1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

frakhorsestaplers

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:00 am UTC

People sightONG

Papal decree...not only will Cuegan and LaPetite eat baguettes on the Eiffel tower, but they'll also dance around a fleur-de-lis while summoning Cthulhu to eat the hill people.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:04 am UTC

Prediction: Cueball and Megan realize it's hopeless. As the water churns around them, they choose to spend their last earthly moments in a kiss. Stunned by the beauty of their love, the sea stops, and with a new warmth and joy, goes back to where it came from.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

tinosoph

Postby tinosoph » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:04 am UTC

Now we'll have a serious case of Jesus. Or boats. Or hoverboards.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi! My OTT-lurking has been quite quiet lately.
i'm not new, i'm just infrequent

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:06 am UTC

For that I'll post a happy prediction:

The people across the water are the search and rescue party for Quegan. They have boats and life vests and everything required. They'll be fine. They move to Barcelona and have a nice beach side property.

Pope!
If you feel like it, I'd like to know the worst morning you care to describe.

Wow, a lot of first posts somewhere before this!
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:40 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:07 am UTC

Ellipses! I suppose Megan could just be out of breath, but I think here she's just not sure whether to say Sea1 or River2, so had to pick a neutral3 word instead.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:12 am UTC

Pikrass wrote:
Angelastic wrote:I'm about 330km from the castle, by the way, and I can get to a restaurant called Château d'If in about half an hour. I'm also not far from part of a pretty neat river that's bigger than it looks.

In September I'll move to another city, from which I'll be 383 km from the Château d'If. We should definitely hold a convention there. :D

Darnit, in September I'll move to another city, which will be farther from the Château d'If. But I'd go there for an OTTer convention!

suzi wrote:If they find survivors from The Forty, isn't there a decent chance they'll have a conversation that includes the real names of Cuegan? "Oh hey! [Megan]! [Cueball]! We thought you died! Now get us out of here!"

My feeling is we're not going to get anyone's names at this point. I don't even think that Beanie's name is AM2. It would be strange for Randall to suddenly start giving people names this far in.

xpatiate wrote:Also, "not a lot of us by the shore this time of year" implies to me that the 40 are not broadly nomadic, but possibly migrate up and down the river, staying close to the fresh water. Cuegan for whatever reason chose to stay by the shore rather than where the river was currently at.

That's what I thought, for a little while, but then I remembered they said, 'I'm glad we found this river. It's not much farther from home than ours is at its driest.' which implies that they stay put even when the drying river recedes away from them.

Latent22 wrote:I've been thinking about how he came up with the OTC. I think he probably came across the Mediterranean drying up and flooding again thing and though to himself "That's so cool. Imagine all that water returning back again. Wouldn't it be amazing to be there when that happened. Would people have settled the reclaimed land and then get wiped out when it flooded?". And then he thought he should make a xkcd about it and thought of some ideas but he couldn't express it in a xkcd strip.

Yes, this is pretty much what I think as well; I think this could have been something that captured his attention and which he kept going back and thinking more about over the years.

Optimistic prediction, although the ninja detector implies we have a new pope now: They realise the sea is made of bacon, and ride upon the rising tide of bacon to the French coast, where they find potatoes and cheese and make a tartiflette the size of Aegaeon.

Wow, molpon sea salt. Molpy on, dudes!
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:15 am UTC

Hmmmmh. If I'd add a "Mashups" page to the wiki...
Are we safe and sound with CC BY-NC 2.5 by default?

Link the images from the forum?
Or upload them into the wiki?
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 am UTC

*closes eyes, crosses fingers* LaPetite on the sandcastle raft. LaPetite on the sandcastle raft. LaPetite on the sandcastle raft.

ggh wrote:Prediction: Cueball and Megan realize it's hopeless. As the water churns around them, they choose to spend their last earthly moments in a kiss. Stunned by the beauty of their love, the sea stops, and with a new warmth and joy, goes back to where it came from.

Awww. Or that :D

Neil_Boekend wrote:For that I'll post a happy prediction:

The people across the water are the search and rescue party for Quegan. They have boats and life vests and everything required. They'll be fine. They move to Barcelona and have a nice beach side property.

Image I was just about to say we need Neil_Boekend to pop up with a wildly implausible prediction of their unexpected survival! Ninja'd by the man himself.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:21 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:*closes eyes, crosses fingers* LaPetite on the sandcastle raft. LaPetite on the sandcastle raft. LaPetite on the sandcastle raft.

ggh wrote:Prediction: Cueball and Megan realize it's hopeless. As the water churns around them, they choose to spend their last earthly moments in a kiss. Stunned by the beauty of their love, the sea stops, and with a new warmth and joy, goes back to where it came from.

Awww. Or that :D

Neil_Boekend wrote:For that I'll post a happy prediction:

Image I was just about to say we need Neil_Boekend to pop up with a wildly implausible prediction of their unexpected survival! Ninja'd by the man himself.

That felt quite impossible at a point this mornix.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:27 am UTC

Wow, I wonder what will happen when they all meet up? Surely we're not going to have a group of forty (easily distinguishable?) people all evacuating together frame-by-frame? Megan and Cueball might get swallowed up by the crowd (even if not literally) and we can never be sure if the same characters emerge... unless the Forty are all wearing hats, or in a submarine, or something...

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 am UTC

So...if their previous, old sea is 1, what is the new sea gonna be??? 11? really 1?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:31 am UTC

spamjam wrote:So...if their previous, old sea is 1, what is the new sea gonna be??? 11? really 1?

I quite like 11
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

[sup][sub]1[/sub]1[/sup]

he/him/his

Wildhound

Re: Saltcastles

Postby Wildhound » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:44 am UTC

42 guests wrote:Salty sandcastles.

Loving your work, that is some serious commitment to the cause. I think you've cracked it, seems pretty plausible that their beach could have been a similar consistency.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:00 am UTC

MovONG

For the papal decree...a cold February day. Thyroxine levels are at an all time low. Shivering, low energy, and unhappiness are constant. Skin on hands has turned flaky and rough. Eating a single meal is so nauseating a prospect that it isn't even considered. Once leaving bed is accomplished, a new pain from movement is discovered. Human contact is not possible for safety reasons. Someone has been shot in the town where I go to school.
Last edited by frakhorsestaplers on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:01 am UTC

ObstructiONG
Spoiler:

arse.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:04 am UTC

A (non-Beanish) linguist muses:

Ever since Cueball said "eventually" in the Château d'If, Megball's language seems to have made great, multi-syllabic strides.

However, as I did way back in the sandcastle days, I still find them in the Uncanny Valley of language.

Considering the impending disaster and the way they fled from the Château d'If, their exchanges since appear to be a very odd mix of sombre talk and light-hearted banter as though they were on a nice country ramble. They don't appear to be afraid for their own survival or - in what they say, anyway - too worried about the others. This seems odd.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:07 am UTC

Blindpost- NP 1143

The map! They were actually in the Mediterranean after all! This is insanely exciting, the kind of stuff I can really sink my teeth into. I always loved studying maps, and especially sea level differences, ice age and so on.

NetWeasel, thanks for your elaboration, much appreciated, but I didn't up seeing any spoilers after all, maybe it was fixed in the intervening time.

As of this point in the thread, the OTB list stands as such:
Spoiler:
Yappobiscuits: Piano/keyboards, guitar, bass, accordion, tin whistles, recorder, clarinet, tenor banjo, ukelele, percussion, voice
Fhorn: french horn
Valarya: trumpet, piano, voice
lmjb1964: percussion, viola, voice
NoMouse: trumpet
ucim: piano, guitar, hammer dulcimer, accordion
Ximenez: ?
HAL9000: piano
ofvn2vw1872?
taixso: violin, guitar, piano, recorder
xpatiate?
Angelastic: rainstick!
cellocgw: cello, bass
mojacardave: trombone
Kazza3: clarinet, alto sax, guitar, piano, voice

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:11 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:A (non-Beanish) linguist muses:

Ever since Cueball said "eventually" in the Château d'If, Megball's language seems to have made great, multi-syllabic strides.

However, as I did way back in the sandcastle days, I still find them in the Uncanny Valley of language.

Considering the impending disaster and the way they fled from the Château d'If, their exchanges since appear to be a very odd mix of sombre talk and light-hearted banter as though they were on a nice country ramble. They don't appear to be afraid for their own survival or - in what they say, anyway - too worried about the others. This seems odd.

I've been thinking--do they say anything outside of the types of things that would be said on Simple Wikipedia, or in Up Goer Five? That might explain their occasionally odd phrasings (if the language being Unglish wasn't the real explanation).

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:11 am UTC

Just got back from vacation. Besides someone bumping into my front bumper, it was actually pretty good. However, I noticed that I am now 25 NEWPAGES BEHIND in a weekend? :shock: What do you people think you have the :arrow: to contribute so much? And no :roll: in the back there!

Or is it about 10 NPs of 'Welcome back, BlitzGirl?'

As an aside, this might be the good place in time to rant a little bit on my favority meta-topic: the OTC. I was a bit disappointed with the whole Dea-ex-machina concept of Rosetta, the one-who-thinks-she-knows-all. Beside the obvious communication difficulties, it is odd that the NoClueGan 40 would not have any social connections outside their own circle, and therefore known, by transition, be known by at least one beanie. I mean, it is not set in the African jungle (if still existing) but in the mediterranean, so chances of bumping into someone would be small, but not negligible. As we are still talking civilized group, where focus is beyond mere survival (why build sandcastles if you live from the land) it also raises the question of how people communicate (news, folklore), trade (where does their food come from?) and procreate (is 40 even viable for survival?). In a group that small, it is also odd that two people can just on a moment's notice take off on a quest for knowledge. Coming back to my disappointment, it is all just to convenient that they would have to happen on an Oracle that will give them just the tools they need to save their 40 (or not, of course, but my suspicion is they will and thus ends time).

I think someone else said that this has the feeling of a really long, drawn-out version of a what-if.

What I also find odd is that there is lot of speculation on what Randall thought and whether he should do this or follows/skims the OTT, which is nice in its own right, but it raises the question why noone from the community seems to have written to him just to ask these questions. But maybe that's just me. Feel free to ignore me. (who? rvloon? never heard of him.)

Ronald

ETA: BTW, I'm a singer (well, not as my main profession. I am a software architect). Mostly classical, (although I'd love to do a capella)
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:14 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:A (non-Beanish) linguist muses:

They seem to be imbued with an innate confidence. It's as if, even though they are aware of the danger and urgency, the prospect of failure is alien to them. I don't know if this is naivety, or that they have lead a life free of existential threat up to now, or something else...

Nilpferdschaf

Postby Nilpferdschaf » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:18 am UTC

I tried stitching the last few scenes together to see how much the water has risen, but he must have skipped a few scenes. Assuming the scenes are right next to each other without slopes in between, the water is now actually lower than it was when they crossed the little stream by more than a cue.

The last two M3006 and M3007 might show part of the same scenery, it doesn't overlap quite perfectly. If that's the case, the water level is down by only 0.75 cues, so there is still a slope somewhere that we didn't see, or maybe the water in the old river bed comes from another source? Could the rising sea level affect the water level of their river?

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:25 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:I've been thinking--do they say anything outside of the types of things that would be said on Simple Wikipedia, or in Up Goer Five? That might explain their occasionally odd phrasings (if the language being Unglish wasn't the real explanation).

I was about to code something up to check this, using the dialogue from the wiki and any lists I could find of the top 1000 most frequent English words. But then I noticed that the word "eventually" didn't feature in any of the lists I could find. Except in one list, which contained the top 4000 words, where it was ranked 1001st. So, that theory appears to have fallen at the first hurdle. :)

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:32 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:Considering the impending disaster and the way they fled from the Château d'If, their exchanges since appear to be a very odd mix of sombre talk and light-hearted banter as though they were on a nice country ramble. They don't appear to be afraid for their own survival or - in what they say, anyway - too worried about the others. This seems odd.

Mission.
Exhaustion.
Determination.
Adrenaline.

mk_chem

Postby mk_chem » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:36 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:[...]

i don't think it's odd in every way.

if they were too afraid of the water because of their own safety, would they have departed into the valley? especially given, that they know now, that the valley will be sea in days, not years ( http://xkcd.mscha.org/xkcd_time_20130719_1500.png )

their hasty departure tells me, they are more arfraid of their people's safety.

and like hunjoh said, they're nomads, they are accustomed to travelling. so why not have healthy smalltallk while on the way :D

having to flee from their original homeland doesn't need to be the apocalypse for cuegan. perhaps they see it more like an adventure.

Spoiler:
or they are morbid.

and what higgs-boson said :)

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:46 am UTC

Kinjion wrote:De-lurking now, just so I can say "well, I was around before Cuegan returned to the sea" at some time in the future.

The subtleties of this thread still escape me, so if I'm missing the mark on any de-lurking etiquette right now, my apologies :lol:

Don't bother, the knowledge of "de-lurk" already presupposes a certain degree of OTT education.

Greetings. :)

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:59 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
Eutychus wrote:I've been thinking--do they say anything outside of the types of things that would be said on Simple Wikipedia, or in Up Goer Five? That might explain their occasionally odd phrasings (if the language being Unglish wasn't the real explanation).

I was about to code something up to check this, using the dialogue from the wiki and any lists I could find of the top 1000 most frequent English words. But then I noticed that the word "eventually" didn't feature in any of the lists I could find. Except in one list, which contained the top 4000 words, where it was ranked 1001st. So, that theory appears to have fallen at the first hurdle. :)

er language does seem to be some what simplified. I'd started working on this before Below is a table of word frequency and length for Megan up until frame Aubron 3000

Spoiler:
Word Frequency Length

Code: Select all

I   67   1
the   66   3
It   56   2
We   41   2
to   37   2
A   36   1
Its   35   3
You   31   3
Is   26   2
sea   23   3
Yeah   22   4
OK   21   2
That   20   4
And   18   3
What   16   4
But   16   3
Not   16   3
don't   15   4
No   15   2
Oh   15   2
river   14   5
This   13   4
Can   13   3
Of   13   2
here   12   4
Like   12   4
If   12   2
think   11   5
Have   11   4
Are   11   3
see   11   3
be   11   2
water   10   5
was   10   3
Do   10   2
Maybe   9   5
There   9   5
from   9   4
were   9   4
get   9   3
one   9   3
up   9   2
wonder   8   6
than   8   4
how   8   3
Now   8   3
something   7   9
going   7   5
Still   7   5
back   7   4
down   7   4
Just   7   4
They   7   4
your   7   4
Hey   7   3
at   7   2
on   7   2
castle   6   6
really   6   6
Could   6   5
found   6   5
know   6   4
Look   6   4
Neat   6   4
need   6   4
some   6   4
Want   6   4
for   6   3
Too   6   3
as   6   2
I'm   6   2
in   6   2
us   6   2
understand   5   10
through   5   7
enough   5   6
didn't   5   5
been   5   4
find   5   4
More   5   4
Walk   5   4
Any   5   3
Our   5   3
out   5   3
way   5   3
Why   5   3
mountain   4   8
people   4   6
rising   4   6
Should   4   6
There's   4   6
doing   4   5
right   4   5
What's   4   5
away   4   4
Does   4   4
home   4   4
hurt   4   4
land   4   4
long   4   4
much   4   4
then   4   4
Well   4   4
When   4   4
All   4   3
far   4   3
top   4   3
me   4   2
So   4   2
Probably   3   8
flowing   3   7
started   3   7
Before   3   6
bigger   3   6
doesn't   3   6
rivers   3   6
Chirp   3   5
empty   3   5
flows   3   5
guess   3   5
heard   3   5
Looks   3   5
Never   3   5
sleep   3   5
Thank   3   5
where   3   5
would   3   5
baby   3   4
bite   3   4
cant   3   4
Even   3   4
fast   3   4
must   3   4
Over   3   4
Sure   3   4
them   3   4
turn   3   4
Did   3   3
eat   3   3
got   3   3
by   3   2
go   3   2
Hi   3   2
my   3   2
Um   3   2
definitely   2   10
beautiful   2   9
mountains   2   9
somewhere   2   9
anything   2   8
thinking   2   8
Careful   2   7
couldn't   2   7
farther   2   7
imagine   2   7
Thirsty   2   7
thought   2   7
tonight   2   7
upriver   2   7
walking   2   7
almost   2   6
around   2   6
cooler   2   6
either   2   6
faster   2   6
follow   2   6
haven't   2   6
higher   2   6
little   2   6
looked   2   6
making   2   6
sounds   2   6
They're   2   6
things   2   6
Every   2   5
first   2   5
great   2   5
hills   2   5
hurts   2   5
night   2   5
other   2   5
quiet   2   5
reach   2   5
shore   2   5
small   2   5
stars   2   5
start   2   5
That's   2   5
These   2   5
thing   2   5
those   2   5
times   2   5
Wanna   2   5
Weird   2   5
while   2   5
world   2   5
bags   2   4
deep   2   4
flag   2   4
Food   2   4
gets   2   4
goes   2   4
good   2   4
help   2   4
high   2   4
idea   2   4
into   2   4
isn't   2   4
Lets   2   4
live   2   4
make   2   4
maps   2   4
mean   2   4
part   2   4
real   2   4
rise   2   4
seen   2   4
swim   2   4
tiny   2   4
very   2   4
We've   2   4
will   2   4
wont   2   4
Yawn   2   4
year   2   4
big   2   3
Bye   2   3
cut   2   3
day   2   3
few   2   3
hit   2   3
Hmm   2   3
Ill   2   3
leg   2   3
lot   2   3
old   2   3
Ooh   2   3
saw   2   3
WOW   2   3
Yes   2   3
yet   2   3
an   2   2
Or   2   2
OW   2   2
breathtaking   1   12
Everything   1   10
protecting   1   10
surprising   1   10
understood   1   10
ambitious   1   9
connected   1   9
dangerous   1   9
different   1   9
following   1   9
furniture   1   9
lifetimes   1   9
shoreline   1   9
surprised   1   9
accident   1   8
bleeding   1   8
changing   1   8
Climbing   1   8
coloring   1   8
continue   1   8
crossing   1   8
everyone   1   8
familiar   1   8
followed   1   8
glinting   1   8
guessing   1   8
injuries   1   8
markings   1   8
overflow   1   8
pointing   1   8
possible   1   8
question   1   8
seawater   1   8
should've   1   8
straight   1   8
supposed   1   8
thousand   1   8
treating   1   8
whatever   1   8
wherever   1   8
anyone's   1   7
Because   1   7
brought   1   7
changed   1   7
collect   1   7
devices   1   7
feeling   1   7
figured   1   7
Finally   1   7
flashes   1   7
flicker   1   7
further   1   7
getting   1   7
Goodbye   1   7
grabbed   1   7
greener   1   7
HELLOOO   1   7
learned   1   7
looking   1   7
morning   1   7
Nothing   1   7
pausing   1   7
peeping   1   7
ruining   1   7
Shelves   1   7
smaller   1   7
someday   1   7
staring   1   7
windier   1   7
across   1   6
adding   1   6
always   1   6
amount   1   6
answer   1   6
banged   1   6
barely   1   6
behind   1   6
better   1   6
bottle   1   6
broken   1   6
chirps   1   6
colder   1   6
coming   1   6
course   1   6
deeper   1   6
easier   1   6
ending   1   6
Forgot   1   6
ground   1   6
hills)   1   6
inside   1   6
jumble   1   6
moving   1   6
others   1   6
places   1   6
pulled   1   6
reason   1   6
Recent   1   6
second   1   6
single   1   6
snakes   1   6
spikes   1   6
starts   1   6
stolen   1   6
stream   1   6
Thanks   1   6
they've   1   6
though   1   6
toward   1   6
towers   1   6
trying   1   6
walked   1   6
wanted   1   6
waters   1   6
weapon   1   6
worked   1   6
agree   1   5
ahead   1   5
aimed   1   5
alone   1   5
Along   1   5
angry   1   5
awake   1   5
blood   1   5
bored   1   5
close   1   5
cover   1   5
cross   1   5
eight   1   5
extra   1   5
float   1   5
guide   1   5
hadn't   1   5
Hello   1   5
leave   1   5
light   1   5
lines   1   5
lucky   1   5
marks   1   5
might   1   5
mouth   1   5
place   1   5
plans   1   5
quite   1   5
scary   1   5
Sorry   1   5
spend   1   5
stare   1   5
steam   1   5
stock   1   5
stuff   1   5
taken   1   5
taste   1   5
tents   1   5
today   1   5
tower   1   5
using   1   5
wants   1   5
watch   1   5
wings   1   5
works   1   5
wrong   1   5
years   1   5
You're   1   5
bowl   1   4
bugs   1   4
came   1   4
Claw   1   4
Come   1   4
dust   1   4
else   1   4
eyes   1   4
Face   1   4
feet   1   4
fill   1   4
fine   1   4
Five   1   4
ford   1   4
Four   1   4
give   1   4
hard   1   4
hear   1   4
hope   1   4
keep   1   4
kids   1   4
kind   1   4
knew   1   4
late   1   4
lean   1   4
left   1   4
less   1   4
loud   1   4
mine   1   4
move   1   4
near   1   4
Nope   1   4
once   1   4
only   1   4
ours   1   4
past   1   4
path   1   4
poor   1   4
raft   1   4
rain   1   4
rate   1   4
rest   1   4
rock   1   4
rose   1   4
sand   1   4
seem   1   4
soon   1   4
spot   1   4
stay   1   4
stop   1   4
such   1   4
take   1   4
time   1   4
tree   1   4
wait   1   4
wear   1   4
wide   1   4
with   1   4
wood   1   4
you'd   1   4
bet   1   3
bug   1   3
end   1   3
fun   1   3
had   1   3
has   1   3
Huh   1   3
It'd   1   3
I've   1   3
put   1   3
red   1   3
sky   1   3
sun   1   3
ten   1   3
try   1   3
Ugh   1   3
Umm   1   3
wet   1   3
Yup   1   3
am   1   2
Id   1   2
Mm   1   2

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:00 am UTC

SafeONG

alemhnan

Postby alemhnan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:03 am UTC

anybody noticed that the image caption changed? it says ''Run" now!

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:13 am UTC

Gedeon wrote:SafeONG

Uh oh, not sure that seems like a good idea :?
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:14 am UTC

poxic wrote:
(edit to add: Emergency! Everybody to get from street!)

Harrumph. I saw that movie when it first came out. I guess that qualifies me for the GetOffaMyLawn Club :wink:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

rvloon

Re: Cake Time!

Postby rvloon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:14 am UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Gulf Water Song
an OTTification of Gulf War Song by Moxy Früvous
Spoiler:
We all were told how to escape from the water in the Gulf
But we couldn't save anyone's family
So we tried, then gave up, 'cause the sage was not wrong
But we tried so damn thumb-in-a-damly [or don't-breach/give-a-damly?]
What makes a person so poisonous righteous
That they'd think less of anyone who just disagreed?
They are just scientists, we are just optimists
If we said they were crazy, would they leave us at sea?

Fighters for safe retreat, fighters for racing
Fighters for all the souls in the basin
Don't tell us we can't fight, just 'cause you know you're right
Your history seems to agree that heroes fight through the sea.

So we ran and we watched as the water lapped at the hills
And we learned so much more from our sortie.
Will we sail? Will we fail? Were the questions unasked.
Will we die for the sake of the forty?
What could we say... we still don't understand the world?
The tsunami of knowledge through which we have been hurled.
Our kind of life makes such ravages unthinkable
We like to build castles, take swims and feed squirrels…

Fighters for prudent plans, fighters for racing
Don't tell us we can't fight just 'cause you know you're right
Your history seems to agree that heroes fight through the sea
That one would fight all for three

We are just simpletons, they are just naysayers.
That's where the beach was, that's where the sea...
And history seems to agree
that heroes fight through the sea
That one would risk all for three

Is that how it always will be?

That was great! I did not expect another fruhead in this bunch...
NObody expects... anyway, great job!

I listened this on my iPod driving home just the other day, so... chalk me up as one as well!

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:17 am UTC

neopifex wrote:
chem1190c wrote:I think the whole thing is a diversion.. Hairdo was obviously buying time to launch the Secret Royal Beanish Navy just in time for the flood.

Something like this:
Spoiler:

Holy molpy! How did you animate that so smoothly? Pretty amazing!

Oops. Missed the responses last night.. the key word being 'animate'. It's a full fledged 3d animation with a little bit of motion tracking for camera wobble :wink:
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

Neil_Boekend

Re: Squeezing the bottle to get the last bits out

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:22 am UTC

Ketchup
Spoiler: seeish ketchup cake image
Spoiler:
[/img]http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4700/166d3/products/571/images/1435/tomato_ketchup_cake__26922.1332839357.1280.1280.jpg[img]

spoiler: discussion about generating energy from the flow through the Straights
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:How come the salty water is flowing back now? There must be some effect we are not considering.

Also, if the salinity of the Mediterranean sea was increased slowly enough it might not effect sealife too much. A higher salinity would mean the return pipe doesn't have to be 1 km deep.

The water is flowing west because it is heavier than the water there (more dense). So the water in the atlantic tends to float over the denser water (i.e. east) and the denser water tends to sink under the lighter water to its west. In effect, the denser water just flows downhill as it would in air, but not as quickly since it is lighter water and not very much lighter air to the west.

Do you want to bet an ecosystem on your guess about the rate of increase of salinity? Especially if you don't allow for in and outmigration of the wildlife?

Yes, higher salinity would been less depth, but it would have to be a lot to be very significant and then the ecosystem dies.

I see now how the water flows. It's flowing because the height difference now isn't 2 meters. It's a bit less. By definition it's enough less that the backflow works with the 900m height difference there is (that's almost the required 1 km).

I wouldn't simply test the higher salinity in the Mediterranean. I'd start with an extensive research into the wildlife and the salinity it can accept without trouble. Then I'd increase the salinity to somewhere below that level. The increased salinity would force the wildlife to accept a higher salinity. Continuing research would indicate an allowed salinity. The salinity must be increased slowly to force the evolution.

I'd increase the salinity by building the dam, with a backflow hole on the bedrock. With the seawater level difference between the Atlantic and the Mediterranean the salinity level can be regulated.

Of course there are some snags.
*Greed may drive the required electrical output up, thus the level difference and thus the salinity. That may kill the project due to mass death in the Mediterranean.
*Century plans are not the forte of political parties that need to produce results before the next election. (Don't get me wrong on that one.)
Bump:
Jokern wrote:Delurker here! o/
Have followed the OTC since start, and have followed the OTT sporadically since the start but more since they encountered the beanies. I think I've read every post since NP1180.

A comment on the discussion on what Rosetta knew about their tribe:
I think Rosetta was well informed of how the evacuation was going, she might even have a list of about how many people was evacuated. On this list there was no group of 40 from the general area they were from.

A few pages back there was alot of discussion of how you could build a dam too lower the level of the water and keep tabs on the salinity? What I'm wondering is why we put so much effort in trying to explain how to keep a good in-/outflow of water and salt? Isn't it obvious that this is not the case? I mean whatever is blocking the strait does not allow water to flow in/out.
What I'm wondering is does a solution to this puzzle give us information to if human were the cause of the dam?

ETA: also what is this?

he/him/his

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:26 am UTC

I guess that Eva Cassidy's version<3 is (without doubt and with every reason) the most famous.
But I found myself fascinated by the voices of Tedeschi Trucks Bands cover of Wade in the Water.

Does apply.

<3here you go

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:31 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:
f0rmicUla wrote:
Anna-X wrote:(snip) So basically, what could possibly have happened on Earth that would wipe out all this "basic knowledge" but not all of human kind? Even if there were to be some sort of apocalypse that would nuke us back to the stone age, I find it hard to believe that general knowledge, technology wouldn't survive? (snip)

This does remind me of a SF story- I read only one part of a series- where people had hightech but barely understood how it worked, let alone how to build or repair any of the stuff they used. They had exo skeletons and navigation and even the consciousnesses of their ancestors implanted (some of them were incomplete or unstable).

Yep, it seems all too possible to me. Pump 6 by Paolo Bacigalupi is one such horribly plausible near-future scenario.

I think The Machine Stops by EM Forster was the first significant story with that theme. Feeling of Power by Asimov comes to mind, and if I were home (where I still have several meters' worth of SF on my bookshelves) I could list a few more. It's not all that far-fetched: I often ask friends to guess how many people in the world know how to manufacture an automobile brake pad, just to demonstrate how specialized most of our current knowledge is. Most of us have no idea how most of our existing technologies work.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:32 am UTC

Tables wrote:So the title text has changed to "RUN." Has the title text changed before?

It was "..." in frame 2920 and from then on its been "RUN."

edit: numbering from mscha.
Last edited by jestingrabbit on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:38 am UTC

Throwing firstpost forward.
Scorbut wrote:Hi all !

For my first post here, I will probably miss a lot of things and insult most of the traditions that seem to be running on the OTT. For my defense, I didn't started reading it since the beginning (even though I'm following the OTC since - almost - the beginning), so I'm not sure if there is something I should do about ketchup, or a cake, or a papal decree, or anything. I just wanted to answer to this :

BlitzGirl wrote: This reminds me of something I learned in one of my classes, though I can't for the life of me remember which class, or even what yip I learned it. In cultures that read left-to-right, there is a tendency to give objects traveling left-to-right across a field of view more positive associations: moving forward, progressing, heading the correct way. Objects moving right-to-left, or against-the-grain, are more apt to be viewed with suspicion or a sense of wrongness.

Filmmakers sometimes take advantage of this bias in the movement of characters and play that off of the plot. Heroes will more often enter from the left side of the frame and move right. A character that travels right-to-left across the frame, with the against-the-grain eeriness, creates a subconscious tension in the minds of the viewing audience.

I have a sneaking suspicion that GLR knows this theory. I also have a sneaking suspicion that there is a real name for this phenomenon, but I have forgotten it if ever I learned it.

The question interested me, so I did a quick research, and found that : "The effect of left-right reversal on film: Watching Kurosawa reversed" in the journal i-perception (I can't put the adress here, seems to cause my message to be considered as a spam).

This is a paper published in 2011, as far as I understand, talking about having people looking at mirror-reversed films, and trying to see what happens. I just had a quick glance inside the paper, and if the idea is interesting, the statistics seem to be quite weak (but, well, the idea is interesting - it was probably worth doing it). Nevertheless, the authors do not seem to be aware to the theory you are referring to (the left-to-right vs right-to-left movements), and it actually sounds like more of a legend about psychology of people looking at movies than an actual true phenomenon. Do you think you could try to remember some more information about that to see if we are able to find a more precise description of it ?

And, by the way, I'm not a native English speaker, so maybe my question is silly, but why are papal decrees questions ? Shouldn't they be, well, decrees ?

You are right, but it is more fun this way.

And another:
alemhnan wrote:anybody noticed that the image caption changed? it says ''Run" now!

And yes, we did. (Also, the javascript changed.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:46 am UTC

Sorry about the size of this. There are three parts. I've saved the best for last.

spamjam wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:One thing the fora software doesn't do well is make the signatures easy to skip. So when a siggy is very long it gets in the way, especially when the post it is attached to is very short.

Sure it does. User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Display Options > Display Signatures. Although that's not an *easy* method to toggle signature display, which is maybe what you meant.

Actually, I meant something like showing siggys with a different background color so that you can see them if desired (normally I do), but easily skip over them. The quote text now has a different background. So, something like that.

Scorbut wrote:And, by the way, I'm not a native English speaker, so maybe my question is silly, but why are papal decrees questions ? Shouldn't they be, well, decrees ?

Some people objected to popish decrees and some just ignored them. Over time the popes got more polite and less dictatorial. Now they make mostly suggestions, for the most part. A general recognition that we are pretty much all anarchists here.

And hi on your first post.

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:How come the salty water is flowing back now? There must be some effect we are not considering.

Also, if the salinity of the Mediterranean sea was increased slowly enough it might not effect sealife too much. A higher salinity would mean the return pipe doesn't have to be 1 km deep.

Spoiler:
The water is flowing west because it is heavier than the water there (more dense). So the water in the atlantic tends to float over the denser water (i.e. east) and the denser water tends to sink under the lighter water to its west. In effect, the denser water just flows downhill as it would in air, but not as quickly since it is lighter water and not very much lighter air to the west.

Do you want to bet an ecosystem on your guess about the rate of increase of salinity? Especially if you don't allow for in and outmigration of the wildlife?

Yes, higher salinity would been less depth, but it would have to be a lot to be very significant and then the ecosystem dies.

I see now how the water flows. It's flowing because the height difference now isn't 2 meters. It's a bit less. By definition it's enough less that the backflow works with the 900m height difference there is (that's almost the required 1 km).

I don't understand your 2m reference. The height difference is actually 300m at the sill, not 900.
Neil_Boekend wrote:I wouldn't simply test the higher salinity in the Mediterranean. I'd start with an extensive research into the wildlife and the salinity it can accept without trouble. Then I'd increase the salinity to somewhere below that level. The increased salinity would force the wildlife to accept a higher salinity. Continuing research would indicate an allowed salinity. The salinity must be increased slowly to force the evolution.

I'd increase the salinity by building the dam, with a backflow hole on the bedrock. With the seawater level difference between the Atlantic and the Mediterranean the salinity level can be regulated.

Of course there are some snags.

Actually, I think it is all "snags". You are messing with things poorly understood with vast consequences. Again, hubris. What could possibly go wrong if we just insert a few genes into, say corn? Those genes couldn't possibly transfer to other food crops. (I was about to add "could they", but realized that question wasn't asked.
Neil_Boekend wrote:*Greed may drive the required electrical output up, thus the level difference and thus the salinity. That may kill the project due to mass death in the Mediterranean.
*Century plans are not the forte of political parties that need to produce results before the next election. (Don't get me wrong on that one.)

Again, sorry to be Cassandra, but the world is still only a poorly understood thing, as smart as we think we are. People over the ages have thought so too and introduced pests into different ecosystems with the same reasoning: I can control this. Nothing could possibly go wrong. I understand it thoroughly. Wrong, Wrong, and wrong again.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

*Kat*

Postby *Kat* » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:53 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:Considering the impending disaster and the way they fled from the Château d'If, their exchanges since appear to be a very odd mix of sombre talk and light-hearted banter as though they were on a nice country ramble. They don't appear to be afraid for their own survival or - in what they say, anyway - too worried about the others. This seems odd.

You've never been too busy worrying about others that you forgot to worry about yourself? I have. Plus they are being brave for one another, and that can make one forget to be scared as well.

Finally there is *knowing* that the sea shall consume the river and then there is *believing*. Cuegan *know* they are in trouble, but they don't actually believe it...yet.

Angelastic

Re: Cake Time!

Postby Angelastic » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:53 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Gulf Water Song
an OTTification of Gulf War Song by Moxy Früvous

Spoiler:
We all were told how to escape from the water in the Gulf
But we couldn't save anyone's family
So we tried, then gave up, 'cause the sage was not wrong
But we tried so damn thumb-in-a-damly [or don't-breach/give-a-damly?]
What makes a person so poisonous righteous
That they'd think less of anyone who just disagreed?
They are just scientists, we are just optimists
If we said they were crazy, would they leave us at sea?

Fighters for safe retreat, fighters for racing
Don't tell us we can't fight, just 'cause you know you're right
Your history seems to agree that heroes fight through the sea.

So we ran and we watched as the water lapped at the hills
And we learned so much more from our sortie.
Will we sail? Will we fail? Were the questions unasked.
Will we die for the sake of the forty?
The tsunami of knowledge through which we have been hurled.
Our kind of life makes such ravages unthinkable
We like to build castles, take swims and feed squirrels…

Fighters for prudent plans, fighters for racing
Don't tell us we can't fight just 'cause you know you're right
Your history seems to agree that heroes fight through the sea
That one would fight all for three

We are just simpletons, they are just naysayers.
That's where the beach was, that's where the sea...
And history seems to agree
that heroes fight through the sea
That one would risk all for three

Is that how it always will be?

Awesomeful! I'd never heard of the original, but that was lovely. It's nice to get the occasional non-humorous, more poignant ottification. :)
I would recommend listening to the original; I think you in particular would like the band since you seem to like Da Vinci's Notebook (who opened for Moxy Früvous a couple of times, and who Moxy Früvous said really taught them how to sing) and Jonathan Coulton (who has a similar mix of funny songs, sad songs, and funnysad songs, and half the same opening band, but fewer harmonies.) They're not together any more, but there are a lot of live recordings of them on archive.org, and since breaking up the individual band members have been involved in albums for at least seven different bands.

And while we're talking about music, here's a better view of the Write Like the Wind/George R. R. Martin debacle.

So, how 'bout that OTC, huh? :)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”