1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pelrigg

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:42 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:I still refuse to believe it. But we will have to wait until Monday for Time II, I guess. I will probably get quiet over time (I do have to molpy down sometime), but this CANNOT be "the end". What about Beanies, their language? What about the Hill people? Are they British? Where will the tribe settle down? When is this happening? Why aren't there some technological advances so far in the future?

We're all waiting for Part 2. This is a real shock to the system, I know. I really, really, really want this to be a variation on "The Fade".

So, yeah, continue to Wait For It. The OTT is going to be for quite awhile longer like ucim said in his post just now.

edit
Page Pope Again???
Didn't I just do this?

As usual for me, no decree, but AluisioASG's idea sounds like a good idea.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:46 am UTC

lovepirate wrote:yone else has been throwing out their thanks, and I just wanted to add my own. Thank you to everyone here. There are too many for me to possibly remember them all, and I would feel guilty for forgetting someone, so this is a blanket thanks to all of you. You made a lurker feel like a welcome part of a family. I'm not leaving, but just wanted to say that.
Hugs for everyone.

More *hugs*

Ace wrote:
pelrigg wrote:EpilONG continues
Spoiler:

Blindposting still.. but this is where mscha's viewer ends. This was hoursH ago. It really is over, isn't it? :(

HHeretical time measurements... or maybe not any more.

I am afraid so. But we're still here. So it goes on...

AluisioASG wrote:Ok, new campaign: one picture to represent the OTT.
I propose this one:
Spoiler:

I second that! And I am sure we may yet find a way to keep the party going. Unless we are attacked by krikkit robots and we fall out of the sky.

I share in ucim's sentiments. Also, it is time for me to coma as well. But I will back for my mornix ketchup. But, you know, just in case...I love you all! A great many thanks! *HUGS*

Molpy down!

Spoiler:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:48 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:...
...I want to know what happened to Pricklymolp... :cry:

Spoiler:

S'ok, he met up with Lucky and they became bestest friends and shared some noms.
Spoiler:

ETA: Makes me think - I'd love to see a "where are they now?" of Time :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:52 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:...I want to know what happened to Pricklymolp... :cry:
Spoiler:

S'ok, he met up with Lucky and they became bestest friends and shared some noms.
Spoiler:
ETA: Makes me think - I'd love to see a "where are they now?" of Time :P

As long as Lucky only shared noms, and did not turn Pricklymolp into noms...I guess that's okay.

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:53 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:I still refuse to believe it. But we will have to wait until Monday for Time II, I guess. I will probably get quiet over time (I do have to molpy down sometime), but this CANNOT be "the end". What about Beanies, their language? What about the Hill people? Are they British? Where will the tribe settle down? When is this happening? Why aren't there some technological advances so far in the future?

We're all waiting for Part 2. This is a real shock to the system, I know. I really, really, really want this to be a variation on "The Fade".

This may be a nice time to do a "Why me??? Why now?!" thing, but I guess I won't. I don't see any other possible conclusion of the story (apart from the ones I mentioned earlier), so OK. GLR put a full stop on this. I'm not mad, I just don't like the abrupt ending. And, that's the thing I always hated in movies. But, since I'm drinking to "celebrate" the end of OTC, I guess I'll be more pissed off tomorrow when hangover starts to kick in.

(Yes, I have no life so I drink to "celebrate" the comic's ending)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Valiant Cookie

Postby Valiant Cookie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:55 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Hey gang, while trying to figure out how to get a message to Randall, I noticed that the hash changed to 18221034234d28af3ee888d6de232e80341848145dbe2cdb19d594df914508d2, which, sadly is not new but M3093. So maybe the end loop is correct (vs. the random loop.)

So the loopists get a half victory in The End. funny.

Does anyone else remember the project we discussed back somewhere in NP200ish? Thanking GLR and enacting revenge by sending GLR "The Book of Time", a large binder along with the very first frame of Time, and sending him the subsequent frames 1 day at a Time? Although the comic went on for a bit longer than we anticipated back then, it would still be cool. Anybody up for 10 years of Time for the GLR to experience?
Is it time? Yes.

Ace

Postby Ace » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:55 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Ace wrote:I'll be with you in the present in a bit.

If there's still a present..

There are always presents! Presents will continue long after the End of Time...

Speaking of presents, I was hoping it would still be going for my birthday... (August 8th.. I will be 30. I could've gotten my first ONG: 3ONG.)

Now I'll never get an ONG. Oh chirp, I sound like Adric.

pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
Ace wrote:
pelrigg wrote:EpilONG continues

Blindposting still.. but this is where mscha's viewer ends. This was hoursH ago. It really is over, isn't it? :(

HHeretical time measurements... or maybe not any more.

Sadly, yes, it looks like we're just seeing some epilog frames in repeat mode now.

Sorry you had to hear about it while in the past.

If you missed the *hugs*, I think I have a couple more to spare. *hug* for Ace.

Oh, and the folks over at explain-wiki are in as much a state of shock as we are. They just can't post as much there.

I'm caught up, now, so I see that. We never did figure out Beanish, or what caused the blockage and un-blockage of the rivers, or know if they're at suitably higher ground now.. I suppose if the raft never rises, looping on the previous frames, that answers that. But there's still so much.. We barely understand anything.
Wait for it.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:59 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

That is the most adorable little prickly ever :mrgreen:

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:03 am UTC

Hey, let's remember the "good times"... I mentioned I was robbed at gunpoint and finally police decided to put the perp's photo in newspapers...

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 83&act=url

Well, that's national tabloid newspaper (and Google Translate)... You can't blame them for mixing up RSD 197.000 (around 1.700 EUR) and RSD 197.000.000 (around 1.700.000 EUR).

jeffallen55

Postby jeffallen55 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:08 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:...
...I want to know what happened to Pricklymolp... :cry:

Spoiler:

Don't worry, he was hiding in the bucket. The molpy alert was him walking out of frame. And I have it on good authority that he found a femolpy and they lived molpily ever after.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:10 am UTC

I'm caught up...

Completely caught up.

That's just not right. I'll coma down and then molpy up and there will be more.....

(I don't wanna be the Burgess Meridith of this.)
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:12 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Ok, new campaign: one picture to represent the OTT.
<snip>

This one is for the OTT's ability to take a bit of information and run with it:
And this is for me when I have to brilliant, well thought out post that doesn't quite make it to the end:

BytEfLUSh wrote:This may be a nice time to do a "Why me??? Why now?!" thing, but I guess I won't. I don't see any other possible conclusion of the story (apart from the ones I mentioned earlier), so OK. GLR put a full stop on this. I'm not mad, I just don't like the abrupt ending. And, that's the thing I always hated in movies. But, since I'm drinking to "celebrate" the end of OTC, I guess I'll be more pissed off tomorrow when hangover starts to kick in.

(Yes, I have no life so I drink to "celebrate" the comic's ending)

I'm with you there about the abrupt ending. I wish it would have gone on longer.

In case anyone's interested, (and I didn't get ninja'd) the current hash is 4b9222127fb1e3fdc81781fb67a465f3ee10189881aa4572932dd3a44cb81920, which is M3091 from right after... well you know... the event.

Edit
changed image with url to straight url. I couldn't see the comics I wanted to post.
Edit to add
@ BytEfLUSh: Just saw yor post about the robbery follow-up. Hopefully someone will recognize this fool and he can be brought to justice. (Or a couple of broken Kneecaps)
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Ace

Postby Ace » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:18 am UTC

Seaish meowlpy hugs for all. (The first is the other 'molpy down' image I was going to use. Doesn't seem much point holding it for that now.)

Image Image

Redundant spoiler.
Spoiler:
These two are also our meowlpies: We have three. 7 year old black meowlpie, and these two, probably around 4 and 5 years old. (Fluffy one is just a kitten here. Grey and white one really is that tiny.)
hug_cat_close.jpg

hug_cat.jpg
Wait for it.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:23 am UTC

Sorry if I'm spamming, but this song has OTTified itself decades ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC67vNY9Rcg

Please, just listen and get it. :) (wow, another emoticon I won't be using for a while)

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:25 am UTC

Didn't you already post that last NP, Byteflush? :P

This is what depressed-Val is listening to at the moment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Ni5vfvsx8
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

irino

Postby irino » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:33 am UTC

That was spectacular.

I came over to the OTT as soon as I saw "the event", and I have spent hours trying to read what seemed like four pages when I started. This ending of sorts reminds me of the end poem for Minecraft. You've put together an integral piece of one of the greatest wonders of the internet thus far, and as it seems like it will start winding down soon (at least there won't be 300+ people browsing the thread like when I got here), so maybe we can publish it!
As for the Time-representing image, it should be something that isn't so directly related to another comic. The first frame is definitely significant, as anyone can see by the pictures used on articles written about the comic.
For the questions for @xkcd.com, I think it would be a little evil to send them all to what-if. Perhaps just the normal email would be more courteous. But maybe the entire thing is unnecessary. We've written a seaish amount of words already, and GLR can see them whenever he wants. He's probably bracing himself for the massive, Gibraltary wave of emails that have already started. He could, and probably somehow will, see our discussions about creating such a tsunami. It's the thought that counts, right?

And while reading you lovely people post NP after NP since the end, I thought of this and just had to delurk for a moment:

It definitely feels like most of my life . . .
Spoiler:
Manip1a.jpg
Does someone have a list of comics that have been referred to by the OTT?

Now, I was planning all along that if Time ever ended and the thread slowed down, I would go back and blitz the entire OTT from the beginning to end. It seems the time has come!

Time does not wait... Run after it...

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:34 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:Sorry if I'm spamming, but this song has OTTified itself decades ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC67vNY9Rcg

Please, just listen and get it. :) (wow, another emoticon I won't be using for a while)

I don't know if it's spamming, but you did link to this same version last New Page. I guess nobody mentioned it because I don't think anyone is commenting on all of the links. (I put up a link earlier that nobody has said anything about.) For me I saw it was Pink Floyd - Time, which is a song I know fairly well, and I didn't even listen to it right then. However, I have it on right now "Home, Home again... When I come home tired...", Sorry I can't transcribe that fast...

fatness

Postby fatness » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:34 am UTC

Ah, what the hell...I probably won't have a chance to post this again...

Meeeowzz.jpg
meowwwzzzzz

Molpy down. G'nite from Chicago.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:35 am UTC

Valarya wrote:Didn't you already post that last NP, Byteflush? :P

Did I?
Damn...

beer...
can't...
take much....
longer...

Oh Hi, take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC67vNY9Rcg :p (the Ballmer peak is soooooo ages behind me).

Valarya wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Ni5vfvsx8

And now I melodically remember that the Time has died. :( Really neat, though.

lgw

Postby lgw » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:38 am UTC

OK, my first Ottification, before I molpy down. Sting's Fields of Gold was just too much to face, so this is to the tune of the next Summoner's Tale: Heavy Cloud No Rain It fits better than I thought:

Clicked on the OTT to catch up on the news
Need some sweet newpix to wash away my blues
Saw "The End" and thought: this must be wrong
But it's far past time, and no ONG

Back in Time to read the comic again
back before the fade (there were sandcastles then)
We were scared by the Fade but then came light
and that's what the start of not ending looks like

There were molpies and snakes and Lucky and stars
It's hard to believe we've all come this far
So I looked at the comic, and this must be wrong
It's far past time, and no ONG

Then Rosetta was warning that the sea it would rise
No you can't save the Forty, you can just say good bye
So to save their friends they ran and ran fast
And when it all seemed too late: LaPetite with a raft

So they floated and drifted, and met up with the rest
There's a new sand castle, but now for the test:
It still says the end, oh this must be wrong
Far past time, and no ONG

Far past time, and no ONG

The end is here and the newpix are gone
The thread is sad and it's time to move on
Every morning you'll hear us pray
If only it would ONG today

Cueball asked Megan if there'd be some way
She said she'd save her love for a later frame
So he waits with the otters, and we wait so long
Time goes on, but no ONG
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:40 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:I don't know if it's spamming, but you did link to this same version last New Page. I guess nobody mentioned it because I don't think anyone is commenting on all of the links. (I put up a link earlier that nobody has said anything about.) For me I saw it was Pink Floyd - Time, which is a song I know fairly well, and I didn't even listen to it right then. However, I have it on right now "Home, Home again... When I come home tired...", Sorry I can't transcribe that fast...

Ahh no, I honestly forgot about it. My bad. It's simply too late and I'm still waiting for something to happen in the OTC even though I should be in my bed, sleeping and NOT thinking about waking up in 2.3333 newpix.

ETA: I have absolutely no idea what I wrote during the last, crumbling newpix. I am going to molpy down now.
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:42 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
dm214 wrote:I guess the blog project is now moot.

What about a book?

Like this?

...A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that this book would be around 12,000 pages long. :shock:

I like that.

I really like that.

I really, really like that.

We can divide the OTT into Eras and assign people (>=2) to them.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:42 am UTC

{P1124}
The sigs seem full of spoilers these days:
Biltzers: There is a new commandment: The end.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine in the end ... or maybe not. just don't wait for it!
ETA: After seeing how lots of people tried to stop this, I have to say that it was Edo defining the phrase "molpy chirping chirphole"
Last edited by Exodies on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:42 am UTC

The end of the OTC got me pretty bummed, so I decided to write an OTTification of The Doors' "Love Me Two Times" that tells the (very abridged) story of Megan and Cueball's journey. It's not perfect, but I figure it's close enough:

"Cuegan in Time", to the tune of "Love Me Two Times" by The Doors.
Original is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-_1VK5Qsx4

Build sandcastles, baby
No river today
Plant some flags now, girl
Mini tre-bu-chet

Sea is risin' girl
Unknown water source
Let's find out today
Hiking through time
Let's go this way

Molpies in Time
The big ol' sneak
Molpies in Time
Megan's knee got weak

Cueball helped his girl
Climb up straight to the peak
Our little sea
Is goin' away
Findin' out why
It's goin' away

What'd they say?!

[Beanieband solo]

Learned us the truth
Rosetta's map
Drowning Forty, maybe
Wary of that rap

I think it's time to RUN
Run down, cut through the map
Running through Time
Home's goin' away

Sea is rising fast
Get back home today
Sea is rising fast
This place goin' away

Our raftcastle's here
Build up a second
Now let's pole away
Floating through Time
We've lost our way

Find us a shore
New home today
Let's go explor-ing
Through that way
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:43 am UTC

This is what depressed-Val is listening to at the moment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Ni5vfvsx8

That was beautiful!

fatness wrote:Ah, what the hell...I probably won't have a chance to post this again...

Molpy down. G'nite from Chicago.

...You're on the Internet. You will always have a chance to post pictures of cats. :)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:49 am UTC

And I'm listening to as I write this. Ethereal soundscape. Another fitting mood piece for the night.

I don't suppose anyone got a chance to listen my Steve Goodman?

This is from about 4 pages ago.

Edit
I should Molpy down too for the night.
Keep up the good fight, I'll be back with a fresh pair of eyes tomorrow morning.

Sorry about the Heretical time frames.

Perhaps we no longer Wait for the next development of The One True Comic, but now we start OUR Wait For It here in the development of The One True Thread.

So therefore, continue my friends to Wait For It.

BlitzGirl

The River is Small...

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:02 am UTC

Redundant:
Spoiler:

TheSeaIsBig.png

Keywords: BGUM the sea is big raptorcat lucky night seaish flood drawing keyboard panther leopard
redundant65.png
redundant65.png (95.09 KiB) Viewed 12473 times
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Ace

Postby Ace » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:03 am UTC

I don't know what to do with myself now. I think I've blitzed through the first four stages (Denial: It can't be over, there are more frames! Anger: 23 chirping pages?! Bargaining: A kickstarter for more was sounding pretty good for a bit there. Depression: bye.) and am hovering on the verge of acceptance. It really is over.

My sig isn't changing though. In part for the blitzers, and in part, maybe I'm not completely over that denial phase yet. (Maybe I just think I am because I'm in denial about being in denial...)
Wait for it.

yappobiscuits

Re: The River is Small...

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:10 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

Beautiful and wowterful! Image

And now, for the first time since Time's End, I must molpy down.
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:10 am UTC

Same here. Molpy down.
Spoiler:
(The hash I'm getting now is 089f... which is m3090, the newpix right after those words.)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:14 am UTC

irino wrote:For the questions for @xkcd.com, I think it would be a little evil to send them all to what-if. Perhaps just the normal email would be more courteous. But maybe the entire thing is unnecessary. We've written a seaish amount of words already, and GLR can see them whenever he wants.

Yep I agree using What If is not the right channel for an outpouring of gratitude. In fact I suspect that a mass influx of identical submissions there would not be welcomed at all.

What about simply starting a thread in another part of the forum, where we each just post our own personal message to Randall, to say thanks? And as a bonus, mention some useful, positive, constructive thing that we've been inspired to do as a result (start running, learn astronomy, build a castle...)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:15 am UTC

CasCat wrote:As to how English pronounces periods, we have a slight descending-tone at the end of sentences, with a slight pause. That's the best I can do. (As opposed to a slightly shorter pause with no descending-tone for commas, and a slight rising-tone with pause for question marks.)

{P1124}
How long are these pauses and do we distinguish between a comma pause and full stop pause by length or by semantic content? Are the pauses visible in wave diagrams or do we imagine them? Do people really say "nucular" or is it a trick of the ears?

Before my pixels dry up - when the Tread ends and you all move on to the next big thing (hoola hoops? tickle me cabbage patch?) there will be a large tail of exocomments which landed on deaf ears. My last weeks of kvetching up will be wading through my own litter.

Funny story. A friend challenged me to find traces of him on the Internet because he had always taken great pains not to be there. I did find a linktin account with his name, and in the profile, in response to the question "advice to someone trying to get in contact with Mike" he had written "don't".
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:18 am UTC

Just finished 3 newpix (nope, not going it up yet) of Les Mis with all of its death and despair. Fit pretty well with my mood. In fact, I was pretty distracted during the show, and I kept thinking of OTTfictations CHIRP stupid phone won't let me type what I want, you k ow what I mean, of all the sad songs. It did make me.smile when I got back on and saw that you all wrote 10 more pages taking about how it was all over.

Anyway, I have a long drive home, but I just wanted to say--hi, I guess.. Not bye. Nope.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:18 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:
irino wrote:For the questions for @xkcd.com, I think it would be a little evil to send them all to what-if. Perhaps just the normal email would be more courteous. But maybe the entire thing is unnecessary. We've written a seaish amount of words already, and GLR can see them whenever he wants.

Yep I agree using What If is not the right channel for an outpouring of gratitude. In fact I suspect that a mass influx of identical submissions there would not be welcomed at all.

What about simply starting a thread in another part of the forum, where we each just post our own personal message to Randall, to say thanks? And as a bonus, mention some useful, positive, constructive thing that we've been inspired to do as a result (start running, learn astronomy, build a castle...)

IIRC, Randall doesn't frequent these forums. So I don't know how much that would actually help.

And now, I must sadly molpy down.

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:22 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Valarya wrote:This is what depressed-Val is listening to at the moment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Ni5vfvsx8
And I'm listening to as I write this. Ethereal soundscape. Another fitting mood piece for the night.

I don't suppose anyone got a chance to listen my Steve Goodman?
This is from about 4 pages ago.

I didn't have to play it; all I have to do is think of the title and I tear up, Randammit. (By the way, Goodman didn't actually write that one; his friend Michael Peter Smith did.) But "The Dutchman" reminded me of another one about things that have slipped into the irretrievable past: John Prine's "Souvenirs." Prine often did that as a duet with Steve Goodman, as in these two links: Good audio but no video and video of the two of them but mustardy audio. Warning: Can be bawl-inducing.

Rule110 wrote:
asmodai wrote:And, you know... the biggest question of all, at least for me: Why was it called "Time"?
Spoiler:
Was that a simple way of making sure people cottoned on to the fact that the frame would change?

I expected something different. Metaphor, theme, allusion... just.. not nothing.

I mean, it was a great ride. It really was. But I can't not pick this nit.
I can't disagree more.

I've read a lot of SF stories about the distant future of humanity, on the scale of millennia or more. It's actually not one of the most popular SF motifs, at least when not wrapped up in space opera ("... a legendary forgotten planet known as earth..."), but it's been done.
Spoiler:
Sometimes it's a hero arising out of that future time who goes exploring in some forbidden zone, sometimes it's a lost time traveler, but it's almost always about discovering the future's past. Whether it's our great age of technological marvels now poignantly gone (John Cambell's classic [and vampire-free] Twilight), or how we screwed up so badly that some other species had to take over (Planet of the Apes, or just about anything by Sherri Tepper), or how the current events of the decade of the story's writing continue to be the primary force shaping the distant future (The Time Machine), or just how silly and warlike we were before the aliens found us (the back-story in lots of space opera), the important thing is... it's all about us! The year might be 227,652 AD "in the old human reckoning," but we still get to be the heroes, or at least the villains.

Well, here's the thing. Randall Munroe's Time doesn't fit that mold. It's not about us. It's about people in their own time.

We thought and sometimes wished it might be otherwise. For instance, many followers including me thought it would be cool if Megan and Cueball found the Clock of the Long Now. Because hey look, that's a thing happening in our own time. If the story became about how they found it and what effects finding it had on them, then it would be all about us after all.

Many others wanted to know (and perhaps still want to know) whether the inundation is "our" fault, a result of extrapolating present day problems (global warming) and technological hubris into our own near future, thus inadvertently damning (and damming) theirs. Because if it was, then it would be all about us after all.

Maybe some of the Beanies' knowledge or technology came from our time. Maybe not. Megan and Cueball and the Almost Forty don't know and, within the scope of this story, don't care. Maybe their folklore about castles is partly about our huge present-day cities, the two things getting conflated in the future kind of like the way we often jumble together different "ancient" architectures even though they're from millennia apart. Even if that's true, that's not what the story's about.

Why, then, put deep time (on the human scale anyhow) in the back-story? Because it's a story about time, and what time does is move on. For good or ill, we don't loom over the distant future the way we like to think we do. The continents grind together or spin apart, seas rise and fall, the earth wobbles on its axis, the stars drift out of their constellations and eventually die. And after all that, it's still now. There's a boy and girl on a beach and the time is now, the time is right now and only now, to build a castle.
That, I believe, is why it's called "Time."

@Rule110, this, I think, may be the most insightful post I've seen in almost 1300 pages of the OTT. [/.]+5 Insightful[//.]
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:22 am UTC

ucim wrote:
It has been a wowterful trip, mainly because of those I shared it with. That means you folk. All y'all. There are too many wonderful creative works in these last decapages for me to remember to list individually, but they all made me smile, cry, laugh, or otherwise experience treeishness in some form or another. I also have unfinished works I hope to share in the near future.

Jose

You might be from the South if you know that the plural of "y'all" is "all y'all"!!!

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:26 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Ace wrote:I'll be with you in the present in a bit.

If there's still a present..

There are always presents! Presents will continue long after the End of Time...

Selcouth wrote:Submitting to what-if: I think it would be more of a meaningful gesture if we all submitted the same thing, showing that we're colluding, though. I don't know.

I think this is a good idea, for OTTers to unite. :)

Slight blindpost to say: let's let things cool off for a day or two before we start trying to communicate with GLR. Too easy for that sort of thing to go wrong.

Otherwise... I don't have the eloquence to add much to the conversation right now. So I'll just say it simply, it has been a privilege to lurk along with all y'all (and occasionally participate), and I won't be going anywhere any time soon. I might check in less often (could hardly check in more often than I had lately), but I'll be around. I might even find time to post a little OTC-related project I've been contemplating this weekend.

Speaking of weekends. The OTT always slows down, probably much more so this time... especially compared with today! :shock: So when that happens, Don't Panic. We're still here, just not quite so... intensely.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: The River is Small...

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:27 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:What about simply starting a thread in another part of the forum, where we each just post our own personal message to Randall, to say thanks? And as a bonus, mention some useful, positive, constructive thing that we've been inspired to do as a result (start running, learn astronomy, build a castle...)

Better yet. Collect all messages in one place and then send one letter (+email) to Randall.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

Just as I was going to ask you for a wallpaper.

Hm. Except that it's too small.

Anyway, I'm going comatose for a dozen hours or so; I'll possibly hallucinate too.
Spoiler:

Lots of planning to do. Meanwhile, your mission, should you choose to accept it, involves writing about the closure of the Strait of Gibraltar. I had the inception of an idea last night. The last lines of the prologue go like this:
He looked up to the skies, the moon smiling at him in broad daylight.

That was, after all, the only piece of the Moon still at a stable orbit.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Chinchokmataa

Postby Chinchokmataa » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:30 am UTC

On the subject of things to do for the end of TIme:
- I definitely think we can have another crack at beanish, however, I will caution that we shouldn't get our hopes up on making too much progress. The data we have about it is rediculously small compared to what would be ideal in order to really have a good go at it. However, it would be nice to know what we can. I'll post some things we can do tomorrow

-I personally think we should continue to update every newpix with a new custom image. In fact, if we were really dedicated, I think it could be neat if we made a collective fan project making new panels to continue Time

-Also, I have a prediction: Our distress progresses to a rare extra stage past acceptance, which involves a conversion to extreme ludditism. We create a plan to knock to human race back to the stone age, and put it into action successfully. Then, we all move to Europe and put into place a strong dam to sever the Mediterranean's connection to the Atlantic. We eventually move to southern France and create a tribal community. Over time, that tribe splits into a variety of others, a group of scholars in the mountains, a group of hill-dwellers, and a group of 39 scavengers, who move down into the Mediterranean basin as it starts to dry up.

Meanwhile, Blitzgirl travels forward in time and ages backwards, and is found and adopted one day by the group of 39 and named La Petite.

Later, Two of the group of 40 decide to spend a day at the beach. Thus begins Time.

Extra:
Exodies wrote:How long are these pauses and do we distinguish between a comma pause and full stop pause by length or by semantic content? Are the pauses visible in wave diagrams or do we imagine them? Do people really say "nucular" or is it a trick of the ears?

The actual intonation used for a sentence can vary widely depending on the semantics/pragmatics involved. It is honestly best to understand it not as "pronounced puncuation" but as a set of intonations that are associated with certain types of sentences.

For the most part, no, there are not actual pauses between words or clauses in actual running speech.

Also yes, people do say "nucular" (IPA /nukjulər/) instead of "nuclear" (/nukliər/). Some linguists think the variant came about by analogy with words like "binoculars" or "molecular", with the actual parsing being something like nuke-cular.

(Okay everyone, gotta molpydown).
Last edited by Chinchokmataa on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:34 am UTC

Blindpost, NP 1180

edo's signature wrote:Biltzers: There is a new commandment: The end.

:shock:

edo, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, but if Time has ended, and you have chosen to broadcast this spoiler to myself and every other blitzer and ketchupper throughout Time by way of your signature, I'm going to come to the present and kick your ass.

Alternatively, if this is a joke and it's not the actual alt-text, or if it is the actual alt-text but Randall's toying with us and Time hasn't actually ended (and you put it in your signature anyway knowing how it will be interpreted), I'm going to come to the present and kick your ass.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”