1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, so close! So, so close!

M2921, then

Very subtle.
Spoiler:
Time2921.png
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: Nopixly OSH

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
OSH

This is Rosetta.
What newpix is she from?

M2921!

Ninja'd! :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, so close! So, so close!

M2921, then

Very subtle.

Indeed! Good job!
I APPRECIATE CONDONE APPLAUD YOUR IDENTIFICATION OSH-WORSHIP OF ME IN ALL OF MY HAIRY GLORY BRILLIANCĒ

(Good ninja'd hunting also to ZoomanSP!)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

When did this fragment first appear?

Spoiler:
fragment.png
fragment
fragment.png (1.11 KiB) Viewed 13964 times
-- Charlie Grumbles

Swein

Postby Swein » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
OTT Ice Cream Trauma Ward
You bring the trauma, we'll bring the chocolate syrup.
Spoiler:

Yay! Trauma time! Bring forth your inner trauma :mrgreen:
This was me at T.. ..D

So it was awfully nice to get some chocolate syrup!
Not to be such a parasite a brought along some nice ice...
Spoiler:

I couldn't see any links for mikrits nice OTTificated song, so I bring a pair of those as well. In both they switch to another melody in the middle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xJFVs5THDQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9slS83uUiqY

[edit] And here is the text again (by mikrit)
Spoiler:
HILLS FULL OF DEW (Vi gå över daggstänkta berg)

We walk over hills full of dew, tralala;
They've borrowed from the emeralds their hue, tralala.
Never are we grieving,
Oh so merry are we singing,
As we walk over hills full of dew, tralala.

The old, clever Beanies may say, tralala,
That we are not as sensible as they, tralala.
But who would be singing
About the youthful spring, eh?
If we were as clever as they, tralala.
Last edited by Swein on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1282

Postby azule » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:What is the OTT accomplishment that you are most proud of? (Up until now, anyway, since there's plenty more OTT to go!) An ottification, coining a word, naming a character, writing a post that you thought was particularly good, participating in a scientific discussion, starting an OTT custom, writing a thorough wiki article, etc?
Coining some words: blindpost, beesnake, maybe others; helping others get some words out: awefulsome; my stitch work: panoramas and dual frame animations; my stories: ffoxy and newpixbot; some of my odetities; sometimes being right about a prediction or analysis. hehe.

Not proud: thong. lol! :P

Realization: oh, you said "the"....I gave you many. Oh, well.

Eliram wrote:Image
(just for fun)

Super neat. That would have been a wowterful frame to end on.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:When did this fragment first appear?

Spoiler:
fragment.png

And when did it last appear?
-- Charlie Grumbles

PeterSheil

Postby PeterSheil » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, a new blitzer! :D Best of luck, PeterSheil, whenever you read this!

Hi BlitzGirl. I did post a while back ... but you may have skipped a bit :) I'm only back here because I need 5 posts before I can add a sig line, and so far have only made 4 (including this one).
Dracomax wrote:
fhorn wrote:I would post more often but I don't know how to clever.

if you say enough random nonsense, eventually someone will think you are clever. That's basically the entire premise of the internet as far as I can tell.

Sir Comeforants, Knight Temporal from in the past

PeterSheil

Postby PeterSheil » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

One thing I do miss ... a 'like' button; there seems little point in quoting months-old threads just to say I like them but hopefully I can use Dracomax's and fhorn's words as my sig after this post :)
Dracomax wrote:

if you say enough random nonsense, eventually someone will think you are clever. That's basically the entire premise of the internet as far as I can tell.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

PeterSheil wrote:One thing I do miss ... a 'like' button; there seems little point in quoting months-old threads just to say I like them but hopefully I can use Dracomax's and fhorn's words as my sig after this post :)

Oooo. Double posting. M&M's for him. And just "old" enough for a siggy.
-- Charlie Grumbles

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

*goes to kitchen to make dinner, not really paying attention to the task at hand*

*sits down at table, looks at bowl*

*realizes bowl is full of ice cream*

Oh, well, I suppose I'm having ice cream for dinner now. I blame y'all. :P

nerdsniped wrote:Word spreads via the OTW, OtherWiki, Facebook, BlitzGirl's blog, and timing-channel signals propagated through the main xkcd server via lightweight DDOS attacks. The STT (Second True Thread) is born.

BlitzGirl has a blog?

...looks at her sig...

How many times have I seen that and not noticed the word "blog"?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

Well, it's a blog that hasn't been updated in quite a while! I suppose now that Time has ended I can get back to regular blogging schedule...

PeterSheil wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, a new blitzer! :D Best of luck, PeterSheil, whenever you read this!

Hi BlitzGirl. I did post a while back ... but you may have skipped a bit :) I'm only back here because I need 5 posts before I can add a sig line, and so far have only made 4 (including this one).

Hi! I did see your first post here - I gave you cake! :wink: When I wrote "new blitzer" I was referring to you saying that you were reading the entire thread, which you hadn't mentioned before. By doing so you have joined the ranks of the many wowterful blitzers of the One True Thread!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

I like the number of posts BlitzGirl has at the moment! 2424.

Edit: And me on 450! :D
Last edited by TheMinim on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Seeking Rainbows
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

PeterSheil

Postby PeterSheil » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Howdy when you get here, PeterSheil! :D

And Howdy to you ... I'm still in the present (until I coma) getting enough posts for a sig!
Dracomax wrote:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

rONG:

Cueball, eater of molberries. Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

Outside has been distracting as of late, but I had time to continue practicing my gimp painting skills and have now OTColored m3000 (if someone could add this to the wiki I'd love them forever. Tables do not like me).
redundant spoiler:
Spoiler:
OTColored.png
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

*Back to the Present*

Alright, so that was it, I think this will be my last batch of (Image ...because it'll be only fry sauce from now on):

BlitzGirl wrote:No ONG? You know what that means, Randall...

irino wrote:Image

NoMouse wrote:Image

BlitzGirl wrote:Image

Great ones, keep them coming!

BlitzGirl wrote:On the ending: I tend to agree with what NetWeasel and others have said - the reason it hit us so hard is because we weren't expecting it. In traditional novel structure, there is the climax and then dénouement. The difference is that the audience knows it's dénouement, falling action. We didn't. We thought that the drifting through the Short Night was a continuation of the climax (the Sea is still rising!) and when Cuegan built the Last Sandcastle, then headed onto the new shore with some of the Forty, we viewed it as continuation of plot, not the last couple of pages. *sigh*

Oooh, I see! I didn't suffer that, because, I was expecting the end. There were just too many signals pointing to it. First, the signatures, I even went into hiding sigs and avatars to avoid being spoiled, and that worked, apparently, since I never read Edo's sig, but still, I KNEW some big event had happened, and what's bigger than the comic's end?

Then, what was it, about August 3 or 4, the OTT only had 3 or 4 NewPages added in the entire day, that's a great signal to ignore.

Finally, some guy in the Forum Games section that now and then pokes fun at me for being a Time Follower asked me "I heard Time ended, how does it feel?" - That was the greatest evidence of an end that I had (and probably spoiled that it ended somehow), so what I did is was considering the possibility that he didn't know and was lying, and then added him to my Ignore List and stopped visiting some Forum Games threads to not be certain of anything.

So, when I read T** E** in the comic itself, it wasn't a surprise or as sudden as it could have been, as I knew the ending was probably between these pages of July 26 and the ones of August 4.

But if there was this great disappointment of expecting more to come and then getting a sudden end, then maybe I should be grateful to the people that helped me avoid that! (Or maybe I did have that huge disappointment and sadness back then, but I attributed it to Rosetta's "all the people you know are DEAD, and you can't do anything about it" which is what I was reading at the time.)

Also, my brain hasn't registered that Time has ended yet, maybe it's because I still have a backlog of 40 pages* with at least 960 Newpix that I haven't seen in them, I still have 80 pages to read of recent events, and I now have time to share with xall in the present**.

* The forty pages... It's ALL related!

**Contains Heretic Mustard
Spoiler:
It was also greatly relieving that IT ENDED! My distance from the present just kept increasing and I was afraid I'd never ketchup if it lasted forever. If there's a Part 2 I hope it happens after I had read it all :P

And now, I'm going to act as if Time hasn't ended! We don't have a still ended frame, we don't have a series of frames repeating on a loop... No, we have a pattern! And that pattern isn't repeating, or random, so maybe, the next frame is being relayed codified in that pattern, we just have to...

Spoiler:
The End

Aw, that no longer works :(
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Vytron wrote:...so maybe, the next frame is being relayed codified in that pattern, we just have to...

Spoiler:
The End

(If the newpix itself is the Voldiframe, does that mean that the title text can be the Basilitext?)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:14 am UTC

Oh, hey ZoomanSP & k.bookbinder!

And...

bye.

Yeah, people will hate me for this, but, I just realized that I can't stay in the present with you anymore, people are posting rONGs, and that's awesome and all, but it's very possible that by chance they post rONGs from the forty pages that I skipped! So I can't continue psychoblitzing until I read those pages so that I can look at the rONGs without being spoiled. Sorry.

It also means I'll continue bringing Past Present Heretical Comics for Xall :)

Future Vytron won't be seen for a while, but the number of unread Pages in my Location should now start decreasing --->

Erm, nope, my Location is this way:

<----

Great to know the OTT remains as strong as ever on The Present, there will always be a place for me full of ice cream and hugs :), thank you all, see you in the Future!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:33 am UTC

For those who might care, after a year's wait, there is a brand new Achewood (http://www.achewood.com).
As opaque as ever, of course.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:35 am UTC

Some twenty years after the Voldeframe, New Cuegania has become quite a successful empire. Cuegan explore to find and understand the technologies of new peoples, and Megan sometimes invents things. LaPetite builds a fleet and starts a successful shipping and trading company. Sandy and Littlest Bangs Brother grow up to start a comedy music duo known as Bangs and Sandy; that is to say, they don't really grow up.

LaPetite's company reestablishes contact with the Beanies and imports many of their wares, including the paste for treating raptorcat wounds. In fact, some of the Beanies settle in New Cuegania, in the province of Touquie. New Cuegania thus becomes a bilingual nation. Due to the influence of the Touquans (People of Beanish descent settled in Touquie) it becomes fashionable to keep raptorcats as pets (although many non-Touquie New Cueganians frown upon the Touquie tradition of eating them), which means the paste is an important household supply.

Naturally, any successful importing company needs good advertising. LaPetite contracts Megan to appear in advertisements for the healing paste, demonstrating her thwapping skills (a raptorcat obedience school is named in her honour, but she is usually too busy to teach there) and then saying, 'But I'm not always around. That's when you need ImageImageImageImageImage . ImageImageImageImageImageImage It's pretty neat.' But indeed, even though she has a Chuck-Norris-esque reputation which does wonders for any product she cares to endorse, Megan is not always around, so LaPetite decides they need some other way to advertise. Young New-Cuegania-born people even hint that they need an even better slogan than, 'it's pretty neat', but for now they still get pelted with Image&Images for saying so. So LaPetite holds a jingle-writing contest. She decrees that the jingle be less than 20 seconds long, mention the product, and demonstrate the neatness and wowterfulness of raptorcats.

Now, Bangs and Sandy are just starting out in their music career, so they're quite eager to earn some fame and fortune. They figure this should be pretty easy for them, because they're young and overconfident. Days of soul-searching later, they come up with this:

Spoiler:
Cats are neat and wowterful
when you survive their wounds.

(This has been an ottification of Fresh Step Kitty Litter by Paul and Storm.)

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Panther Salve!.png
Panther Salve!.png (4.33 KiB) Viewed 13710 times
Sometimes Panther Salve is redundant.png
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:44 am UTC

Is your skin
Spoiler:
red and peeling?

Spoiler:
Do your cuts

Spoiler:
need proper healing?

Spoiler:
Panther Salve
-- Charlie Grumbles

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:45 am UTC

I was going to say *Welcome to the Present, Vytron!* -- but after my mini-condiment he disappeared back in to the past again.

I laughed out loud at BlitzGirls' emote after opening his spoiler and seeing those nasty nasty words. Bad Vytron, bad. ;)

@Goggalor - awesome color!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:54 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Spoiler:
Some twenty years after the Voldeframe, New Cuegania has become quite a successful empire. Cuegan explore to find and understand the technologies of new peoples, and Megan sometimes invents things. LaPetite builds a fleet and starts a successful shipping and trading company. Sandy and Littlest Bangs Brother grow up to start a comedy music duo known as Bangs and Sandy; that is to say, they don't really grow up.

LaPetite's company reestablishes contact with the Beanies and imports many of their wares, including the paste for treating raptorcat wounds. In fact, some of the Beanies settle in New Cuegania, in the province of Touquie. New Cuegania thus becomes a bilingual nation. Due to the influence of the Touquans (People of Beanish descent settled in Touquie) it becomes fashionable to keep raptorcats as pets (although many non-Touquie New Cueganians frown upon the Touquie tradition of eating them), which means the paste is an important household supply.

Naturally, any successful importing company needs good advertising. LaPetite contracts Megan to appear in advertisements for the healing paste, demonstrating her thwapping skills (a raptorcat obedience school is named in her honour, but she is usually too busy to teach there) and then saying, 'But I'm not always around. That's when you need ImageImageImageImageImage . ImageImageImageImageImageImage It's pretty neat.' But indeed, even though she has a Chuck-Norris-esque reputation which does wonders for any product she cares to endorse, Megan is not always around, so LaPetite decides they need some other way to advertise. Young New-Cuegania-born people even hint that they need an even better slogan than, 'it's pretty neat', but for now they still get pelted with Image&Images for saying so. So LaPetite holds a jingle-writing contest. She decrees that the jingle be less than 20 seconds long, mention the product, and demonstrate the neatness and wowterfulness of raptorcats.
Now, Bangs and Sandy are just starting out in their music career, so they're quite eager to earn some fame and fortune. They figure this should be pretty easy for them, because they're young and overconfident. Days of soul-searching later, they come up with this:
Spoiler:
Cats are neat and wowterful
when you survive their wounds.

(This has been an ottification of Fresh Step Kitty Litter by Paul and Storm.)

*applauds* :D

I want some Image&Images now to pelt our heretics with. Justice... from the future!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:17 am UTC

I gave the random button a whack (hope I didn't break it) and took me to this 4 relatedr OtterComic.
Which comic is this MegBall frame from?

redundant, because its all related

redundaspoiler
Spoiler:
Megball Hunt.png
not redundant
Megball Hunt.png (17.36 KiB) Viewed 13619 times
Last edited by StormAngel on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order
Purveyor of Pepsi, the One True Beverage
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:37 am UTC

It doesn't look like anyone taken a shot at this....

charlie_grumbles wrote:When did this fragment first appear?

Spoiler:
fragment.png

charlie, is it M1985?

charlie_grumbles wrote:

And when did it last appear?

And M 1992?

===
p.s. FYI, both fragments are visible as images. per the PM's we exchanged.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:41 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:It doesn't look like anyone taken a shot at this....

I almost did, but I was waiting for Han.
Looks to me like you've found the right frames :)
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order
Purveyor of Pepsi, the One True Beverage
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:18 am UTC

Reporting in from the Oregon coast yet again. No travelling today, just enjoying the sea1 and the rocks1 (not the famous haystack rock, we're further south than that). We're in Bandon, which is south of Coo's Bay, for whoever asked. The super-low-tide this morning was amazing, it was very foggy but there were some exposed tidal pools and caves which were fun to explore. I'd share pictures but I don't have access to them at the moment. Spent the day in town exploring the shops, including one which sold enormous varieties of candy...I finally know what that analogy is referring to!
In thread-related news, it seems Vytron was here for a bit, so welcome back! Hope you have fun ketching up those 150 ish pages, I was overwhelmed with the content from just 30 ;) But then, I'm not a practiced Blitzer, having been mostly ketched up for the whole duration of the thread.
Tomorrow we'll be heading down south to San Francisco, which I believe puts me in the vicinity of at least a couple OTTers :D Not going to disclose my exact location for privacy's sake, but give a shout if you're in the area ;) Until then, this is once again CHRDRG signing off.

ETA: Oh, and the newpix-o-meter is down because my web host is performing maintenance. Not to worry ;)
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:25 am UTC

Like I said a few nopix ago, before the outside reared it's ugly head, I decided to download both Paint.NET and GIMP. I'm not going to try any "real" experiments with them todip, but I do have a question about GIMP and it's Help File.
I noticed GIMP's Help is on-line. (Which is something I don't really like. I like to be able to look something up whether I'm on-line or off.) After much pointing around I finally found a PDF for version 2.4 (which I saved). But I have Version 2.6.8 (?) [latest version] and saw a download for that version of Help (which I downloaded).
Here's The Question. How do I get this download file from my "Download Log" into the right file in my GIMP program files? (I guess that's the right destination,) Also, when I tried to "Click and Drag" it into the GIMP folder, I was told I needed to be an "Administrator". (Which if fun, since I'm the only person who uses this computer and I don't remember selecting that ability. Which brings up: How do I handle that little feature?)

P.S. I've got Windows 7 (may Win 8 die on barren ground and nourish nothing... Obviously I don't have a smart phone or a tablet or a touchscreen...)

And a for the Halibut rONG: (M501 via "Random")

And with