1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Goggalor

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Goggalor » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:10 am UTC

New colorframe!

@b2bomberkrh I'm using GIMP. It's free and it get's the job done. I believe I read somewhere that an old version of Photoshop (CS2 maybe?) is free, but I'm not sure.

I need to figure out how to put this frame on the wiki. I'll go mess around with it for a bit and if I don't figure it out I'll beg for help.

redundant spoiler
Spoiler:
run!.png

EDIT: I'm the Pope? I don't think I've ever been in this position before. So... umm... decree, decree? Give me colored frames! Photoshop, GIMP, MSpaint, or even crayons! I want color! :D
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:13 am UTC

taixzo wrote:New othercomic.

And, the reason I originally registered a year ago was to post in a thread (although I thought better of it, and never actually got around to posting) about Kerbal Space Program. It's all related!

Per POPE
"Oh, there's a new othercomic"
*checks forum, no new thread*
"Hmm, the OTT is quicker.*
Last edited by TimeLurker on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:13 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:Thanks, I might see if I know someone with Photoshop, or if there's a trial I can download. You must be in the same timezone as me, and have a similar schedule, I can always rely on you being around when I'm ketchuping, or mayoing/upketching.
Try Gimp. It's free and open source. It's also pretty seaish in power.

Both Gimp and Photoshop have a steep learning curve, so be forewarned.

And yes BlitzGirl, that other thread does seem a lot like decoding Beanish!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:21 am UTC

[location: NP 1279]

DavidRa wrote:[I]t is Time that can never be repeated, nor experienced the same way again. It was our Time.

I was doing so well keeping it together, but that made me tear up. I've had Time playing in a loop on my other monitor, and it didn't help that as I read this comment, it jumped into the post-fade journey. What a wonderful and exciting time that was, and we didn't even realize how much was ahead of us! It truly was a unique experience - our own experience - that can't be repeated.

BlitzGirl wrote:
marchlight wrote:Well, I'm 20 NP back and posting blind, but I have to go to work in an hour and I couldn't wait.
The end? This is going to take a long time to process. I'm going to miss what we built in this thread. It's been a great few months with all of you, and I learned so much.

*hugs*

*hugs back*
You're not saying goodbye, right?
*glares at*

Not goodbye! But I fear change is inevitable. The ONG was our steady heartbeat. Still, with so many flame quenchers in the OTT, we may just be ok.

*goes back to ketchup and watching time loop. Aw, Megan is raising the scaffolding*

Eternal Density

Evening comes, when the sun goes down in red.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Okay it was a bit mean of me to post song lyrics starting with the words 'Everyone dies'. Still it's healthy to remember that everything will come to an end, even Time.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:26 am UTC

Treeish colorpix, Goggalor!

And, the reason I originally registered a year ago was to post in a thread (although I thought better of it, and never actually got around to posting) about Kerbal Space Program. It's all related!

Oh good, the new OtherComic is RELATED already. That was fast!

k.bookbinder wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Good point. But if I personally am going to be Inside, I'd like to be somewhere where the sentence "Mini-Bunny showed one of the Forty her molpysnake, which might be a baby version of the molpython that frightened Cuegan in the Journey Era," can be comprehended. :wink:

:lol: I read that, and my first thought was, "I do not remember seeing mini-bunny with a molpysnake. Did I miss a frame?" Then I realized you only meant it as an example.

Example - yes. Made-up - not exactly:

These are a couple of embiggenings from 3069 and 3072, when the Forty were all on the rafts together. Mini-Bunny shows her molpysnake to Mini-Two-Tone and Curly. Is it really a molpysnake? Unclear. But I'm not sure what else it might be, so I'm going with molpysnake for now. :D

Redundant:
Spoiler:

SnaaakeItsASnaaake.png
SnaaakeItsASnaaake.png (30.7 KiB) Viewed 14592 times

Keywords: snake molpython molpysnake snakebee mini-bunny the forty raft girl show BGUM embiggen enlarge
redundant72.png
redundant72.png (110.72 KiB) Viewed 14592 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:31 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Treeish colorpix, Goggalor!

Oh good, the new OtherComic is RELATED already. That was fast!

k.bookbinder wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Good point. But if I personally am going to be Inside, I'd like to be somewhere where the sentence "Mini-Bunny showed one of the Forty her molpysnake, which might be a baby version of the molpython that frightened Cuegan in the Journey Era," can be comprehended. :wink:

:lol: I read that, and my first thought was, "I do not remember seeing mini-bunny with a molpysnake. Did I miss a frame?" Then I realized you only meant it as an example.

These are a couple of embiggenings from 3069 and 3072, when the Forty were all on the rafts together. Mini-Bunny shows her molpysnake to Mini-Two-Tone and Curly. Is it really a molpysnake? Unclear. But I'm not sure what else it might be, so I'm going with molpysnake for now. :D

Redundant:
Spoiler:

SnaaakeItsASnaaake.png

Keywords: snake molpython molpysnake snakebee mini-bunny the forty raft girl show BGUM embiggen enlarge
redundant72.png

Wow, I completely missed that in all the excitement during the raft period! What other goings-on did we miss among the Forty?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:32 am UTC

Hm, what you may not know about me: Fringe and Person of Interest aficionado ― I might even say that together, they changed my goal in life to developing artificial, electronic-based life (remember Sammy Jankis Michael). That's why I'm currently a CS undergraduate.

kepstin wrote:The introduction of trebuchets (or, as they are alternately known, tree buckets) really got a lot of people excited around past-now.

Tree buckets. I like that.

One last thing: if one of our programmers here need a database, just PM me.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:32 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Jose, I just realized I've done that sort of thing before. When I did the Beanie line-up with the colored tags, I put the "attached" set in the spoiler tags and the "presentation" copies in the message (With the address I got from the Properties pop-up.) BltzGirl and I both have quoted the presentation copies in later posts (with folks quoting BG's post with image intact.) I didn't realize you didn't know that... However it's sometimes more fun to discover something on your own, isn't it. 8-)
Discovering things on my own is how I learn most stuff. But really, I knew "there had to be another way" but wasn't uploading enough attachments myself to make it worth pursuing it. But there came a point where I though "enough already, let's get to the bottom of this".

I still say there should be a way to upload attachments independent of posts. There probably is, and I just haven't explored the boards enough to find it. But I would have expected to be able to do that in the attachment manager. All I can see to do there is delete though.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:33 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

SnaaakeItsASnaaake.png

redundant72.png

It rather looks like a poor dead molpysnake :( Or perhaps it is just a docile pet molpysnake that she wanted to save. Yes, that is a much nicer thought. It is her pet molpysnake :)

Molpy down!

Spoiler:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Fictioneer

Redundakitties

Postby Fictioneer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Redundant:

Blitzgirl, I want to applaud you for your many black redundakitties. They may just be your favorite color meowlpy, but did you know that black cats are the hardest to get adopted out of shelters and rescue groups due to the stigma of bad luck? (I volunteered in cat rescue for six years.) So anything that makes black cats more appealing in any way is a Very Good Thing. Kudos.

I'm too sleepy to find and post a redundakitty or a molpy to molpy down with, but I just had to hang around and say that before I coma.
Last edited by Fictioneer on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 am UTC

Thanks for everyone who recommended GIMP, I will check it out.

Also, in writing up my post prior to this, I realized that I couldn't find anything on the wiki with a general history of the OTC, and the OTT. Is it out there somewhere? I'm' talking about things like the date the comic started, when it switched to updating hourly, when scripts were first written to capture frames, when the various viewers went online and so on, and using heretical dates/times, not just OTT time. There are probably a lot of other events relating to either the OTC or OTT and the outside world that might be appropriate to put into a timeline, if it isn't already on the wiki somewhere and I missed it. Perhaps something about when various phrases entered the lexicon, the first attempt at a map, the appearance of hats, the madness, etc.

ETA: Kermit doesn't see anything wrong with black molpies at all.

Eternal Density

A couple of suggestions

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:38 am UTC

Do we have a definitive list of related othercomics? If so we should work on filling the gaps...

Also, has anyone considered starting a website on which people can share pictures of molpies and redundakitties and such?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:48 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:*tries to picture SexyTalon as a blitzer*
b2bomberkrh wrote:Lastly, really enjoying the colored frames. How are you guys doing that? I wanted to do one, but all I could think of was to print it off, color it by hand and then scan the result. Will that even work for adding it to the collection? Is there some good freeware you guys are using to create these awesome colorings?

I'm using Photoshop, which is definitely not free, but I think the OTColored project would happily accept scanned images as well. Some freeware was suggested upthread, I think...I've heard pretty good things about GIMP. I'm not the one to ask, I'm too addicted to Photoshop. :wink:

Thanks, I might see if I know someone with Photoshop, or if there's a trial I can download. You must be in the same timezone as me, and have a similar schedule, I can always rely on you being around when I'm ketchuping, or mayoing/upketching.

If you haven't used photoshop before then may be a better idea to go with Gimp as the learning curve for both is probably about the same but GIMP is free. If you are real serious and do want to spend the money on photoshop then you can get a tiral version of it from adobe. Photoshop has four main advantages: It is the industry standard many people use. It has the widest third party plugin support. It has some much more advanced photo retouching tools like content aware fill where the GIMP equivalent is not as good yet. And finally there are more tutorials/books/guides for photoshop.

Most things are actually the same between the two programs but how you do many things and some options are just a little bit different. I use Gimp sometimes because it loads faster than photoshop for a quick edit.

Also be aware that adobe is moving to only supply it's software via subscription which means paying for the software again and again for the rest of your life. And once you've got used to Photoshop even if GIMP would be just as good for your purpose having to relearn the GIMP way of doing things will make you never want to change to it and cut off your photoshop subscription.

Also if you already are good at drawing on paper then you will want to get a cheap drawing tablet of some kind so you don't have to try and teach yourself to draw with a mouse which is a lot harder.
Last edited by Latent22 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:48 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:EDIT: I'm the Pope? I don't think I've ever been in this position before. So... umm... decree, decree? Give me colored frames! Photoshop, GIMP, MSpaint, or even crayons! I want color! :D

Well... You asked for it. Here is my treeish drawing of frame 1:
It was done in MSPaint (I have GIMP but I have no idea how to use it) and it's a pretty accurate representation of my artistic ability, especially using a mouse.
Of course you asked for color, so that was just the base for the even more treeish colored version of frame 1:
redundant:
Spoiler:
Stupid MSPaint OTC thing.png
Stupid MSPaint OTC thing.png (3.22 KiB) Viewed 14526 times

Stupid MSPaint OTC thing WITH COLOR.png

Note: I'm new to this whole redundant attachment thing, so they're different sizes and I don't know why. In MSPaint they were the same number of pixels. I also really hope it all worked so I don't have to edit.

AluisioASG

Cue the sun!!!!

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:54 am UTC

Hmmm… did anyone see CameronCat recently?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:56 am UTC

Blindposting from a couple of pages back, because of yard work and family time (and Slashdot article). The Outside world is not helping my recovery from "The end." Friday night we saw the play adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma, and halfway through it one of the characters said "Wait for it." Saturday night we had dinner at a restaurant in Arkansas' wine country, and drove past miles of familiar-looking vineyards to reach it. Tonight I watched Live Free or Die Hard ─ Bruce Willis helps blow up half the eastern seaboard, that oughta distract me, right? And halfway through the bad guy, watching a progress bar stubbornly stuck at 0%, said, "Wait for it..."
────────────────
Chirpin' LibreOffice.
Spoiler:
My capture script is still running, using wget to retrieve frames. I'm not clever enough to check whether I already have an identical frame before downloading, so wget just piles up <hash>.png, <hash>.png.1, <hash>.png.2, and so on. So tonight I'm scrolling through the timeframe folder, looking at all the blank icons that mean there hasn't been a new .png saved since Friday, and right toward the end is a document icon! WTC! Is there a new frame after all? Nope, it's f11bda[etcetera].png.123, which is iconed as a 1-2-3 spreadsheet thanks to LibreOffice being installed.
────────────────
How did I start Waiting?
Spoiler:
I saw the first hours of Time, before they finished the first tower, possibly before Megan sat up from her first nap; I saw the alt-text and soon saw that the image was updating. But I'd never been to the forum here. Instead I went to explainxkcd, which I'd learned about during "Externalities"; I didn't come to the forum for days. I don't remember my very first impressions ─ that was four months ago; I can barely remember last week! ─ but I know that as soon as I found out the image was updating I was tickled by the idea. When I realized the next day that Time was likely to continue for a while, I set up a script to capture frames. Now that it's over, I'll compare my results to mscha's (though I seriously doubt I'll find anything he missed).
────────────────
Something y'all don't know about me?
Spoiler:
Randall knows what I've blathered about in nearly 600 posts; I know I've mentioned wife and daughters, the Ozarks, the SCA, FORTRAN, Girl Genius, and Nevil Shute. I probably haven't mentioned that my favorite movies range through GWTW, Tender Mercies, The Fifth Element, The Big Country, Young Frankenstein, M*A*S*H, and Zulu. I could give up cable TV and the Internet, but I'd give a month's salary every year for my satellite radio ─ my two most-listened-to channels are long-format classical and new alternative rock. Go figure.
────────────────
Time has ended, and I'm still up a trinewpix after my bedtime. Y'all'll be here when I wake up, won'tcha? Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are! Rowrmolpy down...
Spoiler:
RSIR:
Spoiler:
molpydownrowrs.jpg

Ace

Re: Redundakitties

Postby Ace » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:04 am UTC

Fictioneer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Redundant:
Spoiler:

Blitzgirl, I want to applaud you for your many black redundakitties. They may just be your favorite color meowlpy, but did you know that black cats are the hardest to get adopted out of shelters and rescue groups due to the stigma of bad luck? (I volunteered in cat rescue for six years.) So anything that makes black cats more appealing in any way is a Very Good Thing. Kudos.

I'm too sleepy to find and post a redundakitty or a molpy to molpy down with, but I just had to hang around and say that before I coma.

Heh, we're not really a superstitious bunch, apparently. We got our black meowlpy mid-2006, speculated that he may have been born 06/06/06 (then realised he had to be older than that - I think we got him in July.) The thing I have noticed about black meowlpies is that they are notoriously difficult to photograph. It's not movement, this black meowlpy is the laziest one I ever met, they just don't show up well on camera. Grainy black blobs.

Edited to spoiler image, sorry redundakitty, back behind the spoiler for you.
Last edited by Ace on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:05 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wait for it.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:04 am UTC

He woke up, didn't really know how he got there
Wasn't too sure why neither
A believer of sorts
Just not too sure what sort of belief to believe in
So when the sun goes down each evening
He looks to the sky for a reason
Wonders what's behind the horizon
So he packs light and he's off and he's leaving
So he walks on looking for something
But just what it is, well he wasn't too sure
So he walked all day, then he walked all night
Then he walked all year, then he walked some more
Then he... then he stopped
Took a look around to just see where he'd got to
Didn't recognise the spot so he took it all in
Got his things, and he up and moved on

[Chorus: x2]
We roam all over the planet looking for answers
Cross over timezones, connect the dots on the atlas
So as this world keeps turning around on it's axis
On we march with itchy feet, there's always somewhere you could be

So he walked all over the land
Over snow and desert sands
Through valleys and mountains, cities and towns
When he got to the ocean he swam
When it was too far, he learnt to fly
Built a set of wings and he took to the sky
So he looked high and low
Tryna find what it's like on the other side
And everywhere that he went he'd ask people questions
Swapped stories and traded perspectives
Each moving in different directions
Paths on the map just intersecting
And though the names and the faces changed
Some things remained the same
And some spoke with words he couldn't understand
But some things you don't need words to say
And then one day, he looks back and sees how far he's come
All the faces he's met on the way since he left
From the place that he started from
All living off the food that they learnt how to grow
And the rules that they learnt to know
So he took everything that he'd learnt from them
And he set off to look for home

[Chorus x2]

[beat changes]

Left, right, left, right
Catch me on the next flight
Onward through the dead of night
Searching for a fresh sky
Over land, over sea
Planet never goes to sleep
On we march with itchy feet
There's always somewhere you could be, say

[Chorus]

He woke up, still didn't know how he got there
Still wasn't sure why either
A believer of sorts
Believes in the faith that he found in the places he's been in
When the sun goes down each evening
He's dreaming of somewhere scenic
Behind the horizon there's a whole world to see
He won't stop till he's seen it

vvn

Postby vvn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:05 am UTC

Hi,
Blindpost, as I am not catching up well.

------------------------

There was much talk about the water still rising after the bad words. I think the floating was supposed to represent the full filling of the Med, and quite a lot of floating around. They got off at full land height. The raft will sit there forever, with a little wave action. (I'd enjoy them coming back and taking it apart after a while.)

------------------------

I would personally like to see the Aubronwood and Geekwagon viewers link to the other viewers the same way mscha is already doing. Each viewer has unique capabilities that enhance the experience. It would be more powerful for future readers, and shouldn't be too hard at this point. mscha has the data, and I imagine would be happy to make it available. Does anyone have contact info? Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

------------------------

I like the idea of expressing our appreciation to Randall. I think it would be more special to say what we each feel. It takes no effort to just add a "mee too, do more". Randall has made a great effort creating this work, it behoves us to make a small effort to show our appreciation.
That being said, while I know Randall does "not read the fora", I think a thread dedicated to these messages is the right place to put this. He CAN read the fora. Let him know it's there. We don't inundate him with messages. But, it's there for him to read. It's saved for when he wants it. It's not a clutter of messages somewhere it's not wanted.
The plan to send him a book a page at a time is still one of my favorites.

------------------------

I am happy that Randall has connected to one of the viewers. I wonder if there will be any communication between the Randall team and the geekwagon team to insure that all frames are indeed on the site. This seems a resonable request from an archiver of art to the artist. Perhaps all three archivers might send a note as a group, and share the resulting information. It would be nice to know we have it all, and that we haven't lost any images. Perticularly the first one.

------------------------

NOT joining Facebook. I don't care if any of you know who I am. I don't want Facebook to know who I am.

------------------------

This has been a fabulous ride. Both due to Randall and due to all of you. Thank you. Look over your shoulder every so often. I will be there lurking. (And, sneaking the cupcakes.)

------------------------

Is anyone else surprised that after all of this there is no Time shirt in the store? Or, any other merchandise that I can find.

------------------------

Sorry if any comments make no sense in the future.

Take care.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:10 am UTC

@wizpretz It's beautiful!

Before I molpy down I'm going to ketchup on past papal decrees.

Spoiler:
I'm currently in college, majoring in forestry and I chirping love it! Most people I talk to have no idea forestry is an actual major and immediately get me to explain it (which I'm terrible at). I don't understand it's lack of popularity. Jobs are plentiful, the pay is good, and it's just really interesting.

I started waiting at the very beginning of time. I checked the new comic right after it updated and knew something about it was going to be special. I stared at it for a few minutes and checked to see if it was a .gif and finally came to the forum for some insight. I went back to the comic, refreshed, saw a new frame, and was so excited about it I made a post and stayed up most of the night catching hashes and watching it update. I can't believe that was four months and almost 1300 pages ago.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:11 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Just to see what it would look like combined with the other OTC frames here is a very short movie with that colored frame added in:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mpzb6ft5g22vk5/Colortest.mp4

Just to show what it would be like if we were to do this to a whole lot of frames and then combine it back together.

Just updated it with some sound effects now to show you audio and color in the OTC :)

So you're the one who scared the chirp out of me when my computer started snarling! :shock:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:25 am UTC

Fictioneer wrote:Blitzgirl, I want to applaud you for your many black redundakitties. They may just be your favorite color meowlpy, but did you know that black cats are the hardest to get adopted out of shelters and rescue groups due to the stigma of bad luck? (I volunteered in cat rescue for six years.) So anything that makes black cats more appealing in any way is a Very Good Thing. Kudos.

I had heard before that black cats are difficult to find homes for. Poor things. Image I use black cats in honor of Lucky, but also because they're very pretty meowlpies. :)

jjjdavidson wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Just to see what it would look like combined with the other OTC frames here is a very short movie with that colored frame added in:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mpzb6ft5g22vk5/Colortest.mp4

Just to show what it would be like if we were to do this to a whole lot of frames and then combine it back together.

Just updated it with some sound effects now to show you audio and color in the OTC :)

So you're the one who scared the chirp out of me when my computer started snarling! :shock:

Did you have a keyboard attached at the Time?

For papal decree:
Original:

flutterbee-inspired frame from the Fading:

(I chose a Fading frame to play around with since there are a seaish amount of those; see me splatter as many PS effects as I could onto it...I need to coma soon.)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:31 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:Question for the OTT: Is it possible that the breaching of the land bridge at Gibralter and the subsequent rapid rise of sea level in the basin area could be the basis of so many flood stories in the oral prehistory of people in the region? Was this the event that became the story of Noah's ark, passed down in the oral tradition for millions of years? That would be quite something. It seems a long time for any story to last. But as long as we've been human, we've surely told stories, and something that enormous would not be easily forgotten. I suppose there's no way to know for sure. Does anyone have any information that could illuminate the question in any way?

{P1148}
No, Noah's ark isn't a story about flooding as much as it is a story about an infeasibly large boat and an imaginary being. Certainly couldn't be based on real events.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

jeffallen55

Postby jeffallen55 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:38 am UTC

For the papal decree, a very quick and dirty Paint version of 152:

And now I shall molpy myself on down.
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:45 am UTC

New DragonDashery!

By request of b2bomberkrh, of his cute-as-chirp wolpy Kermit wearing a party hat! He looked pretty conked out, like he'd been up partying all night ;)

ETA: Oh, and by the way, I now officially have more posts on this thread than I have in the entirety of my own portal forum. Thanks xuys ;)

Eternal Density

I'm confused.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:55 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
Tatiana wrote:Question for the OTT: Is it possible that the breaching of the land bridge at Gibralter and the subsequent rapid rise of sea level in the basin area could be the basis of so many flood stories in the oral prehistory of people in the region? Was this the event that became the story of Noah's ark, passed down in the oral tradition for millions of years? That would be quite something. It seems a long time for any story to last. But as long as we've been human, we've surely told stories, and something that enormous would not be easily forgotten. I suppose there's no way to know for sure. Does anyone have any information that could illuminate the question in any way?

{P1148}
No, Noah's ark isn't a story about flooding as much as it is a story about an infeasibly large boat and an imaginary being. Certainly couldn't be based on real events.
Is that meant to be sarcasm?

BlitzGirl

Re: I'm confused.

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:57 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Exodies wrote:

{P1148}
Is that meant to be sarcasm?

It's Exodies. Who can tell? :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:59 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
Latent22 wrote:not sure if someone has already posted this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BemsLUldVAo

2 minute BBC video on when the Mediterranean sea dried up 6 million years ago. Only took 2000 years to dry up so that would put the event that caused it in the 1000 years ago kind of range.

Does anyone know where the speaker might be from, based on his accent? Sounds ε to me...

{P1150}
Sounds like a Scot trying desperately to speak properly.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:29 am UTC

dawnfire wrote:Wanted to do Pricklymolpy and Lucky, so have attempted another couple of colourings and added them to the wiki - one day I might even be able to post them here! Haven't quite done them justice, but hopefully the more artistic OTTers might be inspired to show us how to do it properly.

Now time to coma.

You can post pictures after five posts. Here they are:

by dawnfire

by dawnfire

And they're very properly done, I'd say. Neat even, keep them coming :)

And there's two more by "Hillperson", whom I don't remember posting here yet. So if you're lurking here, come, join us!

by Hillperson

by Hillperson

BlitzGirl wrote:Colorbazooka (click for larger version):

Wow. Looking at that one did a better job waking me up than my coffee. And looks even more wowterful in hires...
Run, Lucky, run!
Go Minim go!

WOnder93

Postby WOnder93 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:41 am UTC

Current progress: 738/1293 pages

In the OTC, Cuegan took a short rest at the third campsite and decided not to cross the river4 and continue up to the hills instead. Before leaving the campsite, Cueball left for the river to get more water and we get to watch Megan as she returns to the vineyard to "stock up". As she is passing a tree, she encounters a squirpy and feeds it. As Cuegan walk on, the elevation begins to rise faster and while Cueball makes shapes with his shadow, Megan gives us some important clues: 1. Everything since at least after the fading probably happened in a single day. 2. They were probably walking east while following the sea1.

In the OTT: the how-to-post discussion still smoulders, but everything gets calm again after several newpages; there is a lot of molpy hunting (squirpy and molpython are discovered); attempts to match the comic location to Madagascar continue, though the squirpy disrupts this theory; more and more OTT song parodies...

Some pastpost reactions:
Spoiler:
PaSt + PoSt -> PaPoSt2

:mrgreen: ok, now seriously:
Wnderer wrote:<snip>
I still see a squirlpy.

Sounds like a python module. I'm working on two modules at work called lenspy and campy.

import squirl

squirrel = squirl.squirl()
squirrel.gather("nuts")
squirrel.climb("tree")
squirrel.bite("Megan")

Hehe, this makes me want to name some Python module "squirl.py" some time in the future :D It sounds cool!

mscha wrote:
edfel wrote:Megan, whatever you do,
Don't steal its nut!
<sinp>

ENHANCE!
ImageImage

This made my day!

BlitzGirl wrote:It has been a long Time since I've used my bard skills on the OTT, but I see a need:

Don't Worry; Feed Squirpys
(to the tune of Don't Worry; Be Happy)
[spoiler]Here is a little song I wrote
Feel free to make a quote
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.

In every thread we have some trouble
If you start flaming you make it double

Don't worry; feed squirpys!

<snip>

BlitzGirl, that's awesome!
The OTT via Markov chain generator wrote:I've been following the thread to be lost.
Time created Cueball and Megan and says, Well, it's research.

On my quest to catch up with the Present - progress
The Sky of Time || OTT plaintext scraper || Userscript: floating user profile

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:51 am UTC

Here's my contribution to the already awesomeful colour page:

More of a manip than a colour-in, but I just love seeing our stick friends in the real world. (Here they're exploring the Papamoa Hills Regional Park in New Zealand.)

Thanks wikiers for the restoration of the Double Dactyl page! It's great to see the collected creative outpourings that this journey has inspired. I'm especially awed by those non-native English speakers who can whip out a perfectly formed, witty and ontopic DD at a moment's notice. I'm sure there is more dactyly goodness hiding in later pages so I'll see if I can hunt them down.

decet

Postby decet » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:54 am UTC

wait for it. alas!
never can i wait for time
again the first time.

decet

"The greatest sorrow about reading a book for the first time, is knowing that you will never read it for the first time again."

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:14 am UTC

That's lovely, decet! And sad :(
Treeish color-manip, xpatiate!

WOnder93 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:It has been a long Time since I've used my bard skills on the OTT, but I see a need:

Don't Worry; Feed Squirpys
(to the tune of Don't Worry; Be Happy)
Spoiler:
Here is a little song I wrote
Feel free to make a quote

In every thread we have some trouble
If you start flaming you make it double

<snip>

BlitzGirl, that's awesome!

Thanks! Have another!

Past the End of Time
To the tune of 1999 by Prince
Spoiler:
I was coma'd when I wrote this
Forgive me if it sounds too plain
But when I got the thread open
Could've sworn it had gone insane

The pace was so rapid
There were ninjas runnin' everywhere
OTTers high on post-production
You know I didn't even care

'Cause I say a molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy, grapevine grapevine
So hang tight I'm gonna party
Like it's past the End of Time

I was coma'd when I wrote this
So chirp me if I go too fast
But Time just stopped a-tickin'
And The End's now in the past

Chaos all around us
The mood seems like fight or flight
But if you say goodbye
I'm gonna rope you in the basement from spite

Yeah
I say a molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy grapevine grapevine
Yeah yeah yeah

Lemme tell ya somethin'
When you come to the OTT
There's always somethin' new in store
I got a meowpy in my spoiler
And raptorcats ready to roar

Yeah
Great Lord Randall's stopped our ONG
We could all let this decay, oww
But before I'll let that happen
I'll write rONGs anyway

Oh
I say a molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy grapevine grapevine
(We've run all out of Time)

(Say there's still more Time)
A molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy grapevine grapevine, no no
So hang tight
(Party like it's past the End of Time)
I'm gonna, I'm gonna...

Not right, past the End of Time
Can't change it, past the End of Time
Past the End of Time
Past the End of Time
Don't stop, don't stop,
Say there's still more Time!

A molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy grapevine grapevine, yeah yeah
So hang tight
(I'm gonna party like it's past the End of Time)
We're gonna, we're gonna...woo!

Yeah, past the End of Time
Don'tcha try an' go (Past the End of Time)
Don'tcha try an' go (Past the End of Time)
We could all let this decay (Past the End of Time)
I don't say goodbye
I'd rather write rONGs anyway (Past the End of Time)

Listen to what I'm tryin' to say
Everybody, everybody say party...
*fades away into OTT-cake-giving*

(That is a chirpin' seaish song, so I just chopped off the end of it.)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

hillperson

Postby hillperson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:20 am UTC

Hi, Zorin. I am indeed lurking, as I have since the beginning of TIme. I put a couple more color-ins up on the Wiki, but can't post them here yet. Just wanted to do my part to keep the OTC alive until GLR continues the story.

WHICH HE WILL.

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:23 am UTC

guys we have an update!!!!!

the image became a link O_O

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:30 am UTC

The Geekwagon link was added and the title-text changed on newpix m3089:
Spoiler:
Two and a half daysH ago, now. :(
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Hi, coo!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:33 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The Geekwagon link was added and the title-text changed on newpix m3089:
Spoiler:
Two and a half daysH ago, now. :(

Some still discover
the discoveries of old
and post them anew.

BlitzGirl

Hike, ooh!

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:36 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Some still discover
the discoveries of old
and post them anew.

So it has always
Been with blitzers and OTTers
And shall always be.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:38 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The Geekwagon link was added and the title-text changed on newpix m3089:
Spoiler:

Aargh, how can you just post the frame-that-must-not-be-named like that :shock:
:cry:
Go Minim go!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”