1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Valarya

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

4, acunning40! Well done.

@ucim: Is there any place where your Acts of the Cleric can be read in full? Or do I just have to follow the trail-marks left at the bottom of each post?
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:<snip>
re: the repeating Epilogue Frames.

What If: GLR is thinking like a "Vegon"? (think 'Contact' here.)
In other words; what if the message isn't just in the pattern of the images "spelling" out the date (like slinches said), but somehow the hashes are involved with the "message"? (Yes, that would mean these last five hashes were selected.)
And What If the 'mustard' of the 'late' repeating frame at the beginning was also part of the 'message'?
<snip>
Even if this turns out to be a silly idea, have a good dip on the OTT.
<snip>

I'm no expert (in fact, I know next to nothing about cryptography or programming), but I was able to concatenate all of the epilogue hashes into a single file and open that in a hex editor. No obvious patterns jumped out at me (other that the 24 frame repeats, of course). Good idea though, it does seems like there should be something more to the hashes and epilogue sequence than what we have found so far.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

Prof.-Dr. Grumbles, happy millenial post, Sir!
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

acunning40 wrote:I decided to try making an an OTTercomic....

(It might be better with different plant life/landscape to look more like the OTC, but that's beyond my drawing skills. If anybody else wants to do it, feel free. :))

Yes! I came across the same othercomic some time ago and thought that it just begged to be ottified! Unfortunately, I did and do not have the time and equipment to do what I had in mind: Exchanging part or all of the background for something taken from this sequence of pictures; also I would have wanted to exchange the "ACME" inscriptions on the boxes for some Beanish characters.

Anyone who wants to take my suggestions and make them work, feel free. :)
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

HES

Postby HES » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And HES's, with the mustache. How cute it that?

*wiggles moustache* Image
He/Him/His Image

intheshax

OTP? N. *A*TP? M. AP. OK.

Postby intheshax » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

(Redundant)
Spoiler:
OTTdoku2.gif
OTTdoku2.gif (10.53 KiB) Viewed 15057 times

shax.png
Last edited by intheshax on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:39 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

He/Him/His Image

intheshax

Postby intheshax » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

schwartzbewithyou wrote:
intheshax wrote:...i haven't left...

I'm glad you're still here :) Have you ever tried making a kakuro puzzle? I never got that into Sudoku, but Kakuros are my favorite. Probably more difficult to time-ify though

Thanks for remembering my sudoku from a while back, schwartzbewithyou!

As you can see I've posted another puzzle.

I have tried kakuro in the past, and it didn't really stick with me. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a go and should give it another try. Can you tell me what you like about them so especially?

I like making sudokus because the special challenges it brings to bear seem to hit me in the right places. Not sure trying to make kakuro would do the same thing. I agree it would be pretty hard to OTTify!

ETC: fixed quoting tags error
Last edited by intheshax on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

mscha wrote:The epilogue sequence...
If we name the 5 final newpix after the frame-that-shan't-be-mentioned A through E, then the hourly (oldpixly?) sequence of frames after that is now:
    CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBA
    DB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDABAB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDAB
    ED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCE
We've had two 24-hour cycles (colored blue and green), it's too early to tell whether we're in a third one now.
No idea what's up with this... Perhaps every time the GLR finds out we figured out the pattern, He changes it?

{P1321}
Maybe you're hitting different servers (perhaps behind a load balancer, I have no idea how these things are architextured) and they each have their own random seed.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:01 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:To be fair, the iPad is an awful device for drawing (I have one), and the bulbous stylus designs that go with it are terrible when it comes to accuracy. But a decent graphics tablet to use with a computer, plus some practice, can give the old pencil-and-paper a run for its money. I don't know if I'd recommend it for the casual artist, since a good-quality tablet can be a couple hundred dollars, but if you're a hobbyist and you can see yourself doing a lot of digital drawing/painting, I'd go for it. And I'm ninja'd!

{P1321}
There is a new style of stylus for iPad - Adonit Jot. It has a fine point, unfortunately not aligned with where the ink appears, but the feel is very nice. There is a clear plastic disc around the tip which sits on the screen and provides some drag. It's not perfect (try before you buy) but it beats the bulbous ones. About 20£. They also do a pressure sensitive one which sends pressure data via Bluetooth (the app needs to be aware of it; sketchbook pro is) about 80£. I read about some apps which filter out your palm resting on the screen, but I don't think it was for iPad.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:44 am UTC

(Past Present for all people on the Future, rock on!)
Spoiler:
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:46 am UTC

intheshax wrote:<Sudoku puzzle>
Spoiler:

Looks great. But there are several solutions. Am I missing something?
Last edited by Ximenez on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Vytron wrote:(Past Present for all people on the Future, rock on!)
Spoiler:

Wowterful! Many blasts from the past in there... nostalgia time...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:05 am UTC

Blindposted epilogue update:
You can check it yourselves. Automagically updated every oldpix.

(We're still in the fourth 24-oldpix cycle, now just over 4 dix.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Ketchuppery

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:19 am UTC

Thanks for the epilogue sequence page, mscha! That will definitely come in handy. :D
Treeish ottercomics, acunning40, Earthling on Mars, and Whizbang!
Wowterful job on your first OTTherfication, Aluisio!
I like the activity chart addition, Sciscitor.
Excited to see what happens next, Kieryn!
Thanks for the Past Present, Vytron! I miss those ENHANCEment dips...

intheshax wrote:
Spoiler:

Awesomeful sudoku, but I'm not sure how to get this one started. :?

Latent22 wrote:STRAWBERRY WARNING!!!
Spoiler:

Yay, a fixed version! Image Thanks, Latent22!

Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:To be fair, the iPad is an awful device for drawing (I have one), and the bulbous stylus designs that go with it are terrible when it comes to accuracy. But a decent graphics tablet to use with a computer, plus some practice, can give the old pencil-and-paper a run for its money. I don't know if I'd recommend it for the casual artist, since a good-quality tablet can be a couple hundred dollars, but if you're a hobbyist and you can see yourself doing a lot of digital drawing/painting, I'd go for it. And I'm ninja'd!
{P1321}
There is a new style of stylus for iPad - Adonit Jot. It has a fine point, unfortunately not aligned with where the ink appears, but the feel is very nice. There is a clear plastic disc around the tip which sits on the screen and provides some drag. It's not perfect (try before you buy) but it beats the bulbous ones. About 20£. They also do a pressure sensitive one which sends pressure data via Bluetooth (the app needs to be aware of it; sketchbook pro is) about 80£. I read about some apps which filter out your palm resting on the screen, but I don't think it was for iPad.

Ooh, definitely good to know! Though the price is pretty intimidating when I can get a bulb-point stylus for a couple of dollars. I suppose I prefer my laptop over the iPad when it comes to content creation.

Earthling on Mars wrote:Image

Yes indeed! Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:34 am UTC

Blindposting while ketchupping: great Acts of the Clerics (and I'm not just saying that because I'm in it... :lol: )
And Charlie Grumbles, don't go!
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:53 am UTC

I'm blindposting from two pages back to say that I was looking at Kieryn's site and realized that perhaps the greatest thing about the OTC and OTT is how they inspire so many of us to do creative things ourselves. Credit for that has to go to the whole community, especially the talented, funny, creative ones who started the ball rolling, who did the first ottifications, worked on solving the puzzles (and solving most of them), and who were so welcoming and encouraging to the efforts of others. I feel like I can do a whole lot more on computers than before I started waiting for it. Even though the things I've learned have been mostly simple things and nothing like the skills that so many of you exhibit so often. Still, I feel an opening up of possibilities. I feel creative juices stirring that have been still a long time. I feel so happy and excited and interested in what we all will come up with next. I've contributed very little up to this point but I plan to do more, and I feel able to do more. So let's see what happens next, shall we?

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Did someone call for redundakitties? We're here!
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:15 am UTC

So, it has come to this.

I'm pretty sure most of you do not remember me by my contributions (there weren't many), my avatar (that's just soooo original) or my username here (I'd like to kill the 14-year-old version of myself for even considering it). I'd just like to say:

bye.

I've been following the OTT since Day 1, but I guess it's time to move on. I could've just closed this tab and no-one would notice, but I guess a heartfelt goodbye is the best way to do it. I'm not leaving entirely and certainly not ignoring all the good times we had here. I just don't have the will to go on refreshing this tab knowing that the GLR ended Time. This is simply a thank-you to all of you, since you have (sincerely) made me very happy throughout these months.

I'm not good at baking and cooking, so here's a generic Time Pizza.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:31 am UTC

OK, almost ketched up. Amazing how fast this thread is still moving...

AluisioASG wrote:I'm not going anywhere for the time being... I hope.
When I finally leave this wonderful place, you won't even notice. And neither will I. Image

Hmm, does that mean because you'll sneak out, and you think we won't notice? Or do you mean you won't leave until there's no one on the thread, so no one will miss anyone? Wait, now I don't know what I mean...

I love the new map! It's really 4 how when you're zoomed in you see the individual OTTers, but then they coalesce into the numbers as you zoom out. And i'm glad you posted those examples from Timeventure. I have to admit, I was not quite sure what I was doing. I submitted one, then stopped because I was confused. :? I'll go back and take another look.

Earthling on Mars wrote:But storks definitely don't!

SO glad we don't still have giant man-eating storks.

HAL9000 wrote:So I went off to a summer camp for twelve days, and forgot to let you all know that I was going to vanish for a bit. Sorry if I worried you all, but now I'm back, so it's all better! right?

Whew! I was a little worried. Nice to see you again!

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

This is an original drawing, right? Treeish!

ChronosDragon wrote:Reporting in from the once more cloudy San Francisco again. Was quite lovely earlier today, then in the late afternoon the fog returned, along with some gusty chills. I guess that's normal here?<snippety snippety>
I was sad to come back to so many OTTers indicating their gradual or sudden exit. I suppose it had to begin eventually and will continue until one by one we're all gone, but the knowledge of its inevitability does not soften the pang it causes upon discovery. I'll console myself by remembering the good times we had here and trying to enjoy the ones we can still have, albeit with a smaller number of OTTers. Keep calm and ottify othercomics, I suppose. This is CHRDRG, signing off.

Welcome to summer in the Bay Area. Last week the fog didn't lift till about 3 pmH every day. It's been a little better this week.

I deny that inevitability of which you speak. There's still a little room in the basement, I think.

Oh, and re:
ChronosDragon wrote:Probably wouldn't want to settle there permanently, but then I haven't really been happy anywhere but Seattle so far :P

Yeah, that's what I thought about Santa Cruz. Still here, 20+ yips later..

pelrigg wrote:Like you said, it's not surprising folks are drifting away. I hope that they'll still check in once in a while. It's a shame though, if someone leaves angry. It does make it hard to return. Your afraid of being embarrassed if you come back, because you think someone will "make light" of you. (To tell the truth, my "posting vacation" a while back did come from being miffed over some things. I guess because I simply stopped posting without explanation, no body noticed.)

So many people have come and gone (and come back) throughout Time, it wasn't always easy to keep track. But it never meant people weren't missed. I would often find myself thinking "Where's so-and-so?" but not posting it because I thought maybe I just missed something.

BlueCrab wrote:Blind question from np 1265:
b2bomberkrh wrote:Ok, I have to molpy out for the evening, I'll be back later, to see if the water is still rising. I have an appropriate avatar now, here's hoping hats are still available!!!
Has b2bomberkrh's hat-wish been granted yet? It's really difficult to tell on my phone. :?

It doesn't look like he's been hatted. HAL, now that you're back, can you help with that? Don't know if b3bomberkrh is still here, but I bet xey would come back if xey got a hat!

AluisioASG wrote:I think this is my first OTTherfication.
Spoiler:

Treeish! And I wrote something as a response to your redundant spoiler, but I see the image I was referring to doesn't show up. So, I'll say it anyway: We have clearance, Clarence. Over. Oveur? What's the vector, Victor?

rvloon wrote:Well, I was to go into lurking mode. But OK. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKvB3g3HEPQ
"Wild Mountain Thyme"

The Song of Time

Spoiler:
Now the end of time is coming,
And the tears are all a-flowing
And the followers of Time
Flock all-around together.
Will you go, lassie, will you go?

Chorus:
Will we all stay together
To talk about that wild ride of Time
And to think about whether,
We should stay, lass, or go?

Now no newpix will be coming
The ONG will not be sounding
Yet there's a place that we can go,
To discuss our time together

If the OTT runs dry
We will surely find eachother
For as great minds think alike
So will we always be an OTTer.

Now the end of time is coming,
And the tears are all a-flowing
And the followers of Time
Flock all-around together.

Yay, Ronald posted again! Now if we could just get Charlie to go for 1001...

Sciscitor wrote:Small Database update: Users now with tiny sparkline activity charts under their avatar.

Took me a minute to see what you meant. That site is really treeish. If there are ottifications we've done that aren't there, it looks like we can just add them, is that right?

Tatiana wrote:I'm back! I've been off blitzing the othercomics for a few days. Just wanted to let you know I'm still here, so I don't get mugged and dragged to the basement by any cute little black meowlpies! OTT forever! I'm still waiting for it.

Good thing you said something. I was a little worried because I've seen you on the FB page but not here. Hey, someone posted a quote from you asked about any correlation between Noah's flood and the Zanclean flood. Did you see the video that someone posted about that? The Zanclean flood was too early, but the Black Sea (I think) did the same sort of thing while humans were present. So, good call!

Angelastic wrote:Round these parts, you say, 'I'm a physicist' and everyone's eyes glaze over like you're a particularly ordinary person who can't think of any better way of starting a conversation than stating the obvious.

:D

Have a good trip, ZoomanSP! I'll be heading to that part f the world next wip myself, upstate though.

Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:
Actaeus wrote:I made an OTColorful thing!Image
Did I did good? :o

Yes you did... and reminded me of a rather profane song (sorry, if it was already posted).

:shock: Shocking! Where's the NSFW warning? :) Seriously, that video is too funny, both in the context of the OTT and just 'cause it's so late 60s/early 70s.

No...I just saw in the Preview window-Byteflush is saying goodbye? NO! NO BYE FOR YOU!!

Edited to fix lysdexia.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:47 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:bye.

Randammit, my kitties can't keep up with all this demand!

lmjb1964 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

This is an original drawing, right? Treeish!

Indeed it is! Thanks! :)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:49 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:No...I just saw in the Preview window-Byteflush is saying goodbye? NO! No BYE FRO YOU!!

To be honest, it's actually more of a "Thank you all" than a "Goodbye."
Since the end of Time, I haven't refreshed the OTT much often even though I felt obligated to do so. I don't want to cause any drama, I just wanted to say goodbye to people who have really made my life a whole lot better during these few months.

I know, I know... I'll escort myself to the comfy chair now...

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:50 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Randammit, my kitties can't keep up with all this demand!

You are going to have to make a drawing of the basement with all the avatars in it as it fill up.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:02 am UTC

"I wanna quit the thread."
"You wanna quit?"
"I wanna quit the thread."
"You do realise you won't have access to all our wowterful new creative offerings?"
"...I wanna quit the thread!"
"Okay... BlitzGirl in the membership office handles quitters."
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:12 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:No...I just saw in the Preview window-Byteflush is saying goodbye? NO! No BYE FRO YOU!!

To be honest, it's actually more of a "Thank you all" than a "Goodbye."
Since the end of Time, I haven't refreshed the OTT much often even though I felt obligated to do so. I don't want to cause any drama, I just wanted to say goodbye to people who have really made my life a whole lot better during these few months.

I know, I know... I'll escort myself to the comfy chair now...

I've started this reply three times so for and the words just aren't making it to the page.

I can understand how hard it is to post since "the event", because I'm having some of the same difficulties.
At least you decided to say thanks and say where your head was at, rather than just disappearing. Your posts have been fun and a contribution to this madness. Please, at the very least, promise you'll check in every so often.
I believe that there will be a meet-up or two sometime in the future, so you'll need to keep up with that. (Hopefully there will be one in Europe that's close enough for you.) If all else fails we've got to get together so you can drink me under the table.......
But, yeah, if you go there will be a BytEfLUSh-size hole in the OTT. (Just like there's an edo-sized one, and a.... I don't feel like finishing this train of thought Some of these folks might still show up.)
Edit to add:
It shouldn't feel like an "obligation" though. It should be more like, "I wonder what they're up to, todip." When you feel the need for a spot by the fire, there will always be one here for you.
Last edited by pelrigg on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:13 am UTC

Real quitters don't say goodbye, they just quietly disappear.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

HES

Postby HES » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:19 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Real quitters don't say goodbye, they just quietly disappear.

Real quitters quit quitting, really.
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:44 am UTC

Vytron wrote:(Past Present for all people on the Future, rock on!)
Spoiler:

Reporting in for the final time this trip from San Francisco, with an absolutely treeish comic from Vytron to greet me! This made me smile really wide, which for a dragon is certainly saying something.
Toured Stanford today, definitely on a different spectrum entirely from Berkeley (in attitude, cost, and prestige). I'm withholding judgement on any school until I've tabulated my results (I plan to pick methodically using a decision making matrix, which I've learned is a useful tool for tough, quantifiable decisions) but it seems that it shall probably place highly in the rankings.
After that we took lunch at a local mall and surprisingly only spent about an hour there. Then we spent the better part of the afternoon walking (there was a lot of walking involved, my feets hurt at the end of all of it) around the famous Winchester Mystery House, which seems like just the sort of thing an OTTer would design :D Doors on the third floor leading into empty space, windows looking out onto brick walls, and 151 stairs leading up 9 feet - it's just the sort of nonsense which is right up our alley. If Mrs. Winchester were alive today, I'm sure she would be an active member of our thread community :P
Tomorrow we depart for the Yosemite area, a natural wonder I've never visited but heard much of. I'm anxious to see if it's all that it has cracked up to have been, but from the pictures I've glimpsed I would guess that it is. I'll see if I can find a few moments in the evening to OTTify Cuegan's waterfall with Yosemite in the background, as well as crank out that redwood wowtree ottification I've been meaning to do. Until then, CHRDRG out :)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:48 am UTC

An rONG for blue dips...

In some ways, what's happening on the OTT is like what happened during the "Fading". We saw it disappearing bit by bit. We could feel the chill of the "night" approaching. But, we stuck it out and found something even better.

We just need to make it past this "Fade" and find the new "Journey"....

-----

And, guess what...
While saying "don't go" to one of our fellow OTTers, I must "go" (as in "molpy down")
Yes! Keep Waiting For It. The blitzers and the lost ones are out there. And our brothers and sisters of this tribe who are on vacations or job-hunting or on the job and aren't on-line "right now', but who are still a part of this tribe...
Reluctantly, I must "Coma Out."
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:46 am UTC

My ketchup is complete! Alas, I lost my quotes (they showed up when I edited my last post, and I forgot to save them.) I know there was a 4 ottification from acunning40 and also from HES, epilogue update from mscha, a new puzzle from intheshax (I still haven't done the other one :oops:), a post from karhell--yay!, a blast from the past from Vytron, funny stuff from Earthling-on-Mars, a really sad OTThercomic (well, the OtherComic was really depressing :( ) from WhizBang, a sad Scissitor who needs a hug *HUG*, jovialbard says we're trash :wink: r maybe autumn leaves, and Valarya may have a brain-eating amoeba. :shock: Quite a mixed bag in those two pages.

Oh, magma pixie, good luck with the job search!

ChronosDragon wrote:After that we took lunch at a local mall and surprisingly only spent about an hour there. Then we spent the better part of the afternoon walking (there was a lot of walking involved, my feets hurt at the end of all of it) around the famous Winchester Mystery House, which seems like just the sort of thing an OTTer would design :D Doors on the third floor leading into empty space, windows looking out onto brick walls, and 151 stairs leading up 9 feet - it's just the sort of nonsense which is right up our alley. If Mrs. Winchester were alive today, I'm sure she would be an active member of our thread community :P
Tomorrow we depart for the Yosemite area, a natural wonder I've never visited but heard much of. I'm anxious to see if it's all that it has cracked up to have been, but from the pictures I've glimpsed I would guess that it is. I'll see if I can find a few moments in the evening to OTTify Cuegan's waterfall with Yosemite in the background, as well as crank out that redwood wowtree ottification I've been meaning to do. Until then, CHRDRG out :)

Hm, Mrs. Winchester was really smart but pretty nuts, and not nuts like us but really out there. So I'm not sure how well she would fit in.

Yosemite is transcendent. It's an amazing place. There will be tons of people but I think you'll still be wowed. And if you can get to one of the less-traveled places, even better. Oh, and the Ahwanee Hotel is gorgeous, all this amazing wood and cool stuff. I love Yosemite. I think you will too.

pelrigg, your last two posts were really quite profound. I especially liked:

pelrigg wrote:We saw it disappearing bit by bit. We could feel the chill of the "night" approaching. But, we stuck it out and found something even better.

We just need to make it past this "Fade" and find the new "Journey"....

Byteflush, you'll be missed if you go and welcomed back if you come back. But good luck getting past the molpy army... :D And I do appreciate you saying how much the thread means to you!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:47 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
jovialbard wrote:The art is kind of intriguing but it looks like a lot of work

That picture took me about 35 minutes to draw / paint on a 6' x 4' card last night ... plus about 5 minutes to digitize/upload. I figure that's totally feasible for one slide per day. Also, not every slide need be as detailed.

Okay, no more clues ... next update at 12pm EST, 4 pm UTC tomorrow ;)

Not a lot of time before I molpy down but I did want to say, this looks neat!

Oh, and great OTTifications as usual! I always feel so bad for Spirit :(

magma pixie wrote:Just poking my head in to say hi. Feeling quiet, and needing to pay attention to Outside (job huntingugh), but still appreciating this place very much.

You, too? I am searching as well. I do so dislike job hunting *sigh* Best of luck to you!

@Vytron Wowterful Past Present!!

@BytEfLUSh As others have said, always know you are welcome here, regardless of how many newpages you may miss. We'll not fault you for not blitzing. Just do not be a stranger.

Now I must away, for the mornix starts another dip...you know that does not sound quite as I expected it to. Oh well. Keep the faith all and OTTify it.

OTTify it...
...ti yfiTTO
Wait for it...
Knock it off!...
What?...

Molpy Down!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:47 am UTC

New original poem using the latest epilogue rhyme scheme: EABEAB CBC DD EADE ABAB AB CDC
Kind of melancholy this go-around, sorry about that.

When Time is Gone

Join me up here
Under vast dawn skies
There is little that remains
Kneel with me dear
After the sunrise
And help me gather up these grains

Tell me what is left when you've moved on
Tell me what to do with all our gains
Tell me what is left when Time is gone

Togetherhood, companions I have known
Tell me what's left when they've all flown

Pacing the line, back on the frontier
Now it's Time to improvise
Colors and songs help me to postpone
The fears that this will disappear

Lonely rafts - tossing in a sea of goodbyes
Pleas to stay - tossed around on slender chains
Anxious words - fading into soft resigned sighs
Echo from the old castles on these plains

(Not your fault if the thread you left behind dies)
(Not your fault if the conversation wanes)

Tell me why I Wait back here alone
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:53 am UTC

Dammit BlitzGirl stop writing such wowterful poems that would make great songs! I still haven't finished the first one yet!

Actually don't stop. ;)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:55 am UTC

That's really wowtferful, BlitzGirl! Something about the phrasing reminds me a lot of T.S. Eliot's poetry, and the placement of the internal rhyme/consonance and things. Very melancholy, but very beautiful nonetheless. I definitely enjoyed it.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:12 am UTC

Beautiful work BlitzGirl! I also definitely got a T.S. Eliot vibe from it. I had to read it a couple times to take it all in.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:19 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:New original poem using the latest epilogue rhyme scheme: EABEAB CBC DD EADE ABAB AB CDC
Kind of melancholy this go-around, sorry about that.

When Time is Gone

Join me up here
Under vast dawn skies
There is little that remains
Kneel with me dear
After the sunrise
And help me gather up these grains

Tell me what to do with all our gains

Togetherhood, companions I have known
Tell me what's left when they've all flown

Pacing the line, back on the frontier
Now it's Time to improvise
Colors and songs help me to postpone
The fears that this will disappear

Lonely rafts - tossing in a sea of goodbyes
Pleas to stay - tossed around on slender chains
Anxious words - fading into soft resigned sighs
Echo from the old castles on these plains

(Not your fault if the thread you left behind dies)
(Not your fault if the conversation wanes)

Tell me why I Wait back here alone

That's beautiful, and sad.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:26 am UTC

Thanks xuys! (Don't worry yappo, no more new poems until the epilogue sequence changes again. :wink: ) It is vaguely Eliotish, I suppose. I've read some of his work. The last stanza of "The Waste Land" is in fact what I associate the most with Eliot, and it's quite RELATED:

---------------------I sat upon the shore
--Fishing, with the arid plain behind me
--Shall I at least set my lands in order?
--London Bridge is falling down falling down falling down
--Poi s'ascose nel foco che gli affina
--Quando fiam ceu chelidon-- O swallow swallow
--Le Prince d'Aquitaine a la tour abolie
--These fragments I have shored against my ruins
--Why then Ile fit you. Hieronymo's mad againe.
--Datta. Dayadhvam. Damyata.
--------Shantih shantih shantih
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Please I need a little room to breathe

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:41 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I'm not going anywhere for the time being... I hope.
When I finally leave this wonderful place, you won't even notice. And neither will I. Image

Hmm, does that mean because you'll sneak out, and you think we won't notice? Or do you mean you won't leave until there's no one on the thread, so no one will miss anyone? Wait, now I don't know what I mean...

As others already posted here, it just means that I'll slowly fade away without noticing it. (I just realized how much that song fits the OTT: we had our day, we once were great. I wonder if eventually one of us will be just talking to themself.)

lmjb1964 wrote:I love the new map! It's really 4 how when you're zoomed in you see the individual OTTers, but then they coalesce into the numbers as you zoom out. And i'm glad you posted those examples from Timeventure. I have to admit, I was not quite sure what I was doing. I submitted one, then stopped because I was confused. :? I'll go back and take another look.

I noticed the descriptions stopped coming. To be honest, I don't really know what I'm doing...
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:42 am UTC

Fantastic, Blitzgirl.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:48 am UTC

"Describe the OTT in two words"
Kazza3 wrote:Fantastic, Blitzgirl.

(Okay, okay. "Fantastic, Everyone")
Last edited by HES on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Re: Please I need a little room to breathe

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:49 am UTC

:P No, it's "Fantastic, OTTers", you silly molpy. Edit: much better!

AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I love the new map! It's really 4 how when you're zoomed in you see the individual OTTers, but then they coalesce into the numbers as you zoom out. And i'm glad you posted those examples from Timeventure. I have to admit, I was not quite sure what I was doing. I submitted one, then stopped because I was confused. :? I'll go back and take another look.

I noticed the descriptions stopped coming. To be honest, I don't really know what I'm doing...

Could you link to it again? Or maybe put it in your sig? I feel like playing with it every now and then but I keep forgetting the link.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:54 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”