1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

JGeezer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby JGeezer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Montov wrote:He is going to taste the water.

Followed by his exclaiming, " Oh my God, It's full of stars!"

Or maybe ,"Mmmmm, chocolate."

Or "I've got a bad feeling about this."
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

Nilpferdschaf wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:THIS IS NOT THE RIVER OF BABYLONG ... AND IT COMES.
Spoiler:

The last few frames they were running on really flat terrain, they're going to get their feet wet pretty soon.

This post is from a couple pages back (a newpic or so after Cuegan were splishing around [M3001]), so I had to comment that they already did get their feet wet.

And THIS IS SUPER PANICKY! They've passed a stream or two and the water is now rising around them and now they're going to cross something even more dangerous to help some people out. Ya'll think it's the 40? This is terrifying, but I can't deny each ONG is going to be exciting todip.

Anywho, molpy up!
Spoiler:

ETA:
Ooh, 1200 mome'd.
Decree: Eat a cupcake and spoiler a picture of it!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Maybe Cueball has found the vortex through to Mars?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

JGeezer wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Montov wrote:He is going to taste the water.

Followed by his exclaiming, " Oh my God, It's full of stars!"

Or maybe ,"Mmmmm, chocolate."

Or "I've got a bad feeling about this."

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."
"So, raise your hand if you thought that was a Russian water tentacle."
"My vheels! My god, I can't move my vheels!"
I'm melting! Melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! "

Hum, no, I've no idea.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

nerdsniped

Huff puff huff

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

I'm getting a very weird feeling from the last few (Outside) days, and the last few newpix in general. For most of its run, the OTC has been almost a parody of slowness ("I waited half an hour for one darkening pixel / and then did it again"). Now suddenly things are happening almost too quickly to keep up -- they found people! Who have been caught by the water! Which keeps moving inland! We'll cross to them! But something's wrong! ...

*stops to catch breath*

I guess this is just what the first part of building to a dramatic climax feels like. But it almost seems like OTCreality is being distorted. I half expect the next panel to show Megan shaking Cueball (for some reason not the other way around) out of a nightmare, they're still exploring and there's no great impending flood after all. (Disclaimer: not an actual prediction.)

---

Back to serious speculation: why are the people they've spotted crossing over the riverbed, instead of heading directly uphill? And, these people they've spotted, are they in fact the 40?!? Shouldn't Cuegan be saying something more about that? "I can't believe we found them", "look they're carrying the [xxx]", "is that everyone?", something...

---

100th post! In honor of which, I've finally added an avatar. Oh, and:

Spoiler:
javascript
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

It does look like he's getting something out of his bag. Is it time for Cueball's dream to come true? "Our rope isn't strong enough." "Hold this or you'll fall."
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:It does look like he's getting something out of his bag. Is it time for Cueball's dream to come true? "Our rope isn't strong enough." "Hold this or you'll fall."

Getting something that ought to float (in the hypersaline sea they're used to), and checking to see whether it does?
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
CasCat wrote:
thegreger wrote:Just convinced a friend of mine to start a fast blitz from page one! He missed out on what has happened so far, and I feel that the thread is the only way to properly understand the vastness of this thing.

You do realize that, assuming your friend is either employed or going to school, that it'll take your friend about two [heresy] weeks [/heresy] to do this, don't you? More, if page traffic stays as high as it's been?

On average, I figured out a Wip ago or so that you need to read approximatly 10 pages a day just to keep up with what is added. You must read more than 10 pages each day to begin to catch up. reading at 20 pages a day it would take more than 100 days to catch up.

When I blitzed, I managed a little over a hundred pages a day. But I didn't get a lot done in the rest of my life... <wry>
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

taixzo

Re: Ketchup #1

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

Hooray, BlitzGirl's back! And Dracomax too! Welcome back!

higgs-boson wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Optional decree: Who can come up with the most optimistic prediction for Cuegan?[/center]

Finding their old habitat already flooded, both Megan and Cueball are initially crestfallen.
They have failed their mission, the hurry, the run. In depression they sit down on a rock, looking at the slowly flowing water.
Then Megan discovers a trail, large enough to be visible even from a hundred meters away.

Did the tribe move? Hope and spirits rise, both Megan and Cueball jump to their feet and follow the trail.

It takes the better part of third day to catch up, it looks like the tribe has begun breaking camp a few days after the start of Megans' and Cueballs' adventures. Happy reunion. They make it to the higher grounds in time, all ends well.

Side plots:
- The bucket was saved and given to Megan.
- The lore masters from Château d'If make contact. Rosetta and Cueball fall in love, do some rituals and the children come after Rosetta (no one's bald).
- Megan goes into lore master scholarship and is taught to become successor of Rosetta, since she has the drive to explore and the will to do what has to be done. The maps, of course, had been returned long, long ago.
- The hill people indeed failed to warn the shore tribe, but only because the tribe had moved; the people meet and make peace; the dislikes' root cause analysed (a grandgrandgrandgrandgrandfather of Cueball kissed a hill people girl long ago, at a time, where this should only happen after a blessing of the girl's mother.
- The hedgemolpy bit in the catmolpy's tail and was carried to safe and higher grounds as well.
- The catmolpy came to visit the lore masters two years after Megan entering the scholarship and actually apologized for being rude.
- With the final dialogue coming in (Cueball and a daughter sitting outside at night, watching the stars): "Daddy, can you tell me your adventures again?" "Well... yes..." a star falls, and thus ends time.

I was just reading Ender's Game. And my brain kept substituting "hedgemolpy" for "Hedgemon".

ETA:
CasCat wrote:When I blitzed, I managed a little over a hundred pages a day. But I didn't get a lot done in the rest of my life... <wry>

Same here; it took me around eight to ten hours a day dedicated to the OTT to read a hundred pages per day.
Last edited by taixzo on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

thegreger wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
CasCat wrote:
thegreger wrote:Just convinced a friend of mine to start a fast blitz from page one! He missed out on what has happened so far, and I feel that the thread is the only way to properly understand the vastness of this thing.

You do realize that, assuming your friend is either employed or going to school, that it'll take your friend about two [heresy] weeks [/heresy] to do this, don't you? More, if page traffic stays as high as it's been?

On average, I figured out a Wip ago or so that you need to read approximatly 10 pages a day just to keep up with what is added. You must read more than 10 pages each day to begin to catch up. reading at 20 pages a day it would take more than 100 days to catch up.

[lazy herecy tag]I think that 10 pages a day is quite a low number, if one is only skimming through it the way one would do with a newspaper. I tried re-reading the first 5 or 10 pages, and I think that an estimate of 30-60 seconds per page is enough to understand what's going on, and understand most details and in-jokes of this thread. In that case, the entire thread would currently take 10-20 hours (slightly more due to the thread growing, but the pace is much lower now than it used to be). Even though you wouldn't catch as much with that reading style as you would by reading it carefully, I think that spending two hours every evening for the next five or ten days is by far a better way of gaining an appreciation of the OTC and the OTT than simply watching a full gif as a movie being played out.[/lazy herecy tag]

Edit: Sincerely hope that no-one caught the spelling error I just corrected...

Not sure about the rate slowing down. for the last 25 newpages the average post rate is 17.66 posts per longpic. (1 post per 0.0566 longpic). Over the whole thread. 16.60 posts per longpic (1 post per 0.0602 longpic). So it's faster by over 1 post per longpic than the average over the last 2 and a half dips.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:It does look like he's getting something out of his bag. Is it time for Cueball's dream to come true? "Our rope isn't strong enough." "Hold this or you'll fall."

I wondered that too. Which made me start wondering about all kinds of theories along the lines of time running backwards in the OTC and us actually watching it in reverse from the end... (as in Time's Arrow (or so I understand).
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

sford

Postby sford » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

Interesting. My first "cute" molpy gets more commentary than all my icky molpies put together. :-) Guess I know what people like.

Icky Molpy UP
Spoiler:
Like hermit crabs, juvenile coconut crabs use empty gastropod shells for protection, but the adults develop a tough exoskeleton on their abdomen and stop carrying a shell.

Cute Molpy UP
Spoiler:
One must be careful when handling groups of puppies as they may cause spontaneous outbursts of sentimentality. Jaded safety glasses recommended.

Cueball isn't deep enough to notice the difference in buoyancy, I wouldn't think.

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

Maybe he's crouching down to try and lie back and float?

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

HANGING ONG...

Dumb way to die?

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

I thought he’d be OK, I was wrONG
Spoiler:

Ninja'd

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote: OTVO Voting Time!
Vote for your favorite Cuegen Combination.
Results will be posted Here

C5M3
It's about time.

thegreger

Postby thegreger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Dumb way to die?

Heh, great. Now I had to re-watch that whole clip, just as it was getting unstuck in my head...
Last edited by thegreger on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote: OTVO Voting Time!

I definitely think we should adopt a Condorcet method for this. Maybe the Schulze one (it's the one Debian use). That's great to find a consensus when you have a lot of choices, while allowing voters to give their opinion about more than one choice.

OTTers would vote by ordering the choices. You can give two choices the same place if you don't have a preference between the two.
So you'd come up with something like "C6M2 > C6M1 > C5M2 = C5M3 = C5M4 > C7M8 > every other choice".

I made a script to compute the results from that format a while ago.

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, xuys! :) Nice to see y'all again!

[center]Interesting. This reminds me of something I learned in one of my classes, though I can't for the life of me remember which class, or even what yip I learned it. In cultures that read left-to-right, there is a tendency to give objects traveling left-to-right across a field of view more positive associations: moving forward, progressing, heading the correct way. Objects moving right-to-left, or against-the-grain, are more apt to be viewed with suspicion or a sense of wrongness.

Filmmakers sometimes take advantage of this bias in the movement of characters and play that off of the plot. Heroes will more often enter from the left side of the frame and move right. A character that travels right-to-left across the frame, with the against-the-grain eeriness, creates a subconscious tension in the minds of the viewing audience.

I heard about this theory while reading the French Wikipedia article about this famous Hokusai print:

It said occidental people tend to think the boats are running away from the wave, while the ones reading right-to-left think they're actually sailing towards it. Hokusai obviously meant the latter, to give more strength to his art.
Last edited by Pikrass on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Rip current?
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Ashaman

Postby Ashaman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

If they are standing on a bed of salt with a sandy crust, it's possible the water has cut tunnels into the ground, beneath the crust, and Cueball just fell through.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

For the moment I am staying with my Kaiju theory.

ETA: Hi Blitzers. Keep up the good work and have fun!
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

(Blindpost)
OMR!!1!
(Back to ketchup mode)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

I guess it's Ockham. The water washed out some stones which are now not safe to stand on anymore.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

sford wrote:
Cute Molpy UP
Spoiler:
One must be careful when handling groups of puppies as they may cause spontaneous outbursts of sentimentality. Jaded safety glasses recommended.

Aww what a cute 7 headed molpy

And it appears Cueball is about to be dragged underwater by some resurrected sea monster that was hiding in the salt dunes waiting for the water to bring it back to life.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

Rand-damnit Cueball! I implored you to be careful! :x

I quite startled while scrolling through the OTT and came upon the latest np. I am willing to bet that they do not realize they are at the edge of something, perhaps a riverbank or cliff? They should have used some rope!

ETA @CasCat I think we are assuming that the water is only rushing in, and not back out. So I would not expect a rip current. However, if the inflow of water is not steady, but coming in bursts, then a rip current may be possible if the level of the sea is able to recede periodically. But I do not think so.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Well I have been down since Thursday but I just caught back up on everything that has happened since then. :shock:

It's insane to pick up on OTC in chunks like this ... and now it is driving me mad to have to wait again.

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

His knees are still sticking out of the water though, so I don't think he's fallen down a hole or anything. I still reckon he was trying to float on his back, and is surprised at how little the water supports him now.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

This is a NP I just need to be on!
Now back to NP805 or so...
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Rand-damnit Cueball! I implored you to be careful! :x

I quite startled while scrolling through the OTT and came upon the latest np. I am willing to bet that they do not realize they are at the edge of something, perhaps a riverbank or cliff? They should have used some rope!

ETA @CasCat I think we are assuming that the water is only rushing in, and not back out. So I would not expect a rip current. However, if the inflow of water is not steady, but coming in bursts, then a rip current may be possible if the level of the sea is able to recede periodically. But I do not think so.

Cueball fell into the hole where What-if#55 should have been for hours by now. :-(

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:And THIS IS SUPER PANICKY! They've passed a stream or two and the water is now rising around them and now they're going to cross something even more dangerous to help some people out. Ya'll think it's the 40? This is terrifying, but I can't deny each ONG is going to be exciting todip.

They're crossing what they think are fingers of water reaching inland along dry stream beds, more or less parallel to one another. So they don't expect to have to cross back to escape, but instead, head directly inland from where they are when they meet up.

That will work okay if the fingers really are separate. But imagine if they're actually in a dried up river delta -- the fingers could easily connect together behind them.

Speaking of panicky -- WHAT?? Gibraltar-leaping shark? (Many attacks take place in shallow water!) Hill People anti-Cueganite leg trap concealed by the water? Stronger current? Poor balance?

In any case, he's likely to discover the reduced buoyancy now. Will he lose another dilgunnerang? Will he drown trying to keep his pack dry? And...
Spoiler:
what about Naomi? (More proof the OTT is cyclical.)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

mindonner wrote:His knees are still sticking out of the water though, so I don't think he's fallen down a hole or anything. I still reckon he was trying to float on his back, and is surprised at how little the water supports him now.

Yeah definitely, bear in mind that they're used to the high salinity of an evaporated Mediterranean. The dead sea is 8.6 times as salty as the Atlantic. And this hyper-saline Mediterranean may be approaching 12 times as salty (similar to the Juan Pond). With that much salt you float with uncomfortable ease, you don't have to spread out and try like you do on ocean water.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

Get up, Cueball! This is no time to be laying around... YOU HAVE PEOPLE TO SAVE, INCLUDING YOURSELF!

Srsly hope he's OK.

For Decree:
Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

And in all the excitement, congratulations to Valarya on becoming centipope the 12th!
Spoiler:
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Kurt1190

Postby Kurt1190 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

I think he's going to get more than just a little taste of the water.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Cueball fell into the hole where What-if#55 should have been for hours by now. :-(

No he didn't.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Cueball fell into the hole where What-if#55 should have been for hours by now. :-(

Woah, I didn't know I am that good. The dead link wasn't dead for very long... I should have made this posting 6 hours earlier.

Random Sneeze Call. If everything is connected, Cueball will get a cold.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

alemhnan wrote:anybody noticed that the image caption changed? it says ''Run" now!

Yes, that's because there's Javascript on the page. Did you notice?

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

*Kat*

Postby *Kat* » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

I think he [Cueball]'s about to pull out a massive plug that forces the water to go down....

Before you scoff, keep in mind this is a world where trees trunks make right angles....
Last edited by *Kat* on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

The consensus at the time was that Cueball's dream was about his appearance at the What If #44 (the fourth picture), which appeared at the time he was heaving his dream.

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

This may already be obvious to everyone else...but if my math is correct, at the end of this NP, the OTC with slightly over 3000 panels will have generated 48,000 posts (and climbing!) in the OTT.

Wow.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”