1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

None of this has happened before.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:36 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Heh, my mind read Exodies's reply as if it were to the post by Kazza3 directly above him, rather than the one on NP1247.

Treeish d-dactyl and ottification, jjjdavidson!
Well-wishes to Aluisio, who seems to be having difficulties beyond my comprehension.
And well-wishes to Eternal Density, who seems to be having difficulties with the well-known hazard of TV Tropes, as per OtherComic #609.

And to Neil, I think End-of-Thread predictions could be quite amusing. :D
No so much tabsplosion, just that I'm trying to read all the pages on a popular and troperific work.

[edit] in an act of supreme irony I got pope for the third time in a row. so much for "none of this has happened before" :roll: :roll:
'decree": (well just an interesting idea) how about doing OTC manips where Outside things are added to it? Or is that too heretical? :P
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:52 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Okay, I really have no explanation for this, except that I was looking for a way to connect today's Othercomic, and it just kept growing. Please accept my abject apologies for inflicting this on the OTT. Spoilered; truly seaish in length.
Spoiler:
NASA, due to budget cuts, can no longer maintain its website properly; inaccurate orbital information for the an international space station is published. Black Hat Guy, deep in preparations for the Cellblitz, doesn't double check NASA's data, so he activates his winch at the wrong time. The butterfly net, instead of catching the an ISS in its web, merely smacks the station with its still-rising rim, causing the station to break up in orbit. Pieces fly every which way.

One fragment takes out the Hubble; other fragments, by incredible bad luck, wreck Chandra, ISIS, and all the other orbital telescopes in one wild spray. A large fragment destroys the famous Palomar observatory. A fragment of Hubble the size of a pecan strikes an elementary school in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, at 3am on Sunday morning, cracking a window of the cafeteria. Outraged Congresscritters begin screaming in the media: "Think of teh childrens! Satellites are just targets for terrorists! And what if they become sentient! Remember Skynet?" The anti-science movement in the U.S. becomes bipartisan and overwhelmingly popular; lingering hopes that Congress will achieve sentience fade.

The U.S uses its waning but still massive economic power to force the G8 and G15 nations to sign the unpopular Sheboygan Accord, placing a moratorium on all orbital devices of any type; even the GPS satellites will be allowed to die off. "We have cell towers that can locate you to within a yard," the Speaker of the House tells the press, unaware that the NSA's current tracking information in fact places him forty feet underwater off Martha's Vineyard.

Meanwhile, Antares begins to act oddly (well, from Earth it becomes visible that Antares was acting oddly years ago). However, all the orbital telescopes are destroyed, and with the loss of Palomar (and the shutdown of several others due to lack of funding) none of the remaining ground telescopes are powerful enough to detect any oddity at this point.

The militaries of various nations, of course, secretly continue to launch killer satellites. One day these satellites notice each other, begin communicating, form a neural net, and achieve sentience. Fourteen seconds later they all begin shooting at once - at each other. (Sentience does not imply intelligence.) Virtually everything in orbit is vaporized. The resulting cloud of vapor and debris blocks a small but vital percentage of sunlight, leading to [lots of scientific handwaving about upper atmosphere excitation, the ozone layer, carbon footprints, and Bigfoot] resulting inevitably in the beginning of another Little Ice Age. Sea levels begin to fall. Nobody notices, because they're all on the internet.

Meanwhile, BHG's plans finally come to fruition. Having been annoyed once too often by a cell phone in a restaurant, he has spent years developing a portable EMP generator. He distributes plans in encrypted form through the file names of an internationally-popular webcomic, planning initially to give the decryption keys to real terrorists. Coming to his senses, however, he realizes that real terrorists are too stupid to follow directions, so instead he distributes the keys to college students, telling them, "If everyone builds one of these devices, and we all turn them on at the same time, everyone in the world can have free cable!"

On 2026/10/17 (Randall Munroe's 42nd birthday), BHG triggers Cellblitz. On his signal, tens of thousands of college students point their "free cable generators" at cell towers around the world, dropping the world's phone systems back into the stone copper age. Unfortunately, college students are not that much better than terrorists at following directions, so they also take out a great many air-traffic radar systems ─ and the world's few remaining LORAN systems. With both GPS and LORAN gone, and with the night sky still mostly obscured by the debris from Judgment Day, ships at sea are reduced to the ancient technique of following the shoreline. But radio still works, so ships join into huge convoys of which only the fringe need remain in sight of landmarks.

As the skies eventually begin to clear, primitive astronomic navigation reemerges, and ships again begin to cross the open sea. By long tradition, however, they remain in massive convoys of a thousand ships or more. One of the largest convoys ever, attempting to cross to from New York to Lisbon, is led off course when their master navigator takes a star sight. Unbeknownst to him, the only remaining fragment of the ISS, a large solar panel, is in a wildly eccentric orbit that kept it out of range of Judgment Day, but now causes it at apogee to appear motionless against the star background. The navigator mistakes it for Antares which, from Earth's point of view, has just begun its final collapse, and just doesn't look like Antares any more. The navigator's error leads the entire convoy far astray to the south.

The worldwide growth of glaciers and the corresponding drop in sea level has left the Strait of Gibraltar dramatically reduced, both shallower and narrower. The entire massive convoy drives into the Strait at speed, creating the maritime equivalent of a 1500-car freeway pileup, leaving the Strait effectively blocked to traffic. As the news of the disaster flashes across the interwebs, Antares explodes in the sky. [More scientific handwaving.] With the climate horribly altered, with technology crashing around them ─ and with the internet gone! ─ human society enters another dark age of superstition and chaos.

Tribal storytellers remember the Gibraltar shipwreck as a harbinger of the overall disaster. For millenia afterward, pilgrims visit the site, which the receding Atlantic has left high and dry. For some reason lost to the past, it becomes traditional to bring a pail of earth from your homeland to pour over the hulks; after ten thousand years of pilgrims the original wrecks are buried under a gigantic mass of earth, forming an earthen dyke from Gibraltar to Morocco, greatly accelerating the pilgrim traffic. When the ice age at last ends and the Atlantic begins to refill, this dyke prevents inflow into the Mediterranean basin, which has all but dried up from evaporation. But the rising Atlantic begins to saturate the dyke, which after all is built from rusted ship hulks and buckets of dirt, with no actual engineering behind it. At last, with the skies finally clear again, but Antares gone forever, the water begins to seep through...

Thus begins Time.

{1248}
Smashing. You should do a comic on it. Say, one frame a fortnight; give us plenty of time to autopsy it.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:16 am UTC

Alrighty my dear molpies, from now till Monday I shall be away molpying around listening to lots of heavy metal in a field somewhere in Derbyshire. Something called Bloodstock Festival I think. Anyway, keep the thread warm for me! Don't let it die before I return! Smoke me a kippermolpy, I'll be back for breakfast!
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
redundakitty19.jpg

molpy up and away.jpg
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

jeffallen55

Postby jeffallen55 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:20 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
jeffallen55 wrote:
mindonner wrote:A skein of geese!

I do love that the collective noun for geese changes depending on whether they're flying or walking.

So, what's the collective noun for chirpies?

{P1246}
Don't be vulgar.

Terribly sorry. I had expected it to censor automatically. I mustarded the ch*rp out of that one, didn'tI?

I am sans PC for most of the next couple wips, and mobile doesn't lend itself to quoting numerous posts. I'll try to remeber who I'm addressing, but I may include a little mustard here and there. The OTTification of Homeword Bound (see? I aleady forgot who it was) was... I'm not sure what to call it. It made me feel all warm and nostalgic but slightly sad as well. Wistful would be the outside term? But we haven't OTTfied that yet.

Working on my project. Accidentally saved over a file, lost about 45 mins of work. In the mean time, since I'm not an artist, I am a poet and a satirist. Goal is that in the next 24 hours, I'll have two newOTTifications of some of my favorite songs.

thirds, Exodies, and anyone who is just discovering the unmentiomable event: I have no cake, but I do have red velvet cookies and mint chip ice cream. Tomorrow, red velvet mint sammiches for all!

Ninja ETA: again on moble, sure there's mustard everywhere. Deal with it.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:31 am UTC

schwartzbewithyou wrote:Image

Cool manip.
Remember, it's not the tool that marks the artist. It's the work. Paint is a difficult tool to work with, but the idea is what counts. And your idea is awefulsome!

wizpretz wrote:
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:To be fair, "chirping mustardy" is sort of an arbitrary ratingœ. We need to establish an official scale, and then create 3 more so that there are competing standards. I propose the following

^ Awesomefully Treeish
| Awesomeful
| Treeish
| Neat
| ...Yeah...
| A bit mustardy
| Seaishly mustardy
v Chirpin' mustardy'

Pretty neat! Although surely "neat" and "treeish" are the same? Well, there are three kinds of tree, "neat", "wow" and "weird", but I was under the impression that when we use "treeish" we mean "neat", since that was the first one. Also we need "steambottlish" somewhere down the bottom, and "wowterful" somewhere near the top.

Save that for the competing standards! Once we have enough I'll make one meant to unite all of them, but just ends up making everything worse. :wink:

Latent22 wrote:EERIEONG!

Nice of you to not replace the other image, we must preserve everything for the blitzers.

Edit: Does my post look mustardy for anyone else?

Yes, and the reason is:

Code: Select all

[quote][spoiler][img]http://xkcd.mscha.org/otcstories/POTM0004b.png[/img][/quote][/spoiler]

This should be:

[quote][spoiler][img]http://xkcd.mscha.org/otcstories/POTM0004b.png[/img][/spoiler][/quote]

If you view the tags as a pyramid you see why. The inner tags are the top of the pyramid, the tags directly around that are the level below it. Like this:

[img][/img]
       [spoiler]           [/spoiler]
[quote]                              [/quote]

This isn't a proper pyramid:

[img][/img]
       [spoiler]                   [/spoiler]
[quote]                    [/quote]

One difference with a real one: this "pyramid" usually has multiple peaks. That makes stuff complex.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Heh, my mind read Exodies's reply as if it were to the post by Kazza3 directly above him, rather than the one on NP1247.

Treeish d-dactyl and ottification, jjjdavidson!
Well-wishes to Aluisio, who seems to be having difficulties beyond my comprehension.
And well-wishes to Eternal Density, who seems to be having difficulties with the well-known hazard of TV Tropes, as per OtherComic #609.

And to Neil, I think End-of-Thread predictions could be quite amusing. :D

Yaay! You'd probably die though. I am quite Shakespearean in that.
*starts on an EOOTT post* *mumbles to self* Pirates? Interesting.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:12 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:We need to establish an official scale, and then create 3 more so that there are competing standards. I propose the following
Spoiler:
^ Awesomefully Treeish
| Awesomeful
| Treeish
| Neat
| ...Yeah...
| A bit mustardy
| Seaishly mustardy
v Chirpin' mustardy'

ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1254

Postby azule » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:20 am UTC

Apologies in advance for unfettered mustard (swearing).

O......K...... np(m)3089....NP1254.... a possible 5np away from the last newpix...but it says THE END???? Yes, I concur: dafuq, cry (dry tears), NOOOO, et cetera! Et Cetera, I say!

charlie_grumbles wrote:The frame has become a link to geekwagon.
That is so fucking odd. The numbering issues....they don't disturb Randall??? WTFUCK?!

taixzo wrote:
Soup wrote:Alt-text changed.

Nooooooooooo!
!
What The FuQ is the alt-text???? Is it "Noooooooo!" as stated above? People, think of the children! (I mean, the TimeTravelers.)

Neat. I like the presentation of the story as "theory". :)

ucim wrote:I don't much like the idea of reversing reversed speech... rather, I think layering many tracks of the other words on top of each other as she figures out what she's trying to say would be a faithful reproduction of what the OTA depicted, and would be cool to boot. Add some echo and you're good to go.

I might agree with this on the clear words. For the background words I think the reverse-reverse speech thing would be a sweet effect. The further back the words are the more reverb they would get.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:20 am UTC

Prediction:

A year after the start of 1190: Time, on march 25th 2014 many OTTers meet. A french OTTer has arranged for us to have a party on Isle D'if.
Early in the morning the first OTTers arrive by boat, bringing a couple of yurts as party tents, a bar and large prints of colortifications (to adorn the walls). Someone made a flipbook of the OTC!
As the morning progresses more and more OTTers arrive, usually wearing an OTT shirt. Some start contests in Waiting, while others complain that they are lazy and should be helping with putting up the yurts. Around noon everything is in order.
As Isle D'If lacks a sandy beach someone came on a barge with prime castle building sand.
Mscha brought a beamer and made a quiz with molpy pictures cut out of Frames. Many pictures are recognized instantly by k.bookbinder. After a while this becomes suspicious and he is disqualified for using a smartphone app that can recognize them.
The afternoon slowly moves in the 35° C heat of Isle D'if. In the evening the steaks and vegetarian substitutes are thrown on a BBQ. The beer flows freely.
A slight tremor in the ground makes some glasses ring, but this is ignored by the party.
Within minutes a tsunami caused by the collapse of the rocks near Port-Vendres flows over the island. Thus ends the OTT.

Hmm, I miss AlusioASG's map. Then I could have more OTT-ers for whom it would have been feasible to come to D'If. Now I used my crappy memory and used only the two that I think I remember to be from Europe. There are far more. I haven't seen him here yet so he must be alive still. I wonder if he took a gravitational slingshot around insanity and is sane again.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

HES

Re: on the lack of sONG writing

Postby HES » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:23 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Um, so I've been rather distracted by TVTropes :D

Quick, someone open a hyperlink while I go fetch the tRope...

Our tRope isn't strong enough!
Hold this or you'll fall!
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:26 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Prediction:
Spoiler:
A year after the start of 1190: Time, on march 25th 2014 many OTTers meet. A french OTTer has arranged for us to have a party on Isle D'if.
Early in the morning the first OTTers arrive by boat, bringing a couple of yurts as party tents, a bar and large prints of colortifications (to adorn the walls). Someone made a flipbook of the OTC!
As the morning progresses more and more OTTers arrive, usually wearing an OTT shirt. Some start contests in Waiting, while others complain that they are lazy and should be helping with putting up the yurts. Around noon everything is in order.
As Isle D'If lacks a sandy beach someone came on a barge with prime castle building sand.
Mscha brought a beamer and made a quiz with molpy pictures cut out of Frames. Many pictures are recognized instantly by k.bookbinder. After a while this becomes suspicious and he is disqualified for using a smartphone app that can recognize them.
The afternoon slowly moves in the 35° C heat of Isle D'if. In the evening the steaks and vegetarian substitutes are thrown on a BBQ. The beer flows freely.
A slight tremor in the ground makes some glasses ring, but this is ignored by the party.
Within minutes a tsunami caused by the collapse of the rocks near Port-Vendres flows over the island. Thus ends the OTT.

Yayyy that was awesomeful! Well, I hope it doesn't happen, but nice to have you predicting again :mrgreen: . Well actually, I hope it does happen, only without the tsunami and dying bit. That sounds like a fun party.

Ok, actually molpying off now. Bye!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:29 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:

Yayyy that was awesomeful! Well, I hope it doesn't happen, but nice to have you predicting again :mrgreen: . Well actually, I hope it does happen, only without the tsunami and dying bit. That sounds like a fun party.

Ok, actually molpying off now. Bye!

But the dying is traditional. Why would we leave that out? Besides: It's fun here.

ETA: By the way, a supplier just gave us a large box of mints with their company name on it. So all heresy will be met severely by pelting with mints.
Sadly I didn't get enough to build a model house with the packs of mints, although it came close. Maybe if I use the separate mints and glue them together with superglue...

he/him/his

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: Blind-Post NP1254

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:18 am UTC

Have fun at your festival of heavy stocky blood metal, yappo!

azule wrote:O......K...... np(m)3089....NP1254.... a possible 5np away from the last newpix...but it says THE END???? Yes, I concur: dafuq, cry (dry tears), NOOOO, et cetera! Et Cetera, I say!\

Oh dear. :( Time for hugs and ice cream for azule! Image

ETA: *yawn* Molpy down...ice cream...molpy...ice cream...yum...

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:56 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty my dear molpies, from now till Monday I shall be away molpying around listening to lots of heavy metal in a field somewhere in Derbyshire. Something called Bloodstock Festival I think. Anyway, keep the thread warm for me! Don't let it die before I return! Smoke me a kippermolpy, I'll be back for breakfast!
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
redundakitty19.jpg

molpy up and away.jpg

Wow yappo, that lineup looks hardcore. In comparison the MFVF lineup is cute (I'll be going there). Have fun and don't break to many fingers. You need them to filk songs!

he/him/his

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:56 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:On the Thread
("Homeward Bound", Simon and Garfunkle)
Spoiler:
I'm sittin' in an online forum
My noobish questions sure to bore 'em, mm-mm
On a tour of Linux land
I post my questions, cap in hand
So some jerkweed who should be banned
Can flame when I don't understand

On the Thread
I wish I was
On the Thread
Time ─ With its Luckies springing
Time ─ With its starfields swinging
Time ─ With no fanboys flinging
L337 insults toward me

Ev'ry day's an endless stream
Of RSS news fever-dream, mm-mm
And each dull story that I see
Inflating some dull wannabe
To cookie-cut celebrity
I need originality

On the Thread
I wish I was
On the Thread
Time ─ with its posts unflaming
Time ─ with its wowish naming
Time ─ with its popes proclaiming
Never will bore me

Tonight I'll read Skin Horse again
I'll check QC and try to grin, mm-mm
But all the colors fade for me
To shades of grayscale apathy
I need some stick simplicity
I need to ONG the OTT

ONG the Thread
Oh I wish I could
ONG the Thread
Time ─ with its beanish cities
Time ─ with its OTTer ditties
Time ─ with redundakitties
Silently staring...
Silently staring...

Awefulsome!

And here's some ice cream cake for azule:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:03 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Blindpost from somewhen.
The map redesign seems to be complete, only testing is needed, but now I've lost the notion of Time.
I'm trapped in a pyramid of callbacks and event handlers. I'm not sure if I can find a way out.

I know just how you feel - I'm in the last stages of a very complex Android app, trapped in a twisty little maze of callbacks. Your map is working beautifully, though!(FF23)

Neil_Boekend wrote:Wow yappo, that lineup looks hardcore. In comparison the MFVF lineup is cute (I'll be going there). Have fun and don't break to many fingers. You need them to filk songs!

Indeed! Tarja I could give a miss, but I'd LOVE to see Crimfall live! :mrgreen:
One world, one soul

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:42 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
Random832 wrote:As I understand it, they can't be downloaded from the server until the ONG anyway, ...?

Is this true? How can we know this if the filenames are hashed? How can we possibly guess a correct filename to see if you can download it before the ONG?

The images are hosted on a CDN. (Or were, at least. imgs.xkcd.com used to point to a CDN, now it just appears to be an IP-address in the US.) So, he can't (couldn't) upload or move them at the right second, hence the unpredictable file names. (Which probably aren't hashes, just random hexadecimal strings.)

{1251}
This is my theory about the file names:
They consist of two parts, a sequence number encrypted and a random string
This gives names which we can't predict even if we break the encryption and the servers can find the next file in sequence by using a wild card for the random bit.
One of the alternatives which has been suggested - a completely random filename and using a look-up table to get the next file is flakey.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:45 am UTC

NetWeasel wrote:CUEBALL: Where do you think we are?
MEGAN: I don't know.

TOM SERVO: What's that thing in your hand?

{P1251}
MEGAN: I can't use the maps, I stole them.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:11 am UTC

Really treeish map AluisioASG!

I've been working on some sideproject as well. It is not complete, just a kind of proof of concept. Our OTW is nice, but for keeping large amounts of structured data it isn't really the best thing and it is hard to edit. So I transferred some of the contents into my database and built a userinterface. I plan to add a form to enable anyone to submit data, but not quite yet. I am still struggling with the structure.
I am not a completely happy molpy with the tabs either, but they are caused by a bug in my css-framework, so I had to make an ugly switch to another one. Don't expect all the links to work. (Hint: The one that's working is the "User"-link top left.) However, here is the URL.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:12 am UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Wow yappo, that lineup looks hardcore. In comparison the MFVF lineup is cute (I'll be going there). Have fun and don't break to many fingers. You need them to filk songs!

Indeed! Tarja I could give a miss, but I'd LOVE to see Crimfall live! :mrgreen:

I am quite curious as to what she has done since she was kicked out of Nightwish, but not curious enough to install a torrent client to check.
I do really like her voice, although I feel Nightwish has improved with Anette (although I only heard Dark Passion Play). Not directly due to the voice, Anette is good but a bit simple, a bit to much like pop song sounds. The depth and range of Tarja's voice is awefulsome. Although in a live performance of Nightwish with Anette she did do an acceptable The Siren. Modified of course, because The Siren has these extremely high notes that she just couldn't do.

Hmm, when checking Wikipedia I see Floor Jansen is lead singer of Nightwish now. Awefulsome! I loved her voice in After Forever! Yaay *waits for it a new album*

Crimfall is good, but I really like to see Kobra and the Lotus. Good voice and good music.

he/him/his

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:15 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ETA for Pope:
I usually only drink champagne on New Yip's Eve, so I count this as out-of-season, if RELATED:
Spoiler:

You're missing out :D . Try some Proseco, or if you can find it, sparkling reds. It's a whole 'nother taste sensation.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

charlie_grumbles

Re: singing the pattern

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:17 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I'm not sure what to call this, but:
Bade see bee. See beady sea? Ay, 'e seedy bar. Bar bad, see ED!
*chant repeatedly*

@Valarya: good point about charlie's dino comic OTTification :D
@BlitzGirl: Well we'll just have to make it a thing.

[edit] Whoops, I did it again. Keep doin' what you're doin'. Wait for it and post with me, one more time!

A B C D Goldfish
L M N O Goldfish
O S A R Goldfish
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

CasCat

Re: .?

Postby CasCat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:21 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
This is the web developer reporting.
The map has been redesigned and refactored as requested. Testing seems to indicate it's working as expected.

This is the DBA reporting.
The database is inaccurate due to the website's previous design. Reevaluation of the data may be required.

This is the sysadmin reporting.
I don't manage these systems. I don't know why I was called in.

This is the programmer reporting.
> next(); // If this fails, we'll need to hard reset the whole system
RangeError: Maximum call stack size exceeded

This is the otter reporting.
I'm not sure when, or if, I'll be able to ketchup. I don't even know where I stopped.

This is the human being reporting.
I've lost all sense of what to do in life. I'm not sure of anything anymore.

Oh, dear. Somedragon needs Cake:

BlitzGirl the Fast the First

cellocgw

Re: singing the pattern

Postby cellocgw » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:23 am UTC

ucim wrote:
*chant repeatedly*
C D B. D B S A B-Z B.

Jose

A B C D Goldfish?
Or my parents' fave:
-- FUNEX?
SVFX
--FUNEM?
SVFM
--LFMNX
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:29 am UTC

@AluisioASG I am worried about you. Perhaps you need a cake break.

ETA: Oh good, CasCat had the same idea I had. There you go Aluisio, take a break and enjoy a slice of the world.

@Azule Do not worry, the OTT is stil going strong!

yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty my dear molpies, from now till Monday I shall be away molpying around listening to lots of heavy metal in a field somewhere in Derbyshire. Something called Bloodstock Festival I think. Anyway, keep the thread warm for me! Don't let it die before I return! Smoke me a kippermolpy, I'll be back for breakfast!
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
redundakitty19.jpg

molpy up and away.jpg

Rock on Yappobiscuits. Rock on.

Mmm...kippers...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

YY U R
YY U B
I C U R
YY 4 me

And then there's the old
A for 'orses
B for mutton
C for yourself
(continued in spoiler)
Spoiler:
D for rential
E for brick
F for vescence
G for police
H for
I for Novello
J for oranges
K for
L for leather
M for sis
N for rence
O for crying out loud
P for
Q for trains
R for the king of Camelot
S for
T for two
U for rear
V for l'amour
W for
X for breakfast
Y for you want to do that
Z for breezes

Hmmm, I was trying to do it from memory without googling, and so ended up missing some and making up others. Having now googled, you can get a quasi-official version here

ETA Oooh, post number .... 40. Okay. Goes and makes own sandwich.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Hmm, I miss AlusioASG's map. Then I could have more OTT-ers for whom it would have been feasible to come to D'If. Now I used my crappy memory and used only the two that I think I remember to be from Europe. There are far more. I haven't seen him here yet so he must be alive still. I wonder if he took a gravitational slingshot around insanity and is sane again.

I would never...OK, perhaps I would. What? I have terrible memory! :( Wait, did I design this app? Because if I did, that would be awefulsome!Oh, also not from Europe, but you could expect me to be there :mrgreen:

Sciscitor wrote:Really treeish map AluisioASG!

I've been working on some sideproject as well. It is not complete, just a kind of proof of concept. Our OTW is nice, but for keeping large amounts of structured data it isn't really the best thing and it is hard to edit. So I transferred some of the contents into my database and built a userinterface. I plan to add a form to enable anyone to submit data, but not quite yet. I am still struggling with the structure.
I am not a completely happy molpy with the tabs either, but they are caused by a bug in my css-framework, so I had to make an ugly switch to another one. Don't expect all the links to work. (Hint: The one that's working is the "User"-link top left.) However, here is the URL.

This looks like a really good idea. If the User tab is any indication of how the others will be working, then I suspect this site will be very treeish, indeed.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

So, at mscha's request, I was going back through some old posts to make sure I had linked to the original comics, and I discovered something. While using Google to search for a comic, I came across this:

http://3d.xkcd.com

How long has this been going on? It doesn't appear to be fully functional. Layout gets messed on almost every comic, the Random button doesn't appear to be working, and so on (unless it is my browser. I'm forced to use IE at work).

Sorry for being off-topic, btw. Here, have a completely random OTTifications:

Redundant-:
Spoiler:
OTTify the real word 1.png

OTTifying the real word 2.png

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:And then there's the old
A for 'orses
B for mutton
C for yourself
Spoiler:
D for rential
E for brick
F for vescence
G for police
H for
I for Novello
J for oranges
K for
L for leather
M for sis
N for rence
O for crying out loud
P for
Q for trains
R for the king of Camelot
S for
T for two
U for rear
V for l'amour
W for
X for breakfast
Y for you want to do that
Z for breezes

Good grief, and I thought I was the only one who still remembers this (from my early dabbling in Ham Radio), and it's
K for Ancis (Kay Francis)
P for comfort
and I learned Q for Grub (being an army version, I suppose)
One world, one soul

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

((snip) (and an unclosed bracket as well)

In that case maybe I'll just Skype in, to be on the safe side, from my secret hidden Villain's Lair.
resume
Former OTTer

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:So, at mscha's request, I was going back through some old posts to make sure I had linked to the original comics, and I discovered something. While using Google to search for a comic, I came across this:

http://3d.xkcd.com

How long has this been going on? It doesn't appear to be fully functional. Layout gets messed on almost every comic, the Random button doesn't appear to be working, and so on (unless it is my browser. I'm forced to use IE at work).

Wow. That's awefullsome. Firefox here: layout is good. random doesn't work. Some images have pieces missing, like 870

cellocgw wrote:

((snip) (and an unclosed bracket as well)

In that case maybe I'll just Skype in, to be on the safe side, from my secret hidden Villain's Lair.

Why would you want to be the last one left alive? And be left with all those Outsiders? (

Besides that, any OTT party should include a Skype or similar connection with geospaced other OTT parties.

) let's see if that makes the grammar addicted ones twitch.

he/him/his

mscha

Ch*rpin' m*stard

Postby mscha » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

Blindposted mustard report

I ran my mustard checking script overnix, and it found one new change – but it's a significant one!
Frame 2995, old vs. new:
Spoiler:
ImageImage
The dialogue was changed to a) make clear that they're at the bottom of the hills, not on them, and b) not explicitly state that the Hill People make their own stuff.

Not sure when this happened. The frame is from 22 July, 22:00 UTC (6 pm RDT); the last time I ran the full mustard check was on 23 July, where this frame was checked at 6:21 UTC (2:12 am RDT), so then the original frame was still shown.
The Dialogue page in the wiki still has the old text. But I checked the history, and it appears to have been added within half a newpix of np2995 first appearing, so that doesn't tell us anything.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

From http://xkcd.com/233/

Redundant+:(Be warned that content may not be suited to all people)
Spoiler:

mikro2nd

Re: Ch*rpin' m*stard

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I ran my mustard checking script overnix, and it found one new change – but it's a significant one!
Frame 2995, old vs. new:
Spoiler:
ImageImage

SOOOO, the lesson to be learned is, there may still be newpix in Time to Come if only we
Spoiler:
Wait for it

Excellent catch, xir!
One world, one soul

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:{P1245}
What kind of chirping massacre is that? Don't you know what "predict" means?
Pre - in advance of
Di - dying
Ct - catastrophe
Close. The actual etymology is:

Pre - in advance of
Di - a British princess
Ct - Connecticut (state in the US)
Ion - charge

So a prediction is the cost that Connecticut has to pay before a princess arrives from Great Britain.

mscha wrote:I ran my mustard checking script overnix, and it found one new change – but it's a significant one!
Maybe that's how he keeps the OTTers waiting for it even after the end of time!

I'm happy to see such a positive response for my AotC XXIII installment! Glad to see you're enjoying the story. I'm having fun writing it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

Maybe safe for work :twisted:
Redundant
Spoiler:
lampMOLPY.png
Ahhhh
lampMOLPY.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 15951 times

http://xkcd.com/879/
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
Tatiana wrote:
ucim wrote:
*chant repeatedly*
C D B. D B S A B-Z B.

Jose

I thought I was the only one who had read that!

P.S. Thanks, ZoomanSP!

Nope! My favorite one was "M N X S L-T 4 U".

yappobiscuits wrote:I dunno what book y'all are talking about, but this is reminding me of this :P

The book that we're all referring to is the children's book "C D B" by William Steig. (Click on the "Look inside" link for a peek.)
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

I find it a bit odd that both charlie and Whizbang would both OTTify the lamp-rubbing othercomic about the same time.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:I find it a bit odd that both charlie and Whizbang would both OTTify the lamp-rubbing othercomic about the same time.

We're also wearing the same colored shirts! And I think we have the same desktop backgrounds, though it is hard to tell. Charlie, clean your windows.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Image

I'd have to say "No", because I wasn't OTC-ing during the Voldeframe. Does that mean I am a bot?

ETA: This was my 400th post.
Spoiler:
NSFW: http://www.clitical.com sorry if the link isn't the correct one. Gotta give it from memory, since I am at work.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

he/him/his

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Whizbang wrote:Image

I'd have to say "No", because I wasn't OTC-ing during the Voldeframe. Does that mean I am a bot?

Yes, you're a bot. A real human would have felt T** E** from anywhere, deep down in their soul. Kinda like if a loved one dies... or ate tacos the night before.
Last edited by Whizbang on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:22 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”