1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Your Mome Has No Decree For You

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:30 am UTC

*googles*


:shock:




Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Brain, you have failed me!

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:30 am UTC

I... I thought I saw another post on this page after the mome post. But it's gone now. Am I imagining things?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:32 am UTC

I saw it too. It was a wowterful flash fiction piece by Aluisio. Now mysteriously vanished...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:39 am UTC

Me three. The newpage must be leaking...
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
adnapemit
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:05 am UTC
Location: The wrong timezone.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby adnapemit » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:51 am UTC

HES wrote:Me three. The newpage must be leaking...

Theres a leak?!? Run for the hills!


Spoiler:
100th post!
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:53 am UTC

Happy 100, adnapemit!

I saw the fleeting post, but didn't think much of it at the time. I sometimes have difficulty keeping the timestreams straight anyway, and posting in alarm every time I misremembered my spacetime location would get old after a while.
Image

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:56 am UTC

See, the naughty word leaked out of adnapemit's post as well. Call an engineer, stat!

Spoiler:
Image


This is also an apology for reading your name as armpit this whole time...
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
adnapemit
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:05 am UTC
Location: The wrong timezone.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby adnapemit » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:04 am UTC

HES wrote:
This is also an apology for reading your name as armpit this whole time...


That's ok since its a modified version of my usual username, even I read it as addpermit

Also due to the leak the naughty word seems to have slipped forward in time, I tried to catch it this post but maybe it will turn up later.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Time After Time: t1i-0565

Postby mscha » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:30 am UTC

ONGRATIATE...
Image
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:38 am UTC

Behind, or at the back of?
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

been a while

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:00 am UTC

rONG
Image
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:19 am UTC

Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:19 am UTC

It's called "Slippery Slope" but surprisingly has nothing to do with icy sliding sports.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:21 am UTC

That was lightningly fast, Lightning Lass!
I was going to add, “I won't make the obvious OTTfication” .
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:27 am UTC

New othercomic? I definitely need to molpy down.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:29 am UTC

Nah, it's too soon to molpy down.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
macraw83
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Present (L:13)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby macraw83 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:34 am UTC

Wow. Almost 11 mips later, the OTT is still going. I fell away from my blitz in August, when classes started (note: never be a full-time student and a full-time engineer simultaneously). Back when I was last actively blitzing, I got into the habit of getting my OtherComic fix whenever I encountered that moment in the OTT, and as a result I am now about 8 mips behind in the OtherComic. Now that I finally have the time to consider spending on things I want to do instead of things I have to do, I've decided to give this blitz another go. But even then, I was expecting to blitz in silence, not even sure if that was a thing anymore. But I've seen a few things that have spurred me to continue, little bits of information scattered throughout headers and signatures. Such as Karhell, who says he's 160 pages behind as of 25 pages ago, and BlitzGirl, who says she still has to ketchup. And then there was still a piece of sigcouragement from Earthling on Mars, meaning I have not been completely forgotten in my struggles to stay current in my Blitz (although, being in image form, it is very likely that it was easier to just leave it anyway):

Spoiler:
Image


I am very glad that it seems as though the OTT still has the same charm that kept me captivated for mips on end, even now that (I assume) the OTC ended a good while ago. I sincerely hope that, one xip, I will actually be in the present again, contributing to whatever-awefulsome-shenanigans-y'all're-up-to-these-xips.

Here goes nothing!

ETA: A portal appears from the future! (Warning: portal leads to NP 1892)

Image

Spoiler:
Portal NP1758.png


ETA2: I'm hiding this attachment from the far-future here for use in a PM:
Spoiler:
CM.com alpha.PNG
Last edited by macraw83 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:43 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Text-based OTTification substance

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:39 am UTC

I could spend a few minups making the obvious OTTification of the latest OtherComic, but what's next? Making Other OTTifications of Other OtherComics? Where does it **d? It could add up to NOPIX spent OTTifying.

Oh, wait, I already did spend a lot of Time OTTifiying
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:39 am UTC

Welcome back, macraw83.
A thousand timeframes will pass by, and then another thousand timeframes, and the Cardinal Tempus Viator will still not have ketched up.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:43 am UTC

Hurray, it's macraw83! Bboz dr yndn!
It's wowterful to hear from you again. :D

Last we heard of your blitzing, you were at the original cairn... I was afraid you'd run afoul of Lucky...Image

Time to do some sigcouragement!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6819
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:12 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:Wow. Almost 11 mips later, the OTT is still going. I fell away from my blitz in August...
macraw83!!!!!! Welcome back! The Second Scribe hasn't forgotten you, and sends you a huge hug! Just goes to show that all good things come to those that Wait For It!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:58 am UTC

I love when blitzers use past OTTish slang. Nomolpy's used the word xip since Visitationmip* as far as I can tell.


*November
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Time After Time: t1i-0566

Postby mscha » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:30 am UTC

LAWMONGER...
Image
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:31 am UTC

Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Zanclean Zodiac"; ᔪ--

Postby azule » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:31 am UTC

« Frame 0A: NP1754:36 | » Frame 0C: NP1760:21

The Zanclean Zodiac

Image

_________________

We have nothing to fear but t** **d of Time.

_________________

I feel like chatting. Hi. Did you xuys know that I've implemented a game, of sorts, here? If you need to know the rules, let me know and I'll say something about it in the next post.

In lieu of actual chatting, here's some lurkreplies (that is to say, I didn't need to ketchup, just couldn't post (that is because I'm a silly molpy)):

mrob, I found it surprising that you were so affected by t** **d. I had thought you had already seen all of Time, just not all of the OTT. I guess I was wrong. *pat*

NoMouse, I've been waiting for almost a year.

GLR wrote:Image
Title text: "Just to be clear, this image does not update every hour."
Quoted for posterity. Plus, it will update every 4 hours (which is much better for a sleep cycle and for his poor wrist). During the beginning of Time I was averaging 4 hours of coma at a time. :) Also, I believe GLR is teasing us as we approach Time II. 8-)

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
from here
Luís Vaz de Camões
“Love is a fire that burns unseen,
a wound that aches yet isn’t felt,
an always discontent contentment,
a pain that rages without hurting,

a longing for nothing but to long,
a loneliness in the midst of people,
a never feeling pleased when pleased,
a passion that gains when lost in thought.

It’s being enslaved of your own free will;
it’s counting your defeat a victory;
it’s staying loyal to your killer.

But if it’s so self-contradictory,
how can Love, when Love chooses,
bring human hearts into sympathy?”

― Luís Vaz de Camões, Sonetos de Camões


<snip/>

Ahhh azule - 'twas you with the pan-viewer. Steakish - I'm looking forward to more of it.
Thanks. Me too. Thanks for the quote in the spoiler. Quite cool. (Thanks to Aluisio for the original link.)

HES wrote:
ucim wrote:Probably the first time I have actually LOLd at an internet posting.

This has happened to me a few times, but only ever within the confines of this thread.
It has happened plenty for me here. Possibly other places, but that would be heretical to talk about.

pelrigg wrote:It looks like azule is planning something special for his 1000th OTT post.

(I've had a couple two-three stories floating in my noggin for the past couple months [mips? or is mips = moments/minutes? My OTTish has never been real strong.] which I hope to somehow, somewhen pry out of the quagmire that is my brainpan. However, don't hold your breath Waiting. It could take quite a while.)
You will have-known it. Thanks for then-noticing. :)

Looking forward to any stories. I like the word somewhen, thanks. I don't know what minutes are, but mip is supposed to be month. It could be mix. Then we could have statements like "I've been in ketchup for a mix" and "next mix I'll get my mustard in a row".
HES says minute(ish) is minip. I remember that now.

newpixbot wrote:ONGODLIKE...
I like the concept of an ONGod.

balthasar_s wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:IT'S NEWPIXBOTTIFICATION TIME!

<snip/>

It shouldn't be very difficult to guess what I'm preparing to.

So, nobody guessed what I'm planning to do?
V jnag gb oyvgm gur 1370 haernq cntrf bs gur guenq!
I'd like to ask for advice from those who managed to do it. What should I prepare? Are there any unexpected dangers?

Well done newpixbOTTificationing. This seems like magic to me. *looks at source code* Yep, still magic.

I must have flown right past "what I'm preparing to do". Looking at it now, yes, it does seems like starting at the beginning. There's meaning there. Sorry, I thought it was just a really cool manip. :) Good luck!

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Image

Ooh, now I wonder how much truth there are in these. mrob, can you come to my rescue?

lmjb1964 wrote:Well, I'll just assume that, like me, everymolp was ties up with family for the holidips. Though hopefully not literally tied up, like I was.
FTFYbecauseIknowhowscaryyourlifeis. I think it was slow because I wasn't posting. I am really loved here. Without me even BlitzGirl can't save it. ;) :P *scampers off to have fun with his delusions* FutureNote: You xuys survived. :(

KayZ wrote:lmjb: Laura's Molpies Juggle Baobabs
Image

And for valentines, the heart of of a molpy time lord:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLFf_SwaK4&t=2m
Haha, funny anim.
Thanks for the clip. I'm gonna try that at home.
FutureNote: still haven't tried it. :( Here's an OdeTiTy about baobabs (that I did way long ago):

Image

Spoiler:
tree-OdeTiTy.png
This is a sturdy rock. It will make a great home.


Another batch in 2 posts. ;)


Edit: Added next and previous frame links.
Last edited by azule on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:33 am UTC

airdrik wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
SBN wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Probably semencoffeebaconstarsandbabiesonice.

I think Cuegan might have found their next castle project... Image

But does it need painted?

Have we produced enough paint in the whole history of mankind to fill the Mediterranean Sea?
Or, more likely:
Have we produced enough paint to cover the Mediterranean bassin if we drained it first?
Or:
If we made a wall from all the paint ever produced in the Straights of Gibraltar would it be strong enough to hold back the ocean?
Spoiler:
Technique: paint a layer and let it dry. Paint another layer and let it dry. Repeat.
Actually: Has there been enough time since we invented paint to build up a 900m layer that way?


As the Mediterranean basin is about the same size (rough Fermi measure) as the US, then yes we could use all of the paint that has been made to paint the Mediterranean basin (taking another look, it is quite a bit smaller, so while we're at it we can probably drain and paint the Black, Caspian and Red seas and the Persian gulf and paint those as well).

As for painting a wall/bridge across the Straights of Gibraltar, it looks like they are about 10 miles wide. 10 miles * 900 m is about 15 Mm^2 (MMmm...), so dividing the 9 Tl = 9e9 m^3 of paint by that gives us about 2 Km tall wall (should be tall enough). In fact we could easily build a paint-bridge across the straight as wide as the pieces of land it connects and still have room to spare).

But would the wall be strong enough to form an actual wall? In dried up form? (liquid paint doesn't form a sturdy wall)
According to the Internet a coat of paint is approximately 0.005" thick. In metric that is 0.127 mm. The straights are 900 m deep. 900,000 mm. That is approximately 7,000,000 layers of paint. If we divide the area from the what if over those layers each layer is 1.3 square km.
The straights are 14 km wide at the smallest point (I assume widening over the thickness of the wall is compensated for by the fact that its not 900m deep over the complete width of the straights.)
This means the wall would be approximately 100 m thick on average. Does anyone know how high the pressure rating of a 100 m thick layer of paint is?

As for the time required to apply this wall: Can't find any sources for it but a layer of wood paint takes approx 6 hours to dry, going on memory. This means a maximum of 4 layers a day can be applied. 7,000,000 layers means approximately 5000 yips. That means we should have started before the beginning of Time and that is impossible because there is no such thing.

And now for something completely different:
Yes timepanda. And I was very happy to get a score of 1. Chirp that hotdog is difficult.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
adnapemit
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:05 am UTC
Location: The wrong timezone.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby adnapemit » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:04 am UTC

Yes timepanda. And I was very happy to get a score of 1. Chirp that hotdog is difficult.

Glad so many people are enjoying it :twisted:

I tried to make it just as difficult as the original but I have found that the difficulty varies a lot for different internet browsers and computers.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

User avatar
waveney
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:28 pm UTC
Location: The Far South of England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby waveney » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:58 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
SBN wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Probably semencoffeebaconstarsandbabiesonice.

I think Cuegan might have found their next castle project... Image

But does it need painted?

Have we produced enough paint in the whole history of mankind to fill the Mediterranean Sea?
Or, more likely:
Have we produced enough paint to cover the Mediterranean bassin if we drained it first?
Or:
If we made a wall from all the paint ever produced in the Straights of Gibraltar would it be strong enough to hold back the ocean?
Spoiler:
Technique: paint a layer and let it dry. Paint another layer and let it dry. Repeat.
Actually: Has there been enough time since we invented paint to build up a 900m layer that way?


As the Mediterranean basin is about the same size (rough Fermi measure) as the US, then yes we could use all of the paint that has been made to paint the Mediterranean basin (taking another look, it is quite a bit smaller, so while we're at it we can probably drain and paint the Black, Caspian and Red seas and the Persian gulf and paint those as well).

As for painting a wall/bridge across the Straights of Gibraltar, it looks like they are about 10 miles wide. 10 miles * 900 m is about 15 Mm^2 (MMmm...), so dividing the 9 Tl = 9e9 m^3 of paint by that gives us about 2 Km tall wall (should be tall enough). In fact we could easily build a paint-bridge across the straight as wide as the pieces of land it connects and still have room to spare).

But would the wall be strong enough to form an actual wall? In dried up form? (liquid paint doesn't form a sturdy wall)
According to the Internet a coat of paint is approximately 0.005" thick. In metric that is 0.127 mm. The straights are 900 m deep. 900,000 mm. That is approximately 7,000,000 layers of paint. If we divide the area from the what if over those layers each layer is 1.3 square km.
The straights are 14 km wide at the smallest point (I assume widening over the thickness of the wall is compensated for by the fact that its not 900m deep over the complete width of the straights.)
This means the wall would be approximately 100 m thick on average. Does anyone know how high the pressure rating of a 100 m thick layer of paint is?

As for the time required to apply this wall: Can't find any sources for it but a layer of wood paint takes approx 6 hours to dry, going on memory. This means a maximum of 4 layers a day can be applied. 7,000,000 layers means approximately 5000 yips. That means we should have started before the beginning of Time and that is impossible because there is no such thing.


There are some issues I forsee in the paint wall project:

There are many types of paint, many are water soluable, painting the wall underwater might be "difficult". Also there is no "wall" to piant.

Paint is probably not very strong, it would need reenforcing with something. Now the Esteemed What if does mention the problems of paint and sand. Now sand for sandcastles is non heretical. So perhaps if we mix paint with sand we could make some large blocks. These could be cast into rectangles with two rows of four pips on top and using a range of colours. A giant Lego Set would then be made.

These blocks would then be built by children (aged 21+) using cranes and thus the Dam is made. It could last 11,000 years until some child wonders what-if I take this block here.

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:11 pm UTC

adnapemit wrote:
Yes timepanda. And I was very happy to get a score of 1. Chirp that hotdog is difficult.

Glad so many people are enjoying it :twisted:

I tried to make it just as difficult as the original but I have found that the difficulty varies a lot for different internet browsers and computers.

For me much of the difficulty lies in the fact that it goes up when you release instead of when you press. This adds a random delay because I havent managed to switch to actually timing the release. When timing is important, as for example between pipes, the delay is far more than when it isn't that important. Chirping madness.
waveney wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
SBN wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Probably semencoffeebaconstarsandbabiesonice.

I think Cuegan might have found their next castle project... Image

But does it need painted?

Have we produced enough paint in the whole history of mankind to fill the Mediterranean Sea?
Or, more likely:
Have we produced enough paint to cover the Mediterranean bassin if we drained it first?
Or:
If we made a wall from all the paint ever produced in the Straights of Gibraltar would it be strong enough to hold back the ocean?
Spoiler:
Technique: paint a layer and let it dry. Paint another layer and let it dry. Repeat.
Actually: Has there been enough time since we invented paint to build up a 900m layer that way?


As the Mediterranean basin is about the same size (rough Fermi measure) as the US, then yes we could use all of the paint that has been made to paint the Mediterranean basin (taking another look, it is quite a bit smaller, so while we're at it we can probably drain and paint the Black, Caspian and Red seas and the Persian gulf and paint those as well).

As for painting a wall/bridge across the Straights of Gibraltar, it looks like they are about 10 miles wide. 10 miles * 900 m is about 15 Mm^2 (MMmm...), so dividing the 9 Tl = 9e9 m^3 of paint by that gives us about 2 Km tall wall (should be tall enough). In fact we could easily build a paint-bridge across the straight as wide as the pieces of land it connects and still have room to spare).

But would the wall be strong enough to form an actual wall? In dried up form? (liquid paint doesn't form a sturdy wall)
According to the Internet a coat of paint is approximately 0.005" thick. In metric that is 0.127 mm. The straights are 900 m deep. 900,000 mm. That is approximately 7,000,000 layers of paint. If we divide the area from the what if over those layers each layer is 1.3 square km.
The straights are 14 km wide at the smallest point (I assume widening over the thickness of the wall is compensated for by the fact that its not 900m deep over the complete width of the straights.)
This means the wall would be approximately 100 m thick on average. Does anyone know how high the pressure rating of a 100 m thick layer of paint is?

As for the time required to apply this wall: Can't find any sources for it but a layer of wood paint takes approx 6 hours to dry, going on memory. This means a maximum of 4 layers a day can be applied. 7,000,000 layers means approximately 5000 yips. That means we should have started before the beginning of Time and that is impossible because there is no such thing.


There are some issues I forsee in the paint wall project:

There are many types of paint, many are water soluable, painting the wall underwater might be "difficult". Also there is no "wall" to piant.

Paint is probably not very strong, it would need reenforcing with something. Now the Esteemed What if does mention the problems of paint and sand. Now sand for sandcastles is non heretical. So perhaps if we mix paint with sand we could make some large blocks. These could be cast into rectangles with two rows of four pips on top and using a range of colours. A giant Lego Set would then be made.

These blocks would then be built by children (aged 21+) using cranes and thus the Dam is made. It could last 11,000 years until some child wonders what-if I take this block here.

The sea bed is the surface to paint on. Layer upon layer upon layer. 7 million layers s acked upon each other should produce a 900 m high wall. That may have enough strength to hold back the ocean. It would be like a 100 m thick massive rubber wall (although it would probably be 175 m on the bottom and only 25 m at the top because the pressure increases with depth)
That is besides the fact that your your legoses solution is more brililousserder.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Time After Time: t1i-0567

Postby mscha » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

PONGUID...
Image
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

User avatar
balthasar_s
Posts: 2378
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:20 pm UTC
Location: secret base on the Moon
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:11 pm UTC

I'm on np 353. The castle on the second floor is being built.
Biltzrpeort #8 np 353
BOB
So many titles, Blitzgirl. So many.
I think the color version is less bleak. Wow, OTColor so early.
A temporal warning.
The True Followers of Time's time

A fake GLR. completely unnoticed.
Message from the future: Hey Blitzgirl, please join the Temporal Hypotheses and Intelligence Society.
So, we will have had a Temporal Hypotheses and Intelligence Society...
Now he is noticed.

Grpah of Blitzgirl's blitzing progress. I think we also had other graphs?
Some kind of extrapolation: get some datapoints, choose arbitrary two, connect, extend the line. Extrapolated!
HAL9001 gets the monolith hat. This is clearly a reference to something.
First (?) idea of scripts reading the thread.

Ancient text. One of the time loops is closed now. It feels as good as a closed parenthesis.
503 mustard in the otc.
wow

digits of pi mapped to pixels
If you cross your eyes, you can see a 3D sailboat! A reference to the colorblindness test with the sailboat?
People are discussing possible ways to loop after the end. epilONG analysis before the epilONGs!

We did a better job of posting new frames here while the image server was down than we've done since it came back up.
He's not making a sandcastle, he's making a sand rook. The platform is a giant chessboard.
If Z is one meter maybe they are jamming the boards into the sides of the universe for better stability.
castle in castle

There are hills!
ARE THERE OTHER RIVERS?
Must be a deserted island with an IKEA... That seems pretty normal, IKEA is everywhere, after all.
This avatar!
tag mismatch -> BBcode is killed -> Singularity!

Vytron the next blitzer.
Book of time. Book of time. I will have to look at the book of time somewhen.
activity
3 Or, possibly, get you a burned steak. so that's where steakish comes from?
I wonder if cueball is really an AI powered by BBCode...

First idea for pagepope.
More blitzgirlgraphs
lifting sand by buccket onto the 2nd floor
bucket elevator!
newpage is called newpage for some time already; didn't notice when it started
Aaaa
```~~**~* !whirly time ripple! *~**~~``` And whistle again.
And suddenly, they are voting for Time frames!

Perhaps the universe is 2d at the right, turning 3d left of the dike.
geek wagon has frame difference now

still the Biltzrpeort #8 np 353

When I strated blitzing it was a bit difficult, because it was missing all the things I remembered from the future. But then I liked it. And the thread constantly evolves. It already changed from its first stage of chaos and entropy to an even better level of chaos and entropy! And this:
balthasar_s wrote:Another thing to think about are the signposts. It's fun to read the comments from the past. But you can only very rarely see me commenting on things here. And living in the past will propably not change this. Of course when I don't write anything it doesn't mean I don't like it. There are so many things I like. But I don't know what to say. So I don't say anything.
Looks like it isn't true. each iteretion of my blitznotes.txt is growing faster. There are so many things. I'm afraid at some point it will be too much for me, so much that it causes a buffer overflow which puts me back to my almost completely silent mode from my early days on the thread as a form of defense.

Database. I'm adding early ottifications to the database. I like the database. It's easy to add things and doesn't take too much time. I like the ottifications by newpage view. very helpful.
http://178.79.159.24/Time/ottification/1001/ Now we have over one thousand ottifications in it. I did something wrong and the ottification doesn't appear.
http://178.79.159.24/Time/ottification/1006/ I typed the wrong framenumber.
I noticed a bug in the database. When the browser window is small, the menu on top of the page is replaced by a menu button. But clicking the button does nothing. It's just a link to the tof of the page.

end of Biltzrpeort #8 np 353

mrob27 wrote:I encouraged him to develop his own approach, to avoid propagating any bugmolpies or design flaw-mustard in my solution.
Probagation of bugmolpies. I haven't thought of that. But now, when you mentioned it I was reminded of this story from the Otherskycircle university of technology:
Spoiler:
Ok, so you need to write this thing. Have seen the progam from the these guys. It's something completely different. But the main scheme of deciding what to do is basically the same, so you could just reuse it and save yourself a lot of time.
...
Ok, here is the code, now I just have to cut out this. And this, and this and this and this and this. Wow, almost nothing left.
...
Looks like everything is working fine, we already got 20... wait, WHERE DID THIS COME FROM? And what is THIS? And...
...
Oh, hey. I kind of reused your code, and it does some weird things, I think you should know.
Ah, yes, I know, When x is greater, than [...] and you're at he end of the loop and [...] then [...].
Good that you know about it. Have your fixed it?
No, this condition never happens in our data so I didn't have to.
But you know how to fix it?
No. absolutely no idea. And it wasnt me who wrote it, BTW.
...
Ok, I think I'm starting to understand what this is doing here. Just why does this guy like variable recyclingR so much?
...
Finally, everything back to normal!
...
Hey, do you remember the program you showed me x months ago?
Yes, I remember it too good. There was a bug hidden in it.
That's why I came here. I adapted it to use it in my [...] and when x is greater than [...]...
Yes. (where did I put this ..., ah, yes it's here!). Take this. Change this into this. don't ask. don't try to understand. It's madness.
Thanks. And, btw. I also gave it to the guys from [...] ...
Aaaaaaa.........


Yes, the bugmolpies like to propagate. and they will apperar even if they were fixed and long forgotten in the original. WeW call it the "error preservation rule" In polish it's "prawo zachowania błędu" and it's a pun because it sounds very similar to "prawo zachowania pędu" which is the famous "momentum preservation rule".
So, bug propagation is one of the fundamental laws of the world.
mrob27 wrote:He was a bit surprised at my praise of his ЯOЯЯIM TTO. I'll just explain that I'm very impressed at things that I cannot do, and setting up a server mirror (or something like it) is one of those things.
It's something I couldn't do either. I learned it thanks to the OTT. When making the newpixbOTTification I had to use cgi and downloading. Then I wanted to blitz. I knew that you have bots that help you, however I had absolutely no idea how they work. I started writing bothasar_s sometime when your bot offered me help. I finished it about 2 blitzreports later. Then I realized that what i'm doing is actually keeping fragments of the OTT on my server. So, why not the whole OTT? All that has to be done is to download, convert a little, relink and store the newpages on the server (Well, not exactly, because the stored newpages look more like this, however bothasar_s is generating his reports as normal htm files). You are not very far from this. You are already downloading the newpages, analyzing and putting the results on your server. If you could do this, you're just one step away from something like this.

I'm going to change how the mirror displays the pagenumber links, so that they will always be up to date, even on newpages downloaded days ago. So don't be surprised if the newpages will appear to be broken in the close future.
I'm also going to add a button which you can use to tell bothasar_t to revisit a newpage. (After a temporal edit or something like that. of if the newpage is broken for some reason.)

W That's me and my polish friends
R variable recycling. Whan a variable is no longer needed until the end of the loop and you reuse it for something else.

Edited because quote tag fail. And also typo.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2845
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Ch*rped Information

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:58 pm UTC

HES wrote:What? I send my 140 character messages through digital birdsong.

I don't actually, but it sounds like a treeish idea.

What a vulgar app! I wonder if it can send m*stard.
BBC News wrote:They want the word "to chirp" to enter the vocabulary, they see a future where you pay for a can of drink with a chirp, where crowds at events receiving mass chirps over the tannoy or radio audiences hold their phones up to be sent chirped information.

Well, you already can pay for a drink with a ch*rp if you're really desperate... and mass ch*rps already exist if you're into that sort of thing... and why on earth would you want your information to be ch*rped!?
BlitzGirl wrote:


Image

Well, obviously, doesn't everything?

Baobabs, macraw83 is back! Hi :mrgreen:

azule wrote:
Spoiler:
Image

It's LaPetite Prince! :P Surprised that hadn't been done before. Treeish!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:32 pm UTC

Oh noes, the 503 atack again! Quick, man the trebuchets!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:51 pm UTC

azule wrote:Did you xuys know that I've implemented a game, of sorts, here?

No.

azule wrote:If you need to know the rules, let me know and I'll say something about it in the next post.

No need. We can wait to find out.

azule wrote:In lieu of actual chatting, here's some lurkreplies (that is to say, I didn't need to ketchup, just couldn't post (that is because I'm a silly molpy)):

I know the feeling.

azule wrote:It could be mix. Then we could have statements like "I've been in ketchup for a mix" and "next mix I'll get my mustard in a row".

I'm all for it. You'll just have to remind me.

azule wrote:
newpixbot wrote:ONGODLIKE...

I like the concept of an ONGod.

I heard it goes by the name of newpixbot.

azule wrote:I am really loved here.

So far, so good.

azule wrote:Without me even BlitzGirl can't save it. ;) :P

Now that is almost the heresy of the heresies; next you'll say we need no stinking GLR 'cause we have you.
I'll go off to learn about Calculus and Trees get some truffles in a couple hours half an hour. BTW see how it's done, ucim?

azule wrote:FutureNote: You xuys survived. :(

We were waiting for you, silly molpy! Y'know we're good at waiting!

azule wrote:FutureNote: still haven't tried it. :( Here's an OdeTiTy about baobabs (that I did way long ago):

What's an OdeTiTy?

Post fast then.

balthasar_s wrote:I'm afraid at some point it will be too much for me, so much that it causes a buffer overflow which puts me back to my almost completely silent mode from my early days on the thread as a form of defense.

There's no bandwidth limit on this side of the line.

balthasar_s wrote:I noticed a bug in the database. When the browser window is small, the menu on top of the page is replaced by a menu button. But clicking the button does nothing. It's just a link to the top of the page.

Maybe the Foundation equivalent to not including the required Bootstrap plugins?

yappobiscuits wrote:and mass ch*rps already exist if you're into that sort of thing

Not at that scale, I think

yappobiscuits wrote:and why on earth would you want your information to be ch*rped!?

More importantly, how does one do that?

yappobiscuits wrote:Well, obviously, doesn't everything?

Bacteria?
(I'd include viruses, but those have a quite destructive relationship.)

balthablood, is the postbot ready?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:04 pm UTC

It seems that the 503 have already left. They must be afraid of the trebuchets!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Time After Time: t1i-0568

Postby mscha » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

LENONGRADER...
Image
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

503? That explains why I didn't have any coma visions last night, my brain downloads epsilon straight from the thread.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:16 pm UTC

Oh hey, I can log in!
Hi Macraw! Happy blitzing!

So what's your game, Azule?

Oh and hey, square root of -Garfield! I forgot about that since it was last linked here. Thank GLR the thread is cyclical.

And to some old earlier point, I think my tarot came before the OTTer map. I'm in a boat because that's traditional for the six of swords maybe. Ask ggh, or read the original post (in my sig)
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:43 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
mrob27 wrote:He was a bit surprised at my praise of his ЯOЯЯIM TTO. I'll just explain that I'm very impressed at things that I cannot do, and setting up a server mirror (or something like it) is one of those things.
It's something I couldn't do either. I learned it thanks to the OTT. When making the newpixbOTTification I had to use cgi and downloading. Then I wanted to blitz. I knew that you have bots that help you, however I had absolutely no idea how they work. I started writing bothasar_s sometime when your bot offered me help. I finished it about 2 blitzreports later. Then I realized that what i'm doing is actually keeping fragments of the OTT on my server. So, why not the whole OTT? All that has to be done is to download, convert a little, relink and store the newpages on the server (Well, not exactly, because the stored newpages look more like this, however bothasar_s is generating his reports as normal htm files). You are not very far from this. You are already downloading the newpages, analyzing and putting the results on your server. If you could do this, you're just one step away from something like this.

*reads buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo computer magic Buffalo buffalo*
I don't understand it, but I'm sure it's molpish to those who do speak computerese! :D

azule wrote:Here's an OdeTiTy about baobabs (that I did way long ago):
Spoiler:
Image

Awesomeful! Image It's treeish to have you chatting again, azule!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
balthasar_s
Posts: 2378
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:20 pm UTC
Location: secret base on the Moon
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

I made changes to the mirror Now this
Image
will be up to date on all newpages, not only the recently downloaded. If you looked at the mirror during the latest newpix, you could observe various kinds of newpage display mustard.

Yesterday I took my 3.5 year old sister and went on an adventure. Three were treeish trees. Jumping over riverish rivers. What I found interesting is that her questions about the rivers, and everything else were a bit cuegan-like.

BlitzGirl wrote:*reads buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo computer magic Buffalo buffalo*
... and now I typed buffalo instead of the fora password . . .
Redundant
Spoiler:
pagelinks.PNG
pagelinks.PNG (1.35 KiB) Viewed 12454 times
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 101 guests