1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Valarya

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Reka wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Hey -- did ya'll check the latest Google news headline!

This would be waaay more convincing without the spelling errors. :)

Hahah, this. You had me for a second, Kieryn. I even went to google news to search myself. :oops: Then I saw the spelling error.

SPACKlick wrote:However for real news on the OTC...here, here, here, and here.

And here and here.

mscha wrote:I wanted to OMR-All-Related-ify the latest OtherComic, but I'm stumped...

No need! It was already ALL RELATED before an OtherThread went up for the individual comic. :mrgreen: See below!
taixzo wrote:New othercomic.

And, the reason I originally registered a year ago was to post in a thread (although I thought better of it, and never actually got around to posting) about Kerbal Space Program. It's all related!

ETA:
Decree: Tell me what your favorite frame is and why.
Last edited by Valarya on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Hey up there in the present, how's the water? :P

Post preview has spoilered that Time has Ended, and now it feels a bit silly and useless throwing firstposts forward... I'm going to keep doing it, though, because people de-lurking now have every chance of being valuable OTTers and deserve to be welcomed regardless, even if it is 105 newpages after they first speak. :wink:

It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get up there, even without posting as I go along. I miss feeling like I'm actually contributing, but there's no way I'm skipping these pages! Would someone pm me a pep-talk, tell me the Tribe's still intact, you miss my crazy-bright blue crab, we've moved on from cakes to sashimi, something?

Firstpost, newpage 1191!
Kurt1190 wrote:Just de-lurking to express my appreciation to Randall for the OTC. I’ve followed it since the first day and seen it go through a number of phase changes. Some of them caused my jaw to drop. It has gone from building sand castles to a truly cataclysmic event. I can only wonder where he will take it next.
Kurt1190, welcome to the OTT! I know what you mean, the comic's amazing, isn't it? Glad you de-lurked!

ETA on Thursday August 1I feel HAPPY I'm feeling much better now.I think I'll go for a walk! Thank you to everyone who gave me encouragement, it really helped. ^~^

(And please pm me if you feel like you are drowning, I'll be happy to help you keep on wait/blitz/ketchup/run/swim/-ing.) :D
Last edited by BlueCrab on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

kryton

Postby kryton » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

I failed in finishing my BlitzQuest before "The End".
:oops:
1298 and counting

acunning40

Postby acunning40 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:Lastly, really enjoying the colored frames. How are you guys doing that? I wanted to do one, but all I could think of was to print it off, color it by hand and then scan the result. Will that even work for adding it to the collection? Is there some good freeware you guys are using to create these awesome colorings?

I haven't colored in any frames, but I've used Gimp quite a bit for other things so that's what I would use personally. As an example, below is a description of how I would put some other photo in the sky area.
Spoiler:
  1. I'd open the other photo--the one that I want to become the sky.
  2. If the image isn't substantially larger than the Time frame, then make the canvas larger to allow enough space for moving things around: Image > Canvas Size. The xkcd frames are 553px × 395px, so the canvas should be at least that big and probably bigger to allow for putting things where you want.
  3. Add the Time frame: File > Open as Layers. Choose the xkcd frame, which you presumably already saved on your computer.
  4. Open the Layers dialog, which has the shortcut Ctrl+L. You should see a list of your background/sky image and the xkcd image somewhere, probably at the left underneath the box of tool icons. Ensure the xkcd image is selected in the list.
  5. Add alpha channel if it's not already there: Layer > Transparency > Add alpha channel. That will allow parts of the layer (the xkcd image) to be transparent. If this option is grayed out, then transparency is already available so it's fine.
  6. Select the sky: choose the Fuzzy Select tool ("magic wand", shortcut U). Click on the sky area in the xkcd image.
  7. Remove the white from the sky: Edit > Clear (or press Delete on the keyboard). You should now see your other picture showing through.
  8. Select > None to get rid of the selection.
  9. Position the xkcd frame: choose the Move tool (shortcut M) and drag the xkcd frame around as needed to put it where you want it.
  10. Switch to the sky layer: Ctrl+L to get the Layers toolbox again, and click on your background picture on the list.
  11. Resize the sky picture: Layer > Scale Layer. If needed, use Undo and try a different amount until you get it sized how you want.
  12. Possibly use the Move tool again to get the final positioning.
  13. Crop tool (shortcut Shift+C): drag around the xkcd frame, adjust at the corners as needed, and then click in the middle of the rectangle to crop the image to just that size.
  14. File > Export... and choose the name. JPEG will probably be best for images like this.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I was poking around with the javascript, and I think I found the Director's Cut.
Spoiler:

Strong you are with the Photoshop. Good manips, these are.
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
mscha wrote:A recap.
Spoiler:
After the frame-that-we-don't-mention, there were five more ‘epilogue’ frames, frame 3090 through frame 3094; which I shall refer to as A through E.
After these five frames appeared, we no longer got any newpix (Image), but we did get, seemingly random, a different one of these five ‘epilogue’ frames (almost) each hour.
I've been keeping track of those, and after frame 3094, the following frames have appeared:

Code: Select all

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBA
Spoiler:
I've split them up in chunks of 24, so you can see the pattern. It looks like, apart from the very first one, we get the same sequence every day.
As you may recall, the hour after np3094, we got C (as listed above), but an hour later this stayed at C, and only 8 minutes later this was changed to D. So it looks like the current logic was put in place at that time.

Even that daily sequence doesn't look quite random: for instance, it contains EDCBA twice. That could be a coincidence, although that doesn't seem likely. (But humans are very good at determining ‘randomness’ of such a sequence.)

In conclusion, we're looping! We can now predict the frames that will be shown on the OTC forever, or at least until the GLR (or one of His minions) changes it again.
The schedule is:

Time in UTC (Randall Daylight Time): frame (link)
02:00 (10 pm): E (frame 3094)
03:00 (11 pm): D (frame 3093)
04:00 (12 am): C (frame 3092)
05:00 (1 am): B (frame 3091)
06:00 (2 am): A (frame 3090)
07:00 (3 am): E (frame 3094)
08:00 (4 am): C (frame 3092)
09:00 (5 am): D (frame 3093)
10:00 (6 am): A (frame 3090)
11:00 (7 am): E (frame 3094)
12:00 (8 am): D (frame 3093)
13:00 (9 am): C (frame 3092)
14:00 (10 am): B (frame 3091)
15:00 (11 am): A (frame 3090)
16:00 (12 pm): E (frame 3094)
17:00 (1 pm): D (frame 3093)
18:00 (2 pm): C (frame 3092)
19:00 (3 pm): C (frame 3092)
20:00 (4 pm): D (frame 3093)
21:00 (5 pm): C (frame 3092)
22:00 (6 pm): B (frame 3091)
23:00 (7 pm): A (frame 3090)
00:00 (8 pm): B (frame 3091)
01:00 (9 pm): A (frame 3090)

Therefore, I propose a new form of poetry. (No idea what to name it.)
Meter can be anything, but it contains 24 lines, and the rhyme scheme is EDCB AECD AEDC BAED CCDC BABA.

Cueball and megan went wandering
Along and up to the top
They met a town full or beanies
And learned of the great flood

Away, Away they must run
No longer time for meandering
For rushing in are the deep seas
And their waters will not stop

The journey up wonder and fun
But their friends below, now plundering
Will be washed away like the sop
and no-one will hear their pleas

The water will turn their land to mud
and put an end to every one
The steep slopes no longer hampering
an injured leg won't make them hop

For the hill people, all of them meanies
And the molpys from large ones to weanies
are endagered by waves non stop
sea that rises and never recedes......[totally not a forced rhyme]

And raising the hope in their blood
ahead just under the sun
An island surrounded by a wood
At last, all time, is done

Something like that then?

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:
taixzo wrote:Therefore, I propose a new form of poetry. (No idea what to name it.)
Meter can be anything, but it contains 24 lines, and the rhyme scheme is EDCB AECD AEDC BAED CCDC BABA.

Cueball and megan went wandering
Along and up to the top
They met a town full or beanies
And learned of the great flood

Spoiler:
Away, Away they must run
No longer time for meandering
For rushing in are the deep seas
And their waters will not stop

The journey up wonder and fun
But their friends below, now plundering
Will be washed away like the sop
and no-one will hear their pleas

The water will turn their land to mud
and put an end to every one
The steep slopes no longer hampering
an injured leg won't make them hop

For the hill people, all of them meanies
And the molpys from large ones to weanies
are endagered by waves non stop
sea that rises and never recedes......[totally not a forced rhyme]

And raising the hope in their blood
ahead just under the sun
An island surrounded by a wood
At last, all time, is done

Something like that then?

Yes! Any other poetry is henceforth heretical! (Unless it's really neat)
He/Him/His Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
mscha wrote:A recap.

After the frame-that-we-don't-mention, there were five more ‘epilogue’ frames, frame 3090 through frame 3094; which I shall refer to as A through E.
After these five frames appeared, we no longer got any newpix (Image), but we did get, seemingly random, a different one of these five ‘epilogue’ frames (almost) each hour.
I've been keeping track of those, and after frame 3094, the following frames have appeared:

Code: Select all

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBA

I've split them up in chunks of 24, so you can see the pattern. It looks like, apart from the very first one, we get the same sequence every day.
As you may recall, the hour after np3094, we got C (as listed above), but an hour later this stayed at C, and only 8 minutes later this was changed to D. So it looks like the current logic was put in place at that time.

Even that daily sequence doesn't look quite random: for instance, it contains EDCBA twice. That could be a coincidence, although that doesn't seem likely. (But humans are very good at determining ‘randomness’ of such a sequence.)

In conclusion, we're looping! We can now predict the frames that will be shown on the OTC forever, or at least until the GLR (or one of His minions) changes it again.
The schedule is:

Time in UTC (Randall Daylight Time): frame (link)
02:00 (10 pm): E (frame 3094)
03:00 (11 pm): D (frame 3093)
04:00 (12 am): C (frame 3092)
05:00 (1 am): B (frame 3091)
06:00 (2 am): A (frame 3090)
07:00 (3 am): E (frame 3094)
08:00 (4 am): C (frame 3092)
09:00 (5 am): D (frame 3093)
10:00 (6 am): A (frame 3090)
11:00 (7 am): E (frame 3094)
12:00 (8 am): D (frame 3093)
13:00 (9 am): C (frame 3092)
14:00 (10 am): B (frame 3091)
15:00 (11 am): A (frame 3090)
16:00 (12 pm): E (frame 3094)
17:00 (1 pm): D (frame 3093)
18:00 (2 pm): C (frame 3092)
19:00 (3 pm): C (frame 3092)
20:00 (4 pm): D (frame 3093)
21:00 (5 pm): C (frame 3092)
22:00 (6 pm): B (frame 3091)
23:00 (7 pm): A (frame 3090)
00:00 (8 pm): B (frame 3091)
01:00 (9 pm): A (frame 3090)

Therefore, I propose a new form of poetry. (No idea what to name it.)

This scheme could of course be expanded to musical compositions and other art forms too.

ETA: I wonder if though maybe the pattern ought to be DCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABAE, because the first part of repeating is the D. The C at the start is kind of an exception and out of the sequence.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

Prediction: This daily pattern will break and show a longer pattern, which will break and show a longer one and so on and so on, causing more and more speculation and craziness among us a la William Gibson's Pattern Recognition. He's probably got some kind of fractal in there.
Image- Kieryn

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

kryton wrote:I failed in finishing my BlitzQuest before "The End".

!!!

It's mine very own Space Pope of the Eastern Unorthodox TimeWaiters! *cries with glee* Welcome back, kryton. ;) You've been a long time gone, but we're still here.

For decree:
I know we told our favorite frames a long time ago, but so so so much has happened in the OTC since then. So I'd like to say that one of my favorite newest frames is M3079 because it's the first time Cuegan had been alone since their Long Night... and it made me smile whilst also tearing up to see it. It was definitely one for the shippers (Image) and has become even more bittersweet since then, knowing how close to the end it truly was.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

So, what I'm hearing is that the loopists were kind of right. They just forgot to account for all of that stuff before frame Voldemort
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
apparently, Voldemort is in spellcheck.... o.O
Last edited by Dracomax on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

You know, what would have been totally epic (I doubt this or anything like it is the case) is for the pattern of images appearing now to represent the pixel data of the frames of the OTC, so that essentially it is actually playing again only at a rate millions of times slower.
Image- Kieryn

Arky

Postby Arky » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:And thus it is with the diehards OTT, as the tides of real Outsider time start to pull it asunder...

But while it may fade away, it does NOT change the fact that it was every bit as amazing and wonderful as that castle that Megan and Cueball first built.

The OTC would not have been nearly the journey it was without the OTT. Way back when BlitzGirl first arrived in the present, in time for The Fading, and presented us with We Love The Thread Of Time, I made a comment along the lines that all the time spent watching the OTC to that point had been worth it just for that. Well, in the end all the time spent watching the OTC was worth it just for the community and creativity of the OTT... of course, it was ALSO worth it just for the OTC, so it was double-worth it.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Ace

Postby Ace » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Papal Decree: Favourite Frame and Why

M1503:
Baobabs!

Basically because it was the first thing I actually recognised, in a landmark sense. Sandcastles can be made on any beach, on any coastline, and it would be unusual for people to not live near a river. Baobabs are slightly more unique, it theoretically narrows it down. (Said theory didn't pan out, but that's how theories go sometimes. Knowing is better than not knowing, even if the original theory is proven wrong.)
Wait for it.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:Blindposting while ketchupping:

I just spent a lovely ten minutes reading the double-dactyl page and reminding myself of all the lovely, silly, funny poems people posted. But I noticed that at least some are missing; there are two double-dactyls on page 1038, another on page 1039, and one more on page 1040 that aren't included.

I'd edit them in but I'm afraid I have no idea how to edit a wiki and I'm afraid I'd break it again....)

Added. It's next to impossible for a single person to comb the whole thread for d-dactyls (and I missed one by Valarya the first time even on the pages I went through :oops: ) , so if you know missing ones please point them out or just add them to the wiki.
Which is very easy:

0) (optional: log in - this way it's possible to know who changed what, but in this Wiki anonymous edits are allowed)
1) go to the Double Dactyls page
2) click "Edit"
3) type/paste away
4) hit "Preview" to make sure it turns out the way you want it (else repeat step 4) until it does ;) )
5) click "Publish"

Don't worry about breaking something - all edits are archived and it's possible to restore an earlier version at any time.
Go Minim go!

aeglaeca

Postby aeglaeca » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Therefore, I propose a new form of poetry. (No idea what to name it.)

There once was a Time
when we all sat around
and waited for IT
but the IT never came

Now most of us say
'The End' was not sublime
but still here we sit
with no truth to be found

It just ends one day
no reason and no rhyme
but we are not bound
and so now replay it

the story is the same
the best frames our own way
lush green hills to climb
or jupiter background

some others have fit
voices to make a skit
and now they have sound
even Beanish a bit

for some IT was lame
with some the tale will stay
but for me each frame
will slowly fade away

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

WOnder93 wrote:Blitzposting to share some Markov chains I got from the OTT text:

Prediction : Megan ' s a chart of posting .

I thank you for the purpose of amusing myself ?

There are other elephants .

I think the original context of some sort ?

Sorry if that ' s daughter , this morning ) : ) Yay , buffygirl and HAL9000 ' s big , stinky , steaming pile of Outside conversation / smalltalk is about a molpypope ?

I agree with ChronosDragon , I get this .

While I was just too upsetting .

Then there ' s BuffyGirl who has gone through a cliff ! Oh ?

I have time to wait for someone who is still the Molpy .

Does anyone else had provided an equivalent mountain made of either 24 or kittens will die of blood on the second scribe , and at first .

Quoted some of my favorites :D These are really funny! How are they generated? Thirds may have mentioned before but I can't remember now...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
VioletSkies wrote:I've been following this comic (and thus this thread) since the beginning of Time... and I must say, the new turn of events have me saddened and amazined at the depth and breadth of this comic.

Yes, I agree, but looked at from another point is it is all very simple. We've speculated in the past about what GLR was up to. Is he making it up as it goes along? Is he responding to the OTT? Did he have it all mapped out at the beginning?

I think, now, that it is all an elaborate What If scenario. What would it be like to live through the refilling of the Med basin? From that all else flows. He decided to set it in the future.
Spoiler:
He hasn't told drawn-out stories in the past, but knows that the slow reveal is superior storytelling. How to show the future date without saying it? Ah, the long night. How to show the beginning? Ah, the minor tremor and the slowly rising sea? How to set the stage? Ah, swimming in the overly salty water? How to explore it? Ah the journey of discovery. How to explain it to the readers without killing the story? Ah, meet a different tribe with whom you must communicate non-obvious things (to themselves).

But still a lot we don't know. Can the 40 be saved? And LaPetite?

Note that the flashback to the bucket in the ocean already told us that the 40 have gone. Perished or moved? We don't know yet. We didn't even know about the 40 until it was necessary to say it within the story itself. Brilliant work. Hurrah.

In the latest newpic we just learned why the shed and grapevine was abandoned, I think. Maybe the markings on the baobabs were a warning to flee.

{P1151}
I wonder what made him choose 11000 years in the future. He surely didn't stick a pin in an enormous calendar.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

OTTersome OTTifications SPACKlick and aeglaeca! Also, welcome back aeglaeca. ;) Two elders return within a NP!

That deserves cupcakes:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Ketchup, Part 1
*borrows yappo's smiley because I miss seeing it*

smolloy wrote:(PM me if my prehistoric posts bother you. I'm not really spending any time in the present at the moment...)

Not bothersome at all - it's treeish* having someone do the full blitzgirl who already knows the entire plot of the OTC. :)

WOnder93 wrote:Blitzposting to share some Markov chains I got from the OTT text: <snip>
Hope it ' s uninhabitable , like a dude with a mighty banhammer as proof that BlitzGirl wanted to launch him into lashing out .

Huh. I'm not sure exactly what to make of this, but it sounds epic. :D

ZoomanSP wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Past the End of Time
To the tune of 1999 by Prince
Spoiler:
I was coma'd when I wrote this
Forgive me if it sounds too plain
But when I got the thread open
Could've sworn it had gone insane

The pace was so rapid
There were ninjas runnin' everywhere
OTTers high on post-production
You know I didn't even care

'Cause I say a molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy, grapevine grapevine
So hang tight I'm gonna party
Like it's past the End of Time

I was coma'd when I wrote this
So chirp me if I go too fast
But Time just stopped a-tickin'
And The End's now in the past

Chaos all around us
The mood seems like fight or flight
But if you say goodbye
I'm gonna rope you in the basement from spite

Yeah
I say a molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy grapevine grapevine
Yeah yeah yeah

Lemme tell ya somethin'
When you come to the OTT
There's always somethin' new in store
I got a meowpy in my spoiler
And raptorcats ready to roar

Yeah
Great Lord Randall's stopped our ONG
We could all let this decay, oww
But before I'll let that happen
I'll write rONGs anyway

Oh
I say a molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy grapevine grapevine
(We've run all out of Time)

(Say there's still more Time)
A molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy grapevine grapevine, no no
So hang tight
(Party like it's past the End of Time)
I'm gonna, I'm gonna...

Not right, past the End of Time
Can't change it, past the End of Time
Past the End of Time
Past the End of Time
Don't stop, don't stop,
Say there's still more Time!

A molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy grapevine grapevine, yeah yeah
So hang tight
(I'm gonna party like it's past the End of Time)
We're gonna, we're gonna...woo!

Yeah, past the End of Time
Don'tcha try an' go (Past the End of Time)
Don'tcha try an' go (Past the End of Time)
We could all let this decay (Past the End of Time)
I don't say goodbye
I'd rather write rONGs anyway (Past the End of Time)

Listen to what I'm tryin' to say
Everybody, everybody say party...
*fades away into OTT-cake-giving*
(That is a chirpin' seaish song, so I just chopped off the end of it.)

Loved that ottification3, BlitzGirl!

Thank you! :)

ggh wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:But before I'll let that happen
I'll write rONGs anyway
Nice!

Thanks, ggh!

SPACKlick wrote:For my last project, I was looking at posting rates. Below is a graph of Nepix vs newpages for the OTT true to now.<snip>
Graph
Spoiler:

Wow, this is awesomeful! Thanks for this! I love graphs!

*neat

ETA for decree:
My favorite recent frame is 3086, because it has Cuegan and LaPetite, and we did not suspect the end was nigh...
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

adnapemit wrote:I don't think the forty are in anyway harmed. We saw the rate of the water rising while they were building the sand castle, the people there probably had a day or two to evacuate. We also know that they can swim( or at least some can because Cuegan know how to). The biggest problem that they would face is the loss of their land and homes. They might also run into some unfriendly people(like those in the hills) when they try to find somewhere to stay. If they had farms that get flooded then they will also have trouble finding food. Of course if there might be no problem at all if they are somewhat nomadic, hunt/ gather food and have large expanses of land that they can move to after their current location is flooded.

This also leads to the question of if they have already evacuated how will Cuegan find their family and friends?

{P1151}
The enemies in the hills are possibly what saves the 40 from drowning - if the enemy's hill is below high water, and our 40 avoid it because of the enmity, they might escape up other hills which are above high water.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Cake... We haven't had cake in a while.
So, in honor of all the cupcakes Valarya brought, here are a few we can share between us all!
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImage

Thanks, mscha, for the cupc...OH MY RANDALL, I NEED THAT REESE'S ONE IN MY MOUTH RIGHT NOW

ETA: heretical spelling error
Last edited by MajorDouble7 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

Laser Plumb

Postby Laser Plumb » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Ace wrote:Papal Decree: Favourite Frame and Why

M1503:
Baobabs!

Basically because it was the first thing I actually recognised, in a landmark sense. Sandcastles can be made on any beach, on any coastline, and it would be unusual for people to not live near a river. Baobabs are slightly more unique, it theoretically narrows it down. (Said theory didn't pan out, but that's how theories go sometimes. Knowing is better than not knowing, even if the original theory is proven wrong.)

this was the most memorable for me too, though the map of the Mediterranean was a very close second ....

Aubron

Postby Aubron » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Just pushed out a closing set of updates to xkcd.aubronwood.com, including auto-pausing for special frames. However, most fun of which (in my own opinion) is the secret ability to add a ?youtube=YOUTUBEID and make background music for the comic.

Thanks for all the support! <3
Last edited by Aubron on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of xkcd.aubronwood.com, AKA The Book of Aubron.

Reddit Moderator, Web Developer. Male.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
ETA:
Decree: Tell me what your favorite frame is and why.[/center]

M1933 - the first sight of the Wowterfall. Because, just wow. And it was the only use of color (ultramarine) besides black and white in Time.

Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Aubron wrote:Just pushed out a closing set of updates to xkcd.aubronwood.com, including auto-pausing for special frames. However, most fun of which (in my own opinion) is the ability to add a ?youtube=YOUTUBEID and make background music for the comic.

Thank you, Aubron, for your awesomeful player! Image It was the first viewer I used, and my favorite during the early days of my blitzing the One True Thread.

ETA for decree:
Another favorite frame, 3031...
Spoiler:
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kryton

Postby kryton » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:

!!!

It's mine very own Space Pope of the Eastern Unorthodox TimeWaiters! *cries with glee* Welcome back, kryton. ;) You've been a long time gone, but we're still here.

I knew you were still here, I had faith. :)
Geekwagon kept me up to date on the OTC, but the blitzquest was more than I could manage. The outside world where popes get to play space bass can conspire against the true believers and consume all free moments. But I am now having my Zarquon moment, YEA!
1298 and counting

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

When I am not at work, and have a few spare moments, I shall have to try my hand at our new One True Poetic form. Already some wonderful new OTT poetry to add to our literary collection! :D

BlueCrab wrote:Hey up there in the present, how's the water? :P

Post preview has spoilered that Time has Ended, and now it feels a bit silly and useless throwing firstposts forward... I'm going to keep doing it, though, because people de-lurking now have every chance of being valuable OTTers and deserve to be welcomed regardless, even if it is 105 newpages after they first speak. :wink:

It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get up there, even without posting as I go along. I miss feeling like I'm actually contributing, but there's no way I'm skipping these pages! Would someone pm me a pep-talk, tell me the Tribe's still intact, you miss my crazy-bright blue crab, we've moved on from cakes to sashimi, something?

Hi BlueCrab! We'll be here waiting when you finally reach the present.

No problem. Keep blitzing! We'll be here :)
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

hillperson wrote:Hi, Zorin. I am indeed lurking, as I have since the beginning of TIme. I put a couple more color-ins up on the Wiki, but can't post them here yet. Just wanted to do my part to keep the OTC alive until GLR continues the story.

Welcome! You need five posts to post images, so hopefully you'll be able to soon ;)
In the meantime:
by hillperson
Go Minim go!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Aubron wrote:Just pushed out a closing set of updates to xkcd.aubronwood.com, including auto-pausing for special frames. However, most fun of which (in my own opinion) is the secret ability to add a ?youtube=YOUTUBEID and make background music for the comic.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Yours was the first viewer I ever used, thus it was the viewer I went to every single morning to ketchup up until the forum started using mscha's frame-numbering as the standard around here. But I absolutely Image your site, the work you put in to it, the small (but noticeable) updates throughout Time even though you weren't posting in the Thread anymore. And this... this last youtube link of yours. I can't help but feel it's perfect 'credit' music to watch the OTC in full, here at the end.

My version <3

Thank you, Aubron.

For Decree:
Another favorite -
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Fictioneer wrote:
Valarya wrote:
ETA:
Decree: Tell me what your favorite frame is and why.[/center]

M1933 - the first sight of the Wowterfall. Because, just wow. And it was the only use of color (ultramarine) besides black and white in Time.

Spoiler:

I loved this NPix as well, was just a perfect wow!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

A few things:

1. I know there's been talk of mass-emailing GLR to express our appreciation for Time, but does anyone actually know a way to email him? There are a couple addresses listed on the XKCD site, but neither go to him, I'm assuming. I'd really like to write him (even by snail mail, if necessary), but I don't know how.

2. Has anyone made any progress trying to decipher Beanish recently? I've been thinking about it a lot since The End. I kind of want to give it a go, but it'd probably help to see what others have come up with first. I don't think I've seen it mentioned here since Cuegan met up with their tribe.

3. A lot of people have mentioned how The End of Time has affected them. I guess I just want to add that it added a layer of sadness to my already depressive state of mind. I felt so involved in the story that when it ended, it was like the death of a close friend. It probably didn't help that it was so abrupt. I thought for sure we'd see the Beanies and Rosetta again, if for no other reason than for Megan to return the maps. It feels like there was no closure to this story, not even for the molpies. I'd give anything just to see Lucky swim to shore, or the pricklymolp floating on her back like a hedgehog, or a molpychirp land in one of those trees for a moment. Just something to signify that things are going to be alright. As it is, every hour of this past weekend brought disappointment when I'd start to go look for a newpix and then remember there wouldn't be one.

I really wish I knew people in real life that I could talk about Time with. I have friends who read XKCD, but none of them follow it with the regularity that I do, nor did any of them read the One True Comic. I've tried to explain it to them, but I must be doing a pretty lousy job since they just end up unimpressed and won't go read it themselves. It's so frustrating, not being able to convey my feelings for this story to any of my friends!

At least we all have each other here. It's been said umpteen times already, but the OTT is a pretty wonderful place. Many thanks to all of you who have made it so.

4. BlitzGirl, you're awesome. :) If you're ever in need of more black redundakitties, my girl Serendipity would love to be of assistance: http://jacelio.com/special/sera/
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:
Spoiler:

Goddamn ninja'd

P12: First person to be ninja'd to an ONG (even before it was called an ONG)! Take a bow @BytEfLUSh!
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:{P1151}
I wonder what made him choose 11000 years in the future. He surely didn't stick a pin in an enormous calendar.

Likely quite a bit of serendipity, but otherwise well-thought-out. It has to be pretty far out to be reasonable. Something different than today's situation has to have closed the straits and another thousand (more or less) years need to have passed for the drying. The population needs thinning, some, but not all, knowledge needs losing, etc. Perhaps GLR was just playing with stellarium or similar and picked a date far enough out that the sky would be recognizably different to those who are familiar with such things. Had it been a lot closer, we wouldn't have gotten the hints. And a lot farther we might not have recognized it at all.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

Aubron wrote:Just pushed out a closing set of updates to xkcd.aubronwood.com, including auto-pausing for special frames. However, most fun of which (in my own opinion) is the secret ability to add a ?youtube=YOUTUBEID and make background music for the comic.

Neat!
http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/?youtube=GU9RL6D23jk
http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/?youtube=lG24SX4HEK8

ETA one more: http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/?youtube=SUAccJfn8sE
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

Fictioneer wrote:M1933 - the first sight of the Wowterfall. Because, just wow. And it was the only use of color (ultramarine) besides black and white in Time.

Now I feel kinda bad...
That aquamarine thing was never in the OTC... it was added by me to an animated gif I'd made of the sequence... :oops:

Spoiler:
wowterfall.gif
Go Minim go!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

'Tis us that should be thanking you. I consulted The Book of Aubron many times along the way.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

fatness

Postby fatness » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:fatness, you may want to be more explicit about what your sig links to; a blitzer might click on that and accidentally see the latest frame.

It points to the beginning of this thread. That there is a current frame there is unfortunate.

So I switched it to mscha's page.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I wanted to OMR-All-Related-ify the latest OtherComic, but I'm stumped...

Huh... Seems pretty obvious to me:

Spoiler:
1. In the Current Other Comic, GLR refers to the Kerbal Space Program.

2. The Kerbal Space Program is a space-flight simulator in development by Squad a game development company in Mexico City, Mexico.

3. Mexico City was built from the ashes of the Aztec city Tenochtitlán, destroyed by Hernan Cortes in 1521.

4. 1521 is also the year that the Edict of Worms was issued by the Holy Roman Emporer Charles V, declaring Martin Luther a heretic.

5. The Edict of Worms was issued during the Diet of Worms in Worms, Germany, where "diet" refers to a general assembly of Imperial Estates of the Holy Roman Empire. It does not refer to any culinary or nutritional choices by the assembly.

6. However, while it is true that humans CAN eat worms, it is much more likely that worms become parasites of humans -- these are the parasites known as the helminths.

7. The study of parasitic worms is called helminthology, and has a long history. One author, David L. Grove wrote a book about it called "A History of Human Helminthology" in 1990.

8. David L. Grove was also the name of a Pennsylvania Game Commission Wildlife Conservation officer shot and killed in the line of duty on November 11, 2010 as he was investigating night-time poaching.

9. The officer David L. Grove also wrote an article in about the dangers of night-time poaching called "A Shot in the Dark" for the Pennsylvania Game News Magazine available as a pdf download HERE.

10. "A Shot in the Dark" was also the name of a 1964 Blake Edwards Movie, and it was the second installment in the Pink Panther series starring Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau.

11. The Pink Panther was a series of comedy films and a spin-off cartoon featuring a well-known musical theme, composed by Henry Mancini.

12. Henry Mancini was a famous and prolific composer of movie and easy-listening music. He recorded many, many records, including one in 1976, called "Henry Mancini Conducts the London Symphony Orchestra in a Conerct of Film Music", recorded at Abbey Road Studios.

13. Abbey Road Studios was established in 1931 and was the recoding site of many famous records, including Pink Floyd's 1973 album, "Dark Side of the Moon", which has sold over 50 million copies.

14. "Dark Side of the Moon" has several well-known tracks, including two songs that were singles and staples of FM radio -- "Money" and "Time".

15. "Time" was also the title of the xkcd comic #1190, also known as the One True Comic.

See??? It is ALL related! :shock:
Last edited by StratPlayer on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:44 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

*After-weekend-ketchup*
elangeland wrote:How did other TimeWaiters come to realise that there was more to this comic than first met the eye?

This question has been answered by many people, so I'll answer too:
First frame I saw was one of the earliest ones, I think np4 or np5. It was called "Time" and the title-text said "Wait for it." so it was kind of obvious to me, that it will probably change over time. I stared at it for a while and when nothing happened, I checked if the image is just .png or slowly animating .gif. It said .png, but I still checked properties to be sure it wasn't just renamed .gif. It wasn't. Weird, I thought. Let's check what people on the forum say about it (I wasn't registered yet, but I was sometimes lurking in the 'Individual XKCD Comic Threads' section). Of course, they have already noticed it was changing, although just a little bit. I registered and wrote my first post in the evening of that day, because I really wanted to be part of it, I was feeling it was something special1110. It was newpage 10. So that's my story.

Second question:
BlitzGirl wrote:General question to everyone: What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of?
Spoiler:
(Up until now, anyway, since there's plenty more OTT to go!) An ottification, coining a word, naming a character, writing a post that you thought was particularly good, participating in a scientific discussion, starting an OTT custom, writing a thorough wiki article, etc? I'm curious to see what everyone comes up with. :) It doesn't have to be the most "popular" thing you've done, it can be something small, just as long as you are proud of it!)

I haven't done many manips or analysis, mainly because I was glad I can keep up with the thread at all (although there was a long pause when I was too busy), now I wish I had made more... But- I'm proud of my sky-stitches, since it was something that was at least a bit useful and I'm also proud of this manip because even thought it was very simple (I didn't even bother to start Photoshop, MSPaint was sufficient), it turned out it was quite accurate prediction:P and I was very shocked when the next newpix showed up.

1110I wanted to comment on "Click and Drag" too, but I realized I have probably nothing to say except of big 'Wow', so I let it be...
:Pand also because I ninja'd mscha. :twisted:
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”