1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:54 am UTC

This one's much simpler than it's original
Original:
Spoiler:

PAPAL BONUS!
(Edited by popular demand*)

*Two people
Last edited by HES on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:25 am UTC

AnOTTher comic (this time http://xkcd.com/512)

512DrSamCarter.jpg

I may not fare well in this new fiscal climate.

Not redundant

Spoiler:
SwampWallabyTime.jpg

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:35 am UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:Not redundant

Spoiler:
SwampWallabyTime.jpg

Swamp Wallapys- Now THERE'S a molpy I can really enjoy finding in redundant spoilers.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:36 am UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:AnOTTher comic (this time http://xkcd.com/512)

Well I'm screwed then.
He/Him/His Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:50 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Way I see it, I'm ahead. and afoot, too.

And alive. Don't forget alive!

Being alive is highly overrated.
On the subject of heresy: Yes it is heresy. I am trying to pelt you with M&M's but sadly they bounce back from my monitor. I am trying to throw harder, but frankly it's giving me muscle ache in my arm.

Tatiana wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
cakeThings like modifying a Terminator picture to the face of a friend of mine. Schwarzenegger with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing became my friend with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing. Fun, although time consuming to do properly. I believe more than 40 hours of work followed by a harsh lesson in backing up, by means of a harddisk crash. Auwtch.

I just saw a picture of my friend Pearce like that. Are you friends with Pearce?

Nope.
By the way, I used this picture:
Spoiler:
or a similar shot. What was used for Pearce?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:50 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Also, are HES and WhizBang having an awesomeful OTThercomic-off with you?
Something like that. Image

@pelrigg: Pretty colorization, and thanks again for your email OTTering!
@Whizbang: Your OTTercomic made me Image
@StormAngel: Treeish bed! Although...

StormAngel wrote:Maybe this is what the first part of stopping completely looks like.

Redundant:
Spoiler:

RedundaHeresy1.png

Keywords: redundakitty raptorcat black meowlpy heresy kitten comfy chair can we watch BGUM angry
RedundaHeresy2.png

So, I retire, and get replaces by a meowlpy. Not sure if I should be happy, or unhappy. Oh well. I shall snack on my supply of small candies no longer reserved for the wicked.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Neil_Boekend

Re: Map notices

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:@Dracomax: please reenter your location in the map. I had to nuke it from the server.
Also, I believe GLR gave us the true names of Megan and Cueball:
Database dump with "Megan & Cueball" record highlighted

If that is the official location from GLR then Quegan are going to have a lot of water coming to them. They should still RUN.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Dracomax

Re: Map notices

Postby Dracomax » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:@Dracomax: please reenter your location in the map. I had to nuke it from the server.
Also, I believe GLR gave us the true names of Megan and Cueball:
Database dump with "Megan & Cueball" record highlighted

ReviewEdit:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Am I the only one who sees BlitzGirl on the map in both the US Northwest and in France?

Huh. I'm not supposed to be in France (though I certainly wouldn't mind visiting!). I put my marker back where I am. It seems that if you search for a user, and then place a marker somewhere, that marker automatically gets the searched user's name. So it's possible I was accidentally transported to France that way. :)

The "add your info" and "search for someone" forms are the same. You can search someone before and after you've placed your marker in the map; what gets uploaded is what there is in the form at the moment of the upload.

Also, be careful when pressing Enter/Return. The browser seems to default to "Upload location"... (I'll see if there's a way to override it.)

For some reason, the buttons on the upload location aren't working for me...
“have i gone mad?

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
tresoldi wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
@tresoldi Regarding your translation: Would it still work if GLR decided to make the grammar subject verb object? Is there any syllabic indication the he might be using verb conjugation, as is common among European languages?

I am assuming a SVO order, for the only reason that it is the most common among Western European languages, form where I hope he evolved Beanish. Given that there seems to be tendency for Beanish to postpone modifiers, it would require less assumptions -- but the language does seem to favor prefixes over suffixes, which is against this very tendency. Questions seem to work very differently, however.

Unless GLR designed something very, very different from the languages I know, we can safely assume that the language uses a conjugation system similar to Romance languages (i.e., each person has its form), and just like most Romance languages it makes personal pronouns unnecessary. However, it's hard to guess how its verbs work: once more, the language seems to dislike suffixes, and in fact the verbal system could very well use infixes, like Semitic languages. But I can't say much without overusing the words "likely" and "probably" regarding verbs; I will only say that I assume that ᖚᐧᘖᖗᑫ (frame 2734 and 2836) and ᖚᒣᑕᑫᓭ (frame 2806) are forms of a verb "to go", the first one in the future (I have some other speculations in the blog, if you like, but they are just that, speculations).

I am also pretty certain that Beanish does not uses general determiners (i.e., articles) as single words, but some of the noun features could be (in)determinative articles incorporated into the nouns.

Whoops! I mustarded my own question. I had actually meant to ask if it Beanish could be OVS.

I wouldn't completely rule it out, but I dare to say that it is very unlikely. First, OVS is very rare in natural languages, and it is not what one would expect if Beanish were derived from a Romance/Germanic proto-language (I just hope the GLR didn't evolve it from Klingon...). Second, while OVS suggests a tentendecy for a language to place modifiers before nouns and verbs, and morphemes before roots, there is no clear indication that Beanish does that (we do have prefixes, of course, but they don't seem to work this way -- Beanish is probably inflected); given what we know, I'd say that the only way for Beanish to be an OVS language would be for it to be an inflected language and for its script to be written right-to-left.

My guess is that Beanish is mostly SVO.
My blog on Beanish: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

One more hat:
Spoiler:
DinoHatted.png
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

{P1218}
I see Peter Capaldi will be our new Doctor. Hope he brings some Malcolm Tucker to the role
"Yes, it's fucking bigger on the inside. Now come the fuck in or fuck off."
sample rant
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

jazz14456 wrote:
chem1190c wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Cuegan will eventually find themselves cut off from the land and surrounded by rising water. But they will be rescued in the nick of time: airlifted out by a Firefly-class transport ship. Thus ends time.

FIREFL-ONG?

Spoiler:
Name's Captain Reynold's, Ma'am
f9150cc0e47a80403aef87a24938bdf9695f6404298dbde1e487b39a53123123.png

For a second I thought that image was a real newpix and I was like WHATTTTT
XD

{P1218}
I don't believe that that was what you were like. Get a grip man.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

foilman wrote:New plan ONG...

{P1218}
They weren't gazing in each other's eyes before, they were plotting.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:On the subject of heresy: Yes it is heresy. I am trying to pelt you with M&M's but sadly they bounce back from my monitor. I am trying to throw harder, but frankly it's giving me muscle ache in my arm.

Silly person: you're supposed to stuff them into the USB ports. Then, for even better results, load the optical drive with colored sugar crystals. When the drive spins up, you'll get cotton candy!

PS -- Yeah, I know I signed off, but these side discussions are just too funny to ignore.

Call me the Permanently Signed-off Lurker Who Posts Anyway .
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

Redundant+:
Spoiler:
Perpetual Needle Pulled Thingy.png

Subdue the Few.png
Subdue the Few.png (15.71 KiB) Viewed 21839 times

ETA: From http://xkcd.com/1166/

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:On the subject of heresy: Yes it is heresy. I am trying to pelt you with M&M's but sadly they bounce back from my monitor. I am trying to throw harder, but frankly it's giving me muscle ache in my arm.

Silly person: you're supposed to stuff them into the USB ports. Then, for even better results, load the optical drive with colored sugar crystals. When the drive spins up, you'll get cotton candy!

PS -- Yeah, I know I signed off, but these side discussions are just too funny to ignore.

Call me the Permanently Signed-off Lurker Who Posts Anyway .

Aww, but that means my project for an M&M trebuchet is wasted time! No fair!

he/him/his

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

From http://xkcd.com/1128/

Redundant+:
Spoiler:
WishMolpy.png
WishMolpy.png (31.39 KiB) Viewed 21773 times

Redundant Wishbone.png
Redundant Wishbone.png (154.07 KiB) Viewed 21773 times

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

tresoldi wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
tresoldi wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
@tresoldi Regarding your translation: Would it still work if GLR decided to make the grammar subject verb object? Is there any syllabic indication the he might be using verb conjugation, as is common among European languages?

I am assuming a SVO order, for the only reason that it is the most common among Western European languages, form where I hope he evolved Beanish. Given that there seems to be tendency for Beanish to postpone modifiers, it would require less assumptions -- but the language does seem to favor prefixes over suffixes, which is against this very tendency. Questions seem to work very differently, however.

Unless GLR designed something very, very different from the languages I know, we can safely assume that the language uses a conjugation system similar to Romance languages (i.e., each person has its form), and just like most Romance languages it makes personal pronouns unnecessary. However, it's hard to guess how its verbs work: once more, the language seems to dislike suffixes, and in fact the verbal system could very well use infixes, like Semitic languages. But I can't say much without overusing the words "likely" and "probably" regarding verbs; I will only say that I assume that ᖚᐧᘖᖗᑫ (frame 2734 and 2836) and ᖚᒣᑕᑫᓭ (frame 2806) are forms of a verb "to go", the first one in the future (I have some other speculations in the blog, if you like, but they are just that, speculations).

I am also pretty certain that Beanish does not uses general determiners (i.e., articles) as single words, but some of the noun features could be (in)determinative articles incorporated into the nouns.

Whoops! I mustarded my own question. I had actually meant to ask if it Beanish could be OVS.

I wouldn't completely rule it out, but I dare to say that it is very unlikely. First, OVS is very rare in natural languages, and it is not what one would expect if Beanish were derived from a Romance/Germanic proto-language (I just hope the GLR didn't evolve it from Klingon...). Second, while OVS suggests a tentendecy for a language to place modifiers before nouns and verbs, and morphemes before roots, there is no clear indication that Beanish does that (we do have prefixes, of course, but they don't seem to work this way -- Beanish is probably inflected); given what we know, I'd say that the only way for Beanish to be an OVS language would be for it to be an inflected language and for its script to be written right-to-left.

The reason I ask is because GLR did state something to the effect that he wanted Beanish to be as different from English as is Linear A. OVS would certainly do that, would it not? You stated, "Unless GLR designed something very, very different from the languages I know..."; I think he did just that. I think that that may be a safer assumption than assuming he based Beanish on some language he, or any of us, would be familiar with. The Wired article did point out that he created Beanish with the help of a linguist. Would someone such as the GLR require that much assistance if he were just modifying a Romance/Germanic language he was familiar with? Also, though the story takes place in the Mediterranean basin, I do not think that we should assume that, 11,000 years from now, the people there would necessarily be a continuation of the population that currently exists there, and therefore, the language may not be a continuation of anything from that region. After all, even baobabs figured out how to migrate to that area.

ETA: What about VSO? Just to make it different enough, but not too terribly exotic? One might then argue that it could be derived from some Afroasiatic language (migrated with the baobabs perhaps?)

ETA:
Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Redundant+:
Spoiler:
WishMolpy.png

Redundant Wishbone.png

Are you sure it shouldn't be "chirp"? ;)
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:ETA:
Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Redundant+:
Spoiler:
WishMolpy.png

Redundant Wishbone.png

Are you sure it shouldn't be "chirp"? ;)

I don't know. I never read the comic.

;)

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

@HES, lmjb1964: I'm sorry that my hamply-in-a-bowl post made you sad. I was more thinking along the lines: Hey, the First Cleric had molpies for breakfast, but this little fellow was too smart and escaped. Please, let me apologize with this happy hamply having breakfast:
Spoiler:

@AluisioASG: Thanks for the map updates4!
@jjjdavidson: Thank you for the new data3!
Treeish sudoku, intheshax!
And thanks for all the new OTThercomics and OTColourifications! (HES, the Mediterranean Life Identification Chart was particularly 4!)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:@HES, lmjb1964: I'm sorry that my hamply-in-a-bowl post made you sad. I was more thinking along the lines: Hey, the First Cleric had molpies for breakfast, but this little fellow was too smart and escaped. Please, let me apologize with this happy hamply having breakfast:
Spoiler:
Remember, not all molpies are cute and furry. Some are crunchy and taste good with ketchup, and others would be happy to eat you for breakfast! :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:@HES, lmjb1964: I'm sorry that my hamply-in-a-bowl post made you sad. I was more thinking along the lines: Hey, the First Cleric had molpies for breakfast, but this little fellow was too smart and escaped. Please, let me apologize with this happy hamply having breakfast:
Spoiler:
Remember, not all molpies are cute and furry. Some are crunchy and taste good with ketchup, and others would be happy to eat you for breakfast! :)

Jose
Molpies, by definition, are creatures you would want to duccle with.
Meddle not in the affairs of molpies, for they are cute and cuddly and taste good with ketchup. But if you dotry to eat them, Mscha, blitzgirl, and 30 OTTers will come after you! and then, you will be forced to follow the third commandment.
“have i gone mad?

masseydvt

Postby masseydvt » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

First (and possibly only-ever) post.

My favorite way to watch Time is at the geekwagon.net site, at 8 frames per second with no pauses for special frames, while listening to the 7:06 album version of Guster's "Ruby Falls". It's a close enough match that I wonder if that was Randall's actual intention . . . and if it was, I'm claiming the discovery!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Eeeeeeep!

BLINDPOST from 10 pages back, OTTers. Have some serious condimenting to do. Missed all ya'll:

Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

From http://xkcd.com/627/

Redundant+:
Spoiler:

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Tatiana wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
cakeThings like modifying a Terminator picture to the face of a friend of mine. Schwarzenegger with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing became my friend with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing. Fun, although time consuming to do properly. I believe more than 40 hours of work followed by a harsh lesson in backing up, by means of a harddisk crash. Auwtch.

I just saw a picture of my friend Pearce like that. Are you friends with Pearce?

Nope.
By the way, I used this picture:
Spoiler:
or a similar shot. What was used for Pearce?

The same shot, but maybe zoomed out a little. Maybe you started something.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

I have just posted a force-directed graph based on the maximum-likelihood estimators I ran yesterday. It shows the statistical (and, hopefully, linguistic) proximity of Beanish glyphs. I'm posting it here too, hope you find it treeish, full discussion on the blog, as usual.

Link to the unscaled version: http://beanishlang.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/beanish-dot.png
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

From http://xkcd.com/627/

Redundant+:
Spoiler:
From http://xkcd.com/95/
Cheat Sheet.png

Sierpinski Molpy.png

:D This is going up in my cube, next to the original comic. The original, I actually made copies, and distributed them to "not computer people" in my department. I think I shall keep the "not OTTer people" one to myself, though However, I do think that perhaps this should be posted in the wiki FAQ, under questions about the thread. :mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
tresoldi wrote:I wouldn't completely rule it out, but I dare to say that it is very unlikely. First, OVS is very rare in natural languages, and it is not what one would expect if Beanish were derived from a Romance/Germanic proto-language (I just hope the GLR didn't evolve it from Klingon...). Second, while OVS suggests a tentendecy for a language to place modifiers before nouns and verbs, and morphemes before roots, there is no clear indication that Beanish does that (we do have prefixes, of course, but they don't seem to work this way -- Beanish is probably inflected); given what we know, I'd say that the only way for Beanish to be an OVS language would be for it to be an inflected language and for its script to be written right-to-left.

The reason I ask is because GLR did state something to the effect that he wanted Beanish to be as different from English as is Linear A. OVS would certainly do that, would it not? You stated, "Unless GLR designed something very, very different from the languages I know..."; I think he did just that. I think that that may be a safer assumption than assuming he based Beanish on some language he, or any of us, would be familiar with. The Wired article did point out that he created Beanish with the help of a linguist. Would someone such as the GLR require that much assistance if he were just modifying a Romance/Germanic language he was familiar with? Also, though the story takes place in the Mediterranean basin, I do not think that we should assume that, 11,000 years from now, the people there would necessarily be a continuation of the population that currently exists there, and therefore, the language may not be a continuation of anything from that region. After all, even baobabs figured out how to migrate to that area.

ETA: What about VSO? Just to make it different enough, but not too terribly exotic? One might then argue that it could be derived from some Afroasiatic language (migrated with the baobabs perhaps?)

Oh, you certainly right about that: if the One True Intention was to have a different language, from an English-speaking point-of-view he couldn't go much farther than OVS in terms of word order. But the analysis that has been done so far (which, unfortunately, is still very superficial in terms of syntax and morphology) suggests that it is not OVS (and, besides, he could focus in many other features to make it different, even without cases word order isn't terribly hard to figure out). From a scientific point-of-view, he said that he wanted a "plausible" future language, and the fact that there are not many OVS languages suggests a tendency for the object to be moved towards the end of the sentence. It's therefore unplausible that a language that nowadays has the subject before the object will evolve into one with an OVS order (but we all know what "tendency" means).

I was actually thinking about VSO, but for a different reason. If we consider computer languages, especially Lisp, the word order usually is, as a way of speaking, VSO: first you use the command (the "action"), then you specify where this action will be performed (the subject) and then you add everything else you might have. But GLR might have hacked most of it together with Perl. :wink:

magma pixie

Postby magma pixie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Okay, I can't manage anything like a ketchup post right now, but I do want to mention a few things.

AluisioASG: Thanks for all your work on the user map! It's working fine for me, and I've posted my location.

Hillperson: Treeish colpix of frame 2898! Brilliant to put Rosetta in the Twin Peaks Red Room!

All y'all: So much wowterful creative work! Thank you for the beauty you are adding to the world! <3

Also, my boyfriend thinks I'm a little crazy (in a good way) with what I tell him about this place, and he hears only a tiny fraction of what goes on here! He didn't follow the OTC himself, but followed my following it -- he loved for me to tell him stories about what was happening.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

Oh e** it all. I forgot how long it takes to ketchup after missing a xip of the OTT.
(No! I refuse to kowtow to your "dip/dix" nonsense! Ni ni ni molpy molpy grapevine grapevine!)

Anyway, seaish ketchup. (Worchestershire sauce?)

Whizbang wrote:Image

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Nerdsniping.png

Redundant.png

I really don't think that GLR hates us!

HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I also vote for colpix. Because obviously we don't have enough neologisms in this community yet :P

Well the alternative is having standards, and you know our stance on those. That's why I'm happy with using nopix/oldpix/repix all at once (I vote nopix).

(ni ni ni molpy molpy grapevine)

I like that my appending "molpy molpy grapevine grapevine" to the anti-standards chant has itself become a new standard.

smolloy wrote:Wow!
robxlii wrote:No, they mean Johnstown, the Pennsylvania community that was drowned by a massive flood caused by a dam failure. Right?

P156. Looking at the post-count, this guy probably never hung around long enough to see how close his little joke was!

According to google maps, Johnstown still exists. Did this flood just happen recently?

BlitzGirl wrote:
HES wrote:
Spoiler:

D'aww. Image

Redundant:
Spoiler:

OTTercomic237.png

Keywords: BGUM OTTercomic OTThercomic Othercomic xkcd keyboard disgusting keyboards leopard leopards raptorcat kitten cub
trickses Gee Willikers SexyTalon

redundant87.png

I love your keyboard OTTification!

ucim wrote:
Scene 22

Spoiler:
interior, day. Complete blackness, as the BlitzRocket has gone dark. There are the sounds of fumbling around, and also of the water against the BlitzRocket and the approaching waterfall.
the second scribe wrote:I am not waiting for it; the new commandment is RUN. We've got to get out of this tin bucket!
The Pope wrote:I thought you liked the BlitzRocket
the second scribe wrote:I don't know if you noticed, but it's not doing the Blitz thing any more.
The Pope wrote:Yes, I did figure that out. We should still wait for it, but that doesn't mean we can't do anything while we wait.

In nominae unium verium auctorus, et per auctorii heretecii, openium da porti des bahia pod.

A sliver of light splits the screen horizontally and the noise increases. Two shadows move in front of the slit.
the second scribe wrote:Amazing! How did you do that?
The Pope wrote:I'm the Pope. Now help push this open and let's get out.
As the two push up, the clamshell top opens wide and in the blinding light we can see the water, which is fairly calm given what lies ahead. The BlitzRocket floats low in the water, which is starting to pour into the cabin.
The Pope wrote:Let's go!

medium shot: the BlitzRocket, from outside, bobbing in the water. The edge of the water, where the waterfall begins, can be seen in the distance. The Pope emerges and stands on the water's surface, reaching out to the second scribe. She takes his hand and emerges from the BlitzRocket, which sinks below the surface a few seconds later.
the second scribe wrote:You're walking on water! How are you doing that??
The Pope wrote:You're walking on water too.
the second scribe wrote:Yes.... how about that! How am I doing that?
The Pope wrote:It's holy water. There's just a lot more of it in one place than we've ever seen. Now do you remember the commandment of the New Testament?
the second scribe wrote:You mean, "RUN."?
The Pope wrote:Yeah, that one. Now would be a good time to follow it. That way!

The two begin running on the water's surface, towards some distant hills. They are still being carried by the current however, and as the camera helicopters up and backwards, and tilts up towards the hills on the horizon, they appear smaller and smaller in the image, until edge of the waterfall comes into view and the camera stabilizes showing the two dots our characters have become. They are far closer to the waterfall than to the hills towards which they are running.

cut to: interior - taixzo's BlitzRocket. The camera is in the back, looking forwards. A dancing paperclip is depicted on one of the screens.
the dancing paperclip wrote:It looks like you are trying to find the Pope. Can I help you?
The First Cleric wrote:How do you stop this thing??
taixzo wrote:Usually it stops by itself if I crash the BlitzRocket.
The First Cleric wrote:Let's not do that.
taixzo wrote:For the first time, I agree with you.

taixzo taps the leftmost Sciscitor Stellar Navigation screen, and a map of what appears to be a large body of water appears on it. With the tap of a few buttons, the word ENLARGING appears, and the screen shows a strait. A few more taps, the word ENHANCING, and three dots appear on the screen with circles and arrows, and a paragraph appears on the rightmost screen explaining what each one was.
The First Cleric wrote:That's them! But what are they doing in the water?
taixzo wrote:I'll refrain from saying it's the backstroke. We're going in.

With a slight move of the control glove, taixzo eases the BlitzRocket down and what will later be known as the Gibralter Waterfall fills the window.
The First Cleric wrote:I think I'm going to be seasick. Or airsick. Or something.
the dancing paperclip wrote:It looks like you are about to throw up. Can I help you?

close-up: taixzo, preparing for approach.
taixzo wrote:Strap in. It's time to molpy up, not throw up.
The First Cleric wrote:Uh... I had molpy for breakfast.

exterior - day: the Pope and second scribe running towards the hills in the background. A bright dot of light appears in the sky. It streaks past in a rainbow of colors, curves around, and then the entire sky lights up in psychedelics.

exterior - day: medium shot of the Pope and second scribe running towards the camera. The BlitzRocket passes behind them; they stop, turn around, and look at it approach and hover just in front of them. The fire and cross emblem of taixzo is visible on the side. The hatch opens, and the First Cleric looks at them.

cut to: the First Cleric's POV, with the Pope and second scribe standing on the water, keeping pace with the current that is taking them towards the waterfall, whose edge is now visibly much closer.
offscreen, The First Cleric wrote:How are you doing that??
the second scribe wrote:He's the Pope.
offscreen, taixzo wrote:Would you like a lift, or do you have some more trickses you'd like to show us?
The Pope wrote:I wouldn't want to deny your hospitality - we'd love to see your BlitzRocket!
offscreen, taixzo wrote:Permission to come aboard!

The First Cleric reaches a hand out to the second scribe, who gets on board, and then to the Pope, who also climbs in.

Sound FX: There is a huge crashing sound as another part of the waterfall's edge gives way, and the entire surface of the water they had been standing on just moments before gets sucked down into the rapids.
the second scribe wrote:That was close!
taixzo wrote:Where to?

[close-up: the Pope] settling into the BlitzRocket. It's pretty crowded; the Pope and second scribe crouch down in the back behind the pilot's seat.
The Pope wrote:We're going to have to do something about this new influx of Holy Water. Too much of a good thing, you know. But I can't do it alone - we'll need the entire clerecy. So, let's start there.

[closeup: taixzo] lifts the control glove and pushes the red button.
the dancing paperclip wrote:It looks like you're trying to sit down. Can I help?

[exterior - day: wide shot of the Gibralter Waterfall, with the BlitzRocket departing in an arc above it, towards the camera. The camera fast-pans and rights itself as the BlitzRocket passes overhead with psychedelic exhaust and a mighty roar.
offscreen, The Pope wrote:Almost makes me miss HAL.
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1315) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

Hooray! I rescue the Pope! :D

HES wrote:PAPAL BONUS!

I think the count is much higher than five.
Last edited by taixzo on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
smolloy wrote:Wow!
robxlii wrote:No, they mean Johnstown, the Pennsylvania community that was drowned by a massive flood caused by a dam failure. Right?

P156. Looking at the post-count, this guy probably never hung around long enough to see how close his little joke was!

According to google maps, Johnstown still exists. Did this flood just happen recently?

Not by most definitions of recent:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnstown_Flood
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

@Whizbang: 4!
taixzo wrote:I really don't think that GLR hats us!

No, buffygirl, Vytron, HAL9000, and ChronosDragon did that. :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:@Whizbang: 4!
taixzo wrote:I really don't think that GLR hats us!

No, buffygirl, Vytron, HAL9000, and ChronosDragon did that. :)

Oops. Fix'd.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

sab39

Postby sab39 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Anyone else having problems with the OTColored page on the wiki? I only actually see the images up to the third frame - after that they seem to turn into 1x1 data-urls unless you click through them.

(Also, hi! Haven't posted in the OTT before; I discovered it briefly during Madness and had no idea what was going on and gave up, then rediscovered it after T** **d and blitz/lurked since then giggling and wowing at all the awesomeful stuff you all are coming up with!)

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Meddle not in the affairs of molpies, for they are cute and cuddly and taste good with ketchup. But if you dotry to eat them, Mscha, blitzgirl, and 30 OTTers will come after you! and then, you will be forced to follow the third commandment.
Well, the First Cleric never had very good taste.

(I'll demur on the question of whether or not he tastes good) :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

tresoldi wrote:I was actually thinking about VSO, but for a different reason. If we consider computer languages, especially Lisp, the word order usually is, as a way of speaking, VSO: first you use the command (the "action"), then you specify where this action will be performed (the subject) and then you add everything else you might have. But GLR might have hacked most of it together with Perl. :wink:

Well if it's an object-oriented language then it would be SVO you.get(me, sandwich). Wait, shouldn't it be called a subject-oriented language then?
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

For some reason, the buttons on the upload location aren't working for me...

Hm. Did you click "Load map" and "Place marker", in that order?

Kazza3 wrote:Also, Aluisio, do think that having the map as repeating over and over again as you scroll sideways, rather than returning to the same map (if you follow what I mean), is problematic? Obviously most people are on the initial one, but I've scrolled to one side or another, assuming that it would return to the same map, and then wondered why all the OTTers were gone. Also, ggh seems to have marked him/herself on the left side map, rather than the main one. I'm not sure if this is something you have control over, given you're utilizing third-party maps?

What? How many maps do you see?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

Apologies in advance for the splatterpost (I still like this term even if 'seaish' is still the preferred term - thank you b2bomberkrh!) Time for some

For my (seemingly daily) 'it's all related' moment, the fiance and I went to dinner this last nip and the menu was based on the nine circles of hell. Clearly I had to order from this section of the menu:

intheshax wrote:Greetings, OTT. I'm, going to nudge my post count closer to 5 so I can post an image by telling the story of how I experienced the the OTC and OTT, and how I shared them with my best lady.
Spoiler:
On day one of the OTC, I checked in on xkcd around the middle of the day, as I do on MWF, and things were already afoot. It took a while to figure out what was going on. Explainxkcd was overwhelmed and not responding. Thank Randall I knew about the fora! How long has the link been gone now? How much crazier would the OTT have been if it were easier to find? Am I wrong or do you have to just know the fora are here because of the link that used to be there? Isn't this an inside group of something that's already an inside group? (Sorry if these questions have been asked and answered. Even though I was here all along, I was not able to keep up with the pace of the OTT. I tried not to skip whole pages, but often I could only scrape the skin off the top of the ketchup coz it had been out too long.)

Anyway, I can't remember how long it was, but once I knew something very special was happening, I shared what was going on with my best lady, the early speculations -- what would happen, what it meant, how long it would last -- and my wonder at what I perceived as a spellbinding answer to "What will he think of next?" after Click & Drag had happened.

Over time, as I watched the founding and fracturing of religions, the giving out of hats, the celebration of the first blitzer, for whom the quest is now named, the collection of the newpix, and the appearance of the viewing tools, I shared every milestone with her. The refrain I couldn't get away from was "HE KNEW!"

"HE KNEW!" I would exclaim, referring to the faith GLR had shown in his viewer base, in you all, from the very beginning. He knew someone would record and gather up the pix as they arrived and make them available for others to flip through. He had to have, for he supplied no way for us to go back in Time. Those of you who did that work, you are the manifestation of what GLR believed would happen, and you should be as chirping proud of yourselves as I am of you. And that's a seaish amount -- not just ourseaish, but otherseaish.

"HE KNEW!" I told my best lady when LaPetite showed up in the last frames of the Fading, when everything was so white that she was utterly indiscernible. He knew somewhere, people would be doing pixel-level analysis and frame-by-frame differentials, and they would find her. And to those of you who made that possible, I thank you. I thank you deeply for being the fulfillment of GLR's belief. Without you, I would not have been wondering and wondering what she was up to all the while that Cueball and Megan (sorry, I can't write or say either of the Benniferizations) were off adventuring. That was the seed you planted of the wowterful elation I was to feel when she reappeared so triumphantly on the sandcastle boat.

"HE KNEW!" I told her again when the Long Night came, and the stars were out (most of them), and the community was hard at work. He knew someone would check the constellations and the planets and the arcs and the axes. I don't know if he anticipated the OTT as it came to be -- how could anyone have? -- or how quickly the community would figure out his puzzle, but he knew it would happen.

"HE KNOWS!" I told her, riffing on my own words in imitation of the OTT fashion, when the Beanish language appeared. "He knows they'll be analyzing every dot and line. He knows they'll be trying to decode it." And, of course, you were. *I* knew, in my turn, that the efforts would be rewarded. It was another gift from GLR to the community he knew would be there to receive it. There was no way it was going to be just a bunch of squiggles.

I showed her the visualizations of Rosetta's speech, and she was impressed. (She developed a strong opinion about her name, BTW, preferring Rosetta to Hairdo by a salt-sea-basin mile.) I showed her the map sequence and about how the OTT had figured out EXACTLY where they were, the actual building they were standing in, BEFORE the new coastline was even revealed. I showed her the pictures of the castle. Her eyes flashed with excitement when I told her the title text had changed.

When she called me at work a week ago, I answered the phone with "T*** e**ed." And she replied with "Aww! Well wait and tell me about it in person tonight. I want to hear all about it." And she really did. Hear about it, I mean. I told her it felt so sudden, like trying to climb the last step that isn't really there. We agreed that it was because we couldn't see it coming, because we didn't know how long it all was supposed to last. In a book we would have known we were nearing the last page. In a movie we would have heard the tender wrapping-things-up music (or just looked at the clock) and known the e** was near. I missed the top of the stairs because I was climbing blindfolded. I had no idea how high the staircase went, and I had been climbing so confidently for so long that I had entirely forgotten my initial caution and the inevitability that they would eventually run out.

In retrospect, it's a fine, fine e**ing -- a poignant moment between our two beloved main characters followed by a note both hopeful and thematic. But when it happened, right then when the Voldeframe appeared, I was completely, 100% expecting to "see what's through [t]here." And not seeing it made me sad. I'm not sad now, but rather grateful for the experience. To feel loss, I have to experience something treeish enough that I don't want to lose it. Loved and lost and whatnot, I guess, but I will not be sorry to have followed the OTC and the OTT. It's impossible.

My best lady didn't enjoy the OTC and the OTT as much as I did, but she sure did enjoy seeing me experience it all and report on it. I couldn't join in the thread. It would have killed me. I'm the sort who can't stop once I start some things. (Witness this post!) It was all I could do to pull away from here when I was only an observer. If I'd have joined, I'd have turned out like how we thought Beardo was going to look.

I hope earnestly that I have not rehashed too extensively or uninterestingly things that have been said already. I did spend a seaish amount of time following the OTT, but not nearly as much as it would have taken to follow it all. But I felt like one of you. I called my pups wolpies last night and my best lady grinned. I was late for a concert a week ago *looks at clock* RIGHT NOW, I was stuck in traffic, and I made a wrong turn *because I was raving to her about how awesome the OTT was*. I was muttering "Chirping chirp!" the whole way. (Please forgive me for using the past tense in reference to the OTT there, it was last Friday and that's how it seemed at the time. I'm not going to the basement!)

Let me say one more time thank you to this community for being what GLR knew you would be. For all the faith you showed in him, you deserve cubic kilocues of credit for justifying his faith in you. Whether you built the tools or maniped the pix or suppressed the flames or handed out cake or any of the other thousands of amazing things that have happened here, you are absochirpinglutely the ones he did it for. I truly believe that when GLR made the OTC and put it in motion, he knew he was doing it for *someone*, but he didn't know who. It turned out to be you.

And I feel Randamned lucky to have been even this, the tiniest part of "you."

Thanks for reading.

Tearfully,

-- intheshax

(ETC: At the insistence of my best lady that I quote her correctly, the words "in person" have been inserted above in the appropriate place. I also fixed a couple of typos that crept in as my post traversed the intertubes)

This was wonderful to read intheshax! I have on occasion told my fiance about the OTT and OTC. Most recently last nip after them asking "what is there still to talk about now that it's T** E**?". They don't get it. I'm glad to see you've had better luck there :)

buffygirl wrote:@schwartzbewithyou re: Monomolpy pieces:
schwartzbewithyou wrote:I give you... Monomolpy pieces, installment 3!! Now with new and improved sand-moving abilities
Spoiler:
Those are looking FAB!!!
So:
Instead of a shoe -- a hat.
Instead of a dog -- a molpy (the BlitzGirl original molpy might be perfect!)
Instead of a car -- ??
Instead of an iron -- a dilgunnerang
Instead of a boat -- ??

I am too lazy to go back and look at previous suggestions ..... One of the forms of transportation (car, boat) could be a raft?
or has it all already been agreed upon and I missed it?

Thank you buffygirl! I went back through the forum postings to see what all had been suggested. I don't think any *official* decisions were made, but I also had some PM discussions with k.bookbinder regarding them. With making something into a shiny silver piece, you lose some visual cues about what things actually are, so a bag or dilgunnerang might not look like much as a monomolpy piece.. I do have plans in the works for one of the molpies, a trebuchet, and a raft. A yurt and sandcastle were suggested for the houses and hotels. Stay tuned for more!

Angelastic wrote:Re: monomolpy: Apparently, they're replacing the iron with a cat, so that should be Lucky.
How convenient! Working on it...

Thank you everyone for so many amazing displays of OTT creativity! I don't know about anyone else, but for all the OTTercomics, I keep mousing over them expecting some witty alt-text.

Phew. That was a lot. Carry on...

Spoiler:
heresy.jpg

ketchup.jpg
ketchup.jpg (1.89 KiB) Viewed 21335 times
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

And now for some OTColored manips!

Frame 2375mscha
Spoiler:

Frame 1934mscha
Spoiler:

Redundant-:
Spoiler:
2375 OTColored.png