1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Selcouth

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Selcouth » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
CFS wrote:I thought for a second that it might be identical to give more time to read this l o n g Rosetta speech. Seems too strange, though, that the picture hasn't updated.

ETA: I know there's a lot of us new-posters/lurkers adding to the thread now. I hope its not too much of a problem for you old-TIMErs like Mscha, Blitzgirl, Hal9000 and the like.

{P1140}
On the contrary, it's the best thing to have happened recently.
On the subject of posts, I'd like to encourage y'all to post in whatever language you feel like. Of course you are more likely to be understood in English, but understanding is overrated; variety is more important.
Moïn. Glëcklech Sonndeg Blitzers.

I may just start randomly muttering to myself in German, you never know.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

Cake... We haven't had cake in a while.
So, in honor of all the cupcakes Valarya brought, here are a few we can share between us all!
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImage
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

markhb wrote:Thread-wise, I'm still a heretical week behind (which is over 100 pages); OTC-wise, thanks to geekwagon and the Font of Time Itself, I'm fully ketchup'd. Time has ended before I was even able to create an avatar :(

Regarding The End, while I was disappointed we never got a final, triumphant kiss between Cueball and Megan (Cueball needs to get his head in the game... Meg's all over him and he's way behind), I thought the final lines were reminiscent of the ending of Calvin & Hobbes, where Calvin says, "It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy... let's go exploring!"

Oh, now I am sad again because I am reminded of how Time ended AND how Calvin and Hobbes ended.

lmjb1964 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:By the way, what are the chances that anyone has access to a 3D printer?

Don't know if anyone's already answered this, but there's an organization in town that does this, or helps people do 3D printing, or something. If you need that, I can find out more about how it works.

Ooh. I wonder what it would take to get our Monomolpy pieces 3D printed. Vvn gave me that idea.

mikro2nd wrote:Working on a new beer recipe for my brewday tomorrow, so I decided to name it in honour of the OTC and OTT. Others have offered their artistry and skill in OTTifications, graphs, maps, stats, scripts and insanity; I offer, for those who may be interested in trying their own spin on it, my meagre effort, the OTT's first homebrew recipeߧ
Spoiler:
Ale What-d'If
Along the lines of a Belgian Pale Ale
(All Grain Recipe, 30L batch)

Malts:
5kg Pale 2-row malt
1.5kg Munich 10L malt
750G Crystal 20L malt
Single-infusion mash at 67C, 60min.
Mashout at 74C, 15min.

Hops:
Cascade 35g, 60min.
Saaz 25g, 5min.
(might want to increase the Cascades a bit to 50g, but the recipe is still in development, so I'm going a bit conservative at first - I want this to be a really well-balanced session ale.)

Adjuncts:
Sweet Orange Peel, 25g added to boil 5min before flame-out
Black Peppercorns (crushed), 10g to boil for 5min

ETA Specifics: OG 1.048, FG 1.013 according to Brewtarget, but I'll bet on it being 1.012. IBU 22 BU/GU 0.46. ABV 4.6%.

Use your favourite Belgian Ale yeast - mine is a slurry cultured from a bottle of Maredsous Dubbel (so very likely Duvel house yeast.)
Start fermentation at 18, but allow it to run uncontrolled as high as it wants - like the sea it knows what it's doing.
I guess that primary fermentation will last 10-14 days. Secondary,... well, how patient are you? Can you Wait for It? I've Waited as long as 6 months with this particular yeast, and the results are spectacular. In view of the OTC connection I'll suggest 4 months. Just enough time to enjoy a comic strip. (Just kidding - we should be able to bottle/keg this in a month to 6-weeks.)

BTW The specialty malts I'm using are from Malterie du Chateau in Belgium. It really is all related.

ߧAs far as I know, anyway.

What will it take to send me a bottle of this?

ETA: Papal decree! Keep posting! No leaving! (Unless it is to coma, but then you must come back)
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

pha

Postby pha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of?

None. :oops: I am still amazed to have been lurking daily since day one on something so wonderfully unrelated to real (heresy!) life...

My OTT Award nominations:

Best OTT science: the starry night analysis. Close 2nd: finding the Mediterranea before Rosetta made it explicit. Special mention to the first journey map.

Funniest moments: the madness, early religion titles, boom de yada, molpy molpy molpy molpy.

Best hat: mscha

Best tool: I am partial to aubronwood, because he was the first

Still debating whether it would be best to have the GLR explain how he dit it, or preserve the magic and just keep trying to guess how he did it...

Remaining open question (maybe it was answered and I missed it): Who is Eternal Density brother?

Many many thanks to all of you, wonderful contributors. As was said before, without you, what would have we lurked for?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

Good morndip, all. Actually, mid-dip, local time. De-coma'd late and just getting my morning cup of coffee. Just a page of ketchup, this mourn-ful morn. Not too many on board right now and I'll probably need to vanish without warning, but I'm going to be a thorn like Exodies.

I know jjjdavidson didn't want us to reply to his Open Letter to Randall, but I just wanted to say thanks for that well thought out post, jjj.

@Exodies: I've always noticed that blindposts don't necessarily get replies all the time. I know my usually didn't. I guess many Blitzers are used to the reception BlitzGirl's posts got and are disappointed when theirs don't get the same treatment. Like mscha, I read your posts and enjoy them.

@kasmeneo; adnapemit and Ximenez; Great work on the on the frame manips, all three of you

@Angelastic: The Waiting Song and End of Time: two great ottifications. One for drowning our sorrows in and the other to remind us of the rest of the world.

@mikro2nd: Looks like an interesting brew. Too bad your too far away for me to lift a mug with you. "Brewday"; is it your birthday tomorrow or just the decant day for this?

@mscha: Cupcakes, YUM, thanks for bringing them out.

@0l0v0i6i7, Ainlina, Angelastic, CasCat, Fictioneer, k.bookbinder, mscha, Nilpferdschaf, Selcouth, ucim, Valarya, ZoomanSP and 34 guests: good morning
edit
and three minutes later add: Chinchokmataa, Doralefe, jc, k.bookbinder, mikro2nd, MobTeeseboose, nipviapna, pha, Pikrass, Selcouth, WOnder93, and 14 more guests
And
@BlitzGirl: forgot about adding my compliments about your continuing work on IDing all of The 40.

Edit the 2nd: Mob, you're back! Stop in and introduce yourself. We don't bite. (And those that do have had all their shots. :mrgreen: )
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

Those are some delicious looking cupcakes, mscha. :D Here are some more:
Spoiler:

Now, someone point me to the Double Dactyl's on the wiki. It's killing me.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Now, someone point me to the Double Dactyl's on the wiki. It's killing me.

Pretty sure they ain't there.
I searched for a few words in my d-dactyls: no results.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Those are some delicious looking cupcakes, mscha. :D Here are some more:
Spoiler:

Now, someone point me to the Double Dactyl's on the wiki. It's killing me.

Thanks for the Cupcakes, Oh Queen Of Cupcakes.

Re: Double Dactyl's: Wow, I just "searched" the wiki (like I'm sure you did) and I didn't get a single hit for "Double Dactyl". I wonder if someone deleted that page by accident. Maybe someone who has more wiki-skills can dredge it out of the History files and restore it. It would be a pain to have to do it all over from scratch.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I still prefer “I wonder where we'll float next.”.
Spoiler:

mscha, ever since I first saw you post this (quite a ways back) I have always thought this would have been a good ending, I just never got around to saying it. I did say in one of my early posts that you're my hero (because of all the effort you put into the OTT) but I don't know if you saw it.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

Hey, brain! Stop this! NP1270 and I have another JoCo OTTification:

Time is Over
an ottification of of 'Summer's Over' by Jonathan Coulton (Heh, as it turned out, the first video I found was by someone I know, and contains beach scenes)

Time is over
You're going back Outside.
I'm staying here
Where else would I go?

Spoiler:
Watch the sea churn
Hear all we've OTTified
Outside comes in
Sooner than you know

Jokes get old and the blitzers let go
Skip through Time because they know
When they reach now they'll say
Goodbye
Goodbye

Time is over
Because it has to be
Our thread still loops
Around and around

It's a circle
That's bringing you back to me
Stay where I am
I'm lost and found

When you go you come back again
Get the door, a first post's coming in
They just signed up to say
Goodbye
Goodbye
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Cake... We haven't had cake in a while.
So, in honor of all the cupcakes Valarya brought, here are a few we can share between us all!
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImage
Valarya wrote:Those are some delicious looking cupcakes, mscha. :D Here are some more:
Spoiler:

Ooh, cake! My 500th was absorbed into the mess following the frame-which-must-not-be-named, so I hope you don't mind if gorge on these now...
Spoiler:

Valarya wrote:Just thought I'd mention you always make me giggle. xD

Aww, thanks :) I make myself giggle too, but that's probably down to being insane rather than being funny :wink:
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:I saw while schizo-schimming that someone had added a YouTube link for my last JoCo ottody. This makes me wonder if they didn't notice that the links I gave for both that one and this went to pages that had free mp3 downloads on them.
It was probably me. I couldn't find the links or I couldn't get them to work (I have a lot of scripts blocked for security and a lot of web pages require scripts just to navigate. Chirp 'em). I'm well enough defended against flash, so you tube links are ok for me. Also real nice job on "Time is Over". :)

And credit where credit is due, Ximenez, that was an awesome manip I misattributed!

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
That's a pretty riverish glass of milk there!

Related to BlitzGirl's decree, I wonder what the most rewarding OTT thing you've done was. This is as opposed to what you are most proud of (which involves effort and result), but rather, what result or response gave you the most pleasure. For me it was probably my train wreck double dactyl.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

@HES: Belated congrats on your 500th post. And now your 533rd, soon to be 534. I thought I saw some post celebrations during that time, but I don't remember who got cake and who didn't. And, yeah, the thread was moving so fast no-one had time to slow down and enjoy anybody's milestones.

I think I said something like this before, but I don't think there's another thread on this fora that celebrates milestones like we do. One more thing that makes us the community and tribe that we are.

Edit
@Angelastic: another treeish ottification. You're certainly cranking them out todip.

dawnfire

Postby dawnfire » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

Hi all,

For some reason my original post is awaiting moderation, but I just wanted to finally join in and say hello, and thank you all for making the OTC even better than it otherwise was (which was pretty 7some!).

When my other post is approved, you'll hopefully get to see my first OTTification... I hope you like it!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:...Now, someone point me to the Double Dactyl's on the wiki. It's killing me.

I'm sorry; I can't find them either. I tried searching the edit history, but as far back as May 4 I found nothing. If you go here, the greatest density of them (including mscha's little breakdown) is on the next several NP; that's the best I can suggest at this point.

mscha wrote:Cake... We haven't had cake in a while.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImage

Maybe I should have waited until my 600th post to say this, but O_o that's two seaish pairs of cupcakes!

Angelastic wrote:Hey, brain! Stop this! NP1270 and I have another JoCo OTTification:

Time is Over
an ottification of of 'Summer's Over' by Jonathan Coulton (Heh, as it turned out, the first video I found was by someone I know, and contains beach scenes)

Time is over
I'm staying here
Where else would I go?

Spoiler:
Watch the sea churn
Hear all we've OTTified
Outside comes in
Sooner than you know

Goodbye
Goodbye

Time is over
Because it has to be
Our thread still loops
Around and around

It's a circle
Stay where I am
I'm lost and found

Goodbye
Goodbye

I haven't actually counted, but it seems you must have turned out as many timeodies this weekend as everyone else put together. These are wonderful (and you may turn me into a Jonathan Coulton fan); there's no need to stop.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Hey, brain! Stop this! NP1270 and I have another JoCo OTTification:

Time is Over
Spoiler:
Time is over
I'm staying here
Where else would I go?

Watch the sea churn
Hear all we've OTTified
Outside comes in
Sooner than you know

Goodbye
Goodbye

Time is over
Because it has to be
Our thread still loops
Around and around

It's a circle
Stay where I am
I'm lost and found

Goodbye
Goodbye

And another ⁴tastic one! Angelastic is deep into the ottification stage of grief...

One thing is certain: the OTT will not end until JoCo's entire repertoire has been ottified. (That might take a while, although if Angelastic keeps this up, it'll be sooner than we think.)

ETA: Thanks, Fictioneer. I did see it the first time, but was too embarrassed to respond. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

Ace wrote:Oh, why the chirp not.. Meowlpy gallery. We do only actually have three meowlpies at present, black meowlpy, grey and white meowlpy, and fluffy tabby meowlpy. Some of the photos contain meowlpies no longer with us, for whatever reason. (One lives with another family now, for example. Long story.) All desexed, none have had kittens under our care. A couple were adopted as already desexed adults, dunno about their pasts.

Those are some very cute meowlpies, Ace. I have 8 now myself, a rescue mom and litter of 7 from 3 years back, now all neutered and pampered indoor kitties. They are my babies.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

Random ONG Time:

M1433-repeatONG
M1434-Double-repeatONG

I have to re-post a double here. Megan's fall into the "ribbit" hole. This was the first time I was really concerned that one of our Friends had been hurt. I said something about "holding my breath" at the time. And I stayed up way past coma time just to see the outcome.

jabelch

Postby jabelch » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

HES wrote:Ooh, cake! My 500th was absorbed into the mess following the frame-which-must-not-be-named, so I hope you don't mind if gorge on these now...

That's a perfect title for the end of time. Or it can be shortened to TFWMNBN, but that doesnt sound good. Any thoughts for an appropriate name?

Per decree: Must keep posting! 2 and counting.

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

Inspired by the recent end of Time OTTifications of Angelastic and yappobiscuits, I put forth my own effort.

So Long and Thanks for All the Newpix
Inspired by So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

So long and thanks for all the Newpix
So sad that it should come to this
We we thought it'd go on forever but oh dear

We may not know how anything works
And most of us may just lurk
But we all still love the many molpys
scattered throughout time

So long, so long and thanks
for all the Newpix

Time has now come to an end
There's no point trying to comprehend
Sit back and let the past go by

Despite the Raptorcat attack
We held on through the Thwack
And tried not to think about Megan's
Beautiful red flag

So long, so long, so long, so long, so long

for all the Newpix

Despite our sadness at the end of time
The whole experience has been sublime
Especially the one true thread and its
Wonderful madness

For all the Newpix!

jabelch

Postby jabelch » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:So long and thanks for all the Newpix

If I may, I predict that this isn't the end. Why go through the trouble of maintaing the ONG interval (albeit on a loopong/random way) if the GLR didn't intend to keep us interested? Perhaps it is a false hope but at some point I think he'll pick it up again... so I still think it will go on "forever".

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:ETA: Impressive manip, Goggalor, and very effective in grayscale. Should I know that rock?

Mscha has already said this but it's Haystack Rock. I've always been a big fan of grey scale and b/w landscapes, but I can blame that on an Ansel Adams exhibit I saw when I was about 12 years old. It completely blew me away.

And everyone else I'm too lazy to quote, thanks for all the wows! I might try my hand at more. It's a very relaxing process.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:Inspired by the recent end of Time OTTifications of Angelastic and yappobiscuits, I put forth my own effort.

Spoiler:

for all the Newpix

Beautiful red flag

for all the Newpix

Wonderful madness

For all the Newpix!

Wowderfull. Thanks for this ottification, sir.

I guess it's really hitting home, isn't it? That The Event actually occurred. Yesterdip was a kind of re-gathering for more companionship and todip seems to be a dip of reflection. There are certainly fewer here now than yesterdip at the same time. I'm not saying folks are "leaving", maybe just going out for walks and letting it all sink in. I know sometime todip I must do some Outside things and tomorrow is a work day, but my heart will be here and I know that whenever I return somebody will be on line to share the time with.
-----
A little bit of a "Reality Check" here for the next Time I do an rONG.
If I want to link it (the rONG) to mscha's site, rather than back to the server like a fresh ONG (like what I have been doing), do I just click the "Embed Both" button and that will "Copy" the entire "url= / img / hash number" sequence (in proper order, of course) into the "Copy/Paste" notepad, so that all I have to do is hit "Paste" in my Post Reply? Or do I have to do some other ritual? Thanks in advance for your patience with my lack of computer skills.
------
Edit
I just realized I should start keeping a log of which frames I've repeated. No use repeating myself at least. (Of course, if I have something more to say....)
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

WOnder93

Postby WOnder93 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

I finally returned from my Outside duties and here I find myself even further behind than I was in my first signpost! And what's worse, I read in the sigs that Time HAS ENDED?! :shock: To make sure I checked mscha's site - no newpix since 2013-07-27 01:00 UTC - so it's true... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I... I can't believe it! How could Great Randall have answered all the questions so quickly? He left some of them unanswered, didn't he? Is there still a chance it will ever continue again? I won't even get to post an ONG! And I was looking forward so much... :( On the other hand though, I should be able to blitz faster now that the thread will (probably) slow down. Will it even still be going when I reach the Present? Guys? I sincerely believe that it will, but what if...

When I started blitzing I kept checking the Present newpix (not the Present OTT though), but I decided to go full spoiler-free at around newpix 2600. Now I am tempted to look into the Future to see how it all ended... No no, I shall blitz the rest properly! There is no point in cheating now that the Present is closer than it has ever beeni!

Hang in there guys, I'm on my way!

i Well, for me it's actually further than it has ever been... but it is approaching faster!
The OTT via Markov chain generator wrote:I've been following the thread to be lost.
Time created Cueball and Megan and says, Well, it's research.

On my quest to catch up with the Present - progress
The Sky of Time || OTT plaintext scraper || Userscript: floating user profile

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:I have to re-post a double here. Megan's fall into the "ribbit" hole. This was the first time I was really concerned that one of our Friends had been hurt. I said something about "holding my breath" at the time. And I stayed up way past coma time just to see the outcome.

The problem is you had to hold your breath for a whole newpix. Which is quite a challenge. :P

jabelch wrote:
HES wrote:Ooh, cake! My 500th was absorbed into the mess following the frame-which-must-not-be-named, so I hope you don't mind if gorge on these now...

That's a perfect title for the end of time. Or it can be shortened to TFWMNBN, but that doesnt sound good. Any thoughts for an appropriate name?

What about Voldeframe? Or Voldepix?
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Okay, I think it's about time I ask... Who is Mobteeseboose and why do we care about him? I know he never posts but other than that I don't know anything.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

wizpretz wrote:Okay, I think it's about time I ask... Who is Mobteeseboose and why do we care about him? I know he never posts but other than that I don't know anything.

MobTeeseboose (who I've just noticed is back :D it left for a while) is a forum bot, that's all really. It's become a running joke because it always seems to be online and browsing this forum, even in the middle of the (relative) night.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

WOnder93 wrote:I finally returned from my Outside duties and here I find myself even further behind than I was in my first signpost! And what's worse, I read in the sigs that Time HAS ENDED?! :shock: To make sure I checked mscha's site - no newpix since 2013-07-27 01:00 UTC - so it's true... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I... I can't believe it! How could Great Randall have answered all the questions so quickly? He left some of them unanswered, didn't he? Is there still a chance it will ever continue again? I won't even get to post an ONG! And I was looking forward so much... :( On the other hand though, I should be able to blitz faster now that the thread will (probably) slow down. Will it even still be going when I reach the Present? Guys? I sincerely believe that it will, but what if...

When I started blitzing I kept checking the Present newpix (not the Present OTT though), but I decided to go full spoiler-free at around newpix 2600. Now I am tempted to look into the Future to see how it all ended... No no, I shall blitz the rest properly! There is no point in cheating now that the Present is closer than it has ever beeni!

Hang in there guys, I'm on my way!

i Well, for me it's actually further than it has ever been... but it is approaching faster!

*HUGS* to you Wonder93, *HUGS* to you. It was as much a shock to those who were here "live" during The Event and to those of us who had just missed it but came in while the reactions were still happening, has it is to you to find out like this. In fact, there are many of the Faithful who told us they were going on trips and such and would be out of touch, so we can just imagine their shock and dismay when they return to *this*
Keep blitzing, keep posting updates (especially with NP numbers). Even though todip has only a few on-line, there will be OTTers posting here for a long Time. And there will still be cake and celebration and a blitz-coronation for you when who arrive in the present.

kepstin

Postby kepstin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
That's a pretty riverish glass of milk there!

Hmm, I think it’s actually a pretty seaish cupcake. mscha did get those for all of us to share, after all! It wouldn’t do if it was gone after only one person had a bite :)
Current location: kepstin-α: newpage 1292, kepstin-β: newpage 170

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

I've colorized the cancerbaby castle by the semen sea.

Spoiler:
cancerbaby.jpg
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Related to BlitzGirl's decree, I wonder what the most rewarding OTT thing you've done was. This is as opposed to what you are most proud of (which involves effort and result), but rather, what result or response gave you the most pleasure. For me it was probably my train wreck double dactyl.

That one is easy for me: newpixbot. (Although I was also pleased with the number of people who were fooled by my ottfication of xkcd 1242.)

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:Inspired by the recent end of Time OTTifications of Angelastic and yappobiscuits, I put forth my own effort.

Spoiler:

for all the Newpix

Beautiful red flag

for all the Newpix

Wonderful madness

For all the Newpix!

⁴!
(Would have been even neater, though, if the words actually fit the melody...)

pelrigg wrote:A little bit of a "Reality Check" here for the next Time I do an rONG.
If I want to link it (the rONG) to mscha's site, rather than back to the server like a fresh ONG (like what I have been doing), do I just click the "Embed Both" button and that will "Copy" the entire "url= / img / hash number" sequence (in proper order, of course) into the "Copy/Paste" notepad, so that all I have to do is hit "Paste" in my Post Reply? Or do I have to do some other ritual? Thanks in advance for your patience with my lack of computer skills

Yup, that'll do. Well, click “Embed both”, press Ctrl-C on your keyboard; and then paste it into your reply. That'll embed the image from the xkcd servers, with a link to my viewer.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Platonix

Postby Platonix » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
jabelch wrote:

:lol: I was thinking along the same lines. You-Know-Which-Frame?
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
wizpretz wrote:Okay, I think it's about time I ask... Who is Mobteeseboose and why do we care about him? I know he never posts but other than that I don't know anything.
MobTeeseboose (who I've just noticed is back :D it left for a while) is a forum bot, that's all really. It's become a running joke because it always seems to be online and browsing this forum, even in the middle of the (relative) night.
Oh okay. So we don't know what the bot does other than make sure nobody ever feels alone here?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

I'll go ahead and re-post this. Had it in my Time Notepad. (I originally posted it during the "Days of the Double Dactyl's", and I think it got over-looked because it didn't follow the rules.) (No, I don't know what Newpage it's on. I could look but this is faster.)

I TRIED to stay in the double dactyl rules but....

Whacha-see, Who-da-see,
a-browsin' on the forum,
Some are newer, no posts to see.
Other's be elders, with fame and hats.
But with us a cipher,
one here the most and not one post.
Oh, MobTeeseboose, tell us true
Randall's spy, is that you?

By pelrigg (with one change in punctuation.)

Preview edit:
Nice colorized pic Moose Anus.
And I see a reply to a question I had. Thanks mscha......

ETA
Not an ottification, but a song I mentioned back in "The Fading" (and didn't know how to post links. (Another thing I learned here.))
Simon and Garfunkel - Old Friends
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:49 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Re: Double Dactyl's: Wow, I just "searched" the wiki (like I'm sure you did) and I didn't get a single hit for "Double Dactyl". I wonder if someone deleted that page by accident. Maybe someone who has more wiki-skills can dredge it out of the History files and restore it. It would be a pain to have to do it all over from scratch.

At least I wasn't crazy in thinking there USED to be a page with them. :cry:

Thanks for the beginning of the DDactyl's link, jjjdavidson. I'll wait to see if someone can dredge up the old page out of the history first before I go and make a new page from scratch.

It has been lovely going back through all these old pages with double dactyl's on them, though. I dont know why there isn't a 'quote' option on the posts that far back, but I love how this one is so very mscha!
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Walkety stalkety
Cueball and Megan are
stalked by a Molpy, I
sure noticed this.
(Aubronwood uses he-
retical frame numbers,
for the canonical
ones check this list.)

And a couple of ridiculously cute dactyls dedicated to me and my cupcakes. I'm getting a bit selfish here. :P
AnotherKevin wrote:
Spoiler:
Makery bakery
Poster Valarya brings
Cupcakes and other small
Sweets to the thread.
Better stay current: the
Micro-patisseries
Taste bad with ketchup.
(Use icing instead!)

mathrec wrote:
Spoiler:
Timety wimetey
Valarya guides us as
Card'nal of Cupcakes and
Luscious Sorbet.

Forever restoring our
gastrointestinal
fullness and wellness each
Outsider day.

*wipes crumbs*
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

I could swear I've heard this beofre, but I cannot find it...
The road goes on, But I cannot, our time together past
It's just a fragment, but in the end, it';s how I feel about Megan and Cueball. I knw they have more journeying to do, but I also know it is unlikely ever that I shall know whence they go and what transpires. it is a sad triumph, bitttersweet as all endings must inevitably be, yet not a bittersweet ending.

And now, A couple of thoughts from other people...
"Journeys end in lovers meeting,
Every wise man's son doth know."~Billy the Bard Looks like GLR is not a wise man's son....

“Too often we are so preoccupied with the destination, we forget the journey.”~Unknown

“A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles”~Tim Cahill

“It's weird...you know the end of something great is coming, but you want to hold on, just for one more second...just so it can hurt a little more.”~unknown
“We're drinking my friend, To the end of a brief episode, Make it one for my baby, And one more for the road”~Johnny Mercer

And, one more OTTIFICATION, inspired by "Megan and Cue"
Return to Cue Corner
Spoiler:
Rostta the Teacher and I walked along
Under Castles lit up by the moon
Posing our questions to beanies and Lucky
As our days disappeared all too soon
But I've wandered much further today than I knew
And I can't seem to find my way back to the Two

So help me if you can
I've got to get back
To the Tents of Cue and Megan, who run
You'd be surprised
There's so much to be done
Count all the beesnakes Who fly
trace all the stars in the sky
Back to the days of Sandcastles and Cue

Megan and cue, they don't know what to do
That sea just keeps growing in size
They came to me asking help and advice
But From here it'll just rapidly rise
So I sent them to Run past the molpy out there
To save the fourty with maps that I share

Help me if you can
I've got to get back
You'd be surprised
Back to the days of Sandcastles and Cue

It's hard to explain how a few precious things
Seem to follow throughout all our lives
After all's said and done I was surfing for fun
with the OTC open on the side
So I Closed it out, I wished hard, and as I was going
I swear the ott said, "Boy welcome home"

Believe me if you can
I've finally come back
You'd be surprised
You'd be surprised
Back to the days of Sandcastles and...
Back to the ways of sand castes and...
Back to the days of Megan and Cue
Last edited by Dracomax on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
⁴!
(Would have been even neater, though, if the words actually fit the melody...)

The words fit the melody in my last OTTification. This time I have freed myself from such tyrannical concepts.
Good point.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

rONG:

@Angelastic: Loving the JoCo ottifications!
@HereBeUnmappedBits: Treeish!
@Dracomax: Another lovely song, perfect companion to "Megan and Cue..."

WOnder93 wrote:I finally returned from my Outside duties and here I find myself even further behind than I was in my first signpost! And what's worse, I read in the sigs that Time HAS ENDED?! :shock: To make sure I checked mscha's site - no newpix since 2013-07-27 01:00 UTC - so it's true... :cry: :cry: :cry:

*hugs WOnder93* We're still here! We'll Wait for you!

Platonix wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
jabelch wrote:

:lol: I was thinking along the same lines. You-Know-Which-Frame?

The Unspeakable Frame.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

M407-repeatONG

Used mscha (must be new, it wasn't there the last time I looked) "Random Button" and this is the frame I got. This is the frame before Megan says, "I don't understand what the Sea is doing."

And maybe it's appropiate that I post this after Dracomax's musings and great ottification.

Edit
Dang it, rONG'ed ninja'd by BlitzGirl. I'm going to leave it un-spoiled. We've haven't had that many rONGs since last nip. And ninja'd me with the use of the Random button.
:evil: :P :wink:

Edit 3 & 4 & 5
fixed url from random to frame number. (Your right "slightly future BlitzGirl"; it's a fun button), then checked I didn't break something, then back to write this edit. (And the first edit was actually two edits without after posters, so they show up as "Edit By"s, I guess.) (5 = added some quote marks to make BG reference easier to read.)
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:37 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

And the thing I am most proud of? it's a tossup between some of the OTTifications, and the use of small candies as punishment for heresy. It's amusing that several hundred pages after I stopped being active in inquisiting, my punishments are still occasionally threatened-and thee heresy tag is used to avoid them.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”