1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:56 am UTC

Ebonite, that word search was a devilish thing to foist on those of us who read the OTT at work. I got nothing done after that was posted. :mrgreen:

Here's what I've found so far, 77 OTTers and 11others:
Spoiler:
Otters: xonqnopp, redhal, thirds, pikras, mistycat, sciscitor, mathrec, histrion, descor, jetpac, wildhound, swuh, slinches, mojacardave, fhorn, cellocgw, arky, jovialbard, earthlingonmars, zoomansp, opiboble, zorin_75, mscha, ggh, partinglance, lmjb1964, kenmelken, aluisioasg, ebonite, taixzo, spamjam, eternaldensity, exodies, chem1190, bigcrag92, nerdsniped, foilman, dracomax, waveny, xminez, higgs-boson, cascat, whizbang, buffygirl, theminim, nomouse, moody7277, peewee_rota, yappobiscuits, bluecrab, b2bomber, charlie_grumbles, swein, karmann, k.bookbinder, edfel, kryton, flado, vytron, fatness, smithers, xpatiate, valarya, mrob, angelastic, helper, htom, latent22, blitzgirl, rvloon, byteflush, chronosdragon, stratplayer, caswallon, flotter, neil_boekend, swey, pelrigg,

others: molpy, amtoo, heron, ott, maps, tent, lapetite, cueball, paranoia, megan, lucky,

Papal decree: find the rest of the words in the word search, so I can coma peacefully.
Last edited by slinches on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:59 am UTC

OMR, I think I know the word search Present Present! :D Still working, though. I obviously missed some names in there.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:15 am UTC

slinches wrote:Ebonite, that word search was a devilish thing to foist on those of us who read the OTT at work. I got nothing done after that was posted. :mrgreen:

Here's what I've found so far, 77 OTTers and 11others:
Spoiler:
Otters: xonqnopp, redhal, thirds, pikras, mistycat, sciscitor, mathrec, histrion, descor, jetpac, wildhound, swuh, slinches, mojacardave, fhorn, cellocgw, arky, jovialbard, earthlingonmars, zoomansp, opiboble, zorin_75, mscha, ggh, partinglance, lmjb1964, kenmelken, aluisioasg, ebonite, taixzo, spamjam, eternaldensity, exodies, chem1190, bigcrag92, nerdsniped, foilman, dracomax, waveny, xminez, higgs-boson, cascat, whizbang, buffygirl, theminim, nomouse, moody7277, peewee_rota, yappobiscuits, bluecrab, b2bomber, charlie_grumbles, swein, karmann, k.bookbinder, edfel, kryton, flado, vytron, fatness, smithers, xpatiate, valarya, mrob, angelastic, helper, htom, latent22, blitzgirl, rvloon, byteflush, chronosdragon, stratplayer, caswallon, flotter, neil_boekend, swey, pelrigg,

others: molpy, amtoo, heron, ott, maps, tent, lapetite, cueball, paranoia, megan, lucky,

Papal decree: find the rest of the words in the word search, so I can coma peacefully.

Slinches: some feedback on your response. (This contains spoilers, so others shouldn't read this if they're still trying to solve the word search on their own!)
Spoiler:
The 77 OTTers you found are all valid answers! There are still more to find.

The "Others" list I had in mind included Molpy, Amtoo, LaPetite, Cueball, Megan, and Lucky, plus one more you missed. I did not intend to include "heron", "OTT", "maps", or "tent". I tell you this because it's important for you to not assume these words are part of the solution if you're trying to find the Present Present.

By the way, "paranoia" is not a solution word in the "Others" list. . .but AionArap (paranoia spelled backwards) is an OTTer name!
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:16 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:OMR, I think I know the word search Present Present! :D Still working, though. I obviously missed some names in there.

Somehow, I had a feeling you'd figure it out. :-)

Eternal Density

munchymolpy

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:17 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:On the subject of the styling for the castle ONGer game: I'd like to mock up some icons, if you don't mind - the boost buttons could use some pizzazz (and padding, yeesh); It wouldn't be anything too complicated, just white silhouettes in the xkcd style. And, I suppose, if you'd like assistance with the CSS, I'm somewhat competent - I designed a portal map database and a personal portfolio site (shameless plugs :B) though I'd need somewhat convenient access to the current version of things (like I said before - put it on GitHub, then we can ALL contribute!)
Somehow I never noticed that half of that post. This will happen eventually, but not yet.

Anyhow, it's Time for some food.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:23 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Since no one has gotten it, I suppose I'll just say the answer. In a spoiler, for real spoiler, in case anyone wants to keep trying for themselves:

Ah, cheers! I tried for a while, but I was going down a wrong path. I thought that
Spoiler:
it was a four star system, or a binary with some nearby friends that was about 200 lightyears away from us (so that if the star had a telescope, it would be seeing George III looking at it.)

Ebonite wrote:
ggh wrote:Wow - there's a lot of words and names in here... I won't look until I've gotten as far as I'm going to get. So far, I'm up around 75. Questions: If I see a word twice, does it count twice? Do shortened names count?

I assume you're referring to the word search. I had not intended for names to appear in there more than once, although it wouldn't surprise me if it happened by chance -- especially for the shorter ones. I wouldn't count them twice for competition purposes.

Also, I didn't use abbreviations: I used everyone's full usernames, spelled out.

Ah, right, I was wondering about "Cue." I've had to step away from the wordsearch - the nap is over. I'll try to look at it again tonight. I may have to look at a list of posters before I can find any more - I keep coming across names that seem familiar, but I can't tell if it's wishful thinking.

ETF mustarded formatting
Last edited by ggh on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:32 am UTC

And now for the regular ketchup.
Thanks for all the various comments on the song! Seems like a unanimous "yes" to me doing a making of video… alrighty then, that's another thing on my seaish to-do list! :P

lmjb1964 wrote:Yappo, I was playing your song for my non-OTTer friend, and he was very impressed. I mentioned that you were thinking of releasing it with non-OTT lyrics for general consumption, and he said, why bother? He pointed out that there are plenty of songs that are released and even become popular, and people have no idea what the lyrics mean. (Like, Louie Louie, or any song by Yes.) Just think, if you release it and it catches on, people the world over would be singing about chirping mustard!

I dunno, I don't really feel the style of music suits a nonsense novelty song (heresy I know, but that's what it'll be to non-OTTers)... Besides I don't fancy having to explain it to people. Because they'll inevitably ask. No, I'm definitely writing new, serious*, non-OTTish, no-explanation-needed lyrics (and it needs a proper title too) before it goes public.

*Serious in power metal terms anyway, so not SUPER serious. But still more serious than "ch*rping m*stard…"

k.bookbinder wrote:I always find it exciting when we come together to as a community, and come up with more ideas and projects to bring us together as a community.

Part of what makes this place so very molpish :mrgreen:

BlitzGirl wrote:You're not a molpy! :mrgreen: Steakish!

This quote out of context is hilarious :P

BlitzGirl wrote:In RELATED c**kie news, a ch*rpload of British biscuits have been added to the Upgrades section. British biscuits...now who does that remind me of...

Heehee :mrgreen: Those biccies are hard to get though, you have to buy the snickerdoodles, stroopwafels AND macaroons before they start becoming available, and those are 99 trillion EACH...

Still... *starts singing this RELATED song of mine*

Whoa, treeish and steakish, thanks! I did actually make a quick album artwork for my own collection (it was just the first newpix with the title and my name written in the xkcd font), but yours is much better (even if mine did use the one true font ;))

pelrigg wrote:Just because here's an OTTcolor for y'all (from M2298):
Spoiler:

Aww, lovely!

lmjb1964 wrote:6) If you haven't seen The Princess Bride, go and watch it RIGHT NOW. (Not optional.)

I shall have to do that! It's one of quite a few films "everybody's seen" that I haven't seen :P

BlitzGirl wrote:If Beanette comes out of that house pregnant again, I am going to castrate Beanie-1 to prevent him from inflicting more demonmutantminibeaniebabyspawn on the world of Time.

:shock: Not with your... usual methods, I hope!

BlitzGirl wrote:
Newpixian Protester
Spoiler:

Title text: OTTIFY THE CONSTITUTION

Heh, treeish. All politicians should molpy up! It'd solve the world's problems.

Speaking of "molpy up", I had a thought earlier today. Since we now have the new word "molpish" (inc. molpier, molpiest), would that also give "molpy up" a new second meaning - to make something more molpish? For example, "This thing is not lovable enough, I must molpy it up!"

---

Ooh! Looks like I've had a title bestowed upon me! I guess I'll put it in my sig once it becomes official… *wonders what ucim has planned in that department*…

Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
azule wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ggh wrote:Congratulations on your 1000th! I can't wait to see what you do for 1024.

Well, nothing. Since as I'm one of the few OTTers who isn't a mathsy computer/video game geek in the slightest, powers of 2 (I actually had to look up why it was significant) aren't as exciting to me :P

FTFY

I really wanted to do that, but didn't. :mrgreen:
Huh? Explain?

The significance of the number 1024 is mostly a computer thing. While it is related to binary, that doesn't make it a mathsy thing... hence azule's "FTFY" comment. See, there are actually 1,024 bytes in a kilobyte. Not 1,000. (1024KB in 1 MB. 1024MBs in 1 GB, etc etc) So hard drives and memory are measured in powers of 2 thus making 1024 a computery number. I probably did a terrible job at explaining that but there you go. :P

Oh, ok! Thanks. I never knew that. I naturally presumed a kilobyte was 1000. Because, y'know, it's called a kilobyte... Good to know!

HES wrote:I'm going away tomorrow for the west of the wip, so in case I don't have a chance to check in before then I'll say a temporary BYE now:

Bye and have fun whatever it is you're doing! We'll miss you and your hamply! Treeish comic too :lol:

BlitzGirl wrote:More favorite dialogue - LaPetite's speech:
Spoiler:

One of my favourites too! I love the cute innocent childlikeness of her speech in the face of oncoming disaster :)

azule wrote:I was hoping someone would answer this but forgot to check back. All you're missing is video games. NES was 8-bit, its competitor 16-bit. SNES 16-bit, competitor 32-bit. N64 (with the bits in the name), competitor 128-bit. That's about it, but the base 2 is same except bits not bytes. It's easy to do the math to get 1024. 1024-bit? I don't know, sounds scary. lol

Ahh! See, I have actually always noticed that, that computer things always go up in powers of 2. Like, external storage devices always come in 16, 32, 64 etc GB. But because you never see a "1024 GB" hard drive (because of course that would be a terabyte) I just never associated the number 1024 with computery stuff before.

Alright, now I'm well and truly ketched up and in the present!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:33 am UTC

Ebonite wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:OMR, I think I know the word search Present Present! :D Still working, though. I obviously missed some names in there.

Somehow, I had a feeling you'd figure it out. :-)

Yeah, I may have had a riverish advantage there. :wink:

And Randammit, I have five stray letters that I know are not part of the Present Present, but I have no clue what OTTer names they fit into.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:40 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
*horrific flashback*

Your earlier emoticon would go perfectly here for different reasons. ---> Image

I'm not ready for the BeanieONGs to end. :cry:

yappobiscuits wrote:Sharing creative works however - now that's a weird thing. I can be really quite shy in a normal social situation, but put me behind a mic on a stage in front of loads of people and suddenly I'm super confident and all shyness vanishes. I love sharing my creativity (music primarily of course) with anyone and everyone, and there's nothing like the buzz it gives me! :mrgreen:

It's so bizarre how that works. I'm great in crowds of people and even speaking to a room full of trainees or co-workers or regular people at a house party. I'm always part of the conversation and never have a problem in normal social situations... but put me behind a microphone and not a peep will come out. Classic stage fright. :oops:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:48 am UTC

Word search update: 104 OTTers, 7 bonus words, and I've figured out the Present Present. But it's still mustardy as I have those five extra letters. The positioning of the letters is such that it would take at minimum three more names to cover them. But I can't seem to find any OTTer names that fit.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:51 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Word search update: 104 OTTers, 7 bonus words, and I've figured out the Present Present. But it's still mustardy as I have those five extra letters. The positioning of the letters is such that it would take at minimum three more names to cover them. But I can't seem to find any OTTer names that fit.

If you'd like, send me your list in a private note and I'll validate it. (If you did it on paper, scan it and send me the image file.)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:59 am UTC

Ebonite wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Word search update: 104 OTTers, 7 bonus words, and I've figured out the Present Present. But it's still mustardy as I have those five extra letters. The positioning of the letters is such that it would take at minimum three more names to cover them. But I can't seem to find any OTTer names that fit.

If you'd like, send me your list in a private note and I'll validate it. (If you did it on paper, scan it and send me the image file.)

Will do. :) I'll go and scan it in.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Most word searches don't have to have every letter accounted for... unless Ebonite said as much and I missed it? Also, what's this about a Present within the game? I left mine open at work and will continue the search tomorrow mornip. ;)

ETA: As for that... feeling a bit chirpy atm and need to lay down early tonight. Molpy down, ya'll. xoxo
Spoiler:
Last edited by Valarya on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:03 am UTC

Ch*rping M*stard

You know when something really dissappointing happens and you have no one to blame but yourself? Yeah, I'm kinda in that boat right now. Egg ALL over my face. I ordered a new stick of RAM (as I mentioned earlier) on a whim without doing enough research. Turns out, it was SO-DIMM ram - the small kind that goes in a laptop. Which has absolutely no compatibility with DIMM ram, for desktops. Amazon has a nice returns policy but I just wasted $10 in shipping :S And now I have to wait however long it takes to ship back, and then more time after I order a new one (with much more careful scrutiny this time...)

ETA: And this isn't the first time I've made an impulse purchase that I regret. I've done it at least twice before, albeit with things that are a little less physical and less expensive. Amazon - love it, but I hate it.

Eternal Density

colourschemes nearly done!

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:21 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:6) If you haven't seen The Princess Bride, go and watch it RIGHT NOW. (Not optional.)

I shall have to do that! It's one of quite a few films "everybody's seen" that I haven't seen :P

Speaking of "molpy up", I had a thought earlier today. Since we now have the new word "molpish" (inc. molpier, molpiest), would that also give "molpy up" a new second meaning - to make something more molpish? For example, "This thing is not lovable enough, I must molpy it up!"

Alright, now I'm well and truly ketched up and in the present!
In reverse order:
Welcome!
Yeah, I like that.
Neither have I. Which is inconceivable given the number of quotes from it I know.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:23 am UTC

Valarya wrote:Most word searches don't have to have every letter accounted for... unless Ebonite said as much and I missed it? Also, what's this about a Present within the game? I left mine open at work and will continue the search tomorrow mornip. ;)

ETA: As for that... feeling a bit chirpy atm and need to lay down early tonight. Molpy down, ya'll. xoxo
Spoiler:

In my original posting, I had said:
Ebonite wrote:Then: a Present. There are a handful of names/words that appear in the grid that are not OTTer names. You'll recognize them when you find them.

Finally: if you happen to find ALL the OTTer names, and if you happen to find all of the non-OTTer names, and if I didn't screw anything up, if you look carefully, you might notice a Present Present. :-)

Eternal Density

darklightdarklightdarklight

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:30 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:ETA: And this isn't the first time I've made an impulse purchase that I regret. I've done it at least twice before, albeit with things that are a little less physical and less expensive. Amazon - love it, but I hate it.
The other week I ordered a smartphone, and then the next day learned a better model will be out soon. I was rather annoyed but happily I was able to cancel the order and get a full refund. (Partly because the company was low staffed so they hadn't gotten to my order yet, I think. They certainly took long enough to notice the cancellation request.)

Oh and

Code: Select all

0.88:
-colour scheme option!
-added light theme
-tweaked the dark theme a bit
Yep :D

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:56 am UTC

So bright...so shiney :D

Great work, ED

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:59 am UTC

WOnder93 knows so little....it's scary. :(

@HES - Loved the hamolpy adventure. Thanks and enjoy the wip.

Thank you, lmjb1964. That was very nice and hearfelt...*says to self* bad molpy! *says to Laura* *cough* excuse that. I really don't know what I was looking for but probably not an outpouring of chearing up juice. lol. I'm fine. Really cute redundasad :) and super actually sad sad molpy. :(

Kieryn wrote:Also noticed Valarya is about to hit 800 posts. Congrats in advance in case I miss it! :)
Congrats, Valarya.

Valarya wrote:I'm showing Val's true face online. 8-)
Take off those glasses! Oh, doesn't matter. I see right through them. ;)

you people really can't stop clicking, can you?
No, we can't. I get verklempt when OTTers trick me. *glump glump*

ggh wrote:Azule - loved the poem, and she will too. I have a request, if you wouldn't mind doing so. Could you go back and edit, changing "two teeth" to "six teeth"? Then she will know that it was about her personally. :) How's your little doll doing? Did you ever believe time would go so quickly?
How chirpin' cute! six teeth. hehe. Sure, I'll update that accordingly.
Thanks for asking, he's doing swell. Everyone says "he's so big"...I thought they'd say "so small". :( lol. I asked for a big child and big is what I got. I'll be proud when he grows, for now...how to keep him a baby forever. *ponders*

Eternal Density wrote:I'll see what I can do about downgrading or removing jQuery. It's only there because ChronosDragon used it to do the clock hand. Or I can possibly detect old IE and not do the clock there.
Weird. So, jQuery, the highly praised/used JS library, doesn't work with IE? Old IE, whatever? I know that feature detection should save the site from breaking because of some unusable code, but jQ doesn't do that for you? *perplexed*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:01 am UTC

Happy 300, patzer!
Oooh, new color scheme! I'm still a fan of the black, but the contrast is treeish, ED!

Third verse of the collaborative Radio Ga Ga ottification:
I'd sit alone and read those types
My only friends even in real life
And that one thing that kept us glued?
We'd never thought we're being stewed

I'd come and join- a religion
Or write an ott- ification
But all of this- it would not last
1190- was in the past

But don't become some background noise
You can't forget those posting joys
Come post with me because we care
And spare some thoughts for those not there
We've seen all Time, we've shared its power
We can still build a new sand tower
OTT.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Molpying up the game

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:21 am UTC

I added a badge, a badge, a badge, a badge a, badge a, badgea, badger, badger, badger, badger... several badges!
Still gotta test them though. And add more stuff :D

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:29 am UTC

@azuleAdd me to the list of (probably all of us) who greatly value your contributions! Sometimes the simplest things are the most effective; genius is doing something simple where something complicated would be just as good. And doing something simple is not simple!

But I think there were just two different meanings of the word "iffy" in play, and communication turned to mustard. And when mustard happens, put it on a hot dog. :)

lmjb1964 wrote:As Transcendental Imaginator, which I may or may not be, I move that Marsh'n, since xe is no longer posting, be trebucheted current past new old Patriach. This is a title xe will not have until such time as xe does or does not return to the OTT, at which point xe will have it until xe doesn't.
And somebody wanted me to bestow titles? That one's hard to beat!

Have a great trip HES! I wonder if the molpies will like their molpy-balls so much they won't want to get out of them!

Earthling on Mars wrote:Does the government think we're aliens?!
Doens't everyone? (I am now noticing the screen name of the person I'm quoting. Oh the irony!)

Earthling on Mars wrote:BlitzGirl Primordial. Sounds much better than "Zeroeth". Also applies to RobIrr.
Now that's a cool title! BlitzGirl the Primordial. But should it apply Outside the One True Thread? Does such a thing as "Outside Threads" even exist? I suppose there are some wacky religions that give credence to such "Outside Threads", but we must be very careful; this inevitably leads to to heretical beliefs such as the Daystar and "real life". We cannot allow ourselves to be taken down that path, for there lies madness!

MistyCat wrote:Very tempted to stray from my straight path from the past to see future readings from "Acts of the Clerics."
Jose, you have my thanks and admiration.
Ah, temptation. To deal with it, you must have faith - faith in yourself and in your inner strength, and faith that what tempts you will still be there. The former you must discover on your own, but to the latter I offer my highest assurance that these Acts, these Most Holy Books, will be there long past the End of Time. If you stay true to the First and Greatest Commandment, you will find that you will be Richly Rewarded.

But I say verily unto thee that should you stray, should you fall and succumb to temptation, you will also be richly rewarded. The choice is yours.

AluisioASG, commemorating patzer's 300 wrote:Image
That is one weird treeish hat!

Wow! Just wow!

I never realized how intricate the melody actually was until I heard this!

Steakish job!

yappobiscuits wrote:Ahh I do love the Skyrim soundtrack so very much... Yes, that's a flutterbeewingish one... I love the (what I think is a) hammered dulcimer in that.
Yes, that almost certainly is a hammer dulcimer. (I also mustard around with a hammer dulcimer) That clip is also quite beautious.

Eternal Density wrote:I added a badge, a badge, a badge, a badge a, badge a, badgea, badger, badger, badger, badger.
Spoiler:
Grapevine, grapevine!
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:30 am UTC

Yay, word search done! Thanks, Ebonite! :mrgreen:

Now to reread the past few newpages to check and see if I missed anything while I was puzzling. :)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:40 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Wow! BlitzGirl the Zeroth sounds so cool! Unfortunately, yes, back in 2009 I was blitzing through the xkcd archive, and through the xkcdsw thread, but unfortunately, I could never do it :(

I never finished blitzing, I've never continued blitzing since my last contribution, so, huh, how do I finish this phrase now??
Hah, not so fast. If you blitzed and were current, that is commendable. Keeping ketchupped is not necessary, as the voyage you undertook is what earned you this title.

Vytron wrote:Oh, I know, distraction!

Today's Vytron Presents: The Lost Frames

http://xkcd.com/651/

Alt-text: At least give me back my water.
No.

(it feels awesome to have a backlog of unpublished content that other people want to see! :D)

Also, all you people have done a flutterwowfulzing work in the pages I've been blitzing though, seamencoffee on!
*distracted* Yay, my first naughty glimpse of the Past I wasn't meant to see. It's beauteous. Thanks!

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:41 am UTC

The Sandcastle Builder is so incredibly addictive and I'm not sure why. I haven't been this excited about ONGs in a lONG time.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:41 am UTC

BlitzGirl has successfully solved the Word Search, despite an error I made in the grid that resulted in several mustardy cells! Congratulations, BlitzGirl! Spaceman Spiff appears to be very close behind her. Although I haven't seen his grid yet or evidence that he found the Present Present, he definitely found the mustardy cells.

In case anyone is getting seriously thrown off by the mustard, here is a corrected word search grid. Just to be clear what the difference is:
  • All of the OTTer names in the first grid should still appear in the second grid.
  • One of the OTTer names I had intended to appear in the first grid did not appear due to my error, creating mustard. This second grid fixes that, so a new name appears, and the mustard goes away.
  • The Present Present didn't work properly in the first grid. It's correct in the second grid.

One word of advice: the "other" word list is relatively short and extremely obvious. If you're not sure it belongs there, it probably doesn't, and will mess up the Present Present if you include it.

Redundant
Spoiler:
OTT word search.PNG

ETA: And with that, time to coma. I will probably post the name list (and "Other" name list) sometime tomorrow, unless people prefer I wait a little longer.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:06 am UTC

rONG:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

rIGHT

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:09 am UTC

Here ya go!

0.89:
-many sand rate badges and another badge
-2 click boosts
-added sand per click stat
-renamed sand per click variables because they aren't mouse sand per mNP, duh
-scaffold boost

Also last night I was wondering how Nyan Cat and Never Gonna Give You Up would work combined. This lead to me humming and whistling to myself why StormAngel messed around with his piano.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:11 am UTC

Ninja Omnipresence is mine! ED, you are one cruel, cruel m*stard.

Eternal Density

ding!

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:17 am UTC

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Ninja Omnipresence is mine! ED, you are one cruel, cruel m*stard.

MAXIMUM BAOBABISHNESS!

Maybe I don't need to make it slightly easier after all.
Also when I add some extra rewards for getting that, I'll be sure to make sure that upgrading version which already have it will get rewarded. (Also did you have Ninja Builders boost?)
ETA: just remembered my phone has been in my pocket all day and is still running version 0.8532. Also it hasd 10k castles to spend...
ETA: speaking of badges:
redundant:
Spoiler:
badger.PNG
badger.PNG (17.86 KiB) Viewed 13394 times

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:03 am UTC

@patzer - Neat odetity. My gf says what about bong? It's clearly something being smoked around here. haha, jk. ;)

AluisioASG wrote:I gave up after realizing I shouldn't be forcing my eye like that.
What's wrong with your eye? Recovering, I hope. *salud*

lmjb1964 wrote:I have that same typing issue, except I have a meowlpy on my arm.
I wrote my version with your version in mind, btw. :)

AluisioASG wrote:Preemptive cake for azule:

Um, thanks. Oh, it's the 9th of September. Cool.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:18 am UTC

A dash of puzzle Image

@Goggalor: Hi, nice to see you again! :D
@patzer: Awesomeful ottification of #1020!
@MistyCat and WOnder93: Best of luck on your blitzing!
@cellocgw: The model sailboat project sounds treeish! I'd love to see pictures when it's done. :)

Vytron wrote:Who has the highest C**kies per second, anyway? Do people still play this game in the future?

Spoilered for heresy:
Spoiler:
1.264 billion c**kies/s, though I'm not really playing these dips, just leaving it open in a tab. I'm Waiting to see what the whole Dungeons deal is about before I give it up entirely.
yappobiscuits wrote:If you'd told 18-year-old me he'd be socially normal in a few years he'd never believe you :P. I'm not totally normal yet, I've never had a girlfriend, or even been on a date, or even kissed a girl... not deliberately, not because I "don't feel ready" or whatever, but just because I'm so shy (more like terrified) when it comes to letting someone know I'm attracted to them. And I've just generally never had any luck in the romance department.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. Same sort of situation over here, bad luck with the opposite gender. *shrug* I figure it'll get better eventually, and I'm not in any hurry.

yappobiscuits wrote:<snip> Besides I don't fancy having to explain it to people. Because they'll inevitably ask. No, I'm definitely writing new, serious*, non-OTTish, no-explanation-needed lyrics (and it needs a proper title too) before it goes public.

*Serious in power metal terms anyway, so not SUPER serious. But still more serious than "ch*rping m*stard…"

So...would that be a deottification? :P

ggh wrote:
Vytron wrote:... that were deleted in the great wipe of attachments that happened at some point.

Attachments get wiped? Mustard.

Yikes. Hope that doesn't happen again any Time soon...all the more reason to keep up the Database and the OTW, I guess.

And now, in an attempt to fix my molpy-down schedule, I'm off to go...

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

waveney

Notes on The Beany ONGs

Postby waveney » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:46 am UTC

The current story has finished, but there may be more at some point.

Story

Put together over a week or so then mostly created on one weekend when my wife was away and I was able to spend many uninterrupted hours on it.

Art

All the backdrops come straight from the OTC, most images from simply cutting and pasting from the OTC, with a few changes to limbs and a stomach. I also got a few elements from OtherComics such as Rosseta's papal hat - I feel GLR would approve of a female Pope.

How

All in paint :-( I have photoshop on my dead laptop...

Language

Almost all the Beanish is that from the OTC, with the safeword from the OTT. I added one "word" by extending Image the food they eat at the tree into Image for "Feast". As to what Amtoo said at the birth - it was unrecognisable to anybody!

Mustard

I missed one error that was caught by balthasar_s (now corrected). I spotted one VERY serious case of mustard before the critical image was posted, otherwise I have left it alone and just waited for it to appear as an ONG. (Ok if you must know I left Amtoo OUT of one image!!! :shock: )

Did you spot:
  • The Turtle Molpy? (It was at the wedding and the reception)
  • The Castle Cake?
  • Beanette was fatter on the way down after the wedding?
  • Amtoo's Bow tie at the wedding ?
  • The Beany boy and girl where both in the wedding crowd, but only the girl was shown at the reception? She was sitting on the table.
  • The vegetation that grew between the twins first appearance and when they ran around?

Will there be a chapter 2?

Probably, not planned (yet), I have some ideas but not enough to make chapter 2 (yet).

I hope you have enjoyed watching. (And this is my 100th post - No chocolate please - I don't like it)

Spoiler:
feast.png
feast.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 13349 times
food.png
food.png (1.13 KiB) Viewed 13349 times

Wait for it

Eternal Density

Notification

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:28 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Vytron wrote:Who has the highest C**kies per second, anyway? Do people still play this game in the future?

Spoilered for heresy:
Spoiler:
1.264 billion c**kies/s, though I'm not really playing these dips, just leaving it open in a tab. I'm Waiting to see what the whole Dungeons deal is about before I give it up entirely.
yappobiscuits wrote:If you'd told 18-year-old me he'd be socially normal in a few years he'd never believe you :P. I'm not totally normal yet, I've never had a girlfriend, or even been on a date, or even kissed a girl... not deliberately, not because I "don't feel ready" or whatever, but just because I'm so shy (more like terrified) when it comes to letting someone know I'm attracted to them. And I've just generally never had any luck in the romance department.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. Same sort of situation over here, bad luck with the opposite gender. *shrug* I figure it'll get better eventually, and I'm not in any hurry.
I'm about 10 times that but I'm kinda abusing Heavenly Shards so...

I think 18yo me was probably a bit more socially normal than current me. Or maybe 19-ish. Whatever. I'm quite apathetic about the 'romance department'. It can set up shop behind the department of redundancy department :P

In other news:
Sandcastle Builder v0.9 is here!

0.9:
-notifications!
-more badges!
Last edited by Eternal Density on Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:14 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:In a way, because I'm a bit less inhibited online I'm even more the real me.
<snip/>
since I want to become known as a musician, having an online presence as the real me is something I actually feel I should have.
Thank you for putting the real you out there for us. I think the lack of inhibitedness is basically true for all of us. The real me draws/rearranges things in my head all the time. The other real me doesn't always make that visible to others. But the real makes it visible to OTTers. ;)

As a musician, I don't think you have to be that open, as some very talented musicians are completely closeted and such. If I ever broke out of my non-music making funk, that would probably be me; except for the soul baring lyrics. :)

yappobiscuits wrote:but just because I'm so shy (more like terrified) when it comes to letting someone know I'm attracted to them
This is so Past me, you wouldn't believe. Like I said before, basically it's friend networking. And yes, just be yourself, people will like you, even if you're so shy you can't communicate. P.S. I wrote a song featuring "terrified" as a lyric, in the context of love or something.

taixzo

Re: Nopixly rONG

Postby taixzo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:17 am UTC

It appears that I have fallen behind, due to my academic workload. And it worries me slightly that after two weeks I only have 40 Newpages to go. Oh well, I must return to the Present under any circumstances!

BlitzGirl wrote:
Temporal Edit:

I've come here from the future of NP1428 to give you this warning:
Four posts down, Eternal Density posts a link to an addictive cookie-making game.

Do not click it.
It is EVIL.

But I must open all links, at any cost! Oh well, let's see why this is evil.

Oh.

I can't stop clicking!

This is going to just go on forever!

... Wait.
I think I'll end it here.

Spoiler:

Redundaspoiler, no kitty:
Spoiler:
cook.png
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Eternal Density

C**kies Shm**kies

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 am UTC

Never mind that, click the link in my sig!

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:24 am UTC

Blindposting from NP 1455 of 1457

Hi all. In my last post I wrote that I would go back to blitzing, but the truth is that I kept sticking around in or close to the present (but as of now, haven't even managed to be entirely ketchupped there). Still, I'm not keeping that my dirty little secret because there's been so much that I want to respond to!

Thank you for your commendations on my wiki work SBN (alliterative, even!), pelrigg and BlitzGirl!

ergman wrote:*answered*
Spoiler:

This is, well, treeish!

pelrigg wrote:Just because here's an OTTcolor for y'all (from M2298):
Spoiler:

And that's just baobabish. Is it just my old monitor or my coma deprivation - I could have sworn I've been seeing movement in those colours, almost like dancing flames (soo... hypnotic). But whenever I look closer, it seems to vanish like an illusion.

Eternal Density wrote:Am I doing this right?
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Castle_Builder

Looks just fine to me.

lmjb1964, all the best to your dad and especially to your sister!

AluisioASG wrote:My last attempt didn't work, but let's try again, shall we?

What about a collaborative ottification of Radio Ga Ga? Just one stanza per person, please!
Spoiler:
Here, I wrote the first one:

I'd sit alone and read those types
My only friends even in real life
And that one thing that kept us glued?
We'd never thought we're being stewed

Any general idea where this is supposed to be going, maybe? Otherwise this might turn out kinda like "Exquisite Corpse". Or is that your intention?

azule, as far as the graphics are concerned your ottification was really steakish! But the idea of the story really was too difficult to understand, I guess. I for one didn't get it until you explained it, and that probably kept me from commenting. More or less the same may have gone for many others of us, and that may explain the general lack of (unsolicited) comments on your ottercomic in the thread.

Happy (belated) 800th post Valarya!

Valarya wrote:I think I'll save the penis and mustard jokes for my 1,000. That means you'll have to
Spoiler:

;)

"Run"? :wink:

That's it for now. Don't know if I'll post from the present or near-present next time, or return to blitz through the earlier past. Maybe I'll even keep on schizoblitzing? I suppose I'm not going to commit myself, this way I can't prove myself wrong. :)
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

mrob27

Time-capsule from mrob27, deposited on Newpage 223

Postby mrob27 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:25 am UTC

Time-capsule from mrob27, deposited on Newpage 223
Do not open until Newpage 1457

When you open this message I will have been gone for about 20 newpages. Nopixbit continues its periodic ONG, relaying messages from the afterwhen (i.e. your present time). I've saved up a lot, and it's broken into 3 sections. Apologies in advance for seaishness:

@AluisioASG, thanks for the sigcouragement! What's this "chirpingmustard.com"? I'm away on blitz for 20 newpages, and already there's an OTTer subdomain? :) Image go molpies!

@BlitzGirl mentions schizo-blitzing. I think that's when you blitz and also read the current thread at the same time. No, that'd surely drive me schizo. Instead I merely search for choicy keywords in the textfile generated by the Perl script that makes the index at mrob.com/time. When I find something I read it only in ASCII, not in a web browser. That, plus the inherent delay in such a clumsy method, makes it feel like I'm reading letters from a distant place. I really does feel like I'm on a long voyage. (And yes, you can change "mrob27" to something like "ɱŕøƄ27" if you want to mention me without me seeing it until I've caught up :) )

@Valarya marvels at the strange and wonderful accent marks on my text and asks if I got help from the bots -- indeed, I have written more Perl scripts as a result of this blitzing adventure than any other project. In addition to downloading and parsing the OTT itself, I have scripts to generate the "Timborme is at NP123/1456" image in my signature, scripts to generate lists of new words invented by the Timewaiters, and scripts to encode/decode various obfuscations: hexdecode, rot13, and ransomnote. I know I'll need others soon.

The diacritics were created by that last one, "ransomnote". It takes ASCII text input and doesn't touch BBcode tags. It takes an argument specifying what fraction of the input should be altered. For example, with the argument 0.1, 10% of the characters will be changed. It doesn't require any Perl libraries so should be easy for you to adapt:

Source code, spoiled for seaishness:
Spoiler:

#!/usr/bin/perl
#
$bapropos = q@
ransomnote(1r)    -- Make text look kinda crazy but still readable
@;

$help = q@
NAME

ransomnote   - Make text look kinda crazy but still readable

SYNOPSIS

ransomnote  [fraction] [file ...]

DESCRIPTION

This reads the the standard input or any specified file(s) and turns
ASCII characters into similar Unicode characters.

Supply a numeric argument to specify what fraction of the input should
be changed. For example, with an argument of 0.5 it will convert half
of the letters (selected at random). The default fraction is 0.1
@;

qq`

REVISION HISTORY

20130906 First version, pretty much get it working.
 20130907 Replace Unicode characters with octal escapes and describe each one
 20130908 rpmlib.pl not needed

`;

$| = 1;

my %encoding = (
      "a" => "\303\245",        # a with ring above
      "b" => "\306\204",        # capital tone six
      "c" => "\303\247",        # c with cedilla
      "d" => "\342\210\202",    # partial differential ("curly d")
      "e" => "\303\251",        # e with acute
      "f" => "\306\222",        # f with hook
      "g" => "\304\237",        # g with breve
      "h" => "\342\204\217",    # planck constant over 2 pi (italic h with stroke)
      "i" => "\303\256",        # i with circumflex
      "j" => "\307\260",        # j with caron
      "k" => "\304\267",        # k with cedilla
      "l" => "\305\200",        # l with middle dot
      "m" => "\311\261",        # m with hook
      "n" => "\303\261",        # n with tilde
      "o" => "\303\270",        # o with stroke
      "p" => "\341\271\227",    # p with dot above
      "q" => "\307\255",        # o with ogonek and macron
      "r" => "\305\225",        # r with acute
      "s" => "\305\235",        # s with circumflex
      "t" => "\342\200\240",    # dagger
      "u" => "\303\274",        # u with diaerisis
      "v" => "\341\271\277",    # v with dot below
      "w" => "\317\211",        # omega
      "x" => "\341\272\213",    # x with dot above
      "y" => "\303\275",        # y with acute
      "z" => "\305\276",        # z with caron
      "A" => "\341\272\244",    # A with circumflex and acute
      "B" => "\311\203",        # B with stroke
      "C" => "\303\207",        # C with cedilla
      "D" => "\304\220",        # D with stroke
      "E" => "\304\222",        # E with macron
      "F" => "\341\270\236",    # F with dot above
      "G" => "\307\244",        # G with stroke
      "H" => "\304\244",        # H with circumflex
      "I" => "\341\270\256",    # I with diaeresis and acute
      "J" => "\304\264",        # J with circumflex
      "K" => "\307\250",        # K with caron
      "L" => "\304\277",        # L with middle dot
      "M" => "\341\271\200",    # M with dot above
      "N" => "\307\270",        # N with grave
      "O" => "\341\273\242",    # O with horn and dot below
      "P" => "\306\244",        # P with hook
      "Q" => "\317\230",        # archaic Koppa
      "R" => "\305\226",        # R with cedilla
      "S" => "\310\230",        # S with comma below
      "T" => "\305\246",        # T with stroke
      "U" => "\303\234",        # U with diaerisis
      "V" => "\341\271\274",    # V with tilde
      "W" => "\341\272\202",    # W with acute
      "X" => "\317\207",        # Chi
      "Y" => "\306\263",        # Y with hook
      "Z" => "\306\265",        # Z with stroke

"xx" => '');

sub do1
{
  my($s) = @_;
  my($p1, $h, $a, $p3, $rv);

$rv = '';
  while($s ne '') {
    if (0) {
    } elsif ($s =~ m|^(\[[^\]+]+\])(.*)$|) {
      $h = $1; $s = $2;
      $rv .= $h;
    } elsif ($s =~ m|^(.)(.*)$|) {
      $h = $1; $s = $2;
      if (rand() < $g_freq) {
        if ($encoding{$h} ne '') {
          $h = $encoding{$h};
        }
      }
      $rv .= $h;
    } else {
      # Catchall to prevent infinite loop
      $rv .= $s;
      $s = '';
    }
  }
  return $rv;
}

$g_freq = 0.10;
while($arg = shift) {
  if ($arg =~ m/^-[-]?h(elp)?$/) {
    print $help;
    exit(0);
  } elsif (($arg =~ m|^([.0-9]+)$|) && ($arg > 0) && ($arg <= 1)) {
    # Custom frequency
    $g_freq = $arg;
  } else {
    print STDERR "Unrecognized argument '$arg'\n";
    exit(-1);
  }
}

# Do requested action(s)
while ($l = <>) {
  chomp $l;
  print &do1($l);
  print "\n";
}
print "\n";
Remember, with seaish power comes seaish, -- oh, chirpit, go molpies!

While I've been blitzing through the distant past, I asked Nopixbot to watch for @Eternal Density's castle-clicker game, which he duly found, and I've let him use one or two spare CPU cores to build up an impressive array of buckets, trebuchets, NewPixBots and all the rest. Great game! I like the light color scheme particularly -- the white-on-black thing was really hurting my eyes (ask any optometrist). Nopixbot has had some free time and keeps himself busy playing.

Now for news from my Blitz. Things are getting more interesting in the One True Thread. Here's my travelogue for the last 50 Newpages or so:

- < O > -

I was entertained by talk of the good old days of punch cards and FORTRAN, and of course the Madness.

I found a great discussion about units of measurement within the One True Comic. Somedix I'd like to OTTify xkcd 1047 to address the physical constants within Megan and Cueball's world. I'm Robert Munafo, so I'm sorta the one to do it :mrgreen: Plus, 1046 and 1048 have already been OTTified, so we'd have 3 in a row :)

After many newpages I have entered into the period of appointing Cardinals, electing Popes (@Helper the First), and the making of Hats. I heartily approve!

There is yet very little creativity, but a few poems (mainly prayers and incantations religious in nature) and the occasional modified frame remind me that there is a lot more to look forward to.

People have speculated a lot about this, but I'm clear on one thing: the Madness, and perhaps WarpPix, have filtered people out. I think that was essential for forming the culture that I see forming around me. In other words, it was lucky fate that xkcd 1190 Time started just before Mod Madness 2013.

Regarding the One True Comic (what's that, our topic?) I arrived at frame 320, and the famous "Any idea where the river is now?" dialogue. I was pleased to see that it took only 45 minutes for @Mr Moriaty to hypothesize a dried-up river, and another 31 minutes after that for @Angelastic to suggest that the water to the right is a lake that is seasonally flooded by a river that is currently off to the left. Brava!

I also recently ran across the references (see OTT:221:6) to the comic that led to @azule's avatar.

Traumatic early c**kie memories, indeed...

And most recently, I have reached the first blindpost by @BlitzGirl during her quest that ultimately gave so much inspiration to the rest of us:
In the remote afore-when of Newpage 223, BlitzGirl wrote:Alas, I came to this thread hundreds of newpix after the Beginning of Time. As penitence for my lateness and as a demonstration of my devotion I have set out on a quest to read every page of the One True Thread, like the noble Beidah long before me.

Quest progress: 77 out of 223 pages.
The Populated Period of Expansion. NP 156.

I send forth this message now in the fervent hope that I shall encounter it again on my journey, tangled in the thread of Time.

In my own taxonomy of OTT history this is the third era of cultural development within the OTT. I have made it through the initial period with lots of non-serious members; and the "maturation and defining" period of the Madness and WarpPix leaving only the devoted followers. I am relieved to have reached this 3rd period (which I'll need to characterize after I've actually experienced it) and know things are going to be getting a lot more interesting pretty soon...

- < O > -

Here are some other notes relating more to the present time:

My index at http://mrob.com/time/ is a little better: the frame numbers link to mscha's viewer (chosen mainly because the frame numbering is easiest) and the OTT links now use post-number addressing which means they'll keep pointing to the right post even if an earlier post gets added or removed.

I am using the "Newpix converter" script by Pikrass at 88.191.116.37/xkcd/newpix-convertor.user.js, which helps me stay in character (my alter-ego and pen name, @Timborme) for my blitz. I discovered that it is off by some number of heretical "hours" (apparently the local UTC offset) unless you go into the forum preferences, select Custom date format, and keep the default string "D M d, Y g:i a e". The "e" is the important part, it tells the timezone. Is there a list of tips for blitzers?

Remember my statistics of the OTC versus various works of literature? That's one of Nopixbot's jobs, and I've been rewiring him a bit to give less significance to text inside quotes (using the formula B-N where B is an arbitrary base and N is the level of quote nesting). I have discovered from actual blitzing that I can follow the thread quite well without reading hardly any of the quoted text, so for me the base B should be pretty large. Here is an updated list of statistics, cpw is characters per word:

• The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (with introduction and appendices): 623,674 words; 3,323,830 characters; 5.329
  • King James Bible: 790,216 words; 4,210,689 chars; 5.329 cpw (Here I removed the book/chapter/verse label "GEN 1:23" from each line)
  • Complete Works of Shakespeare (the 39 plays listed in the Wikipedia article plus the sonnets and other poetry): 985,834 words; 5,543,989 chars; 5.624 cpw (Here the word length boosted a bit because play characters' names are given each time they have lines)
  • Harry Potter (7 books plus the 3 short ones): 1,149,637 words, 6,594,223 chars; 5.736 cpw
  • The One True Thread (level-N quotes count 8-N as much as unquoted text): 3,375,239 words, 14,116,565 chars; 4.182 cpw
  • The One True Thread (level-N quotes count 4-N): 3,673,362 words, 15,437,794 chars; 4.203 cpw
  • The One True Thread (level-N quotes count 2-N): 4,430,186 words, 18,788,923 chars; 4.241 cpw
  • The One True Thread (quotes counted fully): 7,021,361 words, 30,251,202 chars; 4.308 cpw
I don't know why the OTT turns out to have such a low characters-per-word, but the fact that I'm counting the dates like "Thu Sep 05 2013 7 56 am UTC" probably isn't helping :)

- mrob27

P.S. My blitzing companion @Timborme hasn't felt too creative lately, but I hope to forward something from him on another Time-capsule.

- end transmission -

Spoiler:
azule-firefox with cookies.png
azule firefox with c**kies!
azule-firefox with cookies.png (179.15 KiB) Viewed 13275 times
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:45 am UTC

Treeish time capsule mrob27! And I'm glad you're enjoying Sandcastle Builder and the new light colour scheme.

ETA I need to change the notification shadow colour for the light scheme so it's visible on black.
ETA I'm seeing mustard on the number of castles wasted by scaffolds. Likely related to Precise Placement boost. But dinner time now. ETA trebuchets too. Actually I think it's leftover from yesterday's Mustard Incident
Last edited by Eternal Density on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”