1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Silly department!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:43 am UTC

I'll check the javascripts.

Decree: share your progress in any game you want to talk about.

ETA my sand per click seems too high. Maybe I slipped a zero in somewhere?
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:47 am UTC

I've gotten two different "The Department of Redundancy Department has produced:" notifications all by themselves when clicking redundakitties.
I have to say, I'm loving all the redundakitty-RELATED tidbits in Sandcastle Builder! Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:47 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Corinne: I am fine, since you ask, hunting for some molpies...

:shock: *cuddles molpies close* My molpies! Not snake food!

Corinne: Molpies.... *makes attempt at them*

TheMinim: No! *holds Corinne back*

Corinne: Awww, but -

TheMinim: No buts - you can't have those molpies, and that's final.

Corinne: Oh. Pleasssssssssssssssse?

TheMinim: No. Have a grapevine.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
My madspace
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Eternal Density

I am a silly facebug

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:52 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I've gotten two different "The Department of Redundancy Department has produced:" notifications all by themselves when clicking redundakitties.
I have to say, I'm loving all the redundakitty-RELATED tidbits in Sandcastle Builder! Image
I don't remember testing that code... Oops.

ETA hey github does have a web hosting thing!
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:53 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Phew. Thanks, Minim. My molpies are grateful!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Installing github on my laptop

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:00 am UTC

Just noticed that the hosted font folder got renamed. Fixed now.

Also github has lots of kitties.

ETA oh, bigger buckets was doubling helpful hands and such. Fixed that, now to fix the department...
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:07 am UTC

rONG:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Well. That was dumb.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:16 am UTC

Uh, so the function called GLRschoice was missing the word 'return'. Yeah. I also missed a .length. This was never really tested! I am ashamed and should give back my job title.

Neil_Boekend

Re: Silly department!

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:20 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Decree: share your progress in any game you want to talk about.

I was playing Worms 2: Armageddon during my break and my aim has progressed a lot during that. I hadn't played it in years up to yesterday evening.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Eternal Density

Whew!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:35 am UTC

The fix is up! 0.923, now with working department, grapevine that does something, and bigger buckets that don't double all the extra click sand from other boosts.

Oh and 0.9231 because I did something stupid. Or forgot to undo something.
Also I got distracted fixing stuff and forgot to click on my phone. There goes my ninja stealth!

Eternal Density

Making sure you update!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:48 am UTC

0.924 is live.I added a badge.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

azule wrote:
SBN wrote:I probably should put out more comments on contributions, I sort of got out of the habit when things were moving so fast, and haven't ramped up again. Anyway, not asking, but also not withholding permission.
Before I proceed I will say that is what happened to me, too, a bit. I left many comments for others to make (Present dwellers) and even though I'm back in the Present I see a few comments and let them speak for me, where really I'm close enough that I can comment, too. I'm trying to comment more...

So, SBN (hmm, I never did learn your name (hope I didn't miss it)), you're obviously a loving mother, so much so that we're basically your kids, too. You are somewhat reserved but are adamant about helping people maintain their level of enjoyment. Seems you have issue with things that are actually an issue as opposed to bogging things down with pedantry.

Nope, name is one of the things never been revealed. Good job on the gender though. Pedantry is one of the things I fight against, in myself. Funny story. Back in the day, my husband and I were building a sandbox for the kids. We had different ideas for how the wood should be cut, to reduce waste. I accused him of being stubborn, he said I was just as stubborn. I responded, "Yeah, but I'm stubborn when I'm right, and you're stubborn when you're wrong!" Never have lived that one down, but it is also a very true statement for both of us. He has a hard time admitting he's wrong, and I can hold on to being right way beyond reasonableness. For the record, my way of cutting the wood would have saved 2 inches. So, yeah, I was right, but clearly not worth fighting about. Since then, I do make a point to think about how much being right really matters, and let go on the things where it doesn't. And yeah, I'll try not to parent the OTTers too much. But CD better keep up on his studies. Kidding, everything I've seen indicates you've got things well in hand, at least for this phase. I do hope you're getting enough challenge to prepare you for college though. That transition can be a tough one for those who found high school easy.
Eternal Density wrote:Sandcastle Builder sneak peak:
Spoiler:
I'm coding up a boost called Affordable Swedish Home Furniture. Yes.

ETA suddenly price no longer looks like a real word

Shouldn't that be "Swedish Affordable Furniture, Etc."?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Eternal Density

Molpy.IKEA

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Sandcastle Builder sneak peak:
Spoiler:
I'm coding up a boost called Affordable Swedish Home Furniture. Yes.

ETA suddenly price no longer looks like a real word

Shouldn't that be "Swedish Affordable Furniture, Etc."?
If folks think that's funnier, it's easy to change. Easier than any other name since because it's so long I put it in a variable. As I probably ought to do more.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

I like the new badge. I never got a chance to experience the newpix-duration-change live, so experiencing it via the game was really something. Faint echos of what the Old Ones must have felt, way back in the mid-100s NPs.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

Blindpost from 2 NPs back. I was going through my desk drawer this morning and I found a quote I used to have plastered on my wall in sticky-notes (they stopped being sticky long ago). It's such a great quote and reminded me of you guys.

"Life has a way of stripping away the
non-essentials one year at a time
until we're left with our real selves,
unashamed before the world,
refined by experience,
shaped by the things we've learned
and the passions we've pursued.
And finally, we know what we know,
and we love what we love,
and we still have this precious thing called time.
And it's enough.
It's more than enough."
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Papal decree: I feel like the cookie game is going so slowly now that I'm just saving up for time machines. Also because I can't get the automatic golden cookie clicker script to run. But lately I've had several overnights where it died during the night for various reasons (auto restart, power outages), so that also set me back. I have 93 time machines now and 100 of everything else except 200 cursors. I'm up to 552MCps. I can't start the sandcastle game until I'm done with the cookies, whenever that will be.

In Freecell I'm up to 1193 wins in a row. My prodigious freecell playing has been cut into recently quite a bit by the cookie game, and the OTT, too.

When I saw my avatar included in those images by yappo (for his 1000th) and others, I felt so happy to be included, as though I'm a real otter now! Thanks, guys!

Updated the wiki glossary a bit today. What does wingish mean, by the way? I skipped some NP and must have missed it.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:Updated the wiki glossary a bit today. What does wingish mean, by the way? I skipped some NP and must have missed it.
It's never been canonically defined in the sense that "the tree is neat" but it refers to (or at least evokes) Megan's comment upon seeing the wings of a beesnake that you could live a thousand lifetimes and still be amazed that there were things as beautiful as these. So, wingish is akin to "exquisitely beautiful".

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

jovialbard

Re: Silly department!

Postby jovialbard » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Decree: share your progress in any game you want to talk about.

c**kies:
Spoiler:
I'm also up to 500MCpS but I decided to cheat :) I also learned something new, if you reset your game with a lot of cookies you get Heavenly Chips, each Heavenly Chip boosts your cookie output by an additional 5%, I have 8 Heavenly Chips for a 40% boost in cookies! It might even be logically better to start over at some point and get the HCs rather than keep going at a snails pace getting uber expensive time machines and trying to get the most expensive tier of cookie upgrades. I haven't done the math though.

skyrim:
Spoiler:
I'm also up to level 54 with Skyrim. With max smithing, enchantment, and stealth I can 1 shot anything (including ancient dragons) with my best bow. This also means I barely get any xp in my bow since it's the number of attacks and the base damage that matters, which doesn't include fully drawn shots, sneak attacks, or smithing and enchantment bonuses. So I've stopped sneaking and made a bow without smithing and without damaging enchantments. The game is slightly less boring now, though I do have over 500 HP and nearly maxed armor, so I'm never really in danger of death.

other:
Spoiler:
Really looking forward to playing Europa Universalis 4 and Rome II: Total War at some point. I logged over 500 hours on EU3 though... so maybe that's not a good idea with a baby on the way, taking classes, working full time, wanting to continue writing, etc. etc.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

@Eternal Density

I don't suppose you could add a way to view past notifications, could you? Maybe only notifications for, say, the current ONG? Just to not make it so cluttered, maybe don't include the "Saved" notifications. If not, no biggie, but I often am only able to read half of the notification before it disappears. You don't even need to keep the notifications once the browser closes, or on a refresh. Just a small textbox with a scrollbar or something that contains that gets every non-save notification added/appended to the end. Closing the window, refreshing, or an ONG would clear the value.
Last edited by Whizbang on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Febrion

Re: Sandcastle Builder

Postby Febrion » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

So I've been playing with the builder (didn't take long to get hooked), is there any documentation for it? Or is this something we're supposed to figure out as we go on? Mainly just trying to work out what the castle tools do, how they work exactly. (i.e., what does newpixbot do, how do you ninja vs not ninja, why would you spend 14 castles on a trebuchet that then gives you a 2 castle profit, for a net loss of 12?)

I'm tempted to just read the source, but don't want to spoil any other surprises if I can help it
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

BlindPosting from 702
Cheered by Sigcouragement from AluisioASG, Earthling on Mars and TheMinim.

I've followed the OTT references, read/watched/heard the links, played the games.

I did not reach the end of the 10 hour YouTube song.

I spent far too long on GeoGuessr

All the Poetry! Miller Williams, The Shrinking Lonesome Sestina

My respect and admiration for all posters rise ever higher.

I've made it to 702/1465
I shall reach the end.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

Valarya

Re: Chronogram from mrob27

Postby Valarya » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

ergman wrote:...but what ever happened to:
-Beanish! Was it confirmed impossible? Or are there straws to clutch at?
-Tarots! I have one, Buffy has one... but that's about it. And what about the OTC arcana? I wanna make dose!

I've brought up deciphering Beanish several times since T** E** of Time. But it seems to have just... fallen off the shelf. I don't have the brain-power to work on it but I desperately want people smarter than me to do it. Haha :D

It'd also be great to have more Tarot cards! Those were neat! Don't forget the OTVO project will happen at some point in the future as well. That's something to look forward to.

As for the direction the thread has taken, I don't mind it. I'm not the type of person to sit around and pine over what was, or miss 'the old days.' I adapt, and I like our thread just as much as I always have. More so, if I'm being totally honest. <3 you xuys

mrob27 wrote:Just a brief note to answer this query by @Valarya:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:
Valarya wrote:I was looking for the OTTercomifications of Othercomic #606 and, looking at the OTTercomics page, I only see the one Azule did. I know there were more! Help.
I believe that was mrob in his retrOTTification. :)

Yes, the other 606 is mine, and I posted it here on newpage 1440, and here's the strip:
LATEST NEWPAGE

It's designed to be spoiler-free for any blitzer who has reached at least newpage 116 (that's the "retro" part of "retrOTTification" :) .)

Ahhh, thanks much!! I went ahead and added it to the wiki page as well. 8-)

side note about wiki editing: I've edited the wiki so many times before and never had to 'log in' to do it. But this time it made me register AND THERE ARE BADGES TO BE HAD!! All those wiki edits not counting towards badges. Ugh. :P Everything is a game, isn't it? And that's a nice segue for the pape pope:

Game stuff:
Spoiler:
I was still playing C**kies, but my work blocked it and that's where my game was saved. I don't feel like starting it over at home. Also... a TimeWaiter I might be, but I need lessons in patience because I just can't get the sandcastle game started. That's doubly frustrating because it's all anyone is talking about anymore.

Other games: Playing a bit of FFXIV here and there but this gamer just can't get motivated to game lately. I dunno what's wrong with me. Maybe I just need BF4 to land and I'll be game-happy again. Did this all sound sullen? Haha!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I've brought up deciphering Beanish several times since T** E** of Time. But it seems to have just... fallen off the shelf.
I'm not convinced there's enough of a sample to do much more with, and with no more samples forthcoming, maybe we should invent it ourselves. :)
Valarya wrote:It'd also be great to have more Tarot cards! Those were neat!
Yes, I really like them too.
Valarya wrote:All those wiki edits not counting towards badges. Ugh.
The wiki gives out steambottles for editing? How appetizing!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

Papal decree: finally last night I got around to finishing the main quest in Skyrim... after that I followed the Companions quests for a little bit and became a werewolf. Not sure what to do now.

Anyway, it's that time of day again... :)
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Valarya wrote:I've brought up deciphering Beanish several times since T** E** of Time. But it seems to have just... fallen off the shelf.
I'm not convinced there's enough of a sample to do much more with, and with no more samples forthcoming, maybe we should invent it ourselves. :)

I'm convinced for two reasons.

1. In GLR's blag post about Time, he states:
Great Lord Randall wrote:Time was a bigger project than I planned. All told, I drew 3,099 panels. I animated a starfield, pored over maps and research papers, talked with biologists and botanists, and created a plausible future language for readers to try to decode.

Do we read this as 'decoding Beanish is possible!'? Or that it's vague enough so we can make an attempt, but not be successful? I'm of the belief that it means we've been given enough to decode... but I'm probably alone in that.

2. In the WIRED article where the GLR speaks to certain points of his creation of Time, this odd little exchange happens:
GLR and Wired wrote:[...]despite the efforts of “Time” superfans, no one has been able to decode the language, which Munroe finds fitting since “we haven’t cracked Linear A, either!”

Once again this makes me feel like it can be decoded, but that it's going to be really fucking difficult. It fits with how cryptic and brilliant the GLR has shown himself to be in so many other aspects.

Then again, maybe I'm just too optimistic/hopeful. ;)

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

skyrim talk:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:Papal decree: finally last night I got around to finishing the main quest in Skyrim... after that I followed the Companions quests for a little bit and became a werewolf. Not sure what to do now.

You quickly complete all the quests and cure it so that you can go back to sleeping restfully again, and so that your soul only belongs to like 5 other daedra and not Hircine as well... won't it be funny when your character dies and all those daedra have to sort out custody rights. I'm saving the main quest for last. My order was Thieves -> Brotherhood -> Companions, I'm going to wander about a bit and maybe work off my huge quest list then do Mages -> Main.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

It would be awesomeful to decipher Beanish, but I don't have the skills to do it. And now that Time is over, Outsiders have less incentive to try - it's mostly just the regular OTTers and lurkers left around here who would like to see it happen.

Tatiana wrote:When I saw my avatar included in those images by yappo (for his 1000th) and others, I felt so happy to be included, as though I'm a real otter now! Thanks, guys!
Silly molpy, you are a real OTTer! Image

On c**kies:
Spoiler:
1.3 billion C**kies per second, 1.5 quadrillion c**kies in the bank, over 100 of everything (plus 165 grandmas and 200 cursors).
Since there's nothing else for me to do in the game, I just leave it on in the background. I didn't know about Heavenly Chips, which kind of want to make me reset if the benefits are treeish enough.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
ucim wrote:

I'm convinced for two reasons.

1. In GLR's blag post about Time, he states:
Great Lord Randall wrote:Time was a bigger project than I planned. All told, I drew 3,099 panels. I animated a starfield, pored over maps and research papers, talked with biologists and botanists, and created a plausible future language for readers to try to decode.

Do we read this as 'decoding Beanish is possible!'? Or that it's vague enough so we can make an attempt, but not be successful? I'm of the belief that it means we've been given enough to decode... but I'm probably alone in that.

2. In the WIRED article where the GLR speaks to certain points of his creation of Time, this odd little exchange happens:
GLR and Wired wrote:[...]despite the efforts of “Time” superfans, no one has been able to decode the language, which Munroe finds fitting since “we haven’t cracked Linear A, either!”

Once again this makes me feel like it can be decoded, but that it's going to be really fucking difficult. It fits with how cryptic and brilliant the GLR has shown himself to be in so many other aspects.

Then again, maybe I'm just too optimistic/hopeful. ;)

Also, the huge advantage we have over Linear A is very clear context; whenever the language is spoken, we actually know what is going on and what they are probably saying.

I've not really been following the attempts to decode the language, but I'm pretty sure it would be possible, and in fact, really not too hard for the most part.

Having said that, I think it is likely that the sample is too small to completely decode it. The topics discussed will have been fairly specific so there won't be all that much in terms of vocabulary to go on and there is a chance that there are some symbols in the language that did not yet make an appearance. At a wild guess I'd say we ought to be able to decode at least 80% of the vocab they have used and extract a significant set of grammar rules at play.

[Disclaimer] I am anything but an expert on languages other than what I have learned through my career and interests in Computer Science and programming languages. Feel free to completely rebuke everything I just said. :P [/Disclaimer]
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

yappobiscuits

Molpity up!

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:What kind of person sleeps listening to the Lincolnshire Poacher?

I can't answer that. But, in yet another "It's all related" moment, I encountered that piece of music for the first time yesterday, after trying to find out something about a piece called "St Thomas" which I was listening to in a 4-part a capella version.

Re-lurks.

Except I don't think Aluisio's referring to the actual traditional, pleasant, not-at-all-creepy English folk tune, but rather the very-creepy-indeed but also really rather cool numbers station.
azule wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Maybe I'm late to the party but my permission is given too... after what I talked about in that seaish spoilered section earlier it'd be interesting to know how people actually see me...
I think you've actually established most of the impression I could give you, yourself, Owen. Such as saying you're shy when not on stage or on the forum. Or no-holds barred when it comes to creativity. I believe you. What I can add is: you are very nice and thoughtful. This may cause you to adhere to social norms that actually prevent further enjoyment. Another way to say it is that you're treating the other half of your life (shy) different than your rock star persona...where I think your rock star persona is the realisher you. Free your spirit and the rest will follow. :)

Thanks Image, I was beginning to think nobody noticed that. I'd say you're about right, although I actually try hard not to adhere to social norms because that does indeed prevent further enjoyment for me. I'm definitely rather quirky and eccentric on the outside - maybe that doesn't come across so much here because this community is quirky and eccentric in itself :P. Only problem is, quirky weirdness combined with shy quietness tends to come across as creepy, which is part of the reason I was so outcast in school. However now that I've gotten mostly over the shyness, creepiness doesn't seem to be a problem any more and people (well, the right sort of people) tend to like me for who I am now, so yay. :) And I do try to be nice and thoughtful, in that I try to avoid pedantry and cynicism as much as possible, focusing on positives and optimism. But that doesn't mean I don't care about things that actually matter - like what you said about SBN, I only "have issue with things that are actually an issue as opposed to bogging things down with pedantry."

And you're probably right about the last bit. Maybe if/when my career advances a bit more and I become better known, that will come in time.
TheMinim wrote:Normal life pre-Time: Go to school, do work, mess about on internet, think about other humans, sleep, eat, drink, etc.

Normal life during Time: Go to school while wanting to catch up with Time, avoid homework as much as possible, follow Time and the thread like a beacon in a storm, think about Cuegan and Castles and Cancercoffeesemenbacononice, hate having to coma, eat quickly, drink caffeine, and be distracted from everything every newpix.

Normal life after Time: Cry, become more competent with homework than ever before, cry, coma, cry, talk about Time, cry, growl at Time's end, cry, enjoy OTTifications, cry, contribute less to the Thread, cry, want to do something awesome.

Normal life pre-Time: Mess about on internet, work on various musical projects to show to the world (or for commissions), eat, drink, sleep etc.

Normal life during Time: Mess about in the OTT, work on various musical projects for the OTT (ignoring all outside projects I really should be doing), occasionally remembering to eat, drink, sleep etc. and of course, wait for it.

Normal life after Time: No different to the above, except no longer waiting for it.

Heretical game that shall not be named:
Spoiler:
859MCps. Still haven't got that one last achievment yet (100 time machines), currently at 91. I have enough to buy one now but I'm actually saving up for the macaroons instead. I've already got the snickerdoodles and stroopwafels, and once I get the macaroons I'll be able to unlock all the British biscuits!

Valarya wrote:Blindpost from 2 NPs back. I was going through my desk drawer this morning and I found a quote I used to have plastered on my wall in sticky-notes (they stopped being sticky long ago). It's such a great quote and reminded me of you guys.
Spoiler:

"Life has a way of stripping away the
non-essentials one year at a time
until we're left with our real selves,
unashamed before the world,
refined by experience,
shaped by the things we've learned
and the passions we've pursued.
And finally, we know what we know,
and we love what we love,
and we still have this precious thing called time.
And it's enough.
It's more than enough."

Lovely, thanks for sharing!
Tatiana wrote:When I saw my avatar included in those images by yappo (for his 1000th) and others, I felt so happy to be included, as though I'm a real otter now! Thanks, guys!
Of course you're a real OTTer! You've been around longer than I have according to your join date :P. And I distinctly remember we both got buffyhatted at the same time! :)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:<snip>Having said that, I think it is likely that the sample is too small to completely decode it.<snip>

That pretty much sums it up.

We can make guesses. We can understand intents. But even in living well known languages it's often hard to translate. Rarely do two words have exactly the same meaning in two languages unless they come from the same exact thing (e.g. Computer and Computadora). Depending on context you may choose to use a different word that has a slightly different contextual meaning in the other language. So even if we know the beanish word that captures the intent of "Hi" we still have no idea what that word really means. What other contexts can it be used in? Does it have alternative meanings? Are there situations where that beanish word would be inappropriate but "Hi" would be perfectly appropriate? We don't have enough context to answer any of those questions. At best we can analyse intent. Unless it's a perfect transliteration of an existing language, which current research seems to suggest it isn't. I could be mistaken on that, since I wasn't really paying attention that closely, but when he said a linguist was called in to help construct the thing, I pretty much gave up on the idea that it's a transliteration, you don't need a linguist to develop a transliteration.
Last edited by jovialbard on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Anyway, it's that time of day again...
Love the coloring - it's an especially wingish panel!

Valarya wrote:I'm convinced for two reasons...
I'm sure the language could be decoded, if we had enough to work with. I'm not sure we have enough to work with. I suspect we don't, really.

yappobiscuts wrote:And you're probably right about the last bit. Maybe if/when my career advances a bit more and I become better known, that will come in time.
... and we can say "I knew yappo way back when!"

Jose

waveney

Postby waveney » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

I think getting much further with beanish is possible but extreemely hard. There has not been any movement on the site dedicated to it for quite a while - which is sad.

In C***ies I am at 1.6GCps, with all achievements, updates and currently have 117 Time machines and 1,430 buldings in total - running in background now - unless there is something more interesting to do in it I will probably not start it again tomorrow.

In Castles at NewPix 164: 4,508 sand/mNP, 7 rivers, 8 waves, 6 scaffold, 12 trebuchets 4 ladders, 6 flags, all boosts todate (some are probably unusable - one definately is). In bank 18,000 castles (saving for 8th river)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I think many many pages ago I too-circumspctly gave permission for folks to say stuff on what they think about me (I think I just used the word 'seconded' with some alliterative) so I'll re-give it now.
Yeah, I think I saw that. Whoops. ED...you're not a girl. lol. I finally figured that out..which I guess means you didn't leave the impression that you're totally and only a guy. lol, again..sorry. But more seriously, you seem to be young, but seeing the game, skilled. You seem stuck in whatever obsession you're obsessed with at the moment even at the detriment of your usual sense of humor. If not obsessed, you seem to have a good but biting humor. Though, maybe I mean subtle, but could be obvious, humor.

Valarya wrote:Then again, maybe I'm just too optimistic/hopeful. ;)
If you, and others, weren't, I probably wouldn't have a twinkle of hope. Please continue to counteract my pessimism/apathy. lol.

yappobiscuits wrote:I'm definitely rather quirky and eccentric on the outside - maybe that doesn't come across so much here because this community is quirky and eccentric in itself :P
Hmm, good point. I don't think I'd characterize anyone here that way. I barely think quirky exists in the Outside, and definitely not here. It's who we are. It's like if I mentioned in each of my reports that you were all obsessed with Time....haha.

TheMinim wrote:Normal life pre-Time: <snip normal/>

Normal life during Time: <snip obsess/>

Normal life after Time: <snip cry/>
Too sad. :( *pats Minim* You'll move on. Time was a jerk anyways. :evil:

;)

*smacks self for not being too serious*

[yappo inspired follow up]
Normal life pre-Time: Obsessing over xkcd comics + other comics + PKMN. Not focusing on the right things, like housework, etc.

Normal life during Time: Obsessing over xkcd comic Time only + the OTT + making odetities. Not focusing on the right things, like housework, etc.

Normal life after Time: Obsessing over the OTT + making odetities. Not focusing on the right things, like housework, etc.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
- < O > -

And now comes the Time that I must admit, I feel an emptiness within. I have dwelled in the comfort of the now-when for long enough to get a sense of all the depth and diversity of the culture within the One True Thread. But I realize it is now time for me to journey into the Past, and begin the longblitz back to the present. When we meet again, all will be many nopix into our collective future in the Time After Time.
And with that, I must depart on my great Quest, to partake fully of the One True Thread, experience Time in its own time, and, as nearly as is still possible, Wait For It. My stick-of-many-thwackings is as sharp as my wits (just in case) and I've plenty of great signposts to look forward to. I will having-been seen you abeen in the yesterpix, but we shall meet again!

Good luck on your quest mrob27!

AluisioASG wrote:chirpingmustard.com has been ordered. Activation should be completed shortly.
Please send requests to chirpingmustard at me dot aasg dot name with the following information:
  • desired username
  • address to which forward emails to (from username@chirpingmustard.com)
  • (optional) DNS records to be setup at username.chirpingmustard.com
Also please state if you'd be willing to donate a small amount (>= $1.00/year) in order to support the service.

Ooh! I wish I had been in the present when the voting happened, but I probably would have voted for chirpingmustard.com anyway.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Somewhat seaish ketchup post here. Hm, where did I put that ketchup gif I made and the yappo looped for me? I think it's on my other computer. Anyway, I saved a bunch of stuff during my ketchup yesterday but never had time to post, so here's two dips worth:

Kieryn, thanks for that image of the pixel-amount in each frame. I also thought it was another panorama. Kinda looked like sandcastles at the end.

azule wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:Thanks for explaining! I think it was the missing Beanie on "Megan"'s head that confused me.
This version is for you:
Spoiler:

Much better! Though I see she didn't wear her beanie into the club. :)

DrSamCarter wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:What kind of person sleeps listening to the Lincolnshire Poacher?

I can't answer that. But, in yet another "It's all related" moment, I encountered that piece of music for the first time yesterday, after trying to find out something about a piece called "St Thomas" which I was listening to in a 4-part a capella version.
Re-lurks.

Hi, DrSamCarter! Good to see you! And I listened to that Lincolnshire Poacher link that..someone linked to. I never heard of a numbers station before. Weird, and creepy. Aluisio, is that what you were referring to? If so, I guess the answer would be "a spy."

Eternal Density wrote:I think many many pages ago I too-circumspectly gave permission for folks to say stuff on what they think about me (I think I just used the word 'seconded' with some alliterative) so I'll re-give it now.

Let's see. You're very creative, obviously, and generous with your time and creativity. (BTW, maybe you should put a donate link on your game. You've been doing a lot of work.) You have a wicked sense of humor. :D You seem to be very open to suggestions from other, which suggests a flexibility and openness of spirit. You are a dedicated worker, at least when something is important to you. Hmm, I don't know what else. I'm not as good at this as azule.

Has anyone done azule yet? azule, you seem like a people person. I think you said you tend to be shy, so maybe you aren't outgoing, but you really pay attention to, and care about, others. (or OTTers.) You have a great and sometimes sneaky sense of humor. You seem to be pretty easy-going, though you can get riled up about things that are important to you, and are a little sensitive. :) In general, I picture you sort of like your avatar; laughing and cuddly.

OK, that's all the psychology I can handle at the moment.

Fun stuff from The Minim:
Spoiler:
TheMinim wrote:Normal life pre-Time: Go to school, do work, mess about on internet, think about other humans, sleep, eat, drink, etc.

Normal life during Time: Go to school while wanting to catch up with Time, avoid homework as much as possible, follow Time and the thread like a beacon in a storm, think about Cuegan and Castles and Cancercoffeesemenbacononice, hate having to coma, eat quickly, drink caffeine, and be distracted from everything every newpix.

Normal life after Time: Cry, become more competent with homework than ever before, cry, coma, cry, talk about Time, cry, growl at Time's end, cry, enjoy OTTifications, cry, contribute less to the Thread, cry, want to do something awesome.

TheMinim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Tatiana wrote:Papal decree: I feel like the cookie game is going so slowly now that I'm just saving up for time machines. Also because I can't get the automatic golden cookie clicker script to run. But lately I've had several overnights where it died during the night for various reasons (auto restart, power outages), so that also set me back. I have 93 time machines now and 100 of everything else except 200 cursors. I'm up to 552MCps. I can't start the sandcastle game until I'm done with the cookies, whenever that will be.

In Freecell I'm up to 1193 wins in a row. My prodigious freecell playing has been cut into recently quite a bit by the cookie game, and the OTT, too.

When I saw my avatar included in those images by yappo (for his 1000th) and others, I felt so happy to be included, as though I'm a real otter now! Thanks, guys!

What a silly molpy you are! How on earth, or in Time, could you not think you're a real OTTer? There are a couple of others who have said that at different times, and each time I was shocked because in my mind they were such an established part of the tribe.

Silly wolpy. And Sandcastle Builder is much more fun that C**kies. Just saying. 8-)

Febrion wrote:So I've been playing with the builder (didn't take long to get hooked), is there any documentation for it? Or is this something we're supposed to figure out as we go on? Mainly just trying to work out what the castle tools do, how they work exactly. (i.e., what does newpixbot do, how do you ninja vs not ninja, why would you spend 14 castles on a trebuchet that then gives you a 2 castle profit, for a net loss of 12?)

I'm tempted to just read the source, but don't want to spoil any other surprises if I can help it

I think it's on the Wiki. I am ashamed to say I have spent little time on the Wiki. :oops:

Kieryn wrote:Papal decree: finally last night I got around to finishing the main quest in Skyrim... after that I followed the Companions quests for a little bit and became a werewolf. Not sure what to do now.

Anyway, it's that time of day again... :)

Treeish! The plot thickens...

Speaking of Sandcastle Builder (notes for Val and ED, and anyone who wants to read my thoughts on Castlebuilder.)
Spoiler:
Val, if you can be patient a little longer, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. There are so many cool and treeish things about the game. For one thing, as others have pointed out, it gets you back to waiting for the ONG, which can only be a good thing. For another, each new badge and boost I get makes me smile, if not LOL, because Eternal Density is really funny. I mean, the Ikea boost, for example. :D And it's like he put the OTT in there, you know? Ninjas, newpixbots, redundakitties, and of course the OTC is up and running again in the game. I'm not sure I have all the strategy down with the castle tools, but whatever I'm doing, I keep getting boosts and badges and tools, and they all make me smile. So, I'd suggest just keep it running in the background, go in and click and buy stuff when you can, and I think it'll pay off.

ED, I do have one teeny little request. I switched to the light theme, which I really like, but the "Game Saved" notifications are a little distracting to me. Is it possible to have them maybe start out lighter, or off to the side, or something? Maybe it's just me. But I love that the notifications are in the OTF.

There was other stuff that I didn't comment on, but as always, you guys are just the coolest ever. I still have to do the second and third crossword, and I haven't gotten terribly far on the word search. And I meant to add a verse to "Radio GaGa," and I still need to finish my crossword, and, and...
OK, better get to it. Oh! for the Pope:
Spoiler:
Still playing two games of C**kies, but starting to be over it. Went through the Grandmapocalypse in one game, don't think I'll continue that one. 199.3MCps here, meh. In SandCastle Builder, I finally bought a river; I was so excited I ninja'd myself. :x Ch*rp! 50 sand tools, 33 castle tools, 24 boosts, 32 badges, 18 redundas. (I see they're no longer redacted.)

I also play a silly game called Pocket Frogs on my iPod. I thought I'd stop when I got the last achievement, but I still play sometimes 'cause the frogmolpies are so cute.

Other than that, not much. I've always tried to stay away from games, actually, 'cause my schedule is so hectic I didn't want to get sucked into any. Whoops.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:<snip>
Spoiler:
Febrion wrote:So I've been playing with the builder (didn't take long to get hooked), is there any documentation for it? Or is this something we're supposed to figure out as we go on? Mainly just trying to work out what the castle tools do, how they work exactly. (i.e., what does newpixbot do, how do you ninja vs not ninja, why would you spend 14 castles on a trebuchet that then gives you a 2 castle profit, for a net loss of 12?)

I think it's on the Wiki. I am ashamed to say I have spent little time on the Wiki. :oops:
<snip>

Aha! That was enough to get me going, thanks! :) I'd forgotten about the wiki - it loads rather poorly at work (firewall issues I guess), so I never spent much time there...
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

waveney wrote:I think getting much further with beanish is possible but extreemely hard. There has not been any movement on the site dedicated to it for quite a while - which is sad

I guess my thought is that his comments suggest we should be able to make some progress. I just don't know where our linguists went. :( Has anyone checked the basement?

azule wrote:Normal life pre-Time: Obsessing over xkcd comics + other comics + PKMN. Not focusing on the right things, like housework, etc.

Normal life during Time: Obsessing over xkcd comic Time only + the OTT + making odetities. Not focusing on the right things, like housework, etc.

Normal life after Time: Obsessing over the OTT + making odetities. Not focusing on the right things, like housework, etc.

Normal life pre-Time: Running from one job or gig to another. When I have a chance to sit, being distracted by various things on the internet. Not focusing on the right things, like housework, etc., and usually suffering from lack of coma.

Normal life during Time: Running from one job or gig to another while obsessing over xkcd comic Time only + the OTT + thinking about making odetities but not usually finishing them. Not focusing on the right things, like housework, etc., or finishing my odetities, and suffering from a worse lack of coma.

Normal life after Time: Running from one job or gig to another while obsessing over the OTT + thinking about making odetities but not usually finishing them. Not focusing on the right things, like housework, etc., or finishing my odetities, and giving up all hope of ever catching up on coma.

To Aluisio, you asked if we would be willing to donate a small amount for chirpingmustard.com. I have donated a small amount. But it might be too small an amount. I have no idea how much a domain costs. So, I can give more if necessary, or appropriate.

Re: the game where we are supposed to send you questions and answers about ourselves--am I correct that these questions are about things we've posted or done in the OTT?

taixzo, I meant to say earlier that it's nice to see you again!

Chorus of the collaborative "Radio Gaga." Not great, but the original doesn't have a whole lot in it either, to be honest.
I'd sit alone and read those types
My only friends even in real life
And that one thing that kept us glued?
We'd never thought we're being stewed

I'd come and join- a religion
Or write an ott- ification
But all of this- it would not last
1190- was in the past

But don't become some background noise
You can't forget those posting joys
Come post with me because we care
And spare some thoughts for those not there
We've seen all Time, we've shared its power
We can still build a new sand tower
OTT.

All we have is posts in the OTT
Since there's no OTC
We post in the OTT
All we have are posts in the OTT
OTT, what's new?
OTT, all of us love you!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

After about 18 hours playing C*****s I'm at 116mCps with 1.5trillion in the bank and with Sandcastle Builder I'm on Newpix 131 generating 3684.4s/mNP. I have 4 River, 6 Waves, 4 Scaffolds, 6 Trebuchets and I make 577.4s/click.

I'll keep these running until ARMA III finally finishes downloading and then I'm going to have to devote some time to it. Only 2-3 more hours.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Philip Thomas

Postby Philip Thomas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

I don't think life is normal...
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

The Time school.

Maths: using newpix as a measure of time, learning about various arguments we have on the One True Thread, counting and stuff.

English: Studying Time Literature and exploring male/female/gender-less pronouns. Also Lego vs. Legos as a standard word.

Science: Biology: studying beesnakes, spotting venomous snakes vs harmless ones, defending yourself from raptorcat attacks and why it's not a good idea to drink straight from the sea. Chemistry: Mostly cancercoffeesemonbaconbabiesonice. Physics: Mechanics and things.

History: History of Time, Blitzing.

Geography: Rivers, the sea, and Zanclean floods.

RE: Religions of Time and their differences and similarities.

Citizenship: Just a whole load of pointlessness anyway.

Art: OTTifications of OtherComics and OtherOtherComics, etc.

Music: Molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine, and other OTTified songs!

Drama: T** E** of Time and why it's so sad - re-acting it.

Cooking: Berries and steam bottles.

Languages: Beanish: Decoding Beanish and learning it.

Needlework: Making BAGS!

Woodwork: Making boats. Obviously.

PE: Going to the beach, building castles, and swimming in the sea.

Edit: I forgot I.T! I.T: Castle clicker.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
My madspace
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”