1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And then I visit the OTT and one of the first things I see is yappo's game board. I am..I don't know what to say. Flippin' brilliant. (BTW, yappo, I was driving along Cannery Row yesterday and saw a 6-foot tall stuffed sea otter in one of the stores. I wanted to take a picture for you, but didn't have a chance to go back.)

:mrgreen: Neat! And thanks, and welcome back! Nice minifilk too.

Thanks! I just went back to look at the board in more detail. If anyone had come into the office they would have seen me grinning like an idiot at my computer screen. :D

For game pieces: definitely trebuchet. And I like the idea of a hat. Seems like it should either be a beret or a beanie. And I think definitely Lucky. S/he may have only been in one part of the story, but the molpy attack was the impetus to get in contact with the Beanish people and was a critical part of the story. Plus we saw Lucky on their trip back. And there should definitely be a sandcastle piece, or a castle anyway. And now, maybe a raft?

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
higgs-boson wrote:RAFTBUILDONG

Wait, why are they putting fabric on the side of it?

A sail! A sail!

speising wrote:
taixzo wrote:
lgw wrote:To me the arrival of LaPetit was the crowning moment of awesome for Time. But now I'm sad: all the Chekov's guns have been fired. All the mysteries have been revealed. Now it just plays out and wraps up.

Not all of them. What about the whole Beanish language? And what about the reason for the collapse of the dam? And why there is no modern technology anymore? I predict GLR will answer at least one of these three before Time has come to an end.

and missing antares. i can't imagine a supernova to have caused the blockage.

And who the Hill people are, and why they hate the Cueganites. I like carl.j.elliot's theory about the trebuchet coming from the Hill people.

JGeezer wrote:
Random832 wrote:A preview of a project I'm working on: Here is a word cloud of the first 100 pages of the OTT:
Spoiler:
wordcloud1.png

Anyone have any ideas of analysis to do? I'm doing word frequencies and post counts, so far.

I'd love to see a progression of counts, maybe a hundred pages at a time or something, of the whole OTT. I can imagine being able to see the whole story develop as the word frequencies change!

Oooh, nice idea!

buffygirl wrote:
mscha wrote:<snip>frakhorsestaplers, thanks for the Lost answers link. I'll have a better look later, but it looks promising. (At least it tries to deal with my biggest frustration, that Lost and its inhabitants never even attempted to address the paradox of [SPOILER!!].)

ARGH!!! "LOST" SPOILER!
Yes, I one of the five people in the world who has only just started watching Lost (via Netflix)...<snippety>

I'm one as well. Wonder who the other three are?

b2bomberkrh wrote:<snip snip>I think it would also be cool if we each considered something we could to make our lives or someone else's life better in honor of the OTC. It has brought so much joy to so many, it would be great to see it having a positive real world impact as well. I remember a short while back someone talking about taking up running. So, maybe if you need to be in better shape, start running, or go to the gym, or if you're already a gym buff guy or gal, read that book on quantum mechanics you've always wanted to ("Fabric of the Cosmos" maybe?), or do some volunteer work, or whatever seems appropriate to you.

Ok, those are just two ideas on how we could, as a community, do some positive things while we still are a community. Here's hoping that the OTC has a long future, but also hoping that we can do some good in the real world out of our appreciation for the OTC and the community here on the OTT.

Here here! (hear hear? There was a discussion about this thousands of pages ago. Everything old is new...) I think that's a beautiful idea. But I'm not giving up on Time just yet.

Latent22 wrote: OTVO Results Time!
Voting post.

No one seems to be voting anymore and we have a landslide winner with 10 out of the 17 votes for this one combination!

And the Winner is C6M3!

Which means you have chosen Valarya and yappobiscuits as your Cuegen voice actors!

Oh, bravo! Wonderful combination!

Oh dear, I'm not doing a very good job of lurking. :)

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:

Maybe so they can fit more stuff in it, or so people don't fall off the sides? They do seem to have assembled another, open raft behind it, on which they have piled their stuff.

Why, it's obvious if you think back to their earlier habits:
Spoiler:
To hide their numbers. Can't go single file on a boat of that size.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

jazz14456 wrote:Why do you guys have the redundant images whenever you post images (well, important images, anyway)?

Because they post it as an attachment, but the attachment doesn't look good because of the way the forum software scales it down, so they also post a direct link to the full-sized image. The original attachment goes in the spoiler.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:

A sail! A sail!

Of course! That actually would explain how they can stay ahead of the sea!

...Any meteorologists here know which direction the wind would be blowing?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

GroupONG

ETA: Are we one person short?
Last edited by taixzo on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:01 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Random832 wrote:Just so no-one gets the wrong idea, technically I just took a text sample and threw it into http://www.wordle.net/ to make the image itself.

Neat!

Here's the dialogue (sans Beanish ;) ) of the OTC so far:

Spoiler:
dialogue_wordle.png

"Neat seems empty"
:shock: :(
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

jazz14456 wrote:Why do you guys have the redundant images whenever you post images (well, important images, anyway)?

It's when we upload a file, so we can view it more easily. Normally, when you attach a file it just shows a little undersized preview (and uploading .gif animations don't work), so we also place it "inline" to show the full version. We keep the preview because you can click it and it opens the original image in a new window/tab/whatever.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:ETA: Are we one person short?

Someone could easily be behind something, with as busy as the frame is.

I'm sure they would know if they're missing someone who was with this group.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:We keep the preview because you can click it and it opens the original image in a new window/tab/whatever.

Also because it won't work if you remove it.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Wow, "Neat" is really that small?

Yes, LaPetite recently raised the count to 8 (out of 4744).
Go Minim go!

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
taixzo wrote:<snip>"Infinitely long" does not mean "contains every possibility". For example, the number 0.121121112111121111121111112... does not repeat, but doesn't contain every combination of numbers; it doesn't even contain a 3.
Thank you! Once again an otter has helped me fix a glitch in my worldview. The idea that an infinite universe would contain various obnoxious scenarios has always really bothered me. The possibility for horrors still exist, of course, but they're not guaranteed by the very definition of the universe.

Let me put on my mathematicians hat again and give you a bit more enlightenment. Taixzo's number is infinite and not repeating, but it does have a regular pattern. However, an infinite string of random digits would contain any sequence of any length that you would care to choose.

{P1110}
What's the longest sequence of the first n digits of pi seen after the first digit?
(Shirley you could have expressed that better, Exo?)

Fans of James P. Hogan may recognize the concept of an infinite universe containing "obnoxious scenarios" being bothersome. In the most recent of his Giants novels, one of the characters was questioning the physicists assertion that the multiverse contained all possibilities, as a result of all possible quantum outcomes resulting in a different universe. I'm not phrasing this very well, but the point that she made to the physicists was that she simply didn't believe a universe existed out there where all the books on the library shelves had blank pages on the inside, because no-one would make books like that. This led to the physicists considering the influence of intelligence/consciousness on the resolution of quantum events, and opened my eyes to the concept that the presence of intelligent, self-aware entities precludes certain "obnoxious" scenarios from existing anywhere, and that there is something very mysterious still about consciousness that influences even quantum events. I highly recommend Hogan's novels to the sci-fi readers, and very highly recommend "The Emperor's New Mind" by Roger Penrose, to anyone interested in a very well written, non-fiction exploration of the mind, and its place in the realm of physics.

ETA: If pi's decimal expansion truly has all the statistics of a random string of numbers, then there is no "longest sequence of the first n digits of pi seen after the first digit". You can make n as high as you want, and eventually, you will find that string again. Of course, there is no way to verify this, and I'm not sure whether you can actually prove that any series of numbers is truly statistically random, since you need to look at a bigger and bigger set of the numbers to get statistics and more and more unlikely events. (For example, to show that the sequence of digits that are the first 10,000 digits of pi re-occurs no more nor less often than any other sequence of 10,000 digits would require an ENORMOUS number of digits total to be examined.)
Last edited by b2bomberkrh on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:GroupONG

Spoiler:

I love how LaPetite's happily hopping along on the top there and Megan's looking at her like "Careful you don't fall off..." :mrgreen:
(That's how I like to see it anyway)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
mscha wrote:Here's an animation of the loading of the raft.
(I left out the black “cut frame”, which turns out to have been completely useless – you barely notice any “cut”, except for the water level rising.)
Spoiler:

It's much easier to see this way, it looks like the main things they did was add the curtain, and a second raft at the back to hold on the supplies. I imagined this was ninja'd as the frames came out, but there is a LOT of newpages to ketchup just since last night, and I'm at work.

Am I the only one who's noticed a chckamolpy near the ground on the left in a couple of these frames?

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
mscha wrote:<snip>frakhorsestaplers, thanks for the Lost answers link. I'll have a better look later, but it looks promising. (At least it tries to deal with my biggest frustration, that Lost and its inhabitants never even attempted to address the paradox of [SPOILER!!].)

ARGH!!! "LOST" SPOILER!
Yes, I one of the five people in the world who has only just started watching Lost (via Netflix)...<snippety>

I almost wanted to say that I was one of the three, but I haven't "only just started watching." I'm more of a "non-watcher" of that particular series. Much prefer old Quantum Leap episodes and The Walking Dead with a hint of Downton Abbey. :D
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

OK. Guess I was wrong about the alt-text changing on the next newpix. Maybe once they cast off?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

lgw

Postby lgw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Molpy up people! Get on the raft and shove off!

I see I'm not the only one who has started to use "molpy up!" in the imperative, like "cowboy up and get it done!".

b2bomberkrh wrote:Given the recent ties between the OTC and the regular xkcd strip, do you think Cueball and the others are victims of the Helvetica Scenario? Hmmm, I guess it's unlikely since they do seem able to speak, see, eat, etc.

Will someone please have mercy and explain WTF "Helvetica Scenario" means? I'm dyin' here! :D

External image hosts are often blocked at work. The forum's image attach feature isn't quotable. BlitzGirl (IIRC) came up with this work-around so you can see the image when you quote the post.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:

A sail! A sail!

Of course! That actually would explain how they can stay ahead of the sea!

...Any meteorologists here know which direction the wind would be blowing?

I think it much more likely they're putting it there to provide shade/protection. They're creating a living area for what 21 people for an indeterminate amount of time, I don't think they wanted the sides open to the elements, and the sun baking down on everyone.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

FYI, noticed something.
The flags are actually moving now! They didn't move at all for the first 970 frames!

Does this mean there was no wind? Or just mustard....

Redundant
Spoiler:
Does everyone click on these? I know I do :wink:
BoatFlag.gif
BoatFlag.gif (13.47 KiB) Viewed 9513 times
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Molpy up!

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Ketchup? I think yes!

@Ronald:
Spoiler:
rvloon wrote:She does manips on a forum thread
When there's arguing, she soothes it instead

I guess you'd say
What can make the OTT be this way?
BlitzGirl (BlitzGirl, BlitzGirl)
Talkin' 'bout BlitzGirl (BlitzGirl)

She does ottifications wowfully
Redundakitties are her specialty

I guess you'd say

Hey hey hey
Hey hey hey
Ooh

We don't need no money, fortune, or fame
We've got all the smilies baby one man can claim

I guess you'd say

I've got replied to on the OTT
By BlitzGirl

O wherever the OTT would be
Without BlitzGirl

3rd ottification of today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P1x7Yy9CXI

Aww, thank you! :mrgreen: You're just cranking out the ottifications recently - I love it!
More about me (okay, that sounds pretty egocentric):
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:Good coma, Lightning Lass, it's been wowterful having you back in the thread again :mrgreen:

(rvloon just ninja'd me on those sentiments, and in a much more wowterful and musical fashion :P)

Thanks, yappo! :)

taixzo wrote:
Wildhound wrote:I am looking forward to the big reveal at the end of Time, when it is made known that Blitzgirl has been GLR all along. With an elaborately constructed, but fake, online persona to throw us off the scent.

I bet this isn't even a new prediction, but my internal storage is a low lower than the current content of the OTT in bits.

But how could that be? BlitzGirl is LaPetite...OMR, GLR is LaPetite too! :shock: :D :wink:

That would be a lot of work! Though I suppose GLR doesn't mind work, considering he created all of Time.
But I'm definitely not him! (GLR is free to be LaPetite, though. Whom I am also not.)
On word clouds:
Spoiler:
JGeezer wrote:
Random832 wrote:A preview of a project I'm working on: Here is a word cloud of the first 100 pages of the OTT:

Anyone have any ideas of analysis to do? I'm doing word frequencies and post counts, so far.

I'd love to see a progression of counts, maybe a hundred pages at a time or something, of the whole OTT. I can imagine being able to see the whole story develop as the word frequencies change!

I love this idea. :) What would be really neat would be to have a slider mechanism that allowed you to slide along the newpages of the OTT and watch the word cloud morph accordingly (words get bigger, words shrink, new words appear) but that's a lot more complicated than progressive centi-page word clouds.

Zorin_75 wrote:Here's the dialogue (sans Beanish ;) ) of the OTC so far:

The Sea is big!
The River is also pretty big, too!
A redundant answer on redundant spoilers:
Spoiler:

I'm lazy, so here's a copypasted explanation:
Long story - I used to use an outside image hosting site to upload pictures, but some of the readers of the thread could not see the images because their work filters were snagging on them. So I decided to make sure that anyone able to read the thread would also be able to see the images, which meant uploading attachments directly into the posts. The problem with this is that the uploaded attachments sometimes render oddly (particularly if they're gifs) and cannot be quoted directly. To sidestep those issues, I copy the direct url for the image from the attachment, wrap that in image tags, and put it in my post. Voila, visible, quotable, image.

The one hangup of this convoluted method is that the wonky attachment still has to be in the post somewhere. So I usually place it inline and hide it with a spoiler tag. To save people the trouble of clicking just to see a redundant image, I label the spoiler "redundant." But I know that some people (myself included) like to check all the spoiler tags in this thread just to make sure they've read it all, so I started putting little lolcat easter eggs (a.k.a. "redundakitties") in my redundant spoilers. And that's the whole crazy story. :D
On "molpy up!":
Spoiler:
lgw wrote:I see I'm not the only one who has started to use "molpy up!" in the imperative, like "cowboy up and get it done!".

That was actually the original usage of the phrase, from this manip made at the beginning of the Long Night:
BlitzGirl wrote:You know what Time it is?

The Sun

Inspired by http://xkcd.com/673/
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

lgw wrote:To me the arrival of LaPetit was the crowning moment of awesome for Time. But now I'm sad: all the Chekov's guns have been fired. All the mysteries have been revealed. Now it just plays out and wraps up.

'nuff said.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Of course! That actually would explain how they can stay ahead of the sea!

Won't work, and is too late anyway.
You can't raft upriver if you need to ascend 2 km. They'll just have to rise with the sea.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Exodies wrote:{P1110}
What's the longest sequence of the first n digits of pi seen after the first digit?

I don't see why there would be an upper limit. Pi wouldn't have to repeat for there not to be an upper limit

Take for example a number formed by the following rule:

You can easily find the position of an arbitrarily large sequence of the first n digits after the first digit, and the number is of course transcendental.

Suppose you have calculated the digits of pi or a similar transcendental probably-normal number, and it consists a trillion 'random' (in the sense that they do not contain any nontrivial-length sequences of the first n digits of pi) digits, followed by a repetition of the first thousand digits. Then two trillion more 'random' digits, then the first two thousand digits.

You'd have gone through 1000000001000*(1+2+3+...1000000001001) total digits, most of which are 'random', before you even begin repeating the first thousand digits of that second group of two trillion.

Really, it's no different than going looking for an arbitrarily long sequence of zeroes.
Last edited by Random832 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

lgw wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Molpy up people! Get on the raft and shove off!

I see I'm not the only one who has started to use "molpy up!" in the imperative, like "cowboy up and get it done!".

Well, that was actually the original use of the phrase, when it was coined in this ComicManip of BlitzGirl's.

Aaaand ninja'd by BlitzGirl herself. That was a short coma!

Also, I think we should put an explanation about redundant spoilers in the wiki. It's been asked about SO many times, I think people are getting tired of explaining!
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:<snip snip>I think it would also be cool if we each considered something we could to make our lives or someone else's life better in honor of the OTC. It has brought so much joy to so many, it would be great to see it having a positive real world impact as well. I remember a short while back someone talking about taking up running. So, maybe if you need to be in better shape, start running, or go to the gym, or if you're already a gym buff guy or gal, read that book on quantum mechanics you've always wanted to ("Fabric of the Cosmos" maybe?), or do some volunteer work, or whatever seems appropriate to you.

Ok, those are just two ideas on how we could, as a community, do some positive things while we still are a community. Here's hoping that the OTC has a long future, but also hoping that we can do some good in the real world out of our appreciation for the OTC and the community here on the OTT.

Here here! (hear hear? There was a discussion about this thousands of pages ago. Everything old is new...) I think that's a beautiful idea. But I'm not giving up on Time just yet.

I'm part of a group of background folks that organizes some helping event related to the productions. We did a food drive for Hunger Games, for example. The group is called "Extra Hands" Maybe here we can call us, "The Hands of Time" I realize we're very spread out, so it isn't likely we can have in person events, but it gives us a name to use as we do our positive things. And of course, our slogan must be, "Molpy Up!"
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

shurikt wrote:LOL. The only thread where you can be ninja'd by four pages.
That comment made me LOL.

lgw wrote:Will someone please have mercy and explain WTF "Helvetica Scenario" means? I'm dyin' here! :D
Look in the alt text here. A helvetica scenario is a completely mustard scientific exploitation on steroids.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

Still behind, on NP1225... at this rate, my ketchup may turn into a full blitz. I don't know how taixzo and CasCat managed to read 100 pages a day!

Anyway...
YAY LAPETITE! Image

BlitzGirl wrote:Also, I'd like to mention that I totally called LaPetite being the cousin.

Hmm... Now how did you know that, unless... you ARE said cousin? Image
Well, then again...
mikrit wrote:Oh, and I can see LaPetite and BlitzGirl at the same time, so they are not the same person after all.

...or maybe LaPetite is browsing the OTT on an iPhone that we can't quite see!
BlitzGirl wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:
mscha wrote:OMR, it's all related!
Spoiler:

EXTREMELY well done, had to check the original to be sure.
(yes, you got me)

For some reason I completely missed the added bullet and went straight to "Mustard." :roll: That probably counts as getting me, too...

There's also "Flesh-eating bacteria" which is kind of like a brain-eating amoeba.
NetWeasel wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Anna-X wrote:I'm seeing this now!?
Again, I'm still way back. My pixbot caught this one also at the same time (8 minutes before an ong). Probably mustard. The hash is not new.

This implies that, at this point, GLR is building these frames on the fly as he's going. It looks like he needed the structure to put LaPetit's boat together and then he accidently put the original frame in the wrong place.

Well, not necessarily on the fly. It could have happened at any time.

The implication is that he needed that particular image for something at the time it showed up, or just before it did. The only thing he would have needed that image for is the boat, which just showed up. How much time difference was there between this image showing up and the smooshed castle appearing behind the yurts? That doesn't seem like that big of a buffer to me.

The problem is, it's a partially faded frame. Wouldn't he have used an unfaded frame to copy the boat from?

Edit: Oh hey, I made one of those freakposts! Now to fix it...

Edit2: Oh, by the way, @yappobiscuits: the monopoly board is 4!
Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Word cloud for Beanish!

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

ARGH!!! "LOST" SPOILER!

I almost wanted to say that I was one of the three, but I haven't "only just started watching." I'm more of a "non-watcher" of that particular series. Much prefer old Quantum Leap episodes and The Walking Dead with a hint of Downton Abbey. :D

I haven't seen Lost yet, but am still sort of interested. But it's like numb3rs and Big Bang Theory, it's one of those thing I would watch when nothing more interesting would be available to me. Quantum Leap I still love, because of the friendlyness of the series. Also, Due South.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

ARGH!!! "LOST" SPOILER!

A modern day Romeo and Juliet get caught up in a mysterious experiment that sends them hurtling through time, not in their own bodies but into the bodies of ordinary people across time. But they are not alone! The shadowy agency responsible for the experiment has sent along stalker agents with them. No matter where they are in time they are caught in a game of intrigue, desperate to find each other among the throngs of contemporaries that surround them so that they can share but a few sweet moments together before being whisked away to a new time and body. But behind every new face could be the person they love desperately or an agent whose only goal is to wipe their very existence from time itself!

That's the best I could do combining Quantum Leap, Walking Dead, and a hint of Downton Abbey... hmm maybe I could replace the agents with a time plague that turns people into mindless time zombies, but then it wouldn't have the intrigue feel that gives it that slight Downton Abbey edge... and even the intrigue is probably a little too high adventure for the true Downton feel, hmm... may need some work...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

Beanish word cloud...that is so ful of wowter I can hardly stand it! :mrgreen:

yappobiscuits wrote:<snip> Aaaand ninja'd by BlitzGirl herself. That was a short coma!

Also, I think we should put an explanation about redundant spoilers in the wiki. It's been asked about SO many times, I think people are getting tired of explaining!

Yep, my coma schedule's a little wonky recently...probably going to have to take a mini-coma later.
I'll start a quick page for redundant spoilers.

cryptoengineer wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
mscha wrote:Here's an animation of the loading of the raft.
(I left out the black “cut frame”, which turns out to have been completely useless – you barely notice any “cut”, except for the water level rising.)
Spoiler:

It's much easier to see this way, it looks like the main things they did was add the curtain, and a second raft at the back to hold on the supplies. I imagined this was ninja'd as the frames came out, but there is a LOT of newpages to ketchup just since last night, and I'm at work.

Am I the only one who's noticed a chckamolpy near the ground on the left in a couple of these frames?

I think that this is actually more debris flowing past on the sea-river, so...twigamolpy?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:<snip> I want a Monopoly: OTC edition!

Good job you're not molpying down JUST yet, because I just finished this...
Spoiler:
(Only attached, because it might be a bit seaish to actually embed in a post)

Skim ketchupping and I was forced to respond to this post immediately with a picture of a very happy molkey.

ETA: put actual image in spoiler. Or is it too seaish to put in an image like that and that's why you didn't do so? I don't understand technology; I'm just a primolpy pretending to be an elementary particle.

Primolpy or molkey? Perhaps the Cueganites will encounter such creatures some day and we will be forced to choose.
Last edited by Charm Quark on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:42 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Lost forever in time...

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

It is funny how often I write a two-line comment, hit "submit", and have the forum software warn me that four new posts have been added since I started writing.

However, since the forum software does warn you about that, how do we have 1000s of posts complaining of ninja-ing? Are people really posting in the same millisecond that often? It would seem that anyone getting ninja'ed jumped in front of the shuriken intentionally, just so they could complain about it later...
Last edited by Mikeski on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
taixzo wrote:ETA: Are we one person short?

Someone could easily be behind something, with as busy as the frame is.

I'm sure they would know if they're missing someone who was with this group.

Isn't Cueball the one who's missing? I don't see him anywhere, or is it just me?

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
ucim wrote:

It is funny how often I write a two-line comment, hit "submit", and have the forum software warn me that four new posts have been added since I started writing.

However, since the forum software does warn you about that, how do we have 1000s of posts complaining of ninja-ing? Are people really posting in the same millisecond that often? It would seem that anyone getting ninja'ed jumped in front of the shuriken intentionally, just so they could complain about it later...

It's not always showing you the right context, and only shows you one or two posts in either direction. So, you do not always get the posts that are about to ninja-you.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

lgw wrote:Will someone please have mercy and explain WTF "Helvetica Scenario" means? I'm dyin' here! :D
Look in the alt text here. A helvetica scenario is a completely mustard scientific exploitation on steroids.

Jose

Warning! You will not be able to unsee this!
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
ucim wrote:

It's not always showing you the right context, and only shows you one or two posts in either direction. So, you do not always get the posts that are about to ninja-you.

Ronald

I think maybe it also only warns you about posts made since you started your own post, so that if you don't refresh just before posting, stuff can have been posted that you didn't read that came in before you started your own post. At least, my experience has been that it certainly doesn't always show me new posts based on what I was actually looking at when I started to post.

lgw

Postby lgw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
Exodies wrote:{P1110}

I don't see why there would be an upper limit. Pi wouldn't have to repeat for there not to be an upper limit

Take for example a number formed by the following rule:

You can easily find the position of an arbitrarily large sequence of the first n digits after the first digit, and the number is of course transcendental.

Suppose you have calculated the digits of pi or a similar transcendental probably-normal number, and it consists a trillion 'random' (in the sense that they do not contain any nontrivial-length sequences of the first n digits of pi) digits, followed by a repetition of the first thousand digits. Then two trillion more 'random' digits, then the first two thousand digits.

You'd have gone through 1000000001000*(1+2+3+...1000000001001) total digits, most of which are 'random', before you even begin repeating the first thousand digits of that second group of two trillion.

Really, it's no different than going looking for an arbitrarily long sequence of zeroes.

"Random" is a squishy word. The reals divide into the "computable" and "non-computable" reals. The computable reals have a finite production rule - and so may be "random" in some sense, but won't necessarily contain any given sequence of digits, even if examined infinitely. A non-computable real should contain any given finite sequence of digits, but since there's no production rule to tell you the next digit, how would you say either way? The non-computable reals are somewhat less than useful as numbers (IIRC they aren't even a field, but I don't have a cite for that).
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

nsub1

Postby nsub1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

More specifically, the Helvetica Scenario is from the pilot episode of the fake-retro-school-science show Look Around You. Season one is pretty great.

fatness

Postby fatness » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
ucim wrote:

Oh hell...I've had that happen with a two word comment. :shock:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

Hey all. Just snuck in the Outside, and did my ketchup of the OTC.
Yeah, LaPetite's back, with a raft! (Double Yeah!)
"This place is ending." More odd Megball speak, but what a direct way to put it. That's a chilling way to put that they're never coming back here.
Yesterdip I noted Cueball's lament about his old play-rock. I just want to expand on how poignant I found that. If circumstances would have been different (with no impending doom) and Cue was coming back to visit after years away, then it might have been, "Hey, I used to play here. It looks like other kids have found it. I hope they have as much fun as I did." That would have been easier to take than, "I guess I'm going to be the last one to see it."
I was doing a qick scan of the last NP, since that was the one that was up and saw this:

partingLance wrote:

I really think the whole of Time stands well as an answer to the question "why do we need a space program"? I wonder if it was partially intended as such. There must be so much that we as a species don't know that we don't know, for no matter how hard we look we have just this one vantage point. Some of those things we'll likely wish we knew earlier!

ETA:
cellocgw wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:How do you ride a raft up a river?

The river's flowing upwards, because the rising sea1 is pushing up the riverbed2

Either tow ropes, as someone else posted, or else place a large bag of thiotimoline at the front with intent to dump it into the water. (but don't actually do so...)

Wow, kudos to anyone who gets that reference. First short story published by a guy who went on to publish a few more works. :wink:

"Thiotimoline! First postulated in 1950 by Amisov, or Azimuth, who may, possibly, never have existed...."

I'm going from memory as I haven't read the story in >25 years. Obviously some of it stayed with me, though. (That gag self-reference probably helped. Also, did Asimov do a hitch in the military, specifically something to do with artillery, either land-based or naval? I remember reading that as soon as his fellow grunts heard his name, or the word "azimuth," "Azimuth" became his Army, or Navy, nickname).

Asimov fan here. Thiotimoline was not Dr. A's first SF story. (He wrote it as an exercise in writing badly in the way PhD dissertations are supposed to be written, after spending years under Campbell, learning to write well.)
He was in the Army just after WWII and had been assigned to work on one of the post-war atomic blasts. (How he got out of it and discharged is in his auto-biographies. I don't have them in hand to quote. "It's Been a Good Life" is latest.)
However to be "googlish" (actually "Duck Duck Go-ish") about the short story:
From Isaac Asimov Home Page Short story Science Fiction Page; we have the following:

Marooned off Vesta (Mar 1939)
First Published In: Amazing Stories, March 1939, pp. 66-77
^This is the first story listed^

The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline (Mar 1948)
First Published In: Astounding Science Fiction, March 1948, pp. 120-125
^This is the 34th listing on that page^
Edit in to add: This is after he wrote "Nightfall" and "Ugly Little Boy" and several Robot stories.

Now I gues I'm going to have to backtrack to find out what some of this posts are about.
Last edited by pelrigg on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:50 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”