1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

nerdsniped

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby nerdsniped » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

keithl wrote:<snip>

2.7e22 joules of infill energy - 50 years of current global energy production, 1.2 times global coal reserves, 5% of the Chicxulub impactor - is a crapton of energy. Expect friskiness.

This wins my Paragraph of the Week award. A "frisky" sea... *shudder*

(I'd sig this, but the full paragraph would be something of a spoiler... hmm.)

ETA: wow, somehow Pope again. Decree: none, as I didn't notice this was a Popepost until the page was more or less complete. Noting Popehood for future past firstpost detection.
Last edited by nerdsniped on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:52 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:ONG6

SPOILER

You've linked time.png, which will update and act as a spoiler for blitzers. It would be great if you could change it to the hash.png instead.

But by quoting his message you also have a time.png in yours now. :/
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Question I've been meaning to bring up -- could the displacement (by gradual evaporation) of the mass of water in the Mediterranean after the straits were closed cause a shift in the earth's rotation axis? Could such a shift be big enough to account for the approximately 2.5 degree discrepancy between the map latitude (according to present day maps) and the apparent astronomical latitude?

Moving 3.75E6 km3 of water from all the oceans ( 3.61E8 km2) will drop global sea level about 10 meters. Not much on the scale of a 6370km radius planet. The average density of the earth is 5.5 times water, so shifting the center of mass by 3.75E6 km3 of water weight shifts the center of mass of the planet by 6.8E5 km3 of earth core weight. With a cross section of 1.27e8 km2, the shift of the center of mass represents (at most) 6.8E5/1.27e8 km = 5 meters of shift of Earth's center, and with elastic and hydrostatic compression of the Mediterranean basin rock, even less.

The ripples on the moisture on the granite scum floating on the mantle have very little effect on the Big Iron Core Rockball we amusingly call "Earth".

(edit) The ripples on the moisture on the granite scum floating on the mantle have very little effect on the Big Iron Core Rockball we microbes amusingly call "Earth".
Way too much hubris in the prior version.
Last edited by keithl on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

gracie.

Postby gracie. » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

I'm trying not to noob too hard here.

I've been following this comic from the beginning and occasionally lurking in this thread, but I got lost recently because I had trouble reading the lady in the castle's dialogue...
Is there anywhere I can find the text all in one place? I'm sifting through the thread now...

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

gracie. wrote:I'm trying not to noob too hard here.

I've been following this comic from the beginning and occasionally lurking in this thread, but I got lost recently because I had trouble reading the lady in the castle's dialogue...
Is there anywhere I can find the text all in one place? I'm sifting through the thread now...

Here you go.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

SPOILER

You've linked time.png, which will update and act as a spoiler for blitzers. It would be great if you could change it to the hash.png instead.

In a spoiler tag, with warning text below it.

However, you're correct and I will change it. No need for angry face.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Good catch! We seem to have missed that completely, even though it's clearly visible with the naked eye. It was there originally and hasn't been fixed.
Maybe it's a beesnake traveling perpendicular to the view. We just see it while it's in our slice.

Montov wrote:I haven't seen a (medical) discussion about the miracle ointment which healed Megan's leg. Any medical experts here what is could've been? Is it futuristic advancement? Nano-bots?
Given that they probably have nothing at all themselves, it could be a simple antiseptic. Her injury was not that great to begin with.

highwater wrote:P.S. - is there a different word for de-lurking if one had not previously registered for the One True Forum?
Welcome highwater! De-lurking means posting for the first time (usually in a particular forum one has been silently reading (lurking in). You don't register for the OTF, you register for all xkcd forums at once, which gives you the ability to post most anywhere. But if you haven't registered, you can't post at all, so I don't really understand the question.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

Possibly relevant to the eternal "how much was planned in advance" question. Here's a list of things in the comic that, in retrospect, are consistent with (and therefore potential clues to) Megan and Cueball climbing out of a deep basin with a central salt lake.

Most of them aren't strong clues because they have other plausible explanations, including being art production limitations (e.g. not showing plants moving in the wind every frame). But still...

seaish
Spoiler:
- Lack of waves and tide on the sea, also suggesting lack of wind.
- The sea has risen and fallen before (but not this fast). Without tides, why would it rise and fall at all? A salt lake rises and falls gradually as evaporation overtakes inflow and vice versa.
- The barrenness of the land near the sea, even at the river delta and right along the fresh-water river upstream. This is highly unusual, as I commented on at the time. The cause would most likely be salty soil from relatively recent rises and falls of the salt lake.
- The bad/salty taste of the water. Of course, normal sea water tastes bad too, but Megan's reactions to getting some in her mouth, in retrospect at least, does seem exaggerated compared to how someone familiar with normal sea water would react to getting a mouthful of normal sea water.
- It gets cooler and windier as they climb. Of course, this would be true just about anywhere, so it's hardly a clue, but it's consistent.
- Despite getting cooler and windier and the air seeming thinner (suggesting at least a couple thousand meters of elevation), it never became noticeably windy or uncomfortably cold, even at night. I commented on the strangeness of this several times (as possibly suggesting massive climate warming) especially after it became clear that they weren't at a tropical latitude. Starting in a basin explains it.
- Cuegan's reluctance to attempt to swim in fresh water. Swimmers are a little more buoyant in normal ocean water than in fresh water. The difference is noticeable, but it's not big enough to completely alter basic swimming and floating techniques. If you can swim safely in an ocean, you can almost certainly do so in a river (barring fast current, piranhas, etc.). Salt lake water, though, is very different, allowing people to float safely with no swimming technique at all. "It's extremely dangerous to try to swim in rivers" is a reasonable conclusion for them to have drawn from their likely past experiences with their sea and with their own river.
- The shapes of the land during their ascent. Basically, a series of broad stair-step plateaus at elevations in between the salt lake sea level and the "coastal" plateau at the first survey tower. This is not typical of most hill and mountain landscapes, where even low peaks have peaks. It was hard to tell this for sure from the more or less 2-D views (a plateau might look the same as a flat section of ridge) but in retrospect, things like the vineyard make more sense on wide stair-step plateaus than on some sort of col or ridge line.
- The shape of the ground on the slopes they climbed. There was lot of soil cover and not much exposed rock, compared with most mountain slopes I've seen, including very old eroded mountains like the Appalachians. Soil formation on mountains is slow and it erodes downward; there's almost always less soil farther up. In a basin (whether underwater or exposed), sediment drifts down and washes down from a wide region above.
- The "pretty crumbly" and sandy-looking rocks Cueball noted at the wowterfall. Real sandstone isn't all that crumbly, but compacted sandy sediment might still seem stone-like but erode quickly. At the time, we thought Cueball was overstating how crumbly the rock had to be for the water to cut through it, because he was unaware of geological time scales. But it turns out the wowterfall landscape really wasn't formed in geological time scales, but in a few millennia at most.

Was it possible to figure out the setting from these clues (along with the astronomical information) as a puzzle? Some people did make correct or nearly correct (e.g. the Black Sea) guesses, but no one put all the above bits and pieces together to make a strong case for the Mediterranean basin. I think it might have been solvable, but you'd have to make some fortunate assumptions about things like which of Megan and Cueball's observations are accurate (e.g. how crumbly the surrounding rocks appear from a distance) and which features of the comic images are literal and which are art conventions.
Last edited by Rule110 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
Wildhound wrote:

SPOILER

In a spoiler tag, with warning text below it.

However, you're correct and I will change it. No need for angry face.

Don't worry, that wasn't an angry face. :)
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
highwater wrote:P.S. - is there a different word for de-lurking if one had not previously registered for the One True Forum?
Welcome highwater! De-lurking means posting for the first time (usually in a particular forum one has been silently reading (lurking in). You don't register for the OTF, you register for all xkcd forums at once, which gives you the ability to post most anywhere. But if you haven't registered, you can't post at all, so I don't really understand the question.

Jose

I registered for the xkcd forums in March 2012, almost exactly a year before the start of Time. I did so to comment on some thread, but then thought better of it, so I never actually posted until I "de-lurked" to join the OTT.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:I think he initially thought he'd do a slow-paced comic with a really simple plot (sandcastles), and when he found out Time had a huge success he thought of a more developed story.

That's my own suspicion as well. I think he may have switched gears and sketched out a larger plot quite early - possibly as far back as the very first pan. But I think the OTT actually has a lot to do with the OTC not being a little zen vignette about sandcastles.

On an unrelated note about the super-effective medicine - I came to a realization while watching tv last night. The Librarian is a *Nox*.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:I registered for the xkcd forums in March 2012, almost exactly a year before the start of Time. I did so to comment on some thread, but then thought better of it, so I never actually posted until I "de-lurked" to join the OTT.
Yes, you must register before you delurk, but you don't have to delurk after you register. What you cannot do is delurk before registration (at least not on xkcd). That's why I was puzzled.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

ContinuONG down to the shore:

ETA: also, checkONG the map?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

I think they are about to stop and chat, which I sort of predicted they would do at this exact spot.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

They're at the "I think I can almost see the sea from here" point. If the vineyard is flooded, they should definitely be able to see that from here.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Bad Hair Man

Postby Bad Hair Man » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Up to page 230. People are saying derisive things about Cueball because he knocked over one of the rectangular horns he made on top of the mound. I guess they don't realize it was intentional. Or else they just like saying mean things about Cueball. :(

And before that someone mentioned the idea of a The Two Towers/Twin Towers/Orcs on a Plane (Snorks on a Plane?) crossover we never realized we never wanted.

Also:
tman2nd wrote:
Helper wrote:Wait, why do I need inphallusability? I mean, I'm the Pope! It's not like I can be banned or anything!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Papal infallibility means that the Pope can't be wrong.

Papal inphallusability means that the Pope can't be ****ed with a **** in his rectory (or anywhere else).
HAL9000 wrote:The Passover bunny walks on water! So he be an representation of Horus!

Chinchokmataa

Postby Chinchokmataa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
taixzo wrote:I registered for the xkcd forums in March 2012, almost exactly a year before the start of Time. I did so to comment on some thread, but then thought better of it, so I never actually posted until I "de-lurked" to join the OTT.
Yes, you must register before you delurk, but you don't have to delurk after you register. What you cannot do is delurk before registration (at least not on xkcd). That's why I was puzzled.

Jose

I think what they were saying was that they registered in order to de-lurk.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

The OTC is either a Magnificent Artistic Achievement or a Gigantic Waste Of Time. So I hereby coin the acronym
MAA|GWOT
and take the blame for whatever heretical splinter religion that leads to. Leaving out the "|" OR symbol is deemed a heresy against the holy heresy, and will be punished by 100 lashes with DeMorgan's theorem, without parentheses!

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Possibly relevant to the eternal "how much was planned in advance" question. Here's a list of things in the comic that, in retrospect, are consistent with (and therefore potential clues to) Megan and Cueball climbing out of a deep basin with a central salt lake.

Most of them aren't strong clues because they have other plausible explanations, including being art production limitations (e.g. not showing plants moving in the wind every frame). But still...

seaish
Spoiler:
- The sea has risen and fallen before (but not this fast). Without tides, why would it rise and fall at all? A salt lake rises and falls gradually as evaporation overtakes inflow and vice versa.
- The barrenness of the land near the sea, even at the river delta and right along the fresh-water river upstream. This is highly unusual, as I commented on at the time. The cause would most likely be salty soil from relatively recent rises and falls of the salt lake.
- The bad/salty taste of the water. Of course, normal sea water tastes bad too, but Megan's reactions to getting some in her mouth, in retrospect at least, does seem exaggerated compared to how someone familiar with normal sea water would react to getting a mouthful of normal sea water.
- It gets cooler and windier as they climb. Of course, this would be true just about anywhere, so it's hardly a clue, but it's consistent.
- Despite getting cooler and windier and the air seeming thinner (suggesting at least a couple thousand meters of elevation), it never became noticeably windy or uncomfortably cold, even at night. I commented on the strangeness of this several times (as possibly suggesting massive climate warming) especially after it became clear that they weren't at a tropical latitude. Starting in a basin explains it.
- Cuegan's reluctance to attempt to swim in fresh water. Swimmers are a little more buoyant in normal ocean water than in fresh water. The difference is noticeable, but it's not big enough to completely alter basic swimming and floating techniques. If you can swim safely in an ocean, you can almost certainly do so in a river (barring fast current, piranhas, etc.). Salt lake water, though, is very different, allowing people to float safely with no swimming technique at all. "It's extremely dangerous to try to swim in rivers" is a reasonable conclusion for them to have drawn from their likely past experiences with their sea and with their own river.
- The shapes of the land during their ascent. Basically, a series of broad stair-step plateaus at elevations in between the salt lake sea level and the "coastal" plateau at the first survey tower. This is not typical of most hill and mountain landscapes, where even low peaks have peaks. It was hard to tell this for sure from the more or less 2-D views (a plateau might look the same as a flat section of ridge) but in retrospect, things like the vineyard make more sense on wide stair-step plateaus than on some sort of col or ridge line.
- The shape of the ground on the slopes they climbed. There was lot of soil cover and not much exposed rock, compared with most mountain slopes I've seen, including very old eroded mountains like the Appalachians. Soil formation on mountains is slow and it erodes downward; there's almost always less soil farther up. In a basin (whether underwater or exposed), sediment drifts down and washes down from a wide region above.
- The "pretty crumbly" and sandy-looking rocks Cueball noted at the wowterfall. Real sandstone isn't all that crumbly, but compacted sandy sediment might still seem stone-like but erode quickly. At the time, we thought Cueball was overstating how crumbly the rock had to be for the water to cut through it, because he was unaware of geological time scales. But it turns out the wowterfall landscape really wasn't formed in geological time scales, but in a few millennia at most.

Was it possible to figure out the setting from these clues (along with the astronomical information) as a puzzle? Some people did make correct or nearly correct (e.g. the Black Sea) guesses, but no one put all the above bits and pieces together to make a strong case for the Mediterranean basin. I think it might have been solvable, but you'd have to make some fortunate assumptions about things like which of Megan and Cueball's observations are accurate (e.g. how crumbly the surrounding rocks appear from a distance) and which features of the comic images are literal and which are art conventions.

You're missing what to me is the clincher:

In 1412-1417, Cueball tells Megan that the sea (which he tasted earlier, before they left the shore) seemed to be tasting a little fresher than it had in the past.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

keithl wrote:The OTC is either a Magnificent Artistic Achievement or a Gigantic Waste Of Time. So I hereby coin the acronym
MAA|GWOT
and take the blame for whatever heretical splinter religion that leads to. Leaving out the "|" OR symbol is deemed a heresy against the holy heresy, and will be punished by 100 lashes with DeMorgan's theorem, without parentheses!

magwhat?
Magwatt!
Megball?!
Cuegan!
It is truly all related.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

keithl wrote:The OTC is eithera Magnificent Artistic Achievement orAND a Gigantic Waste Of Time. So I hereby coin the acronym
MAA&GWOT
and take the blame for whatever heretical splinter religion that leads to.

FTFY
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

Alright, so I'm married. I'm back in the US. I spent the last week getting work done instead of reading the OTT. And... I'm 300 pages behind.

You know what, screw it, I'm schizo-blitzing at best, because that is waayyy too many pages for someone who often takes a week to make up a mere 20 page gap.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:
Possibly relevant to the eternal "how much was planned in advance" question. Here's a list of things in the comic that, in retrospect, are consistent with (and therefore potential clues to) Megan and Cueball climbing out of a deep basin with a central salt lake.

You're missing what to me is the clincher:

In 1412-1417, Cueball tells Megan that the sea (which he tasted earlier, before they left the shore) seemed to be tasting a little fresher than it had in the past.

Another one... Frames 318-320, in which Megan notices the sea level rise and then asks about the river (the only one she knows of at the time). Implying that when the river flows, the sea level rises, but at no other time.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:Alright, so I'm married. I'm back in the US. I spent the last week getting work done instead of reading the OTT. And... I'm 300 pages behind.
You know what, screw it, I'm schizo-blitzing at best, because that is waayyy too many pages for someone who often takes a week to make up a mere 20 page gap.

Welcome back, and congratulations! Image
Don't worry, you didn't miss much in the OTC while you were gone. Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

So Much For Map ReadONG...

RUN.

ETA: So when are they going to cut south across the hills, already??
Last edited by NetWeasel on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
jetpac wrote:Alright, so I'm married. I'm back in the US. I spent the last week getting work done instead of reading the OTT. And... I'm 300 pages behind.

Welcome back, and congratulations! Image
Don't worry, you didn't miss much in the OTC while you were gone. Image

No shocking revelations in the last 2.5 weeks or so? I was at the top of page 862 when I left. Oh, and thanks! :)

ETA: Now that I look at it, I was already behind when I left, so it's really more like a month of the OT[CT] that I've missed.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:No shocking revelations in the last 2.5 weeks or so? I was at the top of page 862 when I left. Oh, and thanks! :)

Spoiler:
Should we tell him?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:ETA: So when are they going to cut south across the hills, already??

I think maybe now. I can't find this ‘scene’ on the way up, so they might have taken the new path when they checked their map, a newpix ago.

ETA: jetpac, you may want to pay more attention to the Image than to the sentence that precedes it...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:No shocking revelations in the last 2.5 weeks or so? I was at the top of page 862 when I left. Oh, and thanks! :)

Let's put it this way - trust me, you want to stop reading the OTT now, go to the frame where you left off:
and start clicking (pic's a link to mscha's excellent viewer).
Then come back to the present. No harm in skipping a couple hundred pages of OTT if you don't have the time, but don't miss what's happened in the OTC (and try to not let spoilers ruin it).
Last edited by Zorin_75 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go Minim go!

Reka

Postby Reka » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

Gah, this new direction of travel is confusing me. I keep hitting the wrong arrow on the Book of Geekwagon.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Welcome back to the Present (which will be the recent Past when you see this...)

And congratulations on your marriage.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:ETA: So when are they going to cut south across the hills, already??

I think maybe now. I can't find this ‘scene’ on the way up, so they might have taken the new path when they checked their map, a newpix ago.

Confirmed. I can't find it either.
Well, semi-confirmed. We'll know next newpic. Probably.

So from the edfel map, we can assume a southish track from frame 1800-ish.

Anybody got a better map of the Gulf of Lions seafloor? Topographic, preferably?

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

No worries jetpac. Skim-blitz as best you can and we'll see you in the future! A bit of advice, though: run.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:<snip>
No worries jetpac. Skim-blitz as best you can and we'll see you in the future! A bit of advice, though: run.

You know, before running, I would recommend he
Spoiler:
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

DJ3000

Postby DJ3000 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

gracie. wrote:I'm trying not to noob too hard here.

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Dialogue_from_the_Comic

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:

Let's put it this way - trust me, you want to stop reading the OTT now, go to the frame where you left off:
and start clicking (pic's a link to mscha's excellent viewer).
Then come back to the present. No harm in skipping a couple hundred pages of OTT if you don't have the time, but don't miss what's happened in the OTC (and try to not let spoilers ruin it).

Alright, good plan, I'll do that. When did mscha make that viewer, btw? The last I remember, Aubronwood and Geekwagon were the main viewers people were using.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

keithl wrote:The OTC is either a Magnificent Artistic Achievement or a Gigantic Waste Of Time. So I hereby coin the acronym
MAA|GWOT

Since you're using "OR" rather than "XOR", you agree that it might be a Magnificent Artistic Achievement AND a Gigantic Waste Of Time, right?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

As with jetpac, I will be skipping about 10 pages in the OTT due to being gone most of the wipend. I did not, however, get married. 8-) (congrats to you tho!)

I see they're still running, and the text still tells us to... run as well? Should we be running?

Either way, I hope I didn't miss any awesome manips but I just don't have the time to stay away from the present. I liked watching the raptorcat skitter away in fear after seeing Megan (even stickless). Megan truly is the boss of the raptorcats now. Also, buttermolpies and/or beesnakes galore. They don't care about the rising water, although I imagine if it was rising THAT FAST, the raptorcat (and its kin) would be traveling up hill and not just resting around. Animals tend to have a sense of these things. (Forgive me if that idea has already been brought up in the past).

Also forgive me if this has been mentioned (and for yelling): WE'RE ONLY A FEW PAGES AWAY FROM THE ULTIMATE 1190! WHAT WILL HAPPEN?! WILL IT BE ANOTHER PAGE 1,000? :shock:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:When did mscha make that viewer, btw? The last I remember, Aubronwood and Geekwagon were the main viewers people were using.

Soon after you left, I think. Oh, no, a bit later, right after (...) <spoiler removed>.
Feel free to use Geekwagon or Aubronwood, though, if you prefer – I link to them from my viewer. But note that their frame number is not always in sync with the ‘canonical’ frame numbering, so if you must refer to, say, a Geekwagon frame number in the OTT, please note that it's a Geekwagon frame number.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Nilpferdschaf

Postby Nilpferdschaf » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

They must be getting close to the snake cliff now. They had to walk around the snake before, so maybe they're heading directly to that point now, therefore covering new ground. The baobabs must be visible from the point where they almost saw the sea last time, maybe they're heading directly towards them instead of going to the point where they climbed up before.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”