1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

I'm being in a being-off with StratPlayer for the Time being...
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Only if the state of being a being I'm used to being while simultaneously being a being that you're being used to me being is itself being wrong :P Being being being.

Well, now you're just being silly. For the time being you can keeping being the time being you've been being for Time, it being the being that becomes you.

I'm being the being I feel like being for the Time being; since Time has timed out, someTimes being beings beyond Time-beings is itself being Time-ish (see: being facebooked into a timely Time-group of beings), but being Outside-Time beings and inside Time-beings at the same Time is not being kind to my well-being.

ETA:
Spoiler:
Molpy being molpy being molpy being molpy being molpy being molpy being grapevine grapevine!
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:49 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

For us Blitzers who feel like we're doing something tough and noble -- we're not even reading *half* of the commentary on this comic!! Anyone blitzing IRC? :D
zachbarnett wrote:We are talking about this comic via IRC.
Join us. What is the zoom going to reveal?

#xkcd-time on irc.foonetic.net.
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Here's my OTColorification. I was actually surprised something similar hasn't been done before (or I suck at using 'search' function) since it was referred to the Long Night as "Starry Night" quite often.

It's newpix 2420 (but it doesn't really matter, it would look almost the same for other night newpixes too).

Now I'll try to add it to the Wiki, I'll ask for help if I fail. :)

Spoiler:
2420-starry-night.png
Last edited by NoMouse on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Also, when I see an add for the online shoe store "Zappos," I always read it as "Yappos." :D

:mrgreen: For all you know I could have an online shoe store ;)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Oooh, awesomeful colorfication, NoMouse! :)

I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the different colored variations we get for lengthy sequences like the Fading and the Long Night.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

NoMouse: I love it! Van Gogh is one of my favourite artists, anything Starry Night, and I am there.

I vaguely recall something similar, way back, but I don't think it was the night scenes.
Wait for it.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

@NoMouse: Beautiful!

I was going to start working on more OTColorifications, but I just started on as a moderator for a fairly busy website/forum, so I was learning the basics over there. I came up with a couple of good ideas, so I'm going to get on them soon! I'm glad to see the thread is still going strong in the absence of Time.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm being in a being-off with StratPlayer for the Time being...
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Only if the state of being a being I'm used to being while simultaneously being a being that you're being used to me being is itself being wrong :P Being being being.

Well, now you're just being silly. For the time being you can keeping being the time being you've been being for Time, it being the being that becomes you.

I'm being the being I feel like being for the Time being; since Time has timed out, someTimes being beings beyond Time-beings is itself being Time-ish (see: being facebooked into a timely Time-group of beings), but being Outside-Time beings and inside Time-beings at the same Time is not being kind to my well-being.

ETA:
Spoiler:
Molpy being molpy being molpy being molpy being molpy being molpy being grapevine grapevine!

You know what? I hereby declare you the winner of the being-off!

Plus, given this, "...not being kind to my well-being," let me offer you a molpy-hug for the sake of your well-being -- it still being a little fragile for all of us post-Wait Waiters:

molpy hug.jpg
molpy hug.jpg (6.41 KiB) Viewed 11374 times
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Yay! And so cute! *hugs back*

A last little smidgen of Image...

SPACKlick wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:...the OTT has stopped looping, it seems. We now have the following pattern, post-np3094:

Code: Select all

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBADB
DEBCEADECACD

That is, since 00:00 UTC (8 pm RDT), the pattern has been broken. Too early to tell if there's a new one.
Hmm, seems too patterned to be random, seems to random to be a pattern. GLR is messing with us, the order of the pictures from 21:00 UTC is 01234232104230432104322321010432104230432104322321010432104230432104322321031341240342023
Spoiler:
So far there have been 17 A/0s, 14 B/1s, 23 c/2s, 20 D/3s, 15 E/4s
We have never gone from A to A, B to B, D to D, E to E, or from B to E
There have only been 33 of the possible 125 triplets (of which we could have had 87 so far).

Pairs AE, BA and DC account for nearly 40% of pairs...
I've got nothing, it could be random, but the fact that 3 times we get C then C confuses me...

I can totally see GLR putting some kind of hidden message in the epilogue cycle (the Javascript is still there for a reason...); however, I can also totally see him nerdsniping us with something that looks like a pattern...

neopifex wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:BlitzGirl, do you still have a bigger version of “Under the Same Stars”?

Eee! I hadn't seen this one before. So beautiful! BlitzGirl, you've got some crazy awesome talents. :)

Thanks, neopifex! And thanks again to all y'all for being so neat. The OTT has turned seaishly creative since the Sadness...

yappobiscuits wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:One last OTT-filk from me. Maybe a little sadder and harsher than I might like it to be, but it does match the tone of the original...
It's All Over Now for Meg and Cue
(to the tune of "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" by Bob Dylan)
<snip>

I'm torn. It was a neat filk, but INTO THE BASEMENT WITH IT!

Agreed. We can play it on repeat for the OTTers still down there.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Congratulations, BlitzPlayer and StratGirl, "Being" no longer sounds like a word.

@NoMouse, superb!
He/Him/His Image

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Ace wrote:NoMouse: I love it! Van Gogh is one of my favourite artists, anything Starry Night, and I am there.

I vaguely recall something similar, way back, but I don't think it was the night scenes.

Thanks, Ace, BlitzGirl, Goggalor and HES!
I have found some "Van Goghification", but it was one of the earliest frames.
ETA: This. Maybe we could add it to the Wiki too.
Last edited by NoMouse on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm being in a being-off with StratPlayer for the Time being...
StratPlayer wrote:

ETA:
Spoiler:

"Being" just totally stopped being a real word.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Also, when I see an add for the online shoe store "Zappos," I always read it as "Yappos." :D

:mrgreen: For all you know I could have an online shoe store ;)

Wouldn't you be zappobiscuits, then? :D

Amazing Van Gogh colorization! Beautiful!

And I see there have been a couple more positive posts from StratPlayer. Guess the threat of the basement worked. :D

Oh, I was going to do some work, wasn't I? :| OK, I really am now. These zombies and raptos won't observe and relocate themselves. (kenmelken isn't back yet, is he? :cry: )

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Tsk, tsk, thegreger, you talk lunait into blitzing and then I find xer firstpost here, all alone and unwelcomed... :P
(Or, you know, you welcomed xem and my double-search method missed it... Is there a way to set up a search specifically for quoted text?)

lunait wrote:
thegreger wrote:Just convinced a friend of mine to start a fast blitz from page one! He missed out on what has happened so far, and I feel that the thread is the only way to properly understand the vastness of this thing.

I'm the friend he's talking about. Just registered on the forums. I read xkcd regularly but haven't kept up to date with this particular comic since it started.

Commencing blitz in 3, 2, 1, ...

Hi, lunait, glad you let thegreger talk you in to joining us! By the time you blitz up to here I may have actually caught up myself. (What? It could happen!)
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

For lmjb, a hatted zombie: Image

NoMouse wrote:ETA: This. Maybe we could add it to the Wiki too.

Sure, I'll go add it. :)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Actaeus wrote:I made an OTColorful thing!
Did I did good? :o

You did spectacular! Like unto a baobob. I guess you know what you're doing!

I came across many other colorations; too many for me to remember, but I loved them all. They brighten my day!

smolloy wrote:PS: An interesting pass-time back here in deep-Time is posting little nonsense updates (millions of posts saying nothing more than "Wait for it") in order to ensure that this thread (not yet called the OTT) beats "Pressures" for the most-posted-on thread in these fora. Seems a little silly now... :D
Ah, yes, Pressures. What a quaint little thread! I think that river hadn't even reached the sea!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

314159 wrote:Still not updating for me. Of course, this slip gives away the gist of the next few frames now. I wonder how many frames ahead that accidental one was?

Cool! P58, there was a glitch, and the result of the pan/zoom was accidentally revealed several newpix early! Kinda cute to see that the server admins were still doing everything by hand at that stage.
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Okay. I'm hiding in the bathroom. Since the little wonder has learned to crawl, it has been very hard to ketchup or post. Now I've got a 3-pronged fry-sauce going, and I suspect it will become 4-pronged before long.

Just wanted to blindpost to say I'm still around, and that I'm enjoying the coloured frames, SPACKlick's analyses, new songs, and great poetry with the new rhyme-scheme. Other stuff too, but with three spots in the thread open and a little person testing the structural integrity of everything, I am not super-coherent right now, and it's impossible to write more than a few sentences at a time.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

Pure silliness:
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Time Training.png

Redundant Man.png
Redundant Man.png (12.54 KiB) Viewed 11313 times
Last edited by Whizbang on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zorin_75

Re: Ketchup Part 2

Postby Zorin_75 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

GLR wrote:P.S. A lot of people have asked if I can sell some kind of Time print collection (or a series of 3,099 t-shirts, where you run to the bathroom and change into a new one every hour). I’m afraid I don’t have anything like that in the works right now. I just made this because I thought it would be neat, and now that it’s done, my only plan is to spend the next eleven thousand years catching up on sleep.

Come to think of it, it says a lot about Randall that he hasn't thought about merchandise for this at all. He just wanted to do something neat. And that shows.

Still, we need t-shirts ;) . I like it simple. What about something like this:
on the chest, nothing else...

yappobiscuits wrote:The beginning of that was so very epic and neat, with the music and the night effect! And then when I realised what the song was I SQUEE'D. Nice to see another Within Temptation fan here! :mrgreen:

Thought you'd like that :mrgreen:
Yeah, they have always such a big sound. The instrumental makes for a neat soundtrack, but Sharon's got such a great voice, too...

smolloy wrote:PS: An interesting pass-time back here in deep-Time is posting little nonsense updates (millions of posts saying nothing more than "Wait for it") in order to ensure that this thread (not yet called the OTT) beats "Pressures" for the most-posted-on thread in these fora. Seems a little silly now... :D

:mrgreen:
Blitzgirl has beaten that one single-handedly...

Spoiler:
wait.png
wait.png (7.91 KiB) Viewed 11344 times
Go Minim go!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Pure silliness:
Spoiler:
Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:

So ful of awesome! Image

(OtherComic http://xkcd.com/344/ for those wondering.)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

More brilliance, Whizbang! You're definitely on a roll today! :mrgreen:
BlitzGirl wrote:A circus actually sounds like fun, though... :wink:

It does rather doesn't it! Hmm... that's given me another idea for a filk...

TimeTale
Ottification of "Scaretale" by Nightwish.
(I thought it'd be fun to represent the OTT as a nightmare circus, especially since SecondTalon claims to be scared of us :P. Imagine some wacky Tim Burton-esque visuals to go along with this.)
Spoiler:
Ring a ring o wow-trees
A pocket full of molpies
Chirp-mustard! Chirp-mustard!
We all molpy down…

Once upon a Time in a forum
Dying to meet you, new lurker
Enter, enter this sideshow!
Time to wait for it, come join us
Thirteen chimes on the newpix clock
Ding-dong ding-dong ding-dong!

The thread will lure you, don't resist now
Our insanity will infect you
Yes, you're one of us now!
Molpy up, the seeeea is BIG!
Have some ketchup with your blitz
Addiction pulls you under! under under under under

Ladies and Gentlemen!
Be wowterfully welcome
To the One True Circus!
And what a show we have for you tonight!

Timewaiters with all their fine hats to wear
Songmakers with ottodies to share
There's haikuists, d-dactylists
Molpy hunters hunting for a scare!

Hoo-ha! Hoo-ha! Hoo-ha! Hoo-ha!

Molpy a-molpy molpy oh grapevine!
Molpy a-molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine!

(Evil laughter!)

Swarms of beesnakes, tiny trebuchets
Semencoffeecancerbaconbabies: Drink it, drink it!
Sandcastles still stand tall for us
Follow the Knights here, they'll show you, lurking outsider
Our One True Thread, you will never leave us!

:twisted:

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Ace wrote:Wait More With Feeling
Spoiler:
Part 1: Posting Through The Madness

Note: I won't be doing I've Got a Theory. Instead see Rule110's excellent version here!

-

The Mustard

MAN:
He took the mustard out!

CHORUS:
He took the mustard out!

I can't really claim credit for this one. (Ninja'd by the original version, SPACKlick, and CasCat.)

-

Under Your Thread

EX-LURKER:
I lived my life in shadow
Never the sun on my face
It didn't seem so sad, though
I figured that was my place
Now I'm bathed in light
Something just isn't right

I'm under your thread
How else could it be
Anyone would notice me?
It's magic, I can tell
How you've set me free
Brought me out so easily

I saw a world analysed
Pixels and charts in the air
I always took for granted
I was the only one there
But your forum shone
Brighter than any of I've known.

I'm under your thread
Nothing I can do
You just took my soul with you
You worked your charts so well
Finally, I knew
Everything I dreamed was true
You made me believe...

OTTers:
Ahhhh, ahhh, ahhh. (etc...)

EX-LURKER:
The stars to the night
I can see you theorise
I'm under your thread
Posting like the sea
Drawn to you so helplessly
I post with every frame
Lost in seaish posts
Peering at baobab trees
You make me complete!
You make me complete
You make me complete

Based on 'Under Your Spell' from Once More With Feeling.

Nice job, Ace! I missed Rule110's OTTification, since have lots of past stuff to read. I did a version of "I've Got Theory," but I never posted it because I wanted to record it, but I never did, so..I've actually got about 4 filks I've never posted for that reason. Why don't I just post the lyrics, you might ask? I don't know. I'm silly.

Go for it! I only skipped it because it felt a little unfair to be writing about theories now that it's over, and a good portion of them were either proven or disproven. Future knowledge is cheating, and I'm not quite able to put it out of my mind when I write. Tried that once, wrote a story set 10 years in the past, kept slipping in contemporary references anyway.

lmjb1964 wrote:Edited to add: When I'm doing a show, I write the what pitches my timpani are tuned to at the top of the page so I remember where each pitch is. On one page in Les Mis, they're tuned to A, C, and E. So, I have ACE at the top of the page, and it makes me think of "our" Ace. :)

Aww, I'm an "our"! I thought I was more a lurker, the past several hundred framesheh, but man, I feel welcome! I love it, the OTT, the OTTers, everything. It's my home not-physically-away from home.

I know, I've said it before, and I probably will again. Not sure what to call 'the opposite of complaining', but I try to do it at every available opportunity.
hehI've probably posted more since That Frame than I have in the weeks leading up to it.

EDIT: Alas, I must molpy down, but I'll be back to finish OTTifying OMWF later! This serves as a good reminder-to-self post actually, as it contains the last OTTification completed.
Last edited by Ace on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait for it.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Very nice, StratPlayer, though I would have connected Seattle directly to "Grey's Anatomy" and skipped over "Life as we Know it." :wink:

Thanks, and you're right -- there's no real Woodrow Wilson High School in Seattle, but there is a Junior High there with that name. But then, I'd also have to have stumbled onto the fact that "Grey's Anatomy" is set in Seattle -- I've never actually watched it.... :shock:

It probably helps that I live in Seattle. And have watched "Grey's Anatomy." :wink:

That's right.... You've said that before (and I stalked your blog a couple of times, too. But in a totally non-creepy, opposite-of-weird-psycho-crazy-guy way!)

But, hmmmm...... Seattle.... It fits! Maybe you're really Andrea Peterson!!!

Image Not LaPetite, not Rosetta, not Andrea Peterson...who else am I not being now? I forget.

I could be Rash and say Chelsea, but that would probably be wrong...

Only if the state of being a being I'm used to being while simultaneously being a being that you're being used to me being is itself being wrong :P Being being being.
Well, now you're just being silly. For the time being you can keep being the time being you've been being for Time, it being the being that becomes you.

Then, later, you can be a rash being and get a handle on becoming the being of Chelsea, which you've been lately, but which is not Chelsea Lately, which requires a Handler, not a handle, although the handle of "Chelsea Lately" could be rashly applied to the being you've been lately, right?

:wink:

(Edited for clarity... Sort of...)

I don't know, it made perfect sense to me.. especially b/c I know what you know. And if you know what there is to know up there, do you know me too? (are you on the facebook group?!)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

Time-verse, Part 1: The Beginning.

Spoiler:
A guy with a head shaped like a ball
Sat with girl and built castle tall
A little swim they had, concerted
Which ended when she spat and spurted
The guy continued to build the fort
But his building efforts were cut short
Because the girl wanted fun and play
So she brought along a trebuchet
Together they revelled in a grand cascade
Of the central bridge that he'd just made
But a trebuchet's a tricky thing
And one small shot went blundering
It almost hit her on her head
So back to building they went instead
The girl began to build alone
And began to build a tremendous throne
Bigger and taller, up it went
Until she a slip cause her descent
But now again the guy assisted
And they chatted while they persisted
They talked of the river and its excursion
Then played again with silly recursion
For a moment the sea stole the girls attention
To her it seemed to defy convention
But the guy distracted her with a thought
Of ramping up their mighty fort
And soon they were back with a ladder and poles
Bucket, rope and mighty goals
A mighty scaffold underway
But the girl soon realized they
Were witnessing an odd suprise
The salty water had begun to rise
They continued to build up anyhow
They'd come too far, to give up now
But they did try to make sense of it all
Of the sea so big, and river, small
The construction continued as did their concerns
Soon they started taking turns
They speculated of another other rill
Or any reason the sea should spill
But knew little did that girl and guy
So all they could do was to keep building high
Pretty soon their masterpiece complete
The girl lay down to rest her feet
And while in deepest slumber slept
A smaller, hatted, young girl crept
And looked admiringly at their amazing deed
Before slipping off quietly with hasty speed
In the morning the girl seemed in a trance
She talked a lot about the sea's advance
After adorning their mighty fort with flags
The girl suggested they should pack their bags
An expedition was quickly planned
And off they went across the sand ...
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Can the people who run the Time viewers add colorization support, where you can view the colorized version of the frame if wanted or something?
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Time-verse, Part 1: The Beginning.

Spoiler:

4 and 7! Looking forward to the rest!

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

NoEdge wrote:
Helper wrote:
inhalvast wrote:I'd rather not have that happen for our own sanity's sake.

That ship ship sailed 140 newp-- er, three days ago.

Days? What are those?
From your 140 newp(ix, I'm assuming) comment, I'll assume that one day is... 46 2/3 newpix. What an impractical unit of measurement. Why would you use days?

And here, in P61, is the first post where someone suggested that outside units of Time are not preferred in this thread :) The heresy begins!

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I'm pretty sure the closest genetic relatives to elephants are other elephants.

Nah, their sisters are closer. Not to mention their twins.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Tiny bit of this Image again.

@all the filks:
Spoiler:

Whizbang wrote:Pure silliness:
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The attachment Time Training.png is no longer available

The attachment Redundant Man.png is no longer available

Your filks, humour and redundakitties have made these last few pages. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Zorin_75 wrote:Still, we need t-shirts ;) . I like it simple. What about something like this:
on the chest, nothing else...

Ninja'd. This is what I've had in mind for quite some time. Something simple with our duo and the title text to 'Wait for It.' I think it would be neat to have several frame-options done simply as well, so when I'm out of work I'll pull up some of the ones I've been thinking about. Image

NO REDUNDAKITTIES HERE. MOVE ALONG PLEASE.
Spoiler:
TRICKED YA~!
546874_413349618719217_1054371503_n.jpg

lolcatsdotcom3usaludo8a8y89ol.jpg
Last edited by Valarya on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

P62: The development of the One True Religion is really going quite strong back here in deep-time. This is what happens when you give us frame after frame after frame of panning and zooming Randall! We need more! And faster!

Spoiler:
bouer wrote:
keithl wrote:
Helper wrote:
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

I don't know. Nobody does. There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it. And on occasional, the rooms feels warmer and is illuminated and I see what I can only assume to the Outside in the glare of my laptop screen, but I have always been similarly to frightened to look at the glare directly. From whence does the glare emerge, anyway?

The Outside is actually the Big Blue Room, where they keep the Jumbo Sized Air Fresheners, the Intermittent Sprinkler System, and the Hurtling Metal Boxes of Doom. The glare comes from the Great Headlight of The Universe, bearing down upon our sandcastle at 2 gigapixels per newpix, but always missing due to the protection of the Holy Flag of Saint Kepler. Praise be!

But the Outside is full of Outsiders, who wants to deal with them?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:Can the people who run the Time viewers add colorization support, where you can view the colorized version of the frame if wanted or something?

On my todo. I have a very long todo. We might have a very long wait. But hey, I'm guessing we are not an impatient bunch.
Image- Kieryn

waveney

Postby waveney » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:...the OTT has stopped looping, it seems. We now have the following pattern, post-np3094:

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBADB
DEBCEADECACD

That is, since 00:00 UTC (8 pm RDT), the pattern has been broken. Too early to tell if there's a new one.
Hmm, seems too patterned to be random, seems to random to be a pattern. GLR is messing with us, the order of the pictures from 21:00 UTC is 01234232104230432104322321010432104230432104322321010432104230432104322321031341240342023
Spoiler:
There have only been 33 of the possible 125 triplets (of which we could have had 87 so far).

I've got nothing, it could be random, but the fact that 3 times we get C then C confuses me...

I can totally see GLR putting some kind of hidden message in the epilogue cycle (the Javascript is still there for a reason...); however, I can also totally see him nerdsniping us with something that looks like a pattern...

Could it be converted into new hash codes for more images?

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

P63: The first use of "One True ***" Another landmark moment!
keithl wrote:Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. It should indeed be newpic, not the profane and plural newpix - there is only the One True Picture, now and for all Time. I feel so unclean. Pray for the forgiveness of my sins!

It's amazing to me, how many of the memes I only learnt about many many newpix from now (present now, not deep-time now) were settled so early in this thread. Very cool!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:A circus actually sounds like fun, though... :wink:

It does rather doesn't it! Hmm... that's given me another idea for a filk...

TimeTale
Ottification of "Scaretale" by Nightwish.
(I thought it'd be fun to represent the OTT as a nightmare circus, especially since SexyTalon claims to be scared of us :P. Imagine some wacky Tim Burton-esque visuals to go along with this.)
Spoiler:
Ring a ring o wow-trees
A pocket full of molpies
Chirp-mustard! Chirp-mustard!
We all molpy down…

Once upon a Time in a forum
Dying to meet you, new lurker
Enter, enter this sideshow!
Time to wait for it, come join us
Thirteen chimes on the newpix clock
Ding-dong ding-dong ding-dong!

The thread will lure you, don't resist now
Our insanity will infect you
Yes, you're one of us now!
Molpy up, the seeeea is BIG!
Have some ketchup with your blitz
Addiction pulls you under! under under under under

Ladies and Gentlemen!
Be wowterfully welcome
To the One True Circus!
And what a show we have for you tonight!

Timewaiters with all their fine hats to wear
Songmakers with ottodies to share
There's haikuists, d-dactylists
Molpy hunters hunting for a scare!

Molpy a-molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine!

(Evil laughter!)

Swarms of beesnakes, tiny trebuchets
Semencoffeecancerbaconbabies: Drink it, drink it!
Sandcastles still stand tall for us
Follow the Knights here, they'll show you, lurking outsider
Our One True Thread, you will never leave us!

:twisted:

Heh, the OTT certainly seems creepier when you put it that way...

Kieryn wrote:Time-verse, Part 1: The Beginning.

Spoiler:

Wowterful! Can't wait for more (oh, actually, yes I can...) :)

waveney wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
Spoiler:

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBADB
DEBCEADECACD

Spoiler:

What. :shock:
The images are in the epilogue code?
*grabs epilogue cycle and shakes it violently*
GIVE ME YOUR NEWPIX NOW I KNOW YOU HAVE THEM IN THERE!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

Incognito357 wrote:Gee Willikers, grief counseling, and cake will probably have to be served at the end of this enrichment center activity Time.

P64: Don't worry Incognito357, there will be cake. Oh boy, will there be cake. :D

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Heh, the OTT certainly seems creepier when you put it that way...

Good, that's what I was going for :twisted:

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

Wraithlord wrote:All hail the divine Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Creator of Time
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix

Sorry for the spam, but I'd say this is a landmark. P64 -- the religion is fully formed!

Really, I am sorry for spamming so much. I think the reason is that I'm stuck in the pan&zoom&pan&zoom&pan days, and the thread-watchers have little else to do but come up with a lot of hugely inventive stuff!
(As I said before, PM me if you want me to slow down or stop being so spammy!)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

[math][/math]
waveney wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
Spoiler:

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBADB
DEBCEADECACD

Spoiler:

As I already mentioned, it's probably a time based fractal with some very simple code to produce a seemingly predictable but deviating pattern. Yeah, nerdsniping.
Image- Kieryn

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:
mscha wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
mscha wrote:I'm guessing the latter – He's making it up as He goes along.
I think He just started off with the Beach scene, and had no idea how long He'd keep it up and where to go.

I don't think we'll ever know, unless Randall tells us. There are writers of quite complicated novels that just charge in and make it up as they go.

{P1163}
I think it went like this:
During various researches he came across a hypothesis that the Mediterranean would dry out and then refill in around 10000 years and decided he wanted to put that in a comic. That's all you would need as a seed.
It then becomes a series of problem solving -
Too large an event for a handful of frames
What else would happen in that time (the star super nova)
How could he hide cultural artefacts
What else could he hide (the moon and this would nail the date)
What other ideas he'd been working on could he throw in (the alien tongues)
Is there room for a trebuchet
Etc. ie. eg.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”