1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

b2bomberkrh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby b2bomberkrh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:38 am UTC

I don't think I've ever posted my molpydown at night before, but it seemed appropriate after watching The End as it happened. I hope everyone sleeps well tonight, remembering that the reason this feels sad is because of all the happiness it has brought to your life. I, for one, have no doubt that Randall will have something more to say about this in some fashion in the future. It's going to take my chihuahuas a little time to recover, but they're already talking about joining the linguists in a last ditch crack at Beanish.

ETA: What an ironic time to be pagepope. All I can order/request is that you keep your spirits up, remember how much fun this all is, and continue to think of how you want to thank Randall, and keep in touch with all your friends here. Oh, and animal pictures on this page have to be your own!!! (Kermit and Jar Jar insist!)

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:41 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:Blindpost, NP 1180

edo's signature wrote:Blitzers: There is a new commandment: The end.

:shock:

edo, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, but if Time has ended, and you have chosen to broadcast this spoiler to myself and every other blitzer and ketchupper throughout Time by way of your signature, I'm going to come to the present and kick your ass.

Alternatively, if this is a joke and it's not the actual alt-text, or if it is the actual alt-text but Randall's toying with us and Time hasn't actually ended (and you put it in your signature anyway knowing how it will be interpreted), I'm going to come to the present and kick your ass.

It's a very rare thing for me, but I'd love to stay awake and see that happening.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

highwater

Postby highwater » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:43 am UTC

Prediction: It is currently April Fool's Day. Thus continues Time, tomorrow.

ETA (per semi-recent papal decree): All y'all are awesome, especially GLR (we know you're at least spy-reading) and I'm really chirping glad I joined-in before the end-of Time (but not Times? nudge-nudge-wink-wink). I found your customs to be odd at first, but I now-have-overcame that fear, to realize that such things have and will keep us going until the true end of time (sic).

Spoiler:
Edit to fix off-by-one error.
Edit to remove off-by-one-errors perpetrating as math.
Edit for semi-recent papal decree(s?)?

Redundant-ETA:
Spoiler:
Should have molpy-down'd:
228768-R1-01-2.jpg
and posted in the [heretical]morningish[/heretical] when I could do math.
Last edited by highwater on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:56 am UTC

Valarya wrote:Oh hell, why not. This is the third time Facebook has been brought up. Please add me Time buddies Waiters. Forever - xoxo

Disclaimer: if you don't like knowing what internet people are named IRL - don't click the above link.

Feel free to add me on Facebook as well. Same disclaimer.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:58 am UTC

Hell-o and Good-bye Time.
You had and were a Wonderful Time.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Valarya

Re: The River is Small...

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:00 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

That is so chirping beautiful. :cry:

edo's signature wrote:Biltzers: There is a new commandment: The end.

edo, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, but <snip> I'm going to come to the present and kick your ass..

Yep.. and several people have told him to change his signature. I love your post and I'm sorry on your behalf. :?

Val is molpying down, too.
Spoiler:

Oh look.. i posted at ONG time :cry: :cry: :cry:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:08 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I think this raises an interesting question for your religion here.

Did the Creator have every step of the OTC planned out from the start, or is he allowing his characters free will and their world some randomness (i.e. making shit up as he goes along)?

{P1125}
We don't have free will, we have physics. It would be a massive amount of work to devise a story which did have free will in its fictional universe; probably incomprehensible as it doesn't really mean anything.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

jeffallen55

Postby jeffallen55 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:11 am UTC

Well, buouys and gulls, I'll see you all after my coma. I'll continue to Wait for it because GLR never told us what to wait for. Something may happen tomorrip. If not in Randallverse, then in some other aspect of my life, and I don't want to be caught unawares.

Molpy (going) down!
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:12 am UTC

CFS wrote:
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
mscha wrote:SorrONG...
I am sorry.
Your language is like those
spoken by the ...ffiou...
... but I learned it.

Ooh! Something I just remembered: A few years back, I was learning Spanish. (I've since forgotten almost all of it.) Then, later, I met someone who spoke Portuguese. And I couldn't understand all of what they were saying, but a lot of the words were similar to Spanish ones I knew, so I could get a sense of their meaning. And I get a similar feeling whenever I try to read Dutch (which I don't know, but I do know English and some German). If I had to illustrate what that looked like, it would be somewhat like GLR's drawing.

...Perhaps she's actually speaking Dutch? Has mscha appeared in the OTC?

I only speak English, and I couldn't make anything at all out of Dutch when I was in Amsterdam. The J's where just too odd.

Marihuana seems to be much stronger than back in the day.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:18 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yay ONG! I get so happy when I see an ONG now.

ETA: Oh yeah, colors. OTT's still moving too fast for decrees, looks like. Rosetta I see as a dark magenta/faded rose color, naturally.

I don't think people even saw my decree (or even my post?) a few/bunch of NPs back... OTT moving too fast.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:23 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote: so - I only have two options on the table.

Global Thermonuclear War? :shock:

Ronald
Spoiler:

edo

Postby edo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:28 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

edo, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, but <snip> I'm going to come to the present and kick your ass..

Yep.. and several people have told him to change his signature. I love your post and I'm sorry on your behalf. :?

Spoiler:

Changed. I'm sure no one will like this one either, but more than anything, I was trying to be helpful. There will be no cake for Minim, when she arrives, no one will welcome her. Is that what you want? They won't get the consolation we've been getting. No shoulder for them o cry on. Whatever. I guess it's just a stupid webcomic. I was deluding myself into thinking it was more. That this was more.

I won't promise that this is my last post, but it feels like it.
Last edited by edo on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:35 am UTC

Molpy down (and out)

"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:39 am UTC

Bummed out about the end of Time?

Spoiler:

Edit: double post? Does it really matter now?
Spoiler:
I did wait 4 minutes!
Last edited by Davidy on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:41 am UTC

Charm Quark wrote:
SinusPi wrote:As for the BIG WORDS, it might even go as far as convey her attempt to overlay onto English some language features not present in it - specific tone of voice for an apology or request, honorific forms, etc.

I think this is a good interpretation...it's definitely significant that the punctuation marks are in Beanish. Either the pattern of enunciation associated with questions and statements is different in Beanish, or the circle and the line are suffixes that denote questions and statements in Beanish. I lean toward the former, as Hairdo has done a pretty good job sticking to correct Unglish grammar in the rest of her speech, while there is some reason to believe that she's pronouncing or enunciating words in a confusing way.

ETA: Sorry about my clutter-o-genic comments. My idea to expand the thread into a mini-forum was an attempt to give people places to post where they wouldn't have to worry about being seaish at the expense of blitzers, and I would certainly never support a situation where the OTT would be reduced to on topic only discussion. I can see though that in many ways the current system is optimal.

{P1126}
LTF it's not clear that Blitzers are in a hurry; the point is to consume the Tread as it is, not to have it served in a bite sized snack with fries.

We have had four vocalisations so far:
MeCue - for which the Tardis has done her job and presented it to us in written English
Chirp - ditto
Surveyors - the presentation is not as it sounds to MeCue but as it sounds to the Surveyors.
The Librarian - could have been Mecue's language written in Grandell's home made alphabet but it's presented again by the Tardis who is struggling to cope with the Librarian's thick tongue.

So, there isn't a vocalisation pattern, but a mixture of <insert your favourite word here>

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:45 am UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
ucim wrote:"water, Helen" phase?

Jose

...back when Cueball was first trying to speak Beanong...
"i learned a word. Water. Probably."

Similar to the Helen Keller first word story...

Do you know Helen's favourite colour? (I'll edit in the answer when I get here).
ETA Corduroy.
Last edited by Exodies on Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:48 am UTC

edo wrote:
Valarya wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Changed. I'm sure no one will like this one either, but more than anything, I was trying to be helpful. There will be no cake for Minim, when she arrives, no one will welcome her. Is that what you want? They won't get the consolation we've been getting. No shoulder for them o cry on. Whatever. I guess it's just a stupid webcomic. I was deluding myself into thinking I was more. That this was more.

edo, dear edo, don't feel that way. It's because it's not just a webcomic that people have, and always had, strong feelings about it. And just like a book or movie with a story that people care about, a spoiler really ruins it for some people. I do understand that you wanted to let blitzers know that if they wanted to be here for the end, they should hurry. But maybe a more vague warning would have been better.

And I'll still be here for the blitzers when they get to the present! And I hope you will too! :)

ETA that just because Time is ending is no reason to start talking about kicking people's asses.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

rvloon

Re: So it has come to this.

Postby rvloon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:57 am UTC

dm214 wrote:I guess the blog project is now moot.

What about a book?

I already suggested this, a few/bunch of NPs back.

Ronald
Spoiler:

rainycity1

Postby rainycity1 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:59 am UTC

Since there still seem to be updates since "The End", I'm not sure if I'm done watching.... keeping an eye out to see if it's just a loop, though...
"xkcd: Lowering workplace productivity since 2005!" - by lmjb1964

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:00 am UTC

BONG
Did her head just turn???
Last edited by Latent22 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:04 am UTC

{P1126}
The sig clouds are darkening
If you get to the present and there is no one there to welcome you, don't blame me. I was just trying to be helpful.

decet

Postby decet » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:04 am UTC

Thank you, all of you. You have been the most spirited, clever and resourceful tour guides through this adventure I could have wished for. I could never have enjoyed Time as profoundly without you. I love you.

decet

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:20 am UTC

edo wrote:Changed. I'm sure no one will like this one either,

No, that one's really not better at all. I honestly believe you're not trying to ch*rp people off, but somehow you're not doing a very good job of it.

There will be no cake for Minim, when she arrives, no one will welcome her. Is that what you want?

No, it's not and there will be. Promised.

Whatever. I guess it's just a stupid webcomic. I was deluding myself into thinking it was more. That this was more.

It IS more, that's why people feel so strongly about it. Like you, people telling you to not put spoilers (the spoiler of all spoilers, really) into your sig want to be helpful, they've just come to a different conclusion of what is helpful... Some of the blitzers might want to know, others might not. I think the former have other ways to learn about it, but the latter don't have any way to not know because of your sig (the old one just as well as the new one). So once again, please consider changing it :(

No, by all means stay!
Go Minim go!

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:22 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:(snip)

Firstly, Every Newframe's Awefulsome
(Based on "The Major General's Song" from Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance, originally ottified by ZoomanSP here, with some lines modified by me because I found the originals too hard to fit the rhythm or just too hard to say. Needless to say, this one was the biggest challenge to sing!)

Next, The Knights Temporal Song
(Based on "Knights of the Round Table" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, originally ottified by me here - and with some lines improved upon from the original)

And finally, Megan and Cue
(Based on "Winnie the Pooh", originally ottified by me here)

And downloads for all!

I Image you all.

Yappobiscuits, I just had a chance to listen to these three and they all are brilliant! Bravo! I'm very much in awe of your creativity and abilities.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:26 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:taixco
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:<snip>...there are no original castles in America, but there are a few replicas built by very wealthy people.
There's at least one original: ‘Atop the most southerly hill in a chain known as the Seven Sisters, William Hooker Gillette, noted actor, director, and playwright, built this one hundred and eighty-four acre estate, the Seventh Sister. The focal point of his effort was a twenty four room mansion reminiscent of a medieval castle.
Purchased by the State of Connecticut in 1943 from the executors of Mr. Gillette's will, Gillette Castle and the adjoining property with its fine woodlands, trails, and vistas are now administered for the enjoyment of present and future generations. This apparently would have pleased Gillette, since his will gave specific directions to see that the property did not fall into the hands "of some blithering saphead who has no conception of where he is or with what surrounded." This statement also points out the value Gillette placed upon his estate and the apprehension he felt about its disposition.’ (From the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection website - I have no idea what they have to do with Gillette Castle, but theirs is the best write-up; scroll down to the ‘Overview’ section.)

It's not an original castle, in the sense that it was built as "I want to have a castle", rather than "We need to defend the nobility of this area against invasion, so let's build thick walls and guard towers." I don't think that Connecticut was ever a feudal system.

{P1127}
Er, I think it was more like "while me and my bully boys are stealing from these local peasants, we need somewhere safe where they can't get in and reclaim the fruits of their labour"

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:30 am UTC

GONG
Last edited by Latent22 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:30 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:(snip)

Firstly, Every Newframe's Awefulsome
(Based on "The Major General's Song" from Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance, originally ottified by ZoomanSP here, with some lines modified by me because I found the originals too hard to fit the rhythm or just too hard to say. Needless to say, this one was the biggest challenge to sing!)

Next, The Knights Temporal Song
(Based on "Knights of the Round Table" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, originally ottified by me here - and with some lines improved upon from the original)

And finally, Megan and Cue
(Based on "Winnie the Pooh", originally ottified by me here)

And downloads for all!

I Image you all.

Yappobiscuits, I just had a chance to listen to these three and they all are brilliant! Bravo! I'm very much in awe of your creativity and abilities.

Oooh, almost missed these.... :oops:
Awefulsome! :D
Go Minim go!

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:48 am UTC

De-comad (late morning) had some breakfast, waited for it a bit, then opened the OTT to see what's been happening since the beach-scrunch, and Sweet Sassy Molassy! Twenty seven NP to ketchup! WTF has been happening?

Well now I know, so it's time for this little song - with a shout-out to Carol Burnett:

I'm so glad we've had this Time together
Just to have a laugh or sing a song
Seems we just got started and before you know it
Comes the time that we'll all miss... the ONG...

So long, and thanks for all the cake...
(
Last edited by mikro2nd on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

libra

Postby libra » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:55 am UTC

That was indeed a fitful coma. I take it that the source of newpix did dry up during the night, then.

Echousb

Postby Echousb » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:09 am UTC

It can't be the end !
"We don't understand everything yet"

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:31 am UTC

No more Wait ONG!

The end of time still makes me sad even now. Oh well. Has been a wonderful trip anyway.

I wonder what it would have been like to be posting at the start when the ONG's were coming every 30minutes like this. I'm so used to the 1 hour ONG.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:47 am UTC

Listing my facebook profile for any otters who want to friend me. https://www.facebook.com/thetatiana

Goodreads here http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/180908-tatiana

All otters welcome to friend me! We can't just let this community dissolve away. It's too great!

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:03 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:...
...I want to know what happened to Pricklymolp... :cry:

Spoiler:

Me too, Blitzgirl, me too!

Sorry for the double post. Was posting from a few pages back. Will be more careful.
Last edited by Tatiana on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:04 am UTC

2 MOLPIES ONG!

Here are two of my Molpies that I just took a picture of to try and cheer everyone up!
2molpies.jpg

Added you Tatiana :)

libra

Postby libra » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:14 am UTC

This forum will likely stand as an unchallenged record holder for the rest of XKCD. 50,000 posts, and 1270+pages. It will take something bigger even than Time to beat this forum thread.

And something like that would have to be many years in the making, no doubt.

This indeed has been, is and ever will be the One True Thread.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:17 am UTC

libra wrote:This forum will likely stand as an unchallenged record holder for the rest of XKCD. 50,000 posts, and 1270+pages. It will take something bigger even than Time to beat this forum thread.

And something like that would have to be many years in the making, no doubt.

This indeed has been, is and ever will be the One True Thread.

Maybe he could do Time part 2 some time! I'm only dreaming of course :(

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:23 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I've never been particularly afraid of shedding my anonymity here (I've had my soundcloud and youtube links all over the place and never been bothered about revealing my name or my voice), so since facebook's come up, here's mine, feel free to add me, dear fellow OTTers. Is it possible to leave notes with friend requests? I dunno. If it is, be sure to let me know who you are because I don't accept people I don't know. If not... well I'll just have to relax my own rules a bit because I do love you all :P

Fool that I am, here's mine as well cellocgw . If you're shocked at what you see, well, sorry :oops: :twisted:

BTW, there's a famous rule in show biz, "Always leave them wanting more." GLR did that. Consider how awful the alternative, if the OTC had dragged on forever and we all started getting the feeling we were reading because we had to, rather than because we wanted to.

OK, off to mod my .sig.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:23 am UTC

"The end."
I suppose now I have to return to the outside...
Who am I kidding there's no such thing as the *Outside*.
I think I will go sit on the lurking lounge and wait for all of Time( again).
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”