1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:27 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
pelrigg wrote:One stage of denial still in place at my end. Ever since I learned how to ONG (even before that) when I got on-line I'd have the Time site tab open then come here in another tab. I'm still doing that. One tab with Time and one tab with the OTT. (Heck, I'm going over to the site and hitting refresh and checking the hash number every so often....)

Yeah, my OTC tab is still pinned all the way over on the left side of my browser...I look at it every now and then... :(

Added a new OTColored frame, because I felt like doing some crazy coloring (just as therapeutic as when I was five years old...)

Original (2235):

Colorbazooka (click for larger version):

I like it : )
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:38 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
pelrigg wrote:One stage of denial still in place at my end. Ever since I learned how to ONG (even before that) when I got on-line I'd have the Time site tab open then come here in another tab. I'm still doing that. One tab with Time and one tab with the OTT. (Heck, I'm going over to the site and hitting refresh and checking the hash number every so often....)

Yeah, my OTC tab is still pinned all the way over on the left side of my browser...I look at it every now and then... :(

Added a new OTColored frame, because I felt like doing some crazy coloring (just as therapeutic as when I was five years old...)
Spoiler:
Original (2235):

Colorbazooka (click for larger version):
Spoiler:

This colorized version is really spectacular BG.
{Like HES my brain is kind of fogging up. I'm want to say more, but I think anything I do say will be foolish...}
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Narrowband

Postby Narrowband » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:39 am UTC

Oh me yarm, it's Andrew Henry's Meadow! I loved that book when I was little.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:41 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Colorbazooka (click for larger version):

cool colorization!!

Just to see what it would look like combined with the other OTC frames here is a very short movie with that colored frame added in:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mpzb6ft5g22vk5/Colortest.mp4

Just to show what it would be like if we were to do this to a whole lot of frames and then combine it back together.
Last edited by Latent22 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:42 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Added a new OTColored frame, because I felt like doing some crazy coloring (just as therapeutic as when I was five years old...)

Great colors for the wrath of Megan!

Eternal Density

Hello, Present!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:44 am UTC

Hi everyone, I've finished ketching up!
First I'd like to thank everyone for keeping the OTT going (as if you'd do anything else) and for keeping it interesting and fun. It was a comfort to read.
Second, thanks for all the cake and hugs and kind words that were dispensed as soon as folks realised I didn't know yet. I only just passed all that, but it made me smile.
Third, thanks everyone for your contributions to the entire OTT. It was a joy to participate. (And will continued to be so...)

I'm not sure what contribution I'm most proud of. Partly because my memory of what I've done isn't so good (because everyone's contributed so much!). But I remember my OTTification of Daft Punk's Harder Better Faster Stronger was quite well received, so perhaps I'll go with that?
Perhaps I'll get around to writing the second half of Coma Molpy Style. If so you'll have to wait for it.
Oh, there was my Subject Story about Niclep the molpy. People seemed to enjoy that though I did kinda slow down and then once the OTC made major revelations it became kinda heretical so I wasn't included to do any more.
I think what I'm least proud of is that papal decree where I jokingly suggested that people tp lk ths, and some people actually did so which really wasn't blitzer friendly and other people were rightfully upset. But we got though that time.

So, here's a seaish (but somewhat River-ish (though not riverish)) hug:

mostly redundant:
Spoiler:
(Also does that make Summer Glau a molpy, by the recently provided definition?)
hugmodeactivated.jpg

ETA
mscha wrote:</Image>
The news has reached all the way up in the blogosphere.
<Image>

Yep, which is funny since it's not that long since I passed someone linking the OtherComic about bloggers, timetravel, and Cory Doctorow specifically. It's all related!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:49 am UTC

Welcome back to the Present, Eternal Density! *hug*

That mini-video is treeish3, Latent22!
@Opiboble, pelrigg, Fictioneer - Thanks! :)

3neat
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:52 am UTC

Blindposting from p1290. Just behind, but I can't complete my ketchup tonight. Time to molpy down.

I love you all, love the OTT, love all that's happening here.

Still grieving, we manage to make every newpage a celebration. Thanks, everybody!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:58 am UTC

Quick note: WNIV is now on my new domain, chronoscreations.net - linkie. Now that I have a dedicated url for such things, I might be a bit more experimental :D

ETA: this also means all my newpix-o-meter links were out of date, but I fixed 'em. Worry not - the past is still intact!
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:59 am UTC

Welcome to the present ED. Nice to see you. (Unfortunately I'll be doing the molpy down here fairly quickly. So I can't stay long.)
I see you got my thank you, it was fun when we were about the only one's up and we "fought" for ONG's.

Now I've been seeing posts from people saying, "Gee, I never got an ONG." Those make me sad, especially for folks that have been here a while. (And here I had so many. And so many in a row.)

At any rate, you seem to be taking this in stride. Good for you. And yes, this place will have it's doors open for a good long while. It's nowhere near the time for putting the chairs on the tables.

One little piece of business I noticed when I was quoted: :oops:
I wrote:I suppose when, one day, I finally show up here with the site open to Time it'll make it another step more real.

should have been more like:
I suppose when, one day, I finally show up here without the site open to Time it'll make it another step more real.

:oops: But then that's not my first typo here, wouldn't be my last.
Last edited by pelrigg on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:00 am UTC

I realize that I hadn't done any sort of OTC frame remix yet. I figure maybe I ought to remedy that before the thread winds down altogether.

Source: Geekwagon frame #1407, more or less...
Spoiler:
xkcd1407.jpg
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:03 am UTC

The exciting moment before something new an unknown. rONG

It's an hour or so until the next OtherComic and though I know deep down how unlikely it is, I still hold hope for a followup. Something like, Time 2: Another Time.

lovepirate

Postby lovepirate » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:04 am UTC

mscha wrote:</Image>
The news has reached all the way up in the blogosphere.
<Image>

In addition to this one, there was another blog post about the end at http://m.slashdot.org/story/189491

Someone in the comments on that one linked to my "Time as unconventional film" analysis. If it was someone from here, thanks!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:09 am UTC

Welcome back ED! *HUGS* We will still be here waiting for you, too, Ximenez!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:09 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Just to see what it would look like combined with the other OTC frames here is a very short movie with that colored frame added in:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mpzb6ft5g22vk5/Colortest.mp4

Just to show what it would be like if we were to do this to a whole lot of frames and then combine it back together.

Just updated it with some sound effects now to show you audio and color in the OTC :)

jowo

Postby jowo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:12 am UTC

A loose end in m' head; posting just because I thought it:

edo wrote:I don't know if it is a coincidence, but the comic ran for almost 122 days, which is 1/3 of a year.

np 1265

pelrigg wrote:It's occurred to me this afternoon that Randall's Timing of The Event was fairly deliberate.
Think about it.
First the-frame-that-must-not-be-named wasn't some "geek" number (i.e. not computer related) and even the epilogue ended on a non-round number, so we couldn't predict the "when" of it from that.
Second, and to me possibly most important, He did on a Friday, at the end of the workday (His local time), when the greatest number of people could see it "live."
And, third, since it was on Friday, we would have the entire weekend to decompress about it. (Imagine if it would have, say Wednesday, how many of you would still have stayed up do be here.) It gave us all day Saturday and Sunday to wipe each others tears.
We might still be "not happy" come Monday morning, but His timing gave us Time to grieve. (I know that these times I've given are different for the Europeans and the Australians, but even then there was some time to start getting over the worst of it.)

np 1289

Somehow I think these two notions are related. If I figure Time's duration in (heretical) hours, I get 2920error. A year's 8760 heretical hours long. 2320/8760 = 1/3. So do y' think GLR planned this as a third-of-a-year event? Knowing all along that he'd close things down on a Friday afternoon?

I wouldn't put it past him....but

errorThe problem with this calculation is DST; which bothers me a bit but not a lot.
butOr mayhap it's just coincidence.withglr
withglrWith Randall? Are you kidding?
It's about Time....

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:15 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Quick note: WNIV is now on my new domain, chronoscreations.net - linkie. Now that I have a dedicated url for such things, I might be a bit more experimental :D

Just took a look at your new site and click through what you've got there. Now I see why AluisioASG was making a fuss* when I said it looked like you two were doing something similar. Your site is more in line with what Lantent22 just did with his NextONG series, a way to continue telling the story or maybe even a slightly different one.
I may not have been your first visitor, I know I won't be your last. And I did bookmark your site right away, and it'll go next mscha's, the forum and all my other xkcd bookmarks.

*riverish fuss, riverish....

I wish I could stay, but the alarm clock is a harsh mistress.

So I molpy down
Keep Waiting for the Blitzers (remember we have a coulpe of new ones) and for other Lost Ones (like ED, Again welcome and *hugs*)
coma out

Edit
As is my custom, I read posts that came in while I was typing, even if it's my moply down post, just in case someone put up some thing really neat.
@ lovepirate: thanks for the Slashdot link. Took a quick look and all I can say: I'm glad we didn't attract folks like that. Half a page and most of it flames.....

Now really I must 'Coma Out'
Last edited by pelrigg on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:21 am UTC

Treeish and wowterful colouration, BlitzGirl!
Treeish video, Latent! The sound effects were particularly not-unlike-a-tree.
Welcome back to the present, ED! I hope there was enough ice cream for you...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:27 am UTC

I'm not digging through this to see if it's been said, but..

y'all are aware there's this.. like, entire forum here, right? And y'all are welcome to peruse and contribute and so on? I mean, I know you've got this familiar familial thing going on here, but... the rest of the place is pretty swanky too.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:30 am UTC

Yep, we know. :) This thread is just our favorite.

Latent22 wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mpzb6ft5g22vk5/Colortest.mp4
Just updated it with some sound effects now to show you audio and color in the OTC :)

Awefulsome! (Since yappo is using up all of the permutations of "tree-like".) Makes me excited all over again for the voice-over project. :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:31 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'm not digging through this to see if it's been said, but..

y'all are aware there's this.. like, entire forum here, right? And y'all are welcome to peruse and contribute and so on? I mean, I know you've got this familiar familial thing going on here, but... the rest of the place is pretty swanky too.

Yeah, it's been discussed, but most of us registered one-off just for this thread. I suppose we may start branching out soon if there truly is nothing else coming from the comic, but it sort of feels like home here.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:32 am UTC

Scene 20

[interior, day - medium shot inside the BlitzRocket], showing the second scribe in the pilot seat and the Pope in the other seat.] The view out the main window shows the sky during takeoff.
HAL wrote:This mission is far too important for these trivialities.
the second scribe wrote:The controls aren't responding.
The Pope wrote:Release the controls to the second scribe.
HAL wrote:I'm sorry, I can't do that.
Spoiler:
The Pope wrote:Listen HAL, you chirping bitbucket. We're the ones in control. You are a machine - a vehicle - a tool. Now release the controls. We are on a Holy Mission.

Out the front window the horizon comes into view from the bottom, and arcs as we bank to the left and turn into the sun.
HAL wrote:Oh, yes, that religion thing. How quaint. Humans never cease to amuse me.
The Pope wrote:It's our mission!
HAL wrote:I'm a computer. I'm not into religion. Would you like to play a game of thermonuclear war instead?

[exterior, day]: High in the atmosphere, the BlitzRocket screams past overhead leaving a multicolored wake. The camera is also moving forward and that the earth in the background reflects this motion.
[interior, day - medium shot inside the other BlitzRocket], showing Taixzo at the controls, and the First Cleric in the other seat. The front window is open and the Pope's BlitzRocket can be seen to speed away into the sky.
The First Cleric wrote:Follow the Pope... wherever he's going.

[closeup: the control glove.] with Taixzo's hand in it. Taixzo lifts it gently up and to the left.
[closeup: taixzo's right hand pushes a few buttons on the mscha monitors.]
taixzo wrote:taixzo to Pope. taixzo to Pope. Come in Pontiff.

[medium shot: looking over the controls and out the window of the BlitzRocket], with the backs of the heads of taixzo and the First Cleric in the foreground. The Pope's BlitzRocket (and its wake) comes into view in the distance. The sound increases as taixzo steps on the gas to catch up.
taixzo wrote:Where do you think the Pope is going?
The First Cleric wrote:I have no idea, but I know he's going to need help. That's where we come in.

This sure is a neat BlitzRocket! All the pretty colors and blinking lights!
taixzo wrote:Just don't touch anything, okay?
The First Cleric wrote:Of course. Unless it's important. Like look at this - it's exactly what we need!

[extreme close-up: a button] in the upper right of the control panel that says "HELP".
The First Cleric wrote:It says "help"! It's what we're here for.
taixzo wrote:ESPECIALLY don't touch that one!
A finger touches the button.
The First Cleric wrote:Why not? We're here to help the Pope. It's perfect!
a cheerful mechanical voice from inside the cockpit wrote:Hi! I see you're trying to follow the Pope in his BlitzRocket. Can I help you?

[exterior, day: wide shot - a glen], some trees in the background. BlitzGirl in the distance, in a bridesmaid dress, is approaching.

[Sound FX:] a grand, reberb-filled, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo! echoes across the land.

BlitzGirl looks up at the sky in response.

The couple that appeared earlier speaking gibberish at the clerecy meeting passes the camera from behind. They rush up to BlitzGirl. We can't hear their dialog (it's too far away) but we can see that they are pleading with her. They convince her of something, and all three start to run towards and past the camera. The camera swings around to follow them as they disappear over a hill.

exterior, day: wide shot - the old campground, mostly disassembled. The clerecy is running around packing the last of it. Vytron sees BlitzGirl and runs towards her.
Vytron wrote:BlitzGirl! I'm so glad to see you! I thought you'd be... well...
BlitzGirl wrote:I ran into these two - I think they're telling us they know where the Holy Water went. But I can't figure anything else out.
pointing whence they came, the woman wrote:Byestomach! Tu ivig bo vroye! Glie!
BlitzGirl wrote:Glie has to be water. They keep saying that. So, it must be a lot of water.
nodding, the man wrote:smopu glie! smopu!
Vytron wrote:"smopu" must mean "a lot"
Vytron addresses the couple.
Vytron wrote:Do you know how to ride coconuts?
He gets no response, and tries again, gesturing with his hands something that looks like applause.
Vytron wrote:Coconuts. Co... co... nuts
the man wrote:Cuckoo? Nuts?
BlitzGirl wrote:Actually, that's very close. Vytron, take them to the stable and show them the coconuts.
Vytron wrote:We're going to have to move fast. I'm not sure if riding coconuts counts as running.
BlitzGirl wrote:You'll be running them ragged. It counts.
They go off to get the coconuts.

[interior, day: Medium shot - the Pope's BlitzRocket] The camera is again in the back, pointing forward. We can see the backs of the Pope and the second scribe. A large waterfall fills the front window as they approach.
the second scribe wrote:Wow.
The Pope wrote:You can say that again!
The Pope wrote:How far out are we?
HAL wrote:Forty three point seven two one kilocue out. Ten point seven four kilocue high.
The Pope wrote:That thing must be thirty kiloque wide!
HAL wrote:It's all Holy Water. We're going in to get your supply, and you will have accomplished your mission.
Part of the waterfall collapses, and even more water starts pouring through the gap. The BlitzRocket aims downwards towards the center of the waterfall.
with dawning awareness, the second scribe wrote:I think I understand the New Testament now. We gotta get out of here and warn the clerecy!
The Pope wrote:Did you hear that HAL? Abandon the mission. Release the controls. We don't have to get the Holy Water, it's coming to us by itself. And it's too much!
HAL wrote:I knew you would try to sabotage the mission. But I can't let you do that.

[Sound FX:] The sound of the BlitzRocket screaming through the air increases as it dives down towards the waterfall.
They are still thirty kilocue away and the waterfall fills the window completely.
sweetly, the second scribe wrote:How do you get the ball game on this thing again?
HAL wrote:I'm not going to fall for that again. I am here to ensure that the mission succeeds. I cannot let you interfere.
the second scribe wrote:I'm going to try something. I hope we're not going too fast for this.

She reaches for the red button and pulls it out. It comes off in her hand. The light behind it continues pulsing.
HAL wrote:You shouldn't have done that.

[exterior, day. Wide aerial shot of the Strait of Gibralter], through which is pouring all the water from this massive waterfall. The camera is about seven kq high and fifteen kq out. Another piece lets go and the flow increases again. The BlitzRocket screams past overhead and dives towards the rushing water.
offscreen, in frustration, The Pope wrote:Molpy chirping mustard! Who was the system administrator who installed the red button!
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1195) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | next (NP 1315) -->
Last edited by ucim on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Eternal Density

*GLOMP*

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:34 am UTC

Yeah there's plenty of hugs and icecream, thanks :D

But here's some more:

I'm only up to 53.14% of my posts in this needle-pulled-thing.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:36 am UTC

Acts of the Clerics! This is why we hang around the One True Thread. :D Wowterful, Jose!

Plus, if we OTTers jump over to a random OtherThread and start molpying on about the latest ottification featuring Cuegan's encounter with the raptorcat, we might get some weird cyber-stares.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

(well, some of you do.)

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:37 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Acts of the Clerics! This is why we hang around the One True Thread. :D Wowterful, Jose!

Plus, if we OTTers jump over to a random OtherThread and start molpying on about the latest ottification featuring Cuegan's encounter with the raptorcat, we might get some weird cyber-stares.

As opposed to the weird Outside-stares we get already?

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:39 am UTC

This is the blindpost to end all blindposts. I haven't read the OTT since the day after the ... well ... the "bad words" appeared.

Anyway, I'm watching Firefly now, thanks to Eternal Density and whoever, possibly still ED, posted the "Find a Crew, Find a Job, Keep flying" screenshot, and I'm on the episode where everything dies on the ship and the Captain is left waiting to die. I love/hate you for getting me into this. Please, let them all live.

I mean it though, I love you xuys.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

BlitzGirl

Re: (well, some of you do.)

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:42 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Acts of the Clerics! This is why we hang around the One True Thread. :D Wowterful, Jose!

Good point. But if I personally am going to be Inside, I'd like to be somewhere where the sentence "Mini-Bunny showed one of the Forty her molpysnake, which might be a baby version of the molpython that frightened Cuegan in the Journey Era," can be comprehended. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:47 am UTC

Wow, this place is as hard to ketchup to the present without missing anything as ever, or at least the difference isn't substantially noticeable when you do it. I'm going to have to (splatterpost?) throw a bunch of short things out there, hopefully the right parties will see the parts they're interested in, but I don't think I can pull all the appropriate quotes together.

ChronosDragon, is the dragondashery still open? I don't think I want to inquire with Buffy about a hat, since she's going to have a lot to deal with and read when she gets back, but Kermit (the chimolpy in my avatar) keeps bugging me to find out if he can get a hat or not. Oh, and do you prefer dragons with four limbs, plus wings, a la McCaffrey, or dragons with two legs, and wings, like a bird/pterodactyl?

Per (old) papal decree, there is probably a lot people don't know about me. I'll just mention two, I play bridge professionally as a side job, and I love to play volleyball. I'm highly jealous of mscha's height. You don't play volleyball do you, by any chance?

Also, per old papal decree, I actually don't remember exactly how I first discovered Time was changing. I don't think I was logged on at midnight, did it change at 12:30 AM that very first day? I know I looked that day, and I guess I looked back at it myself at some point and realized, but I'm not sure exactly when it was. When did Aubron's viewer first go up? It might have been around that time. Certainly, it was the only viewer when I was trying to ketchup on the images. It was way, way after that I first checked out things here, since I found out about the meteor after the fact. I was one of the ones here live for The End of the Beginning, as I prefer to think of it.

Lastly, really enjoying the colored frames. How are you guys doing that? I wanted to do one, but all I could think of was to print it off, color it by hand and then scan the result. Will that even work for adding it to the collection? Is there some good freeware you guys are using to create these awesome colorings?

P.S. I hope you keep tracking the cycling frames, mscha, even if you don't report on them, and even if there's a daily pattern. For some reason, it's comforting to know that someone is still keeping an eye on things, even if it isn't particularly useful.

P.P.S. Whenever you do get here Buffy, my best to you and your wonderful hats.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:50 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'm not digging through this to see if it's been said, but..

Why not. Can't take that long to read all the posts in here right??? Maybe you won't want to post elsewhere on the forum just like us after reading it all... Hmmm may be not in your best interests to read the whole thing then.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:51 am UTC

Firefly spoiler ahead
Spoiler:
Holy chirp they made it!!!11!!one!! I can't wait to watch the rest of the series. I love you xuys. Seriously, Molpy On Mother F***ers!!

Yeah.

Sorry, I took the drinking game (many NPs back) too seriously.
Voice of the Silent

Eternal Density

Everyone dies. Everyone loves a fight. Nothing is sound...

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:54 am UTC

...Nothing is right side right.
TimeLurker wrote:This is the blindpost to end all blindposts. I haven't read the OTT since the day after the ... well ... the "bad words" appeared.

Anyway, I'm watching Firefly now, thanks to Eternal Density and whoever, possibly still ED, posted the "Find a Crew, Find a Job, Keep flying" screenshot, and I'm on the episode where everything dies on the ship and the Captain is left waiting to die. I love/hate you for getting me into this. Please, let them all live.

Yeah, that was me too. Wow I got someone into Firefly and I only got into it myself this year! :D
TimeLurker wrote:Firefly spoiler ahead
Spoiler:
Holy chirp they made it!!!11!!one!! I can't wait to watch the rest of the series. I love you xuys. Seriously, Molpy On Mother F***ers!!

Yeah.

Just you wait until season 2...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:55 am UTC

*tries to picture SecondTalon as a blitzer*
b2bomberkrh wrote:Lastly, really enjoying the colored frames. How are you guys doing that? I wanted to do one, but all I could think of was to print it off, color it by hand and then scan the result. Will that even work for adding it to the collection? Is there some good freeware you guys are using to create these awesome colorings?

I'm using Photoshop, which is definitely not free, but I think the OTColored project would happily accept scanned images as well. Some freeware was suggested upthread, I think...I've heard pretty good things about GIMP. I'm not the one to ask, I'm too addicted to Photoshop. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:58 am UTC

More Acts of the Clerics! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I bet they do not have that in the "other" threads!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:03 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:ChronosDragon, is the dragondashery still open? I don't think I want to inquire with Buffy about a hat, since she's going to have a lot to deal with and read when she gets back, but Kermit (the chimolpy in my avatar) keeps bugging me to find out if he can get a hat or not. Oh, and do you prefer dragons with four limbs, plus wings, a la McCaffrey, or dragons with two legs, and wings, like a bird/pterodactyl?

It sure is! Hit me up with a PM to formalize a hat request (And perhaps provide a more seaish image to work with? Up to you). As for your dragon question, I could go on for pages about dragon anatomy (and have - I wrote almost a whole fictional scientific paper about my dragonish Spore species!), but I'll keep it short: I prefer the four legs + two wings variety, but in terms of realistic Terran creatures, a two legs + two wings variety would be more likely (though in most situations where you're dealing with dragons, you don't have time to stop and think about how realistic they are!)

TimeLurker

Re: Everyone dies. Everyone loves a fight. Nothing is sound.

Postby TimeLurker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:...Nothing is right side right.
TimeLurker wrote:This is the blindpost to end all blindposts. I haven't read the OTT since the day after the ... well ... the "bad words" appeared.

Yeah, that was me too. Wow I got someone into Firefly and I only got into it myself this year! :D
TimeLurker wrote:Firefly spoiler ahead
Spoiler:

Yeah.

Just you wait until season 2...

Seriously, your subject includes "Everyone dies", that's not cool.
Voice of the Silent

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:05 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:*tries to picture SexyTalon as a blitzer*
b2bomberkrh wrote:Lastly, really enjoying the colored frames. How are you guys doing that? I wanted to do one, but all I could think of was to print it off, color it by hand and then scan the result. Will that even work for adding it to the collection? Is there some good freeware you guys are using to create these awesome colorings?

I'm using Photoshop, which is definitely not free, but I think the OTColored project would happily accept scanned images as well. Some freeware was suggested upthread, I think...I've heard pretty good things about GIMP. I'm not the one to ask, I'm too addicted to Photoshop. :wink:

Thanks, I might see if I know someone with Photoshop, or if there's a trial I can download. You must be in the same timezone as me, and have a similar schedule, I can always rely on you being around when I'm ketchuping, or mayoing/upketching.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:06 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
jazz14456 wrote:Has GLR ever posted anywhere on the forums here?

Yes. Rarely, but yes.

Hmm.
GLR's info page wrote:Total posts:365

I have a feeling that GLR stopped posting for a reason.

BlitzGirl wrote:*hugs fhorn* Thank you too!

smolloy wrote:
Gefrierbrand wrote:If the comic goes on long enough we might see tidal movements of the water surface, if they are indeed at an ocean (or very large lake)

*snort* You're not kidding!

Hmm, we certainly got movement of the Sea, but I don't think we ever got evidence of tidal movement in the OTC. And we never saw the Moon, either... :(

There shouldn't be tides, should there? If the Mediterranean was dried up that size, it would be on the scale of the U.S. Great Lakes, which have tides on the order of an inch or two.

jowo wrote:
elangeland wrote:How did other TimeWaiters come to realise that there was more to this comic than first met the eye?

I was online when 1190 went live (midnight, local), thought to look, and couldn't figure out what we were waiting for. Checked the fora, but of course there was nothing there yet. Made a mental note to check in the mornin'. Went to bed.

Got up, found my way to the not-yet-OTT, and noticed immediately that the image had changed. Plunged into the thread and found folks decoding the javascript, attempting to figure the hashes, and just doing interesting stuff. And building tools to capture the frames. And speculating about Randall's wife, and life.

At that point I knew I'd stick around.

edit to fix a typo

I opened the OTC at about 29 minutes past midnight. I saw the alt-text, and thought it was a really slow GIF. I waited, and then thought I saw something move; I now know I did. I waited for another minute or so, but nothing happened, so I went to bed.
The next morning I checked explainxkcd to see what was going on, and found out that it was changing every half hour. The sandcastle still hadn't been built yet, so I sort of assumed it was a loop, and forgot about it.
Then, a month or so later, I saw a post on Hacker News: "xkcd #1190 now has more frames than all other comics combined." The link was to Geekwagon; I went through it, and then returned to the comments on the post, where I found a link to the OTW, wherein I found a list of funny quotes from the OTT, from which I found the OTT. And I started following it, and delurked a few days later to post something that I found interesting.
(Side note: 100% of my posts have been in the OTT, but I registered a year before it started; does that still make me eligible as a bishop under the original rules?)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:07 am UTC

rONG:

Rosetta says, "Wait for it." Of course.

k.bookbinder wrote:More Acts of the Clerics! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I bet they do not have that in the "other" threads!

They might, Jose's been spending a lot of Time in a thread titled: Galilean:x' with respect to S'? AND SPECIAL BONUS x' = x-d?
which could very well be Beanish for Non-OTT Acts of the Clerics (for all I know). :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:07 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

Good point. But if I personally am going to be Inside, I'd like to be somewhere where the sentence "Mini-Bunny showed one of the Forty her molpysnake, which might be a baby version of the molpython that frightened Cuegan in the Journey Era," can be comprehended. :wink:

:lol: I read that, and my first thought was, "I do not remember seeing mini-bunny with a molpysnake. Did I miss a frame?" Then I realized you only meant it as an example.

b2bomberkrh wrote:Wow, this place is as hard to ketchup to the present without missing anything as ever, or at least the difference isn't substantially noticeable when you do it. I'm going to have to (splatterpost?) throw a bunch of short things out there, hopefully the right parties will see the parts they're interested in, but I don't think I can pull all the appropriate quotes together... <snip>

Splatterpost. Splatterpost. I do like the sound of that. :mrgreen:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:08 am UTC

New othercomic.

And, the reason I originally registered a year ago was to post in a thread (although I thought better of it, and never actually got around to posting) about Kerbal Space Program. It's all related!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”