1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:19 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:FloatONG ONG
Spoiler:

Hmm, it seems the raft has hit some bank or a rock or somesuch. PUSH!
Alt text is still RUN!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:24 am UTC

bachaddict wrote:Hi all! have finally got around to delurking. (But I shall relurk immediately) I have been reading the OTC since the beginning of Time, but only lurking the OTT from Time to Time. Todip I was thinking about asking What If questions about the OTC, when I had a scary thought: What If the OTC is simply the leadup to a What If question about, say, the Strait of Gibraltar getting blocked? :shock: Not very likely seeing how long it has been running, but I had to share.

Hello, bachaddict! It's definitely possible, especially when you take into account What Ifs #53 and #54, Drain the Oceans, which certainly seem RELATED to the events in the OTC. But if anything I would guess that it would be GLR's work on the OTC that would be more likely to engender various spin-off What Ifs, rather than the OTC itself being nothing but a lead-up to a new What If. Of course, I might be biased towards the OTC just a teeny tiny riverish bit. :wink:

ETA:
Optional decree:
Add a haiku to your post
Because I like those.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

philip1201

Postby philip1201 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:35 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Spoiler:
Pfhorrest wrote:
ahecht wrote:
philip1201 wrote:It is a simple physical fact that every conceivable combination of occupations of quantum fields in 4D spacetime has a finite non-zero probability within the laws of physics, and that includes groups of bosons forming neural nets which encode the belief that library books are supposed to be empty.

That is one possible universe in the multiverse, but what about the universe where the people are exactly like us, but the books are empty.

As you eliminated causal (i.e. statistically likely) explanations for how the books ended up empty, you approach the eventual limit of "the books got empty by, against unfathomable odds, all the molecules of the ink in all of the books spontaneously undergoing the right series of quantum fluctuations to dissolve/decay/whatever causes that kind of ink to fade, thus blanking the books". Or, maybe the real limit is more like "quantum fields in empty space spontaneously converged, against even more unfathomable odds, to create a planet on which is a library full of blank books and people with false memories who have no idea why there is a library of blank books".

The problem to be solved is exactly the same as this one: You discover that there is a library full of blank books somewhere. How did that get there like that? There are many possible explanations, each with a different likelihood of being true. There are more universes where the more likely explanations occurred (e.g. someone rich guy thought it would be a funny prank present for his bookworm little brother, maybe?) than where the less likely explanations occurred (e.g. all the ink spontaneously decayed due to the exact right series of quantum fluctuations in its constituent molecules, atoms, etc).

Focusing too much on one specific example is missing the point. The point the character, and I, was trying to make is that there are theoretical universes that are simply not consistent with the intelligent beings that occupy them. There isn't a universe anywhere with a person just like me having a bookshelf full of empty books, because I wouldn't have a bookshelf like that. Does such a universe exist because random quantum fluctuations make the books all go blank? And many more universes where only one of the books has blank pages? And many, many more universes where just one page gets blanked? And a huge majority of universes where nothing odd happens? It seems much more likely to me that there are deep, mysterious things that we don't yet understand about the relationship between conscious, intelligent beings and the physical and quantum mechanical universe, that would preclude "ridiculous" universes like that ever coming into existence.

Why do you believe ridiculous universes don't/can't exist? What kind of evidence do you have which causes you to dismiss something which is only supposed to happen once every googolplexian^googolplexian years at most, especially when there are an actually statistically significant amount of inconsistencies between human beliefs and the environment caused by imperfect brain architectureex? Why do you eschew reductionism and posit an exception in the laws of physics for specific low-entropic slabs of meat (i.e. human brains/minds) when there can be no evidence for that exception because insanity is at least 10^100^100 times more likely than a manifestation of a coherent, persistent macroscopic quantum phenomenon according to generally accepted science? Or are you so far gone that you actually believe your explanation to be Occam-simpler?

Human sapience doesn't work through mysterious magic, it's a neural net computer which receives input through the senses and has physical electro-chemical discharges travel through the structure which are what thoughts are made of. There is interaction between the human mind and the physical world, not through deep ineffable relationships, but though nerves and senses and hormones. Humans are "inconsistent" with libraries of empty books not because intelligence and empty books are at some deep level incompatible, but because humans build libraries to put texts in them using a purely physical decision-making process. If physics provides other mechanisms for humans and libraries to co-exist, they will co-exist in some alternate universe through those mechanisms.

ex e.g. "I swear I put my keys on the desk" - human error, or quantum fluctuations moving the keys around?

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:37 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
rvloon wrote:When I look at the mirrored Beanish, it almost seems like English. I don't remember the context of all the Beanish, but doesn't the word Pant(h)er seem to be present? <snip>

Whoa. I totally see that. I'm suddenly unable to read the fifth mirrored line as anything but "panther salve." Coincidence? Maybe...

I read it as 'panther smite u?'

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:05 am UTC

OofONG

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:17 am UTC

O GLR they are all going to die!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

mk_chem

Postby mk_chem » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:20 am UTC

@Neil: and thus ends time?

I hope they manage to get their raft uphill against the river. they don't want to end up on the sea.

(though the water should push up into the river at the mouth.)

papal decree:

Floating down rivers
On a sandcastle-lifeboat.
"Oof.", she said. Too fast?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:21 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:O GLR they are all going to die!

Yes. So are we, eventually (as you well know). It's only a matter of Time. :wink:

It looks like they ran aground on something, perhaps land. I think that might be a stump over there...

Is it the stump of
A tree that we recognize?
The neat tree? Hope not...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:25 am UTC

mk_chem wrote:@Neil: and thus ends time?

Nope, death doesn't end anything. It changes perspective, but doesn't end anything.

he/him/his

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:31 am UTC

What they just hit:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:33 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:What they just hit:
Spoiler:

Yes, that might be it. Well found!

he/him/his

Sheldon

Postby Sheldon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:35 am UTC

I would comment on
the 'oof' but I will fail the
2 papal decree
;-)

higgs-boson

Re: UpriverONG

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:36 am UTC

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:

I hate it when the preview doesn't tell me I'm ninja'd....

As long as the ONGs is redacted you'd probably not be ninja'd, anyway. :)

What about combining ONGing with something witty about the image, not just being the one who's on firstabbot.

abbotYes.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:40 am UTC

schwartzbewithyou wrote:I can't help but think they are just gearing up to burst into kenmelken's 'One Pix More' rendition what with the raft and flags and all!

Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:
--------

Now, I must go a-coma again, but I have something special for you all: a new Les Mis ottifiparotimeodyfilk! Now, go easy on me, as this is only my second song here (the other being my short "Wonderful thing about Molpies," so this is my first attempt at something actually substantial). My philosophy here was, the less one has to change the better, so I tried to make subtle contextual changes that redirected other unaltered pieces of the source text. Anyway, the following is a crazy mess, but so is the OTT and OTC, so that's kinda what I was trying to capture anyway. Behold...

One Pix More
based on "One Day More" from Les Miserables
Note: because there are so many shifting characters and overlapping pieces in this one, I've also included in parenthesis which original characters from the play correspond to the given lyrics. Here is a link to the original lyrics, divided in exactly the same way as these are here.
[spoiler]MSCHA (Valjean)
One pix more!
Another pix, another destiny.
Their never-ending quest to solve the Sea;
The Raptor-cat, strong and sublime,
Will surely come a second time.
One pix more!

CUEBALL (Marius)
I’m glad we both survived today.
How could I live if you’d not thwapped it?

CHRONOSDRAGON (Valjean)
One pix more.

CUEBALL & MEGAN (Marius & Cosette)
Tomorrow we could reach the top
(And then the Wiki will recap it).

LA PETITE (Eponine)
One more day all on my own.

Will there be folks at the top?

LA PETITE (Eponine)
One more day by the Sandcastle.

I was drawn to be with you.

LA PETITE (Eponine)
What my life's like: they don't know!

And I swear I’ll protect you!

LA PETITE (Eponine)
'Cuz they never saw me here!

Epic violins and key change!

BLUECRAB (Enjolras)
Three full pages full of math!

HAL9000 (Marius)
Better than those dumb decrees!

JJJDAVIDSON (Enjolras)
How do we get so off-topic?

JOVIALBARD (Marius)
Choose an empire, not a pope!

STRATPLAYER (Enjolras)
See the filks begin to form

HES (Marius)
Do I coma? Do I dare?

UCIM (Enjolras)
Will you wait for it with me?

ALL
The time is now, the ONG is here!

K.BOOKBINDER (Valjean)
One pix more!

RAZOR AGENT LMJB1964 (Javert)
One more pix to hunt down zombies,
We will nip them in the bud!
We will relocate the raptors,
They won’t feast upon our blood!

VALARYA (Valjean)
Cupcakes more!

BLITZGIRL & TAIXZO (Thenardiers)
Watch 'em as they lurk,
Posting from the past,
Give ‘em all a cheer
When they catch up at last!
Never do we skip,
Everything we touch
We are the true Blitzers
So we don’t miss much!

2 Groups: RANDALLVERSISTS & AFRICANISTS
1: This pic proves it’s all a fiction!

2: Too specific snakes and trees!

1: Baobabs and squirrels don’t match

2: Don’t forget the leopard cat!

1: There's a new world called Cassini

2: It’s our SAME world—Africa!

ALL
Do you hear the Yappo sing?

KENMELKEN (Marius)
My place is here, I wait with you!

BUFFYGIRL (Valjean)
One hat more!

Epic finale key change and overlapping reprises/variations of the earlier sections:

CUEGAN (Marius & Cosette)
I’m glad that we survived today.

LA PETITE (Eponine)
One more day all on my own!

CUEBALL (Marius)
How could I live if you’d not thwapped it?

ETERNAL DENSITY (Javert)
Cue & Megan are our heroes
We will follow where they go
We will learn their little Secrets,
We will know the things they know.

RULE110 (Valjean)
One pix more!

Tomorrow we could reach the top

LA PETITE (Eponine)
What my life's like--they don't know!

PATZER (Marius & Cosette)
And then the Wiki will recap it!

RAZOR AGENT LMJB1964 (Javert)
One more pix to hunt down zombies,
We will nip them in the bud!
We will relocate the raptors!

BLITZGIRL & TAIXZO (Thenardiers)
Watch 'em as they lurk,
Posting from the past,
Give ‘em all a cheer
When they catch up at last!

KIERYN (Valjean)
Each newpix watch the OTC
Each newpix write the OTT

ALL
Each newpix we'll discover
What the one true author has in store!
One more frame
One more pix
Oooooone piiiiiiiix mooooooooooooore!
Link to youtube of original.

Yay!!!! I was tired and kinda crabby after a rough rehearsal for a show that opens tomorrow, a little musical called Les Miserables. And there's this undercurrent (ha!) of sadness in the OTT and the OTC. But then I saw this and it completely turned my mood around. Thanks for quoting it, schwatzbewithyou! kenmelken did a fantastic job, and of course I'm excited that I have a verse! This is what I'll be singing down in the pit while the folks on stage are going on about revolutions and such.

NoMouse wrote:<snip>
Also, have you people really started the discussion about infinities again? :)

Right? They're trying to prove that a discussion on the OTT can go on infinitely long, apparently. :twisted:

Angelastic wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The haiku return
A breath of fresh air within
An impatient Time

Spoiler:
And the newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
that that's a haiku?

The next newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
there's some JavaScript?

The third newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
the image changes?

The fifth newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
there's an FAQ?

The sixth newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
there's no fourth newbie?

Then they ask about
finite possibilities
of plural Lego.

I'm worried--what happened to the fourth newbie?

DrSamCarter wrote:Although I have been mostly lurking all this time, even lurking is starting to play havoc with real life. I am going to have to be strong and limit my engagement with the OTT. However, before I withdraw (to monitor only the OTC, and perhaps allow an occasional page or two of OTT but no ketchup or blitzing (I cannot allow myself to be sucked in)) I want to say thanks to all for the wonderful contributions: the filking OTTifications, the manips and outright artwork, the atmosphere, the cake, the molpies, the humour, the intelligence, etc., etc., etc. Continue to enjoy the ride and look after each other.

I feel ya. Good luck on the Outside, and I hope we'll see you again!

saralonde wrote:
Eliram wrote:IMO Hairdo/Rosetta's voice could/should be layered with multiple channels, as is the visual representation of the text. The main channel should be the loudest one, back channels can include the grey words, static noise (which gets louder in the black spots) and/or a reversed version of the recording with lower volume.

Newb suggestion, but what if Rosetta was voiced by one of the non-English speakers? Might lend an air of authenticity, as well as give those members a chance they wouldn't otherwise be likely to have?

Hi, Saralonde! Yes, someone else had that suggestion, and it makes sense. I imagine there will be an "audition" process like for C&M. It might be tricky for anyone, non-English speaker or not, to give a verbal representation of how GLR drew her dialogue.

yappobiscuits wrote:Redundant (no kitty)
Spoiler:
HA! This time it was a double bluff and there ACTUALLY IS NO KITTY! I am so cruel to you all...
DSC00208.JPG

Damn you, yappo! I expected a kitty!

I loved that music you posted, btw.

jeffallen55 wrote:Blindpost from NP1225:

I'm never going to finish all of this ketchup. Just wanted to express a couple thoughts on the OTVO. For some reason, when I first started thinking of Rosetta's voice wayyy back when she first appeared, I had an image of someone speaking through wax paper. But I think the best way to do it, to make it sound broken and distorted, would be to take a page from Twin Peaks and have her speak backwards (cf. the Dwarf in the famous Cooper's Dream sequence seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjeRCsoufII). I'm going to play around with an example if I ever make it back to the present.

No, not the dwarf from Twin Peaks! That was creepy! Although Megan did say Rosetta was creepy...hmm, were any of those Beanies carrying around a log?

And I really liked the recording you did! Might be too low for Rosetta, but I liked the accent.

buffygirl wrote:BLINDPOSTING {from 1228 of 1230}!

Bunches of post-replies that I have saved via the fabulous (how is it that the OTC has not offered that term for our dictionary yet???) Quote Script that ... erm ... someone awesome provided many many NP's ago! (shoot, sorry, don't even recall where I got it -- but thankyou!!)

But -- gotta molpy down

PS - will be outta town Thurs thru Tues. Will most certainly check in to see how it's all progressing with Megball though!!

It was Pikrass, I believe, no? It really is a fabulous tool.
Have a good trip! See you soon, I hope!

Eutychus wrote:Just telling you all I'm still here (occasionally)

Hi, Eutychus! :)

Oh, man, I should have coma'd long ago. I am going to be an tired molpy tomorrow. So, molpy down!
Spoiler:
Sorry, too tired to post a cute molpy. You'll just have to use your imagination.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:43 am UTC

The very right side
Of the newpix appears to
Be sloping upward

I take this as some
Evidence of solid ground
Rather than more waves

But, as with all things,
I could well be mistaken
I will Wait for it.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:53 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The very right side
Of the newpix appears to
Be sloping upward

I take this as some
Evidence of solid ground
Rather than more waves

But, as with all things,
I could well be mistaken
I will Wait for it.

A quick check indicates that it's also not going up and down. It's simply up. Thus it doesn't appear to be a wave. If I connect that with the fact that they seem to have ran into an obstacle I do guess that this is the obstacle.
It could also be a submerged rock. I remember that they tend to create a "standing wave" in fast flowing water. The water flows over the rock. After the rock it dips down.
So it could still be Latent's Rock.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:01 am UTC

Cueball is amusONG:

I don't know if it was intentional, but this is the first chuckle I've had at a newpix in a while.
Silly, but practical on a raftcastle that can't really turn on demand. I'm not sure if he is pointing to the side nearest us or the side furthest away, though.

I should note that the
far right slope is still static*
Must be solid ground

*though the debris next to it has changed

(Edits to fulfill own decree, heh.)
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:11 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:09 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Cueball is amusONG:

Spoiler:

I don't know if it was intentional, but this is the first chuckle I've had at a newpix in a while.
Silly, but practical on a raft that can't really turn on demand. I'm not sure if he is pointing to the side nearest us or the side furthest away, though.
I should note that the slope on the far right is still static.

So, they need propelling + steering. Not much wind there according to the flags, so a sail might not be the right solution for a "RUN" situation.
Any ideas?
It's about time.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:10 am UTC

Cueball's solution to make sure you're always going forward: Assign the name front to whichever side faces the direction your currently traveling. Brilliant system that never fails as long as you keep moving.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 am UTC

Eliram wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Cueball is amusONG:

Spoiler:

Silly, but practical on a raft that can't really turn on demand. I'm not sure if he is pointing to the side nearest us or the side furthest away, though.
I should note that the slope on the far right is still static.

So, they need propelling + steering. Not much wind there according to the flags, so a sail might not be the right solution for a "RUN" situation.
Any ideas?

They might have planks that are currently used for the raft but could be used to make oars. Do they know how that works?
Queball made me LOL to.
Prediction: Megan chuckles in the next frame.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 am UTC

Eliram wrote:<snip>Not much wind there according to the flags, so a sail might not be the right solution for a "RUN" situation.

Might it be that the
Flags are rebounding from the
Impact, like the raft?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Latent22

Re: Blindpost from NP1225

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 am UTC

jeffallen55 wrote:
jeffallen55 wrote:Blindpost from NP1225:For some reason, when I first started thinking of Rosetta's voice wayyy back when she first appeared, I had an image of someone speaking through wax paper. But I think the best way to do it, to make it sound broken and distorted, would be to take a page from Twin Peaks and have her speak backwards (cf. the Dwarf in the famous Cooper's Dream sequence seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjeRCsoufII). I'm going to play around with an example if I ever make it back to the present.

I uploaded a really terrible recording of "Whence have you traveled here?" http://vocaroo.com/i/s00QL7PAOdXa just to give an example. Obviously my voice doesn't fit Rosetta's, and I don't think I could even attempt it in falsetto. It's extremely hard to do. Although it would be significantly easier for those who actually have a microphone hooked up to their computer and real audio editing software.

In other news, gotta molpy down.
Spoiler:

Yeah interesting Idea! Sounds quite interesting and harder to understand which is the goal I guess. Would love to hear it with a female voice I guess.

So I take it to do this we would speak the lines then reverse the direction and listen to the output. Then get the voice actor to speak close to what the reversed output sounds like and then reverse that and it will sound sort of like English but hard to understand and weird right?

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:23 am UTC

It is possible
but the composite movement
of flag, raft and waves

makes definitive
answers to your flag query
near impossible.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:28 am UTC

You know it's funny BlitzGirl every time I see your post count I think of a year. We naturally associate all sorts of things with numbers that match up with recent years it seems. And then your post count jumps to the next number and then new things pop into your head that you associate with that new number.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:30 am UTC

eclair ketchup.jpg
Whoa, that was some ketchup1, or maybe a blitz10. Anyway, I returned from the OutsideH after my trip to the Champs-Élysées7,3, and I'm back in the present. Image
BTW, shortly after my blindpost, someone (I don't remember who) complained about the unrelated sports updates. I hope my photos weren't too annoying, I just felt that they were, if maybe OTC-off-topic, at least OTT-on-topic.

Seaish wall of replies, grouped by topics and spoilered:

@doctorray, re : baby-OTTer
Spoiler:
doctorray wrote:De-lurking to let y'all know that my wife went into labor 10 days ago and my new son was born right before the journey to Rosetta began. It's been a wild week on both the OTC and "new child" fronts. We're conveniently awake for feeding during the oncoming flood. Maybe I have a "one true child"? Hmm...

Re-lurking!

Congratulations!!!
Development of the OTC:
Spoiler:
Wow, the story is really running! I'll just quote two posts that probably sum up best what I thought when all the action unfolded in front of me:
BlitzGirl wrote:
LaPetite SPEAKS!

And she says "neat."
libra wrote:So the sandcastle, on which they spent so much time and so much love, turns up and saves the day.

Scuse me. Something in my eye.
Questions about the OTC:
Spoiler:
NoMouse wrote:
Gedeon wrote:DangerONG

It seems like Cueganites are not much versed in making stuff.

Ok, I don't get it. If they are "up there", what's the problem? They can go for them while they are still escaping the rising... oh wait, I see. They are truly on a hill, aren't they? It will become an island soon, if it isn't already, am I getting it right?

I was thinking about that, too. Earlier, when someone posted the great map of the sea floor, we thought that the hills of the hill people might be some of the small hills (Félibres hills or La Renaixenca Hills) which are in our time below sea1 level, and hence might turn out as a trap for the Forty (or the Twenty that are there at the moment, as we know now), since they're only local maxima. However, when I look back at the shortcut Cuegan took while returning to their home, they pretty much ran downwards all the time. I know, we didn't see the whole landscape they traversed, but I think we agreed (ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball) that things we don't see are not important for the story. So I hope that the Twenty on the float "only" have to rescue the Twenty in the hills from the rising sea1; 8? not so sure, but not from the more pressing danger of drowning immediately. How do all y'all see that?

ucim wrote:Here's one thing that's been bugging me for a long time. "The sea can do what it wants - it's the sea." What is it that the sea had been doing in the past that makes it seem to have such arbitrary and capricious powers? Seems to me it's always been calm, steady and relatively safe, though not very tasty.

That's actually a good question I don't remember seeing any speculations about. Is it just because it's pretty big, and probably knows what it's doing?
I encountered many witty comments during my ketchup, I smiled a lot, I sometimes literally lol'd. I just want to cite one that really nailed it for me:
Spoiler:
Megan wrote:We're going to do something that may never have been done before.
mindonner wrote:She could be right though. The chances of anyone having previously floated out of the re-filling Med on a sandcastle are pretty small.
@ucim, re : new AotC chapter
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
Act 2, scene 1
<snip>

7, brilliant again! Favourite line:
the First Cleric wrote:If we're supposed to run, I'm running for Pope.
@yappobiscuits: Awefulsome Monomolpy! 4!

And then, there was a burst of ottification creativity. You xuys are all amazing!
Spoiler:
@mscha: 4, although I spotted an inexcusable case of heresy:
mscha wrote:God's gonna trouble the water, yeah
Bring the comfy chair and the chocolate! (These might be useful during a rough float ride, too.)

@Arky: Image And then there were two more!

@rvloon: Also three ottifications! The OTT anthem was especially epic.

@BytEfLUSh: 4! I liked it, and since English is not my first language, too, I know how difficult such an ottification can be!

@taixzo: 7!

@Pfhorrest: 3!

@yappobiscuits: 4! We definitely need more adjectives.

@CasCat: 2, but 4!

There were more ottifications which I can't recall now. But I read them all, liked them all!
Returning OTTers:
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:Oh dear, I'm not doing a very good job of lurking. :)

And I'm glad about it, your posts are always a pleasure to read! Welcome back! And welcome back, RobIrr!
@buffygirl: Have a nice trip!

ETA for the mome:

My ketchup is done.
55 newpages long.
That was quite a ride.
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:32 am UTC

Just like Washington
Crossing the Delaware wide...
Except for the "oof".
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:34 am UTC

Can't help but wonder
With all the water around
Where will they all pee?

Ronald
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:35 am UTC

Thank you for answers
(Or non-answers) given in
Haiku form, Red Hal!

Latent22 wrote:You know it's funny BlitzGirl every time I see your post count I think of a year. We naturally associate all sorts of things with numbers that match up with recent years it seems. And then your post count jumps to the next number and then new things pop into your head that you associate with that new number.

1950, here I come! :mrgreen:

(And Image at ggh's haiku. But who knows, maybe Washington had an "oof" moment, too!)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:39 am UTC

rvloon wrote:Can't help but wonder
With all the water around
Where will they all pee?

Ronald

Maybe that is what steam bottles are for.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:41 am UTC

foilman wrote:OofONG
Spoiler:

Does anyone else
think that Megan's head looks quite
small in this newpix?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:01 am UTC

Seen somethONG

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:02 am UTC

Prediction: They just sighted the Twenty. (The Other Twenty, that is).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:02 am UTC

I'll bet that they just spotted the rest of their group.

Edit: Ninjaed!
Last edited by Lokiparts on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:03 am UTC

I've got to page 555. Just 7 pages to go until the NewPage of the Beast.

Note to self: Don't post around ONG-time, for fear you may see the ONG. Oh well.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:04 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Prediction: They just sighted the Twenty. (The Other Twenty, that is).

Not in that direction, I think.

More likely to be a small 100m high wall of water descending on them at 50km/h - flipping the raft. Thus ends timeNB.

NB This predicting the end of time thing is addictive!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:06 am UTC

saralonde wrote:
Eliram wrote:IMO Hairdo/Rosetta's voice could/should be layered with multiple channels, as is the visual representation of the text. The main channel should be the loudest one, back channels can include the grey words, static noise (which gets louder in the black spots) and/or a reversed version of the recording with lower volume.

Newb suggestion, but what if Rosetta was voiced by one of the non-English speakers? Might lend an air of authenticity, as well as give those members a chance they wouldn't otherwise be likely to have?

Blindpost while ketchupping and throwing first-post forward. Welcome, Saralonde! (And I like your suggestion; I suggested something similar. :) )
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

JGeezer

Postby JGeezer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:06 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Prediction: They just sighted the Twenty. (The Other Twenty, that is).

But he's pointing behind them - could be a Randallawful amount of water coming... :shock:

[Argh, Ninja'd by DavidRa!]
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:12 am UTC

JGeezer wrote:

But he's pointing behind them - could be a Randallawful amount of water coming... :shock:

I wonder why noone mentioned They Might Be Giant's Flood yet. Seems appropriate.

Also,
Spoiler:
and
Spoiler:

Time: just add Water.

Ronald
Last edited by rvloon on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:14 am UTC

Maybe it's another boat. They might not have been the only tribe that got missed.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:17 am UTC

My guess is that they've spotted some of the Hill People stranded on an island and are going to rescue them, thus resolving all tensions between the two tribes.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”