1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

-Blindpost NP 1427-

azule wrote:Image

Holy shit, I finally found Vytron in the XKCDSW thread...and he's a fucking Blitzer from way back in 2009!

I hereby declare him to be BlitzGirl The Zeroeth. 8-)

P.S. None of your images worked *sad molpy face* so could you reattach them or something so I may marvel at what the Present dwellers of that thread got to enjoy, please! (Peaking ahead with the viewer I find that a few still work, such as this great one of #659.)

Wow! BlitzGirl the Zeroth sounds so cool! Unfortunately, yes, back in 2009 I was blitzing through the xkcd archive, and through the xkcdsw thread, but unfortunately, I could never do it :(

I never finished blitzing, I've never continued blitzing since my last contribution, so, huh, how do I finish this phrase now?? Oh, I know, distraction!

I'm going to start reposting my xkcdsws from back then that were deleted in the great wipe of attachments that happened at some point. One per day, wait for it!

Links to some of the ones I've made that weren't lost:

http://xkcdsw.com/2335
http://xkcdsw.com/2336

Today's Vytron Presents: The Lost Frames

http://xkcd.com/651/

Alt-text: At least give me back my water.
No.

(it feels awesome to have a backlog of unpublished content that other people want to see! :D)

Also, all you people have done a flutterwowfulzing work in the pages I've been blitzing though, seamencoffee on!

Accidental Page Pope!? Omaygawd, I have no decree in mind, just, if you have an idea of a OTTerComic, OtherOTTerComic, OTTerOtherComic or OTTerOTTercomic to make, it's now the time to do it, I love those!
Last edited by Vytron on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
Spoiler:

Gah!! That scared the mustard out of me when I opened it.. and then I laughed so hard.

Nice one, EoM. :P

First Google Images result for "alien cat". It creeped me out too. Want some more?

Oh look, a word search! Found 4 OTTers already.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:I've seen a lot of comments about how slow the OTT has been lately. Since I haven't been contributing a whole lot recently, I thought I'd try my hand at giving everyone something interesting to do. How does a simple word search sound?
Spoiler:

Hm, I found GTA V.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:How does a simple word search sound?

Neat! I've already found 30 but I know there are so many more to go as I haven't seen BlitzGirl's name, yet... and she has to be in there. :P I've found a lot of you, though! Thanks for the fun, Ebonite!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Wooow you guys made 3 whole NP while I was off at school :D Just like old times...sorta...

Word search is neat, I found cellocgw, myself, marlamin, and one other before remembering I had homework :oops: I'll finish it later :P

Also, is it just me, or does the options tab for castle clicker not work?

Eternal Density

The river is small

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

I found ED but I strongly suspect that doesn't count.
Also Erosion has caused me to intentionally sell and rebuy things to waste castles! This is fun.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:... that were deleted in the great wipe of attachments that happened at some point.

Attachments get wiped? Mustard.

So Vytron, if you're always blitzing, have always been blitzing, and never complete your blitzes, perhaps you could be Vytron, Blitz'girl the Perpetual?

Ebonite - treeish idea!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Thanks, BlitzGirl, for the Wowterful cake! And the redundakitty was even extra treeish because her middle name has to do with the Night. :)

Azule - loved the poem, and she will too. I have a request, if you wouldn't mind doing so. Could you go back and edit, changing "two teeth" to "six teeth"? Then she will know that it was about her personally. :) How's your little doll doing? Did you ever believe time would go so quickly?

Valarya, cheers for the cupcake! I'll ask her to pretend that that's what she ate. Lovely!

I love this whole exchange. How sweet is it that we're celebrating ggh's daughter's first birthday with her? Happy birthday, ggh's daughter!

I forgot that azule had a baby till he mentioned typing with one arm because of the baby on the other. I have that same typing issue, except I have a meowlpy on my arm.

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Schedule, schedule... where is that waterottermolpy, by the way? I hope the awesomeful song didn't wear him out...

I'm just putting together my ketchup post from my song-producing hiatus... but first: Today on OTTers in the Outside...

Today Iron SeaWolpy (i.e. me and the other guy in the band, I've probably mentioned we're really just a two-man project who occasionally rope in friends/mercenaries to help at gigs) were recording some acoustic session videos for the youtubes... and even though I've never explained about the OTT to him, he's gotten so used to me using OTTish words, that "mustard" has become a part of our own vocabulary, i.e. "That take was mustardy" or "there was some mustard in the second chorus." :P

:D

Earthling on Mars wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:Not sure how much I'll be keeping up from now on. I do have other things to do. No, no need for ropes; I'm not leaving. Yet.
Spoiler:
Other than that, it's treeish to have you back in the Present with us! :wink:

N-nice kitty.
Yes, it's good to be back, and...

...who's that browsing the forum?

Spoiler:

Well, let's go to good ol' Google...

Wikipedia wrote:Majestic 12 (or MJ-12) is the supposed code name of an alleged secret committee of scientists, military leaders, and government officials, formed in 1947 by an executive order by U.S. President Harry S. Truman. The purpose of the committee would be to investigate the recovery of a UFO north of Roswell, New Mexico during July 1947.

:shock:
Does the government think we're aliens?!

redundant
Spoiler:
majestic.png

That will give me nightmares. Thank you. Also, by posting it, now the OTT does have aliens in it and Majestic-12 will never leave us alone.

Ebonite wrote:I've seen a lot of comments about how slow the OTT has been lately. Since I haven't been contributing a whole lot recently, I thought I'd try my hand at giving everyone something interesting to do. How does a simple word search sound?

It sounds awesomeful, thanks! Will have to give it a go when I'm not at work. :D

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

Wowterful! Another OTTer game. And while our posting may slow once again due to our concentration on the finding OTTers in the word search, we can continue to up the post numbers by comparing who has found whom :mrgreen: This would be so much easier if I could print this out. Oh! I found a famous beanie name in there!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

Redundant:
Spoiler:
OTT word search.PNG

This puzzle is very straightforward: it's a simple word search containing a number of OTT userids. All you have to do is find them all!

TO MAKE IT CHALLENGING: I won't immediately give you the list of names to search for. Let's see who can find the most just by looking. If you want to make it a competition, just post the number of names that you find, to make it a target for others to beat.

FOR THOSE WHO LIKE IT LESS CHALLENGING: wait a couple of days, and I'll post the list of names, but without the solution. Then it becomes a traditional word search.

A couple of comments:
  • I ignored upper case vs. lower case for the purpose of this puzzle.
  • I dropped spaces for the purpose of this puzzle. (So if your userid was "Great Lord Randall", it would appear as "GREATLORDRANDALL" in the grid.)
  • I did NOT ignore digits, underscores, periods, or hyphens.

Then: a Present. There are a handful of names/words that appear in the grid that are not OTTer names. You'll recognize them when you find them.

Finally: if you happen to find ALL the OTTer names, and if you happen to find all of the non-OTTer names, and if I didn't screw anything up, if you look carefully, you might notice a Present Present. :-)

Happy Searching!

I found Molpy Noir... That sounds like it would be a good read.
Also, is Mscha around anymore? I saw someone missing him. Did he (dare) leave for good, or just go on a trip or something?
I'd miss him, and I miss Charlie too (again), since apparently he left again.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Spoiler:

I gave up after realizing I shouldn't be forcing my eye like that.
Selecting new quote…

Eternal Density

this is not a Cancerbacon-Cola ad

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Code: Select all

0.86:
-fixed minor issue with Erosion (*sigh*) and nerfed it a little
-downgrade jQuery to 1.10.2 for IE users

Enjoy!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

- Blindpost NP1429 -

Yeah, so I've been sucked into the C**kie Clicker, now at 352MC/s, about to corss the point at which golden cookies are better than red cookies! And I...

BlitzGirl wrote:Nooooo!

We tried to warn you!

WE TRIED TO WARN YOU.

What?? Did you really expect that several warnings about the incoming link would save me from it? I mean, I think there was this ominous warning 2 full pages before the link, or something, telling one that one would lose one's life if one clicked on it, or something!

That only made me much more curious to click on the link! I couldn't just keep reading the thread thinking "eh, people are talking about c**kies for no reason". No, I HAD to click it! I had to KNOW!

Thanks for the warnings though, it's not like I was sucked because someone left the link carelessly, I actually clicked and was sucked on my own volition. Also, so addictive game that it'll ruin your life isn't exactly a deterrent to see what's it about.

Also, I can totally stop whenever I want, but I don't think I'll want to stop in quite a while, not until I have more cookies than everyone else on the OTT or something!

Who has the highest C**kies per second, anyway? Do people still play this game in the future?

Eternal Density

whistle while you work (it)

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Who has the highest C**kies per second, anyway? Do people still play this game in the future?
I'm at 4GCps, but I might have done some shady things with my leopard and javascript before resetting so I kinda have 420 heavenly chips which make 21x Cps.No idea, I'm busy working on adding per-tool stats to Sandcastle Builder.

Oh and here's a tip: if you need N sand to get a Boost, the actual amount of sand you need will be around 2.618 times that. (only around, because of the stepping nature of the numbers. But it's a good guide.)

Also I paused my game (yay javascript console abuse) to make sure I wouldn't get too much sand before the ONG because of reasons, and forgot to unpause it in time :( ETA but it seems I got castles anyway? I dunno. Meh.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:59 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

Hello everyone, it's been far too long thanks to school starting and brothers getting married and other outside stuff. Anyways I was watching Wheel of Fortune with my grandparents and the final puzzle was Wait for it. I wish I had a DVR so I could screencap it.

I'll try to post and read more often, but no promises (thankfully I'm not completely removed from the OTT thanks to the Facebook group).
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

Goggalor wrote:Hello everyone, it's been far too long thanks to school starting and brothers getting married and other outside stuff. Anyways I was watching Wheel of Fortune with my grandparents and the final puzzle was Wait for it. I wish I had a DVR so I could screencap it.

I'll try to post and read more often, but no promises (thankfully I'm not completely removed from the OTT thanks to the Facebook group).

Yet another way
Spoiler:
things tend to connect in strange, seemingly coincidental ways. Oh, also, it's ALL related!

By the way, Aluisio, I'd be drawing right now but I'm waiting for my new RAM stick to get here (photoshop's been bumping the upper limit of my computer's memory capacity)...it left Seattle 2 hours ago, how long could it take??

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:By the way, Aluisio, I'd be drawing right now but I'm waiting for my new RAM stick to get here (photoshop's been bumping the upper limit of my computer's memory capacity)...

No problem. I'm still waiting my mind to get in the mood to rewrite the flashback.
Selecting new quote…

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:02 am UTC

300 Posts!

3 wordsearch from Exodies. Here's how far I've got up to now:
Spoiler:

Second verse of the collaborative Radio Ga Ga ottification:
I'd sit alone and read those types
My only friends even in real life
And that one thing that kept us glued?
We'd never thought we're being stewed

I'd come and join- a religion
Or write an ott- ification
But all of this- it would not last
1190- was in the past

Redundant:
Spoiler:
ong.png
fto2.png
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:05 am UTC

@cellocgw - Nice odetity. :)

SBN wrote:
azule wrote:But, ch*rp, sometimes I'm a bit paranoid with silence. Just think of how many of us freak out every time there's 1 or 0 people browsing the forum, as an example. LOL. Forgive my presumptuousness.

There is a lot that doesn't get responded to here. I'm guilty of both not responding, and of feeling put out when not responded to. I smile each time I see your location below your avatar and I enjoyed your "How I see ..." posts. Didn't ask for one myself due to silence paranoia... What if i give permission, and no one responds? And I didn't want to go back into self-deprecation mode, that sort of ended badly for me. (How much worse is it when someone points out how little you've done, when you've actually done most of the things they said you didn't do?)
Oooh, a new phrase apparently borne of my psychosis. :P *cough* But, on subject, for the "how I see..." if you asked I would respond, as noted in a few of the ones I did. If it worries you, maybe not ask, but I wouldn't worry too much. BTW, I saw that list Exodies did (as a joke) where he details the ironic things you didn't do that were supposed to make you feel better,...and I noted a few I know you did. Sorry for not posting so. :(

On the first part of your statement, the main subject overall, thank you for replying. Seeing this shows me that you probably read it all but do not reply to all/most. I'm fine with this. As buffygirl said (where is she btw?) "everyone should get at least one (positive) reply" [paraphrased]. So, no need to pile on the compliments (it's nice, but even gets embarrassing at some point), just nice to have that one non-nitpicky reply (such as a spelling error).

Valarya wrote:The significance of the number 1024 is mostly a computer thing. While it is related to binary, that doesn't make it a mathsy thing... hence azule's "FTFY" comment. See, there are actually 1,024 bytes in a kilobyte. Not 1,000. (1024KB in 1 MB. 1024MBs in 1 GB, etc etc) So hard drives and memory are measured in powers of 2 thus making 1024 a computery number. I probably did a terrible job at explaining that but there you go. :P

I was hoping someone would answer this but forgot to check back. All you're missing is video games. NES was 8-bit, its competitor 16-bit. SNES 16-bit, competitor 32-bit. N64 (with the bits in the name), competitor 128-bit. That's about it, but the base 2 is same except bits not bytes. It's easy to do the math to get 1024. 1024-bit? I don't know, sounds scary. lol

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Happy 300th, patzer!
Ok, time for dinner.
Selecting new quote…

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:14 am UTC

Thanks Laura Mae! Any news on your kin?

Wow - there's a lot of words and names in here... I won't look until I've gotten as far as I'm going to get. So far, I'm up around 75. Questions: If I see a word twice, does it count twice? Do shortened names count?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:18 am UTC

azule wrote:
Valarya wrote:The significance of the number 1024 is mostly a computer thing. While it is related to binary, that doesn't make it a mathsy thing... hence azule's "FTFY" comment. See, there are actually 1,024 bytes in a kilobyte. Not 1,000. (1024KB in 1 MB. 1024MBs in 1 GB, etc etc) So hard drives and memory are measured in powers of 2 thus making 1024 a computery number. I probably did a terrible job at explaining that but there you go. :P

I was hoping someone would answer this but forgot to check back. All you're missing is video games. NES was 8-bit, its competitor 16-bit. SNES 16-bit, competitor 32-bit. N64 (with the bits in the name), competitor 128-bit. That's about it, but the base 2 is same except bits not bytes. It's easy to do the math to get 1024. 1024-bit? I don't know, sounds scary. lol

As far as I'm aware, the use of the term "bit" when referring to computers in general and consoles in particular refers to word size - 8 bit machines have a word size of 8 bits, meaning a single block of memory is 8 bits long. This has some limitations (only 256 possible combinations for something you'd want to store, meaning more complicated data structures need to use multiple words), which of course prompted the development of 16 and 32 bit machines. 64 bits is the norm now, I believe, which is quite big enough for most practical purposes (hardcore mathematical calculations aside), though I have heard of certain server machines using 128-bit CPUs. I don't see any reason why, in the near future, we'd ever go beyond that, not to mention 3 iterations beyond that (256, 512, then 1024). It doesn't seem as if the course of the computer industry is towards more and more long-number programs, on the contrary, the focus seems to be towards parallelism, speed, and physical size.

As an aside, I'm one of those people who likes to memorize mathematically significant figures (for example, I know pi to about 40 digits) and I can rattle off all the powers of two up to 1,048,576, plus a miscellaneous one (16,777,216) that I know because it's the number of colors in RGB color space :B

Eternal Density

failED

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:19 am UTC

Oh ch*rp, I just realised that though I'm saving and loading the total sand produced by each sandtool, I never actually increment it :(
Well, your stats will be low :P

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:30 am UTC

ALLURONGLY...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:40 am UTC

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
*horrific flashback*

Word search? There goes my afternoon. Right now I'm at 10 bonus words and 97 OTTers, but I don't think 97 is right...maybe I'll try to see if I can get the Present Present and work backwards...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:40 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:The discussion board here is amusing, but it is a corollary to the experience, not the experience itself.

I have to disagree.
Selecting new quote…

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Oh, and ChronosDragon:
Spoiler:
Selecting new quote…

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:46 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Oh, and ChronosDragon:
Spoiler:

What of it? Are you saying my mathematical trivia are irrelevant because of modern convenience of information, that you suspect my explanation of word length is information processed from wikipedia, or that wikipedia is an example of a use of higher-word-size processors? Or none of the above?

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:51 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:

What of it? Are you saying my mathematical trivia are irrelevant because of modern convenience of information, that you suspect my explanation of word length is information processed from wikipedia, or that wikipedia is an example of a use of higher-word-size processors? Or none of the above?

Um… it's just a cake.
Maybe I should have chosen another one.

Preemptive cake for azule:
Spoiler:
I liked the shape.

I must refrain from using the interesting number argument.
Selecting new quote…

yappobiscuits

Posting-break ketchup

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:52 am UTC

Alright time to ketchup what I missed while making my 1000 song…
(Seaish - from 1422 to 1447... sorry it's just a big wall of replies, I'm not as good as some others at making ketchup posts nice and organised...)

First of all, immensely wowtertreeish work on Castle Clicker (or Sandcastle Builder, whatever it's called) Eternal Density! I've only just started it now though so I'll be behind everyone else… oh well…
It took me a while to get used to how much more
Spoiler:
waiting for it

there is than in C**kie Clicker, but it makes it even more unique and treeish. Steakish job, ED!

ChronosDragon wrote:Since no one seems to be making any headway on my riddle, let me supply a second hint.

The answer is a star, or rather a particular star within a system. The hard part is figuring out WHICH star in the system it is - Parts I and III (as outlined previously) are two different numerical properties of the star in question.

(The riddle again so you don't have to go looking)
Spoiler:
far-flung fires burn before one's birth and after death;
the sum total of humanity, united and divided by its own numbers,
lives a fleeting life, miniscule in length to these eternal embers.
a man can see, in the dark of night, quite faint:
four fellows waltzing, two twirling tightly between the others -
one circles around, slowly swinging
as though the third georgian king were looking on,
seeing small darkness, then large
while he sits above a machine that talks to others
declaring triumph upon discourse with its fellow

To which lonely fellow of the four am I referring?

Did anyone ever get this? I don't think I know enough about astronomy to figure it out myself, but I'd be interested to know what it was...

Eternal Density wrote:I don't understand the problem with nyancat. StormAngel can play it on piano and I can whistle the tune pretty well.

And I can play it on accordion. Let's start a nyan-band! Image

azule wrote:Papal Decree:
Tell us how different or similar you are compared to your OTT or online persona.

This was a really treeish decree that brought about much interesting and insightful posts! Here's my contribution, spoilered for seaishness:

Spoiler:
I like to try and stay true to myself in my online persona. I don't even really consider it an online persona. Because it's still just... me. But online. I try not to put on an act or anything (well apart from when I'm pretending to be an otter, but it's obvious that that's just messing about. :P) or try to appear more intelligent or anything. I try (I keep saying "try" as if it takes effort but it comes more naturally really) to be pretty much the same person I would be if you met me in the Outside - same sense of humour, same general attitudes and demeanour... y'know. Other than being a little shyer in real life and less prone to saying whatever's on my mind, I'm basically the same person. In a way, because I'm a bit less inhibited online I'm even more the real me. Or at least, you get a better chance to see the real me. Maybe some of you more internet-savvy types think I'm being irresponsible and naive here by letting my real self be known so freely online, but I'd just rather people felt like they were speaking to me as a real person, not some kinda character that a different real person is hiding behind... and also because it's hard to get a good idea of what someone's really like just from posts on a forum, so I just like to make it easier for people by being as me as possible. Besides, as I've mentioned before when this subject has come up, since I want to become known as a musician, having an online presence as the real me is something I actually feel I should have.

A few years ago I would've said I'm MUCH shyer in real life and unlikely to speak at all, but over the past few years, mainly thanks to university, I've improved drastically and I'm almost normal now, socially. If you'd told 18-year-old me he'd be socially normal in a few years he'd never believe you :P. I'm not totally normal yet, I've never had a girlfriend, or even been on a date, or even kissed a girl... not deliberately, not because I "don't feel ready" or whatever, but just because I'm so shy (more like terrified) when it comes to letting someone know I'm attracted to them. And I've just generally never had any luck in the romance department. However, socially, I am pretty much normal now :). Well, still very introverted and definitely more comfortable in smaller groups, but I reckon if I met some of you lot in real life I'd be absolutely fine and barely shy at all. On the other (heretical) forum I was a regular on for a long time I ended up meeting a lot of people from there in real life and some of them have become my best friends, so meeting internet people in real life isn't a strange thing to me any more. So yeah, roll on the OTTer parties :mrgreen:
AluisioASG wrote:
azule wrote:I probably share more freely my creative works and opinions than I would even my best friend. Well, really just my girlfriend I share with.

Same here. Except I don't have a girlfriend. Or a best friend. Or friends that are more than classmates, actually. This is why you are all so important to me. :oops:

I was the same when I was in school. I was such an outcast even the nerds wouldn't accept me. As with you, I had no friends that were more than classmates, expect perhaps one or two who were a little more than classmates - until I met the aforementioned internet friends, and went to aforementioned university :) . But I can still relate to that a little. I left uni (dropped out after second year as it wasn't doing anything for me... well I enjoyed the social aspects but not the course itself) and moved back to Cumbria where my social life consists of my Iron SeaWolpy bandmates and a couple of our friends. So I don't have people I hang out with on a regular basis at all, which is why I cherish my internet friends a huge amount. Especially you lot. :)

Sharing creative works however - now that's a weird thing. I can be really quite shy in a normal social situation, but put me behind a mic on a stage in front of loads of people and suddenly I'm super confident and all shyness vanishes. I love sharing my creativity (music primarily of course) with anyone and everyone, and there's nothing like the buzz it gives me! :mrgreen:

BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:This is why you are all so important to me. :oops:
Right back atcha! I love our OTTerish community. Image

Yup! You're all the molpiest people ever! Image

azule wrote:Do I spot yappo pining for papalhood? :D 8-)

Wishful thinking there, azule :P. No, I was just still reading the thread even though I wasn't ready to post yet. ;)

BlitzGirl wrote:The late-night wipend sketching continues...
Spoiler:

Ooh, don't think I'd commented on this one yet! Wowterbeewingish as ever! Very atmospheric too, this one. Image Loved Dad-Cueball with the pricklymolp too!

BlitzGirl wrote:
ucim wrote:"BlitzGirl"
(based on Rich Girl)
Spoiler:
I'm the BlitzGirl, and you've gone too far
and you're never never gonna get away.
You can't deny, you're a goner, honey!
Tellin' you why, 'cause the pun's not funny.
I'm the BlitzGirl, and it's gone too far
'and you're never never gonna get away.
Not Funny honey No puns allowed are!
(They're) way under par!

Don't you know, don't you know
that it's wrong to play on the meaning true
all wix long, on your own
you can get along, if your puns are withdrawn
and you'll never go wrong, 'cause

(They're) way under par!

You'll comply, and you won't complain
It's so easy, to bisect you with the saw of the chain
and don't you know that pun just shows
that I will not forgive, and I can't let you live
For the thrill of it all, oh

Puns are bizzare!

And I say
I'm the BlitzGirl, the BlitzGirl
Save your wits, they're the pits, yeah
puns are bizzare! (fade out)

Awesomeful, Jose! :D
Spoiler:

IT'S SO EASY, TO BISECT YOU WITH THE SAW OF THE CHAIN

Haha, brilliant ottification and accompanying sketch! :mrgreen: Scary sketch too Image …but I shouldn't be scared, I haven't made any sketchy puns in a while.

Oh chirp.

Eternal Density wrote:SONG time! (Inspired by the "you're a molpy!" reply above.)
Note: generally the italics bits are sung and the other bits said. Except bold which is saying who's talking and parenthesis are stuff happening.

Molpy

Spoiler:
Narrator: And now it's time for Silly Songs with Cueball, the part of the show when Cueball comes on and sings a Silly Song.
Today Cueball & Meg are on a photo safari, tracking the trail of a molpy. Or a grape. We don't know which. Hence the song. (music begins)
Cueball: If it doesn't have a tail, it's not a molpy.
Even if it has a molpy-kind-of shape.
If it doesn't have a tail, it's not a molpy.
If it doesn't have a tail, it's not a molpy. It's a grape!

If it doesn't have a tail, it's not a molpy...

Meg: Let's see if we can catch it on the tape.
Cueball: You can very plainly see if it's a molpy.

Meg: Look, there it goes! There it goes! I don't know! I couldn't tell if it's a molpy or a grape!
Cueball: It's very simple, Meg.
If it doesn't have a tail, it's not a molpy. If it doesn't have a tail, it's not a molpy. It's a grape!
Meg: Uh Cueball, I'm not so sure...
Cueball: Ooga booga, isn't that a molpy? (ch*rp ch*rp)
Meg: Booga looga, maybe it's a grape. (ch*rp ch*rp)
Cueball: If it's a grapevine, or a castle, or a tower. If it doesn't have a tail, it's not a molpy. It's a grape!
Meg: If it doesn't have a tail...?
Cueball: Not a molpy!
Meg: Are you sure it's what you really mean to say? A bucket has no tail...
Cueball: It's not a molpy! If it doesn't have a tail, it's not a molpy. It's a grape!
Meg: Uh, I think there's something wrong with your logic, Cueball.
Cueball: Well, Meg. The translator lady said it, and who am I to tell her that's she's wrong?
"If there's a tail, it's a molpy. No tail, grape." It's easy!
Meg: But, Cueball! A kite has a tail--
Cueball: Then it's a molpy!
Meg: A comet has a tail--
Cueball: It's a molpy!
Meg: A trebuchet doesn't--
Cueball: Then it's not a molpy! If it doesn't have a tail, it's not a molpy...
Meg: It's a grape?
Cueball: Exactly! I knew you'd catch on!
Meg: Cueball, we may need to talk about this! I don't think the translator lady meant--
Cueball: Shh! Look, there it goes! In the trees! Follow me! It's gotta be a molpy or a grape!
(Cueball finds something)
I can't believe it's true! All this time, I've searched for you!
Snap the picture! Take the shot! We're among the lucky few!
We finally did it, photograph her!
We discovered what we're after!
Let me look!
(looks through binoculars) Is it a grape?! (end of music)
Meg: Cueball, this is a disaster
Cueball: It's a molpy!
Meg: (clears throat) Cueball, that's a snake. Not a--
Cueball: That was exhilarating. Let's find more! (music turns back on)
Even if it has a molpy-kind-of shape.

Narrator: This has been Silly Songs with Cueball. Tune in next time to hear Meg say...
Meg: But Cueball, you don't have a tail.
Cueball: I don't?
Meg: Nope, neither do I!
Cueball: I wouldn't be so sure about that, Meg.
Meg: What do you mean?
Cueball: Oh, nothing! (Cueball leaves) (tail appears on Meg) (jungle animals roar) (Meg confusingly looks around & leaves)

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--szrOHtR6U
Lyrics credit

Haha! Brilliant. I love a good silly song!

pelrigg wrote:I haven't been posting much, I've been doing skim-blitzing while lurking and this is kind of a blindpost from at least NP 1428 (if not earlier). Mostly because I've been working on this. This is one of the other things I've been thinking on, which I mentioned back 10-15 NPs ago. I'd like some honest feed-back. I'm going to warn you this is probably the first real story I've ever written. I was going to do a ketchup post first, but I'm just going to plop this down...
Spoiler:
The Meeting

She sat at her desk, reading the lastest flash messages. The ones she had hoped she wouldn't see in her lifetime. Although she had been a part of the great evacuation for most of her entire adult life it was still a shock to see the reports that the vast dam of the west had fallen past the point of any repairs. Nature had finally decided it wanted the basin back as a sea.

She had, of course, asked for confirmation, but she had also issued the return order for the few remaining observation stations in the basin and had passed to message of the break east-ward, to let them know the time had come for the great flood of their era. The confirmation would have to come along the ridge route of the signaling stations that had been so useful in tying together the eastern and western ends of the low desert. Still it would take days for messages to go the whole length and breadth of the entire region. She knew the tales of the devices from the 'Age of City and Circuit' that could supposedly connect the same distances in moments. In fact, the legends say in real time. But those are tales from before the 'Days of Chaos', before the cities fell and the circuits stopped. Before, for a while, humanity stopped being human. The only thing that was certain, was that much knowledge had been lost when the devices failed, and during the floods and fires of that time that destroyed many of the libraries around the world. And there had been many times since then when books and learning had been attacked.

This great castle had come into back into being during one of those times, some 700 years ago. It had been built as a bastion against one of those tides on the site of an castle that was thought to have pre-dated the 'Age of City'. It had become a center for learning since then, famous throughout the two continents. It was here, scholars had discovered that the western ocean would reclaim the basin all to soon. It was here, that the plans for the great evacuation were made. And so it was here that the center of the evacuation was decided to be set. And it was to here that a young girl, born in sight of the sea dam, had come. With her gift for languages and diplomacy, she had been in the basin to explain the coming disaster to many different tribes, and to help them understand why they needed to leave the lands of their ancestors. Sometimes it took bringing tribal members to the dam itself, so they could see what was being done and how it wasn't working.

She didn't realize how well she was thought of until a little over 11 years ago when she was made head of the Departmant of Evacuation. And now she also had to oversee the leaving of this castle, for when the cartographers had discovered the Castle Rise would end up as an island, the decision to move the University was made. So, over the last few years, college by college had been moved across the valley and up slope enough to be out of the flooding, until only her people, some of the mappers and a group of signalers were all that remained. One last caravan of folks and belongings to be made before the waters got too high. All the pack animals and carts were here and being readied just for this day.

She kept focused on her work as much as possible recently, she didn't like looking up and seeing the once cheerful and well appointed walls and rooms so barren. She knew she would see the paintings, tapestries and furniture on the "Main Land" in a few days; but not seeing them here, in their familar places, where they had been for so long, left her empty.

"Main Land... I guess that's what we'll all have to get used to calling the other side of the valley now," she thought as she worked.

A soft knock with a familar rhythm let her know who was coming in. Of course it had been a long time since they had shared anything more than a friendly glass of wine and good conversation. The leader of Signal Station 2 was married to a lovely woman and her own marriage... well, she had her work now. She did wonder why he was stopping in here, since the only thing they needed were the pack animals and handlers for the equipment from the station. So it was a suprise when she looked up and saw not only the three from the station, but also two strangers, a young man and young woman. They had the clothes and complexion of a basin tribe, and the woman was slightly limping with a bandage on her left leg. For a brief second she wondered if the two might be 'worshipers', basin folks that would want to know what sacrifices they needed to make to stop the sea from returning. But then she got a good look at their faces and changed her mind. She decided, "These two might be 'Applicants'. They have that look of 'knowledge hunger' that makes a good student." And she didn't let their age or possible lack of formal education enter into the thought of welcoming them to the school cloud her judgement. There are many people who have been on their second or even third 'life-work' and become fine scholars.

"May the day bring joy," she said in greeting to the group.

After the greeting had been returned, she asked, "Who have you brought here?" and was told they had been seen coming out of the Basin and the woman had a wound on her leg from a large cat. And also that these two spoke a language they didn't know. Coming from these three, the travelers must have come from far away, since these signalers knew enough of the regional dialects for at least basic understanding.

They came forward, and after only a slight pause, they spoke: ">Hello!<", he said. And she said, ">Do you understand us?<" in a language which she had been taught by an old man when she was younger than these two, and which most of her fellow linguists thought was 'dead'. This was going to be difficult. "A >SOmeWhaT*< little." She knew her phrasing was off, as was her pronuncation; but the travelers admitted they could understand her.

She then asked in this broken half forgotten tongue where they came from and received a huge shock when they said ">We're from the sea.<" No. No! That was her biggest fear. That somehow a group had been missed. Everyone agreed the basin had been completely cleared for the last 6 months! One scholar had even come up with a brilliant way to make sure they found all of the different groups by asking several members of each tribe and village to tell them about any other group that they knew of. The scholar said, "We should be able to catch all of the groups this way, since every group interacts with at least two others." And yet here were these two. Who were these people and were there more of them?

She asked for their patience and dismissed the signal crew so they could get back to what they needed to do. She got them to lay aside their packs and got some cushion chairs for the three of them. She hadn't had to do this in a long time, explain the coming flood to someone newly met. As they talked she came to the conclusion she was right about their thirst for knowledge and their intellegence. These two would fit in around here just fine.

But then she found out that they had come alone and that their tribe was still in the Basin. And her heart fell to her feet. No, a thousand times, NO! And when she finally told them about the Western dam breaking and how it how much big the sea would become, she saw the shock on their faces. ">The sea can cover MOUNTAINS?<"

When she heard the woman say they needed to get back to their tribe so they could be warned and make it to safety, she realized they didn't understand how big and fast the flood was going to be and that it had already started. That they would have to accept their families were probably already dead and they would need to say "goodbye" to them here, for she couldn't send anyone down to look for a lost tribe. All color drained from their faces as her words sunk in. They looked like they were ready to break down. But then their eyes met and in a flash they grabbed their bags and ran out the door without a word spoken. Before she even stop them. She looked at the swaying beads for a silent moment and sunk to the floor crying. Crying for these two she had just met. Crying because she feared their certain doom. Crying for the 40 members of their tribe who wouldn't know how bad it was. And crying for any other lost peoples that no one would know were gone.

Several minutes later her helper and her friend came in and saw her there.

"Mistress, did those barbarians hurt you?"
"Should we call for guards? I knew we shouldn't have left those pitters alone with you."
"CALM! Language!" she ordered. "Be still. They didn't harm me, except ..." Her old friend, with several others, ran into the room.
"Are you okay? What happened?" he asked.
"I told them of the coming flood and they told me about their tribe. A tribe we somehow missed in the many years of searching. Even though I just met these two, for some reason it hit me hard that they might be rushing to their certain doom."
As they all mulled those words over, one student said, "I wonder what it would be like to make it home and discover it gone?"
"Some of us already know." whispered the head of Station 2. She was the only one who heard him and she knew why he said it, because she had been there the day he had dicovered his village was buried.
"I feel badly I didn't offer hospitality to them in the short time they were here," she said a little too loudly.
"We did give them water and food at the station," the older signal student said. "So they did get hospitality last night."
"Good. Good!" she said warmly. "At dinner time let's tell everyone, anything and everything we know about these two brave travelers. If we talk of them, we will keep them alive, at least in our hearts. Now, be off."

As her old friend stayed to help her put the cushions away, he noticed her looking around with a slight frown on her face.
"What's the matter?"
"I think they took my map book."
"You mean the one we made for your 10th anniversary as Head?"
"Yes..."
"I gather some students. We'll run them down and get it back."
"Calm. Calm, my friend. I told them I couldn't send any one into the flood to rescue their living, breathing family; I think it would be hypocritical of me to send people after a book. We have other copies those maps. And besides, it just might help them get home in time. And, if they make it home and get their folks out in one piece, who knows, maybe they'll return it one day. And then we'll have a tale to tell, wouldn't we?"

fins

O.O Amazing! Was really treeish to see Rosetta's perspective of the whole thing.

BlitzGirl wrote:Sounds like there are fellow mathom-collectors about! :)

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring wrote:...anything that Hobbits had no immediate use for, but were unwilling to throw away, they called a mathom.
Their dwellings were apt to become rather crowded with mathoms...

Aha! Yes! That bit in LOTR made me smile so much. It's brilliant to have a word for such things! I too am a mathom collector. :)

pelrigg wrote:One faintly new question. How goes the One True Voice Over?
It would be a shame if all we end up with is a few bits and pieces.

Gah, I have so many projects I can't keep track of them all... and I always get distracted by new ideas for projects and things... Yeah. I must record my parts eventually. Although, I've not seen Latent22 around for a long time... :?
Still, I'll do it when I get around to it…
HES wrote:And as a bonus for those struggling to get something done:
Spoiler:

Aha, thankyou! NOW I'll do it.

azule wrote:How do you see someone notable here in the OTT? With their permission, of course. Mine given of course.

This was another really treeish decree that spawned some interesting posts!
Maybe I'm late to the party but my permission is given too... after what I talked about in that seaish spoilered section earlier it'd be interesting to know how people actually see me...

HES wrote:Thanks, Image
Interestingly, I don't drink tea, coffee, or any hot beverage, which probably makes me seem even younger. I'm actually in the Yappo-Blitzgirl age range (but having stated my birth date I've been deliberately vague about the year). I suppose this is still young to those not as young...

Aha, wheras I am a complete tea addict. I truly fulfil the British tea drinker stereotype... :P

Vytron wrote:Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:33 am UTC is the definitive date at which the OTT overtook Count to a Million in number of NewPages!! Thanks to yappobiscuits here, CHIRPongs yeah!!!

Oh, wow! :mrgreen: So it was my doing! I had no idea! :mrgreen: Treeish!

Kieryn wrote:Also... Skyrim music interlude... I find this one very treeish... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjrmRW3VXf8

Ahh I do love the Skyrim soundtrack so very much...Image Yes, that's a flutterbeewingish one... I love the (what I think is a) hammered dulcimer in that. Gorgeous. This is another absolute favourite of mine. Image I love walking in the lake district listening to this soundtrack. Really makes it feel like you're actually in Skyrim - You expect a dragon to fly around some crags at any moment! But even without the Skyrim connotations it's generally a beautifully appropriate soundtrack to a hike. :mrgreen:

ggh wrote:"Molpy that mustard out." The pope asks you to use that phrase in your post if you are so inclined.

Sounds like the title of another song from OTT: The Musical... hmm... I might need to get songwriting again!

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:

Ooh, this looks promising! I look forward to seeing further progress!

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
People here are amazing. This is, without a doubt, the best internet community I have ever participated in, bar none. You're all thoughtful, intelligent, creative, brilliant people who make and do amazing things and it continuously astounds me that I get to be a part of this.
Even more so than when the comic was running, you're all still going strong, making spinoffs and remixes and uncountable other things and it boggles my mind that we've all stuck around to continue participating, and I love it.
No post here is taken for granted, either. A person's absence is sorely noted despite the wide and diverse community, and that is a beautiful thing. On the internet it's usually so easy to drop out of something and disappear, but not this place - we've got a whole basement for those people :D
If I ever leave, it will only be because there's no one else left. I may not post as much as some, but I've been here since pretty much the beginning and I have no intention of leaving. AP tests be damned, I can study when I'm done ketchupping.
So, thank you all. Thanks for being awesome and being here. Thanks for making over 1400 pages of thread where I can post over 1000 times and not feel like I've spammed at all because every single one was in response to something brilliant or my humble offerings to this potpourri of awesome.

Image I see what you did there...

BlitzGirl wrote:Bravo, ChronosDragon!
One of the best
OTT-tributes I've seen -
Bar none!

And you too Image

BlitzGirl wrote:...And a raptorcat in a wowtree! :D

Oh Randall, I can't wait for Christmas, presuming we'll still be around OTTing as usual. I can see it now, Ottified christmas songs everywhere, present presents galore, christmasified avatars with christmas hats and things... :mrgreen:

…And at this point I reach NP 1447, where I returned to post my song. That's where I'll end this post, but next I'll get onto replying to stuff after that point.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:53 am UTC

Psst...ChronosDragon...here's a hint, I think.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

here ya go

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:54 am UTC

Code: Select all

0.87:
-per tool stats (click stats, then hover over tool)
That is all.

BlitzGirl

Re: Posting-break ketchup

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:58 am UTC

Thanks, ED! :D That is so treeish!

yappobiscuits wrote:Scary sketch too Image …but I shouldn't be scared, I haven't made any sketchy puns in a while.

Oh chirp.

I feel bad about punsawing ketchuppers, so you're safe...for now.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Re: Posting-break ketchup

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:01 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, ED! :D That is so treeish!
Thanks. I was gonna put a box for each tool in the stats area and thought there might not be space and then I thought I could make them expand on hover and then I realised that I could just use the existing boxes!

One slight nuisance is that if you have no boosts available and your browser window is too short, you have to scroll-wheel down to read the bottom of the castle tool stats.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:02 am UTC

azule wrote:[
SBN wrote:
azule wrote:But, ch*rp, sometimes I'm a bit paranoid with silence. Just think of how many of us freak out every time there's 1 or 0 people browsing the forum, as an example. LOL. Forgive my presumptuousness.

There is a lot that doesn't get responded to here. I'm guilty of both not responding, and of feeling put out when not responded to. I smile each time I see your location below your avatar and I enjoyed your "How I see ..." posts. Didn't ask for one myself due to silence paranoia... What if i give permission, and no one responds? And I didn't want to go back into self-deprecation mode, that sort of ended badly for me. (How much worse is it when someone points out how little you've done, when you've actually done most of the things they said you didn't do?)
Oooh, a new phrase apparently borne of my psychosis. :P *cough* But, on subject, for the "how I see..." if you asked I would respond, as noted in a few of the ones I did. If it worries you, maybe not ask, but I wouldn't worry too much. BTW, I saw that list Exodies did (as a joke) where he details the ironic things you didn't do that were supposed to make you feel better,...and I noted a few I know you did. Sorry for not posting so. :(

On the first part of your statement, the main subject overall, thank you for replying. Seeing this shows me that you probably read it all but do not reply to all/most. I'm fine with this. As buffygirl said (where is she btw?) "everyone should get at least one (positive) reply" [paraphrased]. So, no need to pile on the compliments (it's nice, but even gets embarrassing at some point), just nice to have that one non-nitpicky reply (such as a spelling error).

Definitely reading everything, clicking all spoilers not seen to be blue, but not all links. Oddly, I do often click the tv-tropes links, since I seem to be able to resist them after I've figured out why they were posted. I probably should put out more comments on contributions, I sort of got out of the habit when things were moving so fast, and haven't ramped up again. Anyway, not asking, but also not withholding permission.

Let me say I'm fascinated by the creation of the Sandcastle game. Not playing it, I haven't actually done that. But the "Hey, can it do ____" turning into "It now does _____" in short order. (I'm just not in need of a new obsession currently, but if I get an opening for one, it'll be on my list.)

ChronosDragon wrote:

Or maybe, "Happy 1024!" ?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Eternal Density

I guess I'd better see about them colour schemes

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:05 am UTC

SBN wrote:Let me say I'm fascinated by the creation of the Sandcastle game. Not playing it, I haven't actually done that. But the "Hey, can it do ____" turning into "It now does _____" in short order. (I'm just not in need of a new obsession currently, but if I get an opening for one, it'll be on my list.)
I'm glad OTTers are enjoying the process :D

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:22 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Psst...ChronosDragon...here's a hint, I think.

Heh, yeah, I got that after he posted that it was "just a cake" - for some reason my brain caught the fact that it was about wikipedia and not that it was actually a cake.

yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Since no one seems to be making any headway on my riddle, let me supply a second hint.

Did anyone ever get this? I don't think I know enough about astronomy to figure it out myself, but I'd be interested to know what it was...

Since no one has gotten it, I suppose I'll just say the answer. In a spoiler, for real spoiler, in case anyone wants to keep trying for themselves:

Spoiler:
It's the third component of the Mu Arietis system. The first part of the clue is intended to hint at the number 6.72 - one-tenth of the average human lifespan - which is the magnitude of this star. The second part indicates it's a four-star system with an inner pair and an outer pair, and that the one in question is the third outermost one. The last part somewhat roundaboutly suggests the number 8.845 (1769 / 200) which is the orbital period of this star.

I was probably too vague, but it's a riddle! It's supposed to be vague! :P

yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:

Ooh, this looks promising! I look forward to seeing further progress!

If you're interested in seeing some scraps created during production (ongoing), I posted a few to deviantart

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:29 am UTC

ggh wrote:Thanks Laura Mae! Any news on your kin?

Wow - there's a lot of words and names in here... I won't look until I've gotten as far as I'm going to get. So far, I'm up around 75. Questions: If I see a word twice, does it count twice? Do shortened names count?

I assume you're referring to the word search. I had not intended for names to appear in there more than once, although it wouldn't surprise me if it happened by chance -- especially for the shorter ones. I wouldn't count them twice for competition purposes.

Also, I didn't use abbreviations: I used everyone's full usernames, spelled out.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:39 am UTC

I really should go finish that story.
Or port KTO back to HTML.
But, for some reason, I can't. :?

I miss them.
Selecting new quote…

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:51 am UTC

Good night, Ms. MobTeeseboose. Nice to see you're an human.

Why can't the forum software log me on automatically each visit?
Selecting new quote…

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”