1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

ETA: Image Optional decree: More cakes, and onwards to 3 million views!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Neil_Boekend

Re: ETA: Molpy up - signed, StormAngel

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Ketchup!

Eternal Density wrote:No time to write mutch, but there's lots of room on the stats page for me to show a notification log...

Yes, that would be useful. At this point I add the castle destructions to see if I can afford an upgrade and not mess with my ONG. Quite tedious work. If I were able to see what the destruction was last I could guestimate what it will be the next ONG.

Eternal Density wrote:Okay 0.933: messed with some box sizing.
AluisioASG wrote:What reminds me: your README is mustarded. Look at its GitHub page.
You also need a license.

Fixed the REAMDE but I'm having trouble finding a license since I can't allow commercial use since I based a lot of the code (general structure and a few algorithms) off [url=view-source:http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/]this[/url] which disallows profiting from it.

If I see it correctly that means that the GPL license is probably suitable (no commercial use, else pretty much do whatever you wish with the code). You could ask Orteil if he feels that is ok.

Eternal Density wrote:Actually I could replace it with a page that points back at the 'official' one. And most of the links lately (and in my sig) are to castle.chirpingmustard.com which I'd request be changed to point at github. Assuming that's a good idea.

I'll try to find the first link and edit it. I'll change it to castle.chirpingmustard.com
ETA: It's fixed.

cellocgw wrote:Hi there,
Just lurkposting to announce that Neil B. has been less than forthcoming. He's not dead: he just pretends that so we won't notice that he's busy posting to slashdot.
And how do I know that? Not that I'd ever read /. , no sirree... :oops:

I am dead. I just haven't told the /. crowd. I am not sure how they'd react.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

waveney

Re: ETA: Molpy up - signed, StormAngel

Postby waveney » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Hi there,
Just lurkposting to announce that Neil B. has been less than forthcoming. He's not dead: he just pretends that so we won't notice that he's busy posting to slashdot.
And how do I know that? Not that I'd ever read /. , no sirree... :oops:

I am dead. I just haven't told the /. crowd. I am not sure how they'd react.

/. One tab left of the OTT in the same window on the same browser. The Wiki is 1 tab right. (Castles in a diferent window on other monitor)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

The Castle game needs a chat box so that people can chat while they wait for the next ONG without cluttering the OTT. Also, I haven't had a RedundaKitty in a while.

And to remain somewhat on topic...

Redundant-:
Spoiler:
629 OTTified.png

jovialbard

Re: Silly department!

Postby jovialbard » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

more skyrim:

Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Decree: share your progress in any game you want to talk about.

skyrim:
I'm also up to level 54 with Skyrim. With max smithing, enchantment, and stealth I can 1 shot anything (including ancient dragons) with my best bow. This also means I barely get any xp in my bow since it's the number of attacks and the base damage that matters, which doesn't include fully drawn shots, sneak attacks, or smithing and enchantment bonuses. So I've stopped sneaking and made a bow without smithing and without damaging enchantments. The game is slightly less boring now, though I do have over 500 HP and nearly maxed armor, so I'm never really in danger of death.

I'm at about that point with my main char, a warrior (One-handed + shield) Argonian named Vahloktiid (In the dragon tongue: Guardian of Time) who had a minor in stealth, before update 1.9 came along and added legendary abilities, at which point I reset Stealth to get the perk points back and make the game a little more fun.
My secondary char is a Breton battlemage called Victor who specializes in Destruction magic with a little conjuration and illusion on the side. I'm playing this character more immersively - while my first char just did everything he came across, this one I'm playing as if I were actually him - I came up with a backstory and everything (boring-ish lore-y details below)
Victor grew up in a small village in Cyrodiil with his family, rural craftsmen who secretly practiced magic. One day, when he was a young man, the village was razed to the ground by Thalmor invaders who, filled with a lust for racial purity and an intense desire to stifle magic practice outside of their lands, had detected some of the powerful spells being practiced in the village. Victor alone escaped, and fled north to the more protected lands of Skyrim. He was caught crossing the border and brought to Helgen, where, along with some other prisoners, he was to be executed. The executation was interrupted, however, yada yada skyrim story, but eventually Victor realized he was the Dragonborn. Unsure, he (I at this point) did not pursue this further, opting instead to engage in an education at the College of Winterhold, eventually becoming the Arch-Mage. From there, he began plotting the destruction of the Thalmor - at which point he realized his untapped potential as the carrier of Dragon Blood and decided to investigate what abilities that could grant him.
I'm avoiding selling my soul to any daedra, or indebting myself to any faction leaders - no Dark Brotherhood, thieves guild, companions, etc for me. I'm also trying to stay within the laws of skyrim, though if there's a significant figure I need to assassinate, I won't hesitate.
I'm using several immersion mods such as Scenic Carriages (no fast travel of any kind), immersive HUD, and a mod that lets me get multiple followers, in addition to several (well...93) others. (No huge gameplay changes though! It's all graphical enhancement, gameplay tweaks/balancing, or additional lore-friendly content)

Cool! I tried to be somewhat immersive starting out (maybe not that far, which is awesome). I decided to play up the criminal in Helgen bit and went straight to the thieves guild via whiterun. Took that up until the skeleton key and said "I'm not giving this up", but in the meantime I crossed paths with the brotherhood questline and went to the darkside (that first guy totally deserved it, and I was anti-empire in my early days, though the encounter with the emperor started to change my mind). Once I became master of the Brotherhood I had a change of heart, spent some time living the life of a smith and enchanter, and then went to the companions to redeem myself in battle... who knew they were werewolves??? I've recently cured myself and am now wandering the land with my companion cohort Aela, just exploring and being an adventurer. I made early contact with the wizards of winterhold when I wanted to learn illusion and get muffle to help with the thieves guild and brotherhood (it sucks that invisibility is adept, and the it lasts for one action, lame). I haven't gone back much since, but I'm considering it since I've begun to cast more spells. I'm also leaning more and more toward joining the empire after seeing the racism of the stormcloaks (I'm not a Nord anyway, I'm a Breton). I still haven't come to grips with the fact that I'm the Dragonborn, but as I become more powerful it seems like I destiny I can't ignore forever. I visited the "throat of the world" at some point, but haven't gotten further than that. (I would like to have done the Thieves Guild and Brotherhood before the main quest even started, for RP, but oh well). Also, while I haven't been actively seeking out Daedra quests, they have a way of sneaking up on you. The only one I sought out was Azura's star, early in the game, that was immersion breaking. I also fast travel a lot, and lately have been more focused on completionism than my character's story.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:The Castle game needs a chat box so that people can chat while they wait for the next ONG without cluttering the OTT. Also, I haven't had a RedundaKitty in a while.

As a non-castler (at least so far) I can say I don't consider that it is clutter, and I don't want to see a further dispersion of OTTers.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Whizbang wrote:The Castle game needs a chat box so that people can chat while they wait for the next ONG without cluttering the OTT. Also, I haven't had a RedundaKitty in a while.

As a non-castler (at least so far) I can say I don't consider that it is clutter, and I don't want to see a further dispersion of OTTers.

Seconded. I don't play because if I did I'd probably never do the laundry, etc., but I'm bloody impressed, and I feel like I'm enjoying the game vicariously.

ETA: right, time to coma.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

azule wrote:
pelrigg wrote:I saw your little tiff with the anti-OTTer over in the 1263 thread. Some people....
Good job with that, BlitzGirl. You have a megaton of composure. So interesting, checking on that guy's history, nothing would have indicated he'd be xenophobic. So sad. You're not a real culture until someone discriminates against you. ;)

Yes, that was well dealt with. Kudos, BlitzGirl!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Re: OTTer Smileys!

Postby Flado » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:This is just the first set of 10, so don't worry if you haven't been smileyficated yet, I'm gonna do more! If you want to be included in a future set, just say so :D

SO
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

Blindpost!
lmjb1964 wrote:
patzer wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Oh nice, pope.
Please keep this thread alive.
DO SOMETHING!

Does anyone want a game of Monomolpy?

Hm, I wonder what happened to schwartzbewithyou? He She was doing such a great job with the Monomolpy pieces. :(

(fixed that for you)
Hello everyone! I've missed you much! With a wedding only a couple weeks out, I've had to go to the basement for a while :/ However! I saw motion in the othercomic this morning and immediately rushed to the fora like a well-trained OTTer. I felt like it wasn't fair to post there and not at least stop by for a hello here... I see through my schizo-skim-blitz that there is a Time game?! And also HAPPY 3000 BLITZGIRL!

Molpy out. I hope at some point to return.
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

slinches wrote:I think GLR is trying to challenge our OTTifying skills with the new othercomic. Unfortunately, my experience with animated gifs is nonexistent or I would make an attempt myself. But I know there are some OTTers gif-ted in the art of animated images based on the number of awesomefully animated avatars. I'll leave it in your capable hands until I de-coma. If it's not been ottified by then, I'll have another new skill to learn thanks to the OTT.

Commence gushing over OTT awesomefulness:
Spoiler:
It truly is amazing how much creativity this tribe has inspired. I'm not normally very artistic, but you all have gotten me to rewrite song lyrics, create parody comics and write (silly) poetry. These are all things I never would have attempted without such a welcoming and appreciative audience. I know I haven't shown much appreciation for others' work in my posts (I'm far too stingy with compliments, especially when they are so richly deserved), but know that I've read and enjoyed everything far beyond my capability to express it.

Truly, thank you all for being the people you are. This is the best place on the internet simply because you are here.

I'm taking it as a warning. I promise that I will never let my slides end up like that.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

BlindPosting from 712
Cheered by Sigcouragement from AluisioASG, Earthling on Mars and TheMinim.

Only ten pages this BlitzSession, and four new pages added.
I'm slowing down.
Here's why.

jetpac wrote:By the way, I'd like to say thanks to whoever it was earlier that recommended 1/0. I finished (OtherBlitzed?) the archives over the last few days, and then proceeded to read the author's current comic (Leftoversoup) from the beginning up to present day last night. I think it's fair to say that I'm a fan of Mr. Tailsteak ;)

First recommended by Angelastic.

I read and loved One-Divide-Zero as it was first published and Waited for each new comic. I (Everything is Connected) started re-reading it at about the same time as the OTC's FirstPic appeared but I knew not of more, and it was about four mips before a casual comment on another http://www.jasperfforde.com/phorum/list.php?4 fforum led me to my current Blitz.

I was side-tracked into reading all of LeftOverSoup (Thanks, Angelastic); the time for which was intended to be borrowed from my coma time. However, I've rediscovered a truth I learned more than sixty years ago, and which I can still hear chanted by a classfull of young math students, "When you borrow you must Always Pay Back!"

It's possible that somewhere between now and the future Tailsteak has been further discussed, but just in case, here's his FAQ.

And so to Coma.

I've made it to 712/1468
I shall reach the end.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

EVERYONE STOP THROWING ME MONEY

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

I've just received a single contribution (I won't say from whom, that person can show themself) big enough to renew the domain for two more years. I still have to decide whether to accept it or not.
Anyone interested in a mailbox?

What kind of person spends more time at a website than anywhere else?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Very late ETA: I believe this was my 1024th post. I recently learned that number is important, so... yay I guess :P Pope'd on 1000 and 1024!

Next important number: 1728.
yappobiscuits wrote:Meaning of course, "next number someone with higher geek-cred than yappo is going to have to teach yappo why it's important"...

123 or 1000 in base 12.
Further explanation:
Spoiler:
I'm sort of a dozenalist, someone who thinks we should count in base 12 rather than base 10. However, I am what I call a "pessimistic dozenalist": I think base 12 is more useful than base 10, but I doubt we'll be able to get everybody in the world to switch.

Eternal Density wrote:The next important number is 1190 :P

Oh, good point.

AluisioASG wrote:[i]What kind of person buys a 25-CD pack for backup on this cloud age?[/size]

Someone who doesn't trust other people to keep his files safe.

And happy 2 million views OTT!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Re: stand by

Postby slinches » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:AluisioASG say he'll be redirecting castle.chirpingmustard.com over to http://eternaldensity.github.io/Sandcastle-Builder/ after a coma, so I expect he'll let you know ahead of time.
Don't use the other github link.
<snip>

Yay! The github.io link isn't blocked by my work webfilter. Image

I tried to play a bit on my tablet at home, but I spend only a limited amount of time online away from work and the double tap to zoom kept getting in the way of clicking. Now I might have a chance to keep up with the rest of you all. (Newpix 7, 2.8 sand/mNP)

And I'd like to thank Taixzo for making quick work of OTTifying (or rather, OTCifying) xkcd/1264. I think we all now know the best way to view a series of images online: revealed on a newpixly basis and reviewable on several custom made slideshow viewers. :D

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Flado wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:This is just the first set of 10, so don't worry if you haven't been smileyficated yet, I'm gonna do more! If you want to be included in a future set, just say so :D

SO

YOUR "SO" HAS BEEN TAKEN NOTE OF.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mikrit

Re: All about mrob (and not really Re: 1190: "Time")

Postby mikrit » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
azule wrote:
In the signature of mrob27 is wrote:I'm mentioned in xkcd (...)
Wow, you are. Great job being a big geek. ;) :)

Ah, well, I guess I am. When I realized how many classmates, relatives, former co-workers etc. saw me in that xkcd it kinda freaked me out (and I remembered how rarely I see a name in xkcd unless it's someone I already know about). But then I responded the way any geek would, adapting my website to handle the xkcd traffic, and a marathon session of learning PHP and SQL to put the RIES program online. And of course I made a T-shirt.

WHAT!? Did you put GLR in the comfy chair and throwed slightly stale M&Ms at him?

mrob27 wrote:(I didn't have any of those nifty xkcd fonts yet. The playpen balls identify the seated figure as GLR, a reference to the photo in this NYTimes interview, or this photo)

Ah, playpen balls, you say. Yes, I suppose my interpretation was too weird even for this thread. (Although I could probably start a new sect from it: "So much did GLR love the world, that He let Himself be put in the comfy chair and suffered the stale chocolate...".)
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

2,000,000 views - Yay!

2 million is the number of 500 nano-meter sections you can fit into one meter.

If you divide a cubic meter into 500nm * 500nm * 500nm blocks you end up with 8 billion billion blocks. If you arranged all of them in a 1 layer grid, the top surface of them would be 2 million square meters in area. That's 2 square km or about the area of Monaco.

Monaco is about 200 km from the center of the Time world. That's about 2 million hands! See - it's all related!

Also: I guess whoever it was, has gone.
Image- Kieryn

WOnder93

Postby WOnder93 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

*pauses blitzing*

http://xkcd.mscha.org/view1.js wrote:

Code: Select all

// Slideshow ( http://xkcd.com/1264/ )

mscha... I know this was supposed to be funny (and it kind of is :wink:), but please at least make it go back to normal size after the animation (or add a button for doing so). I use your viewer during my blitz and I find this more annoying than entertaining. :evil:

Thank you.

*unpauses blitzing*
The OTT via Markov chain generator wrote:I've been following the thread to be lost.
Time created Cueball and Megan and says, Well, it's research.

On my quest to catch up with the Present - progress
The Sky of Time || OTT plaintext scraper || Userscript: floating user profile

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

WOnder93 wrote:*pauses blitzing*

mscha... I know this was supposed to be funny (and it kind of is :wink:), but please at least make it go back to normal size after the animation (or add a button for doing so). I use your viewer during my blitz and I find this more annoying than entertaining. :evil:

Thank you.

*unpauses blitzing*

Haha! Classic. :-)

Seriously though, mscha, you will be changing it back, right???
Image- Kieryn

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Continuing ergman's continuation of broken picture telephone that was started. If you want to play, click on the spoiler at the bottom - DON'T click any of the links. Then write a sentence to go with the picture.
Sentence
Picture
Sentence
Picture
Sentence
Spoiler:

RSIR but in the same spoiler for gameplay purposes
game1.png
game1.png (10.96 KiB) Viewed 14449 times

taixzo wrote:Here is an OTTification, made with no original imagery with HTML and CSS only:

http://taixzo.com/1264.html

Steakish!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

A Future Pilot

Postby A Future Pilot » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

I just wanted to point out...I do believe this is now the single longest organic thread in the history of interblag forums. ("Organic in the sense that the point was not to make the longest thread"). If anyone knows of a longer one, please let me know :)

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

They say Friday 13th is full of bad luck.

Sometimes I say that there is no such thing as luck.

But usually I say that Friday 13th is my good luck day. Just to mess with people.
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

My son was born on Friday 13th. Seems like a pretty lucky day to me.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:My son was born on Friday 13th. Seems like a pretty lucky day to me.

My son too! March 13, 2009...
Image- Kieryn

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Whizbang wrote:My son was born on Friday 13th. Seems like a pretty lucky day to me.

My son too! March 13, 2009...

I don't have a son. Or a daughter, for that matter. Which is good because I have no particular wish for offspring and am a little young...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Another interesting graph would be a graph of the number of changed pixels in each frame.

Essentially that's just a differential of the graph I did.
Well sorta, but if the landscape is the same and Cuegan move, the difference could be zero, while the changed pixels would be 2xCuegan. That would indicate less work for GLR than a scene change, but more that when they just sit still while the amoeba grows.

By request:

Each black line represents the total proportion of pixel change in either direction (black-to-white, or white-to-black).
Image- Kieryn

Eternal Density

I'm still acoma, really!

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

So was my sister. Which is why I was singing happy birthday a few posts ago.
WOnder93 wrote:*pauses blitzing*

Thank you.

*unpauses blitzing*
Hang on just a moment, where did mscha get the idea to...
Eternal Density wrote:Dear website operators:
I want to browse a series of images like this: http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/1
What have I done???

slinches wrote:Yay! The github.io link isn't blocked by my work webfilter. Image

I tried to play a bit on my tablet at home, but I spend only a limited amount of time online away from work and the double tap to zoom kept getting in the way of clicking. Now I might have a chance to keep up with the rest of you all. (Newpix 7, 2.8 sand/mNP)
Treeish! Yeah I have the problem of accidentally double clicking on my phone. I've learned to tap just slightly slower, mostly. Also it's fairly tricky to get Redundakitties.

ETA just noticed ONGs don't seem to happen if I'm looking at a different tab at the critical moment.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
ggh wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Another interesting graph would be a graph of the number of changed pixels in each frame.

Well sorta, but if the landscape is the same and Cuegan move, the difference could be zero, while the changed pixels would be 2xCuegan. That would indicate less work for GLR than a scene change, but more that when they just sit still while the amoeba grows.

By request:

Each black line represents the total proportion of pixel change in either direction (black-to-white, or white-to-black).

Treeish! When you combine the data of your two graphs, I think you should be able to answer the question whether we really once waited (half) an hourH for one darkening pixel. Or was there always more change than that?
Wait on.

Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
ggh wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

By request:

Treeish! When you combine the data of your two graphs, I think you should be able to answer the question whether we really once waited (half) an hourH for one darkening pixel. Or was there always more change than that?

It's not the exact number of changed pixels -- it's the proportion of total... some frames are so different the number is huge. The graph is 500 pixels high, so one black pixel on the graph represents 1/500th of the total frame = 553 * 395 / 500 which is about 437 pixels. Changes with fewer than that number of pixels would not really show up on the graph.
Image- Kieryn

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

A Future Pilot wrote:I just wanted to point out...I do believe this is now the single longest organic thread in the history of interblag forums. ("Organic in the sense that the point was not to make the longest thread"). If anyone knows of a longer one, please let me know :)

Welcome to the OTT. I can't say if it is the longest, but it is the best. Have you been lurking here all along?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Re: I'm still acoma, really!

Postby slinches » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Treeish! Yeah I have the problem of accidentally double clicking on my phone. I've learned to tap just slightly slower, mostly. Also it's fairly tricky to get Redundakitties.

ETA just noticed ONGs don't seem to happen if I'm looking at a different tab at the critical moment.

Yeah ... I'd start out slow, but then start to push it, tapping faster and faster until all of a sudden my screen is jumping around like crazy with black and white things flying every which way. And I didn't know there were Redundakitties in the badges list until I switched to a larger display.

Mobile browsers are finicky by design and will suspend anything in the background at seemingly random times. I think they do it to save battery and clear extra RAM for the active tab/app. Although, in Chrome on Android I've found it would only suspend a hidden tab if the whole browser was in the background for a while. Still, it made for some odd behavior when I left it minimized and came back near an ONG. They should probably add a "keep this tab active" option to avoid these sorts of issues.

And neat deltapix plot, Kieryn. It really shows how much work GLR must have been putting in near T** **D.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

WOnder93 wrote:

“Disable” checkbox added.
(And thanks for ruining the joke for the rest of the OTT...)

Eternal Density wrote:Hang on just a moment, where did mscha get the idea to...
What have I done???

Don't worry, it wasn't you. It's just an OTTification of the current OtherComic.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

@schwartzbewithyou: Thanks for the congrats! Molpy back soon now, y'hear? Image
@azule: Wowterful ottification! I like the newpix's perspective.
@bmonk: Happy 600 posts!
@Minim: Awesomeful Time-school! I want to go.
@pelrigg: Thanks for the congrats on 3000!
@ED: I also like how the redundakitties sneak onto the screen. Happy 1800 posts!
@Whizbang: Treeish ottification!
@Kieryn: Awesomeful pixel-change graph!
@A Future Pilot: Hello! Nice to have you post with us! :)

taixzo wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
Spoiler:

There's that "Ketchup Time" image! I have wanted to use it in the past, but couldn't find it because I didn't know what keywords to search for.

The Time Artwork wiki page might be able to help if there's an OTT image you're having trouble finding. It's far from complete, but there are lots of awefulsome older manips and art on it now.

yappobiscuits wrote:
azule wrote:
pelrigg wrote:I saw your little tiff with the anti-OTTer over in the 1263 thread. Some people....
Good job with that, BlitzGirl. You have a megaton of composure. So interesting, checking on that guy's history, nothing would have indicated he'd be xenophobic. So sad. You're not a real culture until someone discriminates against you. ;)

I knew it would be a bad idea but curiosity got the better of me and I had to have a look. Steambottle. I know I shouldn't let one person's stupid opinion get to me, but it's a habit. Whenever I see someone criticise, or worse, insult (like here) something very close to my heart, I can't help but get deeply infuriated and have to do all I can to hold myself back from writing an incredibly long and angry reply... BlitzGirl, that's why I respect you even more for handling it so well and without a hint of anger. Your response was perfect!

Spoilered because venting:
Spoiler:
But steambottle, there's nothing worse than people who like to think they're superior for shitting on people for enjoying something. So we're "idiots" are we, for having an immense amount of fun? "Idiots" because we injected some creativity and fun instead of just sitting around coldly analysing? "Idiots" for creating an incredible community where flames are a thing of myth, where so many feel at home? "Idiots" for having a more inspired and prolific creative output than the rest of the fora combined? And the guy who feels the need to shit all over us when we've done nothing to hurt anyone - he's the clever one? I think someone needs to re-evaluate their definition of intelligence...

When you look at all the positive effects this community has had on it's members - just look at slinches' post a few posts up for example - it makes me even more pissed off to see posts like that, as if all the positive things about this community don't matter at all, just because it doesn't appeal to him personally. Pathetic. Tell me Mister-so-called Antior, what other sub-communities of these fora can boast such things, hmm? Tell me, why are you oh-so-much better for being part of what you call the "normal xkcd public"? Do I perhaps detect a hint of jealousy? Because you'd be very welcome to join us here, once you remove that rather large stick from your posterior.

Anyway, rant over. Sorry but I needed to vent that. Kudos again to BlitzGirl for having more composure and being able to resist such ranting. Indeed your response was spot on. I notice he never replied after that, so I reckon you put him in his place! ;) I propose a new title for BlitzGirl! BlitzGirl the Trollslayer! (Not that he was technically trolling, but "Arrogant-person-with-superiority-complex-slayer" doesn't have quite the same ring to it :P

Thanks, xuys. I had to resist the urge to bring out my chainsaw. :wink: Once again I'm thankful for how positive the OTT is!
Sadly, this sort of "gatekeeping" response (you're not real members of the community, yadda yadda) lurks in nerd-culture sometimes. Antior's post is like the tiny riverish xkcd-fora analogue of the "fake geek girls" controversy. At this point I've learned to roll my eyes at such and move on.

mikrit wrote:
Spoiler:
mrob27 wrote:Ah, well, I guess I am. When I realized how many classmates, relatives, former co-workers etc. saw me in that xkcd it kinda freaked me out (and I remembered how rarely I see a name in xkcd unless it's someone I already know about). But then I responded the way any geek would, adapting my website to handle the xkcd traffic, and a marathon session of learning PHP and SQL to put the RIES program online. And of course I made a T-shirt.

WHAT!? Did you put GLR in the comfy chair and throwed slightly stale M&Ms at him?

Thanks for my LOL for the dip, mikrit! Image

Eternal Density wrote:Hang on just a moment, where did mscha get the idea to...
What have I done???

*starts throwing small candies at ED* This has got to be heresy of some kind.
(I thought it was hilarious, mscha :mrgreen: )
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

A Future Pilot wrote:I just wanted to point out...I do believe this is now the single longest organic thread in the history of interblag forums. ("Organic in the sense that the point was not to make the longest thread"). If anyone knows of a longer one, please let me know :)

Sorry to disappoint, but http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10740 is longer. However, we will likely surpass it sometime next year.
Welcome to the thread though!

ETA: last #newslide for today is about to go up.
Image- Kieryn

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Welcome, A Future Pilot, to our space.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

slinches wrote:I think GLR is trying to challenge our OTTifying skills with the new othercomic. Unfortunately, my experience with animated gifs is nonexistent or I would make an attempt myself. But I know there are some OTTers gif-ted in the art of animated images based on the number of awesomefully animated avatars. I'll leave it in your capable hands until I de-coma. If it's not been ottified by then, I'll have another new skill to learn thanks to the OTT.

Commence gushing over OTT awesomefulness:
Spoiler:
It truly is amazing how much creativity this tribe has inspired. I'm not normally very artistic, but you all have gotten me to rewrite song lyrics, create parody comics and write (silly) poetry. These are all things I never would have attempted without such a welcoming and appreciative audience. I know I haven't shown much appreciation for others' work in my posts (I'm far too stingy with compliments, especially when they are so richly deserved), but know that I've read and enjoyed everything far beyond my capability to express it.

Truly, thank you all for being the people you are. This is the best place on the internet simply because you are here.

And of course someone took up the challenge. :) Thank you for being the person/mollusk that you are!!

:D Congrats on 1800!

yappobiscuits wrote:
azule wrote:

I knew it would be a bad idea but curiosity got the better of me and I had to have a look. Steambottle. I know I shouldn't let one person's stupid opinion get to me, but it's a habit. Whenever I see someone criticise, or worse, insult (like here) something very close to my heart, I can't help but get deeply infuriated and have to do all I can to hold myself back from writing an incredibly long and angry reply... BlitzGirl, that's why I respect you even more for handling it so well and without a hint of anger. Your response was perfect!

Spoilered because venting:
Spoiler:
But steambottle, there's nothing worse than people who like to think they're superior for shitting on people for enjoying something. So we're "idiots" are we, for having an immense amount of fun? "Idiots" because we injected some creativity and fun instead of just sitting around coldly analysing? "Idiots" for creating an incredible community where flames are a thing of myth, where so many feel at home? "Idiots" for having a more inspired and prolific creative output than the rest of the fora combined? And the guy who feels the need to shit all over us when we've done nothing to hurt anyone - he's the clever one? I think someone needs to re-evaluate their definition of intelligence...

When you look at all the positive effects this community has had on it's members - just look at slinches' post a few posts up for example - it makes me even more pissed off to see posts like that, as if all the positive things about this community don't matter at all, just because it doesn't appeal to him personally. Pathetic. Tell me Mister-so-called Antior, what other sub-communities of these fora can boast such things, hmm? Tell me, why are you oh-so-much better for being part of what you call the "normal xkcd public"? Do I perhaps detect a hint of jealousy? Because you'd be very welcome to join us here, once you remove that rather large stick from your posterior.

Anyway, rant over. Sorry but I needed to vent that. Kudos again to BlitzGirl for having more composure and being able to resist such ranting. Indeed your response was spot on. I notice he never replied after that, so I reckon you put him in his place! ;) I propose a new title for BlitzGirl! BlitzGirl the Trollslayer! (Not that he was technically trolling, but "Arrogant-person-with-superiority-complex-slayer" doesn't have quite the same ring to it :P

Poor yappo. *pats him on the head* That xuy is obviously very misguided, so we should just feel sorry for him. He's the one who's missing out.

And of course BlitzGirl handled beautifully.

taixzo wrote:Here is an OTTification, made with no original imagery with HTML and CSS only:

http://taixzo.com/1264.html

azule wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Part of me doesn't want to do this, but a larger part does. azule (and any others), are you willing to do your "what do I look like to the rest of you" post for me? (I usually don't go in for this type of thing, but I am curious.)
Seeing as you don't mind the redundancy, I'll get mine in and plea for any others to not be deterred. pelrigg, [name not available], interestingly you have managed to keep your distance even in this connected online age, but not forbidding your participation. I lost my gift about here....so please, someone pick this up for pelrigg. :) Or you like, or I'll continue another time. *yawn*

Pelrigg, you remind me of one of my friends, who is extremely nice and always wants to help out but is too shy to say something, so she stands in the doorway hoping someone will say something first.

Ok, now I am interested: what do I look like to the rest of you?

Nice OTTercomic! Steakish.

Let see...you are friendly, smart and helpful. Your sense of humor comes through in all of your posts, though it's a little more subtle. I think of you as being more reserved, not stand-offish and not shy, just a little lower-key. You're make a point to connect with others. Also, blue. :D

ggh wrote:Have y'all seen the number of forum views lately?

Woot! We're multi-millionaires!

Whizbang wrote:And to remain somewhat on topic...

Awesomeful!

schwartzbewithyou wrote:Blindpost!
lmjb1964 wrote:
patzer wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Oh nice, pope.
Please keep this thread alive.
DO SOMETHING!

Does anyone want a game of Monomolpy?

Hm, I wonder what happened to schwartzbewithyou? He She was doing such a great job with the Monomolpy pieces. :(

(fixed that for you)
Hello everyone! I've missed you much! With a wedding only a couple weeks out, I've had to go to the basement for a while :/ However! I saw motion in the othercomic this morning and immediately rushed to the fora like a well-trained OTTer. I felt like it wasn't fair to post there and not at least stop by for a hello here... I see through my schizo-skim-blitz that there is a Time game?! And also HAPPY 3000 BLITZGIRL!

Molpy out. I hope at some point to return.

Sorry about the gender. I of course picture you looking like Rick Moranis. : ) Is this your wedding? And yay! You're back! Or were back. Well, make yourself comfy in the basement till you can return.

MistyCat wrote:BlindPosting from 712
Cheered by Sigcouragement from AluisioASG, Earthling on Mars and TheMinim.

Only ten pages this BlitzSession, and four new pages added.
I'm slowing down.
Here's why.

Spoiler:
jetpac wrote:By the way, I'd like to say thanks to whoever it was earlier that recommended 1/0. I finished (OtherBlitzed?) the archives over the last few days, and then proceeded to read the author's current comic (Leftoversoup) from the beginning up to present day last night. I think it's fair to say that I'm a fan of Mr. Tailsteak ;)

First recommended by Angelastic.

I read and loved One-Divide-Zero as it was first published and Waited for each new comic. I (Everything is Connected) started re-reading it at about the same time as the OTC's FirstPic appeared but I knew not of more, and it was about four mips before a casual comment on another http://www.jasperfforde.com/phorum/list.php?4 fforum led me to my current Blitz.

I was side-tracked into reading all of LeftOverSoup (Thanks, Angelastic); the time for which was intended to be borrowed from my coma time. However, I've rediscovered a truth I learned more than sixty years ago, and which I can still hear chanted by a classfull of young math students, "When you borrow you must Always Pay Back!"

It's possible that somewhere between now and the future Tailsteak has been further discussed, but just in case, here's his FAQ.

I was looking for I/O but couldn't find the link. Thanks for posting it, I think. I needed something else to keep me from what I was already avoiding. And cool, another Jasper Fforde ffan!

Ooh, a firstpost! The discussion about the relative length of the OTT compared to various other threads has come up many times in the OTT. I know people have mentioned this or that thread being longer, but I'm not sure anyone has mentioned a single-topic, "organic" (good word!) thread. So, I decree that it is so. Although, as a member of the Western Paradox Church, that probably means that it's not so. Maybe I should decree that it isn't so. :?

And I see Kieryn's response in the Preview window. I would say that the thread you mention, Kieryn, doesn't fit the "organic" description. It certainly isn't single-topic. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. :)

As my friend likes to say, it's bad luck to be superstitious.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

WOnder93

Postby WOnder93 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

*pauses blitzing*

Ah, I can see that mscha's viewer is now fixed. Thanks, mscha! :D The OTT has once again proved that a compromise can always be found here :)

*continues blitzing*
The OTT via Markov chain generator wrote:I've been following the thread to be lost.
Time created Cueball and Megan and says, Well, it's research.

On my quest to catch up with the Present - progress
The Sky of Time || OTT plaintext scraper || Userscript: floating user profile

Eternal Density

Misunderstood?

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

I text-ottified the latest othercomic by saying to website operators that I want to browse a series of images like mscha's viewer. Then, mscha coincidentally ottified by changing the viewer. So I joked that I caused it by making mscha think of the idea even though I'm sure that my post wasn't really the inspiration.
I'm not sure how that's heresy.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”