1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

wizpretz

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby wizpretz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Prepare for the implosion of the universe (or at least this thread)...

Edit: No, that was supposed to be the goat of 1189 :cry:
At least we're still alive and that implosion didn't actually happen.
Papal decree: Go outside and run while contemplating the OTC.
Last edited by wizpretz on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
moody7277 wrote:How about this for a crazy theory. MobTeeseBoose = GLR.

But MobTeeseBose hasn't been here for several days!

Mob comes and goes, sometimes is gone from the list for days, but always returns. The avatar keeps changing.
Different theoryT of MobTeeseBose, whoever it is just likes changing their avatar. Not interested in Time or any of the other xkcd fora, just in changing the avatar.

T see also this
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

ahecht

Postby ahecht » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Metaversary!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Ooh, wow.. they're already at the dunes?! I wonder how much inside-Time has passed for them...

Just two days. Maybe three. (Black in tunnel; probably slept for the night. Lying down a pix or two ago; again, probably sleeping.)

I guess their shortcut avoids the Baobab Forest.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

kasmeneo wrote:And I finally de-lurked in this epic thread.

Welcome!
The convention for an ‘ONG’ post, though, is to post the image with the URL al the xkcd servers, i.e.

Code: Select all

[img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/28e53f2e8deea1c29ee51d6d36713d75517d3b7877515275a48781eccab81913.png[/img]

Could you perhaps change your post to do this?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Page 1190? Let's all have cake!

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

BringONG it Forward...

kasmeneo wrote:still runONG, in the dunes now.

Spoiler:
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

It seems like the dunes occupy a much larger area than shown on Edfel's map (http://edfel.atwebpages.com/Time-Map.php). Perhaps dunes fill the vast majority of that empty space?
Last edited by Charm Quark on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost forever in time...

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:I suppose the sea hasn't reached the dunes yet!

(But what about the wowtrees? Shouldn't we have passed those first?)

If Cuegan saw the tree with the markings again, I bet now they'd recognize the word for "water" or "big water" that's on the map in Beanish.

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Hello.... this is.... WOAH. Just realized a hour ago while spamming the random button on xkcd that the image on /1190 had changed, googled it, and realized what was going on. I just finished watching it all the way through... and this is impressive. Nice job, Randall!
This place is ending and its time to go.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

After the dunes, they're only about a day's walk (less running) from home. They should also be getting to current water level directly seen in the floating bucket flash-sideways. I predict a scene of empty slightly damp tents, then some large noise signaling the berm letting go as that would be the absolute worst time.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

Happy NP1190, everybody!
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:It seems like the dunes occupy a much larger area than shown on Edfel's map (http://edfel.atwebpages.com/Time-Map.php). Perhaps dunes fill the vast majority of that empty space?

I guess the area is bigger than it looked. :wink:
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Nilpferdschaf

Postby Nilpferdschaf » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Ooh, wow.. they're already at the dunes?! I wonder how much inside-Time has passed for them...

I don't think those are the same dunes, they just aren't close to a river anymore, due to their shortcut

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Do we know if Randall was doing these in advance, or if he is still doing them?

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Charm Quark wrote:It seems like the dunes occupy a much larger area than shown on Edfel's map (http://edfel.atwebpages.com/Time-Map.php). Perhaps dunes fill the vast majority of that empty space?

Yes, they seem to have made a right turn before the baobabs and are heading straight home now, so the dunes must be bigger than they looked..
Go Minim go!

Montov

Postby Montov » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

mscha wrote:RestONG and checkONG the map.
Spoiler:

Edit: they haven't been here yet either – or more precisely, we haven't seen them here.

They have encountered the plant before, at frame 1681:
Spoiler:

I wish we could view all postings of a particular frame in the OTT based on the frame number. This would require to manually tag all posts with 1 or multiple frame numbers though...
But then we could easily see all the speculations of that plant at the OTT. :P

ETA: Spoiler added and 1190 celebration. 8-) Keep running Time, we can wait!
Last edited by Montov on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:I suppose the sea hasn't reached the dunes yet!

(But what about the wowtrees? Shouldn't we have passed those first?)

It could be that they found a shortcut to the dunes, and are not following exactly the same path as their ascent. In fact, I think this is the only explanation. That and some series Time compression. I have a feeling that there is much of their return journey that we are not seeing. Perhaps some dialogue will provide us with some clue as to how long it has taken for them to descend.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

jazz14456 wrote:Hello.... this is.... WOAH. Just realized a hour ago while spamming the random button on xkcd that the image on /1190 had changed, googled it, and realized what was going on. I just finished watching it all the way through... and this is impressive. Nice job, Randall!

Just imagine how many people there are out there, completely unaware of the epic-ness of 1190.

Maybe before we rush to adopt 1190, we should stop to consider the consequences of blithely giving this comic such a central place in our lives.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

jazz14456 wrote:Do we know if Randall was doing these in advance, or if he is still doing them?

Lots of discussion about this even on the last few pages. Short answer - we don't know...
Go Minim go!

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

Cannot resist- they are crossing sands of Time. :oops:

Awesome story-line keeps improving.

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Montov wrote:They have encountered the plant before, at frame 1681:
Spoiler:

I wish we could view all postings of a particular frame in the OTT based on the frame number. This would require to manually tag all posts with 1 or multiple frame numbers though...

Why not just search this thread, with quotations marks "1681" or whatever the frame number is?

Anna-X

Postby Anna-X » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:
Pikrass wrote:I think he initially thought he'd do a slow-paced comic with a really simple plot (sandcastles), and when he found out Time had a huge success he thought of a more developed story.

That's my own suspicion as well. I think he may have switched gears and sketched out a larger plot quite early - possibly as far back as the very first pan. But I think the OTT actually has a lot to do with the OTC not being a little zen vignette about sandcastles.

Uh-huh.

People started speculating about the sea rising and/or receding when the thread was single-digit pages long--that was before Megan and Cueball even began to built the sand castle. They were building the castle for ~1k newpix(-es?) or about a month in people-time which would have given GLR plenty of time to come up with a plot. (Great job, BTW).

Something else: I can't really make sense of this story taking place in the year ~13k as has been suggested by the star-analyser people... I'm getting a prehistoric vibe from the whole thing. Was there a discussion about this? Link to page, pls.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

Were the Dunes before or after the Baobabs on the way up? I know these aren't the same dunes, since they've diverted possibly quite a bit west, but it's interesting we didn't see any Baobabs on the way down.

EDIT: Oh, and I guess I delurked a while ago, and didn't follow the thread etiquette to say so... oops?
Last edited by Random832 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

cameroda wrote:Cannot resist- they are crossing sands of Time. :oops:

Awesome story-line keeps improving.

Yes, yes they are (look at my avatar). :D
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
jazz14456 wrote:Hello.... this is.... WOAH. Just realized a hour ago while spamming the random button on xkcd that the image on /1190 had changed, googled it, and realized what was going on. I just finished watching it all the way through... and this is impressive. Nice job, Randall!

Just imagine how many people there are out there, completely unaware of the epic-ness of 1190.

Maybe before we rush to adopt 1190, we should stop to consider the consequences of blithely giving this comic such a central place in our lives.

I would respond with a xkcd reference in return, however, I can't recall any that would apply.
So this will have to do:
"I got that reference."

That quote is so meta.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

Firstpost of 3?

Echousb wrote:I guess 3M in beanish is pronounced "Oh" !

Hello, Echousb! Welcome to the thread, thanks for hopping in. :)

ETA from newpage 1134
Last edited by BlueCrab on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Welcome to the One True Thread (abbreviated "OTT"; posters here are OTTers) about the One True Comic (abbreviated OTC). Pull up a slice of cake and stay awhile! We've accumulated a lot of jargon and in-jokes in the last 1190 pages, but we'll be happy to explain anything that confuses you.

The most important bit of jargon is that all small animals in the comic are called "molpys" or "raptors". And an error in the OTC is called "mustard".

Again, welcome!
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Anna-X wrote:Something else: I can't really make sense of this story taking place in the year ~13k as has been suggested by the star-analyser people... I'm getting a prehistoric vibe from the whole thing. Was there a discussion about this? Link to page, pls.

There were no humans at the time of the Zanclean flood. And these humans have telescopes and advanced cartography.'

Also the star movements people were tracking to get the general time point are one-way, not cyclical.
Last edited by Random832 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Anna-X wrote:I'm getting a prehistoric vibe from the whole thing

Prehistoric castles (a prehistoric Chateau d'If, to be exact)? Hairdo talking about their ancestors building cities?
Go Minim go!

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Welcome to the One True Thread (abbreviated "OTT"; posters here are OTTers) about the One True Comic (abbreviated OTC). Pull up a slice of cake and stay awhile! We've accumulated a lot of jargon and in-jokes in the last 1190 pages, but we'll be happy to explain anything that confuses you.

The most important bit of jargon is that all small animals in the comic are called "molpys" or "raptors". And an error in the OTC is called "mustard".

Again, welcome!

GLR is Randall Munroe, right?
I'm pretty new to the forums too, but I've been reading the comics since I was like eight.

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:

Again, welcome!

I'm pretty new to the forums too, but I've been reading the comics since I was like eight.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

Montov wrote:They have encountered the plant before, at frame 1681:
Spoiler:

Your spoilered image doesn't work. (Either change the URL to the image URL, or change the [ img ] tag to a [ url ] tag.
It was a similar plant, but not the same one.
Montov wrote:I wish we could view all postings of a particular frame in the OTT based on the frame number. This would require to manually tag all posts with 1 or multiple frame numbers though...

Well, there's Kieryn's forum navigator... It's out of date (he's traveling), but 1681 is included.

taixzo wrote:(But what about the wowtrees? Shouldn't we have passed those first?)

Um, haven't you been paying attention these past few newpix? Or are you just posting, not reading what other people write? Image
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

Anna-X wrote:Something else: I can't really make sense of this story taking place in the year ~13k as has been suggested by the star-analyser people... I'm getting a prehistoric vibe from the whole thing. Was there a discussion about this? Link to page, pls.

My search-foo is not strong enough to link specific posts on discussion of prehistoric vibes, but it makes sense considering the state of the Mediteranian... uh... Plain. If we assume this is Earth (which was a big assumption up until the map), then we know that at no point after its initial creation/filling did the Mediteranian Sea dry up and then get re-filled. So, if this is Earth, it only makes sense that these events are in the future. It is apparent that at some point in the next 11,000 years, civilization declines and numerous natural disasters occur (such as the Strait of Gibralter getting blocked somehow), perhaps as a side affect of whatever caused the decline in society. War? Loss of fossil fuels without a suitable alternative? Alien invasion? Personally I believe that all the rich people boarded space ships to colonize and explore the galaxy and the meek inherited the Earth.

shurikt

Postby shurikt » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Sorry. Couldn't resist the urge to post on page 1190.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Here's one...http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:1190:_Time
Shortest explanation -- Antares has gone missing, and is presumed gone kerblooie. That alone puts it in the future.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

jazz14456 wrote:
CasCat wrote:

Again, welcome!

GLR stands for "Great Lord Randall". So, yes.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

For all the people wondering about the baobabs, I made a quick manip of edfel's map showing where they might have turned. If the dunes extend further West than originally drawn, then could easily have turned South soon after the wowterfall and been in to the dunes before passing the Wow Forest. Red arrow shows their new path home.

Spoilered for seaishness:
Spoiler:
ETA: btw, edfel is super crazy amazing for all the work on this map, as well as how accurate it's turned out to be.

redundant and kitty-less
Spoiler:
map.jpg
Last edited by marchlight on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:we know that at no point after its initial creation/filling did the Mediteranian Sea dry up and then get re-filled.

That's not true. But it was 6 to 5 million years ago, long before Humans had evolved.. Unless you mean in some philosophical sense that that wasn't the same Mediterranean.

EDIT: can someone explain redundant spoilers?
Last edited by Random832 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:

Were the Dunes before or after the Baobabs on the way up? I know these aren't the same dunes, since they've diverted possibly quite a bit west, but it's interesting we didn't see any Baobabs on the way down. <snip>

So, now we're in unknown (to us) territory. I wonder, how long until something "different" (not just scurrying over passive terrain) happens? E.g. until they encounter the rising sea, or people, or... something. And what it will be.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”