1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pelrigg

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:48 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Happy 2100, BlitzGirl!

It seems that as numbers get higher, there are fewer cakes left on Google Images. :(

Good catch, taixzo.
Happy 2100th post Blitzgirl
Sorry it had to be during trying times. (and didn't I see something about your 2000th earlier todip? Congrats on that too.)

edit:
Page pope notification for mod-queue.

Sorry I don't have cake for BlitzGirl or molpy gifs either.

No decree...
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:49 am UTC

Marsh'n wrote:
mscha wrote:Nobody's leaving until we've solved Beanish.

Actually, that sounds like a great deal of fun. I've had a long-term interest in historical and comparative linguistics. Plus I have a friend who may be one of the world's experts on writing systems. Wonder what she'd make of it.FULL STOPFULL STOP

I'm also quite interested in linguistics, though I probably have less knowledge of the actual subject than you guys. I definitely want to hop on the Beanish-cracking team, though.

Submitting to what-if: I think it would be more of a meaningful gesture if we all submitted the same thing, showing that we're colluding, though. I don't know.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:49 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Happy 2100, BlitzGirl!

Thanks! And thanks pelrigg! And wow - that means I've made 100 posts here (101 now) since I de-coma'd.
I might have an addiction... ...oh, wait... ...for it.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:50 am UTC

Another blindpost from attempted ketchup which has, apparently, turned into a mini-blitz.

Of course, we knew that there had to be an end to the OTC eventually. There was just no way the GLR, who is after all only another mortal (there, I said it), could keep this up indefinitely. Also it seemed pretty likely to me that the comic was drawing towards an end. But still, I hadn't been expecting the end just yet when it actually came, because there still seemed a number of unresolved matters. But that is a valid option in storytelling, not everything has to be resolved by the end.

lovepirate wrote:It really makes Cuegan's small sandcastle on the roof seem heartbreaking and bittersweet, doesn't it?

Many years later, Cueball to Megan: "You know, we never again found a place with sand that is so neat for building sandcastles as the sand back at our old home which is now at the bottom of the sea."

Megan to Cueball: "Yeah. Sometimes I wish we had at least saved that bit of sand from home that we had on the roof of our raft, that we built our last sandcastle with."

KeonSkyfire wrote:Anybody up to reenacting Time this weekend?

How in GLR's name are we going to get the Mediterranean drained so quickly?

lmjb1964 wrote:AnotherKevin, I'm so sorry to hear your wife's been ill, but glad to hear that she's improving. All my best to you, and her.

Same goes for me.

jjjdavidson wrote:Unfortunately, I think HAL is right. If Time really has ended, then within a few days posting on the OTT will (pretty much unavoidably) begin a shift from final analysis to directionless blathering.

Maybe not. There still are several blitzers who seem to be in for a long-term haul, these may make the occasional on-topic post that could generate further on-topic comments. Also, other people on the forum may yet re-discover the OTC and make comments or ask questions about it - going through the archives, the comic is now presented in a much more accessible way through the Geekwagon reader, even though it can now no longer be experienced in its original format. And then, there has been so much creativity linked to the comic that was posted here. Of course, there's no longer much point in fake ONGs, but there still can be ottifications (by the way, did I really post the last one while the comic still ran?), image manips, other fanart - heck, the OTVO is only getting under way!

And with this, molpy down.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:50 am UTC

I posted this link about 100 NP's ago (+/- 25)

Time to post it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC67vNY9Rcg

ETA: 5:50 am? Well, I don't give a chirp. Time has ended, so let's open one more beer :D
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Ace

Postby Ace » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:51 am UTC

Blindposting to say, I picked a chirp of a time to molpy down! 20-something pages! (Yes, I'm caught up on the frames, I check mscha's viewer before the forum. So I guess I'm surprised it isn't more than 20 pages!)

I'll be with you in the present in a bit.

If there's still a present..
Wait for it.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Thanks BlitzGirl and Val. I really, really appreciate it.
So this isn't on-topic (is anything on-topic anymore?), but I started listening to an acoustic/folky/sleepy/sad playlist I have and a couple songs (mostly just the titles) made me think of a certain OTC/OTT:

Awaiting the Flood by Timothy Seth Avett as Darling
Here Comes the Water Now by Tom Brosseau
Kids on the Run by The Tallest Man on Earth
Strange Wave by Sam Quinn
Ocean Breathes Salty by Sun Kil Moon

I don't know if I just have Time on my mind or what, but that's a pretty impressive concentration of songs that remind me of this. I'm going to molpy down and hopefully be in a more cheerful mood tomorrow.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:54 am UTC

Ace wrote:I'll be with you in the present in a bit.

There are always presents! Presents will continue long after the End of Time...

Selcouth wrote:Submitting to what-if: I think it would be more of a meaningful gesture if we all submitted the same thing, showing that we're colluding, though. I don't know.

I think this is a good idea, for OTTers to unite. :)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:58 am UTC

Blindposting to say, I've got to do some heretical work this weekend, and I was already frysaucing before the end came and the torrent of posts rushed in, but I'll be back next week and will probably start hitting the fry sauce.

I just had a long walk along a neat river, and a good think about Time, and it'll be nice to hear what y'all are thinking. But for now, I'm gonna have to
Spoiler:
wait for it.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:58 am UTC

To bring things full circle, the reason I delurked was to post this song during the fading. I think it's appropriate to post it again now on my 700th post...

"Time will go on
And we are drifting away in the night
I've been searching so long
But I will find you even if it takes my whole life
But tonight I feel so alone
And I know that you are forever gone
Oh Time, don't fade away when I need you here,
Oh please don't leave me now

TIME!
Time! Fades away!
When time fades away!
And I'll never be the same"
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:00 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I think this is a good idea, for OTTers to unite. :)

And what should we ask?

What if we understood Beanish?
What if the sea didn't rise?
What if we could please follow the rest of Cueball and Megan's adventures, oh please please please!?

I don't think a single simple question is the best thing to do. Also, I don't think any action we take will change the mind of GLR. However, the best chances are probably really unique questions stemming from the OTC. There shouldn't be consensus (did I really spell that correctly?), we should just be as creative as we were in here. One of our questions will probably (maybe) challenge our GLR into another interesting adventure. But please, let's not be uniform.

ETA: Sorry if my reply seemed harsh, it wasn't meant to be that way. Maybe I'm just angry. OK, what stage is that? :?

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:04 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Ace wrote:I'll be with you in the present in a bit.

There are always presents! Presents will continue long after the End of Time...

Selcouth wrote:Submitting to what-if: I think it would be more of a meaningful gesture if we all submitted the same thing, showing that we're colluding, though. I don't know.

I think this is a good idea, for OTTers to unite. :)

I could see it go both ways...submit more or less the same opening phrase, then share more personal gratitude after that.

But... Is there a more appropriate contact point than What-If? If he's actually looking through that inbox for something for the next article, he might not exactly be happy with our gratitude if we subvert the GLR's workflow for preparing What-If articles...

Someone mentioned xkcd@xkcd.com or something like that? What about @whatifnumbers on Twitter?

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:07 am UTC

An hour has passed and the hash is the same... So, it has come to this...

dm214

So it has come to this.

Postby dm214 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:08 am UTC

I guess the blog project is now moot.

What about a book?
Attachments
Blog notes.pdf
OTT topics, 2013-07-23/27
(389.26 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
I read, I summarize, I bring cakes. I likely won't answer if you call.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:08 am UTC

svenman wrote:Another blindpost from attempted ketchup which has, apparently, turned into a mini-blitz.

Of course, we knew that there had to be an end to the OTC eventually. There was just no way the GLR, who is after all only another mortal (there, I said it), could keep this up indefinitely. Also it seemed pretty likely to me that the comic was drawing towards an end. But still, I hadn't been expecting the end just yet when it actually came, because there still seemed a number of unresolved matters. But that is a valid option in storytelling, not everything has to be resolved by the end.

lovepirate wrote:It really makes Cuegan's small sandcastle on the roof seem heartbreaking and bittersweet, doesn't it?

Many years later, Cueball to Megan: "You know, we never again found a place with sand that is so neat for building sandcastles as the sand back at our old home which is now at the bottom of the sea."

Megan to Cueball: "Yeah. Sometimes I wish we had at least saved that bit of sand from home that we had on the roof of our raft, that we built our last sandcastle with."
<snip>

Since things are calming down (a little), I'd like to say that when I saw them building that little sandcastle (and before I knew about "the bad words") I had a smile and a giggle. Now to know that was a call back, a restating of the motif for one last Time, well, now I'll shed a tear when I see it.

And, also during the night scene, I liked his inclusion of The Pleiades. Nice touch; GLR does say it's his favorite.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

jeffallen55

Blindpost from NP1268

Postby jeffallen55 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:10 am UTC

Blindpost from NP1268:

How is it that when there's speculation about what's going to happen next, we go through a dozen pages in 16 hours, and then when The End has been announced, we go through 20 in 8? Slow down up there!

BlitzGirl

Re: Blindpost from NP1268

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:11 am UTC

jeffallen55 wrote:How is it that when there's speculation about what's going to happen next, we go through a dozen pages in 16 hours, and then when The End has been announced, we go through 20 in 8? Slow down up there!

Don't worry, things are already quieting down up here. And soon they will be even quieter, I fear.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

xiphmont

Postby xiphmont » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:12 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:An hour has passed and the hash is the same... So, it has come to this...

Interesting. because the image clearly changed on the hour. At least it did here....

capnbuckle

Re: So it has come to this.

Postby capnbuckle » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:13 am UTC

dm214 wrote:I guess the blog project is now moot.

What about a book?

I know I already made this joke, maybe even in my firstpost or shortly after: I'm now eagerly awaiting the Blu-ray release!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:15 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:To bring things full circle, the reason I delurked was to post this song during the fading. I think it's appropriate to post it again now on my 700th post...

"Time will go on

TIME!
Time! Fades away!
When time fades away!

Your song writing skills are amazing, yappo.

And congrats on your 700th post!
Like I said to BlitzGirl, kind of sad about when it happened, though.

And sorry my Image googling sucks, so I don't have a cake for you. Do like Crown Royal? (BlitzGirl, how about you?)

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:15 am UTC

xiphmont wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:An hour has passed and the hash is the same... So, it has come to this...

Interesting. because the image clearly changed on the hour. At least it did here....

I see the old f11bda3df4fc05d4a1ddd511fcd1f22f5a525ef0c7377503470afca79b0f9bcb hash.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:18 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Your song writing skills are amazing, yappo.

Oh I didn't write it, those are the original lyrics!

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:20 am UTC

Someone mentioned an article from a blog they never heard before... Google-ing xkcd time has this:

http://readwrite.com/2013/07/26/xkcd-ti ... to-the-end

madock345

Postby madock345 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Blindposting from about three days ago:

Finally got some time to check Time, see what I'd missed, maybe leave a few comments on the forum and...

GODDAMMIT! :evil:
"As the size of an Explosion increses the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approches zero"
-Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick
Spoiler:
ethereal_fire wrote:madock345, I like your sig : )

Qwerty.55 wrote:I like your new recursive sig even better than before.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:24 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:To bring things full circle, the reason I delurked was to post this song during the fading. I think it's appropriate to post it again now on my 700th post...
Spoiler:
"Time will go on

TIME!
Time! Fades away!
When time fades away!

Oh! Happy 700 Yappo!!

You know, just when I was starting to feel better about all this, you go and post something like this.

Thank you! :cry: :D

ETA:

madock345 wrote:Blindposting from about three days ago:

Finally got some time to check Time, see what I'd missed, maybe leave a few comments on the forum and...

GOD RANDDAMMIT! :evil:

FTFY ;)
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:26 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:And sorry my Image googling sucks, so I don't have a cake for you. Do like Crown Royal? (BlitzGirl, how about you?)

Sure, I'll accept that. :)

And happy 700, yappo!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:27 am UTC

dm214 wrote:I guess the blog project is now moot.

What about a book?

Like this?

...A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that this book would be around 12,000 pages long. :shock:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:27 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:
xiphmont wrote:

I see the old f11bda3df4fc05d4a1ddd511fcd1f22f5a525ef0c7377503470afca79b0f9bcb hash.

A half hour ago I posted that the hash had changed to 18221034234d28af3ee888d6de232e80341848145dbe2cdb19d594df914508d2, and now it has changed back to f11bd...9bcb. So either we're going through that random hash change mscha posted or it's going to cycle through these two frames for a while.
We'll just to Wait For It I guess. And, yes it did take a while for that last frame change.

yappobiscuits wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Your song writing skills are amazing, yappo.

Oh I didn't write it, those are the original lyrics!

:o :oops: That's what I get for not following the link, I guess.

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:28 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
jeffallen55 wrote:How is it that when there's speculation about what's going to happen next, we go through a dozen pages in 16 hours, and then when The End has been announced, we go through 20 in 8? Slow down up there!

Don't worry, things are already quieting down up here. And soon they will be even quieter, I fear.

::sniff::
I know everyone else has been throwing out their thanks, and I just wanted to add my own. Thank you to everyone here. There are too many for me to possibly remember them all, and I would feel guilty for forgetting someone, so this is a blanket thanks to all of you. You made a lurker feel like a welcome part of a family. I'm not leaving, but just wanted to say that.
Hugs for everyone.

Ace

Postby Ace » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:29 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:EpilONG continues
Spoiler:

Blindposting still.. but this is where mscha's viewer ends. This was hoursH ago. It really is over, isn't it? :(

HHeretical time measurements... or maybe not any more.
Wait for it.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:30 am UTC

Ok, new campaign: one picture to represent the OTT.
I propose this one:
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:30 am UTC

I'll still be around.

The end of Time is not the end of time, for we carry Time with us as we go through time. There are many still hundreds, even over a thousand pages behind, that are still experiencing Time in their own time. They will not be left to a sterile world but a still-vibrant one here in the One True Thread. There are even people who have yet to see the Beginning of Time, who will soon See The Light. We must ensure that it does not fade.

It has been a wowterful trip, mainly because of those I shared it with. That means you folk. All y'all. There are too many wonderful creative works in these last decapages for me to remember to list individually, but they all made me smile, cry, laugh, or otherwise experience treeishness in some form or another. I also have unfinished works I hope to share in the near future.

Hugs all around, especially to lmjb1964 and to suzi, whose Outside life is also challenging at this point. It will pass. We must always follow the First and Original Commandment; it is the one that frames all of life.

Molpy down... knowing that when we molpy up tomorrow, we'll still be here. (Sheesh - where else could we go that's anything like this place?)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:32 am UTC

Thanks for the adorable ottermolpy cake, BlitzGirl!
pelrigg wrote: :o :oops: That's what I get for not following the link, I guess.

That's ok, it's quite a seaish song anyway :P

4 idea, Aluisio! Heh, it's the O-T-Tree! I may have to do one myself.
Edited because I didn't realise that was a GLR original and thought you'd drawn it :oops:
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:35 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:32 am UTC

ucim wrote:(Sheesh - where else could we go that's anything like this place?)

Madagascar?

Oh wait, that was probably a rhetorical question...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:33 am UTC

On my last post: just read the explainxkcd entry. I think it's the other way round for us. And different, far away trees too.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:34 am UTC

I still refuse to believe it. But we will have to wait until Monday for Time II, I guess. I will probably get quiet over time (I do have to molpy down sometime), but this CANNOT be "the end". What about Beanies, their language? What about the Hill people? Are they British? Where will the tribe settle down? When is this happening? Why aren't there some technological advances so far in the future?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:36 am UTC

Ace wrote:
pelrigg wrote:EpilONG continues
Spoiler:

Blindposting still.. but this is where mscha's viewer ends. This was hoursH ago. It really is over, isn't it? :(

HHeretical time measurements... or maybe not any more.

Sadly, yes, it looks like we're just seeing some epilog frames in repeat mode now.

Sorry you had to hear about it while in the past.

If you missed the *hugs*, I think I have a couple more to spare. *hug* for Ace.

Oh, and the folks over at explain-wiki are in as much a state of shock as we are. They just can't post as much there.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:38 am UTC

The first thing I did when I delurked during the fading was thank everyone for the entertaining commentary in the thread thus far. But everything since then has been so much greater, on a whole different scale, I can't begin to say. You're all wonderful.

HAL9000, I think that's the first time I've been sigged in the thread. I appreciate it. I'm still trying to put the whole thing in perspective, and trying to put that perspective into words sometimes helps.

It's molpy down for me. Tomorrix I'll be away on the road all day. Please don't mistake that for that heretical "leaving" thing.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:41 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Oh I don't know about that. :P

I disappeared for an hour and come back to an entire page full of long posts. I have hope.

AluisioASG wrote:Ok, new campaign: one picture to represent the OTT.
I propose this one:
Spoiler:

One picture to rule them all.... (love it)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:42 am UTC

...I want to know what happened to Pricklymolp... :cry:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog