maybe they noticed that they took the wrong way (and that's why the background in frame 2947 was new to us (or did we see the scenery in M2947 before?)), and they turned around.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

Hmmm...is the water flowing in so fast that it's bending spacetime? That's how GR works, right?
Lost forever in time...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:

A sea level drop alone could cut off the Mediterannean, but it would refill as soon as the sea rose to the level of the bottom of the channel, well below the present sea level (and hence, nowhere near Chateau d'If).

The Time scenario is that we have water pent up right near the present day sea level. That requires a blockage of the straits. Such a blockage could conceivably have occurred after the Mediterranean was already cut off by a sea level drop or something else, but Occam's Razor suggests that whatever blocked the straits is also what cut the inflow off.

A volcano is a good candidate. Nuclear blasts are a possibility (though with many devils in the details). A manmade dam intended to prevent sea level rise in the Mediterranean from global warming in the third millennium CE (which subsequently gets stuck in the fully closed configuration and can no longer be operated or maintained after a collapse of industrialism) is also an intriguing possibility.

Hmmm. Yes, I like your dam idea... I was trying to think of a humanized justification for building such a thing but I couldn't so my brain skipped over it. I think you nailed it there.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
HES wrote:By my understanding, doesn't a fusion plant require a fission reactor to gain the immense activation energy to begin the fusion process? (Not remotely an expert)

Nope. All you need is four robotic tentacles implanted in your back and a small amount of tritium. :mrgreen:
charlie_grumbles wrote:No. A fusion bomb does, since you want the reaction to be instantaneous and short lived. A tokamak normally uses lasers or some such to focus energy (normally from the grid) into a tiny area.
taixzo wrote:Not necessarily. It just needs a large amount of energy; that could come from any power source, and be stored in supercapacitors for when it is needed to start the process.
You may be thinking of H-bombs, which did indeed use fission to kick-start the process; but that is only really feasible in a bomb scenario, because the immense temperatures would explode any fissionable material within milliseconds.

Ah, at least I'm misremembering rather than being totally wrong.

This repeated frame, I'm less convinced they're going in circles (they've been this way before, and are in a hurry) and instead suspect a small helping of mustard.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Hmmm. Yes, I like your dam idea... I was trying to think of a humanized justification for building such a thing but I couldn't so my brain skipped over it. I think you nailed it there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa
(Posted before in the OTT.)
A German, not the Dutch, who came up with that unholy plan.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Hmmm. Yes, I like your dam idea... I was trying to think of a humanized justification for building such a thing but I couldn't so my brain skipped over it. I think you nailed it there.

The dam would not only prevent Mediterranean Sea from rising, but would also generate jiggawats of electricity due to level difference and faster evaporating Mediterranean Sea. The only problem-it would get even saltier. But that's a small price to pay... if the ocean levels continue to rise, I can see this project as EU priority number 1. Millions of people live on the coast, thousands of ports, hundreds of ancient cities...

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

And is the same scene as M2750 through M2754. I thought I recognized that mound.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:

And this is why the beanies were leading and trailing them the first time by. It's getting late, I wonder if we'll have another sunset scene. It would make for wonderful drama.

Wow. Hard to believe they could get completely turned around like that, with the evening sun in the west. Unless it's finally clouded over.

(Could clouds or storms be an early sign of the deluge in progress? I'm thinking, cold Atlantic water hitting the sweltering basin would brew up some dramatic weather. Dense fog, maybe? I hope not, for Cuegan's sake.)

I also keep thinking the Beanies can't just be hanging around the castle saying, "oh well, easy come, easy go." I predict we'll see them again before Cuegan pass the lower (cliff-edge) tower.

Kieryn wrote:<snip>

Hmmm. Yes, I like your dam idea... I was trying to think of a humanized justification for building such a thing but I couldn't so my brain skipped over it. I think you nailed it there.

It wasn't my idea; someone else suggested it a few newpages ago. I'll go search.

Edit: The one I saw was this post.
Time after Time...

shurikt

Postby shurikt » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Ha ha! Which one of you edited that Wikipedia article to include us?

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

shurikt wrote:
mscha wrote:

Ha ha! Which one of you edited that Wikipedia article to include us?

Edit history says it was user:EutychusFr on July 19 at 5:32. I have no idea what timezone that is.
ETA: Not to be creepy or anything, but I think I found his account here; his name's Eutychus, seems to post a bit in the OTT. Both here and Wikipedia list him as an English-French translator.
Last edited by a_s_h_e_n on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
Tatiana wrote:
taixzo wrote:I think many of us are just generic molpies.

I identify specifically as a meowlpy, myself. Or actually a whole family of meowlpies.

You're a whole family of meowlpies? That's a good trick! If my username doesn't make it obvious, I'm a meowlpy myself. But just one. :)

ETA: speaking of good trickses, it seems that I may be a goat! But I'm still a meowlpy, as always.

Yes, only one of us usually works the leopard, (the others mostly say things like kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkuuuuuuuuuuuu when it's their turn) but we're all deeply involved in the OTT. (Btw, when I first saw your sn, I thought you might be us, since one of us has initials aka. Are you, perhaps, future time-traveling us? We like the avatar you chose. We long since switched to wireless mice due to the phenomenon you depict.)
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:42 pm UTC

Molpity molpity up up up!
Not too much ketchup so I guess I didn't miss anything too exciting, phew! Yup, just more running.
lmjb1964 wrote:<snip> I could have sworn that last time I was here I saw an uncharacteristically negative post from yappobiscuits, but I don't see it now, so it must have been a feverish hallucination.

I removed it because in hindsight it was stupid. Pay no attention. :oops:
higgs-boson wrote:Did you ever wonder what would have happened if that guy would have had knowledge of Cuegan's language?

No? Let me show you:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

*sniff* I smell mustard...
BlitzGirl wrote:No Time to reflect; it's Time now to RUN. (And to get wedding hairdo did and blitz on my phone.)

Blitz like the wind, BlitzGirl!
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl you'd better please blitz and blitz faster
The thread is not gonna get shorter you know
Water is coming, we're growing impatient
And you've still got many newpages to go
So BlitzGirl, blitz like the wind!

I remember the day Randall posted the comic
A couple sat on a beach, it was called "Time"
How could we know that this seed would grow into
An addiction that held us, with every ONG chime

Now four months later we post with the masses
Of OTTers that hang out here waiting for it
As Great Lord Randall continues to publish
Frame upon frame each and every newpix

But now things get exciting inside
And BlitzGirl, you're stuck far behind...

Come back to the present, don't dwell in the past
The thread sure as hell ain't the same here without you
You're everyone's favourite Lightning Lass

Taixzo and CasCat took no time at all
To read through the whole thing, they are BlitzGirls the Fast
But you were the first one, we know you can do it
Just carry on blitzing your way through the past

You’re not our bitch, and you’re not a machine
And we don’t mean to dictate how you spend your days
But please bear in mind it's all kicking off here
And you don't want to get left behind in a daze

Why is it always when you're gone
That the mustard must go hit the fan?
So when the wedding is over and done
Get back in the thread and then RUN!

The sea won't stop rising until it's appeased
There's a hole in the present, cause something is missing
You're missed here like chirp, molpy up BlitzGirl, please!
Yes BlitzGirl, blitz like the wind!

Before Time is over, please blitz like the wind!

Filk of "Write Like The Wind (George RR Martin)" by Paul and Storm
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

shurikt wrote:
mscha wrote:

I heard you're dam idea's and their definately good.
Last edited by hunjoh on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

Various musings:

Dam across the Straights of Gibraltar (human made).
This is pretty unlikely. It is 14km across and between 300 and 900 m deep. I think the negative consequences of such a thing are pretty well known. Especially if you want to lower the level of the Med basin. Doing it for power generation is a different issue, but that wouldn't lower the levels. A huge amount of material that has to come from somewhere if nothing else. Gibraltar itself is a possibility, but why would you do it?

Volcano.
Also pretty unlikely. There is no nearby activity.

Seismic changes.
This is I think, the answer. Plates are grinding here. There is lots of instability. Hurling up a blockage is not out of the question. The Himalayas grew this way.

Ice Age Lowering the sea level.
Possible, but unlikely to be the cause. This decreases the pressure at the straights. It moves the point of force down about 1km. It would also decrease the pressure on the plates. The last major glaciation lowered the mean sea level by only 120 m, not the 300 minimum needed.

The Camarinal Sill at a depth of 300m or so seems to have survived the last filling event, and crosses the strait, I believe. It might limit the size of the "faucet' that fills the basin this time.

Someone said that an ice age takes a long time to develop. Actually this isn't the case. We had a cold spell 25 years ago and some research was done. A single very cold year with widespread snow and little or no summer melting will change the way the sun's energy is absorbed vs reflected. If a certain fraction of the energy is reflected back to space the snows will start to build up everywhere. It won't be a slow advance from the north, but a gradual buildup over a wide area. Once you get feedback going you are in trouble.

We actually have the feedback going in the opposite direction right now. The arctic sea ice is melting. The water is darker than the ice, so more absorption ... still more absorption, and a warming planet. Once the permafrost starts to melt, the stored carbon dioxide/methane there increases the cycle of warming.

Gedeon wrote:

The dam would not only prevent Mediterranean Sea from rising, but would also generate jiggawats of electricity due to level difference and faster evaporating Mediterranean Sea. The only problem-it would get even saltier. But that's a small price to pay... if the ocean levels continue to rise, I can see this project as EU priority number 1. Millions of people live on the coast, thousands of ports, hundreds of ancient cities...

This seems crazy to me. You would disrupt a huge amount of commerce. Leaving millions of people farther and farther from a "beach" becoming more and more polluted and saline would be a hard sell. The salinity of the recovered land would make it difficult to utilize. And the more you let the sea drop, the hotter the climate gets generally. Small price? Nah. Huge price. And you can generate energy without damming it. There is a one way inflow at the surface now, and a one way outflow deep down (fresh v saline).

I don't like your damn idea :twisted:
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Blitz like the wind, BlitzGirl!
Spoiler:

As Great Lord Randall continues to publish

OMR, that's amazing, yappo! Image Image
Last edited by mscha on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Ebonite

Re: Run?

Postby Ebonite » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:I need a reality check here (if the term applies to the OTC)... is RUN actually a good plan, or are Cuegan just panicing? Are we going to see "pant, pant, wheeze" in a few frames? First off, running does not seem like a sustainable pace, especially at altitude and with a healing leg. Second, you'd think it would have been worth at least a few minutes to fine-tune their supplies and consult with Rosetta and/or each other as to route choice.

Although, hmm, I guess it is possible to run 100 miles in 24 hours. How far have Cuegan come, again?

Blindposting from NP1162. . .maybe they'll save time by "skiing" down the mountainside the way they practiced back in frames 1250-1270. :-)
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:00 am UTC

500ONG
Thanks for the cake, Latent22.
Spoiler:
MUSTARD-CHIRPING BEESNAKE-MOLPERS!!and also urethra
!The swearing is directed at whoever ninjas me for the ONG on this, my 500th post. I couldn't think of a good present, even though I had several failed ONGs to think about it, so this and also urethra is all I have to make the post special! But if you ninja'd me, don't feel bad; chirping is actually kind of a fun thing to do, even if beesnake-molping is not to everyone's taste.

A cliff! :shock:
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:03 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
This seems crazy to me. You would disrupt a huge amount of commerce. Leaving millions of people farther and farther from a "beach" becoming more and more polluted and saline would be a hard sell. The salinity of the recovered land would make it difficult to utilize. And the more you let the sea drop, the hotter the climate gets generally. Small price? Nah. Huge price. And you can generate energy without damming it. There is a one way inflow at the surface now, and a one way outflow deep down (fresh v saline).

I don't like your damn idea :twisted:

You have obviously misread what I wrote.

The goal of the project would not be to lower the Med Sea, it would be to stop it from rising!As a citizen of a country that has a fairly large coast on the Med, I know that even the sea rise of 1-2 m will be devastating. Venice-flooded. Dubrovnik-flooded. Every other coastal city-flooded. Lots of infrastructure-flooded. Damage-billions of euros. Lives disrupted? Millions.

The salinity would rise only a bit... and as for the commerce, why not build locks (like Panama canal but bigger)?

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:03 am UTC

Waaaaaall.
It's a waaaaaaaall.
(Molpy molpy molpy...)
Last edited by Ximenez on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:04 am UTC

There's a tunnel from that side to the second tower which we didn't see the first time. That was also where Cuegan slept this in comic morning.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:500ONG
Spoiler:

Back here, it looks like. So after running in a circle once, they've arrived at the tower, it seems. (Or it was mustard after all.)

And happy 500th, Angelastic!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:06 am UTC

We've been here before... M 2744

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:08 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:There's a tunnel from that side to the second tower which we didn't see the first time. That was also where Cuegan slept this in comic morning.

I wonder how old is this thing... it looks like man made, but it's under the current sea level. Beanish in origin?

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:11 am UTC

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
!The swearing is directed at whoever ninjas me for the ONG on this, my 500th post. I couldn't think of a good present, even though I had several failed ONGs to think about it, so this and also urethra is all I have to make the post special! But if you ninja'd me, don't feel bad; chirping is actually kind of a fun thing to do, even if beesnake-molping is not to everyone's taste.

Happy 500th, Angelastic!

Now what's that in Roman numerals? Oh yeah:
Time after Time...

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:14 am UTC

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Happy 500 and congrats on not getting ninja'd :P
mscha wrote:OMR, that's amazing, yappo! Image Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:15 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:No Time to reflect; it's Time now to RUN. (And to get wedding hairdo did and blitz on my phone.)

Blitz like the wind, BlitzGirl!
Spoiler:

As Great Lord called Randall continues to publish

<Wild applause>
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:19 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Back here, it looks like. So after running in a circle once, they've arrived at the tower, it seems. (Or it was mustard after all.)
Ah, that thing! Neat. Edit: to be precise, pretty neat, and even bigger than it looked.

mscha wrote:And happy 500th, Angelastic!
Thanks. I didn't even get ninja'd! (This was about my fourth try though)

And thanks also Rule110 for the cake, and yappobiscuits for the great OTTification of a song I already had in my head all dip because of this. You'd better watch out for BlitzGirl's reaction.

I noticed earlier that EutychusFr also added the OTC to the wikipedia page for the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Château_d%27If]Château d'If[/url] (though not the French version of the page.)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:23 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Blitz like the wind, BlitzGirl!
Spoiler:

As Great Lord called Randall continues to publish

This might need a new word: Wowsomeful!

And happy 500 posts, Angelastic!
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:38 am UTC

Thanks for the comments on the song! I've edited out some mustard in the lyrics I posted - there was a stray word for some reason. It said "Great Lord called Randall", it should've just been "Great Lord Randall". Fixed now.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:48 am UTC

Gedeon wrote:You have obviously misread what I wrote.

The goal of the project would not be to lower the Med Sea, it would be to stop it from rising!As a citizen of a country that has a fairly large coast on the Med, I know that even the sea rise of 1-2 m will be devastating. Venice-flooded. Dubrovnik-flooded. Every other coastal city-flooded. Lots of infrastructure-flooded. Damage-billions of euros. Lives disrupted? Millions.

The salinity would rise only a bit... and as for the commerce, why not build locks (like Panama canal but bigger)?

Sorry if I misunderstood, but you did talk about the difference in sea levels generating massive amounts of energy, so I assumed you meant a large drop in level.

But I still think it fails. Why do you think the salinity will rise only a bit? It is already higher than the Atlantic? It is only mitigated by the current outflows at the sill. It is driven by evaporation and there is no other outlet. And it will continue to increase in salinity as time goes on. Eventually, Dead Sea. I don't know what the ecology is, but probably would be disrupted, both by decreased migration through the strait and the increased salinity. What if I can't get anchoas in Barcelona. Dreadful.

As a solution to rising sea levels driven by global warming I think it is a loser. We have to stop the heat pollution anyway. And the numbers on sea level rise are billions of lives disrupted - worldwide.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:54 am UTC

Gedeon wrote:
moody7277 wrote:There's a tunnel from that side to the second tower which we didn't see the first time. That was also where Cuegan slept this in comic morning.

I wonder how old is this thing... it looks like man made, but it's under the current sea level. Beanish in origin?

I was thinking Beanie in origin, but there are currently man-made structures behind the Château d'If, so maybe there's something in front too (though they'd be above the current sea level.)

In other news, I discovered there's a restaurant called Château d'If not too far from me. I may have to go there with a sign showing the Beanie word for 'castle'.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:58 am UTC

Hmm. Just musing: It seems as if hikers are commoner among OTTers than the general population, or even the general geek population (which is different; ESR once observed that a geek thinks nothing of wearing climbing boots to work, just in case a mountain might suddenly arise in the server room). Is it just that hikers are more captivated by the OTT, or more likely to post? Or is it merely a false impression I'm gathering? In any case, there are a lot of people here who wouldn't give me a blank look if I mentioned Naismith's Rule (even though they might give me an eyeroll).

My personal Naismith Rule is that I can do a little over 3 mph sustained on paved roads. Off road, I figure 30 minutes to the mile, 40-45 minutes per thousand feet of elevation change. OK, I'm a little slow. The big question is, what fraction of their waking time do Cueball and Megan need to spend looking after resupply? Because a week to make the trip - what is it, about 150 miles? - wouldn't be horrible even for me with good support, but would be really tough for our protagonists if they're carrying all their food, and impossible unless they can replenish their water (from the Rhône?) once or twice a day.

We know that they've found a vineyard and a few molberry bushes on the way, but that's not going to provide much in the way of nutrition. Of course, GLR could wave his hands and let them have elven-magical waybread or something, I suppose. But he's typically made his comics 99̇⁴⁴∕₁₀₀% elf-free, so he may have something else up his sleeve.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”