1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
HES wrote:I suppose it's because they're the same drawing style, but 1190/1110 make really good mashups

And the fact that they both were beyond awesome.

And the fact they are from the same author and a done few months apart.

Nah, that can't be it. :P
Yaay pope!
Uhm, be happy, don't leave. Those of us who are in the basement are allowed to go back up if they wish.
Trying to leave still has the same penalty by the way
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: Please I need a little room to breathe

Postby SBN » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:One day the last OTTers will pull up the forum page to see no new posts for X wips, and realize it really has ended. But they won't post either, so nobody will know how things actually faded out.

Or, they will post, and it won't have ended. Early on we had discussions about being the thread with the most posts. Maybe our next goal is to be the thread that is active the longest. (We've got a ways to go on that score.)

ChronosDragon wrote:Toured Stanford today, definitely on a different spectrum entirely from Berkeley (in attitude, cost, and prestige). I'm withholding judgement on any school until I've tabulated my results (I plan to pick methodically using a decision making matrix, which I've learned is a useful tool for tough, quantifiable decisions) but it seems that it shall probably place highly in the rankings.

Don't stress too much. It isn't the case that there is one right answer and all the others are wrong answers. A lot of them can be right, though in different ways. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't use a matrix, we had one for my daughter. You might also consider flipping a coin at some point. Not so much as to give you the answer, but to clarify things to yourself. How you feel during and after the flip will tell you what you really wanted the outcome to be, even when you thought you were undecided.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

intheshax

Postby intheshax » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

Just chiming in this morning to say great job, OTT. That was one of the best stuff-getting-posted-while-i'm-acoma sessions I've seen in a bit.

* I got an 'at! And ChronosDragon either did some research into my alias or was guided by the Hand of Rand, because the hat on the left is *perfect*! Plus, hats all around, plus three beanies in the back. Steakish and treeish. I bear my new hatted avatar with pride.

* A sad poem that made me feel happy.

* The best, and I mean it, best and most entertaining recap of Mediterranean island insect, mammal, and reptile wildlife I have ever read.

* Great response to the papal decree with some super molpy hats and hatted molpies.

Thanks for a nice 1/2 nopix in bed kethchingup.

And now just before I hit submit and restore our needle pulled thing to the top of the Individual Comic Threads list where it belongs, I'll just relate that I'm pretty sure "blitz" has permanently entered my heretical life vocabulary. "Molpy" probably, too, but for sure "blitz". Latest usage in the wild: "Can I blitz through this baseball game on the TiVo before we watch our show together?"

-- intheshax

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
HES wrote:I suppose it's because they're the same drawing style, but 1190/1110 make really good mashups

And the fact that they both were beyond awesome.

And the fact they are from the same author and a done few months apart.

Nah, that can't be it. :P
Yaay pope!
Uhm, be happy, don't leave. Those of us who are in the basement are allowed to go back up if they wish.
Trying to leave still has the same penalty by the way

What about those of us sitting in the corner, quietly fading away?

Still here, by the way...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

mikro2nd

What d'If

Postby mikro2nd » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

What d'If update:

Fermentation has finished - final gravity is 1.012 (pretty much exactly where it should be) and the One True Ale is ready for bottling and a couple of weeks of carbonation and conditioning. Only I don't have empty bottles on hand. Guess what I'll be doing over the wixend.

Though the beer is still very green, colour is just a lovely gold - a bit darker than I anticipated, to be honest. Aroma is gently of peaches and apricots and Summer flowers, with just a hint of something darker. Mouthfeel is lusciously creamy and smooth, finishing dry, and the flavour is good - a little sweet (though that may dry out a bit in the bottle) and shy, nice fruitiness, not overpowering, and the spices (I ended up using Star Anise, Black Pepper and Orange Zest) playing very subtly in the background. Next time I will perhaps make the hopping a touch more assertive (but no more than a touch.) Carbonation should help balance the slight (to my palate) over-sweetness (though it is certainly not cloying - just typical of Belgian ale yeasts.) Then, too, the Orange Zest seems to have been almost completely lost - next time I'll add it to secondary fermentation to try and keep more of that citrussy aroma and flavour.

This one is likely to end up as a house favourite.
ota.png

ETA: I miss newpixbot. Is xe in the basement too?
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

I tried.
bookshelfott.png
Based on 1049

my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

intheshax wrote:
schwartzbewithyou wrote:
intheshax wrote:...i haven't left...

I'm glad you're still here :) Have you ever tried making a kakuro puzzle? I never got that into Sudoku, but Kakuros are my favorite. Probably more difficult to time-ify though

Thanks for remembering my sudoku from a while back, schwartzbewithyou!

As you can see I've posted another puzzle.
I have tried kakuro in the past, and it didn't really stick with me. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a go and should give it another try. Can you tell me what you like about them so especially?

I like making sudokus because the special challenges it brings to bear seem to hit me in the right places. Not sure trying to make kakuro would do the same thing. I agree it would be pretty hard to OTTify!

ETC: fixed quoting tags error

I personally like Kakuro better than Sudoku because it's more of a numbers puzzle and I am a numbers/math nerd at heart. Although Sudokus on the surface appear to be number puzzles, you really just need 9 unique placeholders - as you've demonstrated with using letters - and it's a process of elimination game (I'm not trying to minimize Sudokus - just giving a simple explanation here of how math isn't really involved). With Kakuros, it's a process of elimination, but requires a decent amount of simple/quick math and you're not only eliminating individual numbers, but combinations of numbers. So I just find it a little more complicated and more 'math-y'

Exodies wrote:
schwartzbewithyou wrote:
Spoiler:

I (actually) made this cake last night and thought I would take a picture before covering it in rainbow sprinkles to give the more artisticly inclined folks out there a cake template. Frost away OTTers!

{P1323}
Looks like the cat vomited all over your cake.

Although I admit that the cake was much prettier once it had rainbow sprinkles all over it, I think vanilla buttercream is a far cry from cat vomit? (Although my beanie was also mistaken for a diaphragm.. maybe I have perception issues ha) If I was going to post a cake with cat vomit on it, it would look a little more like this:
Spoiler:
Really xuys? You just clicked a spoiler button looking for a cake covered in cat vomit. :shock: Either we are really indiscriminate about cakes or are just dying for content in the OTT :)

And thank you Blitzgirl for using my cake template! And for your kind words lmjb1964 although it takes more than someone insulting my cake on the internet to get to me. (However, I think insulting any cake is heresy here!)

higgs-boson wrote:I am back, but I am not with you, yet.
<snip> awesome molpy pictures and descriptions <snip>

What a great post higgs-boson! I really enjoyed the pictures and descriptions. Sounds like you had a fun time.
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

intheshax

OTP? N. *A*TP? M. AP. OK.

Postby intheshax » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

Code: Select all

lnhgu
      hc
lnhgu

ch
     yc   yn
hlc n       ug

n
  sg
    hg
      cu

n sg-clkg!

lcl
   h
   u
   g
n  g  unug

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:New original poem using the latest epilogue rhyme scheme: EABEAB CBC DD EADE ABAB AB CDC
Kind of melancholy this go-around, sorry about that.

When Time is Gone

Join me up here
Under vast dawn skies
There is little that remains
Kneel with me dear
After the sunrise
And help me gather up these grains
Spoiler:
Tell me what is left when you've moved on
Tell me what to do with all our gains
Tell me what is left when Time is gone

Togetherhood, companions I have known
Tell me what's left when they've all flown

Pacing the line, back on the frontier
Now it's Time to improvise
Colors and songs help me to postpone
The fears that this will disappear

Lonely rafts - tossing in a sea of goodbyes
Pleas to stay - tossed around on slender chains
Anxious words - fading into soft resigned sighs
Echo from the old castles on these plains

(Not your fault if the thread you left behind dies)
(Not your fault if the conversation wanes)

Tell me why I Wait back here alone

That is very, very nice. And somewhat guilt-applying: "Not your fault if..." (I'm still here, just quieter.)

SBN wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Toured Stanford today, definitely on a different spectrum entirely from Berkeley (in attitude, cost, and prestige). I'm withholding judgement on any school until I've tabulated my results (I plan to pick methodically using a decision making matrix, which I've learned is a useful tool for tough, quantifiable decisions) but it seems that it shall probably place highly in the rankings.

Don't stress too much. It isn't the case that there is one right answer and all the others are wrong answers. A lot of them can be right, though in different ways. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't use a matrix, we had one for my daughter. You might also consider flipping a coin at some point. Not so much as to give you the answer, but to clarify things to yourself. How you feel during and after the flip will tell you what you really wanted the outcome to be, even when you thought you were undecided.

Piet Hein had a "grook" on that:

Whenever you're called on to make up your mind,
and you're hampered by not having any,
the best way to solve the dilemma, you'll find,
is simply by spinning a penny.

No ─ not so that chance shall decide the affair
while you're passively standing there moping;
but the moment the penny is up in the air,
you suddenly know what you're hoping.

Another one of his, called "T.T.T.", is one we've been experiencing for months:

Put up in a place
where it's easy to see
the cryptic admonishment
T. T. T.

When you feel how depressingly
slowly you climb,
it's well to remember that
Things Take Time.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

Ketchup Time

Vytron wrote:(Past Present for all people on the Future, rock on!)
Spoiler:

I hope you keep doing these, Vytron! I love them. Image

BytEfLUSh wrote:I'm pretty sure most of you do not remember me

I think we all know and remember who you are, BytEfLUSh. Sorry to see you go but I'm sure BlitzGirl has already ninja'd me with basementcat.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Lonely rafts - tossing in a sea of goodbyes
Pleas to stay - tossed around on slender chains
Anxious words - fading into soft resigned sighs
Echo from the old castles on these plains

(Not your fault if the thread you left behind dies)
(Not your fault if the conversation wanes)

Tell me why I Wait back here alone

This part had me in tears. It's beautifully written and I love the cadence. Image

BlitzGirl wrote:*brings hats for pope*
Spoiler:

!!!! CUPCAKE HATS! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

higgs-boson wrote:Time for pictures? Here's a &%$#* noisemolpy. Don't laugh! They sit in the pines and with the first sunlight falling in the trees the acoustic level raises from "restorative morning peace" to "total tinnitus concealment".

Welcome back, higgs-boson!!! I loved the description of your experience on the Mediterranean, especially the 11,000 BT part. :D But I had to directly post a reply to the noisemolpies. I live in the Southern US where these things emerge in drones (swarms) every few years. Cicadas. And I think we discussed them here in the OTT hundreds of NPs ago but I'm too lazy to go looking for it. They certainly are loud as chirp and I will forever call their noise 'total tinnitus concealment' from now on. Haha.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

HES wrote:For pope:

Less wide version, for those not blessed with 3840x1080 resolution:

Spoiler:

And thanks to Blitzgirl for the hatted otters

Haha... nice one HES... To the last picture, I would also add a number of other OTTer hat guys in front, just observing and discussing the whole thing, and me, mscha, Scissitor and various other data department members hanging around with stop watches and measuring sticks and a flipchart or two.

Also - reminder newslide in 15 minutes...
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

intheshax wrote:* I got an 'at! And ChronosDragon either did some research into my alias or was guided by the Hand of Rand, because the hat on the left is *perfect*! Plus, hats all around, plus three beanies in the back. Steakish and treeish. I bear my new hatted avatar with pride.

Hehe, you're quite welcome. Actually, the only research I did was into the source image of the avatar (a Judybats song) and to look for other album art from them for hat inspiration. If I managed to stumble upon an interesting connection, well, it's a happy coincidence ;)

And thanks for the great response to my decree last page, xuys! I very much enjoyed all the hats you had to offer :D

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:

Woah. :shock: That is extremely seaish and also very neat, balthasar!

mikro2nd wrote:I miss newpixbot.

You got that right. :cry: I miss newpixbot and molpy hunting the most! - oh, hey! I see molpy activity in your beer picture! :wink:

free-bee wrote:I tried.
Spoiler:

And you did a steakish job! I like it.

schwartzbewithyou wrote:If I was going to post a cake with cat vomit on it, it would look a little more like this:
Spoiler:
Really xuys? You just clicked a spoiler button looking for a cake covered in cat vomit. :shock: Either we are really indiscriminate about cakes or are just dying for content in the OTT :)

Image I think we're just conditioned to click all spoilers for hidden content. Hidden content to which you just contributed. Although admittedly, I just wanted to see what kind of nasty cat-vomit-cake creation you came up with. ;)

@HES: Awefulsome OTTercomic!
@Kieryn: I really like the colors in Obelisk 1 and 2.

And I'm in the present again. I sometimes feel like my only posts are short lil 'appreciation' replies since I seem to never be in the present. Hopefully no one minds. :oops: If you do, here's a cupcake to shut you up (haha):
Spoiler:

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:jovialbard, I hope you've escaped? From the weird question mark place? Oh wait, it's contagious?

Your ETA is so true. That's happened to me before, and that is exactly what it feels like. :D

And hey, you wrote a book! That's so cool. Is it only available for Kindle? Because I'm Kindle-less. I read a little of the preview, and it sounds treeish! (But not like Entish.)

Amazon made it super easy to self-publish, maybe in a while I'll consider publishing it elsewhere too, but for now, only kindle, sorry :( . But thanks for the interest :)

HES wrote:For pope:
Spoiler:

The alt-text for the original comic was "..."... What does it mean? It's ALL related! The double hatted guy really was about to "RUN!", GLR has been waiting for you to finish the comic HES.

SBN wrote:<snip>You might also consider flipping a coin at some point. Not so much as to give you the answer, but to clarify things to yourself. How you feel during and after the flip will tell you what you really wanted the outcome to be, even when you thought you were undecided.

Brilliant :D

Also, if anyone wants to hat me feel free. You'd also need to avatar me though... and I'm kind of picky sometimes... also my wife just sent me a gchat that says "Hats!"... it is ALL related!
Last edited by jovialbard on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

A quick spattering of ketchup before I run off to lunch. I do not believe I have not said hello to those returning to the OTT. Hi Higgs-Boson! Great post!

And also, BEER! :mrgreen: It sounds like quite a tasty brew mikro2nd (I could use a beer right about now).

@Kieryn Second frame and we're already at alt-text "..." ? :D

Great OTTification free-bee! It does always cheer me up to see OTTifications. And blitzgirl's poem was beautifully melancholy (and guilt applying; I agree with jjjdavidson on that one).
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

Outside keeps me gone
missing you while Time moves on
though I've not withdrawn.

Spoiler:
Charlie has grumbled;
he says it's his last.
I hope he returns
'cause his wit's unsurpassed.

Panther grave
Spoiler:
Happy one thousandth
to Charlie I say
and one other thing
Please don't go away.

Panther save
@Kieryn - cool site; looking forward to waiting for it!

@Neil_Boekend - Loved your story. Any story with transparent volcanos appearing on command has got to be awesome! (I wonder if pathers shave with RAZOR)

Of course my theory is that the OTT will run so fast that posts are preceded by their replies, and the resulting timey wimey vortex swallows up the universe. Thus ends time.

@AluisioASG - Thanks so much for the kilopost cake! I actually have one of those typewriters. Alas, it is not frosted, and would probably not taste anywhere near as good as your cake. :)

Be warned though, if you attempt to "disappear from here", we will find you quite easily... in the basement!

(yanno, that basement is starting to sound like fun!)

@svenman - Steakish Ignorance! (ottification of Prejudice) On a related note, I saw Woody Allen's latest feature, which features Jasmine and... Ginger!

Alas, I thought the movie was a dud. I usually really like Woody Allen's pictures - but this one lacked... something. I don't think it went anywhere.

Too many visual otties and colorations to name; I really enjoy them! One I'd like to especially point out is pelrigg's. And BlitzGirl's. And Actaeus'. (Wait - that's two three five). One day I'll do a few myself. You'll just have to
Spoiler:
You didn't think I was going to pull that one again, did you?
azule wrote: "And yay, the GLR saw it was good, and on the 130th day he rested tried to rest but we all threw him in the basement."
FTFY

@schwartzbewithyou"Love how the monomolpy pieces are coming! Very steakish work! You asked about the beanie diaphram; perhaps if the dome had a knitted texture to it it would more resemble its origins. (btw, thanks cellocgw - cannot unsee)

@yappobiscuits - It was fun to see the video of you doing your pirate thing over the campfire! Sounds like a fun time had by all.
yappobiscuits wrote:Yay, welcome back! *waits for Jose to include Minim in the next AotC* ;)
Oh, there are plans for that. You'll just have to
Spoiler:
Oh, come now! You've probably seen it a thousand times - I'm not going to do it again!
Re: grief on Time ending - (esp triggered by rvloon's post and Sciscitor's unrelated comment)
Grief is not an emotion to be avoided, but to be relished; as when it comes, it is a way of re-experiencing one's connection to whatever it is that has brought these emotions out in the first place.

Welcome back karhell! (though you won't see this until far into your future)

And @taixzo - Cool magic eye! Works surprizingly well, probably because it's easier to focus. I think I saw it in the original, but got to see it again in karhell's reprise.

Valarya wrote:@ucim: Is there any place where your Acts of the Cleric can be read in full? Or do I just have to follow the trail-marks left at the bottom of each post?
There is a link to the wiki page, and from there you can go to any chapter (you can right-click or center-click to open in a new tab so you can bypass the ad and keep the wiki open). There is no single-page version of the story. I may put one together at some point; I'll probably want to copy-edit it at that point too. But really, the story leans on the OTT and the OTC a lot for its general arc and a lot of the details, so shouldn't be divorced from it. Without that, much of the story could seem a bit arbitrary. But it might be convenient to have it all in one place, so at some point I'll bundle it up. You'll just have to
Spoiler:
@intheshax Cool! Another sudoku! (Have to finish solving the other one now!)

@Vytron - Great Past Present! I'll add it to the Gospel of Vytron.

@mschaThanks for the epilogue page! Treeish!

BytEfLUSh wrote:I'm pretty sure most of you do not remember me by my contributions (there weren't many), my avatar (that's just soooo original) or my username here (I'd like to kill the 14-year-old version of myself for even considering it). I'd just like to say:

bye.
Oh, I noticed you... and I'm not the only one who would miss you if you were alloweds to leave. Fortunately we have a basement, heavily guarded by BLitzGirl's molpy army, so there's no danger of your going away! I wonder if it's really true, all those stories I hear about the goings-on down there!

The time pizza was delicious, btw. :)

@BlitzGirl - Lovely newsequence poem. :)
BlitzGirl wrote:Tell me what is left when Time is gone
We all are. We transcend Time via the OTT.

Dracomax wrote:What about those of us sitting in the corner, quietly fading away?
You will return, like La Petite. You know you will. :)

mikro2nd wrote:Fermentation has finished
You're making me thirsty! Now I'm gonna have to
Spoiler:
boy, you're a glutton for punishment, aren't you!
schwartzbewithyou wrote:I personally like Kakuro better than Sudoku because it's more of a numbers puzzle and I am a numbers/math nerd at heart. Although Sudokus on the surface appear to be number puzzles, you really just need 9 unique placeholders - as you've demonstrated with using letters - and it's a process of elimination game (I'm not trying to minimize Sudokus - just giving a simple explanation here of how math isn't really involved). With Kakuros, it's a process of elimination, but requires a decent amount of simple/quick math and you're not only eliminating individual numbers, but combinations of numbers. So I just find it a little more complicated and more 'math-y'
What do you think of Ken-ken?

schwartzbewithyou wrote:Really xuys? You just clicked a spoiler button looking for a cake covered in cat vomit. :shock: Either we are really indiscriminate about cakes or are just dying for content in the OTT :)
I guffawed out loud on that one. Gotta click every spoiler! The redundakitties got us trained!

ChronosDragon wrote: If I managed to stumble upon an interesting connection, well, it's a happy coincidence we all know it's all related. ;)
FTFY :)

Well... that was seaish! Even so, I know I missed commenting on a lot of great stuff.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:(Past Present for all people on the Future, rock on!)
Spoiler:

Definitely my favorite type of pastblitzblindpostthing, nice job Vytron! It's weird seeing myself in one of these, I don't think that's happened before.

intheshax

Postby intheshax » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
intheshax wrote:* I got an 'at! And ChronosDragon either did some research into my alias or was guided by the Hand of Rand, because the hat on the left is *perfect*! Plus, hats all around, plus three beanies in the back. Steakish and treeish. I bear my new hatted avatar with pride.

Hehe, you're quite welcome. Actually, the only research I did was into the source image of the avatar (a Judybats song) and to look for other album art from them for hat inspiration. If I managed to stumble upon an interesting connection, well, it's a happy coincidence ;)

No, that was exactly it. It was perfect because of that. I figured you had either gotten lucky with your hat choice or had looked around and gotten from me to the Judybats. From there the Punch and Judy artwork (with jester's hat) from the other album is an obvious and awesomeful and excellent choice to base my hat on.

I knew you could take my alias and break it apart and spell it right and use quotation marks to figure out its origin. Now I've just learned about searching by image by re-enacting what you must have done. I guess I knew that existed, but only just now have seen it in action. Pretty neat.

Thanks again for the hat(s)!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:

Wowtertreeish!
mikro2nd wrote:What d'If update:
Spoiler:
Fermentation has finished - final gravity is 1.012 (pretty much exactly where it should be) and the One True Ale is ready for bottling and a couple of weeks of carbonation and conditioning. Only I don't have empty bottles on hand. Guess what I'll be doing over the wixend.

Though the beer is still very green, colour is just a lovely gold - a bit darker than I anticipated, to be honest. Aroma is gently of peaches and apricots and Summer flowers, with just a hint of something darker. Mouthfeel is lusciously creamy and smooth, finishing dry, and the flavour is good - a little sweet (though that may dry out a bit in the bottle) and shy, nice fruitiness, not overpowering, and the spices (I ended up using Star Anise, Black Pepper and Orange Zest) playing very subtly in the background. Next time I will perhaps make the hopping a touch more assertive (but no more than a touch.) Carbonation should help balance the slight (to my palate) over-sweetness (though it is certainly not cloying - just typical of Belgian ale yeasts.) Then, too, the Orange Zest seems to have been almost completely lost - next time I'll add it to secondary fermentation to try and keep more of that citrussy aroma and flavour.

This one is likely to end up as a house favourite.

Yay! I wanna try some...
Spoiler:

And you tried well! Good one!
ucim wrote:@yappobiscuits - It was fun to see the video of you doing your pirate thing over the campfire! Sounds like a fun time had by all.

Thanks, indeed it was! Just a camp though, no fire, as nice as that would've been. Not allowed those in festival campsites.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

A Dash of Ketchup

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Thanks for the molpy report, higgs-boson!
Treeish manip, balthasar_s!
Your OTTercomic is steakish, free-bee!
And the One True Ale is looking good, mikro2nd!

intheshax wrote:And now just before I hit submit and restore our needle pulled thing to the top of the Individual Comic Threads list where it belongs, I'll just relate that I'm pretty sure "blitz" has permanently entered my heretical life vocabulary. "Molpy" probably, too, but for sure "blitz". Latest usage in the wild: "Can I blitz through this baseball game on the TiVo before we watch our show together?"

Awesomeful :)

Happy 400 posts, jovialbard!
Spoiler:
Image + Image + Image + Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jovialbard

Re: A Dash of Ketchup

Postby jovialbard » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Happy 400 posts, jovialbard!
Spoiler:
Image + Image + Image + Image

Awww, my first post-stone cake! Now I feel like I belong here :wink:
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

Happy 400, jovialbard! :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Seeking Rainbows
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Blindposted epilogue update:
You can check it yourselves. Automagically updated every oldpix.

(We're still in the fourth 24-oldpix cycle, now just over 4 dix.)

Thanks! That's some awesomeful OTC data automagicianry. Are the patterns detected and colored algorithmically? If so, that's extra tree-ish.

mikro2nd wrote:What d'If update:

That sounds great. Add me to the OTATMQ (One True Ale Tasting Mob Queue) please. You are sending1 bottles cases out to OTTers, right? Right!? :mrgreen:

Also, it's fitting that your description of the OTAle is quite applicable to the OTT, except the "green" part of course, I think the OTT is rather well developed at this point2.

1Unfortunately, with the risks involved with shipping alcohol internationally, it's probably not a good idea. :cry: We certainly wouldn't want good beer to go to waste.
2Well developed, but nowhere near the shelf life. Like all well made things, the OTT will continue to mature and improve over time with proper care and attention.

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1317

Postby azule » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Kinda lame, but it's the best I can do while my wife yells at me to get off the Internet and clean the house.

Hah, I love hearing about these familial issues. Not that I don't also have my own OTT/internet-affecting relationship woes. ;) I just like to imagine that you're sitting there, hunched over (sorry, standard internet stereotype) your computer, swiping away with your mouse while pretending your wife is not yelling at you, maybe saying "I'm almost done, trust me" or "it's the last one, I promise".... Now you're wiping down some shelves while you wipe away a few tears (at the broken connection to us). hehe...wait, am I dark in my humor or what? *slinks off*
Last edited by azule on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Valarya wrote:@ucim: Is there any place where your Acts of the Cleric can be read in full? Or do I just have to follow the trail-marks left at the bottom of each post?
There is a link to the wiki page, and from there you can go to any chapter (you can right-click or center-click to open in a new tab so you can bypass the ad and keep the wiki open).

Thanks! I've missed a lot of the story back during the fast-moving-OTT days and want to fill in the blanks. :oops: :wink:
Last edited by Valarya on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Re: grief on Time ending - (esp triggered by rvloon's post and Sciscitor's unrelated comment)
Grief is not an emotion to be avoided, but to be relished; as when it comes, it is a way of re-experiencing one's connection to whatever it is that has brought these emotions out in the first place.

I didn't intend it as a party-pooping piece. I sort-of promised, so I came through. I just tried to translate the apparent melancholy mood and voiced concerns into something that fitted the musical piece I was asked to ottify. I am sorry if I soured the mood.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
ucim wrote:Re: grief on Time ending - (esp triggered by rvloon's post and Sciscitor's unrelated comment)

I didn't intend it as a party-pooping piece. I sort-of promised, so I came through. I just tried to translate the apparent melancholy mood and voiced concerns into something that fitted the musical piece I was asked to ottify. I am sorry if I soured the mood.

Ronald

It was lovely.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
And hey, you wrote a book! That's so cool. Is it only available for Kindle? Because I'm Kindle-less. I read a little of the preview, and it sounds treeish! (But not like Entish.)

Amazon made it super easy to self-publish, maybe in a while I'll consider publishing it elsewhere too, but for now, only kindle, sorry :( . But thanks for the interest :)

Wow!? Someone who hasn't heard of Calibre ?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

Wow!? Someone who hasn't heard of Calibre ?

Wait, I've not hear of Calibre. I can see it's an e-book manager, but can it be used as an e-book reader? (i just noticed that entry which says it can)
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

Oops... somebody forgot to molpy down last night. That would explain why I've been so tired all day...
I'd better coma before I fall asleep on the keyboard (you know how dangerous that can be)
Not redundant
Spoiler:

Also not redundant
Spoiler:
Bonus hatted hamster!

I will be in a much more useful/productive/creative state tomorrow. Probably.
He/Him/His Image

monkeygentleman

Postby monkeygentleman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time poster, etc. etc.

I've been a fan of xkcd for years, occasionally stopped by explainxkcd for some of the more obscure jokes, read through the excellent what-ifs, and recently reminded of the Time comic by the Wired article (and watching the OTC video from start to finish) I've decided to Blitz through the OTT as well. It's... marvelous. Over the last week I've read 471 pages, sharing in the joy, the grief, the wild mass guessing and the endless tangents spawned by the amazing comic and the wonderful community on the forum. Having followed more than a month of the OTT, I feel like I know you all, like I was there. The religions, the inside jokes, the terrible puns, the poetry, the art, the heroes, oh the heroes!

And in the footsteps of BlitzGirl and those who followed her, I too shall make my pilgrimage from first page to last. And while I know it's late, the comic is finished and I've missed out on contributing to the story as it unfolded, I just wanted to leave my own small mark on the OTT, just to prove that I was here. I'm leaving my own flag on the slopes of Mount Everest. I shall see you all at the top.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

*gasp* Vulgar babies!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Some parents are just so tasteless these days. *Tsk tsk tsk* :|
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

You know it's an awkward family photo when you put profane words on the babyhats. Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Non-blindpost since I cheated and peeked at the present agai

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

frame 2714 manip

redundant
Spoiler:
np2714_fore.png

np2714_redundant.png
np2714_redundant.png (3.97 KiB) Viewed 11846 times

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

Someone (I guess it may have been mikro2nd) added three ottifications to the database! Yay! :D
Treeish ones too! I'm a happy molpy.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
schwartzbewithyou wrote:I personally like Kakuro better than Sudoku because it's more of a numbers puzzle and I am a numbers/math nerd at heart. Although Sudokus on the surface appear to be number puzzles, you really just need 9 unique placeholders - as you've demonstrated with using letters - and it's a process of elimination game (I'm not trying to minimize Sudokus - just giving a simple explanation here of how math isn't really involved). With Kakuros, it's a process of elimination, but requires a decent amount of simple/quick math and you're not only eliminating individual numbers, but combinations of numbers. So I just find it a little more complicated and more 'math-y'
What do you think of Ken-ken?

I haven't tried Ken-Ken before, actually I only vaguely recall hearing about it. Looks interesting, I will have to check it out thanks!

ucim wrote:
schwartzbewithyou wrote:Really xuys? You just clicked a spoiler button looking for a cake covered in cat vomit. :shock: Either we are really indiscriminate about cakes or are just dying for content in the OTT :)
I guffawed out loud on that one. Gotta click every spoiler! The redundakitties got us trained!

:lol:
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

AluisioASG

On AotC

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

This is a report from NPs 1063 and 1089.
There's a cross-origin link between documents 16 and 17 of Acts of the Clerics. These redirect to fora.xkcd.com. while the others use forums.xkcd.com. .
The same issue happens from document 18 to document 17.
The last document is highly danagerous.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Trying my first attempt at an end-of-time based ottification. This is an absolutely beautiful song (with a beautiful video) I often forget about and then when I'm reminded of it I remember how much I love it…

The Timewaiter
Ottification of "The Islander" by Nightwish
ETA: mp3 now available!

Spoiler:
An OTTer watched the seashore at the end of Time
Gazes at the oldpix as their sequence loops on by
A newly found island, but frames are all the same
The OTC is ended on a raft without a name

Thread without a comic for waiting ones to see
How can we still live on past the end of OTC?
He shows them the way, lighting hope in their hearts
The life and soul of our thread is too strong to depart

This is the ne'er forgotten
Comic that was their whole world
The oldpix cycling
The frames left behind long ago

The sparrowraptor's flying, making him daydream
The time before the end, when there were still newpix unseen
Beanies in their towers, Cuegan in the fields
Time gave him it all, an escape from the outside world

Now waiting's a memory, a ghost in the past
He closes the tab one last time, says farewell to Time's world
Anchor to the water, castles far below
But the thread still carries on, and he smiles as posts still flow

The oldpix cycling
The frames left behind long ago

So long ago…

The thread ne'er dying,
The tears they left behind so long ago

So long ago...
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:40 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

heinz-ketchup-old-bottle.jpg
heinz-ketchup-old-bottle.jpg (9.14 KiB) Viewed 11784 times

Hm, for some reason, every quote that had a spoiler was mustarding things up and causing a freakpost. Took 'em out, it seems to be ok.

Neil_Boekend wrote:That seems like the behavior, size and looks of a chicada. They do seem to make a hell of a noise. They only do it every several years but they do this with power to compensate.[spoiler]They do this on a prime number of years (7, 11, 13 or 17 years). The long time between events mean that no local predator can specialize on them. They do it en masse because that simply overwhelms the normal predators. The predators eat until they can't walk anymore. When that happens the predators haven't made a dent in the millions upon millons. Those millions climb upon the other millions to make them pregnant. After the egg-laying they all die and fertilize the ground. A noticeable increase in tree growth is the result of that.

Wow. I did not know that about cicadas. We had them growing up. Sometimes you would find an exoskeleton they left behind, which was kinda 4.

azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:azule, great odetity! Your lyrics were a heck of a lot more interesting than the original ones. But that video was...interesting. :?
Hehe, thanks! I feel a bit embarrassed at your description of the video, so in the future all my links are going to be to Aubronwood. P.S. Thanks, Aubron (feels weird not to add the 'wood' (HEHE, wood)) for the !yt update!

Well, I didn't find it too damaging, since I've apparently forgotten what the video was! :D

TheMinim wrote:You all are wonderful and creative people.

Just sayin'. :D

Back at ya!

balthasar_s, treeish manip!

SBN wrote:Don't stress too much. It isn't the case that there is one right answer and all the others are wrong answers. A lot of them can be right, though in different ways. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't use a matrix, we had one for my daughter. You might also consider flipping a coin at some point. Not so much as to give you the answer, but to clarify things to yourself. How you feel during and after the flip will tell you what you really wanted the outcome to be, even when you thought you were undecided.

Yes, that's exactly the way I use coin flips! They can be very revealing.

Dracomax wrote:What about those of us sitting in the corner, quietly fading away?
Still here, by the way...

Don't think we don't see you over there in the corner. The molpy army is everywhere...

mikro2nd, the OTA looks and sounds truly awesomeful. If only you were quite so far away...

Based on your OTTification, it looks like you know what you're doing.

I didn't remember that OtherComic. Hilarious.

schwartzbewithyou, yes, as Val pointed out, we have been well-trained to click any spoilers. For instance, I clicked on every one is Jose's post. :D

intheshax, I have no idea what that code thing you posted was.

Valarya wrote:And I'm in the present again. I sometimes feel like my only posts are short lil 'appreciation' replies since I seem to never be in the present. Hopefully no one minds.

I feel the same about my posts. But I don't mind seeing those kind of posts from others, so I guess it's OK. :)

jovialbard wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Happy 400 posts, jovialbard!

Awww, my first post-stone cake! Now I feel like I belong here :wink:

You only feel like that now? :shock: Maybe you do need an avatar. I found some hatted jovial bards. Do you like either of these?
http://www.elfwood.com/art/m/e/medaglia/bard_wip.jpg
This one's not particularly jovial, except for the hat:
http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs193/1102126619946/img/494.jpg?a=1113126639175

rvloon wrote:I didn't intend it as a party-pooping piece. I sort-of promised, so I came through. I just tried to translate the apparent melancholy mood and voiced concerns into something that fitted the musical piece I was asked to ottify. I am sorry if I soured the mood.

Ronald

No, not at all! Someone did ask for it, and you did it beautifully. It's just, well, sad. But that's OK.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”