1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Fictioneer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Fictioneer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote: :oops:
Now I feel kinda bad...
That aquamarine thing was never in the OTC... it was added by me to an animated gif I'd made of the sequence... :oops:

Oh, silly me! But it was a wowterful gif, Zorin, in fact a gift of a gif!

(So you were actually one of the early colorizers of a frame -- those should go in the OTColored project.)

ETA: Oh, gee, I'm pope of the page for the first time ever!
Decree: What important (to you) thing would you take in your backpack on a trip like Cuegan's?
Last edited by Fictioneer on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

Excellent RELATED-ness, StratPlayer! :D I've missed that around here. But...

ZoomanSP wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:And as a parting gift for you all

Uh-oh. BlitzGirl won't like that...

neopifex wrote:4. BlitzGirl, you're awesome. :) If you're ever in need of more black redundakitties, my girl Serendipity would love to be of assistance: http://jacelio.com/special/sera/

Aww, pretty girl! Thank you! I'll always be in need of redundakitties. :) When I make a new batch of them, is it okay if I use some of your pictures?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:I wanted to OMR-All-Related-ify the latest OtherComic, but I'm stumped...

Huh... Seems pretty obvious to me:

Spoiler:
1. In the Current Other Comic, GLR refers to the Kerbal Space Program.

2. The Kerbal Space Program is a space-flight simulator in development by Squad a game development company in Mexico City, Mexico.

3. Mexico City was built from the ashes of the Aztec city Tenochtitlán, destroyed by Hernan Cortes in 1521.

4. 1521 is also the year that the Edict of Worms was issued by the Holy Roman Emporer Charles V, declaring Martin Luther a heretic.

5. The Edict of Worms was issued during the Diet of Worms in Worms, Germany, where "diet" refers to a general assembly of Imperial Estates of the Holy Roman Empire. It does not refer to any culinary or nutritional choices by the assembly.

6. However, while it is true that humans CAN eat worms, it is much more likely that worms become parasites of humans -- these are the parasites known as the helminths.

7. The study of parasitic worms is called helminthology, and has a long history. One author, David L. Grove wrote a book about it called "A History of Human Helminthology" in 1990.

8. David L. Grove was also the name of a Pennsylvania Game Commission Wildlife Conservation officer shot and killed in the line of duty on November 11, 2010 as he was investigating night-time poaching.

9. The officer David L. Grove also wrote an article in about the dangers of night-time poaching called "A Shot in the Dark" for the Pennsylvania Game News Magazine available as a pdf download HERE.

10. "A Shot in the Dark" was also the name of a 1964 Blake Edwards Movie, and it was the second installment in the Pink Panther series starring Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau.

11. The Pink Panther was a series of comedy films and a spin-off cartoon featuring a well-known musical theme, composed by Henry Mancini.

12. Henry Mancini was a famous and prolific composer of movie and easy-listening music. He recorded many, many records, including one in 1976, called "Henry Mancini Conducts the London Symphony Orchestra in a Conerct of Film Music", recorded at Abbey Road Studios.

13. Abbey Road Studios was established in 1931 and was the recoding site of many famous records, including Pink Floyd's 1973 album, "Dark Side of the Moon", which has sold over 50 million copies.

14. "Dark Side of the Moon" has several well-known tracks, including two songs that were singles and staples of FM radio -- "Money" and "Time".

15. "Time" was also the title of the xkcd comic #1190, also known as the One True Comic.

See??? It is ALL related! :shock:

Whoa. That took some work. Hurrah.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

P14: The speculation on GLR's private life is (was?) starting to get pretty intense and creepy... What this guy said is just perfect.
phlip wrote:I love how everyone is coming up with completely crazy theories from just two people sitting on a beach, and then building a sandcastle. Everything from the strip ending, to Randall is dying, to Randall's SO is dying, to they're expecting, to they've fucking miscarried...
Wait, no. Not "love". What's that other word? "Despise". Yeah, that's it.

Of course, this is the same crowd that takes every event in the comics that's at all romantic or contemplative and assumes it's based on Randall's life. And then often accuses Randall of not being creative enough, or abusing his real-life situation for comics/traffic, or suchlike. The same crowd that assumes Randall's SO is called "Megan", just because that's a name that has appeared often in the comic... and assumes that every one of those "Megan" characters is the same person, and is a representation of his SO (and also assumes that every female character in the comic is this "Megan" unless otherwise mentioned... like in this strip here, where neither character has a name, and that doesn't stop people from referring to the female character as "Megan"). AFAIK Randall has never said what his SO's name is... he keeps his personal life pretty private. Which is entirely his prerogative.

Yes, Randall has made reference to his real-life situation in the comics before. But he's always been much more explicit about it. I don't see any reason to assume that every single strip somehow relates to Randall's life.

Randall is a real person, remember. Not just some character. And so's his SO. Even if they rarely visits the forums and probably won't see it, it's stil fucking creepy to be making with the endless speculation and fanon-theories and fan-fiction stories about real people.
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

Aubron

Postby Aubron » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

One more last minute addition to The Book of Aubron, as I've learned it's been called, nighttime effects!

http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/?i=2350&play ... &speed=200

(also activates during the indoors segment.)
Creator of xkcd.aubronwood.com, AKA The Book of Aubron.

Reddit Moderator, Web Developer. Male.

fatness

Postby fatness » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

(probably ninja'd by now but...)

By the way, Randall made a "making of Time" blag post today.

http://blag.xkcd.com/

edited 7/30/2013 to add a direct link to the blag entry for those who may come by this in the future:
http://blog.xkcd.com/2013/07/29/1190-time/
Last edited by fatness on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

Aubron wrote:Just pushed out a closing set of updates to xkcd.aubronwood.com, including auto-pausing for special frames. However, most fun of which (in my own opinion) is the secret ability to add a ?youtube=YOUTUBEID and make background music for the comic.

Thanks for all the support! <3
Welcome back Aubron! We missed you! I used your player all the time; it's quite baobabish! Hope all is well with you - do stick around and tell!

kryton wrote:I failed in finishing my BlitzQuest before "The End".
The end of Time is not the end of time. We will still be here, and the Holy Quest is still just as awesome. So long as you remain pure of heart, there is no failure. We await your Glorious and Triumphant Return. :)

And even if you decide not to complete the Quest, it is not failure. Just the attempt separates you from ordinary mortals like myself.

Thus speaketh the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

For the mamal decree:
BlitzGirl wrote:ETA for decree:
My favorite recent frame is 3086, because it has Cuegan and LaPetite, and we did not suspect the end was nigh...
Spoiler:

I must agree with that. It was so full of hope and promise. Image And trees⁴!

Good job on the OneTruePoetry, SPACKlick and aeglaeca!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
neopifex wrote:4. BlitzGirl, you're awesome. :) If you're ever in need of more black redundakitties, my girl Serendipity would love to be of assistance: http://jacelio.com/special/sera/

Aww, pretty girl! Thank you! I'll always be in need of redundakitties. :) When I make a new batch of them, is it okay if I use some of your pictures?

You bet! Even the ones with a © on them. I've been meaning to go back and put Creative Commons icons on those anyway. :)
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

rcrowell

Postby rcrowell » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

Hi all! Though I've only posted a few times, I've been along for the wowride since the beginning of Time. And what a ride! Over the last few weeks, due to outside commitments, I've fallen behind a bit...my present is OTT pg. 1237 and y'all are up at 1296. I will eventually ketchup, I hope, but damn you all are moving fast and I'm trying so hard not to peek ahead.

Since I'm stuck in the past, this request might be a bit odd, but I'm working on a little project that will hopefully culminate in a past-present. I've been trying to figure out how I can contribute to the awesomeness of the OTT, and came up with something that may or may not work. Time will tell. To make it happen, though, I could really use a bit of help.

What I need is an animated GIF of the starry night that starts before it becomes obvious what is happening and ends after the last stars have completely faded from view. I recall that somebody posted such an animation about halfway through the night, but I don't think anybody generated one covering the whole sequence from before sunset to after sunrise. If I'm wrong, can one of you kindly point me to the GIF? If I'm right, can one of you help out by generating the GIF for me?

(I'd also really like to know how you go about doing this...I can easily compose an animated GIF from images, but what is the easiest way to grab a large number of OTC images? Alternately, is there a GIF that contains the entire OTC sequence already available somewhere from which I can just pull out the frames I'm interested in? I know there were some auto-updating GIFs early on, but don't know where they ended up or whether they were kept up to date.)

Finally, if you can help me out, I would greatly appreciate a PM letting me know, since I'm going to do my best not to spoiler the comic for myself by reading into the future...any help is greatly appreciated!!! And now, back to the present. Your past. Something like that.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:I wanted to OMR-All-Related-ify the latest OtherComic, but I'm stumped...

Spoiler:

2. The Kerbal Space Program is a space-flight simulator in development by Squad a game development company in Mexico City, Mexico.

3. Mexico City was built from the ashes of the Aztec city Tenochtitlán, destroyed by Hernan Cortes in 1521.

4. 1521 is also the year that the Edict of Worms was issued by the Holy Roman Emporer Charles V, declaring Martin Luther a heretic.

5. The Edict of Worms was issued during the Diet of Worms in Worms, Germany, where "diet" refers to a general assembly of Imperial Estates of the Holy Roman Empire. It does not refer to any culinary or nutritional choices by the assembly.

6. However, while it is true that humans CAN eat worms, it is much more likely that worms become parasites of humans -- these are the parasites known as the helminths.

7. The study of parasitic worms is called helminthology, and has a long history. One author, David L. Grove wrote a book about it called "A History of Human Helminthology" in 1990.

8. David L. Grove was also the name of a Pennsylvania Game Commission Wildlife Conservation officer shot and killed in the line of duty on November 11, 2010 as he was investigating night-time poaching.

9. The officer David L. Grove also wrote an article in about the dangers of night-time poaching called "A Shot in the Dark" for the Pennsylvania Game News Magazine available as a pdf download HERE.

10. "A Shot in the Dark" was also the name of a 1964 Blake Edwards Movie, and it was the second installment in the Pink Panther series starring Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau.

11. The Pink Panther was a series of comedy films and a spin-off cartoon featuring a well-known musical theme, composed by Henry Mancini.

12. Henry Mancini was a famous and prolific composer of movie and easy-listening music. He recorded many, many records, including one in 1976, called "Henry Mancini Conducts the London Symphony Orchestra in a Conerct of Film Music", recorded at Abbey Road Studios.

13. Abbey Road Studios was established in 1931 and was the recoding site of many famous records, including Pink Floyd's 1973 album, "Dark Side of the Moon", which has sold over 50 million copies.

14. "Dark Side of the Moon" has several well-known tracks, including two songs that were singles and staples of FM radio -- "Money" and "Time".

15. "Time" was also the title of the xkcd comic #1190, also known as the One True Comic.

This made me SO happy! :lol: I am glad you are sticking around StratPlayer!

I cannot wait to get home to listen to the different version of The Book of Aubron, set to music. I wonder what Yappo will manage to do with that :D

@Aubron Thank you for your wowterfall contributions!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Thanks, neopifex!

fatness wrote:By the way, Randall made a "making of Time" blag post today.

Squee! Image
Great Lord Randall wrote:To the intrepid, clever, sometimes crazy readers who followed it the whole way through, watching every pixel change and catching every detail: Thank you. This was for you. It’s been quite a journey; I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did!

Thank you! Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

JGeezer

Things I Never Got Around to Posting

Postby JGeezer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

Here are a couple of things that sort of collected while I WAITed FOR the right time to post IT. There's a lesson for you, sigh. Carpe Newpix from now on for me.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And do you all remember where you were when you ran into the Voldiframe? I was checking into a nice room in the New york Hilton, and eagerly caught up on my phone. I'll never be able to stay on the 33rd floor again.

Oh, the decree? So obvious...

Spoiler:
Irish Car Bomb cupcakes, of course..

Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Squee! Image

My thoughts exactly! How long before the Blag post get flooded with comments?

Also, I think he pretty much admitted to lurking, perhaps even participating, in the thread. He said the comic was specifically for the hard-core followers. Why go through all this work just to ignore the merriment of the OTT?

Quick, someone go blitz through the thread and see if you can figure out which user was just a little too GLR-ish.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:
lovepirate wrote:Am I the only one who saw "RUN." and thought of Minority Report?
Agatha: "I'm sorry John, but you're gonna have to run again."
John: "What?"
Agatha: "RUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!"

Sorry, straight to David Tennant.

What do we do now?
We run.

Anyone else here seen Run Lola Run? That's where I went. But Minority Report was in my head as well.

I was just thinking of the Run Lola Run soundtrack in reference to the youtube feature of aubron's viewer. I just checked to see if it had been referenced in the OTT before and found this. So, um a bit late, but yes. I love that movie actually.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

Aubron wrote:One more last minute addition to The Book of Aubron, as I've learned it's been called, nighttime effects!

Combined with the youtube feature that's just EPIC!
Even though it just got a LOT neater, your viewer has been my favourite to quickly browse the OTC from the beginning. Nice and simple to use. Thank you!
Last edited by Zorin_75 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go Minim go!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Aubron wrote:One more last minute addition to The Book of Aubron, as I've learned it's been called, nighttime effects!

Combined with the youtube feature that's just EPIC!
Even though it just got a LOT neater, your viewer has been my favourite to quickly browse the OTC from the beginning. Nice and simple to use. Thank you!

Oh my goodness. Yes, I think we'll need that night effect on whatever page we end up publishing the OTVO project on - it just adds so much drama to it!

BlitzGirl

More responses to the blag

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Great Lord Randall wrote:And as Time unfolded, readers gradually figured out that it was a story, set far in the future...

Final confirmation! Kudos, astronomy OTTers!

Great Lord Randall wrote:The xkcd forum thread on Time grew terrifyingly fast, developing a subculture with its own vocabulary, songs, inside jokes, and even a religion or two.

"Terrifyingly fast" is a neat way to put it. And hey, he knows about our newwords, our ottifications, our jokes, and our religions! I think you're right, Whizbang, I think GLR might have lurked here occasionally...
I like how his link to the OTT leads to post 999999999, which is good planning for the future! (We're only on 51840 now...)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

fatness wrote:(probably ninja'd by now but...)

I need the most amazing jaw-dropping emoticon you've ever seen right here. He knew.. he knew and watched and knew all along. He saw us figure out it was far in the future. He knows about our vocabulary and our religions and our songs!

I'm crying again. I don't know why it feels so good to know that he knows, but probably because it's cyclical. He did it for us, we had the OTT for ourselves AND to pay homage to what he was doing - thus for him.

Great Lord Randall wrote:and created a plausible future language for readers to try to decode.

And now we know it IS decodable. Time to get to it. :)

Great Lord Randall wrote:To the intrepid, clever, sometimes crazy readers who followed it the whole way through, watching every pixel change and catching every detail: Thank you. This was for you. It’s been quite a journey; I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did!

We did. We so very much did. Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Spoiler:

Whoa. That took some work. Hurrah.

Mind = BLOWN!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

GLR wrote:I just made this because I thought it would be neat

Yeah! It was pretty neat! :D
Go Minim go!

Aaeriele

Re: More responses to the blag

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I like how his link to the OTT leads to post 999999999, which is good planning for the future! (We're only on 51840 now...)

It's a convenient way to make sure the link always goes to the latest page of the thread.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

So happy Randall posted this. As Ace pointed out last page -- knowing is better than not knowing. :-)
Image- Kieryn

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I like how his link to the OTT leads to post 999999999, which is good planning for the future! (We're only on 51840 now...)

It's a convenient way to make sure the link always goes to the latest page of the thread.

Sure, but on this thread, you never know, we might get there... :wink:

I just noticed GLR linked to the One True Wiki, too:
Great Lord Randall wrote:If you want to see the story yourself before I spoil anything, you can use one of the many excellent third-party Time explorers, like the Geekwagon viewer, or one of the others listed here.

He knows your viewer, mscha! He called it "excellent"!
(I feel happy because I just reorganized that section recently...)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kryton

Postby kryton » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Aubron - I started with your tool, and I loved it! but when I started trying to follow on tablet and/or smart phone, geekwagon was there with a usable interface, that also cookie-remembered where I left off and started me there next time.
BUT at the issue of that which is named only reluctantly, the wagon had a broken wheel and I returned to the the tool that I started with, THX^2 :)

neopifex - I share you feeling of a lost friend, each morning checking for the newpix and the anticipation of "where is this going" was a bright spot each day.

Valarya - I haven't read the blog, got to run to nothingness for a while, put a placemark for me there, I'll BRB in a few.

I never did request a hat from cardinal Buffygirl, but then my avatars seemed to be pre-equipped, must be a class trait of mechanoids.

My favorite frame, 2895, where we find the answer (if you can read smudge that is).

off topic (not that it's possible to go off topic here, all topics loop back...)

1) if this doesn't come out in a book of its own, a great financial opportunity will be lost (i'm putting in my request for a signed copy >HERE<).

2) first it was the Oh me yarm Poster sized panels in XKCD that befuddled the mind, then click-n-drag blew the mind away, and not a serial within one.
Randall pushes the envelope and shows new ways for this on-line medium to convey art in new forms. following this geometric progression of OMG-ness, the next one will surely cause my brain to jump out of my left ear, dance a jig, and get invited to parties on the left coast.
1298 and counting

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:

If we keep going at this rate though, we'll have issues sometime around the year 8500.
Image- Kieryn

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

Nope.

Yay!
And we got some answers! Ninja'd by many, I know, but:
- The GLR knows about the OTW!
- It looks like He lurked a bit (or has spies in here).
- Set far in the future. (Unfortunately, no confirmation of the date.) [Edit: but a hint in “my only plan is to spend the next eleven thousand years catching up on sleep”.]
- Story was written in advance, frames were partially drawn in advance (probably up to and including the fade).
- Looks like the end appears rushed because it took Him so much time to draw the frames, perhaps it is shorter than the original plan?
- Beanish is a “plausible language” for us to “try to decode”. But does that mean it is decodable?
- This was for us!!!
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:

If we keep going at this rate though, we'll have issues sometime around the year 8500.

Well, chirp - how will Rosetta ever post her molpy pictures in 13291?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
CasCat wrote:Blindposting while ketchupping:

I just spent a lovely ten minutes reading the double-dactyl page and reminding myself of all the lovely, silly, funny poems people posted. But I noticed that at least some are missing; there are two double-dactyls on page 1038, another on page 1039, and one more on page 1040 that aren't included.

I'd edit them in but I'm afraid I have no idea how to edit a wiki and I'm afraid I'd break it again....)

Added. It's next to impossible for a single person to comb the whole thread for d-dactyls (and I missed one by Valarya the first time even on the pages I went through :oops: ) , so if you know missing ones please point them out or just add them to the wiki.
Which is very easy:

0) (optional: log in - this way it's possible to know who changed what, but in this Wiki anonymous edits are allowed)
1) go to the Double Dactyls page
2) click "Edit"
3) type/paste away
4) hit "Preview" to make sure it turns out the way you want it (else repeat step 4) until it does ;) )
5) click "Publish"

Don't worry about breaking something - all edits are archived and it's possible to restore an earlier version at any time.

Thanks, Zorin, for the explanation on how to edit the wiki (deliberately left unspoilered so people who happen to miss it will see it in my reply). That's much easier than I thought it would be.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

rcrowell wrote:What I need is an animated GIF of the starry night that starts before it becomes obvious what is happening and ends after the last stars have completely faded from view. I recall that somebody posted such an animation about halfway through the night, but I don't think anybody generated one covering the whole sequence from before sunset to after sunrise. If I'm wrong, can one of you kindly point me to the GIF? If I'm right, can one of you help out by generating the GIF for me?

That was me, and the completed GIF is:
It's not exactly what you want, though. Unfortunately, I don't have time in the next few days to make a new one – I'm spending more time here than I can afford already.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

Laser Plumb wrote:
Ace wrote:Papal Decree: Favourite Frame and Why

M1503:
Baobabs!

Basically because it was the first thing I actually recognised, in a landmark sense. Sandcastles can be made on any beach, on any coastline, and it would be unusual for people to not live near a river. Baobabs are slightly more unique, it theoretically narrows it down. (Said theory didn't pan out, but that's how theories go sometimes. Knowing is better than not knowing, even if the original theory is proven wrong.)

this was the most memorable for me too, though the map of the Mediterranean was a very close second ....

That's the frame (or near the frame) that made me blitz the whole OTT. Because I found the OTT right when they found the baobabs. And then I could see that there was a whole culture and language on the OTT that I didn't know, and I didn't want to look like a newbie and ask "what's a molpy?" So I read seven hundred thirty three pages of OTT before I made my first post...

(What, me OCD? I don't know *what* you're talking about...)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Looks like the end appears rushed because it took Him so much time to draw the frames, perhaps it is shorter than the original plan?

I suspect it may have been this and also I like to think he did edit the final sequence down to coincide with out 50,000th post in a sort of tip of the hat type of gesture.
Image- Kieryn

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

Ketchup, Part 2
(Delayed due to the One True Blag)

Lokiparts wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:I missed it?! I missed it?! I go away for the weekend and come back to 11 newpix and 45 newpages of the end...
I had to go to the bathroom to avoid crying at my desk. I feel like a friend has died.

Well at least I wasn't the only one. I litterally saw the second to last frame on Friday before I left for the day, and thought to myself, "this should be a good place to leave off. When I ketchup on Monday there will be lots of fun conversation in OTT and lots of interesting frames." SO MUCH FOR THAT THEORY! :(

*hugs* for SPACKlick and Lokiparts!

@Vytron, spoilers:
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:I don't know what happened to Time, I've had to skip and ignore signatures from people that seem to want to spoil it for me and other blitzers, whatever it is that is happening, which I don't know if it's the big event of page 1135 or another big event more recent. I just want to make clear that I DON'T WANT TO KNOW YET! Several events lose their meaning if one doesn't read them in "real time" (or as "real time" it can be for people blitzing 10 days behind). <snip>

As of now I'm taking extreme measures to avoid getting spoiled, disabling signatures and avatars at least till I reach page 1250 and know what happened, or something, I'll miss sigcouragement and avatars but I don't see another option. I also hope people don't PM me or edit past posts to spoil stuff or carry some other information, which, if I wanted to know I'd be psychoblitzing or Fry Saucing, the fact I'm still in the past means people should respect my wish to learn about Time events as they happened in the past.

Poor Vytron. Instead of sigcouragement he got sig-spoilers. :(
Since you may not be able to see sigcouragement when you reach this point in Time (or after-Time), good luck on your blitzing! You can make it!

@Valarya, forestry:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
Goggalor wrote:I'm currently in college, majoring in forestry and I chirping love it! Most people I talk to have no idea forestry is an actual major and immediately get me to explain it (which I'm terrible at). I don't understand it's lack of popularity.

Awesomeful! I have a good friend in Portland is who is going to school for the same thing. And a step-brother in Seattle who just graduated for that as well. I bet it's more popular in the PNW. :P

My uncle graduated in forestry and is working for the U.S. Forest Service out of Portland. :)

Exposure Therapy:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:What we need is exposure therapy!

You know I had to open all of those. I hate you.
BlitzGirl wrote:Added a new OTColored frame, because I felt like doing some crazy coloring (just as therapeutic as when I was five years old...)
Colorbazooka (click for larger version)
<snip>
Ok, I can't stay mad at you. This is chirping awesome (and oh so printable...)

I hatelove you too, HES! :mrgreen:

ucim wrote:Caught the molpy. I already know I gotta open every one of BlitzGirl's spoilers. (and all of everyone else's too, but she started it!)

You've welcome. :D

taixzo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:What we need is exposure therapy!

Argh! I had to open all of those in case there was a kitty or a molpy! :(

And there was a molpy! You were right! :wink:

SPACKlick wrote:The top Posters (over 1000 posts) are MSCHA (2330) Blitzgirl (2087) and HAL9000 (1050). [With current pages Blitzgirl is the most Poped at 60, mscha has 58 and Hall is at 24 below charlie_grumbles at 26 but remember, popes have been bumped by firstposts being approved]

Yay, more stats!
(How the chirp did I end up being mome'd so much?)

taixzo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Added a new OTColored frame, because I felt like doing some crazy coloring (just as therapeutic as when I was five years old...)
Colorbazooka (click for larger version):
Spoiler:

I want that on a shirt!!!!!!!

Redundant:
Spoiler:

ColorBazookaShirt.png
ColorBazookaShirt.png (103.89 KiB) Viewed 11137 times

Keywords: BGUM t-shirt tee shirt tshirt colorbazooka color bazooka frame lucky manip attack clouds
redundant73.png
redundant73.png (107.53 KiB) Viewed 11137 times
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

mscha wrote:- Set far in the future. (Unfortunately, no confirmation of the date.)

Not true. We've always said it's 11,000+ years in the future and, in his edit, the GLR says this:

GLR wrote:my only plan is to spend the next eleven thousand years catching up on sleep

He even said we got it right around the Long Night sequence. ;)

What a day. Aubron shows up and completely EPICs out the Book of Aubron with a slider at the bottom, a fading page for nighttime and indoor sequences and the ability to add your own background music....
AND our Great Lord Randall gives us all a little nod.

Val is happy.
Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

Mood on a scale of 1-10:
Last week (up to 4pm EST): 5
4pm Friday - twenty minutes ago: 0
Now: 999999999

Kieryn wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:

Dammit! Someone will have to put up a note on that page, to tell future blitzers where the most recent newpage is.
(...I wonder how long it would take to blitz a twenty-five-million-page thread? :shock: )
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

Looks like geekwagon's server is starting to get a beating... @mscha, you might be lucky he didn't directly link yours...
Image- Kieryn

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

I just want to say, THANK YOU. I discovered your Book of Aubron weeks before I discovered this thread. And it kept me caught up on Time when I had to work or sleep...

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

:D Nice! Where do I get one?!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:

Well, chirp - how will Rosetta ever post her molpy pictures in 13291?

Dammit! Someone will have to put up a note on that page, to tell future blitzers where the most recent newpage is.
(...I wonder how long it would take to blitz a twenty-five-million-page thread? :shock: )

Time 2: Rosetta Blitzes the OTT
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

Mood on a scale of 1-10:
Last week (up to 4pm EST): 5
4pm Friday - twenty minutes ago: 0
Now: 999999999

Kieryn wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:

Well... the year 8500 was a rounding of a quick google calculation:

EDIT: :oops: misread your post. yeah. I guess BlitzGirl might be better equipped to answer that one.
Image- Kieryn

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”