1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Valarya

Re: BlitzGirl the First Returneth

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:46 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
As for me, I'm just going to ride the crazywave for as long as I can, perhaps until the end of Time...or even beyond that.
After all, the future's pretty cool! Race you there!

So glad you're back. *hops on the crazywave* Whooooo!

Latent22 wrote: OTVO Voting Time!
Vote for your favorite Cuegen Combination.
Results will be posted Here

Latent, you're awesome for doing all that work on the OTVO! I can't make up my mind between C1, C6 and C9 so I just won't be voting. :oops:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Ketchup #1

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:50 am UTC

Thanks, xuys! :) Nice to see y'all again!

Pastpost Responses, Part 1
Spoiler:

Reka wrote:Gah, this new direction of travel is confusing me. I keep hitting the wrong arrow on the Book of Geekwagon.

Interesting. This reminds me of something I learned in one of my classes, though I can't for the life of me remember which class, or even what yip I learned it. In cultures that read left-to-right, there is a tendency to give objects traveling left-to-right across a field of view more positive associations: moving forward, progressing, heading the correct way. Objects moving right-to-left, or against-the-grain, are more apt to be viewed with suspicion or a sense of wrongness.

Filmmakers sometimes take advantage of this bias in the movement of characters and play that off of the plot. Heroes will more often enter from the left side of the frame and move right. A character that travels right-to-left across the frame, with the against-the-grain eeriness, creates a subconscious tension in the minds of the viewing audience.

I have a sneaking suspicion that GLR knows this theory. I also have a sneaking suspicion that there is a real name for this phenomenon, but I have forgotten it if ever I learned it.

ucim wrote:Yes, there are awesome sandcastles made of sand, but there are details about the OTC sandcastles that indicate stronger material or a binder (like salt) is involved.

Semencoffee, mayhaps? :wink:

On Megan:
Spoiler:

Image Seems like our Megan is something of a magpie, isn't she? I guess she was the one to start bringing all of the "collected" IKEA materials...
Also, it's interesting to see how verbose Cuegan is being in the running newpix. They don't have Time for leisurely chats anymore, alternating frame by frame. These are entire paragraphs they're speaking here!

On molpies:
Spoiler:
D'aww, look at Lucky, resting on her favorite rock. (It's all right to like raptorcats if they RUN from humans instead of attacking them, right?)
Nice to see her again; hopefully she runs back the other way now that Megan has gone!

Angelastic wrote:The baby chirpies are learning to fly! They're going to make it! :D

Yay! The chirping chirpies will chirp another chirp!

That's sweet of Cueball, but he might as well be speaking Beanish to the pokeymolp...I doubt it understands him. :(
The positive attitude Cueball is showing here bodes well for him and Megan, whether or not they find the Forty again.

Fictioneer wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Does it bother anyone else that all the scenes are shifted slightly from their earlier versions? I have to wonder if Randall is deliberately making it harder for us to compare the current view to the upward journey, and that raises the question: What's going to be hiding in the grass that he doesn't want our skilled molpy-hunters to spot?

I wish they were in one frame long enough for mscha's molpy-detection to get a good read!

I do miss molpy-hunting. But as far as molpy density goes, these past couple of dips must be something of a record! Lucky, pokeymolp, chirpies (too bad we didn't see Squirpy)...

azule wrote:Redundant spoiler:
Spoiler:
(But I spent too much time on these, so maybe BlitzGirl can redundakitty y'alls for me) ;) *begs*
Spoiler:
NotRedundant.png
ETA:
Optional decree: Who can come up with the most optimistic prediction for Cuegan?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:57 am UTC

Quick semi-blind post to apologise for my outburst from yesterdix...
I want to stress that newcomers are most definitely welcome here – we were all newbies once – and please don't be discouraged by post such as mine.
But most of the time, they've been “lurking” a while (or a really long time) so at least seem to be aware of much of what's going on here, and of the conventions. Yesterdix, for a few NP at least, that was not exactly the case...

Gotta go now, and will be gone for much of the dix. Looks like I'm gonna miss some exciting OTC times... Image WIll need to ketchup later.

And yay, I see in my post review that BlitzGirl is back! I hope she brought some cake!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:01 am UTC

Something's wrONG

ETA: as for replying to the papal decree, that just got a lot harder
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

lgw

Postby lgw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:02 am UTC

Welcome back BlitzGirl! :D It just wasn't the same without you.

On Lucky, seeing Megan:
bobcat wrote:Instead of food
Shack contained angry girl with stick
Would not stalk again

ETCWPD: Cuegan will be fine - they'll stumble into some of the 40, who were alerted by La Petite and are ready to flee, but don't know quite where to go (but maybe have a nice raft). Cuegan will save them by the power of maps.
Last edited by lgw on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

bdew

Re: Ketchup #1

Postby bdew » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:04 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Reka wrote:Gah, this new direction of travel is confusing me. I keep hitting the wrong arrow on the Book of Geekwagon.

Interesting. This reminds me of something I learned in one of my classes, though I can't for the life of me remember which class, or even what yip I learned it. In cultures that read left-to-right, there is a tendency to give objects traveling left-to-right across a field of view more positive associations: moving forward, progressing, heading the correct way. Objects moving right-to-left, or against-the-grain, are more apt to be viewed with suspicion or a sense of wrongness.

Filmmakers sometimes take advantage of this bias in the movement of characters and play that off of the plot. Heroes will more often enter from the left side of the frame and move right. A character that travels right-to-left across the frame, with the against-the-grain eeriness, creates a subconscious tension in the minds of the viewing audience.

I have a sneaking suspicion that GLR knows this theory. I also have a sneaking suspicion that there is a real name for this phenomenon, but I have forgotten it if ever I learned it.

Heh, interesting, as someone who reads and writes both RTL and LTR languages daily i never noticed that tendency.
I do get confused a lot with the arrow buttons on geekwagon, using a RTL os/browser setup at work doesn't help either. I think i just use the mouse wheel most of the time now to avoid confusion :P

Also this is my first post in the OTT. Hi OTT!
I've been following the OTC since it's started and lurking in here on and off, nowhere near reading it all though.

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:08 am UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:Something's wrONG

Spoiler:

Oh frak. I think their planned escape route just got cut off.

My most optimistic prediction at this point is that they find the 40 people they live with, start marching to safety, and make it to the coast of France. Somehow they reach the Eiffel tower and LaPetite eats baguettes with them as they dance.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:10 am UTC

Welcome, bdew! :) Wow, you just popped right out of moderation, that's treeish3!
Kudos on the language-mastery, I really admire you multilingual folks.

mscha wrote:And yay, I see in my post review that BlitzGirl is back! I hope she brought some cake!

Ah, I knew I was forgetting something! Have some reunion cake, everybody!
Spoiler:
For the papal decree:
Lucky was not actually fleeing from Cuegan, but running off to alert her master LaPetite, who will show up again riding her raptorkitty at the head of forty molpies carrying the Forty to safety on their backs.

3neat
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

42 guests

Saltcastles

Postby 42 guests » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:10 am UTC

42 guests wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Random832 wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:This isn't refined salt we have here. But see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieliczka_Salt_Mine. A truly amazing place.

Yeah - not quite the same, that's carved out of rock salt, rather than being piled up granulated salt by hand (they didn't seem to have tools for carving bricks out of rock salt)

Yes, I know. I just pointed it out for its awesome kwelness. I thought first to point to the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, but didn't find anything about building with that salt. It is terrifically hard, though. It, too, is the remains of a Pleistocene lake.

I suspect that it will glom together into a single chunk or dissolve before it will allowus to form it. Still, we need to try.

I fret that real hyper-saline lakes would cement any sand in a hard matrix of halite as it rose and fell. Lots of neat experiments to do. :)

So I made an attempt at a miniature salt castle...

First I needed some salt:
salt.jpg
Sea salt from OTC
salt.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 10559 times

I used 4 oz.
wait.jpg
I needed a wait for it.
wait.jpg (15.98 KiB) Viewed 10559 times

Adding 1 tbsp. of water gives good castle building consistency to this quantity of granular salt. The salt stung along my cuticles, and it clung to my hands. While it worked, was not as pleasant as working with moist sand.
saltcastle.jpg
small

Adding 2 tbsp. of water gives good slushy consistency to this quantity of granular salt.
slush.jpg
Instead of coconut slushy received salt slurry. Would not order again.
slush.jpg (19.08 KiB) Viewed 10559 times

Now, what becomes of sand in the hyper-saline environment that Cugan live in? We need sand:
sand.jpg
Like salt, less soluble
sand.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 10559 times

I warmed the hyper-saline solution to maximize the dissolved salt in the water, and added the sand.
mud.jpg
Yep, looks like wet sand
mud.jpg (14.92 KiB) Viewed 10559 times

I microwaved in short bursts to simulate what would happen as the hyper-saline solution dissolved from the sandcastle structure.

First a crust of salt appeared on the surface.
fleurdesel.jpg
Just like Cugan hand harvests from their evaporation ponds

Then a solid brick formed, with the precipitating salt acting as a binding agent. It was fairly hard, and quite warm.
moredry.jpg
Very warm...
moredry.jpg (23.54 KiB) Viewed 10559 times

It was structurally superior to damp sand, but still crumbled if enough force was applied to it. It would not pass building codes, but would make a solid sandcastle structure as it dried.

This behaviour is consistent with the crumbleable but unusually straight walls of the sandcastles at the beginning of the OTC.

From this I will conclude that it is reasonable to build a castle out of salt or sand in the hyper-saline environment of Cugan's beach, assuming that the salt is granular, and not solid halite binding the sand.
The One Who Left the Shadows

"What does the sound of 42 people watching Time sound like?"
- AluisioASG

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:11 am UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:Something's wrONG

ETA: as for replying to the papal decree, that just got a lot harder

Pfhorrest wrote:I just realized this means that to get home [from the riverbed they're crossing] they have to go over a higher elevation to get to their river bottom where their people live. Hopefully that higher elevation is a nice continuous ridge, and not a series of hills they could get stranded on.
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Davidy

Random musings

Postby Davidy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:11 am UTC

I got about 10 pages behind so many of my thoughts may no longer be relevant, especially since we're nearing at least a partial resolution to the events.

I don't remember any discussion on Hairdo's comment "When we discovered the sea was coming under the bank we tried to shore it up. We failed1." What bank did she refer to? My take on it is that she referred to the plug at Gibralter. I believe the Beanies are a sea faring people who traveled from the north part of the sea to the southern areas, and knew of the blockage at Gibralter and of the sea it was holding back. Seeing leakage and being unable to repair it, they travelled north, stopping along the way to warn peoples they found of the potential disaster coming.

As far as the Gibralter blockage, consider what would be required to accomplish this. The straight is 7.7 miles wide and various depths, with 1/8 mile being a good average. I don't know how thick a dam would have to be to hold back the Atlantic Ocean but I would guess at least 1/4 mile. Thus, the total material volume needed would be about around one half cubic mile. There's no nearby volcanic activity that could have laid that much material in the small area of the straight. Likewise, there's no evidence that seismic activity could have caused to form the plug, unless the Rock was a *lot* higher than it is now. That leaves either human activity, which seems highly unlikely, or tectonic movement, which seems the most likely. Current evidence points to the African Plate moving toward the Iberian Plate2, so it's certainly likely that Gibralter would close up at some time.

And open up again with continued tectonic movement. There has been discussion of the affect of the sea's inrush on the open Mediterranean. It the Atlantic suddenly broke through at Gibralter, it would either overflow the dam, or crumble it and form rapids. The Mediterranean floor is about 500 feet below sea level. Water falling that distance would indeed be very turbulent but only for a short distance. Consider Niagara Falls, with 150,000 gallons of water per second falling 175 feet. This creates a large amount of energy pounding the river bed at the falls, but a mile of so downriver, it has resolved into only a gentle flow. This is a miniture representation of the story's event at Gibralter, but still, most of the turbulence should dissipate within a few score miles, and would only be a gentle inflow in the northwest basin.

This chart3 shows Cuegan's sea in relation to the Spanish and French coasts. Their home has to be a lot closer to the present coast of Spain or France than we deduced from the Beanie or edfel maps. On this chart, where would their home be, without being inside Their Sea?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
ImageThis seems to differ quite a bit from tavella's bathymetric map.4

Spoiler:
Last edited by Davidy on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

thegreger

Postby thegreger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:17 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Optional decree: Who can come up with the most optimistic prediction for Cuegan?

Have been lurking for so long, I can't even remember if I'm allowed to post images. Either way, hi everybody!

42 guests

Sand Salt Cake!

Postby 42 guests » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:18 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:And yay, I see in my post review that BlitzGirl is back! I hope she brought some cake!

Ah, I knew I was forgetting something! Have some reunion cake, everybody!

Here is some Sand Salt Cake! Do not eat... (Hard, gritty, too warm, and very salty)
Use to make sandcastles.
brick.jpg
Brick of Sand Salt Cake
brick.jpg (25.15 KiB) Viewed 10540 times

- AluisioASG

BlitzGirl

Re: Saltcastles

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:21 am UTC

Hi thegreger! Your prediction is both adorable and practical. Image

42 guests wrote:<snip> It was fairly hard, and quite warm.

That's what she said!
But seriously, that is a chirpin' awesome experiment. :) Steakish!

For papal decree:
Cuegan finds themselves stranded on a hill that turned into an island due to the rising Sea. Just in the nick of Time, the upper portion of the structure from their Sandcastle floats by. Cuegan commandeer this vessel and become Pirates of the Mediterranean who don't really pirate much but instead save the lives of poor molpies who were likewise stranded.

copyrighted by Latent22

ETA:
42 guests wrote:<snip> (Hard, gritty, too warm, and very salty)

You're making this too easy. :mrgreen: But thanks!

ETA2 for papal decree:
Spoiler:
Orcaraptor riding. Need I say more?
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:23 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Optional decree: Who can come up with the most optimistic prediction for Cuegan?[/center]

Finding their old habitat already flooded, both Megan and Cueball are initially crestfallen.
They have failed their mission, the hurry, the run. In depression they sit down on a rock, looking at the slowly flowing water.
Then Megan discovers a trail, large enough to be visible even from a hundred meters away.

Did the tribe move? Hope and spirits rise, both Megan and Cueball jump to their feet and follow the trail.

It takes the better part of third day to catch up, it looks like the tribe has begun breaking camp a few days after the start of Megans' and Cueballs' adventures. Happy reunion. They make it to the higher grounds in time, all ends well.

Side plots:
- The bucket was saved and given to Megan.
- The lore masters from Château d'If make contact. Rosetta and Cueball fall in love, do some rituals and the children come after Rosetta (no one's bald).
- Megan goes into lore master scholarship and is taught to become successor of Rosetta, since she has the drive to explore and the will to do what has to be done. The maps, of course, had been returned long, long ago.
- The hill people indeed failed to warn the shore tribe, but only because the tribe had moved; the people meet and make peace; the dislikes' root cause analysed (a grandgrandgrandgrandgrandfather of Cueball kissed a hill people girl long ago, at a time, where this should only happen after a blessing of the girl's mother.
- The hedgemolpy bit in the catmolpy's tail and was carried to safe and higher grounds as well.
- The catmolpy came to visit the lore masters two years after Megan entering the scholarship and actually apologized for being rude.
- With the final dialogue coming in (Cueball and a daughter sitting outside at night, watching the stars): "Daddy, can you tell me your adventures again?" "Well... yes..." a star falls, and thus ends time.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

thegreger

Postby thegreger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:25 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Hi thegreger! Your prediction is both adorable and practical. Image

Warning signs regarding OTT addiction: After spending countless months lurking, you go into fangirl mode because you get a reply from BlitzGirl. (Yes, the BlitzGirl.)

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:27 am UTC

Davidy wrote:I got about 10 pages behind so many of my thoughts may no longer be relevant, especially since we're nearing at least a partial resolution to the events.

Please don't pin me to the next wall - but why not catching up, first? :?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:32 am UTC

What wowterful predictions, higgs-boson! Image
higgs-boson wrote:<snip> Rosetta and Cueball fall in love, do some rituals and the children come after Rosetta (no one's bald).

Ah, so maybe I wasn't the only one thinking that Rosetta was coming on to Cueball a little bit in the castle? I don't know how I got that vibe, but it was one of the reasons she creeped me out (and perhaps creeped Cueball out, too).

higgs-boson wrote:<snip> With the final dialogue coming in (Cueball and a daughter sitting outside at night, watching the stars): "Daddy, can you tell me your adventures again?" "Well... yes..." a star falls, and thus ends time.

Alternatively, Cueball says, "Well...it all began with two people on a beach..." and Time starts anew, making the Loopists happy. :)

thegreger wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Hi thegreger! Your prediction is both adorable and practical. Image

Warning signs regarding OTT addiction: After spending countless months lurking, you go into fangirl mode because you get a reply from BlitzGirl. (Yes, the BlitzGirl.)

Oh, I'm just one of many BlitzGirls, nowadays. :wink: But it's nice to meet you!

ETA for papal decree:
The three original Beanies, led by Beanie-1 (aka Amtoo) reveal that their dwelling/encampment was really a disguised DUKW. They drive it down and pick up Cuegan and the Forty, and subsequently take a tour of the refilling Mediterranean while learning to make quacking sounds at the behest of enthusiastic tour guide Amtoo.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jeffallen55

Postby jeffallen55 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:33 am UTC

thegreger wrote:Warning signs regarding OTT addiction: After spending countless months lurking, you go into fangirl mode because you get a reply from BlitzGirl. (Yes, the BlitzGirl.)

I started lurking here right about the time she left, and when I saw she was back I got all excited. Just from reading the wiki and the way everyone talks about her.

42 guests

Postby 42 guests » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:36 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

That's what she said!
<snip>

ETA:

You be nice, you. :) Pure as the driven snow here. :oops:

Now time for molpies down.

- AluisioASG

Nilpferdschaf

Postby Nilpferdschaf » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:40 am UTC

I tried to predict what Megan's seeing. Green is the sea rising 3 Pixels, Yellow 6 pixels, and red 9 pixels. This might be a bit useless since the next newpic is due in 30 minutes, but I need to kill some time or I will go crazy waiting.

3 Pixel= 0.075 Cue.

As for the papal decree, maybe the water didn't rise at all and Megan has seen their family/tribe/whatever.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:44 am UTC

jeffallen55 wrote:
thegreger wrote:Warning signs regarding OTT addiction: After spending countless months lurking, you go into fangirl mode because you get a reply from BlitzGirl. (Yes, the BlitzGirl.)

I started lurking here right about the time she left, and when I saw she was back I got all excited. Just from reading the wiki and the way everyone talks about her.

Y'all are making me blush! Image Hi, jeffallen55!

42 guests wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:

That's what she said!
<snip>

ETA:

You be nice, you. :) Pure as the driven snowmansemencoffeecancersaltybabiesonice here. :oops:

FTFY. There's nothing purer than snowmansemencoffeecancersaltybacon!
Oh wait, there wasn't bacon in it the first time. And I missed the babies on ice. But the same still applies!

For papal decree:
The chirpy's larger cousins, the Chirpeagles, swoop down and carry Cuegan safely away from Mt. Doom the rising Sea.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:47 am UTC

So Cueball lived in that area for his whole life. Interesting information.

And he was coming out to the rock, which decreases the likelihood of Cuegan being a couple. ;)

Optimistic prediction: They will get an opportunity to swim in the river. :)

thegreger

Postby thegreger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:50 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote: Y'all are making me blush!

All hail her Blitziness! (What's the point of newcomers other than having minions?)

BlitzGirl wrote: Oh wait, there wasn't bacon in it the first time. And I missed the babies on ice. But the same still applies!

Some might argue that the difference between babies and bacon is mainly a matter of semantics.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:54 am UTC

thegreger wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote: Y'all are making me blush!

All hail her Blitziness! (What's the point of newcomers other than having minions?)

Minions? :D I could use some minions to compliment my molpy army!
Molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy minion minion! Image

Montov wrote:And he was coming out to the rock, which decreases the likelihood of Cuegan being a couple. ;)

The rock understood and loved him anyway. :wink:

For papal decree: The rock, actually a type of geological Ent, tells its buddies to create a new mountain under the encampment of the Forty, making the group safe from the rising Sea. This also saves Cuegan. Cueball is so grateful that he realizes who his two real loves have been this whole Time, and a new relationship is born: Rockuegan.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:00 am UTC

THIS IS NOT THE RIVER OF BABYLONG ... AND IT COMES.

Nilpferdschaf

Postby Nilpferdschaf » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:03 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:THIS IS NOT THE RIVER OF BABYLONG ... AND IT COMES.
Spoiler:

The last few frames they were running on really flat terrain, they're going to get their feet wet pretty soon.

Tables

Postby Tables » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:07 am UTC

So the title text has changed to "RUN." Has the title text changed before?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:11 am UTC

On the plus side, Cuegan is going to be in great shape if they survive this.

For papal decree: Cuegan RUNS faster than 88mph and travels back in Time to the year 1955...
...Oh. That might be a bad idea, considering the level of the Mediterranean in 1955...
...I'll try to think of another one...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:16 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:On the plus side, Cuegan is going to be in great shape if they survive this.

For papal decree: Cuegan RUNS faster than 88mph and travels back in Time to the year 1955...
...Oh. That might be a bad idea, considering the level of the Mediterranean in 1955...
...I'll try to think of another one...

I am not sure this procedure works without air raid warning, anyway. Sorry.

jeffallen55

Postby jeffallen55 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:23 am UTC

Yay I made it to the release of 3005!

The molpys have come to make me coma, so I'll be fast. Random thoughts on m3004:

Spoiler:

A bucket, perhaps? Unlikely. LaPe's hat? Very doubtful. Unless she lost it while parasailing from the back of the Ark of the Mediterranean. What about a molpy? Or more accurate, many moplies, raptors, etc. all also trying to get away from the flood. Larger molplies. Lucky's meowply family. Cowplys, Chimplys. Olyphaumplies! And the fauna lead Cuegan up to the Pyrenees, where the others were waiting.

I could turn this into a TeT theory, but I'd want to go more fanciful. Not sure how, but monkly butlers would be involved.

DOGPY DOWN!
Spoiler:
Last edited by jeffallen55 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

time burglar

Postby time burglar » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:25 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Marty, you're not thinking third dimensionally!

highwater

Postby highwater » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:27 am UTC

Prediction (optimized per papal decree): at the last moment, the Beanies find a new, successful way to dam-up the breach in Gibraltar, and the sea stops rising. Meghan and Cueball move into the shack, which is now beachfront property. They adopt Lucky's litter as pets, raise two children of their own, and live happily ever after. After a few newpix of thanks to the OTT's elders as a credits-sequence, their children wander to the beach and begin building a sandcastle. Thus repeats Time, except that in the repeat the Mini-Cuegan find some beanie-wearing strangers in the Alps, instead of in Marseilles.

Edited to fix bad grammar and ambiguities.
Last edited by highwater on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:38 am UTC

jeffallen55 wrote:A bucket, perhaps? Unlikely. LaPe's hat? Very doubtful. Unless she lost it while parasailing from the back of the Ark of the Mediterranean. What about a molpy? Or more accurate, many moplies, raptors, etc. all also trying to get away from the flood. Larger molplies. Lucky's meowply family. Cowplys, Chimplys. Olyphaumplies! And the fauna lead Cuegan up to the Pyrenees, where the others were waiting.

Crazy thought, I know, but maybe there's water?
Go Minim go!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:43 am UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
jeffallen55 wrote:A bucket, perhaps? Unlikely. LaPe's hat? Very doubtful. Unless she lost it while parasailing from the back of the Ark of the Mediterranean. What about a molpy? Or more accurate, many moplies, raptors, etc. all also trying to get away from the flood. Larger molplies. Lucky's meowply family. Cowplys, Chimplys. Olyphaumplies! And the fauna lead Cuegan up to the Pyrenees, where the others were waiting.

Crazy thought, I know, but maybe there's water?

But the point remains valid: Where's the fleeing wildlife? Water coming in isn't as panic creating as fire, so I would not expect a wave of hooves and paws, but ... animals aren't stupid per se.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:46 am UTC

Hmm, I'll wait a NP before posting my next prediction, with the

For my fans I've made a start on the predictions page:
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Predictions
(others are allowed to read it and add to it as well. I didn't make it Neil specific, for there have been many inventive predictions here. Add your own and those you encounter!)

I had quite a scare this mornix. Spoilered for seeishness:
Spoiler:
A while back I tried to log in at another system. As my memory is poor I didn't know my password (as usual) so I used the usual trick to get around that: I clicked "Forgot my password" and used the password in that mail.
Alas. That password was incorrect. Did I copy a space in front of the password? One behind it? None were so. I tried it again, with the same luck.
I mailed fora a xkcd com to contact someone who could help and continued with my outside stuff.
I waited a day. And another day. Days became a week and I tried again. Nothing. A week became weeks without an answer. My link to the OTT was a silk thread made of the login cookie at my work PC.
Then disaster struck. I misclicked. I was aiming for the "advanced search". But the blood levels in my caffeine were to high. I clicked the wrong mustardy link.
I clicked "logout". A terrible fear squeezed my heart. Was I able to log back in? Could I use the ketchup post I was writing to send a last message to the OTTers so they might help me to recover?
Loging in didn't work. Recovering passwords didn't work. The message could not be posted because I was not logged in.

In short: I was logged out and couldn't log back in. At the end of my wits I tried the "resend activation email". I was send an activation email. After following that link I the forum told me that my original password was reactivated. For a second I thought: "That's bloody useless. I have no clue as to what that was!". Then :idea: . I clicked "I forgot my password". The new password worked. Yaay!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:51 am UTC

I can't imagine there's much wildlife down there in the salty(semencoffeeetc) desert by the briny sea - we didn't even see birds till further up and nearer the other river. Not really sure what the Cueganians have been eating all this time, but I doubt there are that many creatures nearby that would be evacuating right now.

Scorbut

Postby Scorbut » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:52 am UTC

Hi all !

For my first post here, I will probably miss a lot of things and insult most of the traditions that seem to be running on the OTT. For my defense, I didn't started reading it since the beginning (even though I'm following the OTC since - almost - the beginning), so I'm not sure if there is something I should do about ketchup, or a cake, or a papal decree, or anything. I just wanted to answer to this :

BlitzGirl wrote: This reminds me of something I learned in one of my classes, though I can't for the life of me remember which class, or even what yip I learned it. In cultures that read left-to-right, there is a tendency to give objects traveling left-to-right across a field of view more positive associations: moving forward, progressing, heading the correct way. Objects moving right-to-left, or against-the-grain, are more apt to be viewed with suspicion or a sense of wrongness.

The question interested me, so I did a quick research, and found that : "The effect of left-right reversal on film: Watching Kurosawa reversed" in the journal i-perception (I can't put the adress here, seems to cause my message to be considered as a spam).

This is a paper published in 2011, as far as I understand, talking about having people looking at mirror-reversed films, and trying to see what happens. I just had a quick glance inside the paper, and if the idea is interesting, the statistics seem to be quite weak (but, well, the idea is interesting - it was probably worth doing it). Nevertheless, the authors do not seem to be aware to the theory you are referring to (the left-to-right vs right-to-left movements), and it actually sounds like more of a legend about psychology of people looking at movies than an actual true phenomenon. Do you think you could try to remember some more information about that to see if we are able to find a more precise description of it ?

And, by the way, I'm not a native English speaker, so maybe my question is silly, but why are papal decrees questions ? Shouldn't they be, well, decrees ?

squonk

Postby squonk » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:58 am UTC

Prediction: Megan and Cueball will learn that they can fly if they try really, really hard. Then they will meet up with Bucket Boy and spend the rest of their lives in paradise on Dryland.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:58 am UTC

mindonner wrote:I can't imagine there's much wildlife down there in the salty(semencoffeeetc) desert by the briny sea - we didn't even see birds till further up and nearer the other river. Not really sure what the Cueganians have been eating all this time, but I doubt there are that many creatures nearby that would be evacuating right now.

Perhaps the reason the Hill People don't like Cuegan's people is because the Forty eat Hill People.

For decree: The Forty make a raft of Hill People bones and are carried by the Sea all the way to Beansborough, where they find a new food supply, an awefulsome Castle, and a bunch of really neat books. Cuegan RUNS all the way back and become the new Leader/Teacher/Rulers of the Castle.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”