1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hunjoh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

hunjoh wrote:"He..." is now "She..."

The image has updated 3 or 4 times in the last 10 minutes or so. I just noticed that "He" has changed to "She".
Has anybody else notice any other changes?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

Assuming everybody doesn't just drown, or the Beanie Fleet doesn't just show up to rescue everyone, we've still got plenty of plot material to resolve. They've got to find all of their tribe, then make their entire way out of the basin (which I suppose the return of Cuegan showed can be covered pretty quickly), and once they're safely ahead of the floodwaters they've got to go somewhere, likely back to the castle and beanies because where the hell else are you going to go when your entire world was just destroyed than the home of the only other people you know.

Then there are further potential complications with the sea possibly overflowing its familiar boundaries before settling down to its final (near-present) level. They may arrive at the castle and find it abandoned, and have to head further inland to find them; or find the Beanies all loaded up into boats waiting to ride out the floodwaters before returning to their castle. Either way there's another adventure to happen there.

Even once the flood is over and the sea has settled down, we need some kind of denouement showing the survivors settling down somewhere new.

One way or another I don't see Time ending in the next week.

ETA: Hey, I'm a pope apparently? And I get to make some kind of decree? Awesome, I've always wanted to do this: I hereby dissolve the religion (whichever it is I'm pope of, I guess) and mandate the adoption of critical rationalism among the former congregation.

EDIT: Typo.
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:33 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

hunjoh wrote:

The image has updated 3 or 4 times in the last 10 minutes or so. I just noticed that "He" has changed to "She".

GLR must have a spy in here...
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:Plot wise the OTC seems to be approaching a climax, and I would be for the first time I would be inclined to think that we have a maximum of about a week's worth of newpix left.

However, the Beanish throw a spanner into those works. I can't imagine the OTC would end without us learning more about them, and getting enough of the language for at least a rudimentary translation. A week is not enough. I'm intrigued as to where things will go from here.

Agreed, the current pace can't last. Maybe we'll get a cooldown period afterwards, like the last chunk of the Return of the King. Reconnecting with Rosetta, finding a new home for the tribe, seeing more of what happened across the basin, learning more about society at large. We can hope.

ETA: mostly-ninjad by Pfhorrest.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

aVivaSedai

Postby aVivaSedai » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

Did you guys notice the roll-over text changed?! (Did I miss someone else's comment on that?)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

hunjoh wrote:

Well, then. Seems like GLR watches over us. And uses us as proofreaders too. Love it.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

hunjoh wrote:

Interesting. In the strip I noticed, Megan said "him" and the other person said "she" and "her" throughout. Which almost had me posting a comment that "cousin" must be gender-neutral in Unglish, and/or Megan simply wasn't paying attention to pronouns....

This has, as you point out, since been changed to female pronouns throughout.

Edit to add: Good luck with that, Pfhorrest; the papacy/momacy (I use "pope" for both genders, myself) has been dissolved several times, but it keeps coming back....
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: BlitzGirl the First Returneth

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
I'm back!
Hello again, everybody! ImageNice to see most of y'all are still here, though perhaps scattered through Time a bit.
(snip a lot)

As for me, I'm just going to ride the crazywave for as long as I can, perhaps until the end of Time...or even beyond that.
After all, the future's pretty cool! Race you there!
Found this during ketchup. It is beautiful. A work of art. Thank you and welcome back.

Thanks! It's good to be back!
That's a very RELATED song, jjjdavidson, I must say!
Also good to see that GLR is watching over us (or over the OTC, anyway). :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

hunjoh wrote:

Good catch, hunjoh!
See here for the original and new version, and the difference. It's only that one word – and the rest of the sentence had to be shifted, obviously.
(No other recent frames have been demustarded.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eliram wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
I'm back!
Hello again, everybody! ImageNice to see most of y'all are still here, though perhaps scattered through Time a bit.
(snip a lot)

As for me, I'm just going to ride the crazywave for as long as I can, perhaps until the end of Time...or even beyond that.
Found this during ketchup. It is beautiful. A work of art. Thank you and welcome back.

Makes me wonder if GLR thinks of the kid in the beret as male, but our overwhelming identification of LaPetite (where did that name come from, anyway, she asks ignorantly) as female made him change his mind.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Assuming everybody doesn't just drown, or the Beanie Fleet doesn't just show up to rescue everyone, we've still got plenty of plot material to resolve.
Spoiler:
They've got to find all of their tribe, then make their entire way out of the basin (which I suppose the return of Cuegan showed can be covered pretty quickly), and once they're safely ahead of the floodwaters they've got to go somewhere, likely back to the castle and beanies because where the hell else are you going to go when your entire world was just destroyed than the home of the only other people you know.

Then there are further potential complications with the sea possibly overflowing its familiar boundaries before settling down to its final (near-present) level. They may arrive at the castle and find it abandoned, and have to head further inland to find them; or find the Beanies all loaded up into boats waiting to ride out the floodwaters before returning to their castle. Either way there's another adventure to happen there.

Even once the flood is over and the sea has settled down, we need some kind of denouement showing the survivors settling down somewhere new.

ETA: Hey, I'm a pope apparently? And I get to make some kind of decree? Awesome, I've always wanted to do this: I hereby dissolve the religion (whichever it is I'm pope of, I guess) and mandate the adoption of critical rationalism among the former congregation.

There is no beanie fleet. They have been living on what is effectively a mountain top. They have no need of boats and no way to build them. 500-1000 years earlier they might have been sailors, I guess.

There are likely no rafts either. The folks at the bottom of the well live in a saline desert. There are no fish in their sea. Their rivers are falling down hill for the most part from the continent above. Small fishing boats meant for local use on the river are about the only possibility. But their river is described as intermittent, if I remember correctly.
-- Charlie Grumbles

jeffallen55

Postby jeffallen55 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

Blindposting from NP 1200:

No! Cueball! It's quicksemencoffeecancerbabiesonice!

edfel

Postby edfel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Riverish map update!

There's a much bigger update to come, where I'll try to shift lines around to overlay the Beanies'map. For now I've kept the old setting for simplicity, and I've only quickly estimated the distances. The new map should get an actual scale, in kilometers (this measure is probably no longer heretical, yeah! (and sadly there's no time now in the OTT for good ol' chocolate-and-comfy-chair punishments)). However, y'all'll have to runwait for it, since I'll be traveling in the coming weeks, and I really don't know how much free time I'll have to do this.

On the astronomy front, has anyone had time to look more into this date business?
In the 13291 hypothesis, my calculated longitudes do not match the Med. sea. Two possibilities: either 13291 is not the right year, or I mixed up my pixel alignments at some point. So, to check this up, one would need to feed the guessed date and the known location in Stellarium, and see if Venus aligns properly at that time after sunset. If it aligns precisely enough with the frames, then we might have the right date, otherwise we need to find the actual date. The sun constrains the date to be early april (so one can skip dates by 1-year steps), Venus appears at that position every 8 years (hence 8-years steps), and Jupiter and the moon should allow to skim out most of the candidate matches in the 12000-14000 range calculated before.

Beside all this (obligatory :D ), my prediction:
The small group go up the hill to find the scavengers, they build a raft with which they rescue their last 12 people adrift on logs and stuff (at some point we'll get the story of LaPetite in a flashback). They then try to get to earth northwards with the beanies, but the water is too dangerous then. The beanies spot them, try to rescue them but fail (the rope is too short!). Yet the Beanies manage to send them food and water to last until the second mediterranean basin starts to fill up and the first basin is calm enough to get out of the rafts and move up to higher grounds. Since they'll become paranoid about the sea, they'll climb high up in the alps and open a ski resort.

And some ketchup-flavored remarks:
- about the physical conditions of Cuegan: most species can evolve fast enough under hard selection stress. Humans are certainly similar, so we can guess that the times are such that the humans living on earth now (er, I mean, "then") might be able to resist tougher conditions than most of us.
- I loved the sand+salt cooking recipe :)
- I like the idea that Antares blowing up erased all electronic devices from Earth. We should be watchfull for clues that the magnetic field or I-don't-know-what is gone amiss on Earth.
- the Beanies wear beanies in Marseille in mid-spring. I think the climate [current climate, minus the med sea] is too warm for this. So there must be some "global cooling" going on at some point.

Anyway, I'm off to molpy down and prepare my own trip, see y'all later, keep the wiki to date, and don't break dams :D :wink:

Edit! Forgot to answer to this:
marchlight wrote:For all the people wondering about the baobabs, I made a quick manip of edfel's map showing where they might have turned. If the dunes extend further West than originally drawn, then could easily have turned South soon after the wowterfall and been in to the dunes before passing the Wow Forest. Red arrow shows their new path home.

Spoilered for seaishness:
Spoiler:
ETA: btw, edfel is super crazy amazing for all the work on this map, as well as how accurate it's turned out to be.

thanks for doing this, and for the praise:) I've seen this after updating the map, but I think both match pretty well :)
The "bigger than thhey looked dunes" were indeed... bigger than they looked :D
Last edited by edfel on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:55 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:Makes me wonder if GLR thinks of the kid in the beret as male, but our overwhelming identification of LaPetite (where did that name come from, anyway, she asks ignorantly) as female made him change his mind.

Latent22 was the one who originally named her in this post, and there is discussion throughout those newpages.

I think it was the hair that made the OTTers presuppose she was female:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

Another thing I was wondering about...

While we've got millions of gallons of seawater languidly strolling down a steep slope at a leisurely 40 miles per hour, lightly caressing the rocks with their gentle ripples...

What about the weather effects of the inrushing water vapor? Clouds? Rain?
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Eliram wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
I'm back!
(snip a lot)

Makes me wonder if GLR thinks of the kid in the beret as male, but our overwhelming identification of LaPetite (where did that name come from, anyway, she asks ignorantly) as female made him change his mind.

I think you might be right. And it saved us some posts with "whoa, le petit is a dude?"
GLR is doing some amazing work here. Astonishing.
It's about time.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Assuming everybody doesn't just drown, or the Beanie Fleet doesn't just show up to rescue everyone, we've still got plenty of plot material to resolve.
Spoiler:
They've got to find all of their tribe, then make their entire way out of the basin (which I suppose the return of Cuegan showed can be covered pretty quickly), and once they're safely ahead of the floodwaters they've got to go somewhere, likely back to the castle and beanies because where the hell else are you going to go when your entire world was just destroyed than the home of the only other people you know.

There is no beanie fleet. They have been living on what is effectively a mountain top. They have no need of boats and no way to build them. 500-1000 years earlier they might have been sailors, I guess.

There are likely no rafts either. The folks at the bottom of the well live in a saline desert. There are no fish in their sea. Their rivers are falling down hill for the most part from the continent above. Small fishing boats meant for local use on the river are about the only possibility. But their river is described as intermittent, if I remember correctly.

My fault I guess.. the 'Royal Beanish Navy' was in fact entirely Non-Canon. :wink:
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

suzi

Postby suzi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

chem1190c wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Assuming everybody doesn't just drown, or the Beanie Fleet doesn't just show up to rescue everyone, we've still got plenty of plot material to resolve. [spoiler]They've got to find all of their tribe, then make their entire way out of the basin (which I suppose the return of Cuegan showed can be covered pretty quickly), and once they're safely ahead of the floodwaters they've got to go somewhere, likely back to the castle and beanies because where the hell else are you going to go when your entire world was just destroyed than the home of the only other people you know.

My fault I guess.. the 'Royal Beanish Navy' was in fact entirely Non-Canon. :wink:

Non-Cannon as well :wink:

dm214

Postby dm214 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

Less subjects/newpage than in the day's first 6 hours.
So, is anyone willing to help me with the blog? Someone could cover the Saturday-Tuesday period, while I write the previous week's post.

mscha wrote:
Random832 wrote:I have a general question about the three viewers:

http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/2842, for example, says:
Geekwagon: frame 2847
Book of Aubron: frame 2850
Spoiler:
Does that mean that there are at least five frames on Geekwagon, and three more on Aubron, that are not on mscha's viewer? I'm confused why the maintainers of these viewers allowed this situation to persist in the early days, if so.

The differences are:
Spoiler:
  1. Apocryphal frames. Something went wrong, way back, and two separate series of images were released every newpix. The GLR later fixed this by making the images for both series identical, but you can see the original ones in my viewer. The canonical listing (i.e. mine) lists those as 256a, 257a and 258a; Aubron has them as 256, 257 and 258, and continues with 259, 260, 261 (which are identical to its 256, 257, 258) where the canonical listing has 256, 257, 258; and Geekwagon doesn't have them at all.
  2. Meteor frames. These 5 frames appeared, between (canonical) frames 2440 and 2441, in short succession. Since they arrived outside of the regular schedule, the canonical list numbers them 2440a-2440e. (This way, you can still relatively simply convert an Outside timestamp to a newpix number.) Both Aubron and Geekwagon just numbered those through, 2444-2448 and 2441-2445.

Is this relevant?
Xenocat wrote:The last frame that Geekwagon has correct is G2964 = M2959. It then skips ahead to G2965 = M2967. Then G2966 and G2967 are identical to each other and = M2968.

Earthling on Mars wrote:2. I was sad to see Aluisio go, but I have a feeling he's still around, with a different account, and I think I know which one. :wink:

Maybe he was scared. You'd better not scare him off again.

mscha wrote:I ran my re-download-and-compare-all-frames-of-Time script overnix, and it found 13 frames that had been changed. However, in all these cases, the images are pixel-for-pixel identical to the original version, so any changes are in the metadata

For 2842, the original looks brighter on Chrome.

mscha wrote:@dm214: welcome to the OTT. However, I'm pretty sure you're a reincarnation of a well-known recently-departed OTTer; I'm surprised that nonody seems to have noticed yet.

Glad you noticed. Apparently the mods got angry and deleted my old “nonody” account.

Oh, I almost forgot some cakes:
Spoiler:
higgs-boson

Zorin_75: I ran out of ideas.

NetWeasel: @Google Images: what do you mean there's no such thing as a captcha cake?
Oh well, this is the best I've found:

nerdsniped: don't ask.
I read, I summarize, I bring cakes. I likely won't answer if you call.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

suzi wrote:
chem1190c wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Assuming everybody doesn't just drown, or the Beanie Fleet doesn't just show up to rescue everyone, we've still got plenty of plot material to resolve. [spoiler]They've got to find all of their tribe, then make their entire way out of the basin (which I suppose the return of Cuegan showed can be covered pretty quickly), and once they're safely ahead of the floodwaters they've got to go somewhere, likely back to the castle and beanies because where the hell else are you going to go when your entire world was just destroyed than the home of the only other people you know.

Non-Cannon as well :wink:

No I'm pretty sure they had cannons. Wouldn't be much of a navy otherwise, now would it :lol:
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:55 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Riverish map update!

⁷some!
(But it'd be even ⁷somer if it didn't refer to a heretical frame number. (Geekwagon 3024 is canonical 3019.))
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

lgw

Postby lgw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

GLR does seem to use hair as the one sex characteristic of stick figures - it's hard to draw stick-Y-chromosomes at this resolution I guess.

I don't think we've seen the wavefront from the berm giving way yet, just the initial slow rise from the leakage. I fear Cueball sees a giant movie-style frothing/breaking tidal wave approaching, and having apparently never seen surf before doesn't know they're all about to die. Thus ends time. Actually, while real tidal waves don't usually do that frothing/breaking thing (having wavelengths so very long that it just looks like the tide coming in, thus the name), they sometime can be very turbulent - there are some quite scary youtube videos that I can't seem to find. If the incoming water is somehow not mixing at all and is instead flowing over the top of the hypersalinated water, I couldn't even guess what it would look like.

Why are there no waves on the Big Sea anyhow? It's been so flat that the 1-pixel wave when the corner of the sandcastle fell in 172-174GW stood out as unusual (and I do think that was the minor quake signaling the start of the flood). You'd think wind action would cause at least wavelets, if not surf.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:00 am UTC

mscha wrote:
edfel wrote:Riverish map update!

⁷some!
(But it'd be even ⁷somer if it didn't refer to a heretical frame number. (Geekwagon 3024 is canonical 3019.))

I know... but the numbering is mentioned, so I guess this makes the map standard-compliant, right? Since I never made up my mind about which numbering was best, and since I'm still using geekwagon to pick up snapshots, I'll stick to this numbering for the [T|t]ime being...
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:03 am UTC

When are we going to find out what Cueball saw on the Sea? I appreciate Megan's proactive attitude, but I do think Cueball's observation was important...

(Heh, I just got the new Michael Emerson avatar. Don't mind me, I'm a little slow. And I still have pastpost responses to get to...)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Assuming everybody doesn't just drown, or the Beanie Fleet doesn't just show up to rescue everyone

That was mostly an inside joke about the earlier theories about sailing down the river (though as I was a proponent of those earlier theories I could see why you might think I was serious, but there were good counterarguments against them), and the awesome animation that was made depicting a departing Beanie fleet.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the Beanies do have some kind of seafaring vessels prepared, for no reason other than that they are currently on what they know is soon to be an island, and they apparently value that location and its contents, so I doubt they're about to either abandon it to inaccessibility across the ocean, or allow themselves to get stranded on an island with no idea how they're ever going to see the mainland again. They must have some way of getting to and from the soon-to-be-an-island prepared, which means some kind of boat.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Time to start run-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:06 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
MajorDouble7 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks for bumping this, Major, I'd missed it. :)

Quite welcome :wink: Even though I'm sure I didn't follow protocol in Bumping a FirstPost. :oops:

As far as I know, we have no specific protocol for that, so you did just fine. :mrgreen: And even if there was a protocol, some of us would follow it, some of us would ignore it, and the rest of us would run around screeching ni ni ni chupamolpy grapevine grapevine or some variant thereof.

Thanks! ...And I figured as much (especially the ni, ni, ni bit), but it's nice to "hear" you say it. :D
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:10 am UTC

Hey one thing for the future 13291 date prediction thing. Would the med drying up change the spinning of the earth? That much extra water moved around the other parts of the world while in the whole earth thing would not have a huge effect but over this long time scale it could have a meaningful effect. In theory the higher water level around most of the world would make the earth spin a little bit slower because of conservation of momentum etc.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:13 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:But I wouldn't be surprised if the Beanies do have some kind of seafaring vessels prepared, for no reason other than that they are currently on what they know is soon to be an island, and they apparently value that location and its contents, so I doubt they're about to either abandon it to inaccessibility across the ocean, or allow themselves to get stranded on an island with no idea how they're ever going to see the mainland again. They must have some way of getting to and from the soon-to-be-an-island prepared, which means some kind of boat.

Seems far-fetched to me. They are very close (horizontally) to Marseilles. Small fishing smacks are all you need if there is water. But no one has had need of them anywhere about for near 1000 years. They don't likely have the materials at the castle to build them, though they might on the "mainland". But it is a steep haul. I'd say the likelihood of having boats at the castle is nil.

Then there is the problem of who designs them. Likely their history records are thin. Even if they could design and build a boat, there doesn't seem to be a lot of chance to test it.

Perhaps they are an outpost of a larger group at Marseilles (or what is left there) and expect to be in contact after the flood. Unless this is true, I'd think their knowledge of boats is near zero also.
-- Charlie Grumbles

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:15 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Time to start run-ONG

Cueball's listening to Megan, but he's still turned toward us. I don't think he's given up.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:15 am UTC

Here's a close-up of the group now that they're clustered together:

Family unit? They definitely strike me as related, especially the group of three with bangs/fringe in the middle. Bunny and the other woman also appear to have similar hairstyles.
Sad: not a single hat among them. :( Not a fashion trend among the Forty? In which case, La Petite is an oddball or possibly one of the Hill People, as previously suggested.

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Keywords: Cuegan Cueball Megan group The Forty The Six Cueganites embiggen enlarge
TheSixAndCuegan.png

redundant44.png
redundant44.png (138.92 KiB) Viewed 14706 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:17 am UTC

Arky wrote:
neopifex wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:
mscha wrote:<snip> 6 Cueganites, I don't think LaPetite is one of them. But who know how many are behind them? (Hopefully, 30+.)

Seems like kind of a pointless time to travel in single file to hide their numbers, but I guess old habits die hard.

Living at the bottom of a dried seabed, it's hard not to be Sand People.

This is my favourite joke of this morning's ketchup.

Time can pass slow or fast. Now it is passing fast. A lesson from the GLR.

Doesn't mean it will necessarily end soon. You don't necessarily have to roll over and go to sleep after a climax.

...c'mon. No one is going to do anything with that one?

Even granting that "t***'s w**t s*e s**d" is probably so over it's almost due for a revival, at the pace things go nowadaysCANE, sharper wits than mine -- of which there are depressingly many on the OTT -- should be able to do wonders with such a set-up.

Ah, well. I suppose dramatic tension tends to focus the mind on what seem at least, in the short term, essentials. Arky: at least I noticed. Exceedingly well played. Your very good health, madam or sir: first and second rounds are on me.

CANE Anyone seen mine around? I'm gettin so mixed up. There's Cuegan's affairs, and the Beanie Council, and...
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:17 am UTC

Pool update: Now on pix 7...

Blitzgirl, thanks for the zoom-in on the group; I agree there's a family resemblance. (for one thing, they're all really really thin)

JGeezer

Postby JGeezer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:21 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Assuming everybody doesn't just drown, or the Beanie Fleet doesn't just show up to rescue everyone

That was mostly an inside joke about the earlier theories about sailing down the river (though as I was a proponent of those earlier theories I could see why you might think I was serious, but there were good counterarguments against them), and the awesome animation that was made depicting a departing Beanie fleet.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the Beanies do have some kind of seafaring vessels prepared, for no reason other than that they are currently on what they know is soon to be an island, and they apparently value that location and its contents, so I doubt they're about to either abandon it to inaccessibility across the ocean, or allow themselves to get stranded on an island with no idea how they're ever going to see the mainland again. They must have some way of getting to and from the soon-to-be-an-island prepared, which means some kind of boat.

And remember, the beanies have been to the Atlantic - they were trying to fix the Gibraltar plug - so they know of, and for all we know can travel on, the open ocean.
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:23 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Here's a close-up of the group now that they're clustered together:

Family unit? They definitely strike me as related, especially the group of three with bangs/fringe in the middle. Bunny and the other woman also appear to have similar hairstyles.
Sad: not a single hat among them. :( Not a fashion trend among the Forty? In which case, La Petite is an oddball or possibly one of the Hill People, as previously suggested.

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Keywords: Cuegan Cueball Megan group The Forty The Six Cueganites embiggen enlarge
TheSixAndCuegan.png

redundant44.png

I think Bunny is Megan's mom, and the other woman is her Grandmother.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:27 am UTC

partingLance wrote:Even granting that "t***'s w**t s*e s**d" is probably so over it's almost due for a revival, at the pace things go nowadaysCANE, sharper wits than mine -- of which there are depressingly many on the OTT -- should be able to do wonders with such a set-up.

My dad used that phrase earlier, but meaning it literally rather than an innuendo. It was a little strange to hear.

I think most of this group will head for safer ground, and cuegan (perhaps with a little help) will go in search of the others to warn them.

Now, to prevent a repeat of Buffygirl's embarrassing moment many newpix back, I shall molpy down. Dont drink and post, people.
He/Him/His Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:35 am UTC

More speculation. This time about the beanies and their knowledge of the flood.

The beanies, I'm pretty sure didn't cause the blockage (long long ago) or the flood. I think they knew of it as a possibility (no more) for a long while, perhaps because of old records or recent explorations.

They tried to shore up the leak, finger in the dike style. This would take a while to plan and try. Likely it was already leaking a bit when they discovered it. Possibly their attempts to fix it made it worse. I think the time scale here is months to a few years.

What do we know, then?
1. They can bring people together to work, both on this project and in trying to warn others.
2. Their society is likely stratified, with the princess/librarian at the top, or perhaps a scholar caste.
3. Their tech is probably no better than 17th or 18th century of the modern era. Big engineering projects became feasible not long after that. And there isn't likely to be the energy available anyway.
4. They are empathetic, and tried to warn others, possibly at risks to themselves.
5. They are widely travelled. But we don't know why they didn't settle on the mainland.
6. It is unlikely that all of them are at the castle. It just isn't big enough for the size of their efforts. So perhaps, a mainland contingent. Perhaps one of the other larger islands/mountains in the basin (Corsica...).
7. They might try to help in spite of the risks to themselves. Volunteers do crazy stuff. Perhaps a few will appear soon with ideas and simple tech.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:35 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Hey one thing for the future 13291 date prediction thing. Would the med drying up change the spinning of the earth? That much extra water moved around the other parts of the world while in the whole earth thing would not have a huge effect but over this long time scale it could have a meaningful effect. In theory the higher water level around most of the world would make the earth spin a little bit slower because of conservation of momentum etc.

That'd only affect a longitude estimate, which I don't recall the theory actually made.

EDIT: and it could affect the number of days in the year, or the schedule of leap years, in intervening calendar years, which could mean that it's not actually the same calendar date for any future keepers of the Gregorian calendar, but also not all that relevant here.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:39 am UTC

Megan:

We have to get everyone together.

We have to find something to help us cross rivers and sea-channels.

We have to head the other way, across the plain, toward the mountains.

We need to run.

And get a note to the milkman... no more cheese!
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:45 am UTC

Random832 wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Hey one thing for the future 13291 date prediction thing. Would the med drying up change the spinning of the earth? That much extra water moved around the other parts of the world while in the whole earth thing would not have a huge effect but over this long time scale it could have a meaningful effect. In theory the higher water level around most of the world would make the earth spin a little bit slower because of conservation of momentum etc.

That'd only affect a longitude estimate, which I don't recall the theory actually made.

EDIT: and it could affect the number of days in the year, or the schedule of leap years, in intervening calendar years, which could mean that it's not actually the same calendar date for any future keepers of the Gregorian calendar, but also not all that relevant here.

Rule110 started a conversation on this topic here: viewtopic.php?p=3415905#p3415905 There were several follow up posts.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”