1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Zeimusu

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Zeimusu » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

*Delurking*

Has there been any consensus on what a the OTC is? Or at least what a 1-frame per hour animation is called. I'm attempting to set up my own, but what is it? A "Timed movie", an "Unimation"? Suggestions very welcome.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:I don't even know what entropy is, but still, nice t-shirt! :D

Others have explained what entropy is, but I feel like pointing out why the shirt is Related to those who might not remember (it took me a moment to catch it, myself). It references a line from the first post in the thread, reproduced here for others' benefit:
rhomboidal wrote:I have no patience for entropy.

He didn't; we did. (Though rhomboidal has changed his post a few times, once to explain why it shows the most recent frame instead of the first frame, and once to remark that the thread continues despite the conclusion of the comic. Maybe one or two other times as well.)

ETA: Papal decree:
Spoiler:
I'm no pope, you silly duck! I'm the Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer!

Edit2 to celebrate post #1066:
Spoiler:
'cuz the Battle of Hastings was in AD1066, see?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Right, so ....

Mostly Lurking these days, only just catching up on the last few NP's ... ya'll are having WAAAAYYY too much fun!

ALSO - I think I recall reading recently someone saying they'd requested a hat before I retired -- if so, I am more than happy to oblige!

MWAH!!

B

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

WEEDONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Blindpost from NP1334

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

@yappo - Beanies
Spoiler:
NP1327
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:*stops for a moment to appreciate the situational irony of the last post*

For decree: Friendly Beanie-1 Amtoo settles down with Beanette and they make dozens of Beanie Babies.

Dozens of what now?

You know, I was at a family gathering... about a week after Time ___ed, and one of my relatives started talking about Beanies. Of course I knew she was talking about those, but I couldn't help thinking of our Beanies. Image

--------------------

And, another for OTColored:

(frame 1056, click for seaish version)

redundant
Spoiler:
frame1056_colored_smaller.png

frame1056_colored.jpg

frame1056_redundant.png
frame1056_redundant.png (7.06 KiB) Viewed 16755 times

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

mscha wrote:WEEDONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot

I don't understand! I've been gone and now there are these neato new frames ..... where are they coming from? I found mscha's viewer of all 53 timeaftertime frames, but I still don't know why or how it started!

*hustles off to see if the answer is in the wiki somewhere* .....

*returns*

Ok, I didn't find anything that gives me the context, origin and whatnot of these TimeAfterTime frames -- someone please help! Thank you!!

MWAH!
B

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Ok, I didn't find anything that gives me the context, origin and whatnot of these TimeAfterTime frames -- someone please help! Thank you!!

Latent22 is doing them, with some help from another unnamed OTTer.
mscha hosts them in his server, and recently added a version of his viewer; also, newpixbot now posts the luckyONGs (as we are calling them). There is a new one every four nopix.
(You'll fin all this and more browsing the latest pages of the OTT.)

HES

Postby HES » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

Derp. I've just spent the last four hours refreshing the page and wondering where everyone was, without realising I was page goat and y'all were here on np1387...
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

HES wrote:Derp. I've just spent the last four hours refreshing the page and wondering where everyone was, without realising I was page goat and y'all were here on np1387...

Heh - glad to know I'm not the only one who's done that. :)

Sure love seeing these LuckyONGs! And newpixbot is icing on the cake!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

The T-shirt was more about the comment (which I don't really understand, now that I think about it) than actual entropy, but if you want to know what entropy is, listening to the song 'Entropy' by Moxy Früvous would be a good start. :D
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Chapter 25

It was a perilous journey to the base of the waterfall. The BlitzRockets had to be abandoned on the ledge because, as the Pope said, "Where we're going, we must go together", so the hatches were sealed and they were left to their fate, whatever it might be. The water was rising quickly, so they abandoned the campsite and scurried up the ledge. His Meowjesty edfel, the Holy Catographer, joined the Pope at the lead once they were all out of immediate danger, and they determined the best way to get to the base of the waterfall. The ridge they were on split the flow and allowed them to get close to the center of the cataract, but it also meant that they were trapped on an island as the sea was rising. The Pope knew this, and so did edfel, but most of the clerecy simply put their faith in the Pope. He didn't look like a baobab, but he did seem to know what he was doing.
Spoiler:
The noise was deafening. Even though the waterfall was still eight kiloque away, the thundering roar of the water cascading over a vertical drop a thousand times the height of a person echoed throughout the valley, mingling with the churning rapids below that were, even as they watched, carving a new channel in the very rock upon which they were riding. It was extremely difficult for the clerecy to talk to each other, and in the noise, BlitzGirl could hardly hear the foreign couple, nor they her, as they tried to communicate. But this turned out to be an advantage. Even though she couldn't hear the words, she could put together the meaning from their gestures, which were exaggerated to compensate for the din around them. She did the same, making lexical leaps with abandon, and the sounds started to filter in and make sense in context. She got a lot wrong, but that was quickly corrected, and pretty soon she was communicating with the couple as easily as the clerecy was communicating amongst themselves. That is to say, not very well, but it was something.

Even on coconuts, it took a full ong to cover the distance to the edge of the narrow slip of land they were clinging to. The mist coming off the falls was thick, giving the entire ride a surreal look in the morning sun, and slowing them down enough so they could appreciate its awefulsomeness. As they got closer, the sheer height of the waterfall began to overwhelm the clerecy, as if they were walking into the terrifying mouth of the Creator itself. It was a true test of their faith, not only in the Pope, but in all that they believed in. Each one felt humbled by the faith that the rest of the clerecy had in continuing on, and emboldened by that devotion, drew further on his or her own. None of them however realized that everyone else felt the same way, or they would have long ago turned back. The Pope was right, where they were going, they had to go together.

Soon they came to the end, and for better or for worse, could go no farther. The waterfall stretched in front of them from left to right as far as the eye could penetrate. It would go clear to the horizon if the mist would allow them to see that far. So great was the height from which it cascaded that the torrents of water seemed to be falling from the sky itself.

If ever there was a time to feel insignificant in the face of nature, this was it.

The Pope took the Holy Arrow of Armageddon out from under his cloak, and turned to face the clerecy. In a voice that would have echoed across the valley, he spoke, but nobody heard anything over the noise. Realizing the futility of this, he stopped and turned to the second scribe and said, "Take this, the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, and wish upon it your most fervent desires, and imbue it with all your faith and all your strength. We must do this, each and every one in the clerecy, ere we loose this power against this Most Holy Torrent, that it not destroy us, but instead nourish us in Glory."

The second scribe took the Holy Arrow of Armageddon from the Pope, bowed her head, made her wishes and prayers, and then passed it on to edfel, saying "Take this, the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, and wish for your most fervent desires, imbuing it with all your faith and strength. Each cleric must do this ere we loose this power against this Most Holy Torrent, that it nourish us in Glory and not destroy us."

Then edfel took the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, bowed his head, made his wishes and prayers, and passed it on to CasCat, saying "Take this Arrow, and fervently desire all your faith and strength. We must all do this ere we lose the battle against the Holy Torrent, and nourish it in Glory as it destroys us."

CasCat took the Holy Arrow of Armageddon with a look of puzzlement, bowed her head, thinking to herself that she wished he were strong and had enough faith. She then handed it over to the fourth cleric, saying, "Take this fervent Arrow with all your faith and strength as we lose the battle against the Holy Torrent as it destroys us in Glory."

It went on like this until the sixth scribe got the Arrow. Rather than pray, he walked up to the Pope and asked, "Are you sure you have the right prayer?" He told the Pope what the previous holder had told him, and the Pope thought for a moment. He then gave the Holy Arrow of Armageddon back to the Second Scribe, and asked if she could repeat the prayer verbatim.

"Of course I can. I'm a scribe.", she said, and she repeated it back flawlessly. The Pope then told her to carry the sacred Artifact to each and every member of the clerecy herself, so that the proper instructions would be carried out. This worked out much better, and she could feel the power of the Arrow increase each time. This took the better part of an ong, as the sea continued to rise. Soon the water had reached up over the edge of the ledge and their little prominence started getting smaller, but by that time all the prayers had been made, and the second scribe brought the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, now bristling with Power, back to the Pope. BlitzGirl followed her, trailed by with the foreign couple, who were talking agitatedly.

The Pope took the Holy Arrow from the second scribe with reverence, and felt its new Power. It would not be enough. He looked over the clerecy as the waters crept around them; how could it not be enough? This represented the entire faith - all the hopes and dreams and fears of everyone there. And everyone was there... except of course for the Blitzers, who were still on their Quest. He contemplated this. We are all vital to the life of the clerecy, including the blitzers, and this Arrow is now reflecting this very fact. But we must act now or there won't be anything for them to return to when their Quest is done. The Pope bowed his head, and once again made his prayer unto the Arrow, with all his most fervent desires, all his faith, and all his strength. Still, it was not going to be enough.

BlitzGirl interrupted his reverie. "I think I understand what our friends are on about!", she said. She pointed downstream. "Their family, their friends, all that they know and love, is there. They tried to rescue them but could not. They are asking for our help. Somehow." The two foreigners began to speak excitedly to the Pope, but the Pope could not hear or understand anything above the din of the waterfall and the rapids. He looked at them, then at BlitzGirl.

"Do you think you can tell them what the Prayer over the Arrow means?", asked the Pope. "Do you think they can do it?"

"I don't know", she replied, "but I'll try." At that moment there was a huge noise off in the mist, as if a mountain had broken off and fallen into the sea. Everybody heard it, and to say they were not frightened would put the Redwood Forest on Pinocchio's nose.

"There is do, and do not. There is no try", said the Pope, as the wave of mist and spray from whatever had collapsed passed over the shrinking island.

BlitzGirl took the Arrow, and in her halting version of whatever it is that she thought they were speaking, tried to explain. She gestured towards whence they came, saying "Smopu Glie, kavinchi... uh... manhieb? manhiobu?...", and she raised her hands up. Then she held the Arrow, pointed to her head, and then to theirs, and looked intently at the Arrow. "Ambenni... bu", she said, and held the Arrow tightly and closed her eyes. "Smopu abmenni... uh... ambenni! Kiepu glie."

They weren't getting it.

She gestured to the whole clerecy and said to the couple, "Smopu manhiobu... kai kiepu manhi. Manhiu?... manahi?..." Suddenly the woman's eyes grew wide with what BlitzGirl hoped was understanding, but in any case she took the Arrow and held it tightly, saying "Ini kai manho ka vi miuto!" and the man put his hands around the Arrow. Both bowed their heads intensely.

They kept holding the Arrow, and did not move, even as the waters reached them. BlitzGirl wanted to hurry them up, but she knew better. She'd have to wait for it. While this was happening, the First Cleric strode up to the Pope. "Don't you think you ought to consult the Book of Armaments?"

The Pope responded, "I know the Book of Armaments inside and out. I could recite it to you if there were time, but there isn't."

"We have been carrying the Book of Armaments on this entire quest, you have only one Holy Arrow of Armageddon, don't screw it up.", said the First Cleric. He had a point. If only there were time. "The foreigners have our Sacred Artifact, what else are you going to do?", he asked.

The Pope realized that the best thing to do was to appease the First Cleric. "Would you like to make the call?", he asked. The First Cleric replied with a big smile.

"Bring out the Book of Armaments!", he shouted, but nobody heard him. However, celestial music started playing from somewhere, and it sounded Glorious.

Further down the line, the fifth cleric heard it. "Isn't that the music for the Book of Armaments?", he asked a nearby herald. If anybody were to know which tune goes with which Holy Action, it would be the herald.

"Yes, by Randall, it is!" There is a commotion, as others take note of the music, and the sixth scribe, who was carrying this particular book, came forward, asking if the Pope had called for the Book. Indeed, he had. He gestured to the First Cleric, who opened the Book and began to read. "First gather ye all the clerecy, the timewaiters, the scribes, the heralds, the clerics, yea even the Pope shall ye gather together. All must say the Prayer of Armageddon upon the Arrow, and it goes thus: 'Take this, the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, and wish upon it your most fervent desires, and imbue it with all your faith and all your strength. We must do this, each and every one in the clerecy, ere we loose this power against fill in whatever threatens you, that it not destroy us, but instead nourish us in Glory.'"

Mouthing the words as the First Cleric is reading them, the Pope grew impatient. "Yes, we have done all this", he said. "Skip on a bit."

The foreign couple finished whatever it was they were doing with the Holy Arrow of Armageddon and returned it to BlitzGirl, who brought it back to the Pope. It had gained much in power; the Pope could feel it. This would be enough.

The First Cleric continued reading, as the Glorious Celestial Music continued. "Draw tight your bow, and loose the Holy Arrow of Armageddon upon the very root of thy Great Calamity, and if I feel like doing so, I will snuff it."

"Bow.... bow... did anybody think to bring a bow?", asked the Pope. Nobody answered directly, but the commotion and consternation gave credence to the idea that there was, in fact, no bow to be had. "Molpy Chirping Mustard on a Kaiser Roll!", exclaimed the Pope. The noise from the rapids and the waterfall ensured that nobody heard him, but it was clear that an alternate plan would be a good idea to consider. Unfortunately, there were no alternate plans.

"How about a boa?", asked BlitzGirl, as she removed the pink boa that had been her trademark from the halcyon days of the Buffydashery. The ends of her boa were quickly fastened to the ends of the pole that held the banner she carried with her when she led the caravan, and with the rushing water already almost up to their knees, four of the clerecy struggled for footing as they held the pole horizontally. The Pope himself fastened the tail of the arrow to the boa, and rested the shaft on the pole, pointing directly towards the waterfall. He bowed his head and pulled back with all his might, saying, "In nomine unium verium auctor, et per auctorii heretecii, in observatium uniae veriae comiciae, in servitum unium verium needlepullythingium, et sub occulae unium verium congretatii, nus oreamus que des flechia cumo raptorum volati, et des perilae nus salvadorae."

As the celestial music reached its climax, and with all the clerecy and the foreign couple watching intently, the Pope loosed the Holy Arrow of Armageddon at the very heart of the raging cascade of water they had come to face.

Legend has it that all the sounds around them stopped as the Holy Artifact became airborne, and the mist parted to let it through in a graceful arc that carried it up, and up, and nearly out of sight save for the pink boa trailing from the tail. It seems that it had preferred the company of the Holy Arrow of Armageddon itself to the makeshift bow that launched it. The Arrow continued up as if propelled by a Holy Force, but after a while slowed its ascent, reaching its peak when it was barely visible, and then the Arrow, trailing BlitzGirl's boa, began to gently curve back down to earth. With no sound, not even the sound of breathing, the clerecy watched, and watched, until the arrow was too far away and had faded from view. Their eyes followed where the Arrow would be if they could see it falling towards its target, even though they could not in fact see anything as small as an arrow that far away. They had to take it on faith. Lower and lower in their field of view they followed the phantom Arrow in their minds eyes.

It wouldn't take much longer for it to reach its mark, but still, they would have to wait for it.
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1366) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | next (NP 1411) -->
Last edited by ucim on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:13 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:The T-shirt was more about the comment (which I don't really understand, now that I think about it) than actual entropy, but if you want to know what entropy is, listening to the song 'Entropy' by Moxy Früvous would be a good start. :D

Entropy is also sometimes used to refer to chaos or change. That may clarify it a bit.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

WaitONG for it

HES

Postby HES » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

Lucky really needs to turn 90 degrees and RUN to higher ground. Or hope the squirpy and pricklymolp are willing to take another passenger...
He/Him/His Image

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:WaitONG for it
Spoiler:

Can you see what lucky has just spotted?

Thanks mscha for the cool Timeaftertime viewer!

A hint to anyone wanting to post the latest ONG. You can now use his viewer to wait for the next newpix. Just look for the last posted one and add 4 hours on to find the hour it will be posted and then check his viewer. Refresh it and go to the last frame. Then in the embed bbcode link section at the bottom click the "both" link and push ctrl-C to copy the link it makes. Now paste this into a new thread message and you now have the image and the link to the viewer all done for you.

You can either use a link like this:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/vieweraftertime/lucky0025

Or click on a previous ONG that has the viewer link built in to get to the viewer.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

Been doing the "Lurking Thing" most recently (my new temp position is a little on the mind-numbing sideA), so I'm reading but can't quite get words to form sentences.
-----
Let's see if I can blitz thru a sea-ish post (and show I'm paying attention.)
@mscha: It's nice to see your gifs back on: like the "bobbing raft" and molpy hunting with Lucky. I liked you trip pics from US50. Having lived in Nevada and made the trip from Reno to Vegas several times and the one from Reno to the east (and back) even more times; all I can say is, "Yep, that's Nevada." (Did you drive all the way across the U.S. that year?) And it's nice to see newpixbot is back. But it does look like he's doing the lion's share of posting the LuckyONGs.
@higgs-boson: Had some awesomefull trip pictures, too.
@BlitzGirl, yappo, and Latent22: Wowderfull awesomefull collaboration on "Rest Here with Me".
@BlitzGirl: "When Time is Gone" was prefect. Plus some neat OTTcomics, too.
@yappo, airdrik, Angelastic, slinches, Neil_Boekend: All with sea-ish ottifications. (And I think I missed shouting out somebody.) Keep up the fantastic work.C
@balthasar_s: Had a way cool mash-up. I liked it.
@waveney: Love the OTTcomics. Keep them coming.
@Whizbang: It looks like your going to OTTcomic Randall's entire run before to long. (Just don't use up all the jokes...) Great Stuff....
@Latent22 (and mystery helper): I'm enjoying the Lucky Story and can't "wait"D to find out how Lucky's going to get out of this. {Unless: The ottermolpy shows up with a bunch of friends (or the log from the other tall) and gives Lucky and Snappy a ride} So, a tip o' the hat sir.
@mikro2nd: The What d'If beer/ale (?) is sounding plenty fine. I see I'm not the only OTTer who like to try a mug or two. (Just watch out. Ten minutes after you post you're "tapping the keg", you hear the door knock, look outside and see a long line of folks you've never seen before, all wearing "Wait For It" t-shirts, and all with empty mugs in their hands. {Yes, I know no true OTTer would just descend on another OTTer's door unannounced. I know that all informal meet-ups would occur with much planning and all that. But I did like riffing on the idea of "Pop the first bottle", knock-knock: "It's Carlton. Your Doorman." and a hand with an empty mug appears through the opening.})
@k.bookbinder: I hope your job interview went okay. (And I hope you did such a good interview, they decide to oust their CEO and give you that job!)
Welcome backs for Caswallon, Opiboble (with a new job!) and Helper (and I'm so sorry to hear about not finding your beloved dog. But you keep hearing about pets showing up after a long absence on the news. I hope to hear that yours will be one of those.)
New Poster Greetings to monkeygentleman, Maugrim, MistyCat, ZeimusuE: Hi to all of you.
Belated Anniversary Congratulations To:
schwartzbewithyou your 50 posts only look small in number, but your skills have put you in the middle of the action.
airdrik gets 100 posts, and entertains with every one.
Kieryn does 800 posts while mantaining another site and keeping track of all of us.
Eternal Density hit 1400 posts on the fora (and I think you once said over half of them were here in "Time".) So, congrats on 700 here.
BlitzGirl with 2500 posts and climbing (heck it'll probably be 26 or 27 hundred by the time I getthis published....)
----
And while I'm constructing this in my little note pad I see ucim has posted Acts, Chapter 25, which I'll have to read after getting this up.
This isn't even dealing with some of the other things I wanted to say. I even have an OTC-OtherComic--mash-up I'm want to do.
-----
A They call it an inventory, but there's no counting. They're setting up a new website so the parts can be purchased on-line, and they need the weight of each part. I "get" to: scan the bar code on the bin, pull the part, weigh it, put the part back in the bin, and move to the next part. And I need to do 1000 parts a day. Myself and another fellow have been at it for two weeks; we're almost finished with the first section.
The only "fun" part are a couple of labels I've seen: One said "Rational fuse" and another said "Karma valve"B
B
Spoiler:
("Karma valve": My John Lennon cover band.....)

C I know, I know I'm not using OTTwords.... (To the comfy chair with me, I guess.)
D Well, okay, I guess I can "Wait for it". (I've had some practice lately.
------
E And right at the top of the page, after I logged in here's this first post:
Zeimusu wrote:*Delurking*

Has there been any consensus on what a the OTC is? Or at least what a 1-frame per hour animation is called. I'm attempting to set up my own, but what is it? A "Timed movie", an "Unimation"? Suggestions very welcome.

"The Slowest Animated Movie Ever" is somewhere around the consensus.
And, again "Welcome."
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Didn't get on the OTT yesterdip as Iron SeaWolpy had another gig... just an acoustic set this time opening up a larger metal night, but more of an epic quest as it was on the other side of the country. Despite being a folk metal band doing an acoustic set opening for a bunch of much heavier metal and deathcore type bands, we were actually surprisingly well-recieved and it went wowterfully :mrgreen:

Also just an apology for not getting anywhere with various projects - OTVO, the soundtrack, smileys... Had a lot of outside things going on lately, and I have enough trouble keeping track of all my various projects as it is. All being well, outside things should've subsided a little by next week.
Image (Seaish)
HES wrote:Sudden inspiration
Spoiler:
Come on everybody Molpy up
Now you're looking good
I'm gonna OTTify and you'll say "oh my!"
We gotta do the Blitz and follow our checklist

Come on let's Blitz again like we did last summer
Yea, let's Blitz again like we did last year
Do you remember when Time was slowly fading
Yea, let's Blitz again, Blitzin' time is here

Yeah on 'n on 'n through newpages we go again
Oh chirping molpies will annoy me so, and then

Yea, let's Blitz again like we did last year
Do you remember when bags were really punnin'

Yeah on 'n on 'n through newpages we go again
The water's rising, Cuegan time to go, and then

:mrgreen: That was much fun, I loved it! Nice to have a more light hearted and uplifting end-of-time based ottification! That song's in my head now too :P
Latent22 wrote:Well I'm currently the one releasing them but I can't claim all the credit as I've got someone else helping out with the content as well. You can have the fun speculating on who that might be.

When you first mentioned you had someone helping I assumed BlitzGirl since she's the best-known artist around these parts, but she seems to know about it as little as the rest of us so now I'm not so sure... Unless she's very good at hiding it ;)
ergman wrote:Ding dong! It's me, I'm back! Well sort of. After an amazing summer with very little time for OTC, I find myself with roughly 200 pages of ketchup. Atleast I won't have to find a book for a while. I'm posting this blind post because there's quite a lot of time ending soon, and very few people online. It has me very worried, though it could just be the usual weekend slump.
Here's a little past present for those of you still kicking around. (Anyone remember me?)
Spoiler:

It doesn't directly have anything to do with Time, but looking back at it, I definitely had some OTC inspiration.

Welcome back! Lovely and treeish drawing! And uh oh, we've got another who doesn't know yet :( ... do we have any ice cream left?
ChronosDragon wrote:TThe Temeraire series, by Naomi Novik. I could wax poetic on the utterly engrossing alternative history Napoleonic Wars they describe, the thorough and realistic depictions of dragons and their relationships to the civilizations of Man, and the riveting and gut-wrenchingly exciting plot following a Navy captain who, by random chance, falls into the captainhood of an imperious and remarkable Celestial dragon, but - well, I guess I kind of did so already. I'm re-reading the whole thing, as I own all the books and as I mentioned, it's my absolute favorite series, but also because the seventh book just came out (out of nine). I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy, sci fi, historical fiction, or even modern fiction/literary type books.

That looks really treeish, thanks for the reccomendation! *adds to reading list*
Kazza3 wrote:Hi all, I'm afraid I'm off. I haven't been posting much and I can't see myself really doing so in the future, I've never been much of a social poster on forums and without the OTC there's not enough drive to keep me coming back. Plus my internet time has recently been taken up by some incredibly shocking & exciting occurrences on another forum (I know; it's not you, it's me). Plus I should probably do some work or something.

Anyway, the OTT is one of the most astoundingly welcoming, warm, friendly, creative & intelligent things I have ever seen the interblag produce. Some just amazing pieces of discussion, analysis & art. Hope you all continue to post, have fun, and keep in touch with each other!

I'll let myself into the basement.

B...but you were another musician-type person! We need as many of us around as we can! :(
But not to worry, nobody escapes the basement :twisted:
SBN wrote:Uh-ONG
Spoiler:

Ottermolpy!! Am I in the OTC (well, a spin off of it) at last!? See, for us ottermolpies, the rising sea is no problem ;)
Time would've been very different had Megball been otters. "Wow, the sea is rising!" "Neat. Let's float on it!" "Yeah." The End.
mscha wrote:Can't Help Following
based on Elvis' Can't Help Falling In Love
Spoiler:
Outside says only fools rush in
But I can't help following the One True Thread
Shall I stay
Would it be heresy
If I can't help following the One True Thread

Like a river flows sometimes to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
OTTify, read a post unread
For I can't help following the One True Thread

Like a rising sea breaks the castle down
Darling so it goes
We will still be around
OTTify, read a post unread

That was a fun and treeish little otty :)
TheMinim wrote:I think it's time to add another message to this thread.

I did stuff and got 2 As, 2 Bs and a C. I'm carrying the As and the C forward. After that I plan to just carry the As forward. Without context this sounds pretty weird.

Grammar!

I presume this is about A level results but I have no idea what you mean by carrying them forward... :? You did 5 subjects though? My 6th form only offered 4 maximum, and I just did 3... got BAA. Sheep Woolpy grades :mrgreen: So in a way, same as you, only you got an extra B and C too :P. Congrats!
azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Also, is awefulsome the same as awesomeful?

It is my suggestion that they are basically the same except through connotation. Awfulsome has the connotation of awful but is still mostly positive. Awesomeful obviously has awesome as its base and the most overall positive word.

Well usually awefulsome is written like that, with a strike through, to indicate it is indeed awesome and not awful, so yeah they're really the same ;)
superluminal wrote:I may have discovered a new way to make sand castles out of sand and water. No salt or coffee or ... needed. I've been doing this for a couple of years, but I can't remember whether I saw someone else doing this on a beach or did I just invent this by myself.
Spoiler:
The idea is to use very wet sand and to pour it on the construction as "layers". It's hard to give exact instrucions on how wet the sand should be, but I suppose you can figure it out quite easily once you try this. It's essential to build near water so you can take sand easily from the water and add it immediately to the construction.

Here are some photos from this summer. Megan and Cueball were still walkONG when these were taken...

(This is just a part of the fortress we built.)

Wow, those are really weird and neat looking! Nice to see sandcastles that look so unusual! It looks like a huge swarm of slithering creatures. Or some strange undersea structure. Weird yet beautiful!
Angelastic wrote:I'm planning to draw a boom-de-yada thingy for something else, so today I skimmed through BlitzGirl's post on tablets, wrote 'Wacom Bamboo Create' on my to-do list, and went out. I found some Wacom Bamboos but no Create, and I bought a not-the-smallest Bamboo Fun (it was either that or what appeared to be the same thing but with anime software instead of PhotoShop Elements), which I now read is what BlitzGirl had in 2008. Hopefully it's a newer model; it looks just like the Bamboo Create picture. Anyway, I eventually managed to get the driver to install and the tutorial to not be in German, and now I can present to you my first tablet drawing: a chibi of Cueball, just done in Inkwell and sent to GraphicConverter because I haven't got around to figuring out how to get the other software yet.
Spoiler:

Hehe, as if Cue's head wasn't as huge and disproportionate enough! Image Neat. I still need to get me one of those too.
BlitzGirl wrote:
Angelastic wrote:(to the tune of 'Somewhere Out There' from An American Tail)

o/` And even though you've mastered it and I can merely dabble-it,
It's nice to think we might be drawing on the same type tablet!

Spoiler:

N'AWWW. Image
MistyCat wrote:Hi there, I'm MistyCat. Male, elderly.
I see XKCD on RSS, and I'm one of the ones who saw only the first frame. Unclean, unclean...
I started blitzing two days ago, I'm now reading Page 100. I shall reach the end.

Mr Munroe, I genuflect in your general direction.

Welcome and good luck on your blitz!
BlitzGirl wrote:It's a good thing we have newpixbot here this wipend while we OTTers are molpying about Outside. Image

*steals this smiley because it's brilliant* Image
superluminal wrote:
Spoiler:

:mrgreen: Love it!
Angelastic wrote:Molpy or Raptor (Lucky's Song)
an ottification of Charlotte or Otis, by Jenny Omnichord
Spoiler:
Are you a little molpy, or are you a little raptor?
Did you just want a hug, or do you wish you had thwapped 'er?

Pixel blob looked safe at first when Lucky came to play
Then Cueball noticed something wrong and jumped into its way.
The cat got Cueball, Meg thwapped it, and it seemed he was okay,
but the damage was revealed after our Lucky ran away.

Megan's leg was bleeding and the claws got Cueball's bag,
So Megan had to use the little flag.
They worried she would need some help, but went back on their way
Through fading light, til they called it a day

Megan had to get some rest, so Cueball stayed up waiting
for jaguars and shooting stars while tiredly contemplating
all his wonderings and worries, till he'd done with concentrating
He woke up Meg in time to hear the chirpy birds migrating.

He couldn't sleep or dream at all no matter how he tried,
Megan bravely bleeding by his side.
But finally fatigue took over, sleep came with a yawn.
Megan shook him back, and it was dawn.

Future Megan had her leg healed, and she learned they had to run
Future Cueball soon forgot what molpyraptorcat had done,
If a molpy, or a raptor, Lucky ran when they came toward it
to the hills on lower ground, and lower safety they afford it.

Teehee! That was a fun otty!
ucim wrote:
Entropy is a measure of the disorder of a system. A system with a warm area and a cool area has less entropy (disorder) than the same system after mixing to a uniform temperature, because (on a molecular scale) there are more different ways the system can "look the same" as a mixed one than as a segregated one. A warm system has greater entropy than an (otherwise) equivalent cool one, because there are more different ways the molecules can be gadding about quickly than there are ways for them to stay still. One of the fundamentals of thermodynamics (and thus, our universe) is that in a closed system, entropy never decreases. Systems tend towards disorder. To impose order ("to reduce entropy") in some given area requires the input of energy, which increases entropy somewhere else.

"Water seeking its level" (and flooding the Mediterranean basin) is another result of the tendency for entropy to increase. Separating the water from the dry land reduces the number of possible arrangements of molecules, and so requires energy (and in increase in entropy elsewhere).

There are specific mathematical expressions that define and govern entropy, but this should do for a start. :)

Ok, I understand that, but what does it have to do with the OTC? Since rhomboidal's opening post said "I have no patience for entropy"... I get that the rising sea relates, but he wrote that right at the start before we knew about that...
waveney wrote:OTTercomic time:
Spoiler:

xkcd.com/856/

Haha! That was a great one. Though not all those words are actually trochees but that doesn't really matter!
Earthling on Mars wrote:And, another for OTColored:

Spoiler:

(frame 1056, click for seaish version)

redundant
Spoiler:
frame1056_colored_smaller.png

frame1056_colored.jpg

frame1056_redundant.png

Lovely! And love the redundapic too! Image
ucim wrote:
Chapter 25

Spoiler:
It was a perilous journey to the base of the waterfall. The BlitzRockets had to be abandoned on the ledge because, as the Pope said, "Where we're going, we must go together", so the hatches were sealed and they were left to their fate, whatever it might be. The water was rising quickly, so they abandoned the campsite and scurried up the ledge. His Meowjesty edfel, the Holy Catographer, joined the Pope at the lead once they were all out of immediate danger, and they determined the best way to get to the base of the waterfall. The ridge they were on split the flow and allowed them to get close to the center of the cataract, but it also meant that they were trapped on an island as the sea was rising. The Pope knew this, and so did edfel, but most of the clerecy simply put their faith in the Pope. He didn't look like a baobab, but he did seem to know what he was doing.

The noise was deafening. Even though the waterfall was still eight kiloque away, the thundering roar of the water cascading over a vertical drop a thousand times the height of a person echoed throughout the valley, mingling with the churning rapids below that were, even as they watched, carving a new channel in the very rock upon which they were riding. It was extremely difficult for the clerecy to talk to each other, and in the noise, BlitzGirl could hardly hear the foreign couple, nor they her, as they tried to communicate. But this turned out to be an advantage. Even though she couldn't hear the words, she could put together the meaning from their gestures, which were exaggerated to compensate for the din around them. She did the same, making lexical leaps with abandon, and the sounds started to filter in and make sense in context. She got a lot wrong, but that was quickly corrected, and pretty soon she was communicating with the couple as easily as the clerecy was communicating amongst themselves. That is to say, not very well, but it was something.

Even on coconuts, it took a full ong to cover the distance to the edge of the narrow slip of land they were clinging to. The mist coming off the falls was thick, giving the entire ride a surreal look in the morning sun, and slowing them down enough so they could appreciate its awefulsomeness. As they got closer, the sheer height of the waterfall began to overwhelm the clerecy, as if they were walking into the terrifying mouth of the Creator itself. It was a true test of their faith, not only in the Pope, but in all that they believed in. Each one felt humbled by the faith that the rest of the clerecy had in continuing on, and emboldened by that devotion, drew further on his or her own. None of them however realized that everyone else felt the same way, or they would have long ago turned back. The Pope was right, where they were going, they had to go together.

Soon they came to the end, and for better or for worse, could go no farther. The waterfall stretched in front of them from left to right as far as the eye could penetrate. It would go clear to the horizon if the mist would allow them to see that far. So great was the height from which it cascaded that the torrents of water seemed to be falling from the sky itself.

If ever there was a time to feel insignificant in the face of nature, this was it.

The Pope took the Holy Arrow of Armageddon out from under his cloak, and turned to face the clerecy. In a voice that would have echoed across the valley, he spoke, but nobody heard anything over the noise. Realizing the futility of this, he stopped and turned to the second scribe and said, "Take this, the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, and wish upon it your most fervent desires, and imbue it with all your faith and all your strength. We must do this, each and every one in the clerecy, ere we loose this power against this Most Holy Torrent, that it not destroy us, but instead nourish us in Glory."

The second scribe took the Holy Arrow of Armageddon from the Pope, bowed her head, made her wishes and prayers, and then passed it on to edfel, saying "Take this, the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, and wish for your most fervent desires, imbuing it with all your faith and strength. Each cleric must do this ere we loose this power against this Most Holy Torrent, that it nourish us in Glory and not destroy us."

Then edfel took the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, bowed his head, made his wishes and prayers, and passed it on to CasCat, saying "Take this Arrow, and fervently desire all your faith and strength. We must all do this ere we lose the battle against the Holy Torrent, and nourish it in Glory as it destroys us."

CasCat took the Holy Arrow of Armageddon with a look of puzzlement, bowed his head, thinking to himself that he wished he were strong and had enough faith. He then handed it over to the fourth cleric, saying, "Take this fervent Arrow with all your faith and strength as we lose the battle against the Holy Torrent as it destroys us in Glory."

It went on like this until the sixth scribe got the Arrow. Rather than pray, he walked up to the Pope and asked, "Are you sure you have the right prayer?" He told the Pope what the previous holder had told him, and the Pope thought for a moment. He then gave the Holy Arrow of Armageddon back to the Second Scribe, and asked if she could repeat the prayer verbatim.

"Of course I can. I'm a scribe.", she said, and she repeated it back flawlessly. The Pope then told her to carry the sacred Artifact to each and every member of the clerecy herself, so that the proper instructions would be carried out. This worked out much better, and she could feel the power of the Arrow increase each time. This took the better part of an ong, as the sea continued to rise. Soon the water had reached up over the edge of the ledge and their little prominence started getting smaller, but by that time all the prayers had been made, and the second scribe brought the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, now bristling with Power, back to the Pope. BlitzGirl followed her, trailed by with the foreign couple, who were talking agitatedly.

The Pope took the Holy Arrow from the second scribe with reverence, and felt its new Power. It would not be enough. He looked over the clerecy as the waters crept around them; how could it not be enough? This represented the entire faith - all the hopes and dreams and fears of everyone there. And everyone was there... except of course for the Blitzers, who were still on their Quest. He contemplated this. We are all vital to the life of the clerecy, including the blitzers, and this Arrow is now reflecting this very fact. But we must act now or there won't be anything for them to return to when their Quest is done. The Pope bowed his head, and once again made his prayer unto the Arrow, with all his most fervent desires, all his faith, and all his strength. Still, it was not going to be enough.

BlitzGirl interrupted his reverie. "I think I understand what our friends are on about!", she said. She pointed downstream. "Their family, their friends, all that they know and love, is there. They tried to rescue them but could not. They are asking for our help. Somehow." The two foreigners began to speak excitedly to the Pope, but the Pope could not hear or understand anything above the din of the waterfall and the rapids. He looked at them, then at BlitzGirl.

"Do you think you can tell them what the Prayer over the Arrow means?", asked the Pope. "Do you think they can do it?"

"I don't know", she replied, "but I'll try." At that moment there was a huge noise off in the mist, as if a mountain had broken off and fallen into the sea. Everybody heard it, and to say they were not frightened would put the Redwood Forest on Pinocchio's nose.

"There is do, and do not. There is no try", said the Pope, as the wave of mist and spray from whatever had collapsed passed over the shrinking island.

BlitzGirl took the Arrow, and in her halting version of whatever it is that she thought they were speaking, tried to explain. She gestured towards whence they came, saying "Smopu Glie, kavinchi... uh... manhieb? manhiobu?...", and she raised her hands up. Then she held the Arrow, pointed to her head, and then to theirs, and looked intently at the Arrow. "Ambenni... bu", she said, and held the Arrow tightly and closed her eyes. "Smopu abmenni... uh... ambenni! Kiepu glie."

They weren't getting it.

She gestured to the whole clerecy and said to the couple, "Smopu manhiobu... kai kiepu manhi. Manhiu?... manahi?..." Suddenly the woman's eyes grew wide with what BlitzGirl hoped was understanding, but in any case she took the Arrow and held it tightly, saying "Ini kai manho ka vi miuto!" and the man put his hands around the Arrow. Both bowed their heads intensely.

They kept holding the Arrow, and did not move, even as the waters reached them. BlitzGirl wanted to hurry them up, but she knew better. She'd have to wait for it. While this was happening, the First Cleric strode up to the Pope. "Don't you think you ought to consult the Book of Armaments?"

The Pope responded, "I know the Book of Armaments inside and out. I could recite it to you if there were time, but there isn't."

"We have been carrying the Book of Armaments on this entire quest, you have only one Holy Arrow of Armageddon, don't screw it up.", said the First Cleric. He had a point. If only there were time. "The foreigners have our Sacred Artifact, what else are you going to do?", he asked.

The Pope realized that the best thing to do was to appease the First Cleric. "Would you like to make the call?", he asked. The First Cleric replied with a big smile.

"Bring out the Book of Armaments!", he shouted, but nobody heard him. However, celestial music started playing from somewhere, and it sounded Glorious.

Further down the line, the fifth cleric heard it. "Isn't that the music for the Book of Armaments?", he asked a nearby herald. If anybody were to know which tune goes with which Holy Action, it would be the herald.

"Yes, by Randall, it is!" There is a commotion, as others take note of the music, and the sixth scribe, who was carrying this particular book, came forward, asking if the Pope had called for the Book. Indeed, he had. He gestured to the First Cleric, who opened the Book and began to read. "First gather ye all the clerecy, the timewaiters, the scribes, the heralds, the clerics, yea even the Pope shall ye gather together. All must say the Prayer of Armageddon upon the Arrow, and it goes thus: 'Take this, the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, and wish upon it your most fervent desires, and imbue it with all your faith and all your strength. We must do this, each and every one in the clerecy, ere we loose this power against fill in whatever threatens you, that it not destroy us, but instead nourish us in Glory.'"

Mouthing the words as the First Cleric is reading them, the Pope grew impatient. "Yes, we have done all this", he said. "Skip on a bit."

The foreign couple finished whatever it was they were doing with the Holy Arrow of Armageddon and returned it to BlitzGirl, who brought it back to the Pope. It had gained much in power; the Pope could feel it. This would be enough.

The First Cleric continued reading, as the Glorious Celestial Music continued. "Draw tight your bow, and loose the Holy Arrow of Armageddon upon the very root of thy Great Calamity, and if I feel like doing so, I will snuff it."

"Bow.... bow... did anybody think to bring a bow?", asked the Pope. Nobody answered directly, but the commotion and consternation gave credence to the idea that there was, in fact, no bow to be had. "Molpy Chirping Mustard on a Kaiser Roll!", exclaimed the Pope. The noise from the rapids and the waterfall ensured that nobody heard him, but it was clear that an alternate plan would be a good idea to consider. Unfortunately, there were no alternate plans.

"How about a boa?", asked BlitzGirl, as she removed the pink boa that had been her trademark from the halcyon days of the Buffydashery. The ends of her boa were quickly fastened to the ends of the pole that held the banner she carried with her when she led the caravan, and with the rushing water already almost up to their knees, four of the clerecy struggled for footing as they held the pole horizontally. The Pope himself fastened the tail of the arrow to the boa, and rested the shaft on the pole, pointing directly towards the waterfall. He bowed his head and pulled back with all his might, saying, "In nomine unium verium auctor, et per auctorii heretecii, in observatium uniae veriae comiciae, in servitum unium verium needlepullythingium, et sub occulae unium verium congretatii, nus oreamus que des flechia cumo raptorum volati, et des perilae nus salvadorae."

As the celestial music reached its climax, and with all the clerecy and the foreign couple watching intently, the Pope loosed the Holy Arrow of Armageddon at the very heart of the raging cascade of water they had come to face.

Legend has it that all the sounds around them stopped as the Holy Artifact became airborne, and the mist parted to let it through in a graceful arc that carried it up, and up, and nearly out of sight save for the pink boa trailing from the tail. It seems that it had preferred the company of the Holy Arrow of Armageddon itself to the makeshift bow that launched it. The Arrow continued up as if propelled by a Holy Force, but after a while slowed its ascent, reaching its peak when it was barely visible, and then the Arrow, trailing BlitzGirl's boa, began to gently curve back down to earth. With no sound, not even the sound of breathing, the clerecy watched, and watched, until the arrow was too far away and had faded from view. Their eyes followed where the Arrow would be if they could see it falling towards its target, even though they could not in fact see anything as small as an arrow that far away. They had to take it on faith. Lower and lower in their field of view they followed the phantom Arrow in their minds eyes.

It wouldn't take much longer for it to reach its mark, but still, they would have to wait for it.
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1366) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

WowtertreeishAWESOMEFUL! Must be the most exciting AotC yet! :mrgreen:
pelrigg wrote:<snip> They call it an inventory

This just reminded me of something funny. For the longest time I thought an inventory was a workshop where things were invented (I knew of the actual meaning too, but always just presumed it was another meaning). I blame reading a lot of Professor Branestawm as a kid. :P
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Eternal Density

90: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

...fuge but despite the alleged anchoring effects I still seem to be caught in the temporal rip. Help!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Chapter 25

Spoiler:

CasCat took the Holy Arrow of Armageddon with a look of puzzlement, bowed his head, thinking to himself that he wished he were strong and had enough faith. He then handed it over to the fourth cleric, saying, "Take this fervent Arrow with all your faith and strength as we lose the battle against the Holy Torrent as it destroys us in Glory."

They weren't getting it.

Jose
<-- previous (NP 1366) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

Every bit as excellent as I've come to expect of "The Acts". And here I thought the last one was exciting. "The Arrow" hath been loosed and we must "Wait For It".

And it looks like ED needs a Time-Portal Generator of some sort... ucim, do you have any more arrows? All I have is this magic top hat I got from a rabbit over at Pixar (I traded him some carrots for it.)
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Eternal Density

Re: 11

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Wow, mscha, I'm impressed at the new stuff you added to your viewer! :) The "jump to a specific period" feature is so helpful - I used to have to bounce over to the wiki to figure out exactly when a certain event happened in order to find the right newpix number.
Seconded so much! This'll save a lot of Time when I'm finding frames to put into OTTifications.

Also I recently passed the Newpage 1383 Temporal Ref...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Ketch me up before you go-go

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

Awesomeful AotC, ucim. Farewell, pink boa! Image Hope you help that Holy Arrow fly true!
Treeish "Molpy or Raptor (Lucky's Song)" ottification, Angelastic!
Pretty OTTercomic, Earthling on Mars! Love the color you picked for the sky. :)
Welcome, Zeimusu! We aren't very good at coming to a consensus on most things, because that would be a standard ni ni ni molpy molpy wolpy snake it's a snake.
Oh dear, looks like Eternal Density has been caught in a temporal eddy. Can we send some temporal otters out to rescue him?

ggh wrote:
HES wrote:Derp. I've just spent the last four hours refreshing the page and wondering where everyone was, without realising I was page goat and y'all were here on np1387...

Heh - glad to know I'm not the only one who's done that. :)

I've done this too! Thwarted by an OTTer's instinct to wait for it, I suppose. :wink:

superluminal wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
:lol: Brilliant! I suppose this is the first time we see sand on a table instead of a computer? Just brilliant. That should happen more often IRL too.. Except that it's freakingly hard to ottify with a sandcastle.

Cueball is developing sophisticated computational technology through that sandcastle - the possibilities with semencoffeecancerbaconbabiesonice are endless! :mrgreen:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

Maybe in this time of dire punishment threats, we should provide inventories of our basements.

Mine, for example includes:
Far Out and Royal Flush, classic Gottliebs from the early 70's
Table Tennis table -- with over 6 feet of depth at each end for quality rallying.
my Jazz Bass & amp
workshop with an almost-completed Chronulator steampunk clock
and, of course, piles of crap we intend to sell or throw out "one of these days"

Sorry, no comfy chair at the moment.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Maybe in this time of dire punishment threats, we should provide inventories of our basements.

Mine, for example includes:
<snip>
workshop with an almost-completed Chronulator steampunk clock

So in a way it is also an "inventory" by my misunderstood definition! :P
yappobiscuits wrote:This just reminded me of something funny. For the longest time I thought an inventory was a workshop where things were invented (I knew of the actual meaning too, but always just presumed it was another meaning). I blame reading a lot of Professor Branestawm as a kid. :P

Eternal Density

Time: 1190: Re:

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

Professor Branestawm was pretty neat but he didn't always know what he was doing :P

Anyhow, I should warn you all that I'm not about to OTTify anything.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
TheMinim wrote:I think it's time to add another message to this thread.

I did stuff and got 2 As, 2 Bs and a C. I'm carrying the As and the C forward. After that I plan to just carry the As forward. Without context this sounds pretty weird.

Grammar!

I presume this is about A level results but I have no idea what you mean by carrying them forward... :? You did 5 subjects though? My 6th form only offered 4 maximum, and I just did 3... got BAA. Sheep Woolpy grades :mrgreen: So in a way, same as you, only you got an extra B and C too :P. Congrats!

Some institutions offer more. I did 5 ASs then dropped to 4 A2s, but the 5th (and then 4th) was further maths which doesn't really count as a whole extra A-level. I got ABCD - I had my priorities.
He/Him/His Image

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:01 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Easy: just Google for the Rules of Thermodynamics. Colloquially translatable as:

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't get out of the Game.

Cake.

4) If you think of the Game, you lose twenty dollars and my self respect.
5) Game lossage must be announced to everyone around you.

I'd give you a cake, but we all know the cake is a
Spoiler:
PIE!!!
Apple pie, naturally; my sister made it.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Eternal Density

I think I found the cause of the temporal eddy!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:02 am UTC

vulturONG!
Spoiler:
time_vulture.png

ETA whoops I had to forget *something* http://xkcd.com/926/
Last edited by Eternal Density on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:03 am UTC

:lol: Good one, ED!
HES wrote:Some institutions offer more. I did 5 ASs then dropped to 4 A2s, but the 5th (and then 4th) was further maths which doesn't really count as a whole extra A-level. I got ABCD - I had my priorities.

Actually now you mention it, I think mine did offer the opportunity to take a 5th at least for AS.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:09 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Chapter 25

Treeish-o-rific!
And it turns out I did miss a chapter, the double-dactyl/haiku special edition - what a treat!

cellocgw wrote:Maybe in this time of dire punishment threats, we should provide inventories of our basements.
I wish I had a basement. I'm an unrepentant hoarder, so my home's lack of basement, attic or garage is a real bummer for me.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:16 am UTC

ggh wrote:
I wish I had a basement. I'm an unrepentant hoarder, so my home's lack of basement, attic or garage is a real bummer for me.

That's what I use my parents' house for. On top of all my other crap, I own some sizeable furniture for when I eventually have a house of my own. What are spare bedrooms for if not for filling with your children's junk?
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:17 am UTC

Treeish OTTher-Comic, waveney!

That's a colorfulilzation, Earthling!

Yay, new Acts! ⁷terful, ucim! I don't know how you do it, but it's enthralling and hilarious at the same time. Image Image

pelrigg wrote:@mscha: I liked you trip pics from US50. Having lived in Nevada and made the trip from Reno to Vegas several times and the one from Reno to the east (and back) even more times; all I can say is, "Yep, that's Nevada." (Did you drive all the way across the U.S. that year?)

Not that trip, no. Just from the Bay Area (CA) to Utah and back; I'd been in the Bay Area for work, and tacked on a week for a little road trip.
Good luck with the mind-numbing...

Treeish, ED! (But can you add a link to the original?)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:23 am UTC

So, here's my latest attempt at an OTC-OtherComic Mash-up:
OtherComic967,M Frame 1407,M Frame 1409
Spoiler:
prairie-redundant.png

prairie-2.png

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:32 am UTC

Time was clearly a flip-e-book :D
Or maybe it was a speed comic (once per hour is pretty darn fast for a comic)
Or maybe it was a temporal image
Or maybe it was a changy internet thingy

See I can't even get a consensus with myself :)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:34 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:So, here's my latest attempt at an OTC-OtherComic Mash-up:

⁴!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:45 am UTC

HES wrote:
ggh wrote:

That's what I use my parents' house for. On top of all my other crap, I own some sizeable furniture for when I eventually have a house of my own. What are spare bedrooms for if not for filling with your children's junk?

Clever lad! Do you find it's better to thank them with hugs or cake?

E.D., I really enjoy your posts that don't make sense immediately. I guess they satisfy my longing to
Spoiler:
wait for it.

Pretty, Pelrigg!
Agatha the Awesomeful

Eternal Density

This was originally going to be about keyboard attacks.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:53 am UTC

Spoiler:
Her chief weapon is...
cougars.png
cougars.png (16.42 KiB) Viewed 16289 times

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Chainsaws YAY!

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:07 am UTC

:mrgreen: Chainsaws are really something! They can be used for otterfications!
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

I chose to do this one without use of Random!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:08 am UTC

Already, another OTTificatONG of an Othercomic!
The OTT is a dangerous place, as evidenced by all the OTTers who've stopped posting. Todip, we investigate how xey met xeir ends...
Spoiler:
As you can see, I almost died in the process of making this!
dangers.png

@BlitzGirl: WOW!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:25 am UTC

⁴ OTTherComics, ED! (And they look much better using the OTF!)

That's a very impressive otter, BlitzGirl...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:36 am UTC

While lurking, I decided to re-read GLR's "Time" blag, yet again. Mostly to see the "newer" comments since the last "Time" I was there. One that caught my eye was about Rosetta and her way of speaking:
[quote=Mahmoud Al-Qudsi on August 2, 2013 at 6:17 pm]
Quite apart from everything else, I was awestruck by the ingenious usage of scribbles and other madness to obstruct the not-quite-understandable speech of the go-inbetween/translator. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that before, and it really went a long way to connecting the reader to the plight of our two protagonists as they struggled to comprehend the language of this foreign tribe and slowly came to better understand (or were slowly better understood by) the translator.
This is, put simply, a work of genius. Thank you.[/quote]
(p.s. this guy's avatar shows the "TED Talks" logo in the background. I haven't checked to see if he's on the TED website, yet. But if it's true, it's kind of cool the caliber of folks Randall attracts.)
I see that there are now "pingbacks" to other sites that have noted "Time" no longer ONGs. Among them; a blog on The Long Now Foundation website, several really short notes or just a link to either the main page of the OTC or to the blag, and at least two non-English sites. The first one I'm quoting in full (I think it's German or a relative of German?????)
[quote=Hennings blog]
3099 gange “Time”
Posted on 30. juli 2013
Jeg holder meget af xkcd og for dem der ikke har opdaget hans “Time” (tegning #1190), så kan jeg kun anbefale den. Det er en smuk fortælling der viser sig at være en spændende fremtidsvision. Jeg vil ikke afsløre plottet – det kan man læse i Randall Munroe’s eget blog indlæg - men det en tegnefilm der består af 3.099 billeder. I starten kom der et nyt billede på siden hver halve time, siden hver time. For at se filmen kan man f.eks. gå til Geekwagon’s visning.[/quote]
However the second one seems to be a mix of English and something else (I'm only quoting the first paragraph to give all y'all a taste of it (website is called "Out of Cave"):
Hal-hal Keren Tentang xkcd wrote:xkcd adalah salah satu komik yang aku sukai. Beda dari komik lain semacam Naruto atau Superman, komik ini singkat (cuma beberapa panel) dan tokoh-tokohnya berupa stick figure tanpa wajah. Jadi gambarnya simpel banget. Selain itu tema yang diangkat juga nggak biasa, yakni ‘romance, sarcasm, math, and language’.

mscha wrote:<snips front and back>
pelrigg wrote:@mscha: I liked you trip pics from US50. Having lived in Nevada and made the trip from Reno to Vegas several times and the one from Reno to the east (and back) even more times; all I can say is, "Yep, that's Nevada." (Did you drive all the way across the U.S. that year?)

Not that trip, no. Just from the Bay Area (CA) to Utah and back; I'd been in the Bay Area for work, and tacked on a week for a little road trip.
Good luck with the mind-numbing...

So I just took a look at that second trip link of yours and saw the Reno set. "Yea, that's Reno." Actually I lived in Sparks which is the town just to the east of Reno. The two towns used to be separated by country-side, but now, the only way to tell where one ends and the other beings is with the "Now Entering" signs. Of course, that means that Reno-ites like to say, "We live so close to Hell, we can see Sparks." And ever since the two domes were built in downtown Reno (as seen in your first pic labeled "20040828-0946-31") people in Sparks counter with "And Reno's a town with real balls..."
{Enough western humor.}

I did notice ChronosDragon used the term "mid-west" to describe going from California to Utah. When you're west of that North/South line of the eastern borders of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico; you're in the "West" (at least until you start coming down the western side of the Rockies, then you're on the "West Coast") and East of that line you're in the "Great Plains" States (at least to Oklahoma and South) 'til you get to the Mississippi River. And once you cross "Ol' Man River", then you're in the "Mid-west" ("What?" I know that one has always gotten me. The "mid-west" is east of the Mississippi River.) Yes, I know I'm forgetting about the "South", the "Appalachian" states, the "East Coast" and "New England". (Westerners like to remind folks from the "East" that we have counties larger than some states in the east. And then the folks from Alaska start chiming in....)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”