1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kasmeneo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kasmeneo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:18 am UTC

DavidRa wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Prediction: They just sighted the Twenty. (The Other Twenty, that is).

Not in that direction, I think.

More likely to be a small 100m high wall of water descending on them at 50km/h - flipping the raft. Thus ends timeNB.

NB This predicting the end of time thing is addictive!

On a more optimistic note, it could also be the tops of the Wow Baobabs.
It's a bit hard to judge directions. Looks like he's pointing half sideways, not straight left (i.e. behind).
It's cooler up here.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:19 am UTC

DavidRa wrote:NB This predicting the end of time thing is addictive!

Yep, that it is.

My prediction for the next frame:
Megan wrote:Oh chirp.

OO, Pope.
I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1117

Postby azule » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:21 am UTC

@Caswallon - Good job on the in castle/outer castle overlay manip.
@buffygirl::voice - Very animated! #2 was a bit better fit. #3 was interesting for comparison. I guess that's a hard line as both bg's had trouble with it.
Kudos, Megan...I mean, lmjb::voice. Seems just about right.
@ChronosDragon::voice - good American voice. heh :D

It sucks being stuck in the past during the linguistic era AND the musical project era. Those are some of my favs. :( I'm trying to ketchup before bugging you guys too much on things already resolved. I see that the voice thing has turned into a vote. If I make it far enough and am confident enough, I may submit a copy of mine own (*sigh* regardless of possibility of usefulness).

Here's an idea for yappo's soundtrack. For LaPetite's Theme, I think it would be cool, as it's mostly during the fading, to have whatever sound you have slowly, not fade, but lose bass and get all trebly. Static noises would rise in volume. The basic idea here is a transition to an old phonograph recording. Maybe with an end note fade leaving nothing but a quiet static (that really does fade out).

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

time burglar

Postby time burglar » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:21 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Cueball's solution to make sure you're always going forward: Assign the name front to whichever side faces the direction your currently traveling. Brilliant system that never fails as long as you keep moving.

Prediction: The raft stops moving. Cueball tries to work out which way is forward and divides by zero. Thus ends time.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:23 am UTC

Prediction: They pick up all the molpies they find along the way. Then we get to guess "Who Sank The Boat"

Also surprised we havn't seen the title text change(again). What if they havn't even begun running and this is just the beggining of some greater apocalyptic event.
Suggestions for what it could have been changed to that I thought of while reading peoples comments and Ketchupping:
Time To Go
Set Sail
Sail Away
Don't Sink
She's Back!

My Preditions For possible future changes
Stop Running
Safety Reached
You Won The Game
You Have Waited
THE END
Last edited by adnapemit on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:27 am UTC

adnapemit wrote:Prediction: They pick up all the molpies they find along the way. Then we get to guess "Who Sank The Boat"

Also surprised we haven't seen the title text change. What if they haven't even begun running and this is just the beginning of some greater apocalyptic event.
Suggestions for what it could have been changed to that I thought of while reading peoples comments and Ketchupping:
Time To Go
Set Sail
Sail Away
Don't Sink
She's Back!

My Predictions For possible future changes
Stop Running
Safety Reached
You Won The Game
You Have Waited
THE END

I think that Randal made it "..." mainly to check if we would see it. Once we did he came up with "RUN.". The fact that "..." is also a way of indicating that there is a loss of speech (due to the momentous impact of Hairdo's words) not withstanding.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:34 am UTC

I agree it's more a sideways point than a backwards point; hard to draw three dimensions with stickfigures...

Oh, and per pope decree, check out CJ Cherryh's "Foreigner" series.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:35 am UTC

Wow, you guys, you're almost on page 1234! Which is a brillulous number! I'm so excited I'm messing up positive adjectives!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:39 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:Wow, you guys, you're almost on page 1234! Which is a brillulous number! I'm so excited I'm messing up positive adjectives!

Happy 400 TheMinim. And welcome back. Wondered where you'd wandered off to.
Spoiler:
decorated-cake-400x278.jpg
decorated-cake-400x278.jpg (50.85 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:42 am UTC

time burglar wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Cueball's solution to make sure you're always going forward: Assign the name front to whichever side faces the direction your currently traveling. Brilliant system that never fails as long as you keep moving.

Prediction: The raft stops moving. Cueball tries to work out which way is forward and divides by zero. Thus ends time.

Haha, now I totally imagine something like this:
Spoiler:
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:44 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I think that Randal made it "..." mainly to check if we would see it. Once we did he came up with "RUN.". The fact that "..." is also a way of indicating that there is a loss of speech (due to the momentous impact of Hairdo's words) not withstanding.

I have an image in my mind something more like the stereotypical Army Sergeant Major yelling, "ATTTTTENNNNN... wait for it!...SHUN" - or race-starter-person, "On your mark,... get set,... WAIT FOR IT!... RUN!"

ETADP:
NoMouse wrote:
Spoiler:

No, no, no! I said the bottom of the Marianas Trench!
Last edited by mikro2nd on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 am UTC

This is a not unusual move. You might say it would be unwise to raise the allowable pesticide levels in crops just because the crops are too impacted. But here you go. And this is neither a problem known only in the U.S., nor is it the real problem (the real problem is that the allowed amount is usually per chemical agent - sometimes more than two dozens are found in one control sample).
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:Why does all of the interesting stuff have to happen during times that I'm away?

The apocalypse will come when Time ends, because I will go beserk and cause an apocalypse.

Stop whining, you've got 400 posts!

...Wait... It's me, isn't it?

Cake.

Spoiler:

This post will make it 401, but that's okay.

*RUNs*
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:57 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Why does all of the interesting stuff have to happen during times that I'm away?

The apocalypse will come when Time ends, because I will go beserk and cause an apocalypse.

Stop whining, you've got 400 posts!

...Wait... It's me, isn't it?

Cake.

Spoiler:

This post will make it 401, but that's okay.

*RUNs*

Welcome back Minim and Corinne. Was the past interesting? Did you see all you wanted to see?

he/him/his

HES

HMS Ketchup

Postby HES » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:57 am UTC

dm214 wrote:Don't you dare reminding me of my Calculus Ⅰ exam from just a few hours ago.

Calculus I? I'm sorry, you ain't seen nothing yet

yappobiscuits wrote:That is one neat raft!

Soundtrack thoughts - this whole raft rescue sequence seems to be the major uplifting triumphant moment in the story, so needs appropriate music. Here's an older piece of mine that's along the lines I'm thinking.

More shameless self promotion I see :P (fitting piece though)

rvloon wrote:When I look at the mirrored Beanish, it almost seems like English. I don't remember the context of all the Beanish, but doesn't the word Pant(h)er seem to be present? Couldn't that refer to Lucky? There are other words like 'water' that actually look like the word water. So question is whether we are just not making things a little bit more difficult than they have to be, or whether this is just wistful thinking.

Ronald

Cannot unsee. How did we miss this in the early translation stages? I'm sure people reversed some of it.

Neil_Boekend wrote:I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

There's a but of literature you might like, though it's over 1200 pages long. Here you go :twisted:
He/Him/His Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:59 am UTC

Ebonite wrote:With the makeshift construction of the boat and the way they're all stacked up on two levels, I couldn't help but hear this.

In my case, I was thinking of Proud Mary. Even tho' there's no wheels on their ark. Come to think of it, have we seen any evidence of wheeled vehicles other than the trebuchet?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

philip1201 wrote:
Obnoxious scenarios borne of quantum uncertainty have always been about highly unlikely scenarios. Intelligent beings are just as physical as the rest of the universe, so there is always a probability that a macroscopic quantum event occurs to, say, make someone believe library books ought to be empty, by flipping a few neurons into anosognosia, and then there is a ridiculously small subset of universes where that occurs where the next person who picks up a library book suffers exactly the same improbable but not physically impossible failure of reasoning, and the next person, etc.. Sapient beings can be screwed over by obnoxiousness just as well as any other physical object. It is a simple physical fact that every conceivable combination of occupations of quantum fields in 4D spacetime has a finite non-zero probability within the laws of physics, and that includes groups of bosons forming neural nets which encode the belief that library books are supposed to be empty.

Holy Macaroni-- you seem to be channeling Alan Sokal there!
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

Another boatONG

Well, that saves them the trouble of having to stop and look for Them. Unless this Them is the Hill People?

Arky

Re: HMS Ketchup

Postby Arky » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

HES wrote:Cannot unsee. How did we miss this in the early translation stages? I'm sure people reversed some of it.

Wishful thinking to me. You couuuuld persuade yourself that little bits of it look like backward English but only by really stretching.

Although it would be cool if there was meant to be a relatively simple translation method and we hadn't realised and the GLR was all "they were meant to have picked that up from the Beanish speech!" about some unknown story element which his spies in the OTT told him we had not in fact picked up.

Neil_Boekend wrote:I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

Series: Timothy Zahn's Conquerors trilogy. Book 1 comes across as an interesting "first contact" scenario between a "United Federation of Planets" type of humanity and a hostile alien race. Book 2 brilliantly switches POV to the aliens, one of the best bits of alien world-and-society building exercises I've ever read. Book 3? You'll just have to get there....

As an individual book, since it's within my sightline from here, I liked it very much and it has that sci-fi fantasy crossover feel that Pern does (although with more humour) I recommend The Rook by Daniel O'Malley.

ETA: I was going to bet on it being the Hill People (because saying "IT'S THEM" doesn't seem quite friendly) but I don't see how they could find the Hill People without missing or going past the rest of their own tribe. We'll just have to Wait For It...
Last edited by Arky on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Bunches of post-replies that I have saved via the fabulous (how is it that the OTC has not offered that term for our dictionary yet???) Quote Script that ... erm ... someone awesome provided many many NP's ago! (shoot, sorry, don't even recall where I got it -- but thankyou!!)

I believe it's me. Thank you. :D
Be careful though, the script is designed to forget your replies when you hit "Preview" or "Submit".

lmjb1964 wrote:
saralonde wrote:Newb suggestion, but what if Rosetta was voiced by one of the non-English speakers? Might lend an air of authenticity, as well as give those members a chance they wouldn't otherwise be likely to have?

Hi, Saralonde! Yes, someone else had that suggestion, and it makes sense. I imagine there will be an "audition" process like for C&M. It might be tricky for anyone, non-English speaker or not, to give a verbal representation of how GLR drew her dialogue.

For me, the way GLR drew her speech was only to make it difficult to understand. It was a visual trick to give us the same feeling as Cuegan who heard it, not something related to the way she pronounces Unglish. The grey words could just be hesitations. For me, a non-native English speaker struggling to speak is just the way to do this.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

They seem a bit friendly for Hill People, whose conversation no doubt consists mostly of "RRAARRGH!" and "GRRRHHH" and the like. :|

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

Arky wrote:As the water gets higher I assume running aground in the shallows will cease to be an issue. Getting caught in a current running the wrong way might still be an issue, since they're using poles and not really oars and so won't be able to steer once they can't hit the bottom anymore.

I wonder if they'll get the idea of using the tarp on board as a sail. I wonder if they know what a sail IS.

NOt only can't they steer, they've got no keel. So it's dead down wind only. (Cue the DDWFTTW debates :( )
Former OTTer

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

I've counted (quickly) 19 of them, so they're probably the friendly ones :)

Pikrass wrote:.... For me, a non-native English speaker struggling to speak is just the way to do this.

I think the "struggling to speak" is the most important. Foreign accent is usually depicted with letter changes ("the">"ze" for french, "water">"vater" for german, etc.) which we don't have for her.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Wow, you guys, you're almost on page 1234! Which is a brillulous number! I'm so excited I'm messing up positive adjectives!

Hey, that's the combo to my luggage...
Now where did I put that archive of stupid /. memes?
Former OTTer

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Cue the DDWFTTW debates
:D
That could perhaps spawn 1200 pages all on its own...
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

Just a quick post to sort of fill in until Kieryn has time to get back to his data. As of this morning (precisely, as of the 49292nd post) there have been 1287 distinct Waiters posting to the One True Thread. Kieryn's latest data (from a month ago, June 25th) showed 1175 posters; we've added 112 new posters in the last month.

The 42 most frequent posters (because 42's "about forty", and because 42!):
Spoiler:
2191 mscha (includes newpixbot)
1857 BlitzGirl
1002 HAL9000
893 KarMann
882 ChronosDragon
819 charlie_grumbles
809 StratPlayer
735 SBN
710 Kieryn
701 AluisioASG
690 k.bookbinder
686 buffygirl
669 Exodies
662 Eternal Density
654 yappobiscuits
631 Dracomax
590 Valarya
572 Opiboble
559 jjjdavidson
553 pelrigg
551 azule
521 Latent22
483 HES
482 taixzo
472 Helper
459 ucim
441 kenmelken
415 fhorn
404 Angelastic
398 higgs-boson
392 tman2nd
384 TheMinim
367 spamjam
361 jovialbard
358 Rule110
348 htom
340 lmjb1964
340 Neil_Boekend
322 cmyk
320 edo
302 cellocgw
289 AionArap
────────────────
Pagal decree: Neil, I'm going to buck the F&SF trend and recommend Sue Grafton's alphabetical Kinsey Millhone series, starting with A is for Alibi. It's a first-rate detective series, clever and engaging. [N_B]And it's actually scheduled to have a definite ending in a final volume Z. The series should end on or about May 5, 1990. Thus ends Time. :) [/N_B]
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

My current favorite series are:
The Dresden Files-Wizard PI takes on threats to Chicago, and eventually the world
The Mercy Thomson series-Seatlle based mechanic deals with being part of the supernatural world
and
David Weber's Safehold series-Robot copy of long dead space Marine fights to drag the last remaining human colony out of a religous barbarism that has forced stagnation at rennaisance level or lower technology.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

The Dresden Files-Wizard PI takes on threats to Chicago, and eventually the world
The Mercy Thomson series-Seatlle based mechanic deals with being part of the supernatural world
and
David Weber's Safehold series-Robot copy of long dead space Marine fights to drag the last remaining human colony out of a religous barbarism that has forced stagnation at rennaisance level or lower technology.

The Chanur series by C J Cherryh.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

Partly ninja'd by jjjdavidson: While nothing like Kieryns site, I've got a fairly current chart for the posting activity at my site hosted by mscha. Look fairly at the bottom for the blue/red chart. The differential API should be almost current (within one newpix) too.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
pelrigg wrote:hey TheMinim look at your post count and the page number hint

Wow - 99 was a nice number, far better than 100, but yet I shall delve into the binary anyway. :D Can't wait for 111.

Can't wait for 404 now! :D

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Cue the DDWFTTW debates
:D
That could perhaps spawn 1200 pages all on its own...
There is no debate. With a suitable keel, DDWFTW is not only possible but has been demonstrated on land.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

HES

Re: HMS Ketchup

Postby HES » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

Arky wrote:
HES wrote:Cannot unsee. How did we miss this in the early translation stages? I'm sure people reversed some of it.

Wishful thinking to me. You couuuuld persuade yourself that little bits of it look like backward English but only by really stretching.

Although it would be cool if there was meant to be a relatively simple translation method and we hadn't realised and the GLR was all "they were meant to have picked that up from the Beanish speech!" about some unknown story element which his spies in the OTT told him we had not in fact picked up.

Yeah, I don't think it's anything to do with the translation. It's just that "panther" is so obvious to me now I'm surprised the connection wasn't made before
He/Him/His Image

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Here's a Wordle of pages 1001 through 1190 of the OTT, for comparison to the older one:

And here's the old one, of pages 1 through 100, for comparison:

Spoiler:
wordle2.png

EDIT: Yes, "time" should probably be in the first one too, it was in a list of common words I excluded from the data.
Last edited by Random832 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

The other twenty then. (At least we hope it is all twenty.)

Neil_Boekend wrote:
DavidRa wrote:NB This predicting the end of time thing is addictive!

Yep, that it is.

My prediction for the next frame:
Megan wrote:Oh chirp.

OO, Pope.
I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

Raymond E. Feist has some good ones. I'm not sure where the best place to start is. But then I'm also not sure it is possible to finish the Pern series. McCaffrey's got some other works that are very good too. I liked the Petaybee series, maybe more than Pern.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

and

Also, if you have not read it, Charles Stross' Laundry Files series is very entertaining. Who does not like computational demonology?

ETA: Perhaps they were able to salvage enough material from the Hills to make some kind of...well I do not think you can call that a boat. It looks barely a raft. But how did they end up behind Cuegan and team? Did they overtake the Other Twenty because they are being forced up the narrow channel of an old riverbed?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

I'm counting ~15 using the previous nexpix. Anyone w/ better eyes want to take a count once they zoom in on that? Or should we wait for it and hope for a closer newpix?

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

In my view, popes have gotten all too polite lately. :twisted:
Anyway:

Huge list. Spoilered.
Spoiler:
The Torturer series by Gene Wolfe, followed by The Long Sun series, followed by the Short Sun series.

The Knight Wizard pair (Wolfe). In either order, but both. I started with The Knight, which was the first to be published.

Almost anything by Ursula K Le Guin. Especially those from before 2000. For a series: The Earthsea Cycle. Note that pub dates are misleading, since most of her work has been republished.

Ringworld (Larry Niven) and its sequels (they fall off a bit as it goes on, though). Lots of other stuff by Niven.

Foundation, by Asimov, though it disappointed me. I actually had the opportunity to argue a bit of this with him once. Funny story. I didn't care for the ending of Foundation and Earth (I think it was) and told him why. His wife, who was sitting next to him, turned to him and said, "I told you so!". Made my day.

The Robot Series by Asimov. Is AI really life?

Dune (first couple of volumes anyway) by Herbert. When it gets boring, quit. It will get worse. For me it was an exponential fall-off. The first chapter better than the average of the first book. The first book better than anything that followed, etc. But it starts out HUGE.

Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card. Note that there is a boycott on Card's work due to some of his extremest statements about LGBT folk. Entirely too much of that going 'round. I prefer not to give him money, but your local library already has. His views don't show through much in these books. (I don't remember that they did at all, actually). Le Guin's views show through clearly, but they are better views. The reason I suggested the early stuff is that she gets a bit strident and less subtle as time goes on. The views are still good (in my view), but the books less interesting.

Brave New World, Huxley

1984, Orwell. I wrote a college paper once comparing these two. The original paper got an A. The follow up, an F. Go figure. I worked harder on the second, but lost insight.

Explore for yourself at http://www.goodreads.com/genres/science-fiction

The Helliconia Series by Brian Aldiss. Not entirely unrelated to some things said here (OTT) already.

Anything by Neil Gaiman

I find anything involving two-way time travel to be extremely boring. There are few problems you can't solve if you can go back and change history. Exciting shoot-em ups, but no real tension.

Nearly anything by C. J. Cherryh. She does both fantasy and scifi, but doesn't herself think there is a difference. Her TrueName is Cherry, but her publisher made her change it, thinking no one would take her seriously. Take her seriously. I found Gate of Iverel (Morgaine Series) to be wonderful.

The Tom Rynosseros series by Terry Dowling is absolutely first rate. Best read in order. They are hard to find, published in Australia. Lots of interleaving threads including AI, desert travel, alternate history... Marvelous.

Natural History, by Justina Robson. Funny too.

I don't need to mention Harry Potter, Discworld, LotR, of course.

Leaving scifi behind, anything by Jorge Amado (historical stuff from Brazil) or Gabriel García Márquez (especially One Hundred Years of Solitude, and Love in the Time of Cholera.)

There is a new translation (in English) Iliad that is a marvelous read.

Captain Horatio Hornblower. One of my favorite series as a kid. Hornblower rises through the ranks during the Napoleonic wars.

More to come, but that should keep you busy enough.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Angua wrote:The Chanur series by C J Cherryh.

Anything by Cherryh.
Also, although it is not a series, all the books are set in the same universe: the Discworld books by Prachett.

And on another note, way back here, just after the fade, I predicted that the story would end at between 3,500 and 4,000 frames. That's looking a little high, but well within a reasonable margin of error on my estimate. (Does little happy dance.)

We're on vacation this week; trying to read/post on my tablet combined with the huge spike in post count (as big as the fade if I'm reading Sciscitor's graph correctly) makes it difficult to keep up,
- even reading is difficult - but I'm still amazed by all the good work. Even though my life would be easier if I just followed the OTC, I still read the OTT just to check in on all of you.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

JGeezer

Postby JGeezer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

GLR has been in a good mood lately!

"We could start calling this the front" made me :D

"Head toward them!" "How?" "Oh. Right." made me :lol:
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:I'm counting ~15 using the previous nexpix. Anyone w/ better eyes want to take a count once they zoom in on that? Or should we wait for it and hope for a closer newpix?

Here's an enlargement
enlarge1.png

Placing the more seaish version in the spoiler:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”