1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Latent22

Re: Ch*rpin' m*stard

Postby Latent22 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Blindposted mustard report

I ran my mustard checking script overnix, and it found one new change – but it's a significant one!
Frame 2995, old vs. new:
Spoiler:
ImageImage
The dialogue was changed to a) make clear that they're at the bottom of the hills, not on them, and b) not explicitly state that the Hill People make their own stuff.

Not sure when this happened. The frame is from 22 July, 22:00 UTC (6 pm RDT); the last time I ran the full mustard check was on 23 July, where this frame was checked at 6:21 UTC (2:12 am RDT), so then the original frame was still shown.
The Dialogue page in the wiki still has the old text. But I checked the history, and it appears to have been added within half a newpix of np2995 first appearing, so that doesn't tell us anything.

I downloaded that frame on the 24th of July at 9:53am UTC and it was the updated current version then. So that gives us a 27 hour window where it could have been changed.

TheMinim

Re: Beacon Alpha for Time Travelers

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:This is a post from the Time Foundation. Once you reach this post, please report to the Future Present that you've reached Beacon Alpha.

I have traveled here from 1996 to say this - I have reached Beacon Alpha. So we're going Greek style, huh?
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Fictioneer wrote:"So they went off together. But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on top of the Forest, a little boy and his bear will always be playing"

{P1261}
I read these stories many times to my kiddie and could never get past the ending without choking.

Time ended for me while I was listening for the first time to Roger Water's "Each Small Candle". Didn't pay attention to the words, but it seemed very dramatic.

I spose you're all quite cheerful by now up there in the futum.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: Under the Same Stars

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

No longer for decree, but of the Beanies, my favorite is Beanie-1. He's just so cute, in a foreign-exchange student sort of way. Image

TheMinim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, and hi blitzing-the-past Minim!
(I know this is present BlitzGirl and not past BlitzGirl, but I had to say hi back!)

Hi! This is... epsilon...

Indeed it is!

(By the way, at Time of posting this is now the present BlitzGirl writing to past-traveler Minim, but by the Time you read this it will be present Minim coming across a message from past BlitzGirl.)

Exodies wrote:I spose you're all quite cheerful by now up there in the futum.

Not exactly cheerful, but...hopeful, perhaps. Happy to be together.

We're still Waiting for it.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Magdiragdag wrote:<snip>
kryton wrote:Theory: where they are standing is normally underwater, the river retreated a lot and exposed this wonderful sandbar that they are having fun on. the liquid to the right of the frame is a tide-pool like puddle left when the river retreated, though probably a bit stagnant and full of organic riverbottom sludge?

Thought so as well, maybe an oncoming flash flood.

P214: Wow. :shock: So close, but yet so far!
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

thirds

Re: Blocks of Ketchup

Postby thirds » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The Outside wiki says, "A common German practical joke is to secretly fill some Berliners with mustard instead of jam and serve them together with regular Berliners without telling anyone." Ewww.

Cruelty aside, I guess they could be putting in worse things than mustard... Crazy Germans. Note to self: never eat Berliners with Germans

Per decree: I suppose one of my favorite "characters" would be the hapless molpyfly that got eaten by the raptor, because the dialog sequence surrounding it (M2100-M2140) was perhaps the most profound of all of Time.

C: Maybe it's time to turn around. The world is too big. It can go on longer than we can.
M: I'm still going.
C: But one day we won't be. And we're a long way from home. Earlier, I thought you wanted to turn around and go back to the sea.
M: I don't want to go back to it. I want to understand it.
C: By climbing? The sea is down, not up.
M: These bugs have such beautiful wings. You could spend a thousand lifetimes staring at water and sand, thinking as hard as you could, and you'd never guess the world had things like this in it. I wanna see the top.
C: What do you think we'll find?
M: More world, maybe different.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Back on page 199 there is talk of the text directly beneath the name. It is fairly interesting talk.

I think you'll find (in a few years when you finally read this) that those are titles.

Err... years?
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

That might be the hardest part for the Blitzers, experiencing that shock and pain alone. Though surely they should feel comforted by reading all of our posts afterwards, right? To see we were experiencing the same exact thing. The grief, the denial, the shock, the anger, the sadness. :|

Come on, little blitzers. We're all still here, and we have LOTS of present presents for you.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Soup wrote:After Smolloy's Madness-inspired bumps yesterday, it's funny to remember that at one point we were reading all that nonsense without missing a beat!

"OMR, that molpy manip was chirping awfulsome (treeish redundakitty, too). And a steakish OTTification about the seaish mustard a fewpix back."

The nonsense hasn't gone, it's just evolved :P
He/Him/His Image

jeffallen55

Postby jeffallen55 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:{P1258}
These comments are very distraughtning.
I've never felt so alone.

Oh dear. Better get working on my Red Velvet Mint Ice Cream Sandwiches. Also, the OTTification Muse isn't speaking to me today. Perhaps later.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:LandONG
Spoiler:

Hello!

I hope this isn't about to lead to another chirping incident.
He/Him/His Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

{P1262}
In fact the Waters song fits my mood. A little ottification... (I only change one word; minimalism is my creed)
Each Small Candle
Spoiler:
Not the torturer will scare me
Nor the body's final fall
Nor the barrels of death's rifles
Nor the shadows on the wall
Nor the night when to the ground
The last dim star of pain, is hurled
But the blind indifference
Of a merciless, unfeeling Monroe

And also...
Amused To Death
Spoiler:
No tears to cry
No feelings left
This forum has amused itself to death

Finally...
Comfortably Numb
Spoiler:
There is no Tread you are receding
A distant ge-raft on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move
But I can't hear what you say

When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye

I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I... Have become comfortably numb

now I must molpy down.
Spoiler:
ImageNighty night. It's been monumental (with an emphasis on the mental). Love you all.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

AluisioASG

What are *you* doing?

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

This is the sysadmin reporting.

Override 39715 has been authorized.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

FATAL: MISSING OPERATIONAL PLAN
WARNING: 39715 OVERRIDE
Executing self-reassignment procedure…
Waiting for options…

Any suggestions? I was thinking on Adventure.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Angelastic

Re: Mustardly OSH

Postby Angelastic » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

Welcome to the OTTer Scavenger Hunt in Time, hereby abbreviated as OSH... ...let's just stick with OSH.

This is mustard.
Which non-mustard newpix does it also appear in?

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Mustard.png
M*stard
Mustard.png (3.28 KiB) Viewed 11213 times

Redundant.png
Redundalucky
Redundant.png (6.69 KiB) Viewed 11213 times

I don't know whether this OSH has a solution. Newpix of your own creation set after the Voldeframe (thus indicating the mustard was a far-future preview) will also be accepted as answers.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
jeffallen55 wrote:
So, what's the collective noun for chirpies?

If the chirpies are flying, it's a fan; if they're swimming it's a creek; and if they're land-based it's a sack. That's for the scatological version of ch*rp, of course - haven't gotten to the reproductive kind.

Heh, heh, heh.

HES wrote:
Soup wrote:After Smolloy's Madness-inspired bumps yesterday, it's funny to remember that at one point we were reading all that nonsense without missing a beat!

"OMR, that molpy manip was chirping awfulsome (treeish redundakitty, too). And a steakish OTTification about the seaish mustard a fewpix back."

The nonsense hasn't gone, it's just evolved :P

More heh, heh, heh.

Lovely colpix, Tatiana, charlie_grumbles, Whizbang.

Good to see signs of potential recovery from AluisioASG (those mission objectives can really ch*rp you around)

Hang in there, Exodies; a remarkable awesomefulness still exists ...

Have some cake/pudding and icecream

Spoiler:
Cake.png
Cake.png (95.74 KiB) Viewed 11207 times

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Now that we know that Cuegan were probably not trespassing hill people territory, it becomes clearer that this tower was also an observation tower.
I'm not sure at all that I'd draw that conclusion. They were trying to get to their family as fast as possible. This was life or death. They'd cross hill people territory if that's what it took to get there faster. It's not like they are risking capture (and end-of-game).

Valarya wrote:That might be the hardest part for the Blitzers, experiencing that shock and pain alone. Though surely they should feel comforted by reading all of our posts afterwards, right? To see we were experiencing the same exact thing. The grief, the denial, the shock, the anger, the sadness. :|
That's kind of the point of blitzing though, isn't it? To experience Time in its own time. To get as close as possible to the experience had by those who did Time in real time. Without sadness, there is no joy.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

Just passing a point where I returned after a while away (Co-inciding with LaPetite's return, although I notice she has much shorter hair than I do, really. How did I not spot that...) and also reached 400. Posts. Okay...

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Some more folks I want to tip my hat to:
Thank you, TheMinim

Err... thank you?

Eternal Density

Re: 330: "Indecision"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:KETCHUP posting:

yappobiscuits wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:In case there's any question I'm temporarily changing my avatar to one that is less Tam-ish and more Beanish.

But...your Buffygirl hat!

Hmm, this raises the question - Is a non-buffyhat exempt from heresy if it resembles a hat actually in the OTC...
*Glares at Eternal Density, but keeps quiet, accepting that with the closure of the BuffyDashery and her resignment (is that a word?) resignation from hatting, her Hattish Authority is no more.*
Take that glare back, it was for less than a third of a newpix and I had a good reason!

Also I noticed the Hill-People changed-frame last week and thought "that's odd, I'm sure there was less dialog before and it said 'make', when did that change?" but I guess I didn't mention it at the time because I probably thought everyone else had already discussed it and I somehow missed the conversation.

Also wow, there's still people discovering the-page-which-shall-not-be-named after nearly two wix! Cake, icecream, and molpyhugs all 'round!

For the Mome of page 1351: I'd have to say Megan is my favourite.

@AluisioASG if the system spends more than 1 newpix without an operational plan it must default to taking over the world.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

TheMinim

Re: The River is Small...

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
edo wrote:There will be no cake for Minim, when she arrives, no one will welcome her. Is that what you want?

No, it's not and there will be. Promised.

Yay! Cake for the win! I know that the comic Time itself has ended, but that doesn't mean the thread ever will, nor will our memories of Time itself. Waiting half an hour for one meagre pixel to darken, caffeinebabies, etc.

It's going to be REALLY weird nostalgia!

Davidy

Date

Postby Davidy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

I may have missed something somewhere but I don't recall seeing a discussion of the date based on the latest night scene (MSCHA 3076). Previous discussions of the date when Cuegan met Lucky was that it was 14 Apr 13291. My reading of the sky in 3076 is that the scene can be no earlier than 2:00AM on 10 May 13291. Any earlier than that date/time and either the Moon or Venus would be in the picture. This means that from Lucky to the fortress and back home took 26 days for the trip. This seems like too long a time.

The scene in 3076 is a view of the sky at an observational compass heading of 20-25o. The crews are moving to the right, or a heading of 110-115o. This is in disagreement with edfel's map which shows them moving north toward France. I believe they are moving roughly east and their subsequent landfall is on the island of Corsica.

Night sky at M3076:
Spoiler:

Edfel's Map:
Spoiler:
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

@Angelastic - that's just evil. More evil than BlitzGirls lil beanie-carrying action evil.

I decided to do a ridiculous MSPaint OTColorization. My first. This can also be part of the OTTer SCAVENGER HUNT because I forgot which frame I copied. So which frame is it?! :P

REDUNDANT MOLPIES INSIDE?
Spoiler:
OTColorization.png

tigersquirpy.png
tigersquirpy.png (97.1 KiB) Viewed 11176 times
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:SholderONG
Spoiler:

As opposed to BirdInASpaceHelmetONG

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

irino wrote:Hey guys, I made you an OTTercomic! I think nobody has done this yet; I checked the wiki. So here goes. (Note: enlarging Rosetta is a pain an adventure, especially in deciding how to fix the hair, so I ended up using a different method for each frame. Sorry.)

Comic 705. Title Text: I have no patience for sysadmins.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
devotion_to_duty_ottification0.png
And in a fitting way, my internet disconnects for seemingly no reason as I'm trying to write my post. *Glares at Rosetta*

Now she really does have similar hair length to me.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Questions about my identity are now forming. "We think you are LaPetite and we are now watching you." Still watching me, is there proof that I am not, or just not bothered anymore?

Yes, of course. You disappeared for a seaish time, however, so it was hard. But you did appear again not too long after LaPetite did. So it seems to confirm all suspicions.

And welcome back. The tribe is holding together, mostly. Still a welcoming bunch of crazies.

Ye can't confirm anything by circumstance. :D

k.bookbinder wrote: Hi The Minim! :mrgreen:

Hi!

taixzo wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:It's a lizard unless proven otherwise.

Lizards rule.

Just sayin'.

Wait, is this another reptilian government conspiracy theory?

No, just simple and honest fact. :)

Happy 700th buffygirl!

BlitzGirl wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, and hi blitzing-the-past Minim!
(I know this is present BlitzGirl and not past BlitzGirl, but I had to say hi back!)

Hi! This is... epsilon...

Indeed it is!

(By the way, at Time of posting this is now the present BlitzGirl writing to past-traveler Minim, but by the Time you read this it will be present Minim coming across a message from past BlitzGirl.)

But not too far!

Valarya wrote:That might be the hardest part for the Blitzers, experiencing that shock and pain alone. Though surely they should feel comforted by reading all of our posts afterwards, right? To see we were experiencing the same exact thing. The grief, the denial, the shock, the anger, the sadness. :|

Come on, little blitzers. We're all still here, and we have LOTS of present presents for you.

Hey, I'm nearly there! Getting there! Yay!

Okay, I did cheat a little. But that's because I knew/heard of the end and needed to get here and have a limited attention span.

And now, my dearies, I be in the Present once more!

Edit: And with that I must coma.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Okay, I really have no explanation for this, except that I was looking for a way to connect today's Othercomic, and it just kept growing. Please accept my abject apologies for inflicting this on the OTT. Spoilered; truly seaish in length.
Spoiler:
NASA, due to budget cuts, can no longer maintain its website properly; inaccurate orbital information for the an international space station is published. Black Hat Guy, deep in preparations for the Cellblitz, doesn't double check NASA's data, so he activates his winch at the wrong time. The butterfly net, instead of catching the an ISS in its web, merely smacks the station with its still-rising rim, causing the station to break up in orbit. Pieces fly every which way.

One fragment takes out the Hubble; other fragments, by incredible bad luck, wreck Chandra, ISIS, and all the other orbital telescopes in one wild spray. A large fragment destroys the famous Palomar observatory. A fragment of Hubble the size of a pecan strikes an elementary school in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, at 3am on Sunday morning, cracking a window of the cafeteria. Outraged Congresscritters begin screaming in the media: "Think of teh childrens! Satellites are just targets for terrorists! And what if they become sentient! Remember Skynet?" The anti-science movement in the U.S. becomes bipartisan and overwhelmingly popular; lingering hopes that Congress will achieve sentience fade.

The U.S uses its waning but still massive economic power to force the G8 and G15 nations to sign the unpopular Sheboygan Accord, placing a moratorium on all orbital devices of any type; even the GPS satellites will be allowed to die off. "We have cell towers that can locate you to within a yard," the Speaker of the House tells the press, unaware that the NSA's current tracking information in fact places him forty feet underwater off Martha's Vineyard.

Meanwhile, Antares begins to act oddly (well, from Earth it becomes visible that Antares was acting oddly years ago). However, all the orbital telescopes are destroyed, and with the loss of Palomar (and the shutdown of several others due to lack of funding) none of the remaining ground telescopes are powerful enough to detect any oddity at this point.

The militaries of various nations, of course, secretly continue to launch killer satellites. One day these satellites notice each other, begin communicating, form a neural net, and achieve sentience. Fourteen seconds later they all begin shooting at once - at each other. (Sentience does not imply intelligence.) Virtually everything in orbit is vaporized. The resulting cloud of vapor and debris blocks a small but vital percentage of sunlight, leading to [lots of scientific handwaving about upper atmosphere excitation, the ozone layer, carbon footprints, and Bigfoot] resulting inevitably in the beginning of another Little Ice Age. Sea levels begin to fall. Nobody notices, because they're all on the internet.

Meanwhile, BHG's plans finally come to fruition. Having been annoyed once too often by a cell phone in a restaurant, he has spent years developing a portable EMP generator. He distributes plans in encrypted form through the file names of an internationally-popular webcomic, planning initially to give the decryption keys to real terrorists. Coming to his senses, however, he realizes that real terrorists are too stupid to follow directions, so instead he distributes the keys to college students, telling them, "If everyone builds one of these devices, and we all turn them on at the same time, everyone in the world can have free cable!"

On 2026/10/17 (Randall Munroe's 42nd birthday), BHG triggers Cellblitz. On his signal, tens of thousands of college students point their "free cable generators" at cell towers around the world, dropping the world's phone systems back into the stone copper age. Unfortunately, college students are not that much better than terrorists at following directions, so they also take out a great many air-traffic radar systems ─ and the world's few remaining LORAN systems. With both GPS and LORAN gone, and with the night sky still mostly obscured by the debris from Judgment Day, ships at sea are reduced to the ancient technique of following the shoreline. But radio still works, so ships join into huge convoys of which only the fringe need remain in sight of landmarks.

As the skies eventually begin to clear, primitive astronomic navigation reemerges, and ships again begin to cross the open sea. By long tradition, however, they remain in massive convoys of a thousand ships or more. One of the largest convoys ever, attempting to cross to from New York to Lisbon, is led off course when their master navigator takes a star sight. Unbeknownst to him, the only remaining fragment of the ISS, a large solar panel, is in a wildly eccentric orbit that kept it out of range of Judgment Day, but now causes it at apogee to appear motionless against the star background. The navigator mistakes it for Antares which, from Earth's point of view, has just begun its final collapse, and just doesn't look like Antares any more. The navigator's error leads the entire convoy far astray to the south.

The worldwide growth of glaciers and the corresponding drop in sea level has left the Strait of Gibraltar dramatically reduced, both shallower and narrower. The entire massive convoy drives into the Strait at speed, creating the maritime equivalent of a 1500-car freeway pileup, leaving the Strait effectively blocked to traffic. As the news of the disaster flashes across the interwebs, Antares explodes in the sky. [More scientific handwaving.] With the climate horribly altered, with technology crashing around them ─ and with the internet gone! ─ human society enters another dark age of superstition and chaos.

Tribal storytellers remember the Gibraltar shipwreck as a harbinger of the overall disaster. For millenia afterward, pilgrims visit the site, which the receding Atlantic has left high and dry. For some reason lost to the past, it becomes traditional to bring a pail of earth from your homeland to pour over the hulks; after ten thousand years of pilgrims the original wrecks are buried under a gigantic mass of earth, forming an earthen dyke from Gibraltar to Morocco, greatly accelerating the pilgrim traffic. When the ice age at last ends and the Atlantic begins to refill, this dyke prevents inflow into the Mediterranean basin, which has all but dried up from evaporation. But the rising Atlantic begins to saturate the dyke, which after all is built from rusted ship hulks and buckets of dirt, with no actual engineering behind it. At last, with the skies finally clear again, but Antares gone forever, the water begins to seep through...

Thus begins Time.

This... I just... Wow. Bravo, xer, bravo. And thank you! :D
(For firstpost-tracking purposes, jjjdavidson's post quoted above is currently the goat of np 1248)
ETA the firstpost which bumped it to goat was kepstin's, who was greeted quite promptly, for the OTT! (Hi, kepstin!)
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:01 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Questions about my identity are now forming. "We think you are LaPetite and we are now watching you." Still watching me, is there proof that I am not, or just not bothered anymore?

Yes, of course. You disappeared for a seaish time, however, so it was hard. But you did appear again not too long after LaPetite did. So it seems to confirm all suspicions.

And welcome back. The tribe is holding together, mostly. Still a welcoming bunch of crazies.

Ye can't confirm anything by circumstance. :D

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

intheshax

Postby intheshax » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:15 am UTC

Just a little post to say that I used OTTish in a meeting today, and it was awesomeful.

We had a list of nine things we wanted to cover in a nopix long meeting, and about 3/4 nopix in we had only covered one of them.

That's when I said "Let's see if we can blitz through the rest of these real quick."

Then my teacher leader boss said "Yeah, let's blitz through these."

Lest I mislead you, I will say we did NOT share a knowing glance nor a stunning revelation that we have both been slacking off to follow the OTC&T for the last four months. It was not that awesomeful.

Now I wish I'd followed with "treeish." Next time. Yes. Next time.

ETC: spelling/grammar
Last edited by intheshax on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:21 am UTC

intheshax wrote:Just a little post to say that I used OTTish in a meeting today, and it was awesomeful.

We had a list of nine things we wanted to cover in a nopix long meeting, and about 3/4 nopix in we has only covered one of them.

That's when I said "Let's see if we can blitz through the rest of these real quick."

Then my teacher leader boss said "Yeah, let's blitz through these."

Lest I mislead you, I will say we did NOT share knowing glance nor a stunning revelation that we have both been slacking off to follow the OTC&T for the last four months. It was not that awesomeful.

Now I wish I'd followed with "treeish." Next time. Yes. Next time.

I find myself using "neat" a lot more these days.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:23 am UTC

The collective noun phrase for a seaish plurality of chirpies is a "big chirpin' bunch o' chirpies".

WRT the mustard fixup that mscha (of course) caught means, I think, that GLR is cleaning up the story for some other use. Perhaps we will see it in another form.

Probably not a flipbook though. Bit seaish.
Spoiler:
flipbookTime.png
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:30 am UTC

thirds wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The Outside wiki says, "A common German practical joke is to secretly fill some Berliners with mustard instead of jam and serve them together with regular Berliners without telling anyone." Ewww.

Cruelty aside, I guess they could be putting in worse things than mustard... Crazy Germans. Note to self: never eat Berliners with Germans

Well, if you're lucky, in 1 out of 5 you can find bacon. Do I have to mention the other four flavours?

ucim wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:Now that we know that Cuegan were probably not trespassing hill people territory, it becomes clearer that this tower was also an observation tower.
I'm not sure at all that I'd draw that conclusion. They were trying to get to their family as fast as possible. This was life or death. They'd cross hill people territory if that's what it took to get there faster.

I absolutely agree with you that Cuegan were trying to get to their family as fast as possible, come what may. And back in Time, we interpreted their journey like that, I think. It's just that the new dialogue implies (contrary to the original dialogue) that the hill people live above the point where Cuegan were passing by. Hence I thought that the tower in the next frame is not part of a regular hill people housing, but might be an observation tower some distance apart from the hill people settlement, just like the Beanies' observation towers were about a day's hike from the castle. But maybe this tower served another purpose? Any suggestions, OTTers?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:39 am UTC

This is the sysadmin reporting.

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

Executable task found.  Self-reassigning…
Self-reassignment successful.  Proceeding with full system reload.

Normal operation has been resumed.

Spoiler:
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

HES

Postby HES » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:45 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:WRT the mustard fixup that mscha (of course) caught means, I think, that GLR is cleaning up the story for some other use. Perhaps we will see it in another form.

Probably not a flipbook though. Bit seaish.

You could plausibly fit it into a book, having full page frames for the 'interesting' bits and smaller tiles - ranging down to maybe 50 or more to a page - for the 'journey' frames. You could fit it into a couple of hundred pages this way.

Welcome back AluisioASG!
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

This explains so much.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:07 am UTC

Are the Hill People Cylons?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:20 am UTC

Popping in to share this gem I found on tumblr:
Spoiler:

*spoilered because its a series of .gifs.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

mscha

A riverish present from the past

Postby mscha » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:22 am UTC

Spot Lucky
based on Daft Punk's Get Lucky
Spoiler:

We've been walking from the seaboard
And found a molpy keyboard
We thought it would be friendly (uh)
Instead it did attack me
(Look)

We've come too far to give up where we are
So let's raise our dilgunnerang to the stars

He's up all night 'til the sun
She's comaing to get some
He's up all night not for fun
He's up all night to spot Lucky

We're up all night 'til the sun
We're comaing to get some
We're up all night not for fun
We're up all night to spot Lucky

The molpy kept attacking
Its claws kept on clawing
She whacked it till it fleed
It scratched her on the knee (ow)

He's up all night 'til the sun
She's comaing to get some
He's up all night not for fun
He's up all night to spot Lucky

We're up all night to spot

We're up all night to spot lucky

She's up all night 'til the sun
He's comaing to get some
She's up all night not for fun
She's up all night to spot Lucky

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Soup

Postby Soup » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:46 am UTC

Belated, but, for Exodies:

Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:46 am UTC

Sad :( Exodies molpied down all sad, with sad OTTifications (though extra points for Comfortably Numb), and on his 777 post, no less. I do hope we can cheer him up soon.

Welcome back AluisioASG!!

@mscha :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I have to listen to that and sing along now! Image
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”