1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

waveney

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby waveney » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:58 am UTC

New What-ii...

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:08 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:Hello everyone, it's been far too long thanks to school starting and brothers getting married and other outside stuff. Anyways I was watching Wheel of Fortune with my grandparents and the final puzzle was Wait for it. I wish I had a DVR so I could screencap it.

I'll try to post and read more often, but no promises (thankfully I'm not completely removed from the OTT thanks to the Facebook group).

We'll be happy to see you whenever you stop by.

ChronosDragon wrote:Since no one has gotten it, I suppose I'll just say the answer. In a spoiler, for real spoiler, in case anyone wants to keep trying for themselves:

Spoiler:
It's the third component of the Mu Arietis system. The first part of the clue is intended to hint at the number 6.72 - one-tenth of the average human lifespan - which is the magnitude of this star. The second part indicates it's a four-star system with an inner pair and an outer pair, and that the one in question is the third outermost one. The last part somewhat roundaboutly suggests the number 8.845 (1769 / 200) which is the orbital period of this star.

I was probably too vague, but it's a riddle! It's supposed to be vague! :P

yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:

Ooh, this looks promising! I look forward to seeing further progress!

If you're interested in seeing some scraps created during production (ongoing), I posted a few to deviantart

If hell had frozen over and pigmolpies flew, I wouldn't have gotten that. :)

I like your drawings. But what's a devian tart?

azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I have that same typing issue, except I have a meowlpy on my arm.
I wrote my version with your version in mind, btw. :)

I thought it sounded familiar. :)

ggh wrote:Thanks Laura Mae! Any news on your kin?

Thanks for asking. My dad is home and fine, it was a minor thing made worse by blood thinners, though they'll probably do some more tests. My sister's surgery went mostly well. (spoilered because I couldn't decide if it was TMI or not.)
Spoiler:
It was a double mastectomy with a somewhat complicated reconstruction. The mastectomy went fine, but the second part was supposed to be something called a DIEP flap. They weren't able to do it and had to do a TRAM flap, which can have some other complications. When she wakes up tomorrow and realizes it, I think she's going to be really sad, and that makes me sad. But the cancer should be gone, and though it will be a long recovery, she came through the surgery really well.

There was some other cool stuff I saw, but I'm wiped and should have gone to C-O-M-A a long time ago. Molpy down. (Imagine cute sleeping molpy picture here.)

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:18 am UTC

I have returned and see all is well.

I see the Sandcastle builder has been upgraded into awesomeness. Cool ED, as soon as I loaded it I got a lot of badges. As soon as I clicked I got even more. Yaay!

Now to read up on a lot of NP's that have been filled with awesomeness during my weekend. This afternoon I will get a package. One with a smartphone in it. With a bit of luck this would mean I can read the OTT in the train and then I do not have to take as much time to read up on the OTT.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:44 am UTC

on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:53:36 pm (NP921), ergman wrote:they will meet an old wizard on top of the mountain who will magically heal their wounds.
---snip---
just when all seems lost, LaPetite will drift by on the top half of their sandcastle and they will all get on and sail around the world

:shock: ergman!!! how?
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Eternal Density

Why did this submit before I wrote anything?

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:13 am UTC

Flado wrote:
on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:53:36 pm (NP921), ergman wrote:they will meet an old wizard on top of the mountain who will magically heal their wounds.
---snip---
just when all seems lost, LaPetite will drift by on the top half of their sandcastle and they will all get on and sail around the world

ergman = GLR

Also I edited what turned out to be the goat of the previous page, and coined the term (maybe) Mustard Incident
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:31 am UTC

Gah. There were things I wanted to say, but then I watched Yappo playing accordion nyah-cat and I can't remember anything.

I did finish the wordsearch though, and Ebonite, I just want to say thanks and:
Spoiler:
wow, you really did an amazing job with that! At first, I was just impressed with how densely you packed the names in there (and thanks for including me by the way.) Then, when I saw what the quote was, I realized how beautifully you had answered BlitzGirl's plea. Perfect.

Oh, and now I remember a couple - the nyah cat must be wearing off:
Azule, thanks for customizing the poem! And, my girl's over 11kg now, so I imagine if I was there, I could happily truthfully remark on how small your wee boy is. If you do figure out how to keep him a baby for longer, please tell me!

Waveney - loved the ending of the BeanONG story! I look forward to the next chapter, but I'm also happy to
Spoiler:
wait for it
and savor this one for a while, while you rest and relax and wait for inspiration and free time to coincide again. Cheers!

ETA, to avoid double post:
lmjb1964 wrote:Thanks for asking. My dad is home and fine, it was a minor thing made worse by blood thinners, though they'll probably do some more tests. My sister's surgery went mostly well. (spoilered because I couldn't decide if it was TMI or not.)
Spoiler:
It was a double mastectomy with a somewhat complicated reconstruction. The mastectomy went fine, but the second part was supposed to be something called a DIEP flap. They weren't able to do it and had to do a TRAM flap, which can have some other complications. When she wakes up tomorrow and realizes it, I think she's going to be really sad, and that makes me sad. But the cancer should be gone, and though it will be a long recovery, she came through the surgery really well.
Ah... just read up on what those procedures are. Well, I hope the recovery goes as smoothly and hurts as little as possible. About the TMI thing: allow me a short rant. I hate when anyone says TMI to me or to anyone else. Real people have real bodies that do real things. While I'd agree that it's not good form to, say, talk about the texture of your mustard while someone is eating, I find that often people who call TMI are trying to make themselves look cool by making someone else feel awkward. I think the folks here, on the OTT, don't play that silly game. We're having too much fun playing other silly games. :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:24 am UTC

Ebonite wrote:I've seen a lot of comments about how slow the OTT has been lately. Since I haven't been contributing a whole lot recently, I thought I'd try my hand at giving everyone something interesting to do. How does a simple word search sound?

Spoiler:
OTT word search.PNG

OK, found myself. Couldn't find Summer Glau. :oops:

ETA:
imjb64 said something like
I like your drawings. But what's a devian tart?

I think it's a keyboard error. s//v//b/ to get Debian Tart, a pastry favored by those who don't use Windows :mrgreen:
Last edited by cellocgw on Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Re: Time-capsule from mrob27, deposited on Newpage 223

Postby cellocgw » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:42 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:[center][color=#009]Time-capsule from mrob27, deposited on Newpage 223

• The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (with introduction and appendices): 623,674 words; 3,323,830 characters; 5.329
  • King James Bible: 790,216 words; 4,210,689 chars; 5.329 cpw (Here I removed the book/chapter/verse label "GEN 1:23" from each line)
  • Complete Works of Shakespeare (the 39 plays listed in the Wikipedia article plus the sonnets and other poetry): 985,834 words; 5,543,989 chars; 5.624 cpw (Here the word length boosted a bit because play characters' names are given each time they have lines)
  • Harry Potter (7 books plus the 3 short ones): 1,149,637 words, 6,594,223 chars; 5.736 cpw
  • The One True Thread (level-N quotes count 8-N as much as unquoted text): 3,375,239 words, 14,116,565 chars; 4.182 cpw
  • The One True Thread (level-N quotes count 4-N): 3,673,362 words, 15,437,794 chars; 4.203 cpw
  • The One True Thread (level-N quotes count 2-N): 4,430,186 words, 18,788,923 chars; 4.241 cpw
  • The One True Thread (quotes counted fully): 7,021,361 words, 30,251,202 chars; 4.308 cpw

Funny thing--- just recently I downloaded a wordlist file (wordsEn.zip, but I forget from what site) and ran a length-barchart on it. Here it is, with the y-axis logarithmic.
dictcount.png
dictcount.png (3.7 KiB) Viewed 16573 times

(For those who care, here's the R-code used to generate the frequency count)

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

dochist<- function (file = "",  text = NULL, doby=c('character', 'word'), ...) {
# use pmatch to expand entry and set which thing to do
 char_or_word <- pmatch(doby[1], c('character', 'word') )
 # input validation - change if more options added
 if( is.na(char_or_word) ) stop('Invalid "doby" value. Must match "character" or "word."')
 splitchar <- c('',' ')[char_or_word]  #wicked cool, eh?
##  if !is.null(text) THEN process the contents of 'text' ELSE get the file name
if (!is.null(text)) {
        fbt<-text
      main=deparse(substitute(text)) #hope this is right
    }else {
        filename <- file
      main<- deparse(substitute(file))
        file <- file(filename, "r")
      #fbt<-readLines(file)
      fbt <- scan(file, what='character')
      (close(file))
    }
# Get rid of at least one bad escape char
fbt<-gsub('\036','',fbt)
if (char_or_word == 2) {
   #do all the word cleanups
   fbt<-gsub('[^a-zA-Z0-9]',' ',fbt)
   }
fbt<- unlist(strsplit(fbt,splitchar))
#fbt<-strsplit(fbt,'')
#fbt<-unlist(fbt)
fbt<-tolower(fbt)
# table(fbt) will get me the same info.  at least for 1e6-size input
#  table is twice as fast as rle.
# overkill to use switch, but fun and expandable
switch(char_or_word,
   { fbr<-table(fbt)
      plot(unclass(fbr), pch=names(fbr), xlab='character', ylab='count', xaxt='n', cex=.6, main=main, ...) },
   {fbr<-vector()
      for (j in 1: length(fbt)) fbr[j]<-length(unlist(strsplit(fbt[j],'')))
   # that seems to leave a bunch of zeros... because strsplit('','') returns nothing
   # Do I ever get  a length=1 from a space char? No: N spaces yield N-1 empty elements.
      fbr<-fbr[fbr>0]
      fbr<-table(fbr)
      plot(as.numeric(names(fbr)),unclass(fbr),xlab='word length', ylab='count',  cex=.6, main=main, ...)
      }
   )
return(invisible(fbr))
}
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I did finish the wordsearch though, and Ebonite, I just want to say thanks and:
Spoiler:
wow, you really did an amazing job with that! At first, I was just impressed with how densely you packed the names in there (and thanks for including me by the way.) Then, when I saw what the quote was, I realized how beautifully you had answered BlitzGirl's plea. Perfect.

Glad you enjoyed it! I would have liked to include more people's names, but quickly realized that the grid would just keep getting bigger and bigger. Doing this really made me appreciate all of the efforts that others have previously done (the graphs, charts, etc.) where they tried to include as many people as possible without disappointing everyone.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Eternal Density

Slow!

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

Do I need to add a reminder to the game to ensure that OTTers post on occasion?

ETA Cuegan are making 133.7 S/mNP!
Last edited by Eternal Density on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

waveney

Re: Slow!

Postby waveney » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Do I need to add a reminder to the game to ensure that OTTers post on occasion?

Have a badge for that...

ETA Cuegan making 213.5 S/mNP

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

waveney wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Do I need to add a reminder to the game to ensure that OTTers post on occasion?

Have a badge for that...

I just need to work out players' forum account from their ip. With javascript.

Also GLR has a grammar mustard in the what-if.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

ETA Cuegan are making 133.7 S/mNP!

You could add a link that points to posting.php?mode=reply&f=7&t=101043 and when someone clicks it, you get a badge. If you really wanted to get fancy, you could have it autofill the post form with the user's stats or something.

That might get annoying on the OTT, though. Still, some sort of quest/badge/link pointing back at the OTT would be fun.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

@CD, Well, there was the time I got a flat tire and bought a new car, does that count?

@lmjb1964, hoping for continued recovery, and lack of sadness.

@ggh and azule, they get more fun as they get bigger. Enjoy these days, but don't regret that they are temporary. My baby skype'd me from college yesterday, to show off her newly pink hair. (It's been other colors before, that was one area she couldn't rebel in, because I was fully supportive of most hair changing.) Also, apparently her college is installing a swingset outside her dorm.

My husband has a job interview today, which could cause some goodness, but also upheaval. (And I applied recently to continue my extra-ing fun, but no word yet.) I really need to do something about my day-to-day-to-day work situation, even if it causes me to be in ketchup mode more and interactive mode less.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

Can't decide if I want to contribute to the outside or the OTT... write more book or write more ottifiction? try to write songs or write more ottodies? Well either way I should probably get some outside work done first.

Oo, I'm in a word search, neat!
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
AluisioASG, commemorating patzer's 300 wrote:Image

That is one weird treeish hat!

Um, I thought it was a cake… or at least the search was "cake".

azule wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I gave up after realizing I shouldn't be forcing my eye like that.

What's wrong with your eye? Recovering, I hope. *salud*

Doctor says it's past the optical correction phase. I should bump these font sizes and stop reading at night before I go completely blind.
(It's a congenital case, but some situations exhaust my functional eye noticeably quickly, like the word search.)

azule wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Preemptive cake for azule:

Um, thanks. Oh, it's the 9th of September. Cool.

Umm, no. It's a 9 ½ cake. Oh wait, I see.

svenman wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:What about a collaborative ottification of Radio Ga Ga?

Any general idea where this is supposed to be going, maybe? Otherwise this might turn out kinda like "Exquisite Corpse". Or is that your intention?

I dunno, but I remember "we" means the OTT.

mrob27 wrote:@AluisioASG, thanks for the sigcouragement! What's this "chirpingmustard.com"? I'm away on blitz for 20 newpages, and already there's an OTTer subdomain? :) Image go molpies!

I must update those instructions shortly.

mrob27 wrote:I also recently ran across the references (see OTT:221:6) to the comic that led to @azule's avatar.
Traumatic early c**kie memories, indeed...

Desmond, is that you?

What kind of person does this?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

@waveny - That was a very treeish epilogue; I enjoyed it immensely! I didn't catch everything (though that means that you put in just the right amount!) and mustarded myself up on the amphora.

svenman wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
And that's just baobabish. Is it just my old monitor or my coma deprivation - I could have sworn I've been seeing movement in those colours, almost like dancing flames (soo... hypnotic). But whenever I look closer, it seems to vanish like an illusion.
I think it's a trick your eyes play. I don't see it in this picture, but I do sometimes see it if I'm sitting and just look idly at the carpet. It seems to have waves in it, moving back and forth, with an irregular period of about a second or so. The movement resembles the sky in the image to some degree (minus the color, as I'm looking at beige carpet). Interestingly I don't notice it in other settings where I might expect it, and I can't pin the movement down.

The eye has cells that directly respond to movement - this is done before the brain even gets the signal. So, the sense of movement is decoupled from the image itself, in a way. It's something like (I suppose) the way if you're dizzy, the room seems to spin while the image clearly isn't moving. (I wonder if it is this brain-disconnect that makes you dizzy, rather than the other way around.)

mrob27 wrote: I merely search for choicy keywords in the textfile generated by the Perl script that makes the index at mrob.com/time. When I find something I read it only in ASCII, not in a web browser. That, plus the inherent delay in such a clumsy method, makes it feel like I'm reading letters from a distant place. I really does feel like I'm on a long voyage. (And yes, you can change "mrob27" to something like "ɱŕøƄ27" if you want to mention me without me seeing it until I've caught up :) )
That's a method like unto a tree! Clever otter! (And if we wanted to sneak one by you, I suppose we could talk about "he who should not be named" :) )

mrob27 wrote:The diacritics were created by that last one, "ransomnote". It takes ASCII text input and doesn't touch BBcode tags. It takes an argument specifying what fraction of the input should be altered
Very treeish - that should be put in the wiki!

mrob27 wrote:I also recently ran across the references (see OTT:221:6) to the comic that led to @azule's avatar.
Great! I've been wondering about that for a long time.

AluisioASG wrote:
ucim wrote:That is one weird treeish hat!
Of course the hat's a cake - what else would you wear on your head - fabric?

@lmjb1964 - Glad your dad's ok Laura Mae, and I hope your sister recovers quickly and completely.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
ucim wrote:

It's a fully geared Mobius loop. I've seen it animated somewhere... probably via boingboing. Pretty cool whether or not you are infatuated with 3D printing.
resume
Former OTTer

42 guests

Postby 42 guests » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
waveney wrote:
pelrigg wrote:It's pretty late on a Saturdip. And the only ones I see are BlitzGirl and some guests. But Molpy down I must. BltzGirl, I'm sorry to leave you so lonely.

But I have been up for an hour this lovely Sundip morning - though I will be gone in 600mNP - I have some Molpies to look after.

Yes, the WHO IS ONLINE, it lies. It's probably heretical, but at least it makes a molpish 42 guests sandwich.

Lurking and ketchuping a few newpages back, and saw my name. Blindposting to say "hi"!

It is neat to see all the wonderful stuff in the past, but I look forward to lurking in the present again...
The One Who Left the Shadows

"What does the sound of 42 people watching Time sound like?"
- AluisioASG

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

BlindPosting from 655
Cheered by Sigcouragement from AluisioASG, Earthling on Mars and TheMinim.

I have reached mid-page 655, and stopped after reading ChronosDragon's The Case of the Little River Or, Une Petite Noire

I paused long at Rule110's The Alt-Text, and read it more than once.

I'm waiting, hoping to arrive at another Scene/Chapter/Episode of ucim's Acts of the Clerics.

I have read, watched, seen and listened to much that was marvelous, made by many.

There was music, there was poetry, there was art, there was wit, there was skill, there was more.

There is more, and it awaits.

Life is good.

I shan't rush.

I've made it to 655/1458
I shall reach the end.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

Valarya

Re: Notes on The Beany ONGs

Postby Valarya » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

MOLPY UP!
Spoiler:

waveney wrote:Did you spot:
  • The Turtle Molpy? (It was at the wedding and the reception)
  • The Castle Cake?
  • Beanette was fatter on the way down after the wedding?
  • Amtoo's Bow tie at the wedding ?
  • The Beany boy and girl where both in the wedding crowd, but only the girl was shown at the reception? She was sitting on the table.
  • The vegetation that grew between the twins first appearance and when they ran around?

I called for a molpy hunter a couple times during the BeanieONGs, but never heard a response. Someone molpy hunt the turtle-molpy!! :evil:
I really hope you do a chapter 2 (and that Latent comes back for a 2nd chapter of his ONGs). They're so chirping wowterful. Image

svenman wrote:
Valarya wrote:I think I'll save the penis and mustard jokes for my 1,000. That means you'll have to
Spoiler:
:wink:

"Run"? :wink:

Or curl up in a fetal position and.. :P

waveney wrote:New What-ii...

Oooh, he linked to Click & Drag on one of the pictures. I wonder if he'll ever reference Time on a future What-If. :D

-------------

In somewhat related news: I finally started watching Firefly. I like space cowboy stuff, and I'm huge in to sci-fi, but man some of this dialogue is just terrible. I also don't understand why everyone is obsessed with River Tam (Summer Glau). Kayley is a much better character and way more attractive. I am liking the show overall, though.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
ucim wrote:

It's a fully geared Mobius loop. I've seen it animated somewhere... probably via boingboing. Pretty cool whether or not you are infatuated with 3D printing.

Searching for "fully geared Mobious loop" turns up this (different machine, same idea) with its CAD design.

Discussion of original with links to a how to build it article here

Valarya wrote: Kayley is a much better character and way more attractive. I am liking the show overall, though.

I liked Kayley better too, even though the usual male nerd fascination with bionic women would have had favored Summer Glau.

ETA: Boy, it went from busy to zero very quickly:
Febrion, PEEMNPAURNILI, shenazrtgp, ttscp, ZoomanSP and 21 guests

Hi ZoomanSP, how are you doing? I suspect (as a long time lurker myself) there might be others out there.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
waveney wrote:

Have a badge for that...

I just need to work out players' forum account from their ip. With javascript.

I've been thinking about a way to verify forum users on my Database (so they can edit their own entries for example or do other stuff like voting and commenting on ottifications). I want to do it in a way that
1. makes reasonable sure that the user is the same as xe is on the OTT,
2. does not have to disclose any sensitive information (ie passwords for the forum),
3. is fully automated.
I came up with a scheme where the user registers at the Database site and then gets a random key xe has to paste into a post (as a footnote or ETA whatever) and then tell the Database the post number. The Database then looks up if the user has actually posted the key and therefore confirms the users identity.
It would be some programming and I am not sure if there is really interest in such a feature, though the Database could act as a kind of a clearing house for other projects, once it is in place.
The alternative (if not many OTTers are interested in such a feature) would simply be to send me a PM and I would do the registration manually.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:ETA: Boy, it went from busy to zero very quickly:

This has been a theme, lately... to point out how few people are lurking. But if you don't refresh every 2 minutes, the forum doesn't show your name down there as browsing. I think I read that correctly somewhere in the past. So there are probably way more logged in users lurking at any given moment than what you see. For example, I never left.. but my name isn't on that list.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
ttscp wrote:ETA: Boy, it went from busy to zero very quickly:

This has been a theme, lately... to point out how few people are lurking. But if you don't refresh every 2 minutes, the forum doesn't show your name down there as browsing. I think I read that correctly somewhere in the past. So there are probably way more logged in users lurking at any given moment than what you see. For example, I never left.. but my name isn't on that list.

On my part there was a subjective reaction because there had been about four posts between the time I started my post and the time I submitted, Then there weren't any posts. It felt surprisingly lonely.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

Nobody uses that image anymore.

@Goggalor - Wheel of Fortune
Spoiler:
Goggalor wrote:Anyways I was watching Wheel of Fortune with my grandparents and the final puzzle was Wait for it. I wish I had a DVR so I could screencap it.

Oh my. I watch Wheel most nights but I missed that one. :(

@various people - word search, memorization
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
Ebonite wrote:How does a simple word search sound?

Neat! I've already found 30
ggh wrote:So far, I'm up around 75.
ChronosDragon wrote:(for example, I know pi to about 40 digits)
BlitzGirl wrote:Word search? There goes my afternoon. Right now I'm at 10 bonus words and 97 OTTers,

Way behind you all... (only found 9 OTTers and 1 bonus; only know π to 5 decimal places...)

@HES, yappo
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
HES wrote:And as a bonus for those struggling to get something done:

Aha, thankyou! NOW I'll do it.

I need one of those!

@two dragons and SBN
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Oh, and ChronosDragon:
What of it? Are you saying my mathematical trivia are irrelevant because of modern convenience of information, that you suspect my explanation of word length is information processed from wikipedia, or that wikipedia is an example of a use of higher-word-size processors? Or none of the above?

Or maybe, "Happy 1024!" ?

Interesting that he was talking about powers of 2 on his 1024th post.

@yappo, Valarya - kilobytes
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:-snip-
The significance of the number 1024 is mostly a computer thing. While it is related to binary, that doesn't make it a mathsy thing... hence azule's "FTFY" comment. See, there are actually 1,024 bytes in a kilobyte. Not 1,000. (1024KB in 1 MB. 1024MBs in 1 GB, etc etc) So hard drives and memory are measured in powers of 2 thus making 1024 a computery number. I probably did a terrible job at explaining that but there you go. :P

Oh, ok! Thanks. I never knew that. I naturally presumed a kilobyte was 1000. Because, y'know, it's called a kilobyte... Good to know!

OfficiallyI, a kilobyte is 1000 bytes, while a "kibibyte" is 1024 bytes. I hardly ever meet someone who actually uses the word "kibibyte", though (in fact it's red-underlined in this reply box); most people (including myself) just say kilobyte no matter which we mean.

I According to Wikipedia.

@Jose - aliens
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:Does the government think we're aliens?!
Doens't everyone? (I am now noticing the screen name of the person I'm quoting. Oh the irony!)

Hmm? I'm not an alien. I'm an Earthling living on Mars. Now, my neighbors are all little green men, but they don't follow the OTT.

@Jose - titles
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:BlitzGirl Primordial. Sounds much better than "Zeroeth". Also applies to RobIrr.
Now that's a cool title! BlitzGirl the Primordial. But should it apply Outside the One True Thread? Does such a thing as "Outside Threads" even exist? I suppose there are some wacky religions that give credence to such "Outside Threads", but we must be very careful; this inevitably leads to to heretical beliefs such as the Daystar and "real life". We cannot allow ourselves to be taken down that path, for there lies madness!

Hmm, yes, we do have to consider that. The Outside Threads are surely just my mind playing tricks on me.

@Flado - ergman's prediction
Spoiler:
Flado wrote:
---snip---

Oh my...

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

*Pokes head up from the basement, looks around*
Wow, things still going on over here :wink:
*ducks back*
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

*Head whips around to look at basement door*
Did y'all just see something pop up over there?
*sends a molpy over to investigate*
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:If you'd told 18-year-old me he'd be socially normal in a few years he'd never believe you :P. I'm not totally normal yet, I've never had a girlfriend, or even been on a date, or even kissed a girl... not deliberately, not because I "don't feel ready" or whatever, but just because I'm so shy (more like terrified) when it comes to letting someone know I'm attracted to them. And I've just generally never had any luck in the romance department.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. Same sort of situation over here, bad luck with the opposite gender. *shrug* I figure it'll get better eventually, and I'm not in any hurry.

Ah well, who needs relationships when you have OTTers, huh? Image
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:<snip> Besides I don't fancy having to explain it to people. Because they'll inevitably ask. No, I'm definitely writing new, serious*, non-OTTish, no-explanation-needed lyrics (and it needs a proper title too) before it goes public.

*Serious in power metal terms anyway, so not SUPER serious. But still more serious than "ch*rping m*stard…"

So...would that be a deottification? :P

That is exactly what it would be :P
azule wrote:As a musician, I don't think you have to be that open, as some very talented musicians are completely closeted and such. If I ever broke out of my non-music making funk, that would probably be me; except for the soul baring lyrics. :)

Well of course I don't have to, but I want to. I always love it when a musician I like keeps a twitter or facebook page and stays in touch with their fans, and if in the future I'm ever lucky enough to have fans I'd want to keep in touch with them too.

Oh, treeish! I always wondered where that came from!

Now... I never did Ebonite's wordsearch, because I'm always so slow at wordsearches and I thought "ahh there's no point, everyone else will finish it before me" but now I really want to know what the hidden present present is, so I'm gonna give it a go :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

@42 guests: Hi! Nice to see you lurking about!
@lmjb1964: Best wishes for your sister, I hope the cancer is all gone! Ch*rping cancer.
@the-rob-who-shall-not-be-named: He's right, it's not quite schizo-blitzing, but receiving reports from the Present does add a new dimension to a blitz. Robblitzing?
@yappo: You have OTTer fans already, so I"m sure Outside fans will be along shortly!

Sciscitor wrote:I came up with a scheme where the user registers at the Database site and then gets a random key xe has to paste into a post (as a footnote or ETA whatever) and then tell the Database the post number. The Database then looks up if the user has actually posted the key and therefore confirms the users identity.
It would be some programming and I am not sure if there is really interest in such a feature, though the Database could act as a kind of a clearing house for other projects, once it is in place.
The alternative (if not many OTTers are interested in such a feature) would simply be to send me a PM and I would do the registration manually.

Treeish idea! I'm interested in registering either way. :)

ggh wrote:While I'd agree that it's not good form to, say, talk about the texture of your mustard while someone is eating...

Ewww... Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:<snip> Besides I don't fancy having to explain it to people. Because they'll inevitably ask. No, I'm definitely writing new, serious*, non-OTTish, no-explanation-needed lyrics (and it needs a proper title too) before it goes public.

*Serious in power metal terms anyway, so not SUPER serious. But still more serious than "ch*rping m*stard…"

So...would that be a deottification? :P

You should leave in a ch*rping m*stard somewhere though, just for us OTTers.

BlitzGirl wrote:*Head whips around to look at basement door*

No wonder it's so slow here, the molpies are confused. The basement is to keep OTTers from leaving, not to keep them from coming back. They're shy when they delurk, you have to lure them in with treats. Like this:
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

I'm not sure what BlitzGirl is doing over in 1262: "Unquote", either proselytizing, or she's bored and amusing herself:
BlitzGirl wrote:
gmalivuk wrote: Even if you're too unimaginative to think of the many reasons we might no longer know Star Wars quotes in a couple centuries, it would take a very special kind of stagnation for it to remain in the popular consciousness ten or twenty or a hundred millennia from now.

ImageImageImage.ImageImage = "May the Force be with you."

'Bored' explains why I was there: my work network is down and so is my productivity.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Yep, I was bored, so I molpied on over there. Before Time began, I molped about the OtherThreads quite often.
I had to resist the urge to declare myself Mome of that Otherthread page...

SBN wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:*Head whips around to look at basement door*

No wonder it's so slow here, the molpies are confused. The basement is to keep OTTers from leaving, not to keep them from coming back. They're shy when they delurk, you have to lure them in with treats. Like this:
Spoiler:

Ah, good point.

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I also don't understand why everyone is obsessed with River Tam (Summer Glau). Kayley is a much better character and way more attractive.
Right on! (Though some may consider that heresy, it's ok, I'm a Pope. :) )

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote: So...would that be a deottification? :P
You do know the one about the person who opened up Beethoven's grave and found him busily erasing all the notes on his score... he said he was
[connection lost]
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:<snip>
Ah, good point.

Spoiler:

BlitzGirl, are you starting to get over your aversion to puns? Or did you not realize that you posted an image of an otter pop?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Otter popsicle =/= Otter Pop
(One has a stick.) :wink:

That said, both are delicious. :)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote: So...would that be a deottification? :P
You do know the one about the person who opened up Beethoven's grave and found him busily erasing all the notes on his score... he said he was
[connection lost]

Image Indeed.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Here OTTer OTTer OTTer:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

One of these tasty treats is sure to lure in some OTTers!

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yep, I was bored, so I molpied on over there. Before Time began, I molped about the OtherThreads quite often.
I had to resist the urge to declare myself Mome of that Otherthread page...

I'm having a smile imagining their reaction to Beanish.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”