1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

nerdsniped

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:Good news:

- They haven't crossed any much lower regions to reach this spot. They have an escape route from where they currently are.
- They know where they are and should be close to where their tribe lives.
- Cueball is casually asking "is that the sea?" as if recognizing a landmark, rather than shouting "what in the name of God is that roiling mass of chaos?", which suggests that the sea, however much higher, is not yet being very frisky.
Spoiler:
Bad news:

- Their people aren't where they are now, that is, uphill from the current shore and on the escape route. They may be encircled on hills farther down (foreshadowed! and much considered by OTTers as a possibility).

Good news:

Hill people ruins and/or floating debris should offer raft-making materials (foreshadowed!) for a rescue of the non-swimmers, if the sea is non-frisky enough.

Bad news:

I missed the haystack. (old joke)

Good points. Also, "should it be in view already?" (as if that were, indeed, plausible) as opposed to "goodness, even if it's rising we shouldn't be seeing it for another couple of days".

Prediction / hope: dialogue in the next newpix or two will tell us more about how far they now are from their home... and won't contain the phrase "in the name of God".
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

gga2

Postby gga2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Still RunONG

CasCat

dOwNG the hill

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Spoiler:

Ninja'd

Page-Pope! Ok, how easily will Cuegan convince their tribe to run?
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:03 am UTC

CasCat wrote:Page-Pope! Ok, how easily will Cuegan convince their tribe to run?
I don't think it will be that difficult... especially if there is a distant ominous rumble, and the sea is getting frisky. They have the map with the strange symbols. They do not seem to be ridiculed outcasts of their own forty. They have their own earnestness to back them up too.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

NetWeasel

Re: dOwNG the hill

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:08 am UTC

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:

Page-Pope! Ok, how easily will Cuegan convince their tribe to run?

Tougher question than it sounds...
Sea rising? Don't think that'll be a problem.
Sea rising high enough that we need to move to higher ground? A tougher sell; it's never done it before in our recorded history.
Sea rising high enough that we need to move to REALLY higher ground? Now you're just being extremist.
Spoiler:
Sea rising A MILE OVER OUR HEADS?????? (Maybe they ought not start with that part...)
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:11 am UTC

ucim wrote:
I don't think it will be that difficult... especially if there is a distant ominous rumble, and the sea is getting frisky. They have the map with the strange symbols. They do not seem to be ridiculed outcasts of their own forty. They have their own earnestness to back them up too.

Jose

I agree. How about this revision: How many pix (after they get within shouting/talking range of their tribe) will it take to convince them? We can start a pool.

I pick five pix from first words from Cuegan, counting the one where they start talking....

(You can pick "zero" if they've left already or "infinity" if Cuegan are too late...)

<edit to avoid doubleposting>

NetWeasel wrote:
Spoiler:
Sea rising A MILE OVER OUR HEADS?????? (Maybe they ought not start with that part...)

Very good point, that.
Last edited by CasCat on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:11 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:Prediction / hope: dialogue in the next newpix or two will tell us more about how far they now are from their home... and won't contain the phrase "in the name of God".

If it's really 11000 years in the future, those monks writing down all nine billion names of God should be pretty far along.

(However, the ones in the temple next door moving the stack of discs from one peg to another will have barely gotten started.)

Per decree: Based on my experience with families, I predict they won't have any trouble convincing the others to escape once the subject comes up, but they won't get a chance to mention it at all until half a dozen unrelated and irrelevant issues (such as properly apologizing for taking the ladder without asking permission) have been thoroughly discussed and resolved first.

So, I'll pick 12 newpix in the pool.
Last edited by Rule110 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:21 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:16 am UTC

ucim wrote:

Jose

Agreed. Also, the tribe will already have been shaken out of its home / routine (looks like the sea is rising enough for that at least), Cuegan have been away long enough to add weight to their claim of having made a great journey, and they'll be able to point to the sudden vanishing of the hill people (I get the sense this will carry some weight).

Of course there will be *some* sort of difficulty upcoming, and I don't think it will be as simple as "the water is already lapping at their heels at the moment of reunion". The difficulty might lie entirely in finding the tribe in the first place. Or maybe some tribe members are too young / old / sick to move quickly, or want to travel slowly to bring possessions. Or maybe the tribe have separated, they'll find some of them and have to decide whether to head uphill or look for the rest first. (Might Megan and Cueball wind up separating?!? :( )

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

Arky

Postby Arky » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:20 am UTC

suzi wrote:If they find survivors from The Forty, isn't there a decent chance they'll have a conversation that includes the real names of Cuegan? "Oh hey! [Megan]! [Cueball]! We thought you died! Now get us out of here!"

You know it will be "Oh neat! You guys are back!"

We're never going to learn their names.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:24 am UTC

Prediction:
Once they get to the water, the "title-text" will change to RUN AWAY!

Also, did anybody notice that there is Javascript in the pages? What do you think... kidding, kidding.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:27 am UTC

Prediction
Spoiler:
La Petite = Little girl in red coat in Schindler's List :shock:

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:34 am UTC

CasCat wrote: How about this revision: How many pix (after they get within shouting/talking range of their tribe) will it take to convince them? We can start a pool.
Is it that wise to start a pool when the entire ocean is about to come crashing down? How will you keep it properly chlorinated? Anyway, how many pix depends on how much tension the OTA has in mind, and from what (possibly new) source it may come. And, where the sea is now. I think if it's more than ten newpix (I don't know what a "pix" is), another angle needs to be tried. They didn't last very long at Rosetta's, I don't expect them to hang around here either.

We may see many more than 10 newpix of preparations, but I think the decision will come quickly, even if it is a decision to abandon the tribe.

LaPetite is a red herring. If there's a surprise coming, she could be the one to bear it. Will it be something that makes it impossible (for some?) to run for it?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:35 am UTC

Finally, Ketchuped up!!!
NP 1182 to 1194, now I understand what so many others have said "Yeah, I'm caught up. Now I have to coma." "Cause basically that's what's going to happen to me.
----
No real post-by-post replies, but when I left, Lucky was sunning on the rock and I spent the whole day thinking of scenarios of how it would pan out. (Cueball and Megan attacking with clubs and sticks; the Beanies show up with a dart gun....) And GLR out-foxed "me" ("us"?) again. {Lucky: "Oh Nos, it's the two-leg thing with the hurty stick and the other non-food two-legger. I'm soooo GONE."} :D
And then little chirpy-molpies learning to fly, and kind words to the hedge-molpy.
And now here they are, in New Territory. (The exact reason why Megan stole the maps.)
------
Lots of discussions, that if I had been live at the time, I might have thrown my two pennies in. But, for now, just know I read them all.
------
I do want to restate, I believe the single black frames are night-times for when the two of them are asleep.
------
Hurrah, for NP 1190.
------
Greetings to all the new posters I've been seeing in the past 11 or so pages. Like mscha, it was un-nerving to see the same questions asked in such a short time span. It's great when you can jump right in and help the conversation along (okay, there are usually several going on at the same time), but a little research (say the 4-5 NPs) before posting a "zinger" on a subject we've gone over recently, would be nice.

On one minor detail for some of the new ones, just to help you when you're framing your posts: Singularly, the guy is "Cueball" and the gal is "Megan". Collectively it's either "Cuegan" or "Megball". (Either of the mashups are okay. Of course, you can always use "Cueball and Megan" or "Megan and Cueball". :mrgreen: )
------
Current Prediction Time:
I'll go with "having some trouble finding the 40" (8-10 newpix) and after that, about 12 total newpix to tell the story and get the tribe to agree, and another 10 - 12 newpix to get them going.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:40 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I'm really not sure how much of a success Time has been, outside of our relatively small circle. Its mention on Slashdot was met with a resounding "Meh." Aside from a few blog posts (one, admittedly, in The Economist), it seems to be almost totally under the radar, even in the nerd press. Or have I missed some major news item?

Friends I know who "love" xkcd have no idea the scope of the comic, let alone the OTT. One said six weeks ago, "is that thing still running?" and one tonight thought it had been "epic" for having run 100 frames before it finished. I was completely unsuccessful at getting them to grasp (without the in-thread lingo, even) what they were missing.

For the papal decree: I have a pessimistic feeling that we aren't going to get to see the Forty. Megan and Cue may just keep missing them.

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:43 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:Bad news:

- Their people aren't where they are now, that is, uphill from the current shore and on the escape route. They may be encircled on hills farther down (foreshadowed! and much considered by OTTers as a possibility).

Because I may have been one of the first to find the National Geographic "topo" map and mention the La Renaixenca Hills being a problem...and because I now feel like a molpy's-rear-end for having suggested the possibility of The Forty getting stranded on said hills...

...I just want to say that's certainly not what I _want_ to happen! I was just pointing out why HairBeanie thought The Forty doomed and later why she wouldn't be sending any of her own to attempt a rescue.

But definitely not how I _want_ time to end! Not at all. (Still feel like a molpy's-rear-end.)

For the decree: I'm gonna say... 15 newpix. When they see The Forty they're gonna sprint...then over the span of about 6 newpix Cuegan will each alternate between "pant-pant-- Sea!...", "pant-- filled by --pant-pant", "bigger sea! pant-pant-pant", etc. And then we'll see 4 newpix of puzzling it out and deciding, then 5 newpix of getting everyone ready. So my guess is 15 newpix. :P

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:00 am UTC

Closer ONG closer to home

We hope.

ETA
And Frame M3000!!!!

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Arky

Postby Arky » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:06 am UTC

I like the little detail of bits of (sand?) being thrown up as they run. It's the little things that have made the OTC such a joy.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:10 am UTC

I think the whole thing is a diversion.. Hairdo was obviously buying time to launch the Secret Royal Beanish Navy just in time for the flood.

Something like this:
Spoiler:

Don't click on this one, it's laggy.
Spoiler:
risingmedliftsallbeanies.gif
A rising tide lifts all beanies.. or so I've heard
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:15 am UTC

Sweet sassy molassy! 3000 frames of Time!
charlie_grumbles wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:I don't think of them as untraveled; I still believe that they are in fact nomads of some kind. Just because they're ignorant of many things doesn't make them primitive, just narrow in scope.

[snippety] An alternative, but related, possibility is that the 40 are the miners of salt who are supported by the traders, but remain at the salt collection point. They might need boards for building salt pans, and bags for transporting it. They would probably find the "things that come down the river" useful.

I quite like that theory; I should have thought of it myself. Salt has been a major trade commodity at more than one point in history.

I'm still not convinced, though, that they rely on salvage from the people in the hills. That sort of unreliable salvage is valuable, and not to be wasted; Megan and Cueball were entirely too casual about leaving their castle on the beach to be inundated. I think, odd as it may sound, that they have a more reliable or more extensive source of building material.
────────────────
Pagal decree: The question is difficult; its several parts can have wildly differing answers. RUN: Probably not difficult; the Forty may already be on the move. RUN the right direction: Rather more difficult; the elders are likely to want to stick to familiar routes, not to go haring off in unknown directions. RUN far enough: Quite possibly impossible, for the psychological reasons many Waiters have already described at length.
────────────────
And it's a newpix past coma time for me, and once again here I still am. Good night, WaiterOTTerMolpywatchers all ─ keep your eyes open and your feet dry! Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are! Molpy down...
Spoiler:
[Redundant Spoiler Is Redundant]
Spoiler:
molpydown.png
molpydown.png (131.28 KiB) Viewed 10538 times
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

dm214

Postby dm214 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:18 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:I think the whole thing is a diversion... Hairdo was obviously buying time to launch the Secret Royal Beanish Navy just in time for the flood.
Spoiler:

:shock: How?
I read, I summarize, I bring cakes. I likely won't answer if you call.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:20 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:I think the whole thing is a diversion.. Hairdo was obviously buying time to launch the Secret Royal Beanish Navy just in time for the flood.

Something like this:
Spoiler:

Don't click on this one, it's laggy.
Spoiler:
risingmedliftsallbeanies.gif

I don't quite follow that, but it's pretty 4!

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:20 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:I think the whole thing is a diversion.. Hairdo was obviously buying time to launch the Secret Royal Beanish Navy just in time for the flood.

Something like this:
Spoiler:

Holy molpy! How did you animate that so smoothly? Pretty amazing!
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:21 am UTC

f0rmicUla wrote:
Anna-X wrote:(snip) So basically, what could possibly have happened on Earth that would wipe out all this "basic knowledge" but not all of human kind? Even if there were to be some sort of apocalypse that would nuke us back to the stone age, I find it hard to believe that general knowledge, technology wouldn't survive? (snip)

This does remind me of a SF story- I read only one part of a series- where people had hightech but barely understood how it worked, let alone how to build or repair any of the stuff they used. They had exo skeletons and navigation and even the consciousnesses of their ancestors implanted (some of them were incomplete or unstable).

Yep, it seems all too possible to me. Pump 6 by Paolo Bacigalupi is one such horribly plausible near-future scenario.

dm214 wrote:Did they ever mention the distance from the hills to the tents?

No, and putting my pedantic hat on, we don't even know for sure that they live in the tents. All Megan said was, "It'd have to rise a lot higher before any tents got wet". I always thought that "any" seemed a bit deliberately obtuse, perhaps intentionally misleading?

Also, "not a lot of us by the shore this time of year" implies to me that the 40 are not broadly nomadic, but possibly migrate up and down the river, staying close to the fresh water. Cuegan for whatever reason chose to stay by the shore rather than where the river was currently at.

Rule110 wrote:- Cueball is casually asking "is that the sea?" as if recognizing a landmark, rather than shouting "what in the name of God is that roiling mass of chaos?", which suggests that the sea, however much higher, is not yet being very frisky.

Yes, but don't forget Cueball also described his feeling at being informed of impending cataclysmic apocalypse as "starting to get a little creeped out" :D

Fictioneer wrote:For the papal decree: I have a pessimistic feeling that we aren't going to get to see the Forty. Megan and Cue may just keep missing them.

Me too. Mainly because I can't believe GLR is going to pull another hat-related gimmick to distinguish them, and a whole frame full of Cueballs and Megans would be just too confusing.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:33 am UTC

More pelrigg "Sideways Thinking"TM

A possible reason for the "Hill People" to dislike The 40.
Maybe the Hill People view The 40 as being an inferior caste, even "Untouchable". To use two previous posters examplesA:
What if The 40 are salt miners or wood-workers (the post I'm thinking of mentioned Megball's skill in building), but according to the Hill People these skills are looked down on. {"You dig stuff out of the dirt." (salt mining); "You work with dead things." (wood working)}
Those would be things that the Hill People do use, but that doesn't mean that they can't find some (lame) excuse for looking down at The 40.
I admit, the only knowledge I have of the Caste System in, say, India or Japan, is from reading. But it does seem like there are lots of fine distinctions about what "proper" behavior is.
And even in Western history, the peasants, who actually grew the food for the Nobles, were looked down on by the Nobility.

Another toss-out here:
Don't be surprised if the actual number of The 40 is larger or smaller than 40 (as low as 37 and as high as 43). Remember, when asked about how many were in his tribe, he said, "...about 40..."; not, "Counting us, 40."
Just sayin'.

A(sorry, sorry, sorry, I can't remember the names. {And want to post this quickly, so I'm not doing the full search, Sorry.})

Anyway, time to Molply Down.
Wait Quickly.
Coma Out.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:41 am UTC

My goodness, you can't walk away from this place for anything, can you?

xpatiate wrote:
dm214 wrote:Did they ever mention the distance from the hills to the tents?

No, and putting my pedantic hat on, we don't even know for sure that they live in the tents. All Megan said was, "It'd have to rise a lot higher before any tents got wet". I always thought that "any" seemed a bit deliberately obtuse, perhaps intentionally misleading?

<snip>

Yes, but don't forget Cueball also described his feeling at being informed of impending cataclysmic apocalypse as "starting to get a little creeped out" :D

OK, well, we do not know for sure that they are from the tents but I think it is a safe assumption (as safe as any assumption is about Time). After all, we at least know that the tents are in the same directions as the supplies that Megan brought back for the Sandcastle. Also, regarding Rosetta's creepiness, I imagine she was more frantic than other OTTers have suggested. I kind of imagine her as a sleep deprived nervous librarian, pouring over those maps and books, trying to figure out what to do next, with no real choices at hand because they know so little themselves.

ETA: @pelrigg most caste systems, that I am aware of, do not look down on wood workers as being especially lowly, since it is a craft that benefits everyone, and can be viewed as an art form. Salt miners, I am not so sure about. But in a society without refrigeration, I would not expect the miners of such a potentially valuable substance to be looked down upon (although in larger societies, any kind of mining was often done by slaves). In most cultures, the untouchables where those whose tasks involved things like "night soil men" and tanners (particularly because tanning often required great amounts of urine).
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Kinjion

Postby Kinjion » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:44 am UTC

De-lurking now, just so I can say "well, I was around before Cuegan returned to the sea" at some time in the future.

The subtleties of this thread still escape me, so if I'm missing the mark on any de-lurking etiquette right now, my apologies :lol:

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:48 am UTC

dm214 wrote:
chem1190c wrote:I think the whole thing is a diversion... Hairdo was obviously buying time to launch the Secret Royal Beanish Navy just in time for the flood.
Spoiler:

:shock: How?

All but the four fastest ships, of course.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:57 am UTC

Act 2, scene 1
At rise: The podium where the last BlitzGirl the Next ceremony took place. There is a gathering of clerics and scribes arranged at several tables. On the podium, center, a smaller table at which sit the present BlitzGirls: Selcouth, PhonenixRising, Vytron, CasCat, Taixzo, and tman2nd. Notably absent at this table is BlitzGirl herself. Upstage, in the background, the two BlitzRockets. The Pope paces.

The Pope wrote:Where is BlitzGirl?
The First Cleric wrote:She said she had an outside engagement; she'll be back soon.
The Pope wrote:This has to be the most momentus moment we've managed to make it to. It underlies our entire faith. We need all the BlitzGirls - I can't believe she abandoned us at this very moment.
The Sixth Cleric wrote:I'm sure she'll be along. Meanwhile don't keep the rest of us in suspense! Why are we all here?
The Pope wrote:What is it that is the absolute foundation of our faith - the thing that we are each called upon to do, even when it seems impossible?
Nobody responds.
continuing, The Pope wrote:Exactly. By your silence you have answered the question, because to state the answer would be to contradict the command. We are to Wait For It. But this is no longer so. I have been delivered a New Testament, and its meaning is... well... this is why I have gathered you here, and taken the extraordinary measure of bringing together the known BlitzGirls.

This New Testament comes in two parts. The first was very brief; in fact I was not even sure I had gotten it when the second part was delivered.
Spoiler:
the First Cleric wrote:Stop pontificating and get to the point, you blowhard!
The Pope wrote:May I remind you that I am the Pontiff, and I'm supposed to pontificate?
the First Cleric wrote:No, you may not remind me of that. And furthermore...
the Fifth Cleric wrote:Shut your noise, you! Remember, you still have to wait for it! Please continue, your Pontiffness.
The Pope wrote:Thank you. I'm glad there is still some decorum still with us.

The first part is just ...
Nothing else. Just ...Almost like we're supposed to think. And if that's not mystery enough, not but a moment later came the new command:
RUN.That command holds even now. In fulfilment of the first part of the New Testament, I am seeking enlightenment. Then we must dedicate ourselves to the second part, which seems to carry some degree of urgency.
At that moment an arrow arcs overhead, with a pink boa trailing from its tail. It lands at the Pope's feet. He picks up the arrow, removes a note, and reads it aloud:
in the note, BlitzGirl wrote:I'll be away at a wedding for a bit but I'll keep in touch. Don't break anything while I'm gone, 'kay?
The third scribe wrote:Somebody sure picked the wrong time to get married!
The Pope wrote:I think she's doing this on purpose.
the First Cleric wrote:If we're supposed to run, I'm running for Pope.
the Second Scribe wrote:No, you're running amok.
the fifth cleric wrote:We did that a few days ago.
the sixth scribe wrote:I think I'm running a fever, does that count?
The Pope wrote:Well, I'm running the meeting, and this is getting silly. We're supposed to run, but it would be nice to have some idea where we are supposed to be running to, or what we are supposed to be running from, or whether or not we are just running in circles.
the second scribe wrote:There is nothing in any of the ancient scrolls about running. All our records are about waiting.
the First Cleric wrote:Are you sure you're not reading the restaurant guide?
The Pope wrote:I'm hoping one of our BlitzGirls might have some insight. tman2nd, you ran into trouble a few nights ago, do you think maybe that was an omen?
tman2nd wrote:No, it was clearly a keyboard. I could tell even at night. Well, after the fact, anyway. And it was Neil_Boekend who ran into trouble. After he ran into me. So to speak.
the third cleric wrote:Maybe we should ask Neil. He would have a unique perspective on things, no?
the First Cleric wrote:Can I run the seance?
the seventh scribe wrote:What do you know about being dead?
the fifth cleric wrote:Everything. He's brain dead, don't you see?
Another arrow is lobbed into the meeting, again with a pink boa attached to it. It lands at the Pope's feet. The Pope picks it up, mumbling.
The Pope wrote:Damn good aim, BlitzGirl. Stop being silly.
the First Cleric wrote:I don't think there's anything silly about flinging arrows into a meeting of the clerecy.
the fifth cleric wrote:Hmmm.. he's not as dumb as I thought.
The Pope wrote:No. It's what BlitzGirl said. "Stop being silly." I think she's listening. BlitzGirl - what do you make of this?
Nothing happens.
muttering to himself, The Pope wrote:chirpin' mustard!
The Pope wrote:Selcouth - as my first BlitzGirl the Next, you probably have the most even split between waiting for it and running as fast as you can to catch up. What do you think this New Testament portends?
Selcouth wrote:I didn't think you'd even remember who I was.
The Pope wrote:How could I forget? Striking hat, by the way. Matches your sword, which I hope is ceremonial.
Selcouth wrote:Ceremonial, yes, but also quite functional. If we are to run from something, it may buy us some time.
He quickly draws his sword and holds it high.
Selcouth wrote:None shall pass!
Taixzo wrote:I think the urgency of the directive needs to be taken into account. We might get a New New Testament that says "Get off your molpychirpin' butts and do it!
an unidentified voice wrote:Wouldn't that be ironic. To do that for which we've been waiting. It would be the end of time.
Taixzo wrote:Time needs a requiem! Why didn't I think of that! I'll start writing the music right away.
The Pope wrote:There will be plenty of time for music later, unless we don't get this right. It's about the new Commandment: "RUN."
tman2nd wrote:Wait a minute - was that Neil_Boekend? It couldn't be - he's dead. I was there. I saw it.
that same voice, now identified as Neil_Boekend wrote:Yes, and yet, here I am. Contradictory, isn't it.
Another pink-boa'd arrow arcs its way over the heads of half the clerecy, landing at the feet of the Pope.
The Pope wrote:BlitzGirl!
He picks it up and reads the note:
from the note on the arrow, BlitzGirl wrote:You're taking care of things while I'm gone, aren't you?
CasCat wrote:Taixzo and I have blitzed pretty much as fast as it's possible to go. But you need to have a goal. There needs to be something to keep you on track or you'll get lost like TV-tropes. Gotta stay focused.
the second scribe wrote:Focused on what? That is the question... or we'll all run around like little molpsters. We started out here focused on the water, maybe that's what we should run to... or from... if we only knew where it was!
A harried couple enters running from stage left. They stop briefly in front of the Pope, and plead with him, gesticulating wildly.
the man wrote:Smibbin halcoyum! Glie!
the woman wrote:Byestomach! Tu ivig bo vroye! Glie!
the man wrote:Glie! smopu glie!
The Pope looks at them blankly, as does the rest of the gathered group. The Pope looks at the second scribe.
the second scribe wrote:I have no idea.
The First Cleric wrote:See what it feels like for me to have to read those stupid scrolls?
the woman wrote:Smopu glie!
the man wrote:Glie! Ivig vroyem!
The two exit running stage right, as fast as they can.
The Pope wrote:Glie... what does that mean?
the second scribe wrote:...and what does the rest of it mean?
the fifth cleric wrote:I'm getting a bad feeling about this.
The First Cleric wrote:There's only one thing it could mean.
together, the First Cleric, the second scribe, and The Pope wrote:RUN!!!!
There is mass pandemonium as everyone runs everywhich way.
The Pope wrote:To the BlitzRockets!
He turns to the second scribe.
The Pope wrote:You come with me. Taixzo, take the First Cleric. It's time he got some more enlightenment.
They run upstage towards the BlitzRockets and jump in while the rest of the people onstage exit in haste. There is the thunderous sound of two blitzrockets starting up, and in a brilliant psychedelic show, they rise up and fly over the audience, exiting through the booth behind the audience. During liftoff, the following is heard:
offstage, The Pope wrote:Shut up Hal... Never mind your programming - the mission has changed... and stop calling me Dave!

Blackout

============
To: producer@riverishTheaterByTheBig.org
CC: AOC@MolpyGoldwinMayor.com
Subject: Act 2 scene 1 BlitzRocket
There was just one special effect you needed to do at the end of this scene, and we gave you a budget of sixteen thousand dollars for it (which, by the way, we stole from the Perrier budget for the film). Surely you could have done more than cardboard rockets and glitter falling out the tail. Where did the rest of the money go?

============
To: chairman@ClericsMedia.com
Subject: RE: Act 2 scene 1 BlitzRocket
> ...Where did the rest of the money go?

Up my nose.

============
To: producer@riverishTheaterByTheBig.org
Subject: RE: Act 2 scene 1 BlitzRocket

> Up my nose.
We have an opening for a producer at Molpy Golwin Mayor. Are you interested?

=============
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1135) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | next (NP 1292) -->
Last edited by ucim on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:02 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:02 am UTC

Panic Time ONG
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:08 am UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:Panic Time ONG
Spoiler:
Y'know, it's really hard to run when you're squishing through wet salty drywall powder....

gga2

Postby gga2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:20 am UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:Panic Time ONG

Ok, so then shouldn't any point below them be underwater then? I wonder how much farther down they were planning on going...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:24 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Act 2, scene 1
At rise: The podium where the last BlitzGirl the Next ceremony took place. There is a gathering of clerics and scribes arranged at several tables. On the podium, center, a smaller table at which sit the present BlitzGirls: Selcouth, PhonenixRising, Vytron, CasCat, Taixzo, and tman2nd. Notably absent at this table is BlitzGirl herself. Upstage, in the background, the two BlitzRockets. The Pope paces.
<snip>

New Acts of the Clerics :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh my. Things are not looking good for Cuegan. Already they have reached squishy ground. But I cannot quite figure out where they are, exactly.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:28 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Oh my. Things are not looking good for Cuegan. Already they have reached squishy ground. But I cannot quite figure out where they are, exactly.

Somewhere northeast of home, I think (per Edfel's wonderful map). They're heading southwest, cutting across "old riverbeds" on their way to "their" river. The old riverbeds, being old, are normally dry... but right now, this one isn't. They're encountering water for the first time here, because the riverbed is a bit lower than the territory around it.

ETA: It sounds like they've angled too far downhill. They need to turn up (west by northwest). This is where they start having to figure out where their tribe will have gone and how to head them off.
Last edited by nerdsniped on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:31 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:30 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:But I cannot quite figure out where they are, exactly.

They are south (downhill) of the hills where the Hill People live(d), in a watershed other than the one their river runs through (probably a valley between the hills to the east of the one they live in), slightly lower in elevation than the present end of their river, which is presumably whereabouts their people live. So they're basically in the next valley over (or a few valleys over) from home.

ETA: I just realized this means that to get home they have to go over a higher elevation to get to their river bottom where their people live. Hopefully that higher elevation is a nice continuous ridge, and not a series of hills they could get stranded on.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

nickjbor

Postby nickjbor » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:40 am UTC

so where are they?

My thoughts:

Geekwagon 2997 = 1681
3001 = 1584

?
Call me Teddy. I'd edit my username if I could.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:43 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Oh my. Things are not looking good for Cuegan. Already they have reached squishy ground. But I cannot quite figure out where they are, exactly.

Somewhere northeast of home, I think (per Edfel's wonderful map). They're heading southwest, cutting across "old riverbeds" on their way to "their" river. The old riverbeds, being old, are normally dry... but right now, this one isn't. They're encountering water for the first time here, because the riverbed is a bit lower than the territory around it.

ETA: It sounds like they've angled too far downhill. They need to turn up (west by northwest). This is where they start having to figure out where their tribe will have gone and how to head them off.

Ah yes. I better understand where they turned south from their original route. And already squishy, huh? Not good. I shall have to wait for the mornix to find out what will be revealed about the sea.

Molpy down!
Spoiler:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:45 am UTC

OTVO Voting Time!
Vote for your favorite Cuegen Combination.
Results will be posted Here

To vote just quote the first few lines and state the combination you like best
This time we have them all combined into pairs and currently have 10 versions you can listen to.
They are in video form and have the OTC frames sequenced in as well so you get to see how the voices fit with it.
Also to refresh your memory here is the results from last round of voteing

C1M2 C1M3
C5M2 C5M3
C6M2 C6M3
C8M2 C8M3
C9M2 C9M3

All

This last link allows you to view them all by going left/right at the bottom. Note the file name is in the bottom left corner.

Thanks

Results:
Spoiler:
C1M2:
C1M3: 1 mscha
C5M2:
C5M3: 1 Eliram
C6M2: 2 Charm Quark,HereBeUnmappedBits
C6M3: 11 ChronosDragon,Charm Quark,wizpretz,frakhorsestaplers,xpatiate,adnapemit,ucim,Zorin_75,NoMouse,pelrigg,Exodies
C8M2:
C8M3:
C9M2: 1 ZBerg
C9M3: 2 BlitzGirl,VoronX,Ebonite

Also It's not too late if you want to add your voice to the mix. Just go here and submit your version.
Last edited by Latent22 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:16 pm UTC, edited 14 times in total.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:59 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:Prediction
Spoiler:
La Petite = Little girl in red coat in Schindler's List :shock:

I, too, was worried about this - thinking how sad it would be to see that beret floating by. If that were to be her purpose though, I think we would have gotten to see her do something really cute, and that frame of her dragging something wouldn't have been there.

ETA: I wonder if we should be able to figure out what she was dragging by now.
Last edited by ggh on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:00 am UTC

Latent22 wrote: OTVO Voting Time!
Vote for your favorite Cuegen Combination.
Results will be posted Here

To vote just quote the first few lines and state the combination you like best
This time we have them all combined into pairs and currently have 10 versions you can listen to.
They are in video form and have the OTC frames sequenced in as well so you get to see how the voices fit with in.
Also to refresh your memory here is the results from last round of voteing

C1M2 C1M3
C5M2 C5M3
C6M2 C6M3
C8M2 C8M3
C9M2 C9M3

All

This last link allows you to view them all by going left/right at the bottom. Note the file name is in the bottom left corner.

Thanks

Results:
Spoiler:
C1M2:
C1M3:
C5M2:
C5M3:
C6M2:
C6M3:
C8M2:
C8M3:
C9M2:
C9M3:

I definitely like C6, but I'm completely torn between the two Megans :?
Lost forever in time...

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:05 am UTC

Last persONG

And molpy up.

And, this is getting sinister.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”