1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kazza3

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kazza3 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:41 am UTC

Blindpost: NP1235

edo wrote:If you get to the present and there is no one there to welcome you, don't blame me. I was just trying to be helpful.

I never harboured such delusions anyway. I was being intentionally over the top with the 'kick your ass' comment, but really, this thread has had such a thing for ensuring a pleasant, spoiler-free trip for those in the past, how could showing them the king of spoilers be helpful?
Also, I spose you're not the only one, this
Dracomax wrote:Blitz faster! The future is ending!

is along similar lines, but not quite as explicit.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:43 am UTC

CFS wrote:I thought for a second that it might be identical to give more time to read this l o n g Rosetta speech. Seems too strange, though, that the picture hasn't updated.

ETA: I know there's a lot of us new-posters/lurkers adding to the thread now. I hope its not too much of a problem for you old-TIMErs like Mscha, Blitzgirl, Hal9000 and the like.

{P1140}
On the contrary, it's the best thing to have happened recently.
On the subject of posts, I'd like to encourage y'all to post in whatever language you feel like. Of course you are more likely to be understood in English, but understanding is overrated; variety is more important.
Moïn. Glëcklech Sonndeg Blitzers.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:58 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:Blindpost: NP1235

edo wrote:If you get to the present and there is no one there to welcome you, don't blame me. I was just trying to be helpful.

I never harboured such delusions anyway. I was being intentionally over the top with the 'kick your ass' comment, but really, this thread has had such a thing for ensuring a pleasant, spoiler-free trip for those in the past, how could showing them the king of spoilers be helpful?
Also, I spose you're not the only one, this
Dracomax wrote:Blitz faster! The future is ending!

is along similar lines, but not quite as explicit.

Given that I have had that one up for well over a week, I have no regrets. :twisted:
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 am UTC

jabelch wrote:Why not delurk? I always felt the urge to join in on the fun but never did. I feel like I've missed a boat that's come into port for the last time. I just hope the party keeps going for awhile and people aren't too tired to go home for good. I suppose I can never attain the same level of friendship that you all have but I would be a fool if I never tried.

Today I'm letting go of the diode (#814)

Welcome, jabelch! I love seeing lurkers delurk to say hello! :)

Exodies wrote:On the subject of posts, I'd like to encourage y'all to post in whatever language you feel like. Of course you are more likely to be understood in English, but understanding is overrated; variety is more important.
Moïn. Glëcklech Sonndeg Blitzers.

It's all Beanish to me. Image

I'm in the midst of tagging all of the Forty in each newpix where they appear; here's the first group Cuegan meets, also referred to as the Six. Buzz's hair is annoying me in this scene, because even the tiniest shift makes him resemble one of the other eight short-haired characters, but I think I'm going to leave him identified as-is for now. (Click for larger image.)

Redundant:
Spoiler:

ID40TheSix.png

ID40TheSixSmall.png

Keywords: BGUM ID40 id 40 the Forty Cueganites Cuegan identification tags name naming names people
redundant71.png
redundant71.png (136.65 KiB) Viewed 32752 times
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:10 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm in the midst of tagging all of the Forty in each newpix where they appear; here's the first group Cuegan meets, also referred to as the Six. Buzz's hair is annoying me in this scene, because even the tiniest shift makes him resemble one of the other eight short-haired characters, but I think I'm going to leave him identified as-is for now. (Click for larger image.)

Neat! This will also help a great deal with the wiki dialogue page...
But isn't that MBB at the left in 3019?
Go Minim go!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:14 am UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:But isn't that MBB at the left in 3019?

Good catch! Fixed. :)
I should mention that the frame numbers use mscha's system.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mikro2nd

Re: XKCD 450

Postby mikro2nd » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Wow! I really didn't expect to have a 10NP ketchup this mornix.

Blindposting from 3 or 4 NP in the past, so maybe this suggestion has already been made...

mscha wrote:One unanswered question to strike off our list...

Maybe we should start a kickstarter campaign for damming the Gibraltar Straits :D Then we'll know exactly how it all comes about :P
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Ace

Postby Ace » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:26 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of? (Up until now, anyway, since there's plenty more OTT to go!) An ottification, coining a word, naming a character, writing a post that you thought was particularly good, participating in a scientific discussion, starting an OTT custom, writing a thorough wiki article, etc? I'm curious to see what everyone comes up with. :) It doesn't have to be the most "popular" thing you've done, it can be something small, just as long as you are proud of it!

I was the first to say 'Baobabs!', though my Australia theory didn't pan out. Also, I almost got an ONG once.

Also also! BlitzGirl liked the pic of my Outside meowlpy, that was neat. Meowlpy related rambling (plus link to more meowlpy pics!) below.. Spoilered, because it's a bit off topic.
Spoiler:
For the record, I have literally hundreds of meowlpy pics.. and a public photobucket with a select few. Under another username though, so, mild hesitation.. I don't even know why, it's not like it's my Outside name. Only my internet name since I was 16. Oh chirp, that's almost half my lifetime ago.

Oh, why the chirp not.. Meowlpy gallery. We do only actually have three meowlpies at present, black meowlpy, grey and white meowlpy, and fluffy tabby meowlpy. Some of the photos contain meowlpies no longer with us, for whatever reason. (One lives with another family now, for example. Long story.) All desexed, none have had kittens under our care. A couple were adopted as already desexed adults, dunno about their pasts.
Wait for it.

BlitzGirl

Down down down...

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:28 am UTC

Aw, look at all the meowlpy pictures! That's so awesomeful Ace, thanks for sharing. Image

mikro2nd wrote:Wow! I really didn't expect to have a 10NP ketchup this mornix.

Yeah, we had some good activity here todip! Thanks all for popping in and keeping the OTT hopping along!

Molpy down:
Spoiler:

It's a rabtor because I've been identifying Bunny characters lately...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:41 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:I have been incredibly reluctant to add to the wiki for fear of screwing something up. I always felt that I would leave such things to the "professionals".

Y'all shouldn't worry about screwing up a wikipage... they're all versioned, so it's easy to revert the content to what was there in a previous version: just click on the little down-arrow thingie next to the "Edit" button, and you'll be presented with a "History" option which shows all the edits made to the page. From there it is simple to see the changes for purposes of putting things back (e.g. yappobiscuits' missing video link) or for reverting the page to an earlier incarnation in it entirety.
One world, one soul

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:12 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:I'm an alcoholic, a time follower and proud of it! :D

Have a bunch of alcoholics in my family, which is kind of related to why I'm a teetotaler these days. :mrgreen: I love how the OTC gathers such diverse people.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:58 am UTC

I think I passed a post where BlitzGirl said the OTT was slowing down. WRONG! I've managed to whittle it down to being only 10 NP behind. And now it's really chirping late. I will be hating life tomorrow. Oh, well, who needs coma, am I right?

Rule110 wrote:I've read a lot of SF stories about the distant future of humanity, on the scale of millennia or more. It's actually not one of the most popular SF motifs, at least when not wrapped up in space opera ("... a legendary forgotten planet known as earth..."), but it's been done.
Spoiler:
Sometimes it's a hero arising out of that future time who goes exploring in some forbidden zone, sometimes it's a lost time traveler, but it's almost always about discovering the future's past. Whether it's our great age of technological marvels now poignantly gone (John Cambell's classic [and vampire-free] Twilight), or how we screwed up so badly that some other species had to take over (Planet of the Apes, or just about anything by Sherri Tepper), or how the current events of the decade of the story's writing continue to be the primary force shaping the distant future (The Time Machine), or just how silly and warlike we were before the aliens found us (the back-story in lots of space opera), the important thing is... it's all about us! The year might be 227,652 AD "in the old human reckoning," but we still get to be the heroes, or at least the villains.

Well, here's the thing. Randall Munroe's Time doesn't fit that mold. It's not about us. It's about people in their own time.

We thought and sometimes wished it might be otherwise. For instance, many followers including me thought it would be cool if Megan and Cueball found the Clock of the Long Now. Because hey look, that's a thing happening in our own time. If the story became about how they found it and what effects finding it had on them, then it would be all about us after all.

Many others wanted to know (and perhaps still want to know) whether the inundation is "our" fault, a result of extrapolating present day problems (global warming) and technological hubris into our own near future, thus inadvertently damning (and damming) theirs. Because if it was, then it would be all about us after all.

Maybe some of the Beanies' knowledge or technology came from our time. Maybe not. Megan and Cueball and the Almost Forty don't know and, within the scope of this story, don't care. Maybe their folklore about castles is partly about our huge present-day cities, the two things getting conflated in the future kind of like the way we often jumble together different "ancient" architectures even though they're from millennia apart. Even if that's true, that's not what the story's about.

Why, then, put deep time (on the human scale anyhow) in the back-story? Because it's a story about time, and what time does is move on. For good or ill, we don't loom over the distant future the way we like to think we do. The continents grind together or spin apart, seas rise and fall, the earth wobbles on its axis, the stars drift out of their constellations and eventually die. And after all that, it's still now. There's a boy and girl on a beach and the time is now, the time is right now and only now, to build a castle.

That, I believe, is why it's called "Time."

That's beautiful, Rule110. I like your power-up too. :)

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:

That's an amazing post, ChronosDragon. And of course we remembered you! Glad to see you're rebooting. Hopefully by the time I ketchup, you'll be fully functioning again.

I see the DragonDashery is still open. I think b2bomberkhr was hoping for a hat. I don't know if you can help xem out or not.

pelrigg wrote:Some more folks I want to tip my hat to:
Spoiler:
Thank you, buffygirl How could I have forgotten you, oh First Maker Of Great Hats.*
Thank you, edfel maker of maps
Thank you, Kieryn lord of charts
Thank you, Sciscitor another lord of charts and visualizations
Thank you, k.bookbinder does Bob have any more of those mushrooms?
Thank you, Eternal Density for being my most wonderful ninja nemisis** (and all your Summery pics)
Thank you, HES
Thank you, lmjb1964
Thank you, TheMinim
Thank you, XonqNopp
Thank you, AluisioASG
Thank you, Rule110
Thank you, htom
Thank you, taixzo
Thank you, charlie_grumbles
Thank you, spamjam
Thank you, higgs-boson
Thank you, slinches
Thank you, KarMann
Thank you, cellocgw
Thank you, TimeLurker for trusting me to answer your PM's before you started posting

To those here and in my other post for whom I didn't have a dedication: sometimes I can't remember all the seaish or riverish or neat or Wow things you did, but I do know that when I see you avator and name, I know something fun is about to happen.
And there might be some more shout-outs that I'll make. But just because I missed you (especially Elders), doesn't mean that I don't need to thank you for this and all the fish.

*@ buffygirl: I've never felt that I was worthy of one of your creations, so I never asked.
**@ Eternal Density: for all those Times we traded ninjas.

------
More *Hugs* all the way around.

Thank you, pelrigg. You know, I always read your name as "perlrigg." Now I see I was putting an extra R in. I guess I just thought you were a pearl. :) Hugs to you.

xobmaps00052 wrote:Longtime lurker here, just gotta say, 7

Took things in stried at first, but reading the past 10 or so pages of fare wells and grief, starting to get misty eyed myself.

Thanks to all the OTT posters, you have meant as much to us lurkers as the OTC, maybe more.

Welcome, xobmaps0052! We're still here!

k.bookbinder wrote:By the way, what are the chances that anyone has access to a 3D printer?

Don't know if anyone's already answered this, but there's an organization in town that does this, or helps people do 3D printing, or something. If you need that, I can find out more about how it works.

suzi wrote:Also thanks for the condolences, I lost my dinosaur-house-molpyb too soon, only 12 years old.

b African grey parrot

Oh, I'm so sorry, suzi! 12 years is way too soon. African greys are just amazing birds.

Valarya wrote:Oh hell, why not. This is the third time Facebook has been brought up. Please add me Time buddies Waiters. Forever - xoxo

Disclaimer: if you don't like knowing what internet people are named IRL - don't click the above link.

Me too! In fact, I've starting sending out friend requests. :D

BytEfLUSh wrote:
Spoiler:
I may use heretical words, but it's out of my control right now...

Well... This has been a wonderful journey. From the first pic when we thought GLR is taking the day off, the realization that the image is changing, the "I think they're building a sandcastle", the "Randall's pregnant" [sic] (and similar thoughts), "hey, JavaScript!" and many other fun moments. I never thought it would turn out to become THE most amazing xkcd ever totaling more than 50 thousand replies on its thread. So, it has come to this...

There are no words... It may have been "only" four heretical months, but the feeling you get when you see your clock change from (n):59 to (n+1):00 (or maybe (n-23):00) is amazing. I don't like ketchuping from phone (since it usually means I'm somewhere outside with my friends), but when I check the time and see it's just past ONG - I just think to myself: "Can't wait to get home to see what's going on right now"... I've been through a lot of stuff during the OTC (I posted about some, but not the most) and I had only one constant to rely on - "The ONG". Well, dear ONG, you served me well. This is by no means "5. Acceptance". I do not accept the end of Time. I just thought that this might be a good Time to share my view about this... piece of art.

I'd also like to thank all the OTTers for each and every post you made here. Every opinion, every insight, every OTTification, every Kittenmolpy, every time you ignored my drunken ramblings (special thanks for that! :)) and every post you made.

This is far from good-bye. I just feel that it's the right time to acknowledge al
Also, I drank "a few" beers, but that doesn't matter.l of you.

Well said, byteflush. (It's especially impressive if you had a few beers before writing it. :wink: ) Thanks and hugs to you too.

Goggalor wrote:It ended..?
Spoiler:
I haven't posted lately because it was all moving so quickly I was waiting for it to slow back down, but now it's over and it's kind of hard to grasp.
I know I wasn't the most regular or dedicated or prolific of posters here, but I'm going to miss y'all. I'll keep checking here and the wiki for any kind of post-OTC groups.

Coming home to this really hasn't helped the chirpy mood I've been in :|

It sure was a lot of fun though.

EDIT: I have a facebook and tumblr (and that's it as far as I'm aware), so shoot me a message if you want to know.

Goggalor, nice to see you! We're still here!

BytEfLUSh wrote:ETA: Sorry if my reply seemed harsh, it wasn't meant to be that way. Maybe I'm just angry. OK, what stage is that? :?

Um, the anger stage?

ucim wrote:I'll still be around.
Spoiler:
The end of Time is not the end of time, for we carry Time with us as we go through time. There are many still hundreds, even over a thousand pages behind, that are still experiencing Time in their own time. They will not be left to a sterile world but a still-vibrant one here in the One True Thread. There are even people who have yet to see the Beginning of Time, who will soon See The Light. We must ensure that it does not fade.

It has been a wowterful trip, mainly because of those I shared it with. That means you folk. All y'all. There are too many wonderful creative works in these last decapages for me to remember to list individually, but they all made me smile, cry, laugh, or otherwise experience treeishness in some form or another. I also have unfinished works I hope to share in the near future.

Hugs all around, especially to lmjb1964 and to suzi, whose Outside life is also challenging at this point. It will pass. We must always follow the First and Original Commandment; it is the one that frames all of life.

Molpy down... knowing that when we molpy up tomorrow, we'll still be here. (Sheesh - where else could we go that's anything like this place?)

Jose

Thanks for the hugs, Jose, as well as all you brought to the OTT. Let me know when you start filming Acts of the Clerics. (But remind me to keep my timpani safely out of the way. :shock:

OK, molpy down.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I don't know what the chirp it is either, but it came up on a "cute sleeping animals" search. :shock:

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:09 am UTC

@jjjDavidson and others have mentioned being shy. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it sometimes gets in the way. I found this to be helpful in overcoming my own shyness:
http://fooldevil.com/patterns/IntrovertExtrovert.html.

It is also available as part of the book Pedagogical Patterns, which is directed at teachers of technical subjects, especially Computer Science. I have a copy on my bookshelf.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Re: An Idea and a Proposal

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:22 am UTC

Firstpost bump:
elangeland wrote:
HES wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:Something I would treasure would be an Annotated Book of Time.

I have in mind something like a book where each right-hand page shows just one frame of Time, with the left-hand page containing curated annotations taken from the OTT as they occurred when the facing frame was current - some edited version of what the OTTers were speculating, predicting, filking, punning,... what religions were arising and a-falling (or is that apalling?) right at that time.

Anyone up for helping with it? If we each do a couple of pages a day it shouldn't take more than... oh... 4 months?

A very similar idea was proposed, if not started, a very, very long time ago (everything old is new again). Struggling to find it though.

I have followed the OTC and OTT from the first day of Time; I can't believe that I didn't get around to posting before the end of Time. I'm sad to see it end - especially so suddenly - but part of me is also relieved to see it end seemingly happily.

I would love to see an Annotated Book of Time - actually any published version of the OTC would be great, or even a movie version. If that comes to pass then we'd need to do a Pop-up-Video style annotated version. Unfortunately, life doesn't leave me much time to help (two kids at home with a third on the way, and my job as a SysAdmin leave little spare time to spread around), but I would be happy to proofread, if nothing else.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that Time ended on SysAdmin Day (Google it - I can't include a URL yet)?

Welcome to the OTT, elangeland!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:27 am UTC

Exodies wrote:Don't forget all the tee shirt transfers he has to iron on, posters to print, tawdry jew-jaws he has to wrap up and post, speeches to write and deliver. He's prolly also the HR department for his team of sysadmins and forum moderators - hiring, firing and paying their salaries, social security, health care, pension. And don't get me started on all the work involved in paying taxes, complying with environmental regulations, health and safety in the workplace laws, copyright infringement avoidance. Then there's the constant barrage of malicious court cases from people who wished they had said that and got themselves a shyster lawyer to prove they did. And all for what? A miserable pittance. The square root of diddlysquat. Kudos, sure, by the bucketload, but that won't put cake on the table or pay for a livoried attendant in his private elevator.

I don't know how he does it. I barely have time to read the bloody Tread.

Actually, overcompensating and wigu ended for just these reasons. Miss 'em.
-- Charlie Grumbles

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

rONG
Teasing the loopists on the 1k frames event.. I was a lurker then, but I distinctly remember the OTT gaining one level in madness at that time :)
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

It still wasn't a bad dream. Image

ChronosDragon: good to see you finally managed to reboot successfully! Interesting side project...

That's a ⁷tiful photomanip, Goggalor! I did some googling, and I found these higher resolution versions of the base image, if you'd like to make a larger version. (And with some more googling: it's Haystack Rock, OR, USA.)
kasmeneo, that's a really ⁷ baobabification! It's extra special because it's your own photo (⁷ again), my manip photo's were all just googled.

ucim wrote:
Angelastic wrote:When We Go
an ottification of When You Go by Jonathan Coulton
link to youtube version

In the YouTube sidebar, I noted a link to this ⁴ video of JoCo's “A Laptop Like You”, by someone well know to us. I hope she doesn't mind me posting it, but I thought it was ⁷some and y'all needed to see it. (It has a bit of “When You Go” at the end, so it's All Related.)

Exodies, please do keep posting your messages from the past! I may not have anything to comment on them, but I do read & appreciate 'em. (Will be a while before you read this, though...)
Last edited by mscha on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

-- Charlie Grumbles

ryaaan

Postby ryaaan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:@jjjDavidson and others have mentioned being shy. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it sometimes gets in the way. I found this to be helpful in overcoming my own shyness:
[link removed since I'm not allowed to post 'em]

It is also available as part of the book Pedagogical Patterns, which is directed at teachers of technical subjects, especially Computer Science. I have a copy on my bookshelf.

Delurking to recommend the book Quiet by Susan Cain. Went a long way to persuade me that there's nothing wrong with having an introverted temperament, that being introverted doesn't necessarily mean that you can't also still have confidence in yourself at the same time, and finally that there are often many positive traits that come bundled along with shyness. Recognising some of these traits in myself made me feel much more content with my introversion. It's also a helpful reminder (along with this thread) that there are millions more like us out there.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
<snip>

per old papal decree: When in Paso Robles some time ago, I took some pix of rather friendly squirpies... I tried to get closeups but they were so friendly and they usually got so close they were out of frame. Here's one of the better ones.

Jose
edit: playing with the attachment thing. Here's what I figured out:
If you upload an attachment, place it inline, preview it, right click on the image to get the URL, put that URL inside img tags, you'll put the image where you want it, and there will be a redundant attachment. If you delete the attachment (from the post), the attachment remains on xkcd, the URL remains valid, and the image inside img tags remains visible and quotable, without the need for a spoilered redundancy.

It's what I did here. Let me know if this did not work.

Blindposting during ketchup, so I'm sure this is massively ninja'd, but it did NOT work. I get the word "IMAGE" and no actual image.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

mikro2nd

The One True Ale

Postby mikro2nd » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

Working on a new beer recipe for my brewday tomorrow, so I decided to name it in honour of the OTC and OTT. Others have offered their artistry and skill in OTTifications, graphs, maps, stats, scripts and insanity; I offer, for those who may be interested in trying their own spin on it, my meagre effort, the OTT's first homebrew recipeߧ

Ale What-d'If
Along the lines of a Belgian Pale Ale
(All Grain Recipe, 30L batch)

Malts:
5kg Pale 2-row malt
1.5kg Munich 10L malt
750G Crystal 20L malt
Single-infusion mash at 67C, 60min.
Mashout at 74C, 15min.

Hops:
Cascade 35g, 60min.
Saaz 25g, 5min.
(might want to increase the Cascades a bit to 50g, but the recipe is still in development, so I'm going a bit conservative at first - I want this to be a really well-balanced session ale.)

Adjuncts:
Sweet Orange Peel, 25g added to boil 5min before flame-out
Black Peppercorns (crushed), 10g to boil for 5min

ETA Specifics: OG 1.048, FG 1.013 according to Brewtarget, but I'll bet on it being 1.012. IBU 22 BU/GU 0.46. ABV 4.6%.

Use your favourite Belgian Ale yeast - mine is a slurry cultured from a bottle of Maredsous Dubbel (so very likely Duvel house yeast.)
Start fermentation at 18, but allow it to run uncontrolled as high as it wants - like the sea it knows what it's doing.
I guess that primary fermentation will last 10-14 days. Secondary,... well, how patient are you? Can you Wait for It? I've Waited as long as 6 months with this particular yeast, and the results are spectacular. In view of the OTC connection I'll suggest 4 months. Just enough time to enjoy a comic strip. (Just kidding - we should be able to bottle/keg this in a month to 6-weeks.)

BTW The specialty malts I'm using are from Malterie du Chateau in Belgium. It really is all related.

ߧAs far as I know, anyway.
One world, one soul

kasmeneo

Postby kasmeneo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

mscha wrote:kasmeneo, that's a really ⁷ baobabification! It's extra special because it's your own photo (⁷ again), my manip photo's were all just googled.

Thanks! I fixed the image, I noticed I had turned all the white to transparent, even inside the heads and bags.
But googled or not, your Baobab Alley manip was just magnificient. Randall's silhouettes really blended in perfectly.

Just a side note: having been there, it was already the original frame that struck me as "unrealistic", as the terrain around the alley is totally flat.
It's cooler up here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:As an aid in keeping in touch here is a list of the "home" pages of 80, mostly frequent, posters here. I know I've missed many and can update it as needed. It is helpful in finding all the posts of, say, BlitzGirl. I'm especially likely to miss those who haven't appeared for a while. I'll try to add those who post in future and will pick up a few from the list of those present.

enjoy

You can also use Kieryn's Credits page for this. Click on the post count to search for that user's posts in the OTT. (It's currently weeks out of date, so relatively recent delurkers will be missing. But I'm sure Kieryn will update it again when he's back from his travels.)

mikro2nd, your Ale What-d'If looks tasty! Not a homebrewer myself, but if I'm ever in the neighborhood (not likely, I'm afraid), I'll be sure to pick some up!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

mscha wrote:You can also use Kieryn's Credits page for this. Click on the post count to search for that user's posts in the OTT. (It's currently weeks out of date, so relatively recent delurkers will be missing. But I'm sure Kieryn will update it again when he's back from his travels.)

Yes, and much more useful, generally, but I notice it is slow. He may be taking bandwidth hits. You too, I'd guess.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Trurl

Postby Trurl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

So, Time has officially ended - unfortunately while I was not looking for it. However, There's comfort in the thought that Cueball and Megan now at least have a map - a good start for exploration and for "knowing everything".

What I learned is: To wait for Mr. Munroe's next ingenious contraption. He has a good track record of those :-)

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

I'm still on NP 1267, but this post:

Dracomax wrote:*Holds out fiddle*
"Gentlemen, it has been a privilege playing with you tonight."
*Begins playing one last tune as the waves rise to our ankles.*

And also yappo's new 7someful recordings, and basically all of you, inspired me to write this:

The Waiting Song
an ottification of The Drinking Song by Moxy Früvous (also available as sung by a cruise ship lounge singer to the complete surprise and delight of the audience, and recognised and sung along to to the complete surprise and delight of the singer, and with surprise harmonies by Paul Sabourin to the delight of everyone)

And the band played on
As the Cueganites went forth
Still posting songs at the last of the ONGs
To fill the thread henceforth.

Spoiler:
We all still rock. To the end, no flames could engulf us
Every OTTer a friend
We lived through the fade and the comfy foam maiden
Peeking up the yurt of the end
And we'd wait.

Two chirping hours for one pixel
When each pixie's a muse.
We wrote enough fanfic
To fill the Atlantic
Flooded the Med with haikus

And the band played on

Between frames, we said, "we're inside Plato's cave!"
Just waiting around, molpy up, molpy down
Till we're no longer looking Outside
And we'd wait.
Ever noticed how waiting's like life?
Never know what will come
And the end of ourself
comes with ninjas and stealth,
so we best keep the wait AWEFULSOME!

And the band played on

Then it's gone.
They're saved from the edge of disaster.
Whether it's right or it's wrong
We forced out a chortle,
Played through in Portal,
Sang a few bars of some pretty old song:

Molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine
Molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine

Oh, the vines, their bittersweet wine of extinction
Tethered under the sea
No-one to feed for the dead do not need...
Till the fish find fruit and so do we.

And the band played on

Till 'THE END', said the ONG so overtly that newpix.
No more whispers of 'bye'
But we were so ardent,
We pleaded and bargained,
Sure that it couldn't just die.

We all still rock,
Who says End of Time's Armageddon?
Our tribe wanders in,
Towards something great for them
We'll never wait again
Can't really call that a loss or a win

'Cause the band plays on
As we Cueganites go forth
Rich with free time at the end of the line
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yeah. I think the general "let's go exploring!" is somehow more satisfying than "let's see what's through here!" as a final line, though. Not completely sure why.
It's much more open-ended.

Exodies wrote:On the subject of posts, I'd like to encourage y'all to post in whatever language you feel like. Of course you are more likely to be understood in English, but understanding is overrated; variety is more important.
Sure. Post in Beanish. We'll have more text to work with. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

This way

Spoiler:
this_way.png

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:This way

Spoiler:
this_way.png

What a wonderful interpretation, Ximenez! Bravo!

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

I am Inspired by so many talented people whose representations of Time(visual and written) are just so.... admirable, amazing, astonishing, astounding, awe-inspiring, awesome, brilliant, cool, divine, dynamite, enjoyable, excellent, fabulous, fantastic, fine, groovy, incredible, magnificent, marvelous, miraculous, outstanding, phenomenal, pleasant, pleasing, prime, remarkable, sensational,staggering, startling, strange, stupendous, super, superb, surprising, swell, terrific, tremendous, unheard-of, wondrous, wonderful and neat*a **b.
I felt like making my favourite frame colourful and this is what I created...

*a Thesaurus is a useful dinosaur
**b Was outraged "neat" was not listed as a synonym for wonderfull

Redundant:
Spoiler:
f1917.png
FaceBug
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:The Waiting Song
an ottification of The Drinking Song by Moxy Früvous

⁷tastic, Angelastic! Image

ETA: and ⁴ colorizations, Ximenez and adnapemit!

ETPDB:
ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yeah. I think the general "let's go exploring!" is somehow more satisfying than "let's see what's through here!" as a final line, though. Not completely sure why.
It's much more open-ended.

I still prefer “I wonder where we'll float next.”.
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

Beesnaking you with another experiment. Here's an old papal request:
no redundant spoiler in this post. Instead, I've put it in this post, which is acting as an image archive for this experiment. (Can't delete the file or it disappears, but I think the redundancy need not exist in the same post).

Let me know if this works and is quotable.

btw, beautiful photomanips adnapenit and Fictioneer Ximenez!

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Beesnaking you with another experiment. Here's an old papal request:
no redundant spoiler in this post. Instead, I've put it in this post, which is acting as an image archive for this experiment. (Can't delete the file or it disappears, but I think the redundancy need not exist in the same post).

Yes and yes.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

btw, beautiful photomanips adnapenit and Fictioneer!
Jose

Please don't give me credit -- I was quoting and lauding Ximenez's otherworldly photomanip!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Beesnaking you with another experiment. Here's an old papal request:

btw, beautiful photomanips adnapenit and Fictioneer!

Jose

I can see it, this time!
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

dawnfire

Postby dawnfire » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Hi all,

Been lurking and watching right from the start, and just wanted to delurk to say thanks for all the fun and 7some creativity!

In honour of the OTT, and inspired by something Blitzgirl mentioned a few posts ago, here's my first stab at what seemed like an appropriate OTTification. It's not perfect but I hope you like it!

Time after Time
An OTTification of.. well... Time after Time by Cyndi Lauper
(Can't add a link here as I'm too new :( )

Blitzing through the thread I see the last ONG out of the blue
Drowning in questions, this ending cannot be true
Flashback, starry night
Lucky left behind
Wow-trees a memory

Spoiler:
Time after...

Sometimes you humble me,
The beauty in this whole thread,
Translating Beanies, solving what Rosetta said,
Then you say, "ketchup"
I fall behind
The newpixbot goes quiet

Past "The End", you can look and you will find them
Time after Time
All the OTTers will catch you, they'll be waiting
Time after Time
Time after Time
All the OTTers will catch you, they will be waiting
Time after Time

After the comic fades, the molpies all gone away
Thinking of Meg and Cue, you're wondering if they're okay
The maps, stolen
From the fortress
Will lead the Forty safe

Time after Time
Time after Time

Then you say, "ketchup"
I fall behind
The newpixbot goes quiet

Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time
All the OTTers will catch you, they will be waiting
Time after Time

Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time
Time after Time

ETA: Woo! Post finally approved - was getting worried for a while there.
Last edited by dawnfire on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

I'm still blindposting from NP1269, but all the swearing made me think of another OTTification.

End of Time
an ottification of First of May by Jonathan Coulton

I woke up this mornix
I had a scone and a large house blend
Then a little conversation with my OTTer and molpy friends
I said I'll never tire of waiting
And I hope the wait won't end
Then I saw a message in the ninja preview
As I clicked send

Spoiler:
And it said:
Ooh ooh child, what d'you think the Time wait was gonna last forever?
Ooh ooh child, now's the Time for all the people to get together
Outside

Cause it's the end of Time, end of Time
Find a chirping new pastime.
Enjoy the Outside climate
Or at least enjoy a climb
Randall says go, baby, do what he tells ya
Maybe I'll see you and we'll chirp with nostalgia
Green below you, blue above
Colour your life with the double-edged knife called chirping Outside

I thanked it for the information
I cried a little when I closed the tab
I wrote a bit of code, made some stars explode
And I tidied up the lab
I Skyped my old Outside friends
They called me lame so I called my mum
I asked her if she'd like to join me as I
tried to brave the sun.

And she said
Ooh ooh child, I thought we'd lost you to that whatsit on your computer
Ooh ooh child, I hope you don't think you're still in a first-person shooter
Outside

Write songs about a primate
Or at least Optimus Prime
If OTTers see you you can chirp with nostalgia

So we went to the park together
In the molpy-chirping midday sun
I met all kinds of people and thought
Chirp everyone!
Chirp the lady who sells ice cream
And chirp the man with the tan Shar Pei!
Everything is molpy-chirping mustard.
I feel chirped today.

And Mum said:
Ooh ooh child, open your mind and your heart, feel the spirit moving through you
Ooh ooh child, you know Outside would be nice if it chirping knew you
Outside

And sing unfilkéd ragtime
Or at least a stilted rhyme
Chirping Outside!
Chirping Outside!

I saw while schizo-schimming that someone had added a YouTube link for my last JoCo ottody. This makes me wonder if they didn't notice that the links I gave for both that one and this went to pages that had free mp3 downloads on them.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Chinchokmataa

Postby Chinchokmataa » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Actually, overcompensating and wigu ended for just these reasons. Miss 'em.

Are you sure about Overcompensating? He's posted plenty as recently as last month, and is only currently down due to site renovation as far as I know.

Unless he announced some horrible end/hiatus to Overcompensating that I missed, in which case NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

Molpy up:
Spoiler:

To all the OTTifications: there are way too many of you since my last condimenting, but I've read/listened-to/seen/liked them all!! :D

HES wrote:I hit "youtube mix" after watching that. I'm not sure if this is a brilliant idea, or a really bad one, but right now the soundtrack to my internet is pretty awesome..

Just thought I'd mention you always make me giggle. xD

Pikrass wrote:I discovered him because he made the soundtrack of Paprika, an awesome movie by Satoshi Kon.

Aww, love Paprika!

In reply to BlitzGirl on the proudest OTT moment:
- I can't link to it because, as I asked 5-6 newpages ago, I can't find the wiki-page with all the Double Dactyls. :? I did a very longish DD once and it's what I'm most proud of for sure (I'm still obsessed with ddactyls, by the way. jjjdavidson infected me with all that.)
- I love that I infected the whole thread with cupcakes, and that cupcakes have been mentioned in many filks to date. ;)
- I also like the reaction I received on the Into the West filk recently, but that's too sad right now.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:I'm still blindposting from NP1269, but all the swearing made me think of another OTTification.

End of Time
an ottification of First of May by Jonathan Coulton
Spoiler:
I woke up this mornix
I had a scone and a large house blend
Then a little conversation with my OTTer and molpy friends
I said I'll never tire of waiting
And I hope the wait won't end
Then I saw a message in the ninja preview
As I clicked send

And it said:
Ooh ooh child, what d'you think the Time wait was gonna last forever?
Ooh ooh child, now's the Time for all the people to get together
Outside

Enjoy the Outside climate
Or at least enjoy a climb
Maybe I'll see you and we'll chirp with nostalgia

I thanked it for the information
I cried a little when I closed the tab
I wrote a bit of code, made some stars explode
And I tidied up the lab
I Skyped my old Outside friends
They called me lame so I called my mum
I asked her if she'd like to join me as I
tried to brave the sun.

And she said
Ooh ooh child, I thought we'd lost you to that whatsit on your computer
Ooh ooh child, I hope you don't think you're still in a first-person shooter
Outside

Write songs about a primate
Or at least Optimus Prime

So we went to the park together
In the molpy-chirping midday sun
I met all kinds of people and thought
Chirp everyone!
Chirp the lady who sells ice cream
And chirp the man with the tan Shar Pei!
Everything is molpy-chirping mustard.
I feel chirped today.

And Mum said:
Ooh ooh child, open your mind and your heart, feel the spirit moving through you
Ooh ooh child, you know Outside would be nice if it chirping knew you
Outside

And sing unfilkéd ragtime
Or at least a stilted rhyme
Chirping Outside!
Chirping Outside!

Another ⁴ one! Image We'll need to add a 6th stage of grief: writing ottifications about it.

Angelastic wrote:I saw while schizo-schimming that someone had added a YouTube link for my last JoCo ottody. This makes me wonder if they didn't notice that the links I gave for both that one and this went to pages that had free mp3 downloads on them.

Well, YouTube links are easier for lazy people. Image
And if the guilty party (who shall rename nameless) hadn't done that, then I wouldn't have spotted that ⁴some “A Laptop Like You” video. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”