1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cryptoengineer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cryptoengineer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Nilpferdschaf wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
shurikt wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
Valarya wrote:But what are they calling fresh here? Is salty fresher than their previous sea but not as fresh as a river? :shock:

That's the conclusion I would come to.

Really?! I know we all love our prior conclusions (there's a name for that, right?), but I think that since they're used to river water as "fresh," they wouldn't necessarily call seawater "fresh," too.

It's a matter of degree, You don't notice salinity at first, the water you drink and call fresh has a 200mg/L salt in it. If you lived by water that had over 40000mg/l salt in it how much would you notice?

200mg/m3 and 40000mg/m3. 40kg of salt per liter is a bit much, even for the dead sea :wink:

Check your (and Spacklick's) units. 40,000 mg/l = 40g/l. Seawater is 35g/l The Dead Sea is 276 g/l, with a density of 1.24 Seawater is about 1.02.

There are, even today, pockets of dense hypersaline brine on the floor of the Mediterranean that hold 365 g/l of salts.

EDIT: Oh me yarm, I'm PagePope! I order everyone to do what they would have done anyway....
Last edited by cryptoengineer on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Having been a Lurker since NP1, I've never been one to Ketchup, let alone Blitz...but something (in me?) has changed recently and I find myself Blitzing as fast as I can from NP1173 (this new 'trend' of mine started at about NP1160, I'd guess).

All I can say is that my journey has manifested into a personal promise. Both to myself and to my fellow OTTers. Amongst you, I have been...one of you, I now am.

Blitz...resume!
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:Considering the impending disaster and the way they fled from the Château d'If, their exchanges since appear to be a very odd mix of sombre talk and light-hearted banter as though they were on a nice country ramble. They don't appear to be afraid for their own survival or - in what they say, anyway - too worried about the others. This seems odd.

They seem to be imbued with an innate confidence. It's as if, even though they are aware of the danger and urgency, the prospect of failure is alien to them. I don't know if this is naivety, or that they have lead a life free of existential threat up to now, or something else...

It is their age. When you are in your late teens or early twenties and adventurous, you are immortal. Nothing bad will happen to you. (There is a reason soldiers are this age...)

Spoiler:
Some of the things I did at that age.... :shock: Sends shivers down my spine when I think about them now, how easily it could have all gone wrong, and how permanently dead I would have been.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

sford wrote:Interesting. My first "cute" molpy gets more commentary than all my icky molpies put together. :-) Guess I know what people like.

Icky Molpy UP
Spoiler:

I like your coconut crab molpy very much. Icky things need love, too. I used a bat to molpy down last night.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:
Nilpferdschaf wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
shurikt wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
Valarya wrote:But what are they calling fresh here? Is salty fresher than their previous sea but not as fresh as a river? :shock:

Really?! I know we all love our prior conclusions (there's a name for that, right?), but I think that since they're used to river water as "fresh," they wouldn't necessarily call seawater "fresh," too.

It's a matter of degree, You don't notice salinity at first, the water you drink and call fresh has a 200mg/L salt in it. If you lived by water that had over 40000mg/l salt in it how much would you notice?

200mg/m3 and 40000mg/m3. 40kg of salt per liter is a bit much, even for the dead sea :wink:

Check your (and Spacklick's) units. 40,000 mg/l = 40g/l. Seawater is 35g/l The Dead Sea is 276 g/l, with a density of 1.24 Seawater is about 1.02.

There are, even today, pockets of dense hypersaline brine on the floor of the Mediterranean that hold 365 g/l of salts.

Assuming we're talking a straight-up 1:1 electrolyte* such as sodium chloride (FW 58.44 g/mol) that gives us an effective concentration of greater than 6M. That's a lot of salt! Not even completely soluble at standard temperature and pressure.

* obviously sea water isn't just an aqueous solution of NaCl so this is a stupid assumption on my part. Also shouldn't be standard temperature or pressure on the floor of the Mediterranean for that matter. So you can pretty safely categorize my comment as "irrelevant"
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:
chem1190c wrote:Beware the Sea Molpy!
Spoiler:
Wait for it... then Run! Or Swim! if possible :lol:

Don't click on this one:
Spoiler:
beware_the_sea_molpy.gif

They'll be protected by the bag. It is THAT good - keeps out water and repels Sea Molpies.

It's a well known fact that Sea Molpies hate bags, especially water proof bags. :lol:
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:There are, even today, pockets of dense hypersaline brine on the floor of the Mediterranean that hold 365 g/l of salts.

That is sooo cool. I doubt it they could be remnants of the ancient sea millions of years later. My guess would be that it is some of the salt deposits dissolving.

Spoiler:
The total salt deposited during the Messinian Salinity Crisis is 50 times the amount of salt contained in the Med. So there must have been many cycles of filling and drying before the the Med finally filled for good.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote: OTVO Voting Time!
Vote for your favorite Cuegen Combination.
Results will be posted Here

Edit: Ooops, I mixed up the files when I listened to them, sorry! I do agree that C6M3 is great though.
Last edited by jovialbard on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

chem1190c wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:
Nilpferdschaf wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
shurikt wrote:
jovialbard wrote:

Assuming we're talking a straight-up 1:1 electrolyte* such as sodium chloride (FW 58.44 g/mol) that gives us an effective concentration of greater than 6M. That's a lot of salt! Not even completely soluble at standard temperature and pressure.

* obviously sea water isn't just an aqueous solution of NaCl so this is a stupid assumption.

Check the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Atalante_basin and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_juan_pond (sorry if I messed up the linking). Or course, neither is at standard temperature AND pressure.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

M3 definitely!! No question. And C9 works the best. don't like the background static, but that can be cleaned up.

And can I say, Whoa! what an exciting time!

Spoiler:
To vote just quote the first few lines and state the combination you like best
This time we have them all combined into pairs and currently have 10 versions you can listen to.
They are in video form and have the OTC frames sequenced in as well so you get to see how the voices fit with it.
Also to refresh your memory here is the results from last round of voteing

C1M2 C1M3
C5M2 C5M3
C6M2 C6M3
C8M2 C8M3
C9M2 C9M3

All

This last link allows you to view them all by going left/right at the bottom. Note the file name is in the bottom left corner.

Thanks

Also It's not too late if you want to add your voice to the mix. Just go here and submit your version.
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

Hey, my first firstpost pickup of the day. :P
breakfast2 wrote:After many a moon keeping one eye on the OTT and OTC, I've decided to delurk after this most recent scare over the End Of Time (eye of the tiger?). I wouldn't want have watched Time pass me by!

I'll take a gander at the auditions when I get a chance.

Also I'm still holding out hope for telepathy.

Welcome to the OTT, breakfast2! I know what you mean about finally de-lurking, I think it took me 2 or 3 scares...
The way Randall portrays Rosetta communicating would work really well for telepathy, you're right! I don't think we're going to get it though, because although we've speculated plenty, we haven't seen anything that's not real-world possible.
(Hmm. The scaffolding being linear rather than square still bothers me a lot, how could it be stable enough to hold all that sand without cement footings? Looking at it again in the Book of Aubron, I suppose it could be rhomboidal,* but why do that?)

*‘...it could be rhomboidal...’ :shock: Wouldn't that make GLR a cannibal?! Or, no, he's not an OTTer, so... What do you call someone who utilizes/consumes someone/something that they enabled/encouraged the existence of in the first place?
Oh. That would be parent/farmer, wouldn't it? :oops: (The GLR is an OTTer farmer4! Or perhaps Zookeeper would be more appropriate. :P )

ETA Did it again, forgot to say what newpage breakfast2 firstposted on: 1142
Last edited by BlueCrab on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

Although I am partial to either of the C8 combinations, I think I'll go for C6M2.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

I just wanted to add that it's fun to open up several and play them all at once, echo echo echo
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Struggl-ONG!

Don't drop that bag.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:They'll be protected by the bag. It is THAT good - keeps out water.

And if not, just apply a can of grease to it.

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Damn meetings. I am glad to see that Cuegan are not in immediate danger. Good call to all the OTTers that predicted his surprise at the decreased salinity and buoyancy of the water. OK, so someone with more brains than I, figure out what the salinity of the new Mediterranean would be if we had Dead Sea like salinity (or greater) suddenly mixing with copious volumes of Atlantic Ocean like salinity.

A simple upper estimate would be twice the salinity of the Atlantic. If one started with normal seawater, evaporated most of the water but still have all of the salt in solution, you would have a Med's worth of salt. Then add the Atlantic back in and you'd have twice the salinity.

In reality, I think it would be less than that. We are speculating that some of the salt has been deposited as salt beds, and those aren't going to dissolve back into solution immediately. Also, the sea water would like float on top of the hyper-saline water. So they are likely to experience regular old seawater...

HES

Apparently beanies make good bags too

Postby HES » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:It does look like he's getting something out of his bag. Is it time for Cueball's dream to come true? "Our rope isn't strong enough." "Hold this or you'll fall."

There has to be some significance to that dream, but I think GLR will keep teasing it and the actual rope incident will be held for the end ... and thus ends time

jovialbard wrote:Although I do think we should welcome newcomers from now on with a link to the wiki, might be helpful. And it also might make sense to include a "list of sensitive subjects" on the front page of the time wiki, you know like "the javascirpt" and "redundant spoilers" and so forth :) thoughts on that?

Nice idea, best presented as an FAQ

chem1190c wrote:Don't click on this one:

Well now I can't not click on it
He/Him/His Image

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:Image
Stay on target...
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

odaiwai

Postby odaiwai » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:Struggl-ONG!

Spoiler:

I have been told, by people who experienced the 2004 Tsunami off Thailand, is that even though a wave is only a foot high, the relentless directional movement can totally throw you off balance. You expect a wave to be a few seconds of force in one direction, then the other. Easy to maintain your balance. But a sustained vector of force for minutes at a time will just throw you down like a water cannon.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:FordONG

Spoiler:

Does anyone have any ideas what the bag might be made out of? What waterproof materials are they likely to have?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
pkcommando wrote:They'll be protected by the bag. It is THAT good - keeps out water.

If that bags are some woven material (possibly like canvas) then a wax treatment would keep them water repellent for quite some time. If they are leather, and worn smooth, then same applies.

Goodness Megan, please keep it together. Really, you two.

I am on edge enough as it is with everything going on in the Outside. The last thing I need is to worry about one of Cuegan getting swept away.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Deleted accidental double post - oops..
Last edited by hunjoh on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:I guess that Eva Cassidy's version<3 is (without doubt and with every reason) the most famous.
But I found myself fascinated by the voices of Tedeschi Trucks Band' s cover of Wade in the Water.

Does apply.

Have to admit I pulled up Sweet Honey in the Rock's version to listen to while reading through the next NPs of the OTT. Their sound is pretty powerful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpzEnq14Hs

And for giggles - this from my distant past for my boomer cohort:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1G-TsdNWGg

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

hunjoh wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Damn meetings. I am glad to see that Cuegan are not in immediate danger. Good call to all the OTTers that predicted his surprise at the decreased salinity and buoyancy of the water. OK, so someone with more brains than I, figure out what the salinity of the new Mediterranean would be if we had Dead Sea like salinity (or greater) suddenly mixing with copious volumes of Atlantic Ocean like salinity.

A simple upper estimate would be twice the salinity of the Atlantic. If one started with normal seawater, evaporated most of the water but still have all of the salt in solution, you would have a Med's worth of salt. Then add the Atlantic back in and you'd have twice the salinity.

In reality, I think it would be less than that. We are speculating that some of the salt has been deposited as salt beds, and those aren't going to dissolve back into solution immediately. Also, the sea water would like float on top of the hyper-saline water. So they are likely to experience regular old seawater...

Actually, it should be, at equilibrium, more saline than it is now (IRL) and the current Med is more saline than the Atlantic. But it depends quite a lot on how "frisky" the inflow is. If it tears up the salt deposits there and causes a lot of mixing, then we would expect a lot of it dissolving. If it is gentle, then not so much. But it is likely to be chaotic. Expect the force of the water to go down to bedrock in many places.

And it isn't just the salinity of their sea. It is the wide extent of the salt beds.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

*Blindpost from NP 1198*
alemhnan wrote:anybody noticed that the image caption changed? it says ''Run" now!

I think this is going to be our new 'javascript'. I wonder how many similar questions I'll run across yet until I finally ketchup.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

BigDaddy

Postby BigDaddy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

The thread is moving so fast these days. Before they reach the 40 my little prediction. La Petite gave them some advanced warning since she was playing at the sandcastle when the sea started to rise.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Does anyone have any ideas what the bag might be made out of? What waterproof materials are they likely to have?

k.bookbinder wrote:If that bags are some woven material (possibly like canvas) then a wax treatment would keep them water repellent for quite some time. If they are leather, and worn smooth, then same applies.

The material is simple enough, but I'm curious what they use to seal the bag closed.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

prof. dr. charlie_grumbles, on NP double-lost, wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:BTW, can you please declare that pizza > cake? :D
--snip seaish slice--

-- snip disclaimer about pizza and pizza --
But yes, some pizza > some cake.
∃ pizza ∧ ∃ cake s.t. pizza > cake.

That's trivial. But does ∃ pizza s.t. ∀ cake pizza > cake? Or is it the case that ∀ pizza ∃ cake s.t. cake>=pizza? Hmm? And what if pizza or cake happen to be still in the oven at the time? These things are not to be taken lightly. Raptorsharks may lurk there.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Mikeski wrote:

If that bags are some woven material (possibly like canvas) then a wax treatment would keep them water repellent for quite some time. If they are leather, and worn smooth, then same applies.

Goodness Megan, please keep it together. Really, you two.

I am on edge enough as it is with everything going on in the Outside. The last thing I need is to worry about one of Cuegan getting swept away.

I think leather is unlikely - there don't seem to be any large molpies down near the (current) sea level; they'd have to go all the way up the mountain to hunt one down. And moolpies are out of the question, unless there is grass they can eat that grows on salt flats.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:I think leather is unlikely - there don't seem to be any large molpies down near the (current) sea level; they'd have to go all the way up the mountain to hunt one down. And moolpies are out of the question, unless there is grass they can eat that grows on salt flats.

Cuegan's people don't make their own stuff. They get their stuff in two ways:

A) They grab whatever floats down the river from the hill people
B) They are thought to be salt miners who barter for other goods

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

BigDaddy wrote:The thread is moving so fast these days. Before they reach the 40 my little prediction. La Petite gave them some advanced warning since she was playing at the sandcastle when the sea started to rise.

Hmm. What if LaPetite strolled off without anybody noticing (and when the tents got wet there was no more time to look for her, maybe they assumed she was with Cuegan?) and is still at the former saltcastle, clinging to a plank with the last of her strength? A dramatic rescue mission ensues...
Go Minim go!

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

SBN, in his location, wrote:Currently lurking so as not to delay blitzers.

Thank you!

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Megan's bag may well be the one they borrowed from the Beanies, anyway. And for all we know could be a Holy Plastic Relic from the Dawn Time, complete with ziplock.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Does anyone have any ideas what the bag might be made out of? What waterproof materials are they likely to have?

It's possible that the "good bag" that Megan has is actually the one given to Cuegan by the Beanies, so the material would not be limited to what Cuegan would usually find down in the basin. It may be better than Megan's original bag (now carried by Cueball) - more waterproof, perhaps.

Edit: ninja'd!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

tavella

Postby tavella » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

That ... sounds like a prefix for Megan losing her footing. The one good thing is that the current will sweep her and the bag towards shallower waters, rather than suck her out deeper, so she should be able to recover her footing. Hopefully she won't lose the bag with the maps, though.

jowo

Postby jowo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

cameroda regarding Wade in the Water wrote:Have to admit I pulled up Sweet Honey in the Rock's version to listen to while reading through the next NPs of the OTT. Their sound is pretty powerful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpzEnq14Hs

As did I. And Eva's. And IIIrd Tyme Out's.

ETA: cameroda, that vid's terrific! Thanks for the link.
Last edited by jowo on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
It's about Time....

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

!!!ONG
Go Minim go!

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:TastONG again. Lol... Cueball

"The other sea is fresh water"

Well, next to theirs, it might as well be.

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
hunjoh wrote:A simple upper estimate would be twice the salinity of the Atlantic. If one started with normal seawater, evaporated most of the water but still have all of the salt in solution, you would have a Med's worth of salt. Then add the Atlantic back in and you'd have twice the salinity.

Actually, it should be, at equilibrium, more saline than it is now (IRL) and the current Med is more saline than the Atlantic. But it depends quite a lot on how "frisky" the inflow is. If it tears up the salt deposits there and causes a lot of mixing, then we would expect a lot of it dissolving. If it is gentle, then not so much. But it is likely to be chaotic. Expect the force of the water to go down to bedrock in many places.

And it isn't just the salinity of their sea. It is the wide extent of the salt beds.
We know the answer at equilibrium, the salinity of the Med today. :D

But what are Cuegan experiencing as they wade across? I'd guess it is just Atlantic sea water that has floated over all of that brine. We know that Cuegan have just described it as "...Fresh! Not as fresh as a river, but too fresh to float on-" So short of them pulling out a hydrometer/salinometer and reading us the results, I think normal seawater is a good estimate. :)

Spoiler:
The water rushing in is going to tear up the seabed up by Gibraltar, above the levels of the salt pans. I believe that I read that the sediment from that "incision" event settled over the salt, effectively sealing it in. In any event we know that the salt from the Messinian Salinity Crisis is still at the bottom of the Med. It never dissolved back into the water. So I don't see that happening this time either.

Here is a question that I have been wondering about. The salt deposit at the bottom of the Med is 50 times the amount of salt in waters of the Mediterranean. If that salt never got trapped, how much saltier would the oceans of the world be?

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Is that surprise, joy, or ... anger?

Maybe the 40 got warning somehow (LaPetite) and started to evacuate, but are now feeling like they're stuck there because they didn't know where Cuegan ran off to and had been waiting for them to return.

Edit: They made it w/o losing the Good Bag, yay! My (unposted) prediction was wrong. Woo-hoo! :)
Last edited by pkcommando on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”