1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Random832

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Random832 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

neopifex wrote:I don't have any suggestions, I just wanted to say that's pretty cool. I look forward to seeing what else you produce. :D

Just so no-one gets the wrong idea, technically I just took a text sample and threw it into http://www.wordle.net/ to make the image itself.

I'm also considering graphing the frequencies of the top 20 words over time. (along with top posters, top quoted posters)

EDIT: Whoa, page pope. I'm honored :mrgreen:. I get to make a decree now, right? :idea: Well, how about I decree people think of more ideas for statistical analysis of the contents of the OTT?
Last edited by Random832 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:51 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:@HAL9000 Hi Hal! No worries. It is incredibly hard to read it all. I admit, I skim-blitzed to catch up with the present, and that was difficult enough. We know you are out there, and you know that you are always welcome here! I do hope you are able to fully enjoy your summer, while still finding the odd moment to pop in and share in the OTT excitement over the OTC. For these are, indeed, incredibly exciting times! :mrgreen:

Yes they are.
Also, throwing out my list for the Monomolpy playing pieces:
  • Beesnake
  • Bucket
  • The hat we see in this frame
  • Flag
  • Squirrel
  • Bird (seagull-like, as per this one
  • Book(s) of maps
  • Backpack(s)
I tried to avoid pieces that have a connection to a specific space on the board (e.g. the hedgemolpy, the castle and "Lucky" {as we apparently now call the cat}). If we want the cat to be a piece, it could probably replace the beesnake or hat, and we could rename the hut to "abandoned hut" (after all, the first and last times we saw Lucky were not actually near the hut).
The hat's on there because my favorite regular Monopoly piece is the top hat, and I think there always should be a hat of some kind in the set.
I'm really surprised that my Knights Temporal logo (originally posted here) made it onto the board. It's cool that one of my contributions has survived for so long (just over 900 NP and over three months, in fact).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

paha arkkitehti

Postby paha arkkitehti » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

Reka wrote:
taixzo wrote:Aren't yurts generally made out of felt? That isn't very waterproof...

It wouldn't be terribly functional as a dwelling if it weren't waterproof. This isn't your local craft store felt we're talking about, this is thick stuff that has been pounded together out of natural wool which still contained significant quantities of lanolin. (Also, canvas is not generally considered waterproof, yet people make tents out of it all the time.)

There is a big difference between waterproof in the sense that it will keep you dry when it rains and waterproof in the sense that you can make a boat out of it. Felt is good for the former, but in the latter use water will very quickly seep through it.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Newcomers. Tell us about your handles. The regulars have mostly done so in the past. Mine is just an alter ego, without relationship to my TrueName. And since I'm grumbly, after you do so, get off my porch. :twisted:

Merely an interwebs identity that I've had for a long time. Oh, and I used to be a Captain, but now, clearly, I'm a Major. :wink:
Did that explain it?

Yes, perfectly. Why are you still on my porch? :P
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
MajorDouble7 wrote:THIS is BLOODY BRILLIANT!!! I can't say enough about this, Yappo, really, really good show!!! I've noticed one little detail that you may or may not wish to consider! (really, everything is perfect!) The Cueball/Monomolpy guy in the middle could be made to look like Rosetta (and she has a stick with +1 Thwapping)!!

Just absolutely ACES!!!!

Thanks :mrgreen: although I'm not sure why the Monomolpy Guy should be Rosetta... I wasn't really going for "Cueball", just "Generic xkcd character".

I just thought it would be nice to incorporate her in some fashion, especially as the 'all-knowing' persona in the middle of the game board. But as I said before, no real additions are needed! Every detail has been thoroughly thought after!
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

hajo wrote:
taixzo wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:I think we may need two editions of pieces. OK, so how about this list:

Squirpy
Raft
Dildunnerang
Beanie
Flag
Trebuchet
Castle
Bucket

I like the idea of some rather mundane pieces, and some very special pieces. Players often want the fancier pieces, and not getting stuck with the more mundane ones (who fights to get the iron?).
Does this seem like a good list for our first edition?

How will the flag stand up? (just thinking logistics here)

A flag is too thin, and would break easily.

How about an survey-tower ?
Also: WowTree

I know there aren't any human entities in the original... but maybe a pair of stick figures for the Timeopoly board? (again on a small stand, to cover the 'how would they stay up' questions).

I put forth the motion to have another vote for Timeopoly pieces! (After all submissions are received of course)
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Ephemeron wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
Ephemeron wrote:Wow...
Spoiler:
I didn't know that Time was still going. The last time I last checked the archive was around the end of the sandcastle sequence. And I only saw a few fast-moving playthroughs, so I didn't see the dialogue. I thought the whole thing was overrated, and that this forum thread was unnecessary and ridiculous. Until now.

When I saw the interactive player (which I recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it yet), the story emerged. I started to like it a lot better when I realised it was about two curious children. I'm not sure what the current consensus is about Megan and Cueball's ages, but for me it was quite obvious on frame 564 (Megan doesn't know how big the sea is) that they are little kids who don't know much about the world. It was amusing to see how long people mistook them for adults. (Having sex in a sandcastle? How inappropriate!) It was Neoqix who successfully called their ages on page 18, but it was scarcely mentioned again until Asthanius on page 340.

So far I've skimmed through the first 500 pages. And oh my, it is amazing how you manage to keep yourselves amused during the long periods when nothing is happening. I suppose I am lucky to have joined you at a very interesting time. Even during these last few hours, newpix have revealed important plot developments.

I must say it is a relief to see Munroe break out of his stale webcomic format for some long overdue serialised storytelling. My only problem with that is that it's in possibly the least accessible format ever. But if it wasn't for that, we wouldn't be here.

I'd like to see the eventual movie adaptation of this, though it's more than likely that the sandcastle sequence that played out for a month would only be shown during the opening credits. Of course it would probably not be made for another ten years, which is when this comic is due to finish. And it would be starring child actors who haven't even been born yet.

Of course, I'd much prefer that it never ends.

Guess he hasn't gotten that far in the story if he still thinks they're children :)
Oh, and welcome back! Although it sounds like you're blitzing, so you may not read this for quite a while.

No, I read all of it. Had to check the wiki for Rosetta's dialogue. But as far as I know, the only piece of canon that directly contradicts it is Cueball's reference to 'when I was little', which could easily be referring to when he was like... 4.

Yes, I know it's not realistic for children to be allowed to wander off on their own like that. But this is a liberty that is often taken by fiction writers (WARNING: TVTropes). And it is possibly justified by the tribal setting. Children here would have necessarily learned a lot more survival skills, such as how to fend off a wildcat.

You're probably going to point out that none of the other characters appear to be much taller than Megan and Cueball. That means nothing. It could easily be a Teenage Wasteland (TVTropes again).

None of the characters are taller than Megan and cueball. But many of the characters (who are the ones referred to as "kids") are a good deal shorter. (See LaPetite, for example.)

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

mscha wrote:PredictiONG for the final frame...

(Yes, they re-built the top layer of the castle.)

Hmm... why do I have such a strong feeling of deja vu?

Xenocat

Postby Xenocat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Newcomers. Tell us about your handles. The regulars have mostly done so in the past. Mine is just an alter ego, without relationship to my TrueName. And since I'm grumbly, after you do so, get off my porch. :twisted:

This is a nickname that got given by friends to my World of Warcraft character, whose actual name begins with "Xeno", and who is a feral druid (and hence a cat). I adopted it as a handle in a few places.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:

Aww, 4! That would actually be a lovely way to end it.

And nice touch with Megball holding hands Image

It is soo very sweet, but where are the rest of their people? Did they drop them off and then sail in to the sunset? Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:

It is soo very sweet, but where are the rest of their people? Did they drop them off and then sail in to the sunset? Image

Of course... like the Elves.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

A few random thoughts about current topics:

I still think they're just going to keep floating on the edge of the growing sea in the existing river bed. Who cares about steppness, rapids, ⁷terfass, etc? All they need to do is wait for the water to rise some more. So, within a few days, they'll arrive near Châteaux d'If.
(Yes, I'm sure this won't work in the Outside. But hey, it's a comic...)

About the pace of the OTC: the GLR is more and more “cheating” with those 1-frame “cut scenes”, and even beside those, things are going at least 10 times faster than they used to.
I really have the impression that He wants to put an end to Time as quickly as feasible. I hope I'm wrong about this, though.
(On the other hand, the change could just be a consequence of the altered title text. Until recently, we had to “wait for it”, so 5 newpix to cross a single scene, a hundred or so newpix to cross the dunes (haven't counted them), etc. Now we need to “run” and so does the OTC.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I'm really surprised that my Knights Temporal logo (originally posted here) made it onto the board. It's cool that one of my contributions has survived for so long (just over 900 NP and over three months, in fact).
It was the only thing I could think of to represent the "Church of the OTC", since we don't really have any kind of "symbol" otherwise. So yeah, it's a pretty 4 symbol and I'm glad you made it! I've used it in another thing too which I have yet to share so you'll just have to (spoiler...)

Also agree with you that pieces would be best if they didn't have a connection to a specific location.
schwartzbewithyou wrote:<snip>
I put forth the motion to have another vote for Timeopoly pieces! (After all submissions are received of course)

Yes, we should definitely create a poll or something once we've got a list.
Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:

I like to think, once they'd got their tribe to safety, Megball decided they couldn't quite settle back in to normal life after everything that happened, and wanted to go off and explore the world some more, and LaPetite wanted to come along too. Kind of like the end of LOTR, at the Grey Havens. (SortaNinja'd by NetWeasel re. LOTR)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

RAFTBUILDONG
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:RAFTBUILDONG

Wait, why are they putting fabric on the side of it?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
Spoiler:

Brings Loopism to a whole new level. In fact, considering that Othercomics have continued to arrive subsequent to the onset of the OTC, it's not so much Loopism as... Treeism? GliderGunism?
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Spoiler:
LampyDave wrote:On a similar vein, I would love to think that the 'earthquake knocks part of sandcastle down while precipitating events which will lead to demise' theory is true

There was this graph by Smithers back on NP 261:

So the water began rising in earnest with a small delay after the piece fell off the castle in frame 173. I think this fits far too well to be a coincidence...

Quite a few pieces fell off in the early sandcastle building days. (Not later – apparently Cueball got better at it; Megan's corners never did fall off to begin with.) So the timing for one of those pieces happens to be right, and that can't be a coincidence? Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:RAFTBUILDONG
Spoiler:

Wait, why are they putting fabric on the side of it?

Maybe so they can fit more stuff in it, or so people don't fall off the sides? They do seem to have assembled another, open raft behind it, on which they have piled their stuff.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

mscha wrote:About the pace of the OTC: the GLR is more and more “cheating” with those 1-frame “cut scenes”, and even beside those, things are going at least 10 times faster than they used to.
I really have the impression that He wants to put an end to this chapter of Time as quickly as feasible.

Problem solved ;)

taixzo wrote:Wait, why are they putting fabric on the side of it?

So GLR doesn't have to draw 20 cueganites every frame?
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
Spoiler:

xkcd #1

Valarya wrote:It is soo very sweet, but where are the rest of their people? Did they drop them off and then sail in to the sunset? Image

Yeah, this goes with my earlier prediction, which I guess I should've included:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:Okay, time for a prediction.
8 more newpix to collect the rest of the 40 and supplies/belongings, 12 newpix of floating upstream through rivers and canyons until they arrive at Château d'If, 10 newpix of dealing with the Beanies and Rosetta, 6 frames of aftermath, and thus ends time, with Cuegan living long and happily ever after. Image
And thus ends time at np3070.

(The good news: I've got a lousy track record with predictions. I guess this is my attempt to ensure that time does not end.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

A girl's got to have her privacy?
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Handles? Min Donner is the Director of Enforcement Division at the United Mining Corps Police, ie. basically a space cop. Longtime handle all across the internets, and anyone who has not already read Stephen Donaldson's Gap cycle, I recommend they do so!

I wonder if they're ever going to bother clearing all that sand off?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

foilman wrote:New plan ONG...
Spoiler:

"...that's never been done before.." oh, yeah, like that's going to turn out well!

Unless of course he's just referring to a mashup of Wild Thing and Born to be Wild :twisted:
Last edited by cellocgw on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

wertle

Postby wertle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

HES wrote:
mscha wrote:About the pace of the OTC: the GLR is more and more “cheating” with those 1-frame “cut scenes”, and even beside those, things are going at least 10 times faster than they used to.
I really have the impression that He wants to put an end to this chapter of Time as quickly as feasible.

Problem solved ;)

They could also be preparing for a long time on the searivers, sun protection would be handy in that case.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Okay, time for a prediction.
8 more newpix to collect the rest of the 40 and supplies/belongings, 12 newpix of floating upstream through rivers and canyons until they arrive at Château d'If, 10 newpix of dealing with the Beanies and Rosetta, 6 frames of aftermath, and thus ends time, with Cuegan living long and happily ever after. Image
And thus ends time at np3070.

(The good news: I've got a lousy track record with predictions. I guess this is my attempt to ensure that time does not end.)

I definitely think that's a bit of a fast-track conclusion, considering that the conflict was only introduced ~140 NP ago (when the predicted final extent of the sea was revealed). My thoughts are that they'll run into trouble in the form of Hill People, and have to deal with them somehow (avoiding, fighting, etc.).

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

cellogw, I think you broke the forum. :(
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

wertle wrote:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:

Problem solved ;)

They could also be preparing for a long time on the searivers, sun protection would be handy in that case.

Careful, that sounds dangerously like sound logic

taixzo wrote:cellogw, I think you broke the forum. :(
there must be some mixed up bbcode tags in there. Certainly not the first mustardy post we've encountered.
Last edited by HES on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:[ quote][ spoiler][ /quote][ /spoiler]

Heh, I'd forgotten about that glitch.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:How do you ride a raft up a river?

The river's flowing upwards, because the rising sea1 is pushing up the riverbed2

Either tow ropes, as someone else posted, or else place a large bag of thiotimoline at the front with intent to dump it into the water. (but don't actually do so...)
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Here's the proper version of that post:

cellocgw wrote:
foilman wrote:New plan ONG...
Spoiler:

"...that's never been done before.." oh, yeah, like that's going to turn out well!

Unless of course he's just referring to a mashup of Wild Thing and Born to be Wild :twisted:

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Mine's from Farscape's Peacekeeper Commandos. If you object and note that they're not such nice guys, two words: Aeryn Sun. Suck it. :D

It's a handle I first adopted when I had just gotten into the show and was signing up at the TrekBBS boards back in 2002. I use it in a few other places as well.

lgw

Postby lgw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

To me the arrival of LaPetit was the crowning moment of awesome for Time. But now I'm sad: all the Chekov's guns have been fired. All the mysteries have been revealed. Now it just plays out and wraps up.

I really think the whole of Time stands well as an answer to the question "why do we need a space program"? I wonder if it was partially intended as such. There must be so much that we as a species don't know that we don't know, for no matter how hard we look we have just this one vantage point. Some of those things we'll likely wish we knew earlier!

ETA:
cellocgw wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:How do you ride a raft up a river?

The river's flowing upwards, because the rising sea1 is pushing up the riverbed2

Either tow ropes, as someone else posted, or else place a large bag of thiotimoline at the front with intent to dump it into the water. (but don't actually do so...)

Wow, kudos to anyone who gets that reference. First short story published by a guy who went on to publish a few more works. :wink:
Last edited by lgw on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

So I was going back through the whole of Time thus far. In hindsight, it seems likely this incident was precipitated by the change in water density and Megan's relative buoyancy, back when the change was still to readily noticeable to Cuegan.

Day 4, four 15:00, frame 174 from the Book of Aubron, first scene with characters back in frame post-swim:
Spoiler:

EDIT:
And the first trebuchet - can it be assumed this was salvaged form the hill people? Are the hill people a war-like culture? Did Cuegann replicate the trebuchet in miniature from this pre-existing sample? It seems that the Cueganites are not a warring group, and thus unlikely that it was their invention, yes?

Day 5, 12:30, frame 218 from Book of Aubron:
Spoiler:
Last edited by cari.j.elliot on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

lgw wrote:To me the arrival of LaPetit (snip)

LaPetite, please.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

lgw wrote:To me the arrival of LaPetit was the crowning moment of awesome for Time. But now I'm sad: all the Chekov's guns have been fired. All the mysteries have been revealed. Now it just plays out and wraps up.

Not all of them. What about the whole Beanish language? And what about the reason for the collapse of the dam? And why there is no modern technology anymore? I predict GLR will answer at least one of these three before Time has come to an end.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

keithl wrote: Just for grins, I sent Dr. Garcia-Castellanos a question about the absence of inertia effects in the model ...

... and I got a gracious response with pointers to more information:

http://retosterricolas.blogspot.com.es/ ... t-all.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... w-qf_zQMWs
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... niense.ogv

Dr. Garcia-Castellanos said they did not include inertia in their models. We are discussing now whether it is important, perhaps consult with some physical oceanographers.

Inertia may indeed be tiny, a second order effect. But as a seventh order effect, a microbe on the moisture on the granite scum on a tiny iron core rockball next to a 3.8e26 watt fusion furnace in a universe that is the dim ember of a collossal big bang, I worry about second order effects a lot.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
lgw wrote:To me the arrival of LaPetit was the crowning moment of awesome for Time. But now I'm sad: all the Chekov's guns have been fired. All the mysteries have been revealed. Now it just plays out and wraps up.

Not all of them. What about the whole Beanish language? And what about the reason for the collapse of the dam? And why there is no modern technology anymore? I predict GLR will answer at least one of these three before Time has come to an end.

and missing antares. i can't imagine a supernova to have caused the blockage.

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

speising wrote:
taixzo wrote:

and missing antares. i can't imagine a supernova to have caused the blockage.

And the lost city of Atlantis. Someone was bound to have stumbled upon it, during saltier times... :P

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:cellogw, I think you broke the forum. :(

The whole thing? All by myself? I must be the Galactic Overlord! (my self-imposed nickname at work).

Anyway, sorry-fixed the bad post.

I do find it a bit worrying that they'd take the time to rig an enclosed area on the raft before shoving off. They have no guarantee of flat water or of the rate of sea level rise, so why not get under way and finish of the living arrangements later on?
Former OTTer

Burton

Postby Burton » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I do find it a bit worrying that they'd take the time to rig an enclosed area on the raft before shoving off. They have no guarantee of flat water or of the rate of sea level rise, so why not get under way and finish of the living arrangements later on?

Maybe it's more waterproof than you think... they're building a submarine!

Ok, not really.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”