1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hel-G

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Hel-G » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:53 am UTC

@pelrigg: I couldn't post links at the time, but now I can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daMQh9ixa5s.

@KayZ(and everyone interested in Beanish): The quoted post contained only the standard transcription for me, but that could just be the phone I'm using. The OtherWiki article on Canadian Aboriginal Syllabaries seemed to miss some content too. If GLR has used an existing script we could establish what Beanish sounds like. That would be a huge step forward. I'm on a (sail)BOAT for the next week and I can only access the Internet on my mobile phone, so I'm a bit limited. (My prediction for the future: smartphones won't replace laptops any time soon.)

@tresoldi: Nice to see you here! [heresy]As wowterful as the OTT is, it might not be the perfect place for longer discussions on Beanish.[/heresy] Your blog or a wiki (of which there is only One True) would probably be better. Important results would be reported here, of course.

OT (is that even possible in the OTT?): Sails up, engine cut, doing 5 knots (what's that in cues per newpix?), wife's at the helm so that I can finish my post. Perfectly alright!

Edit: Wow! Pagepope. Neat! Decree: I want seaish1 seaish2 OTTifications!

1: Yes, seaish.
2: Not seaish, but seaish!
Last edited by Hel-G on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:07 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:1. Price. Depending on what you want a Wacom costs EUR 50 to EUR 2500. Pen and paper beats that any day of the week.
2. The line you draw doesn't appear on the surface you draw on. This wasn't a problem for me because I wasn't all that used to drawing pen and paper and it was far more natural than the mousework I did before.

Other musings:
A Wacom tablet has an extremely high sensor resolution. Far more than usual HD screens (5080 DPI and a couple of inches by a couple of inches makes for an incredible resolution). An Ipad has enough sensor resolution to detect where your finger is. You don't need a high resolution for that.
Thus drawing on an Ipad is probably far different than drawing on a Wacom.
Back when I had the time to work with my Wacom, the Gimp was far better with a Wacom than Photoshop, although a Wacom under Linux was difficult to get working. This probably changed a lot since then. Back then the pressure level of the Wacom didn't affect a thing in Photoshop, but it worked marvelously in the Gimp by default. Theoretically the Gimp could handle a mouse with pressure levels, although I don't think those ever existed.

Gotta add some thoughts here:
There are two main obstacles when working with a tablet.
The first really can't be helped, but needs some time to adjust to. As Neil said, at first it is awkward for the strokes to show up on a different surface than you draw on.
The second is a matter of size. This is why I did not recommend one of the very cheap tablets. It's not only that the drawing surface is different, but also the size of the drawing is different. So with a rather small tablet and a decent sized monitor, you've got a problem. The ideal would ba a surface area excactly the size of the monitor. This is not feasable (at least not with the money we are talking about here). But in my experience anything better than 1:4 works rather well.

Being a Linux only guy (at least at home) I can say that the Wacom works beautifully with the new distros (I use Ubuntu). Both The Gimp and Inkscape have no issues with my Wacom Intuos 4.

On other news: I already said I don't like FB and will not get an account there. On the other hand, I somewhat reluctantly adopted G+ (peer pressure can be a rather insistent thing). So if there is any interest to have a safeline for the community there as well, just let me know and I will PM my account there (don't want to have it scrapeable here).

I will try to update my statistics, but this posting by cameroda is really badly broken and can't be fixed automagically (nope I just use tidy for this, not real magic, but it comes close), so I have to do some manual cleanup. If cameroda reads this: Please fix.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1190

Postby azule » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:08 am UTC

Finally reached [special comic number]!! I'm almost at [next "round" number]...but nowhere near [current page number]. :x This is hard.

The hard thing is really that I don't know how much of Time is over with. Right now the OTC is skipping frames like they're half off! It worries me that the pages aren't increasing like they were a few days ago... What does that mean? (Same question as asked when they were increasing like crazy.)

Now back to my ketchup and blind-posting. At least, I think it's ketchup...*wishes he could see* (Philosophical aside: if one never ketchups is it not ketchup that they are consuming?)

HES wrote:Alas, the hamply has move on to a new home. All I have left is my avatar :(
He's not dead, but I'm moving and can't take him

Aww, your mascot! :( I hope you get visitation rights.

P.S. The server was down, with a 504 and 503 error. "No server found" was a very scary thing to read!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Ace

Postby Ace » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:23 am UTC

On the subject of tablets: I just have a dinky little Wacom Bamboo, tiny tablet, no screen. Basic bargain tablet. Around the time I was looking into getting a tablet, several webcomic artists posted recommendations to start out cheap, because that's all the average user really needs, and it's a lower price of entry. I've also had this thing for several years now, since August 2008 maybe? Possibly August 2007. (It was a birthday present.)

I do want one with a screen in it, but this one suffices. I can't even begin to afford the one I really want, the $3000 Cintiq. Well, $2,999. (AUD)

I also have a father who is both an artist and technically 'unskilled', shall we say.

This is what he drew with my tablet the first time he tried it:
Seaish version: Click

Even with the disconnect of drawing here, and seeing the lines appear over there, and unfamiliarity with the graphics program, he managed to draw a Viking, and make it actually look like a Viking. On the cheapest Wacom around. A tablet is no substitute for skill, but if you have the skill, any tablet will do.

Redundant spoiler.
Spoiler:
tablet-viking.png
Wait for it.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:55 am UTC

RothkONG
(np1214 + No.8)
Spoiler:
rothko.jpg

highwater

Postby highwater » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:14 am UTC

(P1292)

Holy Ch*rp! I don't have enough burgers for all this ketchup! I'm still at stage I.IV (denial with a pinch of depression), so I've got an othercomic-related prediction: the discussion of mustard somehow annoyed The GLR, so He decided that rather than let us Wait for it..., He'd made us RUN.... Thus ended Time, early.

Pessimistic predictions are good luck, right?

Just in case they aren't, alternate prediction: "Time, part II" will eventually be revealed when we have solved the puzzles already placed before us, and we are once again ready to Wait for it.... Thus resumepeats Time, at a higher difficulty.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:28 am UTC

So many nice comments about my recording, thank you! It really means a lot to me, especially since I knew it wasn't really a great take. (rvloon, I do know about proper breathing and have taken voice lessons, but like anything else it needs to be practiced. :) I just haven't been singing much lately.)(Not that I wouldn't have more to learn!) Jose, I loved your line that there are no words for it, even in Beanish. Taixzo, it is a good production of Les Mis, but I'm not singing in it, just hitting things. And ggh remembered what lmjb stood for. :D There were so many other wonderful comments, and I was really touched by them. And I really meant what the lyrics said!

Other stuff--so much stuff!
Great manips from charlie and ximenez.

tresoldi reveals himself as our mystery linguist. The blog might be a good place to sort things out, but if you could post updates here as well, that would be awesomeful.

Great ottifications from magma pixie (welcome!) and dawnfire.

Welcome, gement

pelrigg, checked out that wowterful Hendrix video. No idea what that language :? is either.

Caught up on Acts of the Clerics. Wowterful and awesomeful as always. Aluisio, I was confused--I was thinking of your other story, which I did read. :oops: Can't wait to see more of this one.

And buffygirl, I want to re-read your idea to get all the points you brought up, and I have no idea how any of that could be done, but it sounds like a treeish (and seaish) and exciting project.

I think there was other stuff, but I had some trouble with my browser and lost some quotes. Plus it's 3:20 a.m.H and I really should be a-coma. So, molpy down!
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
No kitties. What, the baby mouse isn't enough?
I used to have a little mouse just like this.
cute-animals-baby-mouse-sleeping-hand-pics.jpeg

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:30 am UTC

Did mscha's supply of newpix dry up?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:39 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I should've molpied down some time ago, but I ended up staying up to write the music to BlitzGirl's poem instead, while the idea was fresh in my head... but I've finished that now, so molpy down time.

Which one?

Cause I may or may not be doing something similar.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:05 am UTC

Hmm, I hope I can have a nopix without the straight jacket todip. Typing with my nose is difficult.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:12 am UTC

Molpy up!

Not much to say this mornix. The OtherComic very much made me smile, though. I have that full quote, as well as the Pale Blue Dot picture, on my desk wall. It is something I often read and contemplate, as a kind of reminder. Also, my current desktop is the newest "Pal Blue Dot" photo, recently taken by Cassini. (On a sadder note, I once had a co-worker who noticed the picture and quote posted on my desk wall, and after reading it stated, "I don't get it.")

Welcome de-lurkers! Always good to see more joining us. It is especially nice to have Tresoldi in our midst, now. Welcome!!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:13 am UTC

On graphics tablets. (Was going to post this as part of my ketchup but then realized how absurdly seaish it was. Regular ketchup to follow.)
Seaish quote blocks:
Spoiler:
Sciscitor wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Also if you already are good at drawing on paper then you will want to get a cheap drawing tablet of some kind so you don't have to try and teach yourself to draw with a mouse which is a lot harder.

I tend to disagree. I dabbled a bit with creating graphics on the pc (well I dabbled with almost anything on the pc), but made the mistake to buy a cheap drawing tablet. Though a lot - a seaish lot - better than the mouse it is still really limiting. I finally bought a not so cheap wacom intuos, which i really can recommend. Don't get the smallest one. The medium ones are great, the biggest ones don't deliver as much bang per buck (except you really need that size [twss]).

I tried using a stylus with an iPad once and found it terrible. From my experience, nothing beats a good old pencil and paper. If you want to digitize it, just photo or scan it and then you can start doing the CG effects.

To be fair, the iPad is an awful device for drawing (I have one), and the bulbous stylus designs that go with it are terrible when it comes to accuracy. But a decent graphics tablet to use with a computer, plus some practice, can give the old pencil-and-paper a run for its money. I don't know if I'd recommend it for the casual artist, since a good-quality tablet can be a couple hundred dollars, but if you're a hobbyist and you can see yourself doing a lot of digital drawing/painting, I'd go for it. And I'm ninja'd!

&Latent...
Really? I've never had the opportunity to try a decent graphics tablet of any kind... I'm surprised to hear they can be better than traditional physical drawing tools? In what ways does the graphics tablet win over real pencil/charcoal/paint etc etc etc?
ETA: Also, are we talking about surfaces that also display what you are drawing, or just input devices? If there is no display other than the actual screen, does that cause problems or is it easy to keep track of where you are?

A Wacom or equivalent gives a lot of possibilities that pen and paper doesn't, and has a lot of disadvantages that pen and paper doesn't have. I am not able to draw myself, but I have used a Wacom in a few places to photoshop or Gimpcake. Thus I do not know all the advantages and disadvantages, but I'l give it a shot.
Advantages:
1. You can program different things on it, like different colors whether the side button on the pen is pressed or not. Makes for quick and natural changes.
2. You can set things to the pressure level, things like:
a. Harder pressing means a bigger brush
b. Harder pressing means lower transparency
c. Harder pressing means a brush that fades less at the edges
and a lot more. This means you can control these things quite naturally.
3. Since you are working on a computer, saving is easy. A cup of coffee over your keyboard is an irritation, but a cup of coffee can destroy a pen and paper work. Wacom tablets and pens seem to be quite splashproof. The tablet is lifted a few mm off the ground by feet and there are no seams on the top. I haven't tried that feature yet.
4. When I last worked with cheap consumer grade scanners they usually didn't work. Scanners are frustrating things, although they may have been improved greatly.

Disadvantages:
1. Price. Depending on what you want a Wacom costs EUR 50 to EUR 2500. Pen and paper beats that any day of the week.
2. The line you draw doesn't appear on the surface you draw on. This wasn't a problem for me because I wasn't all that used to drawing pen and paper and it was far more natural than the mousework I did before.

Other musings:
A Wacom tablet has an extremely high sensor resolution. Far more than usual HD screens (5080 DPI and a couple of inches by a couple of inches makes for an incredible resolution). An Ipad has enough sensor resolution to detect where your finger is. You don't need a high resolution for that.
Back when I had the time to work with my Wacom, the Gimp was far better with a Wacom than Photoshop, although a Wacom under Linux was difficult to get working. This probably changed a lot since then. Back then the pressure level of the Wacom didn't affect a thing in Photoshop, but it worked marvelously in the Gimp by default. Theoretically the Gimp could handle a mouse with pressure levels, although I don't think those ever existed.

cakeThings like modifying a Terminator picture to the face of a friend of mine. Schwarzenegger with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing became my friend with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing. Fun, although time consuming to do properly. I believe more than 40 hours of work followed by a harsh lesson in backing up, by means of a harddisk crash. Auwtch.

The first really can't be helped, but needs some time to adjust to. As Neil said, at first it is awkward for the strokes to show up on a different surface than you draw on.
The second is a matter of size. This is why I did not recommend one of the very cheap tablets. It's not only that the drawing surface is different, but also the size of the drawing is different. So with a rather small tablet and a decent sized monitor, you've got a problem. The ideal would ba a surface area excactly the size of the monitor. This is not feasable (at least not with the money we are talking about here). But in my experience anything better than 1:4 works rather well.

Being a Linux only guy (at least at home) I can say that the Wacom works beautifully with the new distros (I use Ubuntu). Both The Gimp and Inkscape have no issues with my Wacom Intuos 4.

Ace wrote:On the subject of tablets: I just have a dinky little Wacom Bamboo, tiny tablet, no screen. Basic bargain tablet. Around the time I was looking into getting a tablet, several webcomic artists posted recommendations to start out cheap, because that's all the average user really needs, and it's a lower price of entry. I've also had this thing for several years now, since August 2008 maybe? Possibly August 2007. (It was a birthday present.)

I do want one with a screen in it, but this one suffices. I can't even begin to afford the one I really want, the $3000 Cintiq. Well, $2,999. (AUD)

I also have a father who is both an artist and technically 'unskilled', shall we say.

Even with the disconnect of drawing here, and seeing the lines appear over there, and unfamiliarity with the graphics program, he managed to draw a Viking, and make it actually look like a Viking. On the cheapest Wacom around. A tablet is no substitute for skill, but if you have the skill, any tablet will do.

A graphics tablet is good for media that is not only created digitally, but consumed digitally, like a webcomic or fanart. I do know many people that still like to rough-sketch their concept on pencil-and-paper first, then digitize that and refine it using their pen tablets later (I do this myself on occasion). But as I've grown used to tablet-drawing, I view this more and more as an additional step in the process that I try to skip as often as possible.

My own tablet story: I first started making digital art around 2006 or so, strictly hobbyist. My first tablet was a Wacom 4x6" tablet (I believe it was of their Graphire 4 series; they don't make these anymore). I used it with my parents' home PC, my laptop, and the Macs used by my school. It was a good little tablet and actually still works - I have it stashed in my electronics drawer right now. The key word, though, is "little." 4x6 is very small, and reduces your input to the size of a large index card.

In 2008 I upgraded to a Wacom Bamboo Fun with drawing area of 6x8", and noticed the improvement immediately. Less wrist strain, cleaner lines, etc. This was also a good graphics tablet, and I still have it as well. However, it met with a horrific moving accident in late 2011, and gained several etches on its surface. It's still workable, but inconvenient to use. I replaced it with the current Bamboo Create model, also 6x8" drawing area, which I am very happy with. This is what I used to make the Boom de Yadas and OTColored frames. It also has touch capabilities, but I usually have these turned off, preferring to use it just for the pen. If I'm not using it for the pen, I'm using it as a mousepad with my regular mouse.

The three tablets I've had, oldest first:
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
I've actually become so used to graphics tablets that when touchscreen-computer tablets first became popular, I was weirded out by them. (You mean you touch them with your hands? Your germy, germy hands? Ewww...smearing sludge all over the screen...ewww...) I have a couple-generations old iPad that is just a bear to draw on compared to my Wacom. Because I'm still just a hobbyist, I haven't really felt the need to upgrade to even a Wacom Intuos, the next step up in terms of pen tablets. A screen tablet like a Cintiq would be amazing, but it's fifteen times what I paid for the Bamboo. Right now in terms of tablets I'm still a happy molpy.

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:44 am UTC

PlayONG with his shadow.
(np1686)

Spoiler:
1686.png
Last edited by Ximenez on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

BlitzGirl

Ketchup glug glug glug

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

@Ximenez: Yay! Cueball sees his shadow! Does that mean six more wips of newpix? :D
@dawnfire: Treeish "We Must Be Strong" and "One True Thread" ottifications!
@magma pixie: Welcome and thanks for the Firefly ottification!

Kieryn wrote:Image

Image Yay! Thanks, Kieryn! I missed having newdata! The smileys page is full of grouphugs now! Image
mscha will be happy - I finally overtook him on the Credits list. And it looks like the End of Time had the most posts in a single dip for the first time since the newpix changed to longpix.

Ximenez wrote:
HES wrote:nopix

<snip> (Even sad as it is, "nopix" seems an excellent replacement for "newpix" after Th* *nd.)
ETA: Found this in np171 (March 30):
Opiboble wrote:
Valarya wrote:be it a longpix or a nopix? be it even CHANGING?! Panic be setting in.

It is not a nopix, that will be the day that there are no more pix at all.

I think "nopix" is a good way to measure our Time (or lack thereof) now...will definitely be using this...even though it makes me sad...

nsub1 wrote:
Spoiler:
This OTThercomic takes on another meaning if you see Cueball as an author-insertion persona.

Wowterful! It does! Image

mscha wrote:The epilogue sequence...
If we name the 5 final newpix after the frame-that-shan't-be-mentioned A through E, then the hourly (oldpixly?) sequence of frames after that is now:
    CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBA
    DB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDABAB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDAB
    ED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCE
We've had two 24-hour cycles (colored blue and green), it's too early to tell whether we're in a third one now.
No idea what's up with this... Perhaps every time the GLR finds out we figured out the pattern, He changes it?

Perhaps GLR just waits until a poem is made with the new 24-nopix rhyme scheme, then changes it after that. :wink:

lmjb1964 wrote:BlitzGirl, is "Rest with Me Here" an original poem? It's beautiful!

Thank you! Yes, it's an original poem, using the second epilogue cycle rhyme scheme.

Kazza3 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I should've molpied down some time ago, but I ended up staying up to write the music to BlitzGirl's poem instead, while the idea was fresh in my head... but I've finished that now, so molpy down time.

Which one?

Cause I may or may not be doing something similar.
You xuys are awesomeful! (Just wanted to tell you that.) Image

Hel-G wrote:OMR, the great BlitzGirl herself has created a picture based on my OTTification! I'm honoured! You seem to have figured it out for yourself, but my translation wasn't entirely correct. "Herren Randall" means "The Lord Randall" (definite articles are postfixed in Norwegian1814) so it is quite correct to add "great". "Den store Herre Randall"1905 was simply too long to be singable, but I didn't want to commit heresy by omitting "great".

You're welcome! I took a few years of German classes, so Norwegian usually looks vaguely familiar to me, even if I can't always puzzle it out. :)

pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
pelrigg wrote:I've never felt like I've done anything worthy of being "knighted" for, so I've never asked. (Just like I never felt I was good enough one of buffygirl's hats.)
Any way, good luck with your journey in the Outside. Remember there's a spot near the fire with your name on it. We'll keep warm and brushed off, show up when you can....
MOLPY UP! BlitzGirl,, Molpy Up.

:) Oh?

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, pelrigg, the Knighthood Temporal (whether you like it or not), in recognition of the founding of the Beanish terminology, "You're a molpy!", and a warmly encouraging yet OTTerly humble soul! Molpy up, and continue Waiting for it!

Thanks for taking care of that, BlitzGirl. And I just want to add, pelrigg, that it's really funny to hear you say that you're surprised to be noticed, and that you don't feel worthy of hats or knighthood. To me, you're a member of the tribe. Why on earth would you think you would not be noticed? Silly pelrigg. (Although apparently I STILL want to write your name as "perlrigg." :) )
I, a most humble Timewaiter, accept from you BlitzGirl the First: Cardinal Tempus Viator, The Great Pilgrim of Time, The Most True Follower, Sister in Time (etc. etc. etc.); the honor of Knighthood Temporal. I will endeavor to uphold the Mighty Standards (ni, ni, ni, ...) that accompany this Most Exalted Position, and will not besmirch this Holy Order. I will Follow The Command of "..." and be perplexed when needed. I will follow the Command of "Run" and scurry as swiftly as warranted. And as always, I will follow the Great Command "Wait For It" even as we redefine what waiting is. I thank you, good lady, and Randall the Creator for this blessing.
To lmjb1964, thank you for your kind words. (I even got a little chocked up there.) Both you and BlitzGirl touched me greatly with your sentiments. (I could try to say why I'm getting maudlin, but that would be a gas-giant of an off-topic digression.)
A salute to Sir Pelrigg! Image

lmjb1964 wrote:OK, so, here's the recording.
And here are the lyrics (Based on "On My Own" from Les Mis):
Spoiler:
And now it seems that Time will end, where will I go, where will I post to?
I'd be so lost to never have your avatars to say hello to
The alt-text says "The End," and I feel like I lost a friend.

Sometimes I'd get online at night when everybody else was sleeping.
I'd read each post and be so happy with the company I'm keeping.
So if the end is here, I hope you all will still stay near.

On my own, is how I first discovered you
Saw that frame, but didn't understand it
Found the forum, and hoped to find some answers
Instead I found this beautiful community of strangers

On the thread, your posts would shine like silver
And my joy was like the sea and not the river.
On each NewPage, found endless awe and laughter
And so I hoped that all of this would carry on forever.

And it's true I knew deep down inside
That one day The One True Comic had to end.
Now it's here, this truth that I denied.
Still I say I will wait for it.

I love you, and now that Time is over
We're not gone, we may stay here forever.
Without Time, this thread may see some changes,
But now of that will matter now that we are friends, not strangers.

I love you, and ever day I'm learning
What a precious gift I have been given
Without you, my world would have been poorer.
This thread is full of awesomeness I never would have known.

I love you
I love you
I waited, but never on my own.

That is so lovely, lmjb! Image Wow! Your voice is beautiful. :D And the ottification is awesomeful!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BlitzGirl

It definitely isn't.

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

OTTification for PagePope (it's an OTTercomic):

Redundant:
Spoiler:

ItsNotPretty.png

Keywords: OTTer cut off newpix supply it isn't pretty not at all BGUM OTTercomic xkcd ottification experiment
redundant77.png
redundant77.png (70.99 KiB) Viewed 16751 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Re: a meetup. I called for this mips ago, and would totally be down. I think it makes sense to go with the date Kieryn suggested; we'd probably want to do it on the anniversary of either the start or end of Time, and more people are probably free in July. (Although some folks might have spring break in March.)

...or September! 8-)

If there's to be a meetup in Marseille/Chateau d'If I'd consider making the trip (but I better start saving now!) Or Cape Town. Or Madagascar.

But if meetups are going to be organised on Facebook, then,...sniff... goodbye - I'm not on FB and never will be, so won't know about it. Pretty sure I'm not the only one...

lmjb1964 wrote:There was that map--Kieryn, did you put that up?--that showed where all the TimeWaiters were.

Maybe this is somewhere in my future (blindposting from about 4 NP back) - would so love to see it!
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

(np4. Added parts of three photos I took in Uruguay. For kind-of-seaish version, see the spoiler.)

Spoiler:
Seaish:
4s.png

Riverish:
4r.png

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

Ooh, neat, Ximenez! Image

mikro2nd wrote:But if meetups are going to be organised on Facebook, then,...sniff... goodbye - I'm not on FB and never will be, so won't know about it. Pretty sure I'm not the only one...

Don't worry - I'm certain any meetup plans will be posted here on the OTT, too. There are less than fifty OTTers in the Facebook group, and 1324 people have posted here in the OTT according to Kieryn's Credits page. The One True Thread is still the One True OTTer Method Of Communication (OTOMOC)*.

*Yes, I put an acronym in an acronym. Would you like some recursive Sandcastle with that?
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Would you like some recursive Sandcastle with that?[/size]
Spoiler:

7, I had forgotten about that GIF!

And: Thanks for the compliment, BlitzGirl!
Last edited by Ximenez on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ooh, neat, Ximenez! Image

mikro2nd wrote:But if meetups are going to be organised on Facebook, then,...sniff... goodbye - I'm not on FB and never will be, so won't know about it. Pretty sure I'm not the only one...

Don't worry - I'm certain any meetup plans will be posted here on the OTT, too. There are less than fifty OTTers in the Facebook group, and 1324 people have posted here in the OTT according to Kieryn's Credits page. The One True Thread is still the One True OTTer Method Of Communication (OTOMOC)*.

*Yes, I put an acronym in an acronym. Would you like some recursive Sandcastle with that?
Spoiler:

I love the new acronym. really rolls off the tounge... I say it OH-to-MOCK.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

For all you Megball shippers (Megballers?), this is what really happened in m2693. Someone, it seems had a flashlight (torch). Spoilered for basic decency.
Spoiler:

Redundant
Spoiler:
m2693Revealed.png
Lights On
m2693Revealed.png (4.73 KiB) Viewed 16649 times
http://xkcd.com/487/
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

Huh. For some reason I was expecting more Beanie action (must be off-flashlight).
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:On graphics tablets. (Was going to post this as part of my ketchup but then realized how absurdly seaish it was. Regular ketchup to follow.)
Seaish quote blocks:
Spoiler:
Sciscitor wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Also if you already are good at drawing on paper then you will want to get a cheap drawing tablet of some kind so you don't have to try and teach yourself to draw with a mouse which is a lot harder.

I tend to disagree. I dabbled a bit with creating graphics on the pc (well I dabbled with almost anything on the pc), but made the mistake to buy a cheap drawing tablet. Though a lot - a seaish lot - better than the mouse it is still really limiting. I finally bought a not so cheap wacom intuos, which i really can recommend. Don't get the smallest one. The medium ones are great, the biggest ones don't deliver as much bang per buck (except you really need that size [twss]).

I tried using a stylus with an iPad once and found it terrible. From my experience, nothing beats a good old pencil and paper. If you want to digitize it, just photo or scan it and then you can start doing the CG effects.

To be fair, the iPad is an awful device for drawing (I have one), and the bulbous stylus designs that go with it are terrible when it comes to accuracy. But a decent graphics tablet to use with a computer, plus some practice, can give the old pencil-and-paper a run for its money. I don't know if I'd recommend it for the casual artist, since a good-quality tablet can be a couple hundred dollars, but if you're a hobbyist and you can see yourself doing a lot of digital drawing/painting, I'd go for it. And I'm ninja'd!

&Latent...
Really? I've never had the opportunity to try a decent graphics tablet of any kind... I'm surprised to hear they can be better than traditional physical drawing tools? In what ways does the graphics tablet win over real pencil/charcoal/paint etc etc etc?
ETA: Also, are we talking about surfaces that also display what you are drawing, or just input devices? If there is no display other than the actual screen, does that cause problems or is it easy to keep track of where you are?

A Wacom or equivalent gives a lot of possibilities that pen and paper doesn't, and has a lot of disadvantages that pen and paper doesn't have. I am not able to draw myself, but I have used a Wacom in a few places to photoshop or Gimpcake. Thus I do not know all the advantages and disadvantages, but I'l give it a shot.
Advantages:
1. You can program different things on it, like different colors whether the side button on the pen is pressed or not. Makes for quick and natural changes.
2. You can set things to the pressure level, things like:
a. Harder pressing means a bigger brush
b. Harder pressing means lower transparency
c. Harder pressing means a brush that fades less at the edges
and a lot more. This means you can control these things quite naturally.
3. Since you are working on a computer, saving is easy. A cup of coffee over your keyboard is an irritation, but a cup of coffee can destroy a pen and paper work. Wacom tablets and pens seem to be quite splashproof. The tablet is lifted a few mm off the ground by feet and there are no seams on the top. I haven't tried that feature yet.
4. When I last worked with cheap consumer grade scanners they usually didn't work. Scanners are frustrating things, although they may have been improved greatly.

Disadvantages:
1. Price. Depending on what you want a Wacom costs EUR 50 to EUR 2500. Pen and paper beats that any day of the week.

Other musings:

cakeThings like modifying a Terminator picture to the face of a friend of mine. Schwarzenegger with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing became my friend with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing. Fun, although time consuming to do properly. I believe more than 40 hours of work followed by a harsh lesson in backing up, by means of a harddisk crash. Auwtch.

Ace wrote:On the subject of tablets: I just have a dinky little Wacom Bamboo, tiny tablet, no screen. Basic bargain tablet. Around the time I was looking into getting a tablet, several webcomic artists posted recommendations to start out cheap, because that's all the average user really needs, and it's a lower price of entry. I've also had this thing for several years now, since August 2008 maybe? Possibly August 2007. (It was a birthday present.)

A graphics tablet is good for media that is not only created digitally, but consumed digitally, like a webcomic or fanart. I do know many people that still like to rough-sketch their concept on pencil-and-paper first, then digitize that and refine it using their pen tablets later (I do this myself on occasion). But as I've grown used to tablet-drawing, I view this more and more as an additional step in the process that I try to skip as often as possible.

My own tablet story: I first started making digital art around 2006 or so, strictly hobbyist. My first tablet was a Wacom 4x6" tablet (I believe it was of their Graphire 4 series; they don't make these anymore). I used it with my parents' home PC, my laptop, and the Macs used by my school. It was a good little tablet and actually still works - I have it stashed in my electronics drawer right now. The key word, though, is "little." 4x6 is very small, and reduces your input to the size of a large index card.

In 2008 I upgraded to a Wacom Bamboo Fun with drawing area of 6x8", and noticed the improvement immediately. Less wrist strain, cleaner lines, etc. This was also a good graphics tablet, and I still have it as well. However, it met with a horrific moving accident in late 2011, and gained several etches on its surface. It's still workable, but inconvenient to use. I replaced it with the current Bamboo Create model, also 6x8" drawing area, which I am very happy with. This is what I used to make the Boom de Yadas and OTColored frames. It also has touch capabilities, but I usually have these turned off, preferring to use it just for the pen. If I'm not using it for the pen, I'm using it as a mousepad with my regular mouse.

The three tablets I've had, oldest first:
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
I've actually become so used to graphics tablets that when touchscreen-computer tablets first became popular, I was weirded out by them. (You mean you touch them with your hands? Your germy, germy hands? Ewww...smearing sludge all over the screen...ewww...) I have a couple-generations old iPad that is just a bear to draw on compared to my Wacom. Because I'm still just a hobbyist, I haven't really felt the need to upgrade to even a Wacom Intuos, the next step up in terms of pen tablets. A screen tablet like a Cintiq would be amazing, but it's fifteen times what I paid for the Bamboo. Right now in terms of tablets I'm still a happy molpy.

Okay thanks BlitzGirl and all others that have posted on the subject. A Bamboo Create has been added to my birthday wishlist ... :-)
Image- Kieryn

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:Thanks for the compliment, BlitzGirl!

You're welcome!

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Ooh, neat, Ximenez! Image

I love the new acronym. really rolls off the tounge... I say it OH-to-MOCK.

Very fitting! OTOMOC. Oh-to-mock. :)
And happy future birthday! My first Wacom was a Christmas present. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Arky

Postby Arky » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

Apologies if this has already been relayed to the OTT and I missed it, but Wired has an article up with some quotes from the GTR himself (among other things confirming the Antares supernova and confirming how hard to crack Beanish is meant to be).

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/08/xkcd-time-comic/
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:4! I've shot all the way up to 9th!

That's what she said.

I've been having a terrible week at work and haven't had the energy to construct a post in a couple days. I've been reading everything, though... and listening to / reading / seeing all the filks makes me smile. Often. ;) I'm working on a few other OTTifications but don't know when I'll have the chance to post them.

To all the Blitzers! Keep those past-posts coming. Those have been really 4... especially throwing forward things you know are momentous NOW but we didn't know any better back THEN. I like the idea of understanding the whole comic and thread already and then blitzing. May GLR be with you.

I brought this cupcake for you guys, but someone got to it first:
Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

I haven't felt the need for proper ketchup posts since TFWMNBN, but there is much I wish to reply to today.

However first, I need to read that wired article and stare at that sandcastle gif some more.
He/Him/His Image

waveney

Postby waveney » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

I have been looking at Rosetta's map under magnification and I think we have missed a few things...

time map.png

1. Clear Square dot and possibly some small writing - Bilbao?
2. Another Square dot - Unidentified
3. Possible dot - Unidentified
4 Another Square dot and some small writing - New Rome?
5. Known Gibralter beanish 933
6. Known Baleric Sea in Beanish
7. Known Ionian Sea in Beanish
8. Beanish 34cGX
9. Two Beanish Labels: 2JMX' (reported) and 433? (not reported?)
10. Writing?
11. Writing?
12. Another named Sea?
13. Another named Sea?
14. Name of River?
15. Another named Sea?

(How can you tell this forum to magnify a picture?)

Dracomax

Re: Ketchup glug glug glug

Postby Dracomax » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Ximenez wrote:
HES wrote:nopix

<snip> (Even sad as it is, "nopix" seems an excellent replacement for "newpix" after Th* *nd.)
ETA: Found this in np171 (March 30):
Opiboble wrote:
Valarya wrote:be it a longpix or a nopix? be it even CHANGING?! Panic be setting in.

It is not a nopix, that will be the day that there are no more pix at all.

I think "nopix" is a good way to measure our Time (or lack thereof) now...will definitely be using this...even though it makes me sad...

I disagree. we are still getting pix, even if they are reruns. therefore, I dub these, the "days of Semi-random repix"

and nominate repix for the term we use.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Arky wrote:Apologies if this has already been relayed to the OTT and I missed it, but Wired has an article up with some quotes from the GTR himself (among other things confirming the Antares supernova and confirming how hard to crack Beanish is meant to be).

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/08/xkcd-time-comic/

Just googled time again and found this too. Was just about to post it but thanks for Ninja'ing me :-)
Image- Kieryn

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:For all you Megball shippers (Megballers?), this is what really happened in m2693. Someone, it seems had a flashlight (torch). Spoilered for basic decency.
Spoiler:

Redundant
Spoiler:
m2693Revealed.png
http://xkcd.com/487/

ImageImage

HES

Time, the OTTiverse and Everything

Postby HES » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

magma pixie wrote:Hi all! I've followed the OTC since I learned the frame was changing and I found the wonderful Book of Aubron to keep me up to date. I came to the OTT later, becoming a sporadic lurker, reading more with the puzzle of Rosetta's speeches, and even more so since the Voldeframe. This community is freaking amazing! I am in awe of the devotion and the creativity. I love love love OTColored, and that people have recorded some of the marvelous songs.

I don't think I've seen an OTTification to the Firefly theme, so here's a little contribution from me:
Spoiler:
Meg and Cue, on the sand,
Building castles oh so grand
What's out there, they'll go see
You can't take the Time from me

They head out, take a pack,
Hope to bring some knowledge back
Walk the land and learn the sea
You can't take the Time from me

Found a place they can be
Since the rising of the sea
But you can't take the Time from me

Wow! Each verse captures a different era so well. And on top of that, the tune of one of the greatest shows of all time.
Welcome!

NoMouse wrote:So long, and thanks for all the fish! I hope the OTT will not be dead when I get back! :wink:

Have a good heresy holiday NoMouse, I'll make sure to leave the porch light on for you!

tresoldi wrote:Do you think it is better to discuss the language here? I didn't want to be too spammy...

Anyway, I am glad you find my posts interesting, I will try to go on in my free time. And I must say, it was amusing to read people speculations about that mysterious blogger. :)

I don't know how seaish your analysis is, but we'd certainly like to hear from you. Maybe post when you reach certain milestones or find something significant? And, of course, for the purposes of posting OTTifications, OTThercomics, Colourifications, Ketchups or just because you feel like it...

Eternal Density wrote:If I had a quarter for every time I had a nickel, I'd have six times as much theoretical American money.

But if you exchanged the quarters back to nickels ... you'd devalue the dollar and collapse the world economy

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

:shock: One could lose a nopix or more staring at that thing

[adds "nopix" to list of coined phrases Maganinjad]

AluisioASG wrote:Now presenting: the xkcd 1190 Thread Members Map. Go, click on your location, click the marker, enter your info and upload! (Just look at it for now, the upload doesn't seem to be working yet; check my signature for updates.) Lurkers are welcome, just fill in a random username.

Done. I went with being creepily specific, so if I walk across the room it will become out of date.
(at least, it said it worked)

@Charliegrumbles, thank you for keeping the OTTherpix coming

Now, that article:
GLR wrote:Maybe I’ll find a way to sneak a bit more of the language into another xkcd comic.

Oh please do!
Last edited by HES on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

wizpretz wrote:
tresoldi wrote:I hadn't read the OTT today, and I guess I have to present myself.

I am Tiago, the author of the Beanish language blog (by the way, it's great to have a domain pointing to it), and I am user Tresoldi in Wikipedia, just like someone guessed.
I am really glad you liked what I did, but as someone posted here I am just developing on the work found on Wikia. I am not a professional linguist, but have studied historical linguistics both in Brazil and in Italy; my "true" fields, however, are computational linguistics and especially literature (which is my "truest" field).

I really didn't want to be a mysterious blogger, just fired up Wordpress and started working without any great plans. I didn't write here (well, five minutes ago I wasn't even registered yet) because it sounded to spammy. Do you think it is better for me to post here? The discussion would probably be easier...

M32 to you all= :)

Oh... You're a computational linguist. That's kind of... awkward.1
Very neat stuff on your blog. I'm really interested to see what you can make of it.

Well, in my defense I could say that the projects I worked on are more in the field of natural language processing than computational linguistics, but Randall wasn't entirely wrong about that one (and as Ph.D. student in literature, he is completely right about xkcd 451 -- I don't seem to have enough "karma" to post links, sorry).
My blog on Beanish: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

Okay, I'm going to be brutal and snip most of GLR's direct quotes out of the Wired article for OTT-posterity, though of course I recommend all y'all read it all:

Great Lord Randall wrote:In my comic, our civilization is long gone. Every civilization with written records has existed for less than 5,000 years; it seems optimistic to hope that the current one will last for 10,000 more. And as astronomer Fred Hoyle has pointed out, since we’ve stripped away the easily-accessed fossil fuels, whatever civilization comes along next won’t be able to jump-start an industrial revolution the way we did.

I got suggestions from botanists and herpetologists, and I had a file with details on every species the characters encountered or talked about, like dwarf palms, juniper trees, horned vipers, and sand boas.

The Earth’s axis wobbles over the millennia, and some individual stars move visibly, so I used a few different pieces of astronomy software–with a lot of hand correction and twerking–to render the future night sky.

When the Sun sets in the night sequence, one of the first things you see is the gap where Antares should be, which was the first clue that this is taking place in the far future. Later in the night - which lasted for several days of real time - more astronomical details let readers pin down the date more precisely.

Maybe I’ll find a way to sneak a bit more of the language into another xkcd comic.

Hurray! Very good article by Laura Hudson, with extensive links to the Wiki and even a link to the OTT! (Don't bother reading the comments there - they aren't friendly like us.)
This was my favorite paragraph:

Wired wrote:Geographically, the comic takes place in the part of the basin between Africa and Europe, so Munroe researched and illustrated very specific plants and wildlife to offer readers hints about the location. “I got suggestions from botanists and herpetologists, and I had a file with details on every species the characters encountered or talked about, like dwarf palms, juniper trees, horned vipers, and sand boas.”

Africanists forever! Of course GLR knew what he was doing!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

I've been reading and enjoying, but not coming up with much to say lately. And now I'm off to a science fiction convention, so I'll probably be Molpying Down for a few [heresy] days [/heresy]

(Is that still heresy?)

Anyway, see you all when I get back!
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

waveney wrote:I have been looking at Rosetta's map under magnification and I think we have missed a few things...

time map.png

1. Clear Square dot and possibly some small writing - Bilbao?
2. Another Square dot - Unidentified
3. Possible dot - Unidentified
4 Another Square dot and some small writing - New Rome?
5. Known Gibralter beanish 933
6. Known Baleric Sea in Beanish
7. Known Ionian Sea in Beanish
8. Beanish 34cGX
9. Two Beanish Labels: 2JMX' (reported) and 433? (not reported?)
10. Writing?
11. Writing?
12. Another named Sea?
13. Another named Sea?
14. Name of River?
15. Another named Sea?

(How can you tell this forum to magnify a picture?)

I was just about to ask if someone is proficient with image manipulation and is able to improve the map, or at least give a more readable contrast (I tried just messing around with standard contrast controls, but it didn't help).

We should remember that in number 7 we can only see the end of the words. Besides that, Label 1 does match Bilbao, 2 could be Toulouse, 3 could be Lagos or Faro (from where Colombus sailed) and 15 is likely the Adriatic Sea (but it seems to me that someone had already pointed it).
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

There was something very satisfying about seeing the Washington Post use the word "blitzing" in context, regarding the OTT. But to see Wired print "Beanish" in one of their articles is just so utterly fantastic! :mrgreen:

The GLR has provided us with additional clues (and a challenge!), comparing Beanish to Linear A. I do hope he decides to use it again.

@waveney Trying to decipher the place names on the Beanie map is also a good idea. I do not recall is those label have been specifically identified and analysed. I do recall that someone had suggested requesting the original frame from GLR himself, so that we might examine them at their original, higher resolution.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:I've been reading and enjoying, but not coming up with much to say lately. And now I'm off to a science fiction convention, so I'll probably be Molpying Down for a few [heresy] days [/heresy]

(Is that still heresy?)

Anyway, see you all when I get back!

Don't ask me. I retired. ANd I didn't even get killed off the day before. Way I see it, I'm ahead. and afoot, too.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Way I see it, I'm ahead. and afoot, too.

And alive. Don't forget alive!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

tresoldi

Re: ᕋᖗ ᘝᙉᖉᔭ ᘖᐣ ᖗᔭᐢ ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐤ

Postby tresoldi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

KayZ wrote:I have more than a hundred pages to ketchup, but still I'm throwing this forward into the future because it does not seem like it was recognized for what it seems to be: A pretty much perfect match for the beanish language. It's not mentioned in the Wiki and I could only find one other person who threw it forward but spoilered it. But it's to good to be spoilered. There are some minor differences but most of it matches.

Renil wrote:I've started transliterating beanish into a Canadian aboriginal syllabic.

ᔪᘊᖚᐧ ᘛᔭᐤ = d36' Ub?
ᔪᘝᓄᐧ = dAJ'
,ᔪ = ,d
ᒣᖉ = 7X
ᖊᐣᖽ = W'N
ᖽᘛᕋᐤ = NUq?
ᓭᘈ ᘊᒣᓭᐧᖊᔑ ᘝᘊᓭᒣᖊᐣᖗᐨ = 4M 374'WS A347W'9.
ᘊᖚᐧ ᘊᘖᑫᘖᒣᐣᖚ ᘡ ᓴᔅᐧ ᘊᖚ,ᕋᐨ = 36' 32g27'6 U 4"' 36g,q.
ᖚᑫᘖ ᓭᐧᖚ = 6g2 4'6
ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ = 42bJ.
ᖉ,ᑦᐦ = X,c!
ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐦ = 42bJ!
ᔪᖉᔭᑫ ᘊᖚᐧ ᘊᓭᐧᖚᐤ = dXbg 36' 34'6?
ᒼᖸᖽᐣ ᔭ = 'MN' b
ᘝᖽᒣ ᓭᘖᒼ ᖊᘊᐤ = AN7 42' W3?
ᕋᖗ ᘝᙉᖉᔭ ᘖᐣ ᖗᔭᐢ ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐤ = q9 AQXb 2' 9b, 342bJ?
ᖽᔑᐣᘖ ᖚᐧᘖᖗᑫ ᘝᐣᖽ ᘊᒣᒼᖽᘝᐨ = NS'2 6'29g A'N 37'NA.

Hopefully that renders for everyone.

This transliteration is very actually very good, very good, I am thinking about adopting it. The problem with the one currently used is not only that it mixes numbers and letters, but also that it forces me to think about the words with an approximated English pronountiation of what is written, for exemple "fourtwobeedjei" for "water" (I'm the only one with this problem?). What Renil proposes not only solves this problem, but also makes copying and pasting possible. I will probably adopt it.

However, while Randall might have developed his script form CAS, I don't think it had any other influence. Beanish script still looks more alphabetic than syllabic; I checked the actual syllables usually represented by those glyphs and didn't find anything interesting (considering common European languages, of course -- I just hope Randall hasn't evolved Beanish from Blackfoot or Inuktitut!)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”