1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

yappobiscuits

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:38 am UTC

:lol: Treeish moonmanips, Charlie!

I should've molpied down some time ago, but I ended up staying up to write the music to BlitzGirl's poem instead, while the idea was fresh in my head... but I've finished that now, so molpy down time.
Spoiler:
img_1820.jpg
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:45 am UTC

MicroBlitz report, NP1301 (last 10 messages) through NP1303

Awesomeful poetry from BlitzGirl (⁷)!
Wowterful ottifications from taixzo, Eternal Density, Pfhorrest (but please mention what you're ottifying for those of us that don't recognize it... I did in this case, though, because I ninja'd you by almost 3 months.), rvloon!
Amazing colorizations/manips from taixzo, k.bookbinder, Kieryn (⁷), BlitzGirl (OMBG!), mikro2nd, Ximenez!
Latent22, awesomeful (by now) past present!

@cameroda, can you fix the order of your [ / quote ] and [ / spoiler ] tags in this message, please?

The epilogue sequence...
If we name the 5 final newpix after the frame-that-shan't-be-mentioned A through E, then the hourly (oldpixly?) sequence of frames after that is now:
    CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBA
    DB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDABAB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDAB
    ED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCE
We've had two 24-hour cycles (colored blue and green), it's too early to tell whether we're in a third one now.
No idea what's up with this... Perhaps every time the GLR finds out we figured out the pattern, He changes it?42

Tomorrow much more microblitzing, I hope! (And I'll try to fully blitz up this weekend, and hopefully contribute something creative too.)

42:
Douglas Adams, in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, wrote:There is a theory that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it's here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:52 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:StratPlayer, nice job with "Wowtree Wood."! I knew that you couldn't stop. And in case you haven't noticed, you're not alone.

Wait, jovialbard says something about you singing it with a British accent. Did you record it?

Sorry I should have said "of course one sings that with a British accent". Have we every heard StratPlayer sing? He's written so many OTTodies, but has he recorded one? I don't recall hearing any such thing...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:08 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Also if you already are good at drawing on paper then you will want to get a cheap drawing tablet of some kind so you don't have to try and teach yourself to draw with a mouse which is a lot harder.

I tend to disagree. I dabbled a bit with creating graphics on the pc (well I dabbled with almost anything on the pc), but made the mistake to buy a cheap drawing tablet. Though a lot - a seaish lot - better than the mouse it is still really limiting. I finally bought a not so cheap wacom intuos, which i really can recommend. Don't get the smallest one. The medium ones are great, the biggest ones don't deliver as much bang per buck (except you really need that size [twss]).

I tried using a stylus with an iPad once and found it terrible. From my experience, nothing beats a good old pencil and paper. If you want to digitize it, just photo or scan it and then you can start doing the CG effects.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:15 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Also if you already are good at drawing on paper then you will want to get a cheap drawing tablet of some kind so you don't have to try and teach yourself to draw with a mouse which is a lot harder.

I tend to disagree. I dabbled a bit with creating graphics on the pc (well I dabbled with almost anything on the pc), but made the mistake to buy a cheap drawing tablet. Though a lot - a seaish lot - better than the mouse it is still really limiting. I finally bought a not so cheap wacom intuos, which i really can recommend. Don't get the smallest one. The medium ones are great, the biggest ones don't deliver as much bang per buck (except you really need that size [twss]).

I tried using a stylus with an iPad once and found it terrible. From my experience, nothing beats a good old pencil and paper. If you want to digitize it, just photo or scan it and then you can start doing the CG effects.

iPAD uses a capacitive touch screen!!! This is only designed for big meaty fingers. You can get stylus's for it but they have to pretend to be like a finger to work and are about 100 times less accurate (i'm not joking here) than a proper solution. Some of the Samsung note series include a proper style pen and they build two sensors into the tablet surface. One for your fingers and one for their custom pens. But this still won't compare to a proper wacom external drawing tablet that probably beats pencil and paper in many ways.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:21 am UTC

BuffyGirl's Awesome Idea
ok, sorry .... just attention-seeking...

Ok, so here's my idea. It's a(nother) video idea consistent with the whole goal of trying to somehow convey to others what the combined experience of the OTC and OTT was like. I suspect I may have either outright stolen this idea, or perhaps it is a conGLOMeration of various ideas ....

I am envisioning a sort of Mystery Science Theater 3000 type thing (which I know has been mentioned before). In this case, after each TimeFrame, "selected"1 content from the OTT is shown and/or narrated (such as posts, ottifications, images, and general silliness). Ideally posts and other "spoken word" stuff would be narrated by the actual poster. In my mind, the OTT posts are narrated in a MST manner with the frame paused and possibly even MST-type shadows in place in the foreground. I also envision having molpy sightings highlighted with a mscha-like animated gif along with the accompanying OTT dialogue.

Oh, and the development of the "language" of the OTT would be included in the dialogue.

So, the video would include the OTT dialogue as intrinsic to the OTC experience. To make it super-seaish, we could include all Blitzer's signposting, but that might make the whole thing too seaish. However, I do like the idea of including BlitzGirl's Blitz process as part of the mayhem described above.

I say mayhem, but I don't actually envision mayhem. I envision a multidimensional experience that draws in the viewer in such a way that they get at least a little inkling of what it was like to be on the long, strange trip we all had.

Now, of course, I would also like to include my hattification in some way. Not sure how, but perhaps the MST shadows could gain hats or something? I don't actually see including screenshots of the OTT (for any posts, hats or otherwise), so I don't really see a good way to include my hats in a way that is consistent with my vision. Actually, I take that back -- I can see including image ottifications/manips and redundakitties. (I think mostly, my idea doesn't have a good way of including my hats. But that's ok.)

It would be even better as a multi-media "Performance Piece" actually, but I don't think that's realistic … because we are always realistic here on the OTT! Can't you see it! Selected1 portions of the OTT are in the foreground, kinda like Rocky Horror Picture Show (well ... ish), and the OTC is projected onto the background. Oooh! Ooooh! A sorta Waiting for Godot like stage (i.e. minimalist with the actors sorta clueless?). Anyway -- Hopefully you get the gist of what I'm trying to describe.

Oh, and BTW - this is a brainstorm, not a proposal so ... well ... please don't tell me all the nitpicky things that are problematic about my idea, just tell me if you can see what I'm envisioning! Thank you!

MWAH!
B

1 The "selection" process is TBD!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:21 am UTC

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:

To be fair, the iPad is an awful device for drawing (I have one), and the bulbous stylus designs that go with it are terrible when it comes to accuracy. But a decent graphics tablet to use with a computer, plus some practice, can give the old pencil-and-paper a run for its money. I don't know if I'd recommend it for the casual artist, since a good-quality tablet can be a couple hundred dollars, but if you're a hobbyist and you can see yourself doing a lot of digital drawing/painting, I'd go for it. And I'm ninja'd!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:23 am UTC

Lurk-up1 (NP 1315 to 1320) with the added attempt to re-create a Ch*rped lost post from yesterdip. I'm going to try to write this off-line, then post it. (Of course that will mean I'll have to sort through the typos-that-are-typos, the not-typos-that-are-OTTwords, and the typos-that-are-outside-words-but-I-want-the-OTTword....)
(However looking for back posts might be easier...) [Beware, sea-ish in nature with the possibility of tiny-river-ish content.]
----
Part the first is not any size of river-ish, but is very sea-ish.
lmjb1964 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
I've never felt like I've done anything worthy of being "knighted" for, so I've never asked. (Just like I never felt I was good enough one of buffygirl's hats.)
Any way, good luck with your journey in the Outside. Remember there's a spot near the fire with your name on it. We'll keep warm and brushed off, show up when you can....
MOLPY UP! BlitzGirl,, Molpy Up.

:) Oh?

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, pelrigg, the Knighthood Temporal (whether you like it or not), in recognition of the founding of the Beanish terminology, "You're a molpy!", and a warmly encouraging yet OTTerly humble soul! Molpy up, and continue Waiting for it!

Thanks for taking care of that, BlitzGirl. And I just want to add, pelrigg, that it's really funny to hear you say that you're surprised to be noticed, and that you don't feel worthy of hats or knighthood. To me, you're a member of the tribe. Why on earth would you think you would not be noticed? Silly pelrigg. (Although apparently I STILL want to write your name as "perlrigg." :) )

I, a most humble Timewaiter, accept from you BlitzGirl the First: Cardinal Tempus Viator, The Great Pilgrim of Time, The Most True Follower, Sister in Time (etc. etc. etc.); the honor of Knighthood Temporal. I will endeavor to uphold the Mighty Standards (ni, ni, ni, ...) that accompany this Most Exalted Position, and will not besmirch this Holy Order. I will Follow The Command of "..." and be perplexed when needed. I will follow the Command of "Run" and scurry as swiftly as warranted. And as always, I will follow the Great Command "Wait For It" even as we redefine what waiting is. I thank you, good lady, and Randall the Creator for this blessing.

To lmjb1964, thank you for your kind words. (I even got a little chocked up there.) Both you and BlitzGirl touched me greatly with your sentiments. (I could try to say why I'm getting maudlin, but that would be a gas-giant of an off-topic digression.)

----
re: The T-shirt wiki page.
I'm glad to see that because of my post that page is getting the updates it's been needing. (Someone said it hadn't been touched since last April?)
A suggestion using the K.I.S.S.2 principle: Could we put {u]all[/u] of the different ideas on just one page? Divided, of course, into T-shirts, Head Gear, Coffee Mugs, Mouse Pads, etc. (With possible sub-divisions.) Or would this get too sea-ish? Remember, the catalyst for my post was to give GLR a place to look for possible suggestions for the type of stuff we would buy, IF He decided to do such a thing.
I think my post was also what spawned the Creative Commons discussion. I don't wish to open that can-o-worms again, but since I had a small hand in starting it, just let me say two things: One; please "Wait For It" before making any type of physical item. Let Randall have a chance to ketchup on his comaing and to decide if He's going to put Time Stuff in the store. Two; if you can't wait, e-mail him and ask if your idea is okay. (Even if you're positive it is.) I think it would be the polite thing to do.

----
I've seen ottifications, "other" poems, OTT-poems, OTT-comics, sad musings, happy thoughts and an abundance of wonderment since NP1300. "I could stand up here all night and say thank you, thank you, thank you. I wish I could grab you man and just *kissy smacky noises*... one of them things, one of them scenes, ya know..."3 I do want to point to jjjdavidson's *sniffle*-inducing post. AluisioASG for his (& the OTT's first [??]) non-English ottifications. And to Hel-G for his Norwegian one.4 (I haven't tracked down the original yet, but I will.)
@lmjb1964: I'm listening to your new ottification, Beautiful singing.

----
I've seen many new posters. Welcome to the wowderfulness of it all. We've got cake and other goodies. Come join us by the fire. (Everybody that bites has had their shots.)
I've seen several New Blitzers take off into the Great Past. Good speed. Watch out for TVTropes links (those can be sea-ishsquared). Be sure to post (with page number). Folks will still be here to welcome you.

----
@Kieryn: Great ideas about the meet-ups. I like the skype thing too. It would be tree-ish to have them all going at the same time, with the ability for those who can't make it to be there, to join in at least in cyber-space. I'm sure details need to be worked out. Maybe three or four locations in the US, east coast, west coast, mid-American (Chicago and/or Denver...) This is what the first part of planning looks like....
Great to see you've updated your page. Could your new site have some descriptions both on the Home page about what each link is? I sometimes forget which page does what and will have to click around 'til I find the right page. Also, there are a couple of pages I have no real idea what they do. (Maybe some instructions?) Let me put it this way; I'm computer semi-literate.

---
Okay, let's see what NP this going to end up on....
(Heck, the sun molpied down while I was hunting-and-pecking this out.)
------

1 Lurk-up: doing a ketchup while lurking....
2 Keep It Simple Seymour5 (or other S-word variations)
3 "But dig... I just can't do that... So I'm gonna sacrifice something here that I really love... I don't think I'm going crazy... Last night though ..Oh, God..." (If you want to see my avatar in context, I double-dog dare you to click the link.)6
4 I'm particularly fond of Norske music. I'm a full-blooded third generation Norwegian-American. (At least one of my grandparents was born here to Norwegian immigrants, and the others came from Norge with their folks. (I like to tell those who will "get it": "This is how Norwegian I am. My mother was born in a little town in Minnesota....called Oslo.")
5 Is it sad that I had look up the spelling of this name on my "Little Shop" DVD? (The 1964 version... :mrgreen: )
6 (I don't know what language the on-screen comments are in. Anyone know what they say?) There's another link to the same footage, but the color is off and the sound isn't as good. (But no on-screen comments.)

Edit:
Not only did it end up on 1321, but I be Pope-ness.
Most of my decrees have been in the not followed category, but because I'm Pope I double-double-dog dare you to click the link. Now 'scuse me while I ketchup on last page.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:45 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:

To be fair, the iPad is an awful device for drawing (I have one), and the bulbous stylus designs that go with it are terrible when it comes to accuracy. But a decent graphics tablet to use with a computer, plus some practice, can give the old pencil-and-paper a run for its money. I don't know if I'd recommend it for the casual artist, since a good-quality tablet can be a couple hundred dollars, but if you're a hobbyist and you can see yourself doing a lot of digital drawing/painting, I'd go for it. And I'm ninja'd!

&Latent...

Really? I've never had the opportunity to try a decent graphics tablet of any kind... I'm surprised to hear they can be better than traditional physical drawing tools? In what ways does the graphics tablet win over real pencil/charcoal/paint etc etc etc?

ETA: Also, are we talking about surfaces that also display what you are drawing, or just input devices? If there is no display other than the actual screen, does that cause problems or is it easy to keep track of where you are?
Last edited by Kieryn on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:52 am UTC

Well, she's back....
And it looks like she doesn't know (yet) [Or isn't letting on she knows.]
buffygirl wrote:BLINDPOSTING from NP 1314

Ok, I admit it. I can't even do a short ketchup right now.

Instead, I'm going to address a few other things!

re: the OTVO - I will be working on the script. I also plan to submit voiceovers for LaPetite and Rosetta. For Rosetta, I think I'll try several different versions, because even if my voice isn't the right one, it will provide options and ideas for what IS the right match.

RE: PROJECTS
Ok .... I have a FABULOUS project idea, that I suspect is either subconsciously stolen from someone else, or else a conGLOMeration of various ideas presented here. But I'm going to just submit this post before I elaborate, cuz I wanna post and I haven't finished thinking it out. Psych!

MWAH!!

B

ETA: Like we need more projects..... :)

And she even has a second post with her interesting projects.
But it's time to ready the cake, ice cream, Hugs, and tissue for our dear buffygirl....

ETA:
@charlie_grumbles: your last three OTTcomics were :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (and let me add congrats on 900 posts)
@ucim I don't know if I said anything about your latest "Acts" chapter. (It might have gotten lost in my "lost post", if not; I ninja myself.) I think I'm running out of words of praise for this saga of yours. And a saga it is...
@AluisioASG: A great beginning for your tale of Rosetta and Amtoo (?) [Or did I miss a chapter?]
Last edited by pelrigg on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:56 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:BuffyGirl's Awesome Idea
ok, sorry .... just attention-seeking...

Spoiler:
Ok, so here's my idea. It's a(nother) video idea consistent with the whole goal of trying to somehow convey to others what the combined experience of the OTC and OTT was like. I suspect I may have either outright stolen this idea, or perhaps it is a conGLOMeration of various ideas ....

I am envisioning a sort of Mystery Science Theater 3000 type thing (which I know has been mentioned before). In this case, after each TimeFrame, "selected"1 content from the OTT is shown and/or narrated (such as posts, ottifications, images, and general silliness). Ideally posts and other "spoken word" stuff would be narrated by the actual poster. In my mind, the OTT posts are narrated in a MST manner with the frame paused and possibly even MST-type shadows in place in the foreground. I also envision having molpy sightings highlighted with a mscha-like animated gif along with the accompanying OTT dialogue.

Oh, and the development of the "language" of the OTT would be included in the dialogue.

So, the video would include the OTT dialogue as intrinsic to the OTC experience. To make it super-seaish, we could include all Blitzer's signposting, but that might make the whole thing too seaish. However, I do like the idea of including BlitzGirl's Blitz process as part of the mayhem described above.

I say mayhem, but I don't actually envision mayhem. I envision a multidimensional experience that draws in the viewer in such a way that they get at least a little inkling of what it was like to be on the long, strange trip we all had.

Now, of course, I would also like to include my hattification in some way. Not sure how, but perhaps the MST shadows could gain hats or something? I don't actually see including screenshots of the OTT (for any posts, hats or otherwise), so I don't really see a good way to include my hats in a way that is consistent with my vision. Actually, I take that back -- I can see including image ottifications/manips and redundakitties. (I think mostly, my idea doesn't have a good way of including my hats. But that's ok.)

It would be even better as a multi-media "Performance Piece" actually, but I don't think that's realistic … because we are always realistic here on the OTT! Can't you see it! Selected1 portions of the OTT are in the foreground, kinda like Rocky Horror Picture Show (well ... ish), and the OTC is projected onto the background. Oooh! Ooooh! A sorta Waiting for Godot like stage (i.e. minimalist with the actors sorta clueless?). Anyway -- Hopefully you get the gist of what I'm trying to describe.

Oh, and BTW - this is a brainstorm, not a proposal so ... well ... please don't tell me all the nitpicky things that are problematic about my idea, just tell me if you can see what I'm envisioning! Thank you!

MWAH!
B

1 The "selection" process is TBD!

This is a great idea! But I think you are overlooking a very simple way to do hats: like this!

RSIR (I pronounce that as "razor". I think I'm going to start putting "razor" here instead.):
Spoiler:
fe8d91332227e0894d22eda7aa469e33e25e12697e8d136fc2467594971230a0.png
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:58 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Well, she's back....

But the blindpost is from NP 1314. You'd have to be literally blind not to know about T** E** by then.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:05 am UTC

wizpretz wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Well, she's back....

But the blindpost is from NP 1314. You'd have to be literally blind not to know about T** E** by then.

Sorry I didn't see that.... :oops:

Did I also miss her post about returning? I'm sure I would have noticed her.

Edit
Oh, there it is... On NP 1309. And, gosh darn it, I do remember seeing it, now that I think of it. :oops: 100 I've been coma-deprived for a couple of dips now...
(That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

100 as in: a google* of :oops:
* as in: the math concept not the mega-corp.....
Last edited by pelrigg on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:11 am UTC

@buffygirl - That sounds like a very treeish idea. I'd envision a multi-screen presentation, because much of what goes on in the OTT is graphical in nature. That's where you could show your hats. Perhaps something like the control panel of the BlitzRocket, with four screens (set up with one showing the newpix, another showing selected newpages, another showing selected special images (such as the graphs and star charts of posts and quotes), and another for reference material relevant to that newpix.

@Kieryn - I'm looking forward to seeing the graphs of your NewData! Haven't had a chance to just yet, but it will be fun to see how things came together in the end.

@pelrigg - Yeah, I clicked the link. Treeish. Is the avatar from that video itself, or from a a different source (stills, for example). I didn't see an exact (except for background) match.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:21 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:100 as in: a google* of :oops:
That's spelled googol.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:24 am UTC

ucim wrote:@buffygirl - That sounds like a very treeish idea. I'd envision a multi-screen presentation, because much of what goes on in the OTT is graphical in nature. That's where you could show your hats. Perhaps something like the control panel of the BlitzRocket, with four screens (set up with one showing the newpix, another showing selected newpages, another showing selected special images (such as the graphs and star charts of posts and quotes), and another for reference material relevant to that newpix.

@Kieryn - I'm looking forward to seeing the graphs of your NewData! Haven't had a chance to just yet, but it will be fun to see how things came together in the end.

@pelrigg - Yeah, I clicked the link. Treeish. Is the avatar from that video itself, or from a a different source (stills, for example). I didn't see an exact (except for background) match.

Jose

I believe the angle is from a still photographer. And the background is my manip*, because the original background at that angle would have his Marshall stacks behind him. (The one he got "friendly" with.)
*I have the computer version of a game called "Cosmic Wimpout" which allows you put in custom 'boards'. The game needs a light backdrop, since the scoring info is only in black font and would be lost if I didn't do the manip.
----
And I see this will be an "interesting number" post. I'll be bach in a minuet.
-----

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:39 am UTC

Firstpost, np 1208

aVivaSedai wrote:Did you guys notice the roll-over text changed?! (Did I miss someone else's comment on that?)

Hi, aVivaSedai, welcome to de-lurkness! Yep, we noticed. :D
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:42 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
pelrigg wrote:100 as in: a google* of :oops:
That's spelled googol.

Geeezzzzz...... Now it's a Googolplex of :oops:.

And to jjjdavidson and ucim, I think.

I saw your posts about posting other places in the fora. I'll have to say I've done the same.

To tell one tale: one nip I managed a triple for posting. I had gotten the (Randall time) mid-nip ONG, then went to the site and saw the OtherComic was up. I then edited the link to into my ONG-post. (It was a slow nip.) I followed that up by going to the Comic Thread Index. Hmm....no new other comic thread. So I started one. And since it was my "frirst" time, I had the instructions opened in one tab, my post to create a new topic in another, the source code for the comic in the third (so I could get the alt-text correctly), and I'm franticly going back and forth between all three so I can do it right. Oh, and add a comment. (It's rather tiny-river-ish, 68 comments not even 2 pages. 1225 : "Ice Sheets" in case you want to know.)
So, to make a long story short (too late), I've not only posted in other threads, I created one.

Eternal Density

Many Untrue Threads

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:03 am UTC

I posted a lot before Time, but I've now posted more in the OTT. I've probably only made half a dozen posts elsewhere in the echochamber since Time began though.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

KayZ

ᕋᖗ ᘝᙉᖉᔭ ᘖᐣ ᖗᔭᐢ ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐤ

Postby KayZ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:34 am UTC

I have more than a hundred pages to ketchup, but still I'm throwing this forward into the future because it does not seem like it was recognized for what it seems to be: A pretty much perfect match for the beanish language. It's not mentioned in the Wiki and I could only find one other person who threw it forward but spoilered it. But it's to good to be spoilered. There are some minor differences but most of it matches.

Renil wrote:I've started transliterating beanish into a Canadian aboriginal syllabic.

ᔪᘊᖚᐧ ᘛᔭᐤ = d36' Ub?
ᔪᘝᓄᐧ = dAJ'
,ᔪ = ,d
ᒣᖉ = 7X
ᖊᐣᖽ = W'N
ᖽᘛᕋᐤ = NUq?
ᓭᘈ ᘊᒣᓭᐧᖊᔑ ᘝᘊᓭᒣᖊᐣᖗᐨ = 4M 374'WS A347W'9.
ᘊᖚᐧ ᘊᘖᑫᘖᒣᐣᖚ ᘡ ᓴᔅᐧ ᘊᖚ,ᕋᐨ = 36' 32g27'6 U 4"' 36g,q.
ᖚᑫᘖ ᓭᐧᖚ = 6g2 4'6
ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ = 42bJ.
ᖉ,ᑦᐦ = X,c!
ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐦ = 42bJ!
ᔪᖉᔭᑫ ᘊᖚᐧ ᘊᓭᐧᖚᐤ = dXbg 36' 34'6?
ᒼᖸᖽᐣ ᔭ = 'MN' b
ᘝᖽᒣ ᓭᘖᒼ ᖊᘊᐤ = AN7 42' W3?
ᕋᖗ ᘝᙉᖉᔭ ᘖᐣ ᖗᔭᐢ ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐤ = q9 AQXb 2' 9b, 342bJ?
ᖽᔑᐣᘖ ᖚᐧᘖᖗᑫ ᘝᐣᖽ ᘊᒣᒼᖽᘝᐨ = NS'2 6'29g A'N 37'NA.

Hopefully that renders for everyone.

pelrigg

Re: 1190: "Time" Delurk plus OTTification

Postby pelrigg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:35 am UTC

magma pixie wrote:Hi all! I've followed the OTC since I learned the frame was changing and I found the wonderful Book of Aubron to keep me up to date. I came to the OTT later, becoming a sporadic lurker, reading more with the puzzle of Rosetta's speeches, and even more so since the Voldeframe. This community is freaking amazing! I am in awe of the devotion and the creativity. I love love love OTColored, and that people have recorded some of the marvelous songs.

I don't think I've seen an OTTification to the Firefly theme, so here's a little contribution from me:

Meg and Cue, on the sand,
Building castles oh so grand
What's out there, they'll go see
You can't take the Time from me

They head out, take a pack,
Hope to bring some knowledge back
Walk the land and learn the sea

Found a place they can be
Since the rising of the sea
But you can't take the Time from me

Welcome to the OTT, magma pixie, looks like you'll fit in just fine around here. This browncoat thanks you for your Firefly based Ottification. I'm kinda suprized no ones done one before.

Also welcome gement to the party. I see that four of your posts made it out of mod-queue at one time on NP 1320. The reason your posts didn't appear was because all first posts need to be moderator approved before being posted. It had nothing to do with the length of your post. As for blitzing, feel free to post when the mood strikes you. It helps to add the page you're on to help put your comments in perspective. I'm also sure this thread won't be going any where soon. There should be folks here when you finish with your blitz.

------

Well, I must molpy down.
Spoiler:

Wait for our biltzers and our lost ones...
coma out...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:38 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
magma pixie wrote:Hi all! I've followed the OTC since I learned the frame was changing and I found the wonderful Book of Aubron to keep me up to date. I came to the OTT later, becoming a sporadic lurker, reading more with the puzzle of Rosetta's speeches, and even more so since the Voldeframe. This community is freaking amazing! I am in awe of the devotion and the creativity. I love love love OTColored, and that people have recorded some of the marvelous songs.

I don't think I've seen an OTTification to the Firefly theme, so here's a little contribution from me:

Meg and Cue, on the sand,
Building castles oh so grand
What's out there, they'll go see

They head out, take a pack,
Hope to bring some knowledge back
Walk the land and learn the sea

Found a place they can be
Since the rising of the sea
But you can't take the Time from me

Welcome to the OTT, magma pixie, looks like you'll fit in just fine around here. This browncoat thanks you for your Firefly based Ottification. I'm kinda suprized no ones done one before.
That's so good I had to requote it!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:45 am UTC

Now presenting: the xkcd 1190 Thread Members Map. Go, click on your location, click the marker, enter your info and upload! (Just look at it for now, the upload doesn't seem to be working yet; check my signature for updates.) Lurkers are welcome, just fill in a random username.

lmjb1964 wrote:Aluisio, I missed some of your story. Is the whole story stored somewhere?

Hmm, which one? End of Days? That was…

pelrigg wrote:@AluisioASG: A great beginning for your tale of Rosetta and Amtoo (?) [Or did I miss a chapter?]

Oh, got it. Yes, you both missed this chapter.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:55 am UTC

Hi all! (blind)Posting to say that I haven't disappeared, just have had limited internet access the last few weeks. I'm working on making a plausible phonetic transcription of Beanish...this hasn't been done already in the dozens of newpages I [heresy]skipped and plan to skim-ketchup later[/heresy], has it? I'm adhering as much as I can to Canadian aboriginal, but also trying to make it as easily pronounceable as possible. Hopefully I'll post it some time next week.

Molpy down!

Lost forever in time...

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:59 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:OK, so, here's the recording.
And here are the lyrics (Based on "On My Own" from Les Mis):
Spoiler:
And now it seems that Time will end, where will I go, where will I post to?
I'd be so lost to never have your avatars to say hello to
The alt-text says "The End," and I feel like I lost a friend.

Sometimes I'd get online at night when everybody else was sleeping.
I'd read each post and be so happy with the company I'm keeping.
So if the end is here, I hope you all will still stay near.

On my own, is how I first discovered you
Saw that frame, but didn't understand it
Found the forum, and hoped to find some answers
Instead I found this beautiful community of strangers

On the thread, your posts would shine like silver
And my joy was like the sea and not the river.
On each NewPage, found endless awe and laughter
And so I hoped that all of this would carry on forever.

And it's true I knew deep down inside
That one day The One True Comic had to end.
Now it's here, this truth that I denied.
Still I say I will wait for it.

I love you, and now that Time is over
We're not gone, we may stay here forever.
Without Time, this thread may see some changes,
But now of that will matter now that we are friends, not strangers.

I love you, and ever day I'm learning
What a precious gift I have been given
Without you, my world would have been poorer.
This thread is full of awesomeness I never would have known.

I love you
I love you
I waited, but never on my own.

I... *gulp*... no words. That made me very happy, and also very sad. After hearing it, my boyfriend said "I was never emotionally attached to the thread, but that made me tear up". *standing ovation*

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:05 am UTC

My my my! I thought perhaps it might be easier to keep up, after the you-know-what, but here I am frantically trying to keep pace - ketchup all over the place!

You have certainly been on a role lately Mr. Grumbles! Between you, HES, and Whizbang, for the past three dips I have been grinning from ear to ear. My face is rather sore, actually. And then of course there are the songs and poems. My head is spinning! I am finding that lately I am pressed for Time time, and so unable to quote every wowterful thing on the OTT which I would like. Needless to say, (though I shall say it anyway) I love the whole thread!

I have decided to put more time and effort into a person project of mine, which is unrelated to the OTC or OTT. However, I would like it to be known that it has been the immense creativity of all you wonderful OTTers here that has inspired me to really increase my own efforts achieve a creative goal I have long thought about. So again, my sincere thanks to you all, just for being here and doing what we all love to do - which is often times very weird and strange and silly, and sometimes maybe just a little disturbing :mrgreen:

By the way, @lmjb1964 beautiful!!! And when I tried to download the file, I was disheartened that I could not play m4a files. But then I saw Yappobiscuits' mp3 file and exclaimed "Woot! Yappobiscuits to the rescue!" To which my wife promptly replied, "If I had a nickel every time I heard that...well, I'd have a nickel."
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:31 am UTC

Firstposts, np 1214:
artem wrote:Yes indeed as reported by Anna-X there was grey castle frame visible on the comic page at around 1:52 AM PST. The hash is 33d0e5f8d8122290b90010c5be4d10bd6d3f5292113a83d8cb4d04ed1620a1a6.png - looks like it's still on the server, and it's not listed on xkcd.mscha.org FWIW
(That is just weird, especially coming so soon after the random-ish black frame.)

Roneci wrote:They are going to sail away on the platform they built for their sandcastle. The boy's cousin is currently captaining said vessel. They built their own ark without realizing it.
and 1215
rdm_box wrote:And that's definitely the sandcastle platform thingy.

And that's surreal. Holy molpy, it's just... Wow.

Hello, artem, Roneci, and rdm_box, welcome to the OTT! You picked great pages to de-lurk on! :D
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

jowo

Postby jowo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:17 am UTC

Throwing forward a firstpost from a couple pages back (his second post is identical, I think):

tresoldi wrote:I hadn't read the OTT today, and I guess I have to present myself.

I am Tiago, the author of the Beanish language blog (by the way, it's great to have a domain pointing to it), and I am user Tresoldi in Wikipedia, just like someone guessed.
I am really glad you liked what I did, but as someone posted here I am just developing on the work found on Wikia. I am not a professional linguist, but have studied historical linguistics both in Brazil and in Italy; my "true" fields, however, are computational linguistics and especially literature (which is my "truest" field).

I really didn't want to be a mysterious blogger, just fired up Wordpress and started working without any great plans. I didn't write here (well, five minutes ago I wasn't even registered yet) because it sounded to spammy. Do you think it is better for me to post here? The discussion would probably be easier...

M32 to you all= :)

I was 95% sure it was you; the interests matched what you were saying and it appears you're fluent in at least three languages. You left plenty of clues, & I didn't really think you were being deliberately anonymous. I was just curious if you were already one of the regulars here, as you're clearly somewhat familiar with the OTT. I concluded you weren't registered, but don't hold that against you (or anyone).

Welcome! I'll let someone else address your question; I'll read you either or both places.
It's about Time....

Eternal Density

Related?

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:21 am UTC

If I had a quarter for every time I had a nickel, I'd have six times as much theoretical American money.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:23 am UTC

A question for the map people: by how much the level of the Atlantic would have to rise, compared to today's, so that the Chateau d'If became completely submersed (the fortress, not the island)?
Also, assuming the 40s have reached Barcelona, would they be safe?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

magma pixie

Postby magma pixie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:33 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:

Thanks for the welcome, pelrigg! It's a mighty fine shindig. :D

Eternal Density wrote:

Aww, thanks! Glad you like it!

@lmjb1964: Goosebumps!

Mol... I can't post a molpy yet, so imagine, if you will, a little baby elephant comaing.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:14 am UTC

magma pixie wrote:
pelrigg wrote:

Thanks for the welcome, pelrigg! It's a mighty fine shindig. :D

Eternal Density wrote:

Aww, thanks! Glad you like it!

@lmjb1964: Goosebumps!

Mol... I can't post a molpy yet, so imagine, if you will, a little baby elephant comaing.
You're welcome, and imagine no longer:
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:33 am UTC

During a day spent in this "fucking shithole", Brugge (description taken from a fantastic film "In Bruges", not my opinion) I came across this Outsider image
Spoiler:

Image holder
Spoiler:
image.jpg
Beanie
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Eternal Density

Maybe StormAngel does.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:44 am UTC

My sister made a beanie but I don't have any pics yet.

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:50 am UTC

tresoldi wrote:I hadn't read the OTT today, and I guess I have to present myself.

I am Tiago, the author of the Beanish language blog (by the way, it's great to have a domain pointing to it), and I am user Tresoldi in Wikipedia, just like someone guessed.
I am really glad you liked what I did, but as someone posted here I am just developing on the work found on Wikia. I am not a professional linguist, but have studied historical linguistics both in Brazil and in Italy; my "true" fields, however, are computational linguistics and especially literature (which is my "truest" field).

I really didn't want to be a mysterious blogger, just fired up Wordpress and started working without any great plans. I didn't write here (well, five minutes ago I wasn't even registered yet) because it sounded to spammy. Do you think it is better for me to post here? The discussion would probably be easier...

M32 to you all= :)

Oh... You're a computational linguist. That's kind of... awkward.1
Very neat stuff on your blog. I'm really interested to see what you can make of it.

1http://xkcd.com/114/ if you didn't get the reference.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:10 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:

Wow... I was afraid that might happen to them. So, the black-out was actually night, once again?

Yes, I think so.

Hmmm, when I did "copy image url" I didn't get this url, I got time.png. I was worried that if I put that image in, it would change each time the comic frame updated. Do I have to do something different to get the right url, now that the auto updating is working differently?

ETA: If I open the picture in a new tab, I get the complicated url, but I get the "time.png" one when I copy image url from the main comic tab, and it worked fine when I pasted it in here trying to put up the new image. MIght be something to be careful of in the future.

{P1174}
This is funny. It's like coming across a genuine 'hey guys, have you seen the JavaScript?'. Thanks, B2b :) . I imagine someone's sorted you out by now.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:25 am UTC

Othercomic alert:
http://www.xkcd.com/1246/

Spoiler:
If those guys had an mscha, they'd know which pale blue dot it was.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Eternal Density

Note: don't quote posts with actual spoilers until after...

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:32 am UTC

ggh wrote:Othercomic alert:
http://www.xkcd.com/1246/

Spoiler:
If those guys had an mscha, they'd know which pale blue dot it was.

Thanks, I'd forget otherwise.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:34 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:*runs out of the room in embarrassment*

Edited to hopefully put in a link you can actually open!

Actually, that was pretty neat.

Ronald

PS: Sure, I could add some pointers to breathing techniques and the like, but that's more on the performance level. Feeling always wins over technique.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:44 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:

&Latent...

Really? I've never had the opportunity to try a decent graphics tablet of any kind... I'm surprised to hear they can be better than traditional physical drawing tools? In what ways does the graphics tablet win over real pencil/charcoal/paint etc etc etc?
Spoiler:
ETA: Also, are we talking about surfaces that also display what you are drawing, or just input devices? If there is no display other than the actual screen, does that cause problems or is it easy to keep track of where you are?

A Wacom or equivalent gives a lot of possibilities that pen and paper doesn't, and has a lot of disadvantages that pen and paper doesn't have. I am not able to draw myself, but I have used a Wacom in a few places to photoshop or Gimpcake. Thus I do not know all the advantages and disadvantages, but I'l give it a shot.
Advantages:
1. You can program different things on it, like different colors whether the side button on the pen is pressed or not. Makes for quick and natural changes.
2. You can set things to the pressure level, things like:
a. Harder pressing means a bigger brush
b. Harder pressing means lower transparency
c. Harder pressing means a brush that fades less at the edges
and a lot more. This means you can control these things quite naturally.
3. Since you are working on a computer, saving is easy. A cup of coffee over your keyboard is an irritation, but a cup of coffee can destroy a pen and paper work. Wacom tablets and pens seem to be quite splashproof. The tablet is lifted a few mm off the ground by feet and there are no seams on the top. I haven't tried that feature yet.
4. When I last worked with cheap consumer grade scanners they usually didn't work. Scanners are frustrating things, although they may have been improved greatly.

Disadvantages:
1. Price. Depending on what you want a Wacom costs EUR 50 to EUR 2500. Pen and paper beats that any day of the week.
2. The line you draw doesn't appear on the surface you draw on. This wasn't a problem for me because I wasn't all that used to drawing pen and paper and it was far more natural than the mousework I did before.

Other musings:
A Wacom tablet has an extremely high sensor resolution. Far more than usual HD screens (5080 DPI and a couple of inches by a couple of inches makes for an incredible resolution). An Ipad has enough sensor resolution to detect where your finger is. You don't need a high resolution for that.
Thus drawing on an Ipad is probably far different than drawing on a Wacom.
Back when I had the time to work with my Wacom, the Gimp was far better with a Wacom than Photoshop, although a Wacom under Linux was difficult to get working. This probably changed a lot since then. Back then the pressure level of the Wacom didn't affect a thing in Photoshop, but it worked marvelously in the Gimp by default. Theoretically the Gimp could handle a mouse with pressure levels, although I don't think those ever existed.

cakeThings like modifying a Terminator picture to the face of a friend of mine. Schwarzenegger with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing became my friend with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing. Fun, although time consuming to do properly. I believe more than 40 hours of work followed by a harsh lesson in backing up, by means of a harddisk crash. Auwtch.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”