1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Tatiana

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Tatiana » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

I think the thing I'm most proud of, or happy about, is how the OTT has stretched my ability to do stuff on the computer. I'm way behind all of y'all, and am in awe of all the cool stuff you can do. But the OTT inspires me to want to contribute, too, so I'm in the process of figuring out how to do stuff that I couldn't do before. For that, I thank you all most heartily.

ETA: Hey, hey! Pope again! Decree: I'm hungry! Please bring food to the OTT on this page. The menu is your choice.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

yappobiscuits

Re: blindposting from the bottom of 1259

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:YES!

please be true...

OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Re: blindposting from the bottom of 1259

Postby HES » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:YES!

please be true...

Oh, the false hope :(
That said, I'm really hoping Monday's othercomic will be RELATED, but I suspect* it won't be.

*I have a very good internal defence mechanism to avoid disappointment, otherwise known as "low expectations". Works a treat on results day.
He/Him/His Image

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:00 am UTC

It's ONG time :(

Ah, so simple, so naive... We didn't know what we are getting into...

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Related.

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:00 am UTC

HES wrote:That said, I'm really hoping Monday's othercomic will be RELATED, but I suspect* it won't be.

If it's not RELATED, we will make it RELATED.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Re: I haven't ketched up very much and...

Postby ggh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:04 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:And here's another "Lost One".
edit
:oops: Didn't read the post all the through. Just skimmed it. It looks like he knows. :oops:

Still a she. :)

And yes, I was at the present at the end - but fry-saucing already, so I get to read some happy times 1243-1248 for the first time now, and because I skimmed a bit when it was thick and fast, lotsa sadness more thoroughly. And then, there's like 30 pages I have no inkling about.
I'm sticking a stake in 1290 though, and going to try to stay presentish before oscillating with the near-past.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:07 am UTC

For ED, and for the pope (and everyone else): Ice cream cake!

BlitzGirl wrote:
HES wrote:That said, I'm really hoping Monday's othercomic will be RELATED, but I suspect* it won't be.

Yeah.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:08 am UTC

ucim wrote:(blind from two pages back)
<snip>
jazz14456 wrote:Why do you guys post the images with a redundant one?
To be viewable AND quotable, the image has to be available somewhere. Images that are uploaded to the xkcd servers appear as attachments, but they don't appear when people quote the simple way. So, in the message the image is put inside img tags. THAT one is easily quoted.

If you delete the attachment, then the whole image goes away.

The attachment however (new discovery) doesn't have to be in the message itself. You can (it's probably a good idea for several reasons) create a single post with all your attachments in it (spoilered for convenience), and then simply put the xkcd link to that image in the post you want to have it. More info (and an actual experiment) in this post.

Before people realized the "attachment carrier post" didn't have to be the same as the "picture should show up here" post, they put the attachment in a spoiler in the same post, sometimes with a lolcat.

Jose

Jose, I just realized I've done that sort of thing before. When I did the Beanie line-up with the colored tags, I put the "attached" set in the spoiler tags and the "presentation" copies in the message (With the address I got from the Properties pop-up.) BltzGirl and I both have quoted the presentation copies in later posts (with folks quoting BG's post with image intact.) I didn't realize you didn't know that... However it's sometimes more fun to discover something on your own, isn't it. 8-)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

jowo

Postby jowo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:11 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Awesomeful avatar, jowo :P

Thank you! 'Twas akacat's idea, though; I just knew how to generate the image quickly (helped design & test the website).

Which I suppose is something the OTT didn't know about me.

Haven't decided to actually buy the plate, but if I do it will be tomorrow. (And a two week wait.)
Last edited by jowo on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's about Time....

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:13 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Yeah.

Neat.

For pope: Bangers and mash ice cream!
Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:17 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:For pope: Bangers and mash ice cream!
Spoiler:

Oh, that looks so good!
Remember the talk about chip butties?
Picture 50.png
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:21 am UTC

smolloy wrote:Thanks for the welcomes!

My Big Dumb Idea is to read through this thread right from the start. Every ch*rpn post. I want to know when the first ONG was sounded (it certainly wasn't the done thing by newpage #50, so when did it start?). I want to see the arrival of BlitzGirl. I want to know when the word mustard/molpy/chirp were first used. I want to read the "live" reaction to the newpix when a massively zoomed in Megan holds up a micro-trebuchet! I want to experience this thread "live".

I hope no one thinks that's too crazy, and I hope none of you would mind too much if I started pseudo-blindposting after travelling back in Time?
You will be participating in one of the highest callings of the One True Thread. Randalspeed!

BytEflUSh wrote:Now that the Time seems to have ended, what do you think - how much longer will OTT survive?
It will survive until beyond the end of xkcd.

mscha wrote:I had another look at my logs: no change, we're still getting a random ‘epilogue’ frame every hour. I'm not keeping track of the sequence anymore – it's random, we get it.
1's prime, 3's prime, 5's prime, 7's prime... all odd numbers must be prime.

Eternal Density wrote:
pkcommando wrote:EndONG

???? :shock:

WHAT.

Emergency systems activated! Break out the ice cream! Incoming! (and as Radar would say, "Wait for it!")

Emergency blindpost sent!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:21 am UTC

For Eternal Density and the Pope:

Spoiler:
Yes...It's the same image....
Heart-shaped%20pizza%20shot.JPG
Last edited by pelrigg on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Eternal Density

maximum sadface

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:22 am UTC

I finally caught up to:
mscha wrote:No ONG! Image
So it's true. It's really definitely true.

The River is...
pelrigg wrote:Some more folks I want to tip my hat to:
Spoiler:
Thank you, buffygirl How could I have forgotten you, oh First Maker Of Great Hats.*
Thank you, edfel maker of maps
Thank you, Kieryn lord of charts
Thank you, Sciscitor another lord of charts and visualizations
Thank you, k.bookbinder does Bob have any more of those mushrooms?
Thank you, Eternal Density for being my most wonderful ninja nemisis** (and all your Summery pics)
Thank you, HES
Thank you, lmjb1964
Thank you, TheMinim
Thank you, XonqNopp
Thank you, AluisioASG
Thank you, Rule110
Thank you, htom
Thank you, taixzo
Thank you, charlie_grumbles
Thank you, spamjam
Thank you, higgs-boson
Thank you, slinches
Thank you, KarMann
Thank you, cellocgw
Thank you, TimeLurker for trusting me to answer your PM's before you started posting

To those here and in my other post for whom I didn't have a dedication: sometimes I can't remember all the seaish or riverish or neat or Wow things you did, but I do know that when I see you avator and name, I know something fun is about to happen.
And there might be some more shout-outs that I'll make. But just because I missed you (especially Elders), doesn't mean that I don't need to thank you for this and all the fish.

*@ buffygirl: I've never felt that I was worthy of one of your creations, so I never asked.
**@ Eternal Density: for all those Times we traded ninjas.

------
More *Hugs* all the way around.

Thanks, it was fun. :D
And now, my ketching up continues...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:37 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:For Eternal Density and the Pope:

Spoiler:

Now I'm really hungry.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:45 am UTC

It is so great to see so many new OTTers delurking, and so many new and wonderful OTTifications.

Since so many others have shared, I feel like I should share something no one here knows about me. I studied for a year in China (though I have forgotten all of my Chinese), I honeymooned in Japan (my wife is not Japanese but is fluent in Japanese), and I taught for 6 months in South Korea. On my next overseas adventure, I very much want to visit the British Isles.

schwartzbewithyou wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:By the way, what are the chances that anyone has access to a 3D printer?

Don't know if anyone's already answered this, but there's an organization in town that does this, or helps people do 3D printing, or something. If you need that, I can find out more about how it works.

Ooh. I wonder what it would take to get our Monomolpy pieces 3D printed. Vvn gave me that idea.

(Blindposting from only a few NP back)
I recently read This 3D printing article and about halfway down it lists in a grey box some of the main players in 3D printing, what open source codes are out there, and a couple sites that host already created 3D objects that you can use. I may not have strong photoshop skills... but creating 3D models is a place I can contribute :)

Really? So if I were to provide you a list of possible Monomolpy pieces, you may be able to render them?

Here, I hope that there are others who enjoy Key Lime pie (I just had some for dessert):

"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:57 am UTC

mscha wrote:A quick note that the OTC is still randomly showing one “epilogue” frame per hour. The sequence, up to now: CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA

mscha wrote:I had another look at my logs: no change, we're still getting a random ‘epilogue’ frame every hour. I'm not keeping track of the sequence anymore – it's random, we get it.

Looking at the string you posted last time... Are we losing frames? Has E been seen since last night? What about D?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Eternal Density

blindpost from 1274

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:58 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:...
...I want to know what happened to Pricklymolp... :cry:

Spoiler:
This is kinda awesome :D
Also the newpagecount hasn't incremented much in a while, but I'm avoiding the Present until I Ketchup.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:59 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Here, I hope that there are others who enjoy Key Lime pie (I just had some for dessert):

My idea of a perfect meal - a Cuban sandwich and a piece of key lime pie.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:17 am UTC

SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:A quick note that the OTC is still randomly showing one “epilogue” frame per hour. The sequence, up to now: CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA

Looking at the string you posted last time... Are we losing frames? Has E been seen since last night? What about D?

Okay, okay, here's the entire sequence up to now: CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABAEDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
We've had one more duplicate – again, C (i.e. the third epilogue frame). Looks somewhat unrandom, but I think it's much too short for meaningful statistical analysis.

ETA: count per epilogue frame:
* A: 10
* B: 8
* C: 13
* D: 10
* E: 7
E is somewhat underrepresented, and C is overrepresented, but I wouldn't say it's a statistical anomaly.
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:22 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:NextONG!
Spoiler:

⁴ONG! Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:31 am UTC

Davidy wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

Spoiler:

My idea of a perfect meal - a Cuban sandwich and a piece of key lime pie.

That does indeed sound wonderful! Cuban sandwiches are quite hard to come by, where I live (well real ones, good ones anyway). Tonight it was chopped steaks with fresh pico de gallo on homemade tortillas. So the key lime pie seemed like the perfect follow up dessert.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:33 am UTC

NextNextOng!
Spoiler:
next2.png

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:38 am UTC

mscha wrote:
SBN wrote:

Okay, okay, here's the entire sequence up to now: CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABAEDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
We've had one more duplicate – again, C (i.e. the third epilogue frame). Looks somewhat unrandom, but I think it's much too short for meaningful statistical analysis.

E is somewhat underrepresented, and C is overrepresented, but I wouldn't say it's a statistical anomaly.

Thanks. I thought you were adding letters to the end, but you're adding them to the beginning. I was afraid he was taking frames out of the rotation. So we started with 5, and then went to 4, etc. (And yeah, I'm being unreasonable, but I don't want to lose that last tiny bit of movement.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:39 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:NextONG!

Spoiler:
next.png

Dammit stop getting my hopes up. :(
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:44 am UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:In short:
Engineer, have a thing for old cars, try to keep in shape on my (racing) bicycle, amateur photographer, spend way too much time on the internet.

It's safe to say that everyone here spends way too much time on the internet.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:45 am UTC

NextNextNextOng!
Spoiler:
next3.png

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:47 am UTC

SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:
SBN wrote:

Thanks. I thought you were adding letters to the end, but you're adding them to the beginning. I was afraid he was taking frames out of the rotation. So we started with 5, and then went to 4, etc. (And yeah, I'm being unreasonable, but I don't want to lose that last tiny bit of movement.)

I am? Not as far as I know...
Let's see...

Code: Select all

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA                            <= first 24 hours
CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABAEDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA    <= first 48 hours
                        CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA    <= first 24 hours again (shifted to the right)

Hmm, that's certainly a pattern...
So, the second 24 hours are identical to the first 24 hours, except for the first hour.
Weird.

Anyway, Lucky down.
Spoiler:
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:48 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Anyway, adding my "things you may not know about me" ...hmm, like ChronosDragon, I'm pretty sure I've shared most of my interests at some point in the thread... I compose music of various sorts and am trying to make it into a career, by both being commissioned to write music for things and also by producing and selling my own music. I'm a huge metalhead and my favourite sort of thing is European-style melodic metal, especially symphonic metal and folk metal. But aside from metal I also really like folk music, film soundtracks, classical music and prog rock. Aside from my own composing work and personal projects I also play in two folk metal bands, and play accordion for a local morris dancing team. Non-musical things I like: Hiking (mainly in the Lake District because I live there), sci-fi and fantasy (mainly fantasy), British comedy, Celts, Vikings, and Pirates (One of the folk metal bands I play in is entirely pirate (or at least nautical) themed. We're like metal meets sea shanties meets English and Irish folk music with some epic orchestrations thrown in.) I also have a guineamolpy called Ginny.
There, pick whichever one of those you didn't already know about me :P

Probably could have guessed most of that other than playing for a dancing team. That's neat! What kind of dance? Traditional stuff? Question: Is your piggymolpy named after Ginny from Harry Potter?

I too read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, but mostly fantasy. ;)

yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote: us Brits don't use "neat" much, it's quite an American thing.

:shock: It is?! :oops:

Heh, I was surprised when I found out "brilliant" is mainly a British thing!

Ah, quite. I guess I can see what you mean when you use an example like that!

fhorn wrote:THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!

*lots of hugs* Image

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I'm saying hi from page 1248 to note that this is the most pages I've seen over a wixend, at least in recent memory.

Oh sad. Sad sad sad. :( Eternal Density doesn't know yet, either...

edit: hadn't finished ketchupping when I posted this - I see ED already found out. *gives out more hugs* Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:53 am UTC

Neat fakeONGs, Latent!
Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Anyway, adding my "things you may not know about me" ...hmm, like ChronosDragon, I'm pretty sure I've shared most of my interests at some point in the thread... I compose music of various sorts and am trying to make it into a career, by both being commissioned to write music for things and also by producing and selling my own music. I'm a huge metalhead and my favourite sort of thing is European-style melodic metal, especially symphonic metal and folk metal. But aside from metal I also really like folk music, film soundtracks, classical music and prog rock. Aside from my own composing work and personal projects I also play in two folk metal bands, and play accordion for a local morris dancing team. Non-musical things I like: Hiking (mainly in the Lake District because I live there), sci-fi and fantasy (mainly fantasy), British comedy, Celts, Vikings, and Pirates (One of the folk metal bands I play in is entirely pirate (or at least nautical) themed. We're like metal meets sea shanties meets English and Irish folk music with some epic orchestrations thrown in.) I also have a guineamolpy called Ginny.
There, pick whichever one of those you didn't already know about me :P

Probably could have guessed most of that other than playing for a dancing team. That's neat :P What kind of dance? Traditional stuff? Question: Is your piggymolpy named after Ginny from Harry Potter? :D

As I said, Morris dancing! It's traditional English folk dance. With bells on. And Ginny is called Ginny because she is a ginger guinea, although I do like Harry Potter :P. My sister named her anyway :P

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:53 am UTC

@Latent22: re: NextONG! & NextNextOng! & NextNextNextOng!:

Just what the doctor ordered. A bit of the sequel.

But now I'm a little sad.

But still that's what having them walk of camera like that was all about.... There's more story out there for Megan, Cueball, LaPetite, The 40, the Beanies, Lucky, the pricklymolpy, the chirp family, and even the un-met Hillbullies.

We'll just have to make them up ourselves, I guess.

One stage of denial still in place at my end. Ever since I learned how to ONG (even before that) when I got on-line I'd have the Time site tab open then come here in another tab. I'm still doing that. One tab with Time and one tab with the OTT. (Heck, I'm going over to the site and hitting refresh and checking the hash number every so often....)
I suppose when, one day, I finally show up here with the site open to Time it'll make it another step more real.

General Question: What sort of things are the rest of you doing differently?

Edit the NNNOng in
Last edited by pelrigg on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:56 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:On the subject of rhyme schemes, I loved Tatiana's poem ottification. :)
Thanks!

Eliram: I totally was taken in by the night scene you posted and excitedly clicked over to the comic itself, where I was quite crestfallen. You got me.
Last edited by Tatiana on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

Eternal Density

It's a molpy molpy molpy...

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:57 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Two things:
First: No fb for me, I don't really like their style.
Second:
The Constellation of Time 4

Spoiler:

Bigger (101 Megapixel), better (interactive, searchable, clickable, linked) and more.
Just give it some time to load, depending on your connection. This thing is huge (twss).

And with that I want to thank all of you creative and clever people for four months of great entertainment. I won't name names, it would just be unfair to forget someone. You all know who you are!
Oh! It's a Brain!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:00 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:What kind of dance? Traditional stuff?

As I said, Morris dancing! It's traditional English folk dance. With bells on.

Ahh, I have never heard of Morris dancing so it didn't register as the style for me. *goes to Google* Ooh! Bells AND sticks! That looks fun. (Another thing to learn about Val: I'm a dancer. Tap, ballet, jazz, clogging and I also used to Irish step dance.)

For the pope:
Spoiler:
I'm so having some of this right now. Mmmm

Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:00 am UTC

</Image>
The news has reached all the way up in the blogosphere.
<Image>
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:What kind of dance? Traditional stuff?

As I said, Morris dancing! It's traditional English folk dance. With bells on.

Ahh, I have never heard of Morris dancing so it didn't register as the style for me. *goes to Google* Ooh! Bells AND sticks! That looks fun. (Another thing to learn about Val: I'm a dancer. Tap, ballet, jazz, clogging and I also used to Irish step dance.)

Oh, neat! And the style of morris we do is North West Clog Morris, so related to clogging.

ETA:
mscha wrote:</Image>
The news has reached all the way up in the blogosphere.
<Image>

"a beautiful and odd existentialist parable touching on the discovery of geographic knowledge; cultural first contacts; environmental disaster, friendship and ingenuity." - Love that description, sums it up really nicely!

Eternal Density

I'm up to 1289, nearly caught up to my signposts!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:24 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:It's occurred to me this afternoon that Randall's Timing of The Event was fairly deliberate.
Think about it.
First the-frame-that-must-not-be-named wasn't some "geek" number (i.e. not computer related) and even the epilogue ended on a non-round number, so we couldn't predict the "when" of it from that.
Second, and to me possibly most important, He did on a Friday, at the end of the workday (His local time), when the greatest number of people could see it "live."
And, third, since it was on Friday, we would have the entire weekend to decompress about it. (Imagine if it would have, say Wednesday, how many of you would still have stayed up do be here.) It gave us all day Saturday and Sunday to wipe each others tears.
We might still be "not happy" come Monday morning, but His timing gave us Time to grieve. (I know that these times I've given are different for the Europeans and the Australians, but even then there was some time to start getting over the worst of it.)

I often don't read over the Australian weekend (for technological reasons) and I happened not to this time, so I arrived at work Monday morning and... well it only took a couple of pages before... well you guys have probably all seen my signposts.

As for sharing something that nobody knows, I don't think I can because my brother is one of us so I won't be able to think of something to share he doesn't already know :P

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:25 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:One stage of denial still in place at my end. Ever since I learned how to ONG (even before that) when I got on-line I'd have the Time site tab open then come here in another tab. I'm still doing that. One tab with Time and one tab with the OTT. (Heck, I'm going over to the site and hitting refresh and checking the hash number every so often....)

Yeah, my OTC tab is still pinned all the way over on the left side of my browser...I look at it every now and then... :(

Added a new OTColored frame, because I felt like doing some crazy coloring (just as therapeutic as when I was five years old...)

Original (2235):

Colorbazooka (click for larger version):
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:One stage of denial still in place at my end. Ever since I learned how to ONG (even before that) when I got on-line I'd have the Time site tab open then come here in another tab. I'm still doing that. One tab with Time and one tab with the OTT. (Heck, I'm going over to the site and hitting refresh and checking the hash number every so often....)
I suppose when, one day, I finally show up here with the site open to Time it'll make it another step more real.

General Question: What sort of things are the rest of you doing differently?

Edit the NNNOng in

You mean to cope with the you-know-what of Time? Intermittent cups of tea and glasses of beer.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”