1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angelastic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

If it weren't for the spoiler potential, I'd suggest Flado's avatar change to 'Keep calm and RUN.'

I wonder if the pokémolp is still around.

ETA Papal decree: re-evaluate the scenery, dialogue, flora and fauna we've seen in light of our new knowledge of the location. Also, have a nice day.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

foilman wrote:DescendONG
Spoiler:

I thought Pricklymolp might be hiding in the shadows, but upon further examination that's just the rocks from the previous Pricklymolp encounter. Looks like there's a mysterious molpy disappearance...

ETA: Um...hm. Papal decree...Cuegan's reluctance to swim in the river makes sense if they're used to "swimming" in Dead Sea like conditions. They've probably experienced what it's like to have any sort of an open sore in such a body of water (hint: it's blindingly painful). The continuing rise of sea level is likely to give Cuegan some nasty problems soon; this map shows they're about halfway down to the elevation of the Wowtrees, and I'm guessing the water is about to the level of the dunes by now (at most).
Last edited by frakhorsestaplers on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:21 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

I'll be leaving for a while, off to Britain once again, this time for a bit longer than just a weekend. I'll probably be able to keep up with the OTC, but following the OTT will be difficult.

I wish y'all a good time analysing the OTC and see y'all in two weeksH, *. Bye.

*Assuming Time hasn't ended by then

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Happy 600 Yappo! Here is a cake with exactly 600 pieces of peanut butter cups, or so I am told.
Spoiler:

Indeed, happy 600th, yappo!
But k.bookbinder, you should ask your money back. An estimate: in the lower layer, we can count about 15 pieces, so the circumference is about 30. That's a radius of 30/2π ≈ 4.77. There are about 7 layers, so the volume is approximately 7×π×4.77² ≈ 500. Image
Ah, but once you've cut it up for serving, there will be more pieces.

frakhorsestaplers, you have your quote and spoiler tags interlaced and it's messing up the display. Please fix it. :)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

No sign of Pokey.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

Q: Why hate on stuff that's so easy to skip over if you don't want to read it?
Q: Why risk damaging the wonderful feeling of community and camaraderie on the OTT with bossing people around?

QED: I would love to see a bossing-around-free thread! Down with bossing! Except for anyone bossing people around to tell them not to boss people around, huzzah! That's the exception that makes the bossing around rule. It's okay to meta-boss, just not to boss. And then I guess that means meta-meta-bossing is out. However, meta-meta-meta-bossing is allowed again. All odd-numbers-of-metas-bossing are allowed while even-numbers-of-metas-bossing-including-zero are strictly prohibited. Got that? ;)
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

The flora and fauna seem even more strange since now we know where they are located. I wonder if they all migrated from Madagasca :D . Maybe They were introduced by people because they were the only thing that could survive in the newly created environment.
:( Must coma now but... happy page 1190!... since I will be deep in coma when it occurs.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

adnapemit wrote:The flora and fauna seem even more strange since now we know where they are located. I wonder if they all migrated from Madagasca :D . Maybe They were introduced by people because they were the only thing that could survive in the newly created environment.
:( Must coma now but... happy page 1190!... since I will be deep in coma when it occurs.

What is exactly connecting to Madagascar (except baobab trees)?

We have european hedgehog and european squirrel. Cat is probably from Africa, as eurasian lynx seems too small. Oh, and european vitis vinifera.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:Q: Why hate on stuff that's so easy to skip over if you don't want to read it?
Q: Why risk damaging the wonderful feeling of community and camaraderie on the OTT with bossing people around?

QED: I would love to see a bossing-around-free thread! Down with bossing! Except for anyone bossing people around to tell them not to boss people around, huzzah! That's the exception that makes the bossing around rule. It's okay to meta-boss, just not to boss. And then I guess that means meta-meta-bossing is out. However, meta-meta-meta-bossing is allowed again. All odd-numbers-of-metas-bossing are allowed while even-numbers-of-metas-bossing-including-zero are strictly prohibited. Got that? ;)

Yes, of course. Lessee now....computong, computong,...
Tatiana fetch me a cuppa.
(Did I get enough metas?)
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
mscha wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Happy 600 Yappo! Here is a cake with exactly 600 pieces of peanut butter cups, or so I am told.
Spoiler:

Indeed, happy 600th, yappo!
But k.bookbinder, you should ask your money back. An estimate: in the lower layer, we can count about 15 pieces, so the circumference is about 30. That's a radius of 30/2π ≈ 4.77. There are about 7 layers, so the volume is approximately 7×π×4.77² ≈ 500. Image
Ah, but once you've cut it up for serving, there will be more pieces.

frakhorsestaplers, you have your quote and spoiler tags interlaced and it's messing up the display. Please fix it. :)

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure if it was a loading error or not.

Tatiana wrote:Q: Why hate on stuff that's so easy to skip over if you don't want to read it?

...bossing?

Gedeon wrote:
adnapemit wrote:The flora and fauna seem even more strange since now we know where they are located. I wonder if they all migrated from Madagasca :D . Maybe They were introduced by people because they were the only thing that could survive in the newly created environment.

We have european hedgehog, european squirrel, and a cat that can easily be european lynx. Oh, and european vitis vinifera.

The historic popularity of the Madacascar theory is probably the reason behind continued references to it.

It's nearing 6 am...the prospect of a coma is drawing ever closer.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

frakhorsestaplers wrote:
The historic popularity of the Madacascar theory is probably the reason behind continued references to it.

It's nearing 6 am...the prospect of a coma is drawing ever closer.

Yeah, I guess that's it. But no wonder baobabs are there, it's quite dry and hot in the basin-ideal climate for baobabs.

2:30 PM here... and hot as hell. It was a fairly mild summer till last week, but now the heat wave is comONG.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:...I would love to see a bossing-around-free thread! Down with bossing! Except for anyone bossing people around to tell them not to boss people around, huzzah! That's the exception that makes the bossing around rule. It's okay to meta-boss, just not to boss. And then I guess that means meta-meta-bossing is out. However, meta-meta-meta-bossing is allowed again. All odd-numbers-of-metas-bossing are allowed while even-numbers-of-metas-bossing-including-zero are strictly prohibited. Got that? ;)

Now imagine that speech with the voice of Ms. Abigail Sciuto.

(can't get the grin out of my face.)

Edit: Ouch, got Abby's last name totally wrong.
Last edited by higgs-boson on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

HES

Squeezing the bottle to get the last bits out

Postby HES » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

svenman wrote:As for the whales, maybe they can be trained to act like ships and use the locks? Just kidding.

I've seen a family of swans successfully navigate a series of locks. (Whether it was their intention or if they just got trapped, well, probably the latter. But shhh)

charlie_grumbles wrote:Some power dams do, in fact, pump water back uphill in the nighttime when power is cheap and release it during the day when power is expensive. It is economically efficient, but not from a physics standpoint.

More importantly, the turbines can be started up in seconds to respond to power spikes that fuel-burning plants cannot react to. Yes, they have negative efficiency, but the effect on the power network is positive as you can reduce wasted energy at the other plants.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Gedeon wrote:

Pretty much only the Baobabs, but it was a much stronger connection than most others. Sure, there are no squirpies on Madagascar, but it doesn't take much to introduce a few. But the Grandidier's Baobab absolutely only appears on Madagascar, and won't easily appear elsewhere – certainly not as mature and thriving as we've seen them.
Of course, now that we know that we're 10,000+ years in the future, that argument loses much of its validity; especially now that we know that were in the Mediterranean basin.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

foilman wrote:DescendONG
Spoiler:

Journey's End Rock -- Where Cueball Picked Up A Prickly Molpy
(Geekwagon frames 2015-2061. Frame 2023 = "Journey's End"))
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Gedeon

Re: Squeezing the bottle to get the last bits out

Postby Gedeon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

HES wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Some power dams do, in fact, pump water back uphill in the nighttime when power is cheap and release it during the day when power is expensive. It is economically efficient, but not from a physics standpoint.

More importantly, the turbines can be started up in seconds to respond to power spikes that fuel-burning plants cannot react to. Yes, they have negative efficiency, but the effect on the power network is positive as you can reduce wasted energy at the other plants.

I think of them as large water-based batteries.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

[N_B]Cueball and Megan continue their mad dash down the escarpment. As the OTT approaches NP 1189, Randall modifies his next planned newpix to show them standing at the edge of rippling water with a white beret bobbing on it. A burst of panic floods the OTT, and with 39 posts on NP 1190, the mods suspend activity. A moderator posts the last newpix as the very last post of NP 1190, Cueball holding the wet beret, saying, "Oh, no..." The comic page ceases to update, and the alt-text changes to "Oh, no..." Randall collects $1 from a friend who bet him he couldn't make a thread as long as the comic number. Thus ends Time.[/N_B]
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

You have to say sudo.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:
SPOILER

Ninja'd

Please fix your link (goat of NP 1184), it's pointing to time.png. :wink:
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Tatiana wrote:
Spoiler:
Q: Why hate on stuff that's so easy to skip over if you don't want to read it?

You have to say sudo.

Ah yes, IRL I always forget that too.
-- Charlie Grumbles

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:
SPOILER

Ninja'd

Please fix your link (goat of NP 1184), it's pointing to time.png. :wink:

Ack! Thanks.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

With the theoretical Locks of Hercules Project, energy generation is secondary -- if it can be done without cocking everything else up, all the better. If not, the you don't.

For the Heavy Saline SiphonTM -- map the current flow, wrap a {that shape}ed pipe around it, seal the seam, but not the ends. That should not stop the flow. THEN build the rail/dam/locks structure over it.

The main question as to the success or failure of the project is this: Are you going to listen to some hippy-eco-green Greek fisherman whining about his "livelihood," or are you going to listen to that nice gentleman with the chalet on the French Riviera, which he generously lent you for your re-election campaign fundraiser gala?

Two more "BigWater Projects":

1. Bond villian created huge underwater gates south of Florida to block the Gulf Stream, and will send Europe into an early ice age unless he is paid ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

2. If you replaced the Panama Canal with a 10km wide open ditch, what would happen?

*runs*
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

sford

Postby sford » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Molpy UP

Spoiler:
The Fennec fox is able to live without free water, as its kidneys are adapted to restrict water loss. It is considered the cutest of the Fox family, and perhaps across all canids, although there have been unverified reports of baskets of bloodhound puppies being even cuter [citation needed].

non-redundant:
Spoiler:
Because they're just so damn cute.

foilman

Postby foilman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

SavONG the wildlife
I'm not convinced it can... (or will)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Gedeon wrote:

Pretty much only the Baobabs, but it was a much stronger connection than most others. Sure, there are no squirpies on Madagascar, but it doesn't take much to introduce a few. But the Grandidier's Baobab absolutely only appears on Madagascar, and won't easily appear elsewhere – certainly not as mature and thriving as we've seen them.
Of course, now that we know that we're 10,000+ years in the future, that argument loses much of its validity; especially now that we know that were in the Mediterranean basin.

According to the first What-if regarding draining the oceans, a 3 km drop in sea level would drain the Mediterranean, in much the way described (or so it appears to me, based on the GLR's map), and also connect Madagascar to Africa. Therefore, the migration of baobab may become more likely as fauna are now capable of crossing the newly formed land bridge. That might explain why there are now baobabs in the Mediterranean. Also, with a total drop in sea level, the climate in the Mediterranean might be more suitable for baobabs as well.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

CasCat

ONG dialog

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

Is he talking to the Prickly-molpy?

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
mscha wrote:
Gedeon wrote:

According to the first What-if regarding draining the oceans, a 3 km drop in sea level would drain the Mediterranean, in much the way described (or so it appears to me, based on the GLR's map), and also connect Madagascar to Africa. Therefore, the migration of baobab may become more likely as fauna are now capable of crossing the newly formed land bridge. That might explain why there are now baobabs in the Mediterranean. Also, with a total drop in sea level, the climate in the Mediterranean might be more suitable for baobabs as well.

The Mediterranean isn't nearly drained enough to match up with the map shown in-comic. If the draining happened and was followed by evaporation of the remaining Mediterranean, it would be possible.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
For the Heavy Saline SiphonTM -- map the current flow, wrap a {that shape}ed pipe around it, seal the seam, but not the ends. That should not stop the flow. THEN build the rail/dam/locks structure over it.

Nice post, but don't forget that you have to take the ends deep (1km) if you are going to raise the level (hence the pressure) on the Atlantic side.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Re: ONG dialog

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:Is he talking to the Prickly-molpy?
Spoiler:

Yup.
Spoiler:
It's moving in the wrong direction, though...
I wondered why I didn't detect it here, but it's moved upwards, outside of the overlap.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

frakhorsestaplers wrote:The Mediterranean isn't nearly drained enough to match up with the map shown in-comic. If the draining happened and was followed by evaporation of the remaining Mediterranean, it would be possible.

Yes. The water in the Med can't reach the drain, since the Straits are relatively shallow. Bit of seepage maybe. And yes, evaporation would eventually do it.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Can't remember who it was, but sometime ago there was a post with a picture of the waterfall scene with the water level up about half of the cliff face (to around where the 2nd fall terminates). I think this is a good prediction... I think they will pause to look over the falls once more ... this will be in about 5-8 newpix I think.

The exact level of the water I'm not sure... my guess is about a 1/3 of the way up.

The question on my mind is whether they will continue to the hill-crest of frame GW-1795 ("I think I can almost see the sea from here") before they turn off on the new course.

It makes sense that they will do that, because it's probably the first point they can get a really good panoramic view and plan their final route.

If they do stop to look across the vista, I'm predicting a major WOW moment at that point as they see for the first time how much the lower-lying lands have changed. The sea will no longer be distant, but will pretty much surround them and they will see scattered islands everywhere.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Gedeon wrote:

Except we dont' have a drop in ocean levels, just the sealed Mediterranean. So our options are,
1) Grandidier's Baobab was actively introduced to eurasiafrica at some point
2) Digitata Baobab took an odd convergent evolutionary pathway in a new envrionment.
3) GLR thought Baobabs looked cool and wanted to draw them ignoring the biological ramifications.

(biology identifiable so far 1) some species of hedgehog/porcupine. Not useful for pinpointing location. 2) Lucky, probably panthera. Europe has no native Panthera species, so it's probably a migrated Panthera Pardus subspecies. 3) The snake is likely a stubby calabar (i can think of no other snake without distinct head or tail) which would also suggest african migration.)

All in all it looks like the med drained and has an outside time africa type ecosystem which has led to a lot of african migrant animals and trees.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:

Nice post, but don't forget that you have to take the ends deep (1km) if you are going to raise the level (hence the pressure) on the Atlantic side.

How come the salty water is flowing back now? There must be some effect we are not considering.

Also, if the salinity of the Mediterranean sea was increased slowly enough it might not effect sealife too much. A higher salinity would mean the return pipe doesn't have to be 1 km deep.

Oh and bump:
highwater wrote:Having only recently wandered inside, I feel the need to delurk to remark that the word "Journey" in newpix m2917 is superimposed with what appears to be a Beanish "9". I have noticed shapes reminiscent of Beanish letters in my three latest seenpix, as well, but am feeling too comaish to catalog them at this time.

I am attempting to ketchup, but have only reached newpage 1154. These are exciting Times, indeed.

P.S. - is there a different word for de-lurking if one had not previously registered for the One True Forum?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

I predicted they'd say that to Lucky, but Lucky ran away too fast.

Re the dam: to get the outflow you need, carry out a social media campaign showing that the Atlantic is much cooler than the Mediterranean (which it is!). The denser water will then flow by peer pressure.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

akacat

Postby akacat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

frakhorsestaplers wrote:Or it could just be some kind of disinfectant/superglue combo that sealed the wound and cleaned it. Assuming imminent death for Megball seems illogical until further evidence is presented.

Predicting imminent death for Megball is a tradition here. Predicting imminent death for Time is also a tradition, and a bit of a superstitious ward.

CasCat wrote:
a_s_h_e_n wrote:Lucky's going the wrong way, I'm concerned

Not to worry; a good sunny napping-rock is *important* to meowpies. Even big meowpies. I'm sure he'll circle around back up again. (But I hope he's good at ladders, when the sea starts coming in....)

I've seen my own meowlpies climb ladders. The ladders weren't completely vertical, but given the general skill plus a keyboard's ability to climb trees I don't think it'll have too much trouble. Besides which, I've seen meowlpies levitate when the option was to get wet.

sford wrote:Molpy UP

Spoiler:
The Fennec fox is able to live without free water, as its kidneys are adapted to restrict water loss. It is considered the cutest of the Fox family, and perhaps across all canids, although there have been unverified reports of baskets of bloodhound puppies being even cuter [citation needed].

non-redundant:
Spoiler:
Because they're just so damn cute.

Aw! The fennec in the second picture looks like a real-life Speedy Gonzalez.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

"don't get stuck" cuz getting stuck or not can be planned. You can try not get stuck, sure. Most of the time you're trying not to get stuck.

What's interesting to me is sense of time and decision making. As a kid, when I was walking in the woods with friends, when we'd explore, we'd have a sense of boundaries. No one told us "don't go past this" or whatever, but you'd be out and you'd get a sense of how long it took you to get where you are, and how if you go much further you wouldn't be able to get home for dinner and people would worry, and you' get in trouble. But it's not like you spent the whole time planning around that eventuality, you just knew at some point that you shouldn't keep going, that you would end up too far away from home. Even when you were paying attention and you knew you'd only been going for an hour, and no one would find out if you crossed this road on your own, you just knew that was "too far" even if no one would be looking for you for the next four or five hours.
Last edited by Sprocket on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Not completly related, but here is a nicely-frightening article with lots of pictures illustrating the power of water... when the turbine fails.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/09/the_sayanoshushenskaya_dam_acc.html

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Can't remember who it was, but sometime ago there was a post with a picture of the waterfall scene with the water level up about half of the cliff face (to around where the 2nd fall terminates). I think this is a good prediction... I think they will pause to look over the falls once more ... this will be in about 5-8 newpix I think.

The exact level of the water I'm not sure... my guess is about a 1/3 of the way up.

Thanks... that was me.
Spoiler:

I really hope they'll check that spot... because that will give us data to calculate by.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:Except we dont' have a drop in ocean levels, just the sealed Mediterranean.

What could have happened is: the oceans are drained according to the what-if 53/54 scenario, some time in the next few thousand years, resulting in a map like this.
The changed climate leads to mass-extinction and the end of civilization. The Mediterranean Sea keeps shrinking due to the evaporation surplus. The portal is still open, and slowly the water falls back from Mars to the oceans on Earth.
At some point, the ocean level reaches the threshold of the Strait of Gibraltar (which might be altered due to the passing of time), and starts overflowing. That's where when we find our heroes.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:Except we dont' have a drop in ocean levels, just the sealed Mediterranean.

What could have happened is: the oceans are drained according to the what-if 53/54 scenario, some time in the next few thousand years, resulting in a map like this.
The changed climate leads to mass-extinction and the end of civilization. The Mediterranean Sea keeps shrinking due to the evaporation surplus. The portal is still open, and slowly the water falls back from Mars to the oceans on Earth.
At some point, the ocean level reaches the threshold of the Strait of Gibraltar (which might be altered due to the passing of time), and starts overflowing. That's where when we find our heroes.

In that case, one of the languages being spoken is probably related to Dutch, given the universal reach of the Netherlands in What If 53/54.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”