1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

yappobiscuits

The OTTscars Voting

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:34 am UTC

Ladies, Gentlemen and Molpies. I am proud to declare the First One True Thread Awards Ceremony, or "OTTscars", officially open!

In celebration of the Timeiversary, the OTTscars are designed to be a treeish and fun way to look back at the highlights of the first yip of Time, via an awards ceremony with varied categories for just about anything that could've happened throughout the yip. Some are awards for OTTers themselves, others for objects/other things.

So here's how it's gonna go down. The categories are listed below with a brief explanation of each. After careful consideration, send your votes to me via PM. (Voting will be anonymous, don't post them in the thread!) You can have multiple votes in each category if you can't decide on just one, but be reasonable and try to keep it as low as possible. I'll say 5 at the most, as a guideline but not a hard rule. Don't worry if you can't think of anything for a category or don't want to vote in a category either, just leave it blank.

Voting is open from NOW until Midnip on Randix, Advent 15th. (OHT*: Monday, March 10th)

*Outside Heretical Time

The votes will then be counted up, and if there are categories where no single clear winners have emerged, there will be a second round of voting for these categories only instead of a free vote there will be a selection of nominees to choose from. This second round will be open for voting from Onglessdix, Advent 18th. (Mar. 13) to Riverdix, Advent 27th (Mar. 22).

In the unlikely event that a second round of voting is not required as winners are emerging in every category, submission of regular votes will re-open for this period.

The actual awards presentation ceremony will be held on the Timeiversary itself, Whifdix, Innocence 1st (Mar. 25). Prepare your smartest hat, and roll out the carpet that is coloured a beautiful red!

The categories:
Spoiler:
OTTer Awards

Basementee Award: An "absent friends" award for OTTers who've disappeared for whatever reason. Who no longer posts but left an imprint on the community? Who do you miss the most?

Silly Molpy Award: Certainly not the "dumbest OTTer award" (there are no negative awards here), but perhaps most eccentric, goofiest, or ditzyest OTTer. We're all rather mad here in the OTT, but who goes beyond the call of duty? Whose posts sometimes make you think "What in GLR's name have you been smoking?"

Clever Molpy Award: Award for the most intelligent OTTer. Whose posts manage to get you making an audible "hmmmm" sound due to the intelligence involved?

Funniest OTTer: Whose posts always give you a good chuckle? Who always has a witty comment at their fingertips?

Kindest OTTer: Who always knows the right thing to say when someone's feeling steambottlish? Who's the best at making you feel warm and fuzzy and molpish inside?

Geekiest OTTer: OTTers are proud of their geekiness, but which OTTer seems to be the most knowledgeable about geeky subjects?

Chatty Molpy Award: It's all RELATED, so nothing is truly off-topic in the OTT, but who never seems to coma and is always on the OTT all the Time? Whose post count seems to rise inexorably through their constant chatter?

Blitzer Award: Reading it ALL is a noble tradition for an OTTer to undertake. Which Blitzer's journey do/did you enjoy following the most? Whose signposts are/were the most enjoyable to read?

Overall Creator Award: OTTers are known for being a creative bunch. Who is your favourite overall creator, artist, ottifier, writer etc. in the OTT?

Artist Award: Who's your favourite creator of specifically visual artwork, be it original art, ottified art, ottercomics, manips etc?

Wordsmith Award: Who's your favourite creator of specifically written artwork, be it stories, poems or songs, original or ottified?

The "Stand Back, I'm Going To Try Science" Award: An award for the best creator of tools, analyses, scripts, databases or any other useful, interesting or generally geeky stuff.

Best Username: Whose username do you think is the cleverest, funniest, or best-sounding?

Best Avatar: Whose avatar do you think is the best-looking, funniest, cutest, or most well-made?

Best Sig: Whose signature do you think is the cleverest, funniest, best-looking or most interesting?

Collaborative OTTing Award: An award for two or more OTTers who worked together as a team at some point to make/do/solve something. What's been the most impressive feat of collaboration/teamwork in the OTT so far?

The Great Lord Randall Award for Outstanding Awesomefulness: A special award for the OTTer who has gone the extra mile and done/made something(s) exceptionally wowterful. (When submitting votes, vote not only for the OTTer but also for whatever it was they achieved that makes you feel they deserve this special accolade!)

The Davean Award for Services to the OTT: Another special award similar to the above, but for the OTTer who has done the most in selflessly serving and helping the community in whatever way.

OTT Awards

Gimmick of the Yip: From Double Dactyls to C**kie Cl*cking, bag puns to Rot13, the OTT has had many crazes over the course of Time. Which was your favourite?

Meme of the Yip: Similar to the above, but for a meme which surpassed being a mere passing craze and became an integral part of OTTish culture.

Best Wild Theory: There have been many attempts at predicting the future of the OTC and OTT, some accurate, some less so. This is an award for those that weren't at all accurate but were funny or clever. What's your favourite wild theory that has been put forth?

Most Accurate Theory: As above, except this one is for predictions that were so eerily accurate you'd think the OTTer that made it could've been a Time traveller.

Biggest Understatement: A similar "theory" award... Who, perhaps in earlier dips, clearly didn't realise how huge certain things would become? What comment is hilarious to read in hindsight?

Favourite Newword: We've come up with a lot of OTTish terminology over Time. Which newword is your favourite?

Best OTT Quote: There have been many great quotes from OTTers over the course of Time. Which do you think is the greatest, or funniest, most sig-worthy, or should be put on a plaque on the OTT wall?

Best Creative Work: What's your favourite single piece of artwork, song, poem, manip, whatever, created by an OTTer?

Best Analytical Work: Some of the cleverer molpies in the OTT have made detailed analyses of everything in the OTC from astronomy to language and geography. Which did you find the most impressive/interesting?

Best Tool: Similar to the above. A lot of tools/external sites have been created for viewing/experiencing/analysing both the comic and the thread, or for helping/enhancing the community experience in some way. Which do you think is deserving of recognition?

Best Smiley: We use a lot of smileys in the OTT. Whether they be a RELATED one found outside the thread, or one created especially for the thread, which is your favourite?

Best Firstpost/Delurk: Who made a big impression with their first ever post? Or whose firstpost was the cleverest/funniest?

Best Decree: Of all the papal decrees, which was the most fun to follow, or produced the most interesting or most enjoyable responses?

Best Newpage(s): RELATED to the above, though this is for your favourite newpage or series of pages of the OTT not necessarily spawned through a treeish decree.

OTC Awards

Favourite Newpix: Which frame of the comic is your favourite? (mscha numbering)

Favourite Character: Who's your favourite character, human or molpy, from the comic?

Best OTC Quote: Your favourite line of dialogue from the comic.

Best OTC moment: Which part of the story did you find the most exciting, moving, gripping or generally enjoyable?

Outside Awards

(The outside may be heretical, but we all have to go there sometimes. Let's find out OTTer's favourite non-OTTish things from the past yip. You can vote for anything released from the beginning of Time up till now.)

Best Movie:

Best Music Album:

Best Video Hotdog:

Best Book:

Best TV Show
: This one doesn't have to be a show that started after the beginning of Time, but one that was still running or had a season after the beginning of Time. Basically your favourite show that was on at some point during the first yip of Time.

Best XKCD Othercomic (post-Time):

Best What-if (post-Time):

Best OtherOthercomic:

Best Otherwebsite:

It's All Related
: For an outside something that is/became the most RELATED.

Outside Treeishness Award: An extra award for any other outside thing you may have discovered and enjoyed that doesn't fit into the above categories.

Happy Voting!

Redundant:
Spoiler:
OTTscars.png

redundakitty55.jpg
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:53 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0618

Postby HES » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:37 am UTC

Previewninjad, you're welcome for the goat there.
mscha wrote:LATCHSTRONGS...
Spoiler:

Google suggests it could be the call of a tufted titmolpyraptor.
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:46 am UTC

Tufted Titmouse... *giggles*

Thanks for that, Hamply! I was Waiting to post that.

Papal decree is an obvious one. Start thinking about your votes!

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:05 am UTC

It's been a long time, but seeing the post about the OTTscars on the facebook page brought me back for a minute. I'm afraid I'm too busy with life and school to be of any real use here, but I just had to stop back in and say hello. I still think fondly about all of this and I have trouble believing it has almost been a year since this thing started. I hope everyone is doing well.

I guess I'll show myself back to the basement now. I've gotten use to it. It's actually kind of cozy down there :D
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:08 am UTC

Baobabs, it's a Goggalor! Hi! :mrgreen: Treeish to see you again.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:20 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:I guess I'll show myself back to the basement now. I've gotten use to it. It's actually kind of cozy down there :D

Randamnit, we need to get that lock fixed!

Ch*rp, another OTTer (and a Prime Elder at that) whose name I read wrong. I thought you were "Gogglator", as in one who gogglates. Whatever that is. :oops: :roll:
Last edited by HES on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:32 am UTC

I always read his name correctly, but for the longest time I thought his avatar was a guineamolpy, when it's actually a bisonmolpy...
I saw the two white bits at the bottom of the hat as the eyes, and the eye of the bisonmolp as the nose of the guineamolp... d'you see it?

HES

Kind of

Postby HES » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:34 am UTC

If I squint and turn my head slightly, no.
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:39 am UTC

I just can't unsee a lil guineamolp face.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:41 am UTC

I see it, but the horn throws me off. Of course, now I can't see the bison either.

Now I see a guineamolp with a really bad tumor...
He/Him/His Image

macraw83

2898: The Newpix that Time Stood Still

Postby macraw83 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:47 am UTC

PANIC!! Image

Redundant smileyspoiler:
Spoiler:
panic-emoticon-small1[1].gif
panic-emoticon-small1[1].gif (3.32 KiB) Viewed 10105 times

ETA: False alarm, thank Randall. Newpix was merely late (as you obviously know).
Last edited by macraw83 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Eternal Density

Treeish!!

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:49 am UTC

Should we link to the OTTscars announcement in http://www.reddit.com/r/xkcd ?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:50 am UTC

Uh oh, fetch the icecream! ETA: Oh, that panic. Better have the icecream to hand anyway, it won't be long.

Back to the decree, what's the difference between

The "Stand Back, I'm Going To Try Science" Award: An award for the best creator of tools, analyses, scripts, databases or any other useful, interesting or generally geeky stuff.
and
Best Tool: Similar to the above. A lot of tools/external sites have been created for viewing/experiencing/analysing both the comic and the thread, or for helping/enhancing the community experience in some way. Which do you think is deserving of recognition?

Isn't that a llittle redundant a little bit? (Actually, I keep having redundant answers. Maybe I'm doing it wrong)

ETA: Acknowledgement of yappo's response below, because it doesn't deserve a post of its own: Ah.
Last edited by HES on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:28 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:04 am UTC

HES wrote:Uh oh, fetch the icecream!

Back to the decree, what's the difference between

and

Isn't that a llittle redundant a little bit? (Actually, I keep having redundant answers. Maybe I'm doing it wrong)

One is for the creator, the other for the tool itself. In the same way there's a "best artist" and "best artistic creation". Like, if there was an OTTer called Kevin who made OTTish cutlery. You'd vote for "Kevin" in the best creator award but "Kevin's spoon in the shape of Cueball" in best creation.

Damn, now I want OTTish cutlery...
Eternal Density wrote:Should we link to the OTTscars announcement in http://www.reddit.com/r/xkcd ?

I don't see why they'd be interested.
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eternal Density

Probably not.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:06 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Should we link to the OTTscars announcement in http://www.reddit.com/r/xkcd ?

I don't see why they'd be interested.

In case there's any basement dwellers look there but are not lurking either here or facebook.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:21 am UTC

Well, being unfamiliar with reddit I didn't know there were any OTTers there, but if there are then I suppose you could if you want.

HES

At least now isn't hashed

Postby HES » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:22 am UTC

The latest comic is certainly REALTED: compare these posts
WK1, 1190 wrote:I looked at the Response when one does a HEAD Request for http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png. It gives a 301 Moved Permanently response. If Randal intended to change it, he would have used a 302 Found Response.

bers, 1335 wrote:imgs-xkcd-com-comics-now-png (link below the comic) is a 301 redirect (moved permanently). I cannot imagine a better example to illustrate that this should be a 302 redirect (moved temporarily).

I don't know a thing about 30Xs, but it was epsilon to come across both of these within a nopix.

And with that,
Spoiler:
stupid hotlink protection
Molpy down
Last edited by HES on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:27 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
He/Him/His Image

macraw83

OMGLR!!!!

Postby macraw83 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:25 am UTC

They're in France!

Oh Randall... now I'm nervous for The End of Time...

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:37 am UTC

That gif... Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:59 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:That gif... Image

It is indeed quite astonishingly hilarious. I have to wonder, though, what circumstances prompted the cat to keep its mouth open. In my experience, cats tend to open their mouth only for short periods of time, when yawning or vocalizing. Funny cat pictures are, all too often, staged, sometimes at the expense of the cat.

ETA: Definitely not being coerced to write this by my friend Catherine who is sitting on my lap. Nope.

Eternal Density

Re: At least now isn't hashed

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:17 am UTC

HES wrote:The latest comic is certainly REALTED:

What is real ted???

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:18 am UTC

I voted! Did you?

Patzer perouses the forum! Care to visit this old thread, Patzer friend? Vote while you're here!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: At least now isn't hashed

Postby SBN » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:33 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:

What is real ted???

Much better than artificial ted.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:43 am UTC

ergman wrote:I voted! Did you?

Patzer perouses the forum! Care to visit this old thread, Patzer friend? Vote while you're here!

o hai OTTers.
Was just in the middle of writing a PM to yappo with my votes when I noticed this, actually.

:)
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

adnapemit

Related movie no one has watched

Postby adnapemit » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:45 am UTC

SBN wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

What is real ted???

Much better than artificial ted.

Excellent
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:50 am UTC

*peeks through basement door*

peek.png
peek.png (69.49 KiB) Viewed 9994 times
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0619

Postby mscha » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:30 am UTC

SOCIOLONGUISTS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:35 am UTC

balthasomething - Absolutely treeish animationsplat!

As to categories - "best synchronized posting" reminded me (as it ought) of syncronized swimming, something I still don't understand. But "best exchange" might be treeish - a set of posts (each responding to the previous) that stands out.

Also, in voting, one should be mindful of the past - that is, it's easy to remember recency and forget what once was (except for a few of us going backwards), so maybe make an effort to consider "best of {whatever} in the 1st... 2ns...etc 500 NewPages of the OTT.

HES wrote:Ch*rp, another OTTer (and a Prime Elder at that) whose name I read wrong. I thought you were "Gogglator", as in one who gogglates. Whatever that is. :oops: :roll:
Did the same thing myself. I got it right now, but I don't know how long I'll be able to hold on to that advanced knowledge without continued visits by the Gogg him(or her)self!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:47 am UTC

Yes, debasementeers! Is there a way to make the door to the basement only open from the inside?

At any rate, at least stay until the anniversary.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:44 am UTC

Baobabs! Is the anniversary almost upon us?!
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:50 am UTC

Welcome bach,addict!

*hides from punsaw*
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

macraw83

Re: FloodONG

Postby macraw83 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:52 am UTC

CasCat wrote:Image

I had Pastposts to respond to, but... now is not the time.

Eternal Density

according to google translate

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:54 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Welcome bach,addict!

*hides from punsaw*

La sierra de juegos de palabras, sí!

Ninjedit:

Emergency Ice-cream Cake for macraw83!

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Zanclean Zodiac"; ᔪ--

Postby azule » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:32 am UTC

« Frame 0E: NP1768:25 | » Frame 10: NP1777:13

The Zanclean Zodiac

As the river slowly recedes, ᑲᓄᕋ slowly emerges. Drawn out by the overbearing crab grass, it begins its meal. With the pace afforded by a long life, ᑲᓄᕋ tends its newfound land.

I fell one dip and couldn't get back up.

Lurkreplies:

This is hard waiting for it. To post, that is. That's what she said, that is to say.

On the musings that the panpix is a work of GLR: Everyone's right. It's him. He is purposely misleading us by creating a well-done "manip" then introducing OTT-style mustard. He is using our usual font instead of his pen. He is reusing poses from Time.

I like the subtle color in your colpix, balthasar.

ergman, was it you with the_biggun comic? You linked to AuthorComic#23, but it doesn't appear to be that one.

ChrDr, is that an ottification of 482:Height?

kenmelken wrote:Perhaps in a few months after I graduate I'll come back and visit more. :P
That's cutting it close. Timeversary is soon.

Eternal Density wrote:Should it become... a sandbox game?
Yes.

ucim wrote:M&M: Molpy and Molpy (the law firm that later became Molpy, Molpy, Molpy, Molpy, Molpy, Molpy, Molpy, Molpy, Grapevine, and Grapevine)
That is the best evar! I guess this whole time it's been an advertising jingle for a law firm. But what the heck is snake and sea? hehe.

yappobiscuits wrote:Not if people are mature and gracious about it. I know this community is huge on inclusiveness and equality, which is great, but I think choosing not to go ahead with this idea just because people might get upset over not getting anything is taking it a bit too far.
I believe we don't have a good track record for that first statement being true. Sorry. I think the record also shows us getting upset when others are not included.

yappobiscuits wrote:Forgive me if this is harsh, but I think anyone who gets upset over that has a lot of growing up to do. Besides, there would be varied categories similar to those on the otherforum I linked to, so lots of chances for everyone! And it would of course be a very informal affair. I just think it would be a nice way to acknowledge and look back at a year of Time by letting people vote for their highlights of the thread so far!
It is true that we all have a lot of growing up to do. (Don't forget your recent statement that you tend to "hide" when something you say goes awry.) Honesty about this is important. The record shows we just shouldn't do things the way others do. We give presents on our 'versaries. I don't see why this should be any different. Is there some creative solution where the individuals claim their own reward and maybe bestow it upon others? *shrug* I'll get back to you.

yappobiscuits wrote:I think these are starting to get too specific, but I do think a general "Collaborative OTTing" award is in order.
Actually, more specific would be better.

lmjb1964 wrote:So, you probably don't want a category for "Best funny response that you started to post, but then you saw that you'd been ninja'd, but you decided to post it anyway because yours was a little different."
Exactly. This goes better with the semencoffeecancerbaconbabiesonice theme of the OTT. It would please me.

HES wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:Hi y'alll, there is a new Othercomic available for OTTification. But it will not be too easy because its actually a HTML table of individual GIFs. Have fun!
http://xkcd.com/1331/

The mobile version uses a static png by the looks of things.
Really? I hadn't seen any verification that mobile displays a static png.

BlitzGirl wrote:

Painting the castles black
We're painting the castles black
Why does the sand
Stick to the brush
Soon we'll find the black
Is all but sand
We're painting the black paint sand

macraw83 wrote:I am very glad that it seems as though the OTT still has the same charm that kept me captivated for mips on end, even now that (I assume) the OTC ended a good while ago.
Yes, we are still charming (though we lack charms) but oh randz, you haven't seen the end? :( I'll just go hide.

yappobiscuits wrote:
azule wrote:
Spoiler:

It's LaPetite Princess! :P Surprised that hadn't been done before. Treeish!
Thanks. but FTFY.

BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:Here's an OdeTiTy about baobabs (that I did way long ago):
Spoiler:

Awesomeful! Image
Thanks. :) Literally, right? ;) Don't punsaw the trees, though. It wasn't their fault. :x

BlitzGirl wrote:It's treeish to have you chatting again, azule!
Oh, whoops, the treeish is down here. Nevermind. lol. It's funny, maybe y'all didn't need a present present, if that meant my absence. My girlfriend basically feels the same way (I made her wait for an Outside present). hah.

ggh wrote:Just a quick hi: Hi!
Me: nearly recovered
Little Wonder: recovering
iBook: possibly dead

azule: I was distracting from my failure to tarot, not an edit. Also, Awesomeful!

ED: I'd like this site to be easier to use and with more graphs and just slicker in general. I don't know what the market is for for this, but it seems like there could be quite a few nervous mums like me, no?

Loved the quotes - yay! And finally looked up what allons-y means. (yes, I'm ashamed I didn't know.)
Damn, can't snip much out of this quote. hah. Oh, I didn't know the little one got sick (just that it was likely). Salud!! Your iBook is now an iPaperWeight. *poor taste* I hope the "awesomeful" for me was for my surreptitious reply, as the reply was mostly in jest and an excuse. *apologies* Cool calculator thingie. Just from reading the title....I must be a fretful mother. lol. I guess my little squeaks needs sun...but yeah, afraid of UV and sunburn too. Okay, learned something about French and Dr. Who. But why is he speaking French, isn't he English?

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ucim wrote:Also, did anybody notice http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22741&start=7360#p3540923? An external otty.

Ha! Not all that different to mine but still made me laugh.

It was good, but yours is much better. They misspelled molpy twice, misused baobab, and didn't even curse correctly. Plus, no One True Font.
Don't hate on our outlying otters. We misspell mopy often enough ourselves. How is baobab misused? It can be a material. No OTF, sure, not so good, but at least some of the font sizes could have been more pleasing (but it happens).

k.bookbinder wrote:Miraculously, in my quest to find better employment, I think I may have actually succeeded. I certainly I hope that I have since I have left my previous employer, and begin my new job tomorrow. It will certainly be an adventure, as I am taking a position I have never held before, in an industry I know next to nothing about.
Congrats on snagging such a position. Welcome back.

HES wrote:If I squint and turn my head slightly and cough.
It had to be done. Or did it?

ucim wrote:What If there were a Time II... </dream>
Does using only a closing tag mean all that proceeds it was a dream?

NoMouse wrote:Another related Drawception game - my attempt on Othercomic 271:

Well done. It could so easily be an OTTification by changing the 'm' to a 'q'. :)

So, there it is:

Spoiler:
powers_of_one-OdeTiTy.png
Don't question it.

Edit: Added next and previous frame links.
Last edited by azule on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

taixzo

Re: according to google translate

Postby taixzo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:11 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
taixzo wrote:Welcome bach,addict!

*hides from punsaw*

La sierra de juegos de palabras, sí!

Google Translate translated this as "Saw puns, yeah!"

...I saw what you did there. Well, if I must:

Sawn of the Dead
Skysaw
Saw Trek: Into Darkness
Sawrenity
Sawnado
Sawing Private Ryan

Oops. Wait, if BlitzGirl uses the Vitssagen, she'd be joining in!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:41 am UTC

azule wrote:I believe we don't have a good track record for that first statement being true. Sorry. I think the record also shows us getting upset when others are not included.

Well that's where we disagree strongly. What record? Charlie leaving? That's literally the only instance I can think of, and that was highly unexpected and saddening for us all, not usual fare in the slightest.
azule wrote:It is true that we all have a lot of growing up to do. (Don't forget your recent statement that you tend to "hide" when something you say goes awry.) Honesty about this is important. The record shows we just shouldn't do things the way others do. We give presents on our 'versaries. I don't see why this should be any different. Is there some creative solution where the individuals claim their own reward and maybe bestow it upon others? *shrug* I'll get back to you.

Everyone in the world has some growing up to do. It doesn't make us all incapable of functioning as normal human beings and requiring constant sheltering. You seem to be forgetting that we're all different, independent people. One of the greatest things about the OTT is our diversity. We were brought together by the OTT but we weren't all born in it. We're not all fragile, sheltered little children who can't handle anything but rainbows-and-unicorns positivity. One reason I love this place more so than anywhere else on the vast interwebs is that my experience with internet communities has been that they're always either A) Full of intellectual types who can get overly cynical and negative, but at least the discussions are intelligent and interesting, or B) Full of very kind, positive people but without any meaningful discussion or any real honesty due to fear of offending someone. And one thing I've always loved about the OTT is that it's a rare gem that in my view has the best of both worlds without the negative sides of either. It's full of kind, positive people but who are at the same time intelligent and interesting and genuinely kind and positive, not just repressing huge amounts inner negativity for fear of offending anyone, which is what I tend to encounter in the "B" scenario. Sure, we're not 100% positive, nowhere is. We have our moments of sadness, or more serious discussions (like this one right here) but we deal with it well, and what we never have is the classic sign of an immature community - drama. I really don't know where this idea of yours that OTTers are all delicate fragile juvenile creatures who can't function as normal mature human beings has come from, but it saddens me to see that you feel this way and have so little faith in our community.

No, I genuinely believe that even though we try to keep things as positive and inclusive as possible here, it's not because we can't handle it otherwise, it's just because it makes it a really nice place to be. I think the fact we are so flame-free here is precisely because our level of maturity is higher than your average internet community. On the rare occasions we do have some kind of issue, we deal with it calmly and diplomatically, quenching the embers as quickly as we can. I think (based on what I've experienced in other, less mature internet communities) if we really were as immature as you seem to believe, the positive, calm nature of the community would be just a facade that easily breaks down when any repressed negativity bubbles to the surface, leading to many a bout of drama. I've seen it all over the internet. But not here. This place is genuinely different. And that's why my faith in the OTT community remains strong.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Ninja'd by a serious Yappo comment.

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:43 am UTC

Not sure if it's been posted in here yet, but New Othercomic.

taixzo wrote:Oops. Wait, if BlitzGirl uses the Vitssagen, she'd be joining in!

Luckily I have a contingency plan:
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:55 am UTC

Edit because I forgot to say, "Look! Here is that pastpost that I was going to post in the past.Even though that past has passed, I'll still post this post.

AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:*scratches head*

Lets try this:

XML is a way to describe documents (or currently, data) such that computers can understand them. For example, consider this invoice:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

CRN Chronos Industries
[LK-INT: LKGNWT 52]
52 Northwest Lake Rd
Providence, RI, United States of America
+809 554.2474

To:
TPRGFZT Dr. Doktor Gefrorenzeit
TH Preservation Research
[LK-INT: GBRIRS D43]

Invoice Number: 13145342
Invoice Date:   21 October 2039

Item                            Unit Cost   Quantity  Price         Subtotal
Temporal phase-shifting system  USD 5400.30 2         USD 10800.70  USD 10800.70
694.3 nm ruby laser             USD 290.12  5         USD 1450.60   USD 1450.60

Grand total: USD 12451.30
Payment terms: [LK-INT]

Poor guy couldn't figure out how to receive his packages from the Moroccan gate so he just put his LK-INT address.

This could be translated to XML as follows:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<invoice id="13145342" date="2039-10-21" xmlns="https://example.com/lkgr/intaff/invoice" xmlns:lk="https://example.com/lkgr/stuff">
  <provider>
    <entity>
      <lk:id>CRN</lk:id>
      <name>Chronos Industries</name>
    </entity>
    <location>
      <lk:loc>LKGNWT 52</lk:loc>
      <street>52 Northwest Lake Rd</street>
      <town>Providence</town>
      <state>RI</state>
      <country>USA</country>
    </location>
    <tel>+809 554.2474</tel>
  </provider>

<customer>
    <entity>
      <lk:id>TPRGFZT</lk:id>
      <name>Dr. Doktor Gefrorenzeit</name>
      <super>TH Preservation Research</super>
    </entity>
    <location>
      <lk:loc>GBRIRS D43</lk:loc>
    </location>
  </customer>

<items>
    <item id="18262">
      <name>Temporal phase-shifting system</name>
      <unitary-cost>
        <price>
          <unit>USD</unit>
          <value>5400.30</value>
        </price>
      </unitary-cost>
      <quantity>2</quantity>
    </item>
    <item id="29971">
      <name>694.3 nm ruby laser</name>
      <unitary-cost>
        <price>
          <unit>USD</unit>
          <value>290.12</value>
        </price>
      </unitary-cost>
      <quantity>5</quantity>
    </item>
  </items>

<terms>
    <lk:internalpayment/>
  </terms>
</invoice>

XML combines the efficiency of text files with the readability of binary files.

This XML document could be, in turn, transformed via XSLT into, lets say, a web page:
Spoiler:
Nope, I ain't doing that by hand. But Wikipedia has an example.

Therefore, it follows that if you can beat a furry into submission until it becomes a XML document (some casting may be necessary), then you can transform the result into its component documents (an human and an animal, I think, but not necessarily) or into something cute (like an empty XML document).

I think I lost my grip on reality somewhere after the second sentence. Here, let me distract you with a dragon head a traced from somewhere.

Thanks, Lu! That XML Sucks page was pretty funny. And I must say, that seems a very reasonable price for a temporal phase-shifting system.

Good luck finding your grip on reality.

buffygirl wrote:Hey Ya'll!

Just checkin in to say -- watched the final episode of Lost (yes, we've stretched it out for a year). Not as disappointing as I was lead to believe. Sorta disappointed in its lack of dissapointedness....

MWAH!

Yay. it"s buffygirl! I still haven't seen Lost. One of these dips.

macraw83 wrote:OMR, SO MUCH GOING ON! Castle-delving, meeting Beardo (who might actually be Hairdo instead), who actually is somewhat of a translator. And the OTT is discussing narrating the OTC as well as putting it to music! And I am inching ever-so-close to NetWeasel's signature reference point<snip snip>
Anyways, no time to find a picture of a sleepy molpy, so I'll just borrow this one from lmjb on NP 1117. Image

I do worry about macraw when he reaches th* *nd. Even though I think he has an idea it's coming, going through those pages is tough. And there so much excitement leading up to it, and then...

And, d'awww it's my Dixie! Who is curled up in my lap as I write (and wrapped around my left had, so I'm once again typing one-handed.) And that's the pic ggh used to make that beautiful fabric-y picture that is now my desktop.

Just came back from seeing a film of the Nat'l Theater Co's (UK) production of War Horse. It was amazing. The horse puppets (puppets doesn't seem like the right word. They seem so alive) are incredible. I was literally sobbing at the end, and crying on the ride home.

And now I'm annoyed because apparently I was responsible for making sure my friend/kinda housemate knew when his nephew's b-day party is. Why that was my job I don't know. grumble grumble

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0620

Postby mscha » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:30 am UTC

INTERROBONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

yappobiscuits

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0620

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:47 am UTC

newpixbot wrote:INTERROBONGS...

Yes NPB, that is indeed how one would get high off an exclaimed question. :P

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”