1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
b2bomberkrh
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:04 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:Quick skim-ketchup before coma:

At first, I thought the Helvetica Scenario means that all fonts in the world change to Helvetica. Which would be not nearly as scary as Comic Sans Scenario. :twisted:

Also, have you people really started the discussion about infinities again? :)


NO! Well, maybe kind of...ok, yes, but it isn't the same this time, dammit, I'm a doctor, not an engineer...ok, I'm both, but still...

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:06 am UTC

Prediction. They float out of the frame. The scene doesn't change except that a baobab floats in from the left. Pay me in cake if I'm right and in chocolate if I'm wrong.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

lgw
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lgw » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:08 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:Also, have you people really started the discussion about infinities again? :)


If you have an infinite set of Legos with '9' printed on each one, would they be able to take off from a treadmill ... :lol:
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

User avatar
NetWeasel
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:08 pm UTC
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:Also, have you people really started the discussion about infinities again? :)
Apparently, in some alternate universes, they have. :mrgreen:
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:16 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:You sneaky yappo, you... :P
Red Hal wrote:The raft is ready
The desperate journey starts
We wait, breath bated.

The haiku return
A breath of fresh air within
An impatient Time



A sea returning,
Reclaiming my land and home.
Shall I raft away?


The tide is turning
Excitement reaches a peak
The command is...run
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
jeffallen55
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:44 am UTC
Location: 1.01000^-9 ly from Château d'If

Blindpost from NP1217

Postby jeffallen55 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:16 am UTC

Blindpost from NP1217:

Just another thought, not sure if this has ever been brought up, but the number 40 has a great deal of significance in the Bible. Not least of which, of course, is the story of Noah's Ark. Just wondering if that factored into GLR's thought process.

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:36 am UTC

Darn, my prediction hasn't been proved right so far. Well, I did say "sometime soon," which could be stretched to include any number of newpix from now... :P

AluisioASG wrote:Missed one.
LeavONG.
Spoiler:
Image

Review-ninja'd.


Hey, you're back! What's the story, eh? Switching accounts, too much Outside, something else? You can't just walk out on us like that!
Image

User avatar
Wildhound
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:34 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Time.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Wildhound » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:38 am UTC

You know these hill people must be some truly nasty pieces of work.

They have clearly had direct and unpleasant dealings with the Cueganites based on Megan's whispered "They don't like us". Their lifestyle appears to incorporate wantonly dumping their waste into a river which flows into an inland sea. And finally they up sticks and leave without warning the Cueganites, potentially sentencing them to death.

I don't like to wish ill on anyone, but the hill people can go fuck themselves.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

User avatar
CasCat
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Re: 99.86%?

Postby CasCat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:42 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Missed one.
LeavONG.
Spoiler:
Image

Review-ninja'd.


Prodigal returns --
Let us shower him with Cake!
Welcome, welcome back!

Image
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: still ketchupping

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:44 am UTC

--schizo-post from NP1215--
Eternal Density wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Blindposting from 1199 to 1212 to point out the symmetry of the numbers :D
Yay I've caught up to my second signpost!
Still lots of talkong going ong. Megan quite the explainer :D
BTW did anyone see my Firefly Online related screenshot a while back?

Yes, I did see that.

I also, recently saw the trailer for The on-line multi-player game to be released in 2014. (I can't remember if it was on Buzzfeed or GeekAreSexy.) I've never played in one of those, but that looks like it would be worth a stroll through.

ETA
And I saw your answer to my question about your comment about my ONG post.
That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
rainycity1
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby rainycity1 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:46 am UTC

...and the brave little travellers set off...
"xkcd: Lowering workplace productivity since 2005!" - by lmjb1964

User avatar
Angelastic
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 am UTC
Location: .at (let's see what's through here!)
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:55 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The haiku return
A breath of fresh air within
An impatient Time

And the newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
that that's a haiku?

The next newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
there's some JavaScript?

The third newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
the image changes?

The fifth newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
there's an FAQ?

The sixth newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
there's no fourth newbie?

Then they ask about
finite possibilities
of plural Lego.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

User avatar
taixzo
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Location: The Present

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:57 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:Then they ask about
finite possibilities
of plural Lego.


Legoseseses.
Legoseseseseses.
Legoseseses.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Comments

Postby Davidy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:59 am UTC

Blindposted:

I'm not sure it means anything at this point but their dwellings more like Mongolian Gers that the typical Yurt. Yurts have free standing roof made from poles which are bent downwards where they meet the wall, while the Gers have straight roof poles and a central support. The Ger is a type of Yurt and both are usually covered with animal hides or felt, or more recently with fabric. Some have walls that are thatched or are woven plant material.

What was the purpose of the two recent blackouts? It wasn't night, they weren't in a cave/room/hole.

Some think that the Bible's "40" was more a reference to "many" than a specific time period.
Last edited by Davidy on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

frakhorsestaplers
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:00 am UTC

GoneONG
Image

User avatar
edo
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:05 pm UTC
Location: ~TrApPeD iN mY PhOnE~

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:01 am UTC

Kit. wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:I have been thinking about that. I wonder if they have enough packed supplies on the raft to construct another raft.

But they will need to cross a seariver! The hill is a local maximum.

Edit:
And I don't think the sharks will survive the fall.


If Sharknado! has taught us anything, it's that flying sharks are dangerous, whether they survive the fall or not.

And leggo my legogosesees's'!
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:02 am UTC

Davidy wrote:I'm not sure it means anything at this point but their dwellings more like Mongolian Gers that the typical Yurt. Yurts have free standing roof made from poles which are bent downwards where they meet the wall, while the Gers have straight roof poles and a central support. The Ger is a type of Yurt and both are usually covered with animal hides or felt, or more recently with fabric. Some have walls that are thatched or are woven plant material.

What was the purpose of the two recent blackouts? It wasn't night, they weren't in a cave/room/hole.

Some think that the Bible's "40" was more a reference to "many" than a specific time period.


I've heard that the "40 days and 40 nights" mentioned during the flood story is actually a jewish saying meaning "a very long time"

It might even have been in this thread - actually, wait no, I think it was in /r/todayilearned. Still relevant.

As for the purpose of the blackouts, perhaps to show time was passing quickly in-comic without weird jump-cuts? GLR may have a specific frame number in mind for some specific event...like 3141 for a great beanie celebration with pie being served!
Image

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:03 am UTC

Hoping to see the baobab (the devilish me, at least). Not hoping to see another great fading. A fade to black, especially.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
NetWeasel
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:08 pm UTC
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:06 am UTC

I can't help thinking of the Crimson Permanent Assurance...

Sail AWAAAAAYYYYY!!!

(Anyone want to try OTTifiying that?)

I'd like to ride a neat sand castle,
And sail upon the widning Beanie Sea....
Last edited by NetWeasel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

lgw
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lgw » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:08 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Then they ask about
finite possibilities
of plural Lego.


Legoseseses.
Legoseseseseses.
Legoseseses.


Image

Legoseseses, my precious

Spoiler:
Redundant, my precious!

Gollum.jpg
Gollum.jpg (16.23 KiB) Viewed 12574 times
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

User avatar
CameronCat
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:24 am UTC
Location: Elsewhere, Entirely, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby CameronCat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 am UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Sail AWAAAAAYYYYY!!!

(Anyone want to try OTTifiying that?)


No, but John Denver's version is apt:

SAIL AWAY
Sail away, sail away home
Sail away, till you are gone
You have so far to go
There's so much that you don't know

Dream away, see what you find, yea
Dream away, it's all in your mind
Things that you like to see
Things that you like to be

<snip>

We'll find a way
I know you can
We'll find a way
I give you my hand

We're on our way back home
We've been a long time gone

Sail away, sail away home
Sail away, sail away home yea
Sail away, sail away home
Sail away, sail away home yea
Sail away
Apprentice Curmudgeon by appointment to the Order of the Holy Contradiction
Knight Luminary and Second Prelate of the Proscenium
It's all related

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2845
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:26 am UTC

All this "Sail Away"-ing reminded me of another song. Not gonna ottify it, just gonna leave it here. It's quite abstract lyrically and doesn't even really make much sense within the concept album it's a part of anyway, so no reason for it not to be fitting here :P (Well, rivers are mentioned a lot, and the chorus begins with "Sail Away...") "Hyperdrive" - Devin Townsend.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:37 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Davidy wrote:I'm not sure it means anything at this point but their dwellings more like Mongolian Gers that the typical Yurt. Yurts have free standing roof made from poles which are bent downwards where they meet the wall, while the Gers have straight roof poles and a central support. The Ger is a type of Yurt and both are usually covered with animal hides or felt, or more recently with fabric. Some have walls that are thatched or are woven plant material.

What was the purpose of the two recent blackouts? It wasn't night, they weren't in a cave/room/hole.

Some think that the Bible's "40" was more a reference to "many" than a specific time period.


I've heard that the "40 days and 40 nights" mentioned during the flood story is actually a jewish saying meaning "a very long time"

It might even have been in this thread - actually, wait no, I think it was in /r/todayilearned. Still relevant.

As for the purpose of the blackouts, perhaps to show time was passing quickly in-comic without weird jump-cuts? GLR may have a specific frame number in mind for some specific event...like 3141 for a great beanie celebration with pie being served!


Perhaps there are, as Cuegan had informed Rosetta, about 40 of them, but when counted in total we shall find that there are exactly 42 of them.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
Pikrass
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Pikrass » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:40 am UTC

Gedeon wrote:Along with the large "freshwater" inflow from the Atlantic, some nasty sharks are being sucked into the Mediterranean. One lost shark, irritated and confused, roars like a lion and bites the raft. As the raft is sinking, they are thinking how they'd be better off with a bigger raft. They all drown and die. Nobody saves people on the hills, they also all die. Thus ends Time.

Or swallowed by a whale!

b2bomberkrh wrote:Focusing too much on one specific example is missing the point. The point the character, and I, was trying to make is that there are theoretical universes that are simply not consistent with the intelligent beings that occupy them. There isn't a universe anywhere with a person just like me having a bookshelf full of empty books, because I wouldn't have a bookshelf like that. Does such a universe exist because random quantum fluctuations make the books all go blank? And many more universes where only one of the books has blank pages? And many, many more universes where just one page gets blanked? And a huge majority of universes where nothing odd happens? It seems much more likely to me that there are deep, mysterious things that we don't yet understand about the relationship between conscious, intelligent beings and the physical and quantum mechanical universe, that would preclude "ridiculous" universes like that ever coming into existence.

Well, we didn't prove humans are not just overly complicated Turing machines. I don't know why *we* could wipe anything in this tree of possible futures. These "ridiculous" universes you describe are just really improbable ones, but that doesn't mean p=0. More that p=0.0000...1. There could be a chain of events, starting long from the past, that leads to a "ridiculous" world. And that adjective is by the way tightly tied with our perception as humans, which is quite limited.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Arky
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 7:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Arky » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:46 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

They're on a boat! They're on a boat! Everybody look at them, 'cause they're sailing on a boat!
They're on a boat, they're on a boat, take a good hard look at the Randallloving boat!

("On A Boat", The Lonely Island)
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:46 am UTC

Pikrass wrote:Well, we didn't prove humans are not just overly complicated Turing machines. I don't know why *we* could wipe anything in this tree of possible futures. These "ridiculous" universes you describe are just really improbable ones, but that doesn't mean p=0. More that p=0.0000...1. There could be a chain of events, starting long from the past, that leads to a "ridiculous" world. And that adjective is by the way tightly tied with our perception as humans, which is quite limited.


Not only our perception as humans, but our cultural perspective as well. There are a lot of things which seem really weird or unreasonable to westerners that might not seem so out of place to someone else. Bad example (but hopefully should help clarify my point): a universe where all the books are read left-to-right.
Image

User avatar
Charm Quark
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:07 pm UTC
Location: Connecticut

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Charm Quark » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:51 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Hoping to see the baobab (the devilish me, at least). Not hoping to see another great fading. A fade to black, especially.


If the baobabs truly know what they're doing they'll pump themselves full of air, interlock roots, and form a raft bobbing about halfway underwater. They'll drift along in this manner as the Mediterranean fills, picking up hedgemolpies and squirpies along the way. Eventually when the sea level stabilizes they drift ashore and take root right where the Cueganites have settled. Unfortunately the sudden influx of dozens of small mammals attracts several raptorcats, ravenously hungry from their long journey out of the basin, and when Cuegan goes out in search of food and fresh water they are quickly devoured by the lurking keyboards. Thus ends time.
Lost forever in time...

User avatar
DrSamCarter
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:13 pm UTC
Location: S 42° E 147°-ish

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:52 am UTC

Although I have been mostly lurking all this time, even lurking is starting to play havoc with real life. I am going to have to be strong and limit my engagement with the OTT. However, before I withdraw (to monitor only the OTC, and perhaps allow an occasional page or two of OTT but no ketchup or blitzing (I cannot allow myself to be sucked in)) I want to say thanks to all for the wonderful contributions: the filking OTTifications, the manips and outright artwork, the atmosphere, the cake, the molpies, the humour, the intelligence, etc., etc., etc. Continue to enjoy the ride and look after each other.

User avatar
CasCat
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby CasCat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:53 am UTC

Pole, pole, pole your barge
Quickly up the stream,
Molpity, molpity, molpity, molpity
Look, we've made a meme!

:mrgreen:
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2845
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:55 am UTC

Arky wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

They're on a boat! They're on a boat! Everybody look at them, 'cause they're sailing on a boat!
They're on a boat, they're on a boat, take a good hard look at the Randallloving boat!

("On A Boat", The Lonely Island)

Image Although shouldn't that be "Mustardchirpin' boat"? :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:00 am UTC

The ONG here
Image

ETA
schizo-blitzing: just saw the MONOMOLPY board. Cool job yappo. Will there be a vote on the pieces?
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
CasCat
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:42 am UTC

UpriverONG

Postby CasCat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Spoiler:
Image


I hate it when the preview doesn't tell me I'm ninja'd....
Last edited by CasCat on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5580
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Ninja'd by the ONG. And again by a ninja'd ONG :P

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Wow! The raft is quite a sight!
pelrigg wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:BTW did anyone see my Firefly Online related screenshot a while back?

Yes, I did see that.
I also, recently saw the trailer for The on-line multi-player game to be released in 2014. (I can't remember if it was on Buzzfeed or GeekAreSexy.) I've never played in one of those, but that looks like it would be worth a stroll through.
Yes, that's what the screenshot is of (folks can already reserve usernames for that game).

(Redundant for people who saw the pic already:)
Spoiler:
Image
People who unnecessarily look at redundant images will be thrown to the Riversmall
Image
smallsmall
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

melmel
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:24 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby melmel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:02 am UTC

Am I the only one who suddenly felt like this is reminiscent of Washington crossing the Delaware?

User avatar
dm214
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby dm214 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:05 am UTC

Back to the present. Almost forgot tomorrow has already arrived.
If the subject rate keeps going up, I'll be living a song by Saturday.

The following posts deserve answers.

Eliram wrote:I really really think that the OTT needs a voting/+1/star thingy for individual posts (replies). This could help a lot with the blog project and will also help speedy blitzers who could read (if they so wish) only the starred posts.
This will increase visibility for things like the (awesome) monopoly, time world painting, clever ramp+LaPetite prediction image and other posts that should not drown in the flood of posts which is the OTT.

I think some kind of script could be useful. Where are our scripters?

Kit. wrote:The hill is a local maximum.

Don't you dare reminding me of my Calculus Ⅰ exam from just a few hours ago.
I read, I summarize, I bring cakes. I likely won't answer if you call.

User avatar
Wnderer
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Wnderer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:06 am UTC

melmel wrote:Am I the only one who suddenly felt like this is reminiscent of Washington crossing the Delaware?


No. I thought the same thing.

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2845
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:07 am UTC

That is one neat raft!

Soundtrack thoughts - this whole raft rescue sequence seems to be the major uplifting triumphant moment in the story, so needs appropriate music. Here's an older piece of mine that's along the lines I'm thinking.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6859
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:12 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Here's an older piece of mine that's along the lines I'm thinking.
That is one neat song!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Arky
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 7:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Arky » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:14 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Arky wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

They're on a boat! They're on a boat! Everybody look at them, 'cause they're sailing on a boat!
They're on a boat, they're on a boat, take a good hard look at the Randallloving boat!

("On A Boat", The Lonely Island)

Image Although shouldn't that be "Mustardchirpin' boat"? :P


Probably.

Oh, and I just saw the Monomolpy board and that's got to be one of my favourite artifacts of the OTT (the original We Love The Thread Of Time is #1 forever and always, of course).
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

User avatar
b2bomberkrh
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:17 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Pikrass wrote:Well, we didn't prove humans are not just overly complicated Turing machines. I don't know why *we* could wipe anything in this tree of possible futures. These "ridiculous" universes you describe are just really improbable ones, but that doesn't mean p=0. More that p=0.0000...1. There could be a chain of events, starting long from the past, that leads to a "ridiculous" world. And that adjective is by the way tightly tied with our perception as humans, which is quite limited.


Not only our perception as humans, but our cultural perspective as well. There are a lot of things which seem really weird or unreasonable to westerners that might not seem so out of place to someone else. Bad example (but hopefully should help clarify my point): a universe where all the books are read left-to-right.


I wasn't trying to start a debate, and I'm not going to argue it further. I'm just going to repeat my earlier encouragement that you read "The Emperor's New Mind" by Roger Penrose. We are a long, long way from proving that the human mind is subject to the laws of quantum mechanics.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests