1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:52 am UTC

Kieryn -thanks and thanks some more! And jovialbard with the assist: tilting the laptop is pretty sweet. :)

Page pope? Have a great weekend! (not optional) Then prove it, in a way that's related. (optional)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:04 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Done! I think...Either Blitzgirl chose some silly answers, or I have a couple wrong.
Spoiler:
Are both ends of a snake known as the "ass" now?

You're almost right!
Spoiler:
And nope - the clue says "snakes," not "a snake" :wink:
Here are your mustardy answers (only 4! steakish!):
49-Across
31-Across and Down
43-Across
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:11 am UTC

I'm working on a Time-related project. It is SVG+JS. It still has a ways to go. I'm not as bold as ED with showcasing it as it's built. This is a tease for now. People, keep pumping out the projects. Have fun!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:12 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Done! I think...Either Blitzgirl chose some silly answers, or I have a couple wrong.
Spoiler:
Are both ends of a snake known as the "ass" now?

You're almost right!
Spoiler:
And nope - the clue says "snakes," not "a snake" :wink:
Here are your mustardy answers (only 4! steakish!):
49-Across
31-Across and Down
43-Across

Ah, mustard. Well, nobody's perfect (besides, of course, the GLR). Pretty sure I know what the right answers are, so I'll do the same thing as last time and not bother to fix it :P

Anyway, molpy down!

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:23 am UTC

@ED: When I load the Sandcastle Builder a few minutes after the ONG the Glass Factory Badge is not awarded even I've got it before already. (It's no big deal since at 846.9 S/mNP I get it back rather quickly anyway, but I think it is a bug in the save or load routine.)
Great work with the Sandcastle Builder, ED!

Now for some minor and hopefully constructive criticism:
The sand numbers are fine but a bit to big. They work alright on my HD notebook display but somewhat clutter other monitors, so maybe 50% to 75% of the current size (say 24px instead of 36) would be just fine. Same goes for the rest of the notifications.
A personal choice for me would also be a autosave intervall of 10 instead of 5 mNP.
It really could do with some spiffy graphic badges in black and white - if someone with mad graph skillz would be up to it.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:53 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:@ED: When I load the Sandcastle Builder a few minutes after the ONG the Glass Factory Badge is not awarded even I've got it before already. (It's no big deal since at 846.9 S/mNP I get it back rather quickly anyway, but I think it is a bug in the save or load routine.)
Great work with the Sandcastle Builder, ED!

Now for some minor and hopefully constructive criticism:
The sand numbers are fine but a bit to big. They work alright on my HD notebook display but somewhat clutter other monitors, so maybe 50% to 75% of the current size (say 24px instead of 36) would be just fine. Same goes for the rest of the notifications.
A personal choice for me would also be a autosave intervall of 10 instead of 5 mNP.
It really could do with some spiffy graphic badges in black and white - if someone with mad graph skillz would be up to it.

Ah, I know what's wrong with glass factory : it used to be too low so I unawarded it if you're under the new target, but I didn't condition it on the version so now with Blitzing it's possible to get it with a saved rate under the limit. I'll take that out now.
Yeah I'll shrink the notification size a bit. Or should it be an option?
If you want to save every 10mNP that's your choice. Not sure what that has to do with me.

As for graphics, that's a good idea, after I add the tool graphics...

I tried to deploy some changes but git merging is tricky and didn't do what I expected.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:28 am UTC

- BlindPost NP1448 -

Hey everyone! Just passed the 1000th postiversary of ChronosDragon and yappo, congrats!

The content posted by everyone has been so... oh, I don't think just mixing old words for appreciation makes it justice, I wonder if it's too late to try to invent new words for that?...

THE WORK OF EVERYONE HAS BEEN MUSTCHICEGRANDMING BABIESASS!

Yeah, probably too late :-/

Anyway, another Vytron Presents: The Lost Frames:

http://xkcd.com/649/

Alt-Text: Imaginary friends suck at sex.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:34 am UTC

Vytron wrote:THE WORK OF EVERYONE HAS BEEN MUSTCHICEGRANDMING BABIESASS!

I DO NOT NOTICE ESPY SEE ANYTHING ERRONEOUS WRONG WITH THIS.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:32 am UTC

azule wrote:WARNING: This OdeTiTy has been done for entertainment purposes only. The views and opinions expressed by the protagonist are not the opinion of the author. As the title of the songs says, this is from the perspective of a newpix that has issues. All resemblances to actual creations or facts are purely coincidental (but probably not).

I just mean, don't take this bad. It's sarcasm....it's an adaptation of this ICP song.

Spoiler:
Newpix With Issues

Once an hour there's more of us and all we do is fill the site
You might look at me, at first, comparing of the pixel's light
Just like your OTTified redundakitty spoilered GIF
We will all get left beside just like we're mustard chirpin' spit
I will be your trebucheted, imaginary Inside friend
I fulfill you, it's all related, there's no need to Facebook friend
But instead you lose me in the past, leave me to fade away
Hoping you'll view me again someday...hey, hey

[Chorus]
Why don't you come past for me and take me to the future side (take me to the future side)
Lost within the hashing key, the hexadec'mal names, they hide
(It can be so lonely)

I endure defacement pure with dialogue inanity
Scribble on me "funny" jokes that make me lose my sanity
You implore your OTTer friends to tag me with heretic lies
Please clean up your coding tags, don't leave me exposed and spoilerfied
All the Madness caused to do was tear from me the focus earned
You will one day understand how this has also left you burned
But OtherComics are for now OTTified to my dismay
Lost still I am to the Present day, hey(hey)hey(hey)hey

[Chorus]

Boys and girls, forget those mustard frames
Download the completely new, ha, creation
Sandcastle Builder

(Molpy, Up!)
(Yeah)
(W-w-w-w-wowterful)
(Yeah)

I can see you near The End where OTTers tell you how to feel
No more do you care about the secrets I've yet to reveal
Seven months have passed for me and nothing has enlightened you
Now it's time for me to tell you that...YOU ARE TRAPPED HERE TOO

[Chorus]

If I need to apologize more for anything, let me know, or read the warning again.

I had to read it twice; the first time it didn't sink in that it was the newpix talking. Never thought about the newpix's perspective. I think it needs some therapy.

azule wrote: just thought of a way of doing this game that doesn't require spoilers. A modification. In this version you attempt to create a barely connected version of the previous description or drawing. <snipped 'cause spoiler> The point is for these things to not be so unambiguously accurate. This should work well with such a creative crowd.

Interesting idea. It's sort of the other game turned on its head, in a way; instead of trying to interpret what you've been given as accurately as possible, you skew it a little bit. That could be interesting. I think you would still need spoilers, no? And what you wrote was a spoiler for the game, although it probably doesn't matter now that it's in the past. I don't think anyone just reading your post now will be joining this game.

Kieryn wrote:Another pass over the frames...

This one created 2 images -- I combined them. The top half is the average color of each pixel.
The bottom half indicates the amount of change each pixel endured throughout Time.

Spoiler:

This is really very wingish. I thought people were kidding when they said you could see different things from different angles, but it's true! And it is interesting to see those white bands from the lettering.

SBN wrote:<snippers>Of course, often there is benefit in the opposite approach. When my daughter was about to go to college, and everyone was getting their dorm assignments, there was much complaining by her classmates that didn't get what they wanted. Many wrote or called to complain. My daughter wrote a note saying basically, that she knew dorm assignments are complicated, and thanks for the hard work. Fast forward two years, and she wanted a room change, and funny thing, the housing office was quick to grant it. (And no, I didn't tell my daughter to do that.) But, my hometown currently has several construction projects going on, and someone posted the email address of "the person to complain to" So I wrote a note saying I thought everything was working out ok, and that I knew ultimately we'd benefit from the changes. Don't know if I'll get a response, but I hope I'll brighten his day a little.

Your daughter sounds really thoughtful and mature, and it's obvious where she gets it. :)

yappobiscuits wrote:Well, I'm certainly better in writing. Can't do spoken confrontation in the slightest :P

I'm the same way. But after the situation has ended and I'm completely removed from it, then I come up with the most brilliant comebacks and withering remarks. :?

Eternal Density wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:[A personal choice for me would also be a autosave intervall of 10 instead of 5 mNP.

Ah, I know what's wrong with glass factory : it used to be too low so I unawarded it if you're under the new target, but I didn't condition it on the version so now with Blitzing it's possible to get it with a saved rate under the limit. I'll take that out now.
Yeah I'll shrink the notification size a bit. Or should it be an option?
If you want to save every 10mNP that's your choice. Not sure what that has to do with me.

So, we can set the autosave interval?
And I'm a little confused by all the discussion about moving the game. If I've been using the Google Drive version, do I need to export and go to another link?

I agree completely!
Nice xkcdsw.

Oh, ergman,I haven't had a chance to listen to your OTVO submissions. Will do that tomorrow.

Edited to fix weird wording and give a :D to BlitzGirl. Now I gotta coma.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Nopixly OSH

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:01 am UTC

OSH

This is Cueball.
What newpix is he from?

Redundant:
Spoiler:

OSH036.png
OSH036.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 15835 times

Keywords: BGOSH
redundant168.png
redundant168.png (54.25 KiB) Viewed 15835 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Preoccupied.

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:27 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:So, we can set the autosave interval?
And I'm a little confused by all the discussion about moving the game. If I've been using the Google Drive version, do I need to export and go to another link?

Yeah in the options you can adjust it or switch it off.

The version that will be updated going forward is at eternaldensity.github.io/Sandcastle-Builder/
So you should probably export and change to it so when I get around to finishing the next version you can play it.

ETA:
Okay I think I just missed hitting one button. 0.94 is up.
There's some new boosts (I think) plus some not quite done, notification logging, some code tweaks and various buffs including Not Lucky and Erosion, and the save format was improved upon a treeish suggestion by
Still lots to do but I wanted to get these changes out.

So yeah, if you want to play 0.94, export and import to the github.io location

Hmm I should add times to the log feature.
ETA I noticed a bug in Erosion. Feel free to exploit it until I fix it. Also the description for overcompensating seems wrong: should be 105.

Edit After Shower: sad that I haven't even started 0.941 yet, but have 3 bugfixes to make already.
BTW if I remember correctly, the new boost is
Spoiler:
Doublepost
or something like that. It's kinda a companion to
Spoiler:
Overcompensating

Also I should have the options boxes always show values rather than needing mouseover. It's needless and makes touchscreen browsing very difficult.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Your daughter sounds really thoughtful and mature, and it's obvious where she gets it. :)

She is. But, of course here I'm mostly talking about the good stuff. (And, since I have two daughters and don't always specify which one, it sounds like I have one totally amazing one, instead of two that are just really good.) She is another one that had a hard time fitting in until she got to college, but has really come into her own there. That's partly because she very much decided to try out all sorts of different things, and not just stick with what she knew she liked.
And yeah, their dad is very thoughtful, so of course they are.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

WOnder93

Postby WOnder93 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

Quest progress: 1202/1470 pages

Since my last signpost a lot has happened in the OTC: Rosetta explained to Cuegan that the sea would fill in only DAYS and that according to her they could do nothing to save their people. But then something unexpected happened: the title-text changed to '...'! A mere newpix after that, the title-text spoke the word that immediately appeared in the minds of both Megan and Cueball: RUN. Cuegan did not hesitate for a second and followed the command of their heart - they ran out of the castle, through the city and soon reached the second Beanie tower where they stayed for the night. The next day Megan admitted that she had stolen the maps Rosetta showed them. They decided to follow their old path down the mountain and then get to their people through the hills. After passing by the shed, they interrupted resting Lucky, who ran away as soon as he saw them. After several newpix they reached the now empty hills and soon after that they reached the shore. Then they finally saw their people! After discovering that they can no longer just passively float on the water, they carefully forded a jut of the sea and are now about to make contact with the rest of their tribe.

The OTT is full of excitement, delurkers, Gibraltar dam discussions, but also a lot of constructive discussions about the comic. I can only expect the chaos and excitement to rise, as the Cuegan-40 encounter is just a newpix ahead (and the end of Time is ominiously near :().

Onward I go, ready to face the End!
The OTT via Markov chain generator wrote:I've been following the thread to be lost.
Time created Cueball and Megan and says, Well, it's research.

On my quest to catch up with the Present - progress
The Sky of Time || OTT plaintext scraper || Userscript: floating user profile

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: Nopixly OSH

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
OSH

This is Cueball.
What newpix is he from?

np2705

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

@ergman - re: the kids voice. well done. nice spirit, but still a bit grown up sounding.

Thanks! You too!

Vytron wrote:
Spoiler:
Alt-Text: Imaginary friends suck at sex.
Oh, sex...how can you not be funny? Love it!!

lmjb1964 wrote:
azule wrote:WARNING: This OdeTiTy has been done for entertainment purposes only.

I had to read it twice; the first time it didn't sink in that it was the newpix talking. Never thought about the newpix's perspective. I think it needs some therapy.
Thank you! That's exactly the comment I was hoping to get. It definitely needs therapy. lol.

lmjb1964 wrote:Interesting idea. It's sort of the other game turned on its head, in a way; instead of trying to interpret what you've been given as accurately as possible, you skew it a little bit. That could be interesting. I think you would still need spoilers, no? And what you wrote was a spoiler for the game, although it probably doesn't matter now that it's in the past. I don't think anyone just reading your post now will be joining this game.
Thanks for the comment. First of all, fixed post with spoiler. This was the second mention of my bad behaviour, and even though I agree with myself and you, fixed.

My problem is figuring out how to play this without peeking in the spoilers. I can't help myself. But my idea suggestion was basically what I kept thinking when I looked. Can it be played sans spoilers? It is actually required [optional]. You're supposed to get off track on purpose (which is only a hope in the original game). I think the problem with the game now is that we're all too good at art and writing. I kept seeing the same stuff because we are all so accurate. It's good for new versions of art, but not so good for the game. I had been wanting to participate, btw.

Eternal Density

Coma Deprivation

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

Molpy Down!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

rONG...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

Yes, I'm schizoblitzing...

BlitzGirl wrote:
mrob27 wrote:Is there an answer yet on what to do about OTT-Ifs? They're full articles, too seaish to include on this page, so there are currently just images with a link to the article itself. I guess I could convert my OTT-ifs to Wikitext, but I'd rather not :roll:

mrob27: If you check the discussion section of that wiki page (at the bottom) you can see the current compromise: only the images from the OTT-ifs are being included on the OTTercomics page, and links to the OTT posts containing the full OTT-ifs are added on the Time Literature page.

While I essentially agree, especially as far as mrob27's question is concerned, I think a clarification of the bit about the images from the OTT-Ifs is in order, I'll elaborate in the discussion section on the wiki page in a moment.

I also have a proposal. When we modify an image, may it come from a What-If, an othercomic or some entirely heretical source, for the purpose of using it in an OTT-If, then let's call the result
Spoiler:
OTT-if-ied.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

Here's a diversion for you. Not sure how well it works, since the site distinguishes between identical squares, so I had to turn on numbering.
http://www.proprofs.com/games/puzzle/sliding/timeframepuzzle/
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

project2051

Postby project2051 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Here's a diversion for you. Not sure how well it works, since the site distinguishes between identical squares, so I had to turn on numbering.

500 moves 700 seconds. Score =0 not sure if good or meh.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Quick question about sandcastle builder: how long is the interval between the ONG and the time newpixbots trigger? The site it's hosted on (http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/) should really say how long I have to wait if I don't want to ninja.
Of course, this may just be a case of me being clueless; that's a by-product of my only dropping in here for a few minutes a day.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

waveney

Postby waveney » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Quick question about sandcastle builder: how long is the interval between the ONG and the time newpixbots trigger? The site it's hosted on (http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/) should really say how long I have to wait if I don't want to ninja.
Of course, this may just be a case of me being clueless; that's a by-product of my only dropping in here for a few minutes a day.

Its 333 mnP. If you look at the castle tool box, when it is running the timer there is a count down timer displayed, when it finishes it is safe to click. This will be 10 minutes after the ONG. (I am not sure of the behaviour when you get to LongPix - I am a day away).

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

waveney wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Quick question about sandcastle builder: how long is the interval between the ONG and the time newpixbots trigger? The site it's hosted on (http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/) should really say how long I have to wait if I don't want to ninja.

Its 333 mnP. If you look at the castle tool box, when it is running the timer there is a count down timer displayed, when it finishes it is safe to click. This will be 10 minutes after the ONG. (I am not sure of the behaviour when you get to LongPix - I am a day away.

Okay, thanks. I'm only seeing about 20% of the update posts from ED, so I miss quite a lot. Hopefully I'll be able to spend more time here soon.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
waveney wrote:

Its 333 mnP. If you look at the castle tool box, when it is running the timer there is a count down timer displayed, when it finishes it is safe to click. This will be 10 minutes after the ONG. (I am not sure of the behaviour when you get to LongPix - I am a day away.

Okay, thanks. I'm only seeing about 20% of the update posts from ED, so I miss quite a lot. Hopefully I'll be able to spend more time here soon.

And the boosts "Busy Bot" and "Stealthy Bot" will reduce the amount of Time you need to "Wait For It". (In this case the ability to start clicking without ninjaing the Newpixbots, which will build some additional castles if you let them get to the end of the timer.)

Watch for the "Redundakitties". They appear as blocks in any section and look like the rest of that section. (You don't have to pay anything for them if they're in a "Tool" row.) And if you get the "Blitz" prize, check your Newpixbot timer so you don't ninja them.

Also, if you haven't gotten the "Autosave" boost yet it's a really good option to have. (I, and many others, lost several Newpix's worth of stuff by accidently closing or refreshing the page.)

About the "Autosave" feature in general: after seeing ED say you could set the save intervals, I figured out how he hid that. Each time you click the "Autosave" button under "Options", it will add 5mNP to the time (up to 40nNP) and then it will be 'off'. So you can set "Autosave" from 0 to 40 mNP just by clicking on it. Since ED doesn't have a note anywhere about how long your save is set at, I clicked and check the stats to see if the autosave clock was running, and then when I saw it wasn't, I went back and clicked the number of times I needed to. I'm now set at 30 nMP.

A couple more game things:
I'm still on the googledrive version. Am I right in assuming the chirpingmustard version is up and running (and more updated than my 0.936 version)?
Next multi-question: I read ED's post on "How To Export", but there didn't seem to be anything something more fundamental. Basically, where am I "exporting" to? Do I need to have both versions open? And where am I going to be doing the "splice together" thing mentioned?

(Now let's see how much I've been ninja'd on this stuff.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

WOnder93

Postby WOnder93 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

Quest progress: 1215/1470 pages

Yay! LaPetite is back! Image And she made Cuegan's platform into a boat!
Well, I can't say it was unexpected - people have been predicting this for some time - but it's still awesome! I can't wait to see Rosetta's reaction when she sees Cueganities alive and aboard this treeish boat! :D
The OTT via Markov chain generator wrote:I've been following the thread to be lost.
Time created Cueball and Megan and says, Well, it's research.

On my quest to catch up with the Present - progress
The Sky of Time || OTT plaintext scraper || Userscript: floating user profile

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

WOnder93 wrote:Quest progress: 1202/1470 pages

The OTT is full of excitement, delurkers, Gibraltar dam discussions, but also a lot of constructive discussions about the comic. I can only expect the chaos and excitement to rise, as the Cuegan-40 encounter is just a newpix ahead (and the end of Time is ominiously near :().

Onward I go, ready to face the End!

So, I thought he'd be ok.
But then
WOnder93 wrote:Quest progress: 1215/1470 pages

Yay! LaPetite is back! Image And she made Cuegan's platform into a boat!
Well, I can't say it was unexpected - people have been predicting this for some time - but it's still awesome! I can't wait to see Rosetta's reaction when she sees Cueganities alive and aboard this treeish boat! :D

Prepare the ice cream!
Hopefully this will be enough

Some Ways to Time

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

WOnder93 wrote:I can't wait to see Rosetta's reaction when she sees Cueganities alive and aboard this treeish boat! :D

Oh dear. :(
Yeah I can't wait either. But I have to. Forever.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

@Ergman, re. OTVO - Your acting was spot on, but I do think you still sound too old to play such a small child.
Re. BlitzGirl's latest crossword - Done!
Spoiler:
Refreshments Solved.jpg

Vytron wrote:Hey everyone! Just passed the 1000th postiversary of ChronosDragon and yappo, congrats!

The content posted by everyone has been so... oh, I don't think just mixing old words for appreciation makes it justice, I wonder if it's too late to try to invent new words for that?...

THE WORK OF EVERYONE HAS BEEN MUSTCHICEGRANDMING BABIESASS!

Thanks! That newfangled compliment was... flibchodding blerkelsome!
Treeish Lost Frames too :lol:
lmjb1964 wrote:
azule wrote:WARNING: This OdeTiTy has been done for entertainment purposes only. The views and opinions expressed by the protagonist are not the opinion of the author. As the title of the songs says, this is from the perspective of a newpix that has issues. All resemblances to actual creations or facts are purely coincidental (but probably not).

I just mean, don't take this bad. It's sarcasm....it's an adaptation of this ICP song.

Spoiler:
Newpix With Issues

Once an hour there's more of us and all we do is fill the site
You might look at me, at first, comparing of the pixel's light
Just like your OTTified redundakitty spoilered GIF
We will all get left beside just like we're mustard chirpin' spit
I will be your trebucheted, imaginary Inside friend
I fulfill you, it's all related, there's no need to Facebook friend
But instead you lose me in the past, leave me to fade away
Hoping you'll view me again someday...hey, hey

[Chorus]
Why don't you come past for me and take me to the future side (take me to the future side)
Lost within the hashing key, the hexadec'mal names, they hide
(It can be so lonely)

I endure defacement pure with dialogue inanity
Scribble on me "funny" jokes that make me lose my sanity
You implore your OTTer friends to tag me with heretic lies
Please clean up your coding tags, don't leave me exposed and spoilerfied
All the Madness caused to do was tear from me the focus earned
You will one day understand how this has also left you burned
But OtherComics are for now OTTified to my dismay
Lost still I am to the Present day, hey(hey)hey(hey)hey

[Chorus]

Boys and girls, forget those mustard frames
Download the completely new, ha, creation
Sandcastle Builder

(Molpy, Up!)
(Yeah)
(W-w-w-w-wowterful)
(Yeah)

I can see you near The End where OTTers tell you how to feel
No more do you care about the secrets I've yet to reveal
Seven months have passed for me and nothing has enlightened you
Now it's time for me to tell you that...YOU ARE TRAPPED HERE TOO

[Chorus]

If I need to apologize more for anything, let me know, or read the warning again.

Aha! Now you point out it's from the newpix's perspective, I finally get it! Azule, that's actually brilliant, sorry I didn't get it first time round. :)

ETA: I had a go at Littlest Bangs Brother's dialogue myself, also trying to make myself sound as young and high as possible... I dunno if it works, but it's another attempt...
OTVO Yappobiscuits LBB.mp3
(365.63 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Back, get back damn you! *cracks whip*
Get back, Life! Back I say! *cracks whip, and hurriedly shuts the door, bolting it shut*
I am so sick dealing with the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Damnit. *pulls arrow from butt cheek*
For once I should like my fortune to be of a positive nature. I need a break.

Hello all. What's this about voice recordings and such? Oh yes, I haven't had ketchup yet.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

I going to do some disjointed replying here. (As usual I've followed the OTT in lurker mode, but because of lack-of-coma and dull work, when I get home I just can't make my brain-cells function enough to make a post.) But any way rather than go back to my "last" post (not counting my castle game posts), I'm going to start from the current NewPage and work my way back-wards. Let's see how this works....

Kieryn wrote:Another pass over the frames...

This one created 2 images -- I combined them. The top half is the average color of each pixel.
The bottom half indicates the amount of change each pixel endured throughout Time.
<snipped treeish images>

Along with the two graphs you put up, this is a most awesomeful job of looking at the entirety of Time in a single glance. But of the four images, I'm going to have to say "Me too! Me too! to the chorus of folks saying the "average color" one is the Bestest! by far. [Have these been added to the wiki yet? If not, I don't think OTTmanips would be the right place for them. They need to be some place like a graph page. Some place where they won't get lost in the shuffle.]
And "obelisk" is coming along great. Wiccans? Pagans? Hmmmm, glued to the edge of my seat, I am. (An aside there: As the slides with the flickering lamp were loading, the flickering was already in place. When I moved to a new slide, there was a flicker in the dark and then the image appeared over it. Coolness. It may be an artifact of the method used, but it's still cool.)

---------------
Yeah, 2,000,000 views. Go us!! (actually "right nowish" it's 2012138 views, but who's going to try to keep up with celebrating each individual view. Mainly because we do that just by being here. And by reading this wowderfulness.)

---------------
SBN wrote:
Whizbang wrote:The Castle game needs a chat box so that people can chat while they wait for the next ONG without cluttering the OTT. Also, I haven't had a RedundaKitty in a while.

As a non-castler (at least so far) I can say I don't consider that it is clutter, and I don't want to see a further dispersion of OTTers.

And as someone who plays "Castle", I agree with SBN about "no chat box in the game". We've already have several off-site places where OTTers can go and interact (Facebook, the steam channel, and I don't remember where else..). We don't really need another place that will divide us into yet an even smaller group.

---------------
yappobiscuits wrote:This is just the first set of 10, so don't worry if you haven't been smileyficated yet, I'm gonna do more! If you want to be included in a future set, just say so :D

Tell you what. I'd like join in this party, if it's not too much trouble.
I just listened to your Little Bang Brother voice. I do like it, but it might sound too much like Cueball, so it could get confusing.

---------------
@ergman - re: the kids voice. I listened to your Little Bang Brother recording when you posted it. (In fact according to my display I was the first one to down load it.) I like the enthusiasm and the pacing. It would be a good addition to the Voice Over, but a little higher pitch or something to make it sound younger might make it better. (Maybe Vytron could do some post twerking on it.)

---------------
@mscha; I did like your whole site OTTification you did. But I'm also glad you installed an "off" button. You had me worried for a minute. And people are still going to come onto your site and go WTF???????

---------------
And while I was writing this, I lost Ninja Stealth by going on "Vacation". *sigh*
Finally over 1000 sand/mNP. (1,145.2 s/mNP @ NP130) Seeing how I'm not letting it run all the time (I want to watch the ONGs unfold like "In The Beginning") I think I'm doing okay.

---------------
project2051 wrote:
SBN wrote:Here's a diversion for you. Not sure how well it works, since the site distinguishes between identical squares, so I had to turn on numbering.

I played and got a 0 Score. I think I was at 1300 seconds or something. But I did solve it!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Eternal Density

Molpy Up

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

[math][/math]
pelrigg wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
waveney wrote:

And the boosts "Busy Bot" and "Stealthy Bot" will reduce the amount of Time you need to "Wait For It". (In this case the ability to start clicking without ninjaing the Newpixbots, which will build some additional castles if you let them get to the end of the timer.)

Watch for the "Redundakitties". They appear as blocks in any section and look like the rest of that section. (You don't have to pay anything for them if they're in a "Tool" row.) And if you get the "Blitz" prize, check your Newpixbot timer so you don't ninja them.

Also, if you haven't gotten the "Autosave" boost yet it's a really good option to have. (I, and many others, lost several Newpix's worth of stuff by accidently closing or refreshing the page.)

About the "Autosave" feature in general: after seeing ED say you could set the save intervals, I figured out how he hid that. Each time you click the "Autosave" button under "Options", it will add 5mNP to the time (up to 40nNP) and then it will be 'off'. So you can set "Autosave" from 0 to 40 mNP just by clicking on it. Since ED doesn't have a note anywhere about how long your save is set at, I clicked and check the stats to see if the autosave clock was running, and then when I saw it wasn't, I went back and clicked the number of times I needed to. I'm now set at 30 nMP.

A couple more game things:
I'm still on the googledrive version. Am I right in assuming the chirpingmustard version is up and running (and more updated than my 0.936 version)?
Next multi-question: I read ED's post on "How To Export", but there didn't seem to be anything something more fundamental. Basically, where am I "exporting" to? Do I need to have both versions open? And where am I going to be doing the "splice together" thing mentioned?

(Now let's see how much I've been ninja'd on this stuff.)
Actually the base time for Newpixbots is 12 minutes, then minus a possible 10 or 20 %
You can see how long since the last autosave in the stats.
There is now a 0.94 which is at github. castle.chirpingmustard.com will eventually point at that, not sure exactly when the DNS change will propagate. Likely already has while I was acoma.
Export changed to just put the export string directly on the screen to be copied, so the stuff about splicing is no longer needed. You just click export, copy a bunch text, open the other version (0.94) click import, and paste. (and then click OK) You can close the old version at any time after you copy the export text.
Okay I better go work on bugfixes...

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

Righto, pelrigg! Your avatar isn't as instantly easily smileyable as some, but I can do it!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Aha! Now you point out it's from the newpix's perspective, I finally get it! Azule, that's actually brilliant, sorry I didn't get it first time round. :)
Thanks! That's what I was going for: brilliant. ;) Though, I must be on a rampage to confuse and baffle. I'll try to be more obvious in my next creation. lol.

yappobiscuits wrote:I had a go at Littlest Bangs Brother's dialogue myself, also trying to make myself sound as young and high as possible... I dunno if it works, but it's another attempt...
Another great try. Especially I like the squeaked "hey". But I think in voice acting, young children of either gender are usually played by women. Any womens here want to play a young boy?

Edit: unbrilliant spelling.
Last edited by azule on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

@ED I was able to import my game flawlessly to the new castle.chirpingmustard.com site. Wowterful! Somehow the game became just a little more fun seeing it at our own domain. :mrgreen:

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:@ED I was able to import my game flawlessly to the new castle.chirpingmustard.com site. Wowterful! Somehow the game became just a little more fun seeing it at our own domain. :mrgreen:
1. castle.chirpingmustard.com has been up for several dips. 2. The game's not actually hosted at castle.chirpingmustard.com: that's just a redirect to where it really is. 3. What version number to you see. Because when I go to castle.chirpingmustard.com, I still get version 0.936 on GDrive. But if you're getting version 0.94 on github.io, thats great and you're more fortunate than I.

Oh BTW,

Code: Select all

### 0.941
- removed some version-specific lock-on-load for badges which were made more expensive long ago
- Overcompensating description fixed, ensure it's 105%
- ensure Erosion can't make Wave's destruction negative
- notificaction/sandnumber text 8 points smaller
- always show option descriptions, refresh them if visible after load/import

Now live!

Still yet to fix general tool/boost/badge descriptions to work better (without the mouseover effects) and then finish off the latests boosts.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

I'm getting version 0.94 at chirpingmustard, ED.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:@ED I was able to import my game flawlessly to the new castle.chirpingmustard.com site. Wowterful! Somehow the game became just a little more fun seeing it at our own domain. :mrgreen:
1. castle.chirpingmustard.com has been up for several dips. 2. The game's not actually hosted at castle.chirpingmustard.com: that's just a redirect to where it really is. 3. What version number to you see. Because when I go to castle.chirpingmustard.com, I still get version 0.936 on GDrive. But if you're getting version 0.94 on github.io, thats great and you're more fortunate than I.

Oh BTW,

Code: Select all

### 0.941
- removed some version-specific lock-on-load for badges which were made more expensive long ago
- Overcompensating description fixed, ensure it's 105%
- ensure Erosion can't make Wave's destruction negative
- notificaction/sandnumber text 8 points smaller
- always show option descriptions, refresh them if visible after load/import

Now live!

Still yet to fix general tool/boost/badge descriptions to work better (without the mouseover effects) and then finish off the latests boosts.

It is still great to see it with that address :) I just refreshed, and I am currently seeing version 0.941.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

I'm seeing 0.941 at the chirpingmustard redirect.

pelrigg wrote: [Have these been added to the wiki yet? If not, I don't think OTTmanips would be the right place for them. They need to be some place like a graph page. Some place where they won't get lost in the shuffle.]

I haven't done proper ketchup yet, but I've been thinking of a page like this for a while, something like "OTT Resources" (or some other name) where we can put things like the panoramas, sea-level graphs, molpy-hunting gifs, height analyses, etc. that aren't really manips but rather resources that help(ed) OTTers gain a deeper understanding of Time.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
project2051 wrote:

I played and got a 0 Score. I think I was at 1300 seconds or something. But I did solve it!

As far as I can tell, with scores we're all tied for first. I'll call it good if you solved it, and enjoyed it. (Actually, I'm happy if you just enjoy it, even if you don't solve it.)

Some Ways to Time

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
project2051 wrote:

As far as I can tell, with scores we're all tied for first. I'll call it good if you solved it, and enjoyed it. (Actually, I'm happy if you just enjoy it, even if you don't solve it.)

Really? I tried it this morning and I didn't get a zero score.

I just tried it again. 294 moves, 237 seconds for a score of 445578. I think I had done better the first time around, but I'm not sure.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”