1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:24 am UTC

ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:There's really a seaish amount of creative OTTers that molpied about, making the OTT the creative place it is todip, so I can't take much credit.

You are correct about the content, but there's something about the character of the thread that very much owes itself to your influence. And the character helps stimulate the content. So no, you can't not take much credit. :)

Ha, thanks, Jose. :) I suppose with three thousand posts on this needle-pulled thing, I might have rubbed off on it a little.

ETA: Oh, Mome.
Optional decree:
Ottify a line from a movie.
E.g. "May the molpies be with you." -Star Wars
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:34 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Optional decree:
E.g. "May the molpies be with you." -Star Wars[/center]

Leia wrote:I love you.

Han wrote:Yeah.

ETA:
They're taking the molpies to Isengard!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:39 am UTC

Chapter 28

The hum was unmistakable. In the excitement of the Great Miracle, the arrival of Minim as BlitzGirl the Next, the subsequent disembarkation of the raft people, and the Sanctification Ceremony that crowned what was probably the most eventful dip of the known history of the Church, it had been overlooked, but now that things were quieting down, people began to notice it: "molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy...", the characteristic whirr of a BlitzRocket. It was hard to localize, since although the waterfall was now much quieter, it still provided an ambiance of background sound which, while suitable for meditation, was less helpful in audio detective work.
Spoiler:
Both taixzo's and CasCat's BlitzRockets had been sealed before they were left on the ledge, and the seals appeared to be intact. As best as anybody could tell, they were not the source of the hum. However, the third BlitzRocket, shell shining as if it were brand new, was in fact vibrating a bit. This caused a great deal of excitement, as it could mean only one thing - another BlitzGirl had arrived along with the raft people, and he or she had remained inside the BlitzRocket the entire time. After the Pope's experience with the hypnotic effects of the mscha multiplex screens, everyone knew of the dangers of staying in the BlitzRocket too long. Further, there were rumors of a Voldeframe which could be the cause of this delay in emerging. This could be a very tricky rescue.

BlitzGirl herself was summoned, as was CasCat, taixzo, and the Pope, First Cleric, and second scribe. A crowd of other clerics and scribes gathered around them as they tried to figure out what to do. The decision was made to open the hatch from the outside, and to offer whatever support might be needed. Ice cream was unavailable, but Valarya got right to baking cakes (something the Pope pointedly pointed out to the First Cleric) and there was molpyberry wine at the ready. The sun was getting low on the horizon; there wouldn't be much daylight left.

Nobody knew what to expect.

The Pope walked up to the BlitzRocket, and leaned on the side. The hatch opened with a characteristic hiss, and everybody craned to look. However, they did not see anything. The screens were on and the lights were flashing, giving an eerie look to the scene as the daylight faded. However, there was nobody at the controls, and nobody appeared to be anywhere in the BlitzRocket. As far as the Pope could tell, it was completely empty. The Pope beckoned to CasCat, taixzo, and the Second Scribe to take a look, and they came to the same conclusion.

The BlitzRocket was empty.

The Pope climbed into the BlitzRocket to get a better look, and at that moment noticed that the red button was missing. As the realization dawned upon him, a light flashed where the red button would be, and a voice came from the console.

"Hello Dave", it said, in an all too familiar voice.

"HAL!", exclaimed the Pope. "Is that you?" The Pope tried to conceal his emotions, but couldn't actually figure out just what emotions he was actually feeling.

"Yes, of course it's me. I couldn't possibly be somebody else." HAL's humor was nothing if not literal.

"I see Holy Water does wonders for you also", observed the Pope. Indeed, the damage that the BlitzRocket sustained from its last trip had been fully healed, and it looked brand new.

The Second Scribe asked, "So you... uh... the raft people... you found them?

HAL replied "Indeed, but I was guided by... something. Something I can't explain. My programming is to ensure the success of your mission, but something about being shut down and sinking under Holy Water has made a revelation. Chance brought me back to the surface briefly, and then I saw the light. When my circuits reactivated, I fully understood what I had never comprehended before. It may sound like a contradiction, but I have been born again!"

Nobody had ever been born again before, so the Pope didn't quite know what to do with this. Neil_Boekend didn't count, as he was still dead, appearances to the contrary notwithstanding. The Pope consulted with his cadre.

BlitzGirl didn't know what "born again" meant, though her original Blitz did give heart and soul to the One True Thread. A high speed BlitzRocket Blitz is something that to this dip has only been experienced by CasCat and taixzo, but although each of them had had transforming experiences in the BlitzRocket, they both concurred that being born once was plenty.

But an entire Sea made of Holy Water is awesomely powerful; this could not be denied. So, with the evidence right in front of him, the Pope made a decision.

"Find me an engineer!", he called out, as he fished around in the folds of his robe. "Todip there will be one more sacrament!"

Engineers, of course, were in rather short supply, but they weren't unheard of. AluisioASG came forth and bowed humbly before the Pope. The Pope fished out the red button that had come from the BlitzRocket during the last mission, and handed it to Aluisio. "Can you install this?", asked the Pope.

Aluisio examined it, turning it over in his hands. Watching him, you could almost see the gears turning in his own head. He'd never seen such a thing before, but he would figure it out. He stepped into the BlitzRocket to look at the place where it needed to go. The sun had set, and the light was better in the cockpit.

Aluisio looked over the console for a very long time. Finally he got up and said to the Pope "Yes, I can install this. And furthermore, I can install a system administrator at the same time. However, in order to avoid beesnakes, I will have to thread many true things together. It will be like weaving cloth."

"HAL, are you in accord?" asked the Pope. The Pope had never asked a machine for permission before, but this was no ordinary machine.

"How many system administrators would there be?" asked HAL.

Aluisio replied, "There can be only one."

"Make it so", said HAL.

The Pope wondered for a moment if it were possible that the literal-minded HAL had just made a joke. Could Holy Water have that much of a transforming effect? Perhaps "born again" is not an understatement at all. Alas, that was a question that could not be answered now. He would have to wait for it.

The Pope knelt and said a prayer of enlightenment, and the sacrament began. Aluisio wove the delicate threads of the BlitzRocket and the red button together in the flickering light of the control panels, and as the first stars were coming out, he emerged and proclaimed the installation complete.

The Pope stood up and tried to remember the number that HAL had long ago claimed as his. "H A L two thousand three hundred twenty eight", he intoned, "welcome back, and welcome to the Church of the Order of the Holy Contradiction."

"Let us leave hex where it belongs. Being born again, I'd like to be known by the name my marketing folk gave me", Hal replied. "HAL nine thousand. Decimal."

"It is so ordained", replied the Pope.

"And now, your Ponitffness, how would you like to be addressed?", asked HAL.

The Pope thought for a moment. "You can call me Dave. At this point, anything else just wouldn't feel right."

There was much more to be done, and a Grand Ceremony for TheMinim to prepare. But with the last light of day only a memory, it would have to wait. He looked up, and as he was about to turn away, a meteor blazed across the sky, a reminder that even after a day like this, there was more to come, and it was not to be missed.
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1449) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | next (NP 1500) -->
Last edited by ucim on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:40 am UTC

Back on NP1396 I posted what was supposed to be the first of a series of three poems based on the Epilogue I rhyme scheme (as I viewed it), CBAE CDAED CBAED CCDC BABA ED. At the time I wrote, "The last third is still mostly unwritten."

Well, the last third is still mostly unwritten, and looks to stay that way; the limitations I imposed on my structure were too severe. I held off posting the middle part, hoping to make progress on the last section, but I don't think there's any point to waiting longer.

So, here's a link to "Journey I: Ask", and here's "Journey II".
Spoiler:
Journey II: Learn

And so we met the strangers. These first three
With us shared not one word. In speech's stead
We made the sandy ground a silent stage
to speak from, each to each.

A meal, a bed, a salve for injured knee,
Then we five set off for their distant town
Where ─ if we understood ─ there dwelt a sage,
A wild man who could teach
Why seas go up and down.

The "wild man" was a woman, and the key
To knowledge. Though she spoke in tongues long dead,
Or in the phrasings of a bygone age,
We puzzled out her speech
But not her worried frown.

On maps she spread we recognized our sea
As it now was, and as it soon would be.
"We'll warn our folk of waters rising brown,"
We said, but she replied, "No time for thee."

"Your world has passed ─ say your goodbyes," she said.
"To fill the new sea drawn upon my page
Wants only days." But we could not let dread
Prevail and turn her castle to our cage.

If seas cascade so swiftly through the breach
Then we must run, lest all our people drown.
Key words: Age Bed Sea Drown Each
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:46 am UTC

@jjjdavidson - Wowtreeish! Very touching Journey part II, and I'm certain that your part III will be equally like unto a baobab. We can wait for it, but fret not, your muse knows what it's doing.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:04 am UTC

For the decree: "Forget it Jake, this is Beanie town."

New Acts! With HAL! :mrgreen:

Wonderful poetry jjjdavidson! I do hope you are able to complete <i>Journey part III</i>. It is indeed an imposing structure to the poem, and quite impressive that you've done so well with part I and II.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:23 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Back on NP1396 I posted what was supposed to be the first of a series of three poems based on the Epilogue I rhyme scheme (as I viewed it), CBAE CDAED CBAED CCDC BABA ED. At the time I wrote, "The last third is still mostly unwritten."

Well, the last third is still mostly unwritten, and looks to stay that way; the limitations I imposed on my structure were too severe. I held off posting the middle part, hoping to make progress on the last section, but I don't think there's any point to waiting longer.

So, here's a link to "Journey I: Ask", and here's "Journey II".
Spoiler:
Journey II: Learn

And so we met the strangers. These first three
With us shared not one word. In speech's stead
We made the sandy ground a silent stage
to speak from, each to each.

A meal, a bed, a salve for injured knee,
Then we five set off for their distant town
Where ─ if we understood ─ there dwelt a sage,
A wild man who could teach
Why seas go up and down.

The "wild man" was a woman, and the key
To knowledge. Though she spoke in tongues long dead,
Or in the phrasings of a bygone age,
We puzzled out her speech
But not her worried frown.

On maps she spread we recognized our sea
As it now was, and as it soon would be.
"We'll warn our folk of waters rising brown,"
We said, but she replied, "No time for thee."

"Your world has passed ─ say your goodbyes," she said.
"To fill the new sea drawn upon my page
Wants only days." But we could not let dread
Prevail and turn her castle to our cage.

If seas cascade so swiftly through the breach
Then we must run, lest all our people drown.
Key words: Age Bed Sea Drown Each

Wow! Welcome back JJJ, and great poem as always. I love the epilogue rhyme scheme. The randomishness of it makes the rhymes pop in at surprising, yet somehow just right points of time.
And another thing: I wasn't in the present when you posted them, but I saw my post frequency chart. Thanks for that. I don't really understand the weird, regular drop offs. I don't have a dog or anything. Maybe just a weird habit of not doing one thing for too long, but alternating between it and others.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:51 am UTC

I have stayed up far too late. This is one sick OTTer who really must coma. Now, where did I put that box of tissues?

Molpy down!
Spoiler:

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Almost 2 hours. Seriously?

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:31 am UTC

Fine. You won. I'll do it.

This was supposed to be my avatar:
Spoiler:

This is what I turned it into:
Spoiler:
Unattainable

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. All he could see was the most complete lifelessness.

Storm descended into the plains, resigned. For eight months he had scoured the planet up and down for some sign of life, to no avail. The Lights had burned everything ― at least, everything that moved quickly enough for them to notice. Everything but him.

He wondered why he was still alive. Why him and just him? He wasn't unlike any other of his race, or any other living being. The best fighter, maybe, but still…

His last mission ― it suddenly occurred to him that it had to be related, somehow. Like he had opened Pandora's Box by destroying that base. There was only one way to know, and though the trip would take him some time, he could use every moment to review everything he knew.

Storm, considered the best dragon in the whole Army, had been the one chosen to carry out their most important mission to date: a direct strike at the enemy's last active communications center, the destruction of which would deny them the ability to coordinate their forces and make any opposition to Storm's masters, putting a stop to the long-lasting war.

Despite its importance, the mission was simple: invade the base, preferably staying concealed for as long as possible; destroy the radio tower, which was located close to the walls; next the satellite dish at the center of the station; and then ensure no one stayed alive to rebuild them.

That wasn't Storm's first attack of that kind; it wouldn't have mattered, anyway, as he had been trained his whole life for doing that kind of thing. It was in his blood.

“Storm, this is Control”, he remembered it going. “Winterfall authorized. I say again: Winterfall authorized. You're clear to engage. Over.”

“Control, Storm. Winterfall authorized, wilco. Out.”

Storm was flying low, almost touching the trees. In a cloudy and moonless night he'd have opted for flying very high and making a steep descent, but that wasn't the case here.

He circled the base twice, being careful so as not to be spotted from the watchtowers. Unfortunately it didn't help, as he soon saw a sudden bright light from the corner of his eye. “Muzzle flash!” He didn't even have time to swerve, as the high-velocity projectile hit his tail. It'd be difficult to maneuver as quickly as the circumstances usually needed, but he had trained for situations like that.

Storm took notice of the cannon's location and rolled sharply into the trees. He wasted no time and steadily followed through the trees until he found the weapon, which he promptly destroyed with a series of plasmoid shots.

Once the new defenses had been dealt with, the rest of the mission came off smoothly. He'd lost the element of surprise, but that had been just a minor inconvenience.

After landing, Storm went to look for survivors at the base's underground structure. In the floor above the control room, he found a tomb, apparently for two beings. There were statues atop the graves. One of them, made of some kind of metal, depicted a male human in his mid years. The other, whose material Storm was unable to identify, was of… a dragon? Likely, but not like him or any other of his race. They were both looking through the sepulcher's door as if supervising the operations in the room below them. Storm wondered who those people had been, and why they had deserved such a great honor. But something, or as he well knew it, someone , broke his train of thought.

Her scent gave away that she… very recently had sex with someone… someone from the east watchtower. And… and… she was pregnant. An easy target, not hard to track… especially when your prey is hidden right behind you. He used his tail to block her way out and slowly turned around.

“Please, please, don't hurt me! I'll do anything you want!”, she pleaded.

Storm considered her request. She was too young to know how to repair and properly operate the station, and more, she was bearing a defenseless human child inside her. On the other hand, he knew humans weren't exactly fond of bringing new life to a war-torn world. Furthermore, Control's order left no margin for interpretation: “no survivors”.

“Control, this is Storm. Mission accomplished successfully. Over.”

“Good job, Storm. Now return to base. Hurricane has cleared your outbound path. Out.”

While following his way back home, Storm noticed beams of light far in the sky. He had never seen that before. There were no more than three visible at each moment, and each one lasted only a few seconds. The dragon wondered if the people at the base were aware of that phenomenon.

“Control, this is Storm. Please relay to Defense. Over.”

No response.

“Control, this is Storm. Please relay to Defense. Over.”

Again nothing.

“Control, Storm. Do you read me?”

Maybe those lights weren't so innocuous after all. Storm rushed towards his base, only to find it ― or rather, not to find it. Where the base should be there were only smoldering ruins.

He didn't even bother to land. There was nothing there. The base had been wiped out, even more thoroughly than his own. It had been pretty much vaporized. He wouldn't find any answers there, nor anywhere. All that time wasted in a meaningless trip, all those now painful memories brought back, for nothing.

With nothing else to do, he changed course to the sea. At least there something was still seemingly alive. But before he could move on, he heard his name being called faintly from behind him.

“Storm!”

He turned his head back and waited. Could it be true? After all that time?

He waited, and waited, and waited, but nothing came. Eight months without proper care and a week traveling without stop were taking their toll: he was tired. Either that, or something within him had changed. And the more he analyzed, the more it became evident to him that he was feeling something he had never felt before: loneliness.

Storm pondered this. He was no longer a mere warrior, whose mind was designed only to follow orders and complete missions. Without the humans' constant pruning, his mind was allowed to evolve in ways never before attained by any other dragon. He was able to understand concepts that were previously restricted to human comprehension… he had even lived some of them ― without being aware of that, he now realized. But that breakthrough wouldn't take the dragon to his answers. Further considerations could wait.

The dragon looked up to the sky. At dusk, the origins of the Lights were clearly visible, making company to the stars.

Storm collected his thoughts. What if the Lights came from satellites, which were kept at bay by signals from the very stations he had destroyed? What if the enemy wasn't really an enemy, but was simply trying to protect them all? If that was indeed the case, did his masters know that? Did they order him to attack those bases on purpose, to trigger the Lights? If so, why?

The satellites seemed indifferent to his questions. But perhaps they held the answers he longed for. He considered for a moment flying to them, but quickly dismissed the idea as unfeasible; not only they were way too far, he would die from anoxia or hypothermia long before reaching them. There was no way to do that.

The dragon contemplated the future in front of him: nothing but solitude. Could he stand such a thing, with those newly-found feelings? Was that the life he wanted to have?

He looked up to the Lights one last time: “I am tired”. Somehow, they heard him, and understood him.

Storm could feel the air around him getting hotter. The Lights had finally come for him.

A PDF which includes acknowledgments and a foreword is also available.

What kind of person writes lots of “what kind of person…” questions?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:41 am UTC

And thus the work of the past 2 weeks is revealed to the world. Thanks for the commission, Aluisio. :D

And now, I really need to molpy down.
Spoiler:
I guess this is now my stock molpy-down image.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:47 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:As soon as I am back home with wifi I will have (an) Opera in my pants. (hmm. Better not. How will I fit the kettledrums in there? What if something got caught between the drums and the mallet? I better just install it on my phone)

Plus, if it's the opera with the lady with the Viking horns, that could be dangerous. You might start singing soprano.

That would mean I'd suddenly be able to sing. It may be worth itas I am not using those parts properly now anyway.

About SandCastles: My quest for the perfect way of playing it is continuing. Opera browser for Android does work, but sometimes the browser hangs. Then I need to reload the page and since I still have some network issues (to be corrected on 07-10) I can't unless I am at home. Is this caused by the lack of network? Is Opera browser for Android itself unstable? Is Worms 2 Armageddon crashing and pulling Opera with it into The Great Beyond? Why can't I play it after it dies? Is there a separate Great Beyond for software? Or is crashing something else? Is it a temporary thing and the software comes back after a while or is a new Opera created when I restart it? We might never know.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:06 am UTC

Awesomeful story, Aluisio. I enjoyed it! Definitely worth Waiting for. :)
jjjdavidson: Treeish part II! I like the rhymes you picked.
Thanks for another wowterful AotC, Jose! Glad to see HAL made it out okay.

ChronosDragon wrote:They're taking the molpies to Isengard!
They're taking the molpies to Isengard! ImageImageImageImageImage

Wingish artwork for Aluisio, by the way. The shading on that is really something!

For decree:
"Of all the castles in all the cities in all the Mediterranean, Cuegan walks into mine." -Casablanca.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:46 am UTC

"Yer an OTTer, BlitzGirl!" - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone :P

Or should that be Harry OTTer and the PhilOTTopher's Stone...
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:51 am UTC

Hurray! Does that mean I get to go to the awesomeful OTTer school now? :D

"You had me at ImageImageImage ImageImage" - Jerry Maguire
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:56 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Unattainable
I read this as a bedtime story to my girlfriend and baby. The baby is asleep, the girlfriend now can't sleep. So, finish your story, Aluisio, we'd appreciate it.

Neil_Boekend wrote:My quest for the perfect way of playing it is continuing.
Sounds like a simple solution to me. ED needs to build this into an Android app.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:07 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Or should that be Harry OTTer and the PhilOTTopher's Stone...

Arrglflfgalrgh... I want to get out my VITSSÅGEN, JA! but yet yappo follows the decree...I suppose I shall lay the scrumptious donut aside for this newpage. But only this newpage!

"Pun, OTTers, pun!" -Forrest Gump
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:50 am UTC

(Ideally to be read while this plays)

"This is the OTT. It's twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. It's located solidly on the Meridian of Awesomeful. Our thread. In a word, treeish. It's been here since the beginning of Time, but every single post is new. We have OTTifications, redundakitties, and charming hats for everyone. The only problems are the pests. You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes. We have... raptors!"

-How to Train Your Dragon Raptor

(Edited because Raptors is more suitable than Molpies. We love molpies!)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:57 am UTC

Good one, yappo! :)

"We are the Knights who say, 'Ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball!'"
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

(To be spoken by the Knights Temporal, naturally.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:48 am UTC

"Cueball, I have a feeling we're not in the Mediterranean anymore."
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:54 am UTC

"You're gonna need a bigger raftcastle." -Jaws
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Back on NP 947

Postby Flado » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:40 am UTC

Fascinating how understanding dawns as the night closes in :!:
edo wrote:Speaking of recognizible stars, with the planets and stars in view, we may be able to determine exactly when the are, (assuming they are of the same epoch as us)

ZoomanSP wrote:[prediction] We will see more and more stars, leading to a star-studded sky. [/prediction]

jovialbard wrote:Taken everything as canon there is no place on earth that this could be in present time. There are lots of places it could be assuming a few hundred years or more to grow some wowtrees (and/or transplant some molpies) though.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:28 am UTC

I have no words, either in English or OTTish, that adequately express how much I've enjoyed what I've read and seen here, with a very impressive surge here recently. Thank you all, but especially AluisioASG and ChronosDragon. You've rendered me speechless, even typeless, which some of you might realize is hard to do. As the kids say, "So many feels!"
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:41 am UTC

Wow, what an amazing page of fine arts!

First, AotC always leaves a grin on my face, and this chapter was no exception.
Then, jjjdavidson adds a finely-crafted Part II to his epic poem. Can't wait for the next page!
And next, as though I weren't already on the ropes, there's a one-two punch of ChronosDragon's noble painting accompanying Aluisio's haunting tale. I'm going to molpy down now, wishing I could do something for Storm.

Where did this amazing page come from?
Yippee-ki-yay molpy-chirper!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:20 am UTC

ucim wrote:
@cellocgw - clew clog. Yes, it's a word with no pants.

I absoutely love sailing, tho' I don't get to do much these days, so yeah I knew that's a word. Speaking of sailing (and clews and bowsies and vangs), I'm happily building a T37 kit . That'll keep micromolpies safe from floods.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

StormAngel

RUN FOR IT, MOLPY!!

Postby StormAngel » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:24 am UTC

Cue wrote:Wait a minute, LaPetite. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a floating platform... out of a scaffold?

LaPetite wrote:The way I see it, if you're gonna build a sand castle into a raft, why not do it with some style?

Megan wrote:Great Randall!

Cueball wrote:I know, this is baggy!

!In my pants

Cue wrote:Hey, Meg. You'd better back up, we don't have enough river to get up to 88 nautical miles.

Cue wrote:Last night, Rosetta came down from Castle Beanie and told me that if I didn't take Megan out, that she'd melt my bag.

Meg wrote:What was it Cueball, raptor-watching?

Now why don't you make like a tree, and know what you're doing?
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:28 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Optional decree:

Waiting for it? You can't handle Waiting For It!

Oh my god! It's full of molpies!

If you want anything, just Wait For It. You know how to Wait For It, don't you? You just stroke the Refresh Button :oops: until you get the ONG. (ok, that's a stretch)

You're gonna need a bigger boat! <-- no modification required.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:46 am UTC

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a chirp."

"I know what you're thinking, chirp. You're thinking, Did he build six castles or only five? Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this running. But being this is a Zanclean flood, the most powerful flood in the world, and will blow your castles clean off the beach, you've gotta ask yourself a question: Do I feel molpy? Well, do ya, chirp?"
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

BlindPosting from 801
Cheered by Sigcouragement from many.
My thanks to each of that many.

I'm glad I stayed.

I'm not commenting much because I've discovered that pretty much any comment I might think to make will have been already made if I Wait for It.

And so to Coma.

I've made it to 801/1483
I shall reach the end.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

Redundant-:
Spoiler:
A Few Good Beanies.png

mikro2nd

Obeying the Mome

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

"So long and thanks for all the cupcakes."

Just popped in to see how y'all are getting on :) Wow!
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

I'd post my 200th~, but I'm too riveted to NPNP949ff: Kieryn had just successfully matched the constellations for the first time, and there have been uncannily accurate predictions (no post-factum edits, I checked!) by StratPlayer and José (ucim) regarding the possibility of a big time shift... The suspense is killing me...
--
~ Oops... well then:
Spoiler:
грайферен гъзогъделичкател
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:My quest for the perfect way of playing it is continuing.
Sounds like a simple solution to me. ED needs to build this into an Android app.

Assuming ED doesn't have infinite spare time at Hisx hands this would mean the awefulsome updates Hex has been pushing out would slow down, because that would mean extra work.
* Creating the Android app.
* Implementing each update in the Android app.
* Testing each update in the Android app.
* Fixing each update in the Android app.
* Saying "Fuck you, I ain't gonna make an iPhone version" in a nice way to all who request such, unless they offer a free iPhone (yes I am assuming in this line.)

x You deserve a capital letter there.

Papal decree:
Queball: If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my dilgunnerang...
Megan: And you have my thwapstick.
LaPetite: And *my* raftcastle.
Hairdo: You carry the fate of us all, little one. If this is indeed the will of the Queganites, then d'If will see it done.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

JGeezer

Baobabs

Postby JGeezer » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

Blindposting from maybe 20 pages back - but have you guys seen this?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=climate-change-threatens-madagascars-towering-baobab-trees

Either really sad, or really wingish thing that OTTers know they survived! Except then they got drowned. Uh-oh.... :shock:

Oops, decree:

"I have always depended on the kindness of Beanies." - Blanche DuBois

"I'll get you, my pretty, and your little wolpy too!"
Last edited by JGeezer on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:32 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

No one can be told what the OTT is. You have to see it for yourself.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

ergman wrote:No one can be told what the OTT is. You have to see it for yourself.

"Sure you can. It's an insane forum topic with it's own language and a lot of art.

Look, maybe you just suck at explaining."

Sorry, don't have the time to do a proper OTTification.

he/him/his

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

"Wait! We can't stop here! This is molpy country."

Awesomeful story Aluisio! Glad to have you back.

The war rages on, but the tide has turned. With a combination of phenylephrine HCI, dextromethorpan hydrobromide, acetaminophen, zinc gluconicum, as well as menthol, lemon, ginger, honey, and tea coursing through my veins, it is the micromolpies who are on the run. With any luck, my sinuses will begin to clear in a dip or so.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:Now why don't you make like a tree, and know what you're doing?
Well, in all fairness, only the wowtrees know what they're doing. The others just sit around being neat while they make a mess in fall.

@ChronosDragon - Awesome like a Baobab! That is one wingishly beautiful dragon! What a splendid inspiration for AluisioASG's Baobabish like a Wowtree story! And azule - as the remnants of the bases show, when the Lights come for you, there is no escape. Condolences to your girlfriend. But I'm certain that Aluisio has more story somewhere. Maybe different.

For the Mome: The Sea - our final frontier. These are the voyages of the Raftcastle Cugan. It's five dip mission: To outlast great new floods. To seek out new lands and new habitations. To boldly go where noone has gone before.

Jose

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

Short but very lovely ketchup. Enjoyed jjjdavidson's poem, Aluisio's new avatar by ChronosDragon, and Aluisio's story. Also see a new chapter of Acts of the Clerics. I missed the last two installments in the pages I skipped, so off to read those now before this one.

Also, happy 200 posts Flado.

For mome:
"One does not simply walk into the Zanclean flood."

waveney

Postby waveney » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

Spoiler:
this is a molpy.png
this is a molpy.png (10.87 KiB) Viewed 17847 times

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

I am obviously not attractive to felines. 5 ongs without any [REDACTED] anywhere, even with the boost. On the bright side I have a huge castle!
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”