1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jovialbard

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jovialbard » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Hmmm, I think mscha just created the first ever OTTification online performance art. Well, no, I guess castle clicker was first, but that's more of a full production than an act of performance art.

Also, thanks for the graph Kieryn. I suppose you were just check from black to white, otherwise the fading would probably be a big black section since the pixels changed every frame. Though this is better because fading doesn't represent a significant amount of extra work as compared to actually changing the contents of the screen.

eta: Hmm, it's been a while since we've had a Supreme Emperor or El Presidente around here... but I think I need another regime change. I'm now Prime Minister For Life For a Page

Your Ministerial Decree: Play that sentence/picture game more, but write really elaborate and abstract sentences so that it get's wacky quicker. Possibly include your favorite poetry format in your sentences. Or an epic story that culminates in the previous person's picture. If you do one of those things, make sure you claim your spot first so that someone doesn't ninja you.
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

ergman wrote:I tried my hand at the OTVO thing. I tried to do Lapetite's cousin. I don't think my voice is naturally high pitched enough, so I guess I sorta did a voice for him.
take it or leave it, whoever is running this voiceover.
otckidlines.zip

I'm a couple pages behind, and have had a very mustardy busy dip at work, but wanted to chirp chime in that I think these clips of LaPetites cousin are wowterful, ergman! They had me smiling b/c I think you gave it such a great innocence and hilarity.. especially knowing that last line is when we see LaPetite sailing back in to the comic on the raftcastle. Heeehehehe, awesomeful.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
A Future Pilot wrote:I just wanted to point out...I do believe this is now the single longest organic thread in the history of interblag forums. ("Organic in the sense that the point was not to make the longest thread"). If anyone knows of a longer one, please let me know :)

Sorry to disappoint, but http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10740 is longer. However, we will likely surpass it sometime next year.
Welcome to the thread though!

ETA: last #newslide for today is about to go up.

huh. I just noticed the flickering of the lantern. nice touch. I really like the style of these drawings.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
azule wrote:
pelrigg wrote:I saw your little tiff with the anti-OTTer over in the 1263 thread. Some people....
Good job with that, BlitzGirl. You have a megaton of composure. So interesting, checking on that guy's history, nothing would have indicated he'd be xenophobic. So sad. You're not a real culture until someone discriminates against you. ;)

I knew it would be a bad idea but curiosity got the better of me and I had to have a look. Steambottle. I know I shouldn't let one person's stupid opinion get to me, but it's a habit. Whenever I see someone criticise, or worse, insult (like here) something very close to my heart, I can't help but get deeply infuriated and have to do all I can to hold myself back from writing an incredibly long and angry reply... BlitzGirl, that's why I respect you even more for handling it so well and without a hint of anger. Your response was perfect!

Spoilered because venting:
<snip spoilered venting>

Poor yappo. *pats him on the head* That xuy is obviously very misguided, so we should just feel sorry for him. He's the one who's missing out.

And of course BlitzGirl handled beautifully.

If I ever need someone told off, I'm going to get yappo to do it for me.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

Another pass over the frames...

This one created 2 images -- I combined them. The top half is the average color of each pixel.
The bottom half indicates the amount of change each pixel endured throughout Time.

Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

Wow, Kieryn. That combined image is hauntingly wingish.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Wow, Kieryn. That combined image is hauntingly wingish.

Yeah... And it just shows you how persistent the sandcastle was... It accounted for a significant proportion of Time.
Image- Kieryn

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

Holy molpy balls! Those pictures are awesome! If you tilt a laptop monitor while looking at the top one it changes so that various different eras become more prominent :shock: I was trying to see if I could see cuegan anywhere... maybe the long night (no, no, that was mostly black, so it wouldn't show up very vividly)?
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

One thing I'm just noticing is there seem to be equal-width horizontal bands in the changes half. I wonder if this is a side-effect of some part of GLR's technique?

ETA: I'm a silly idiot. It's from the writing of course :)

ETA2: Hmmm I guess that might mean I was right to begin with. It means GLR tends to add the writing at specific heights. He probably had a standard line guide that he used.
Image- Kieryn

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:One thing I'm just noticing is there seem to be equal-width horizontal bands in the changes half. I wonder if this is a side-effect of some part of GLR's technique?

ETA: I'm a silly idiot. It's from the writing of course :)

Haha, it took me a minute to see what you meant, not an idiot at all.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:ETA2: Hmmm I guess that might mean I was right to begin with. It means GLR tends to add the writing at specific heights. He probably had a standard line guide that he used.

Makes a lot of sense, since hand-lettering is much easier to do with guides. Treeish find!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
ggh wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Another interesting graph would be a graph of the number of changed pixels in each frame.

Essentially that's just a differential of the graph I did.
Well sorta, but if the landscape is the same and Cuegan move, the difference could be zero, while the changed pixels would be 2xCuegan. That would indicate less work for GLR than a scene change, but more that when they just sit still while the amoeba grows.

By request:

Each black line represents the total proportion of pixel change in either direction (black-to-white, or white-to-black).

Treeish! When you combine the data of your two graphs, I think you should be able to answer the question whether we really once waited (half) an hourH for one darkening pixel. Or was there always more change than that?

It's not the exact number of changed pixels -- it's the proportion of total... some frames are so different the number is huge. The graph is 500 pixels high, so one black pixel on the graph represents 1/500th of the total frame = 553 * 395 / 500 which is about 437 pixels. Changes with fewer than that number of pixels would not really show up on the graph.

I saw that the graph shows the total proportion of pixel change. I just thought that you might have determined the absolute values in order to calculate the proportions, so that you would be able to check your table if the number 1 is somewhere in there, and that the first analysis (or rather the differential as mentioned above) would indicate whethter this change of 1 would be towards white or towards black, the latter being the famous "one darkening pixel". But maybe you generated the graphs differently?
And awesomeful "average change" images!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

Oh wow Kieryn, that's both interesting and incredibly wingish! :shock:
SBN wrote:If I ever need someone told off, I'm going to get yappo to do it for me.

Haha, that's funny because I've never considered myself particularly good at that :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
By request:

Spoiler:

Each black line represents the total proportion of pixel change in either direction (black-to-white, or white-to-black).

Treeish! When you combine the data of your two graphs, I think you should be able to answer the question whether we really once waited (half) an hourH for one darkening pixel. Or was there always more change than that?

It's not the exact number of changed pixels -- it's the proportion of total... some frames are so different the number is huge. The graph is 500 pixels high, so one black pixel on the graph represents 1/500th of the total frame = 553 * 395 / 500 which is about 437 pixels. Changes with fewer than that number of pixels would not really show up on the graph.

Use a log scale? That way small changes are better represented...

Kieryn wrote:Another pass over the frames...

This one created 2 images -- I combined them. The top half is the average color of each pixel.
The bottom half indicates the amount of change each pixel endured throughout Time.

Spoiler:

I would argue that this image is a work of art in its own right. Wingish, treeish, and awesomeful!

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:*Carefully removes a small plush cthullu and peeps out*

Just want to note that those apparently exist.

I never had occasion to consider whether such exist, but I must say that, having seen them, I am glad that, apparently, plush Yog-Sothoth do NOT exist.

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
By request:

It is interesting to me how the complexity of Time's images grew over time--but also we see on the graph how much more change there was in the latter sections...
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:And to remain somewhat on topic...
Great! Oh, to be normal. hehe.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

Spooky...
Visual representations of information can be so darn pretty.
And thanks, Val.
Well, goodbye for a day.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Normal is vastly overrated. Better to be ε
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Oh wow Kieryn, that's both interesting and incredibly wingish! :shock:
SBN wrote:If I ever need someone told off, I'm going to get yappo to do it for me.

Haha, that's funny because I've never considered myself particularly good at that :P

The evidence speaks for itself, at least in writing.
Of course, often there is benefit in the opposite approach. When my daughter was about to go to college, and everyone was getting their dorm assignments, there was much complaining by her classmates that didn't get what they wanted. Many wrote or called to complain. My daughter wrote a note saying basically, that she knew dorm assignments are complicated, and thanks for the hard work. Fast forward two years, and she wanted a room change, and funny thing, the housing office was quick to grant it. (And no, I didn't tell my daughter to do that.) But, my hometown currently has several construction projects going on, and someone posted the email address of "the person to complain to" So I wrote a note saying I thought everything was working out ok, and that I knew ultimately we'd benefit from the changes. Don't know if I'll get a response, but I hope I'll brighten his day a little.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

Well, I'm certainly better in writing. Can't do spoken confrontation in the slightest :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

ED, you have some explaining to do. I left castle clicker on all night and what do I come back to today but a mere 65 castles. 65, after about 14 hours!

Eternal Density

Javascript got some splainin to do

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:ED, you have some explaining to do. I left castle clicker on all night and what do I come back to today but a mere 65 castles. 65, after about 14 hours!

What's castle clicker? (yesterday I actually typed that into my phone instead of the proper address. Oops. )

Um... Are ONGs working at all? I didn't think any code that messes with that was on the live branch yet. But I have vacuuming to do. Saturdays :(
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ChronosDragon

Re: Javascript got some splainin to do

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:ED, you have some explaining to do. I left castle clicker on all night and what do I come back to today but a mere 65 castles. 65, after about 14 hours!

What's castle clicker? (yesterday I actually typed that into my phone instead of the proper address. Oops. )

Um... Are ONGs working at all? I didn't think any code that messes with that was on the live branch yet. But I have vacuuming to do. Saturdays :(

They don't appear to be. The sand counter doesn't appear to have reset recently (current capacity is 3,524,578, with 6,665.5 s/Mnp). If it helps, I'm running it on chrome from github.io (though last night it was on the google drive - it's not working right on either) and i have sand notifications turned off. Last night shortly before molpying down, I had a
Spoiler:
Redundakitty which granted Blitzing
, but besides that and a few exports for switching between browsers/website versions, I can't think of any other irregularities.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:01 am UTC

Double post, but I found the problem. Not sure if the castle awarding algorithm was changed, or if it's just because I now have 7 rivers, but now all my castles are being destroyed and less than the previous number are being built. Fun. I think I'm at a constant loss of castles, now.

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Time-capsule from mrob27, deposited on Newpage 287
Do not open until Newpage 1469

- < Travelogue > -

40 or 50 newpages ago I arrived at my favorite part of the Comic so far (the "Drostekastell"). Some mentioned xkcd 878 which got me thinking. This is a retrOTTification, spoiler-free for anyone who has reached Newpage 243:

MODEL CASTLE
(This is too big to see, I know, but I think if you click on the image you'll get the whole thing)

I am now up to NP287. I have found several more of BlitzGirl's status posts, and messages from the after-when (temporal edits). BlitzGirl reports recently reaching frame 248 (the first frame of Time she had ever seen) and describes what it was like originally seeing this frame out of context. The Thread is still a little dull, as I have little interest in heated debates over apostrophes.

When my husband suggested I look at this article about Voyager I "leaving the solar system", without looking I immedately suggested he type "xkcd.com/1189" into his browser and read the hover-text. Why is this relevant? Because I recognized the "Voyager I" xkcd as being the last OtherComic before Time (so it was easy to remember the number).

- < Messages > -

@cellocgw mentions a word list "wordsEn.zip" but notes "I forget from what site". Based on the filename and your chart I'd guess it's http://www.sil.org/linguistics/wordlists/english/wordlist/wordsEn.zip. Thanks, it helps my project!

I continue running the CastleClicker in another window, and I've been saving/refreshing to get the new version. The best thing about it is that it shows Time in real time, so I can re-experience the speed of the Comic, and compare it to my blitzing progress. @Eternal Density, great improvements to the game itself, and the redacted (nudge-nudge, wink-wink) :wink: is/are pretty chirping treeish.

I too discovered the export-over-2000-characters bug and worked out a different solution (since the data is all numeric, use 'a', 'b' and 'c' as your seParator, Semicolon and Comma, which reduces the final length by a factor of 3!). I'd like to preserve old versions of CastleClicker for use by Blitzers in the future, so I'll be asking for opinions on that.

@Valarya, thanks for adding my creation to the wiki. Updating the wiki is on my list, but kinda low-priority. For a while I was creating things so quickly that I didn't have time. Since The Other Other Wiki discourages adding your own stuff, I've also been a little cautious and prefer to let others do it.

Is there an answer yet on what to do about OTT-Ifs? They're full articles, too seaish to include on this page, so there are currently just images with a link to the article itself. I guess I could convert my OTT-ifs to Wikitext, but I'd rather not :roll:

I think there are three of my creations yet to be put on the wiki page:

• retrOTT-if (a retro ottification of what-if) of What-if 34, on NP 1444
  • The original example of "retrOTTification" my #481 on NP 1434
  • The brand new retrOTTification of #878, above.
and as @Valarya points out, there are badges! :twisted: The rest seem to already be on the OTW, thanks! I might have added one or two myself, before I went back in Time and started Blitzing.

Hey @mikrit, I love your unique interpretations. The worlds (ours, and Outside) need more of that. For GLR so loved the world, indeed! :P Based on the timing of your response I'd guess you're in a bit of a blitz (megaketchup? Image ) yourself...

And general thanks to taixzo for words of encouragement!

That's all for now. Remember you can use the Reverse Chronotransponder to contact me in a more Timely way.

- mrob27
- end transmission -

Spoiler:
retrott-0878-model-castle.png
retrOTTification of xkcd 878, spoiler-free for NP243
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:11 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:They don't appear to be. The sand counter doesn't appear to have reset recently (current capacity is 3,524,578, with 6,665.5 s/Mnp). If it helps, I'm running it on chrome from github.io (though last night it was on the google drive - it's not working right on either) and i have sand notifications turned off. Last night shortly before molpying down, I had a
Spoiler:
, but besides that and a few exports for switching between browsers/website versions, I can't think of any other irregularities.
Sounds like it's not ticking at all. Can you open a JavaScript console and see any error? (has it changed newpix in that time?)
The github.io seems to be ONGing fine for me on my laptop though. And I just got blitzing and that didn't crash it. But something must have...

Does export work? Can you open it in a second tab and import the same game there, and see if it does anything? Or send it to me?
Ninjedit:
Never mind then. But is sand still not updating?
Yeah you need to be careful with lots of rivers. Then how do you have any castles - oh from sand.

I'll work on logging important notifications in the stats screen soon, which should help diagnosing these issues.
Maybe you should sell a river.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:17 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:They don't appear to be. The sand counter doesn't appear to have reset recently (current capacity is 3,524,578, with 6,665.5 s/Mnp). If it helps, I'm running it on chrome from github.io (though last night it was on the google drive - it's not working right on either) and i have sand notifications turned off. Last night shortly before molpying down, I had a
Spoiler:
Sounds like it's not ticking at all. Can you open a JavaScript console and see any error? (has it changed newpix in that time?)
The github.io seems to be ONGing fine for me on my laptop though. And I just got blitzing and that didn't crash it. But something must have...

Does export work? Can you open it in a second tab and import the same game there, and see if it does anything? Or send it to me?
Ninjedit:
Never mind then. But is sand still not updating?
Yeah you need to be careful with lots of rivers. Then how do you have any castles - oh from sand.

I'll work on logging important notifications in the stats screen soon, which should help diagnosing these issues.
Maybe you should sell a river.

Oh. Right. I can sell things. :P

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:53 am UTC

Steakish retrOTTification3, mrob27!

Molpydown .
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

Sandcastle progress

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:06 am UTC

Oops forgot to say molpy up because I didn't expect to stay uncoma'd from 5 in the mornip.
Logging notifications looks good but I'm not sending it live until I finish 2 boosts and that probably means redoing description popups so links don't kill them.

Anyone got fancy suggestions? I can do without but if you have a treeish way to do it, I'd like to hear :D

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:31 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:Is there an answer yet on what to do about OTT-Ifs? They're full articles, too seaish to include on this page, so there are currently just images with a link to the article itself. I guess I could convert my OTT-ifs to Wikitext, but I'd rather not :roll:

mrob27: If you check the discussion section of that wiki page (at the bottom) you can see the current compromise: only the images from the OTT-ifs are being included on the OTTercomics page, and links to the OTT posts containing the full OTT-ifs are added on the Time Literature page.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:22 am UTC

MOLPY PERMANENTLY UP

RAZOR
Spoiler:
coffee.jpg
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:58 am UTC

Wow! I didn't know steak could be made from trees!

The first image is touching, in that it shows just how much the sandcastle dominated the OTC. The bottom image is very interesting in that there seems to be some significant perodicity in it. It's as if there was heirogliphics beanish hidden in the pixels' temporal texture. It could, I suppose, be a compression artifact, but whatever. Quite like unto a tree. (quite luat!)

(I see I've been multple ninja'd. Might as well wish BlitzGirl a happy 3000 while I'm at it - I've been ninja'd about 3000 times on that one! :) )

@mrob27 - Neat adaptation of that xkcd comic! (It's hard not to use OTTishisms in this context - it sounds weird.)

There were other things I wanted to respond to, but the river keeps flowing as it ever was!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:14 am UTC

Thanks, Jose! :)

The OTT is quiet...the wip-end is upon us...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:25 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, Jose! :)

The OTT is quiet...the wip-end is upon us...

I'm just clicking castles and refreshing pages...and hoping my drawing muse strikes again so I can finish my commission. I think I need music. Anyone got electronic tunes featuring violin in some fashion?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:46 am UTC

This is amazingly beautiful. This sort of stuff is why I haven't given up on the thread yet, and am still (somewhat futilely) trying to keep up. Bravo.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:39 am UTC

I love these images. I keep tilting my monitor up and down so I can see all the different images blended together. Also I'm imagining the top image is from an alternate universe without a 2nd Zanclean flood where Cuegan's sandcastle kept standing and this happened to be a frame from a foggy morning or something. There's nothing sad about that is there?
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:58 am UTC

@timborme - I remember that discussion on the "Drostekastell", neat to see it rO'd. :)

BlitzGirl wrote:@azule: Wowterful ottification! I like the newpix's perspective.
Thank you, Blitz. :)

yappobiscuits wrote:Well, I'm certainly better in writing. Can't do spoken confrontation in the slightest :P
I'm about as flustered in writing as I am in person. This :oops: would be me if I were more yellow.

ZoomanSP wrote:Image
That's the cutest turtle I've seen!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Eternal Density

Treeish

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:08 am UTC

While testing the buffs to the Not Lucky reward, I got the All Along the Watchtower badge. And I happened to be listening to that song at the same time. Odd moment.
Also buffed Erosion :D
Okay back to testing...

BlitzGirl

Crossword: "Refreshments"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:11 am UTC

For all the wip-enders with nothing better to do:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

CrosswordRefreshments1.png

Keywords: Crossword Refreshement Refreshments BGUM
redundant167.png
redundant167.png (140.17 KiB) Viewed 8776 times
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:46 am UTC

Done! I think...Either Blitzgirl chose some silly answers, or I have a couple wrong.

Spoiler:
Are both ends of a snake known as the "ass" now?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”