1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

karhell

Re: Loquacious Raptors = hit single by NBDBN

Postby karhell » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:38 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Treeish, waveney (and Zooman)! Image
I consciously tried not to infect you xuys with 2048... I've been stuck playing it for a couple of dips now. I remembered the c**kies. Image
So blame GLR this Time for spreading the addictive hotdog!

Also, my ketchup is being mustardy...forum-uploaded images/attachments aren't showing up for me on the regular forum pages.
But for some reason, they appear fine in the "topic review" box under the reply field. Epsilon.

So a case of GOOBGHR, then ^^

As for the attachments, epsilon indeed, they seem to work just fine here.

Edit : Oh, Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, eh ? Well that's a first...
So, erm, decree... lessee... not used to this ... do not get caught by 8224, I guess (and send an expedition to retrieve Jose and SBN, by the same occasion)
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

balthasar_s

Attachments!

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:27 pm UTC

From now, the mirror will also save attachments.
The new ones will be saved together with their newpages.
The old ones will be slowly reketchupped.
They will appear on 1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/ott/attachment and on the reketchupped newpages
They will load longer than from xkcd fora.
But they will still be available during mustardtime.

karhell wrote:So a case of GOOBGHR, then ^^

Get out of Black Hat Guy, Randall?
Wait, it's BGH.
Get out of BlitzGirl's hat, Randall?
Edited to update URL
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0736

Postby mscha » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

LOGROLLONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:39 pm UTC

Uh oh, not another addictive hotdog! Someone needs to add a c**kie blocker to the suite of OTT-scripts.

That tree looks a lot more two dimensional than usual.
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:08 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:We have some virtual characters posting in the OTT.
I already know about:
Corinne from the Minim,
Newpixbot from mscha,
Timborme, Nopixbot, and Imagebot from mrob27,
bothasar_s and bothasar_t from me.

Am I missing anyone else? And do we know how Timborme, Nopixbot, and Imagebot look like?

Maybe I am a virtual character. *mind blown*

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh yes, I've been playing 2048 in my free Time too. It's a molpish little hotdog.

Edit because I fail at links.

Right, I discovered this about a week ago; it is indeed molpish. Because it is simple and open-source, there are a lot of forks; for example, the version with undo, the doge version, the extremely mind-bending 4D version, and the just-plain-silly 0. We should make a Time version.

If we made a Time version, there would be two ways this could be done: images, like the Doge version, or numbers but using the factors of 1190 instead of powers of 2. These are 2, 5, 7, 10, 14, 17, 34, 35, 70, 85, 119, 170, 238, and 595. You'd have to have 2, 5, 7 and 17 as starting tiles, and you might need a 5x5 grid.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

HES

Postby HES » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:30 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh yes, I've been playing 2048 in my free Time too.

BLITZGIRL WHY DID YOU LINK TO IT

Don't you know what you've done!?
He/Him/His Image

macraw83

Blitz progress: 1355/1809

Postby macraw83 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:27 pm UTC

Welcome to toxip's edition of "It's All Related", coming to you in the form of an OtherOtherPhotocomic:

In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:52 pm UTC

Molpish! :D I need to fill out my bracket todip.

balthasar_s wrote:I hope nothing wrong is going to happen to the attachments.

Me too, especially after that seaish NP1800 repository made entirely of attachments...
Thanks for your continued work on the ЯOЯЯIM TTO, balthattachment!

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh yes, I've been playing 2048 in my free Time too.

BLITZGIRL WHY DID YOU LINK TO IT

Don't you know what you've done!?

Aah! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but I did avoid it for so long! When it came up in the Othercomic, I couldn't help it! I've been playing it for dips! Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
*runs*

You're lucky I have an exam tomorrow, and don't have time for any rampages.

You're unlucky I have an exam tomorrow, as my vengeance will be far worse. I'm going to make you so comfy you'll wish you were in the basement!
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:19 pm UTC

The comfy! The comfy! AAAAGGH!

I know that I'll totally deserve it.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:07 pm UTC

Great. I clicked it. Before I saw Jose's warning.
I was just so glad to have an explanation for what the comic was about.
It's like an answer for the opposite of SilentTimer's decree.

Edit: punctuation and line breaks.
Last edited by ggh on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0737

Postby mscha » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

SAILBOARDONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:14 pm UTC

Molpy up! Now I can finally find out about this hotdog everyone seems to be talking about... Hmm, 256 on first try. This is fun!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:12 pm UTC

You're appropriately Yappocised todip!

Quite a bout of mustard there. At least the balthamirror is molpish.
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:16 pm UTC

Highly yappocised indeed.
yappobiscuits wrote:Molpy up! Now I can finally find out about this hotdog everyone seems to be talking about... Hmm, 256 on first try. This is fun!

Correction: This hotdog is annoyingly hard. Can't get past 512.

I think that's why this hotdog is so addictive/evil - it deceives you into thinking you have a chance at beating it so you keep trying and keep failing but keep wanting to try again because maybe THIS time you'll get there... It's as evil as the c**kies, but in a different way...
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eternal Density

Pun intended.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:26 pm UTC

I had complete forum m*stard for the past couple of nopix :(
So... 2048 is a hotdog? I hadn't figured that from reading the OtherComic.

On the topic of Time Travel, anyone else see the premier of season 3 of Continuum? It was treeish.

ETA got 2 128s on my first attempt, for a score of 2096. That'll do. Tab closed.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HES

Re: Pun intended.

Postby HES » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:44 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Tab closed.

Congratulations!
He/Him/His Image

HES

Postby HES » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:01 am UTC

Or should that be "CONGratulations"?

He/Him/His Image

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Zanclean Zodiac"; ᔪ--

Postby azule » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:30 am UTC

« Frame 15: NP1808:29 | » Frame 17: NP1811:29

The Zanclean Zodiac

Lurkreplies, followed by memereply:

HES, great Mystery503.

I have a game for BlitzGirl. Seeing as she tracks elapsed np without any posts here's a simple drinking game. Each np (hour) that elapses without a post, take a shot. Newpixbot does not count as a post. Have fun!

Dracomax wrote:What you are talking about in trying to define consciousness sounds an awful lot like my definition of sapience.(or is it sentience? I always get the two confused.) In fact, I would say that is the big problem here with trying to define consciousness. you aren't trying to define consciousness. you are trying to define sentience.

My definition of consciousness would be: an awareness and ability to react in real time to the environment around you. People in a coma would not be conscious. Dogs would. Memory is not necessary for consciousness, nor is higher level thought. The subconscious mind is still part of consciousness, just as the subatomic world still exists in the atomic world.
Thank you! I knew that conversation wasn't quite right. I agree with you. Sentience is the topic, and a lot of the arguments used for "consciousness" don't work for sentience. I think sentience is the "do we have a soul?" argument, which is why wolpies got mentioned earlier. Or the "free will" argument.

Mr Moriaty wrote:Things were better in my dip. People Believed in their religion and went to church every newpix.
None of this new-fangled Forum Mustard or any giant robots.... chirpingmustard

Oh ch*p..... I "AM" old...
FTFanoldone

Sciscitor wrote:Ottish keeps reminding me of "Darmok". The words and grammar are perfectly valid english, but it is still gibberish to anyone who does not know the lore behind it. So if someone does not know the tale about Cueball and Megan finding a neat tree, he would not understand treeish or any other number of our idiosyncrasies. Pretty treeish, huh?
It's been noted before (the episode, but I forget the context) but seeing how we line up with it is indeed treeish.

patzer wrote:Where have all the OTTers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the OTTers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the OTTers gone?
To the basement everyone.
Oh, when will they ever learn?
Oh, when will they ever learn?

I have had this song idea for almost a yip but now has been the first opportunity to actually make it : (

Edit: Ninjad by two more otters appearing. :?
OTTers are good at mustarding up your loneliness. Well, you have to call out for us. It's like we're Beetlejuice. :) Oh, and neat OTTy and BG went crazy, also neat.

rvloon wrote:Valentine's Day: the day we give chocolate to those already overweight and flowers to the allergic, to even the kosmic score tallied against us by our loved ones on the scoreboard of appreciation.

Ronald

PS: I don't observe Valentine's day :-)
But your significant other probably does. You just gotta do it if you're not single. Funny breakdown, btw.

HES wrote:Yeah, I firefox.
Hehe, love the phrase. But yeah, mobile ain'tisn't so good. I use the default Google browser (but not Chrome or Dolphin).

AluisioASG wrote:
azule wrote:I am really loved here.

So far, so good.
Hah...*embarrassed*

AluisioASG wrote:
azule wrote:Without me even BlitzGirl can't save it. ;) :P

Now that is almost the heresy of the heresies; next you'll say we need no stinking GLR 'cause we have you.
No no, I would never.

cellocgw wrote:{finds out that his "no OtherComicDay" title has been deprecated in favor of User Submission Day; grumbles in honor of long-departed Charlie}

Well, I like submissive users :mrgreen:
I think that it's more that USD is a positive title, not just observing what is, but being proactive.
With all the questioning of what USD is, I've had that same sarcastic interpretation. hehe.

Earthling on Mars wrote:I was about 1/3 of the way through blitzing them when #1190 showed up and interrupted my life.
I finished mine, then pseudo-swore to not blitz anything again. I previously blitzed most of another stick figure comic and most (as I could get) of Pokémemes. But being in the present or doing ketchup...a teeny bit different. Anyways, it was a week or so after that blitz that Time started. So crazy.

macraw83 wrote:hexasyllabicalI pronounce my screenname "Em-Ay-Craw-Eighty-Three"
Well, thanks for not telling me this 10 mips ago. I've been saying "ma-craw-83" in my head. So....their initials? Marc Antony Craw 83 (the actual 83, right? not 1983)? ;)

mrob27 wrote:@azule asks if I can help verify some of these:
Spoiler:

Working out when someone quotes someone else is actually pretty tricky — I know others have done it but I don't know quite how. The content of the quote needs to be matched against all other posts in the OTT, and it has to work even when parts of the original are missing, or when the formatting has changed.
Oh. I believe Sciscitor might have that ability, what with his Quote Constellations. Sorry.

mrob27 wrote:And having the server actually do anything on demand (such as server-side code to implement @azule's idea) is out of the question.
Alright. Just to note, I think a caching system would reduce on-demand issues. But, in terms of using static pages for my idea, it would be possible using Javascript to simultaneously download the pages needed and basically concatenate them (or serve them already catted). *shrug* I'll scamper off now.

SilentTimer wrote:
azule wrote:Hey!, why t1i? DoDid we get to find out at some point?

Yes. (FTFY)
I wish I did-knew what it was. I guess I'll have to [spoil​er] for it. I mean, [search] for it. :P

HES wrote:
azule wrote:
HES wrote:
adnapemit wrote:But you are not IN The basement, you ARE The basement.

What if the basement ends up in the basement? We have enough temporal rifts around here, I'm not sure we can cope with a spacial one as well.
Easy solution: OrbitalFacePalm9001 can never leave. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, this seems to have happened. Might explain the brackalypse.
Sadly so. Timeversary, save us!!

archnemysis wrote:
Spoiler:
I can't help but think I am vandalizing this thread coming to the party so late, but after four days of experiencing this thread and doing very little else I had to create an account and submit a post. I typically only view xkcd through my feed reader. When Time began, I assumed I didn’t get it and moved on with my life. Then last Friday I stumbled across a /. comment discussing explainxkcd and I thought, wow, wish I had known about that before. After randomly clicking through pages for an hour I landed on the explanation for Time. Unfortunately that was Friday morning, and I have not been able to get anything done in the past four days. When I first decided to read through the OTT, my goal was to make it all the way through. Reality quickly proved that to be a difficult task, so now I just take it one new sig being created at a time. It is absolutely fascinating watching this all play out, even though I know what the future holds. I am up to post 4680 of 72262 and cannot stop laughing. Hopefully I will be able to reach the end one day, if only for my sanity.
Wow, such a late blitzer...you have like a week to make it or you miss the Timeversary. Crazy. crazy. crzy. czy. cz. z.

SilentTimer wrote:Image

Optional decree: Many xkcd comics are difficult to understand but totally worth the effort. Tell your story about your favorite(s).
Neat second OdeTiTy. I like the decree. But I blitzed all 1188 (before Time) and it's all a bit of a wash to remember. :( lol.

Neil_Boekend wrote:ETA: just finished blitzing Project Skin Horse. Does anymolpy have a suggestion for a new webcomic?
Bizarre Webcomic because it's stupid. Oh, it's not new... but new to you, maybe?

balthasar_s wrote:From now, the mirror will also save attachments.
The new ones will be saved together with their newpages.
The old ones will be slowly reketchupped.
They will appear on 1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/ott/attachment and on the reketchupped newpages
They will load longer than from xkcd fora.
But they will still be available during mustardtime.
Is it possible to implement some sort of server based redirect, where the fora images would load unless there's 503 mustard then it would redirect to /attachment ?

ucim wrote:
azule wrote:Not sure what you mean about a timescale or a long now, but I'm glad to see such an interpretation.
The Long Now is a foundation devoted to long term thinking. In other words, to Wait For It. It's most visible project is a ten thousand year clock, and (showing that it's all RELATED) it has a Rosetta project too. We should add Beanish to it.
So very related (saw it early in the OTT, and recently too). I like the Beanish idea. Leave it for future people to solve. ;)

Spoiler:
density-OdeTiTy.png
The basement is very comatoasty.
density-OdeTiTy.png (17.43 KiB) Viewed 14360 times

Edit: Sustainabilized

Edit: Added next and previous frame links.
Last edited by azule on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:40 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Eternal Density

If we tried we could go denser...

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:56 am UTC

azule wrote:Image]

Why no coffebaconcancerbabies?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

HES

Postby HES » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:07 am UTC

I your now contains

This has got to be OTTifiable...
He/Him/His Image

macraw83

Blitz Progress: 1362/1809

Postby macraw83 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:12 am UTC

Reporting in from NP 1362, aka "The Newpage of Charlie's Burma Shave OTTifications".

This is the first of 9:
charlie_grumbles wrote:When all alone
Spoiler:
in the OTT,

Spoiler:
take a break

Spoiler:
with a cuppa tea.

Spoiler:
Panther Salve

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

ggh

Re: If we tried we could go denser...

Postby ggh » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:13 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
azule wrote:
Spoiler:
Image]

Why no coffebaconcancerbabies?

Ew, gross!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

marchlight

Re: Pun intended.

Postby marchlight » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:14 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:On the topic of Time Travel, anyone else see the premier of season 3 of Continuum? It was treeish.

No, but I'm looking forward to it! It's a good show, and I like the story and all, but mostly I like that it's a show filmed in Vancouver that's actually *set* here :D

archnemysis wrote:When Time began, I assumed I didn’t get it and moved on with my life. Then last Friday I stumbled across a /. comment discussing explainxkcd and I thought, wow, wish I had known about that before. After randomly clicking through pages for an hour I landed on the explanation for Time. Unfortunately that was Friday morning, and I have not been able to get anything done in the past four days.

Welcome, archnemysis! I love that people are still finding Time and the OTT. I hope we see you in the present one day.

It only just occurred to me that the Timeversary doesn't fall on a regular othercomic day. Randall must be wondering whether he should post Time 2 a day early on Mondip, or just do a special Tuesdip post...

HES

Ramblings of a coma deprived hamply

Postby HES » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:41 am UTC

archnemysis wrote:When Time began, I assumed I didn’t get it and moved on with my life.

My life would be genuinely different if I'd done this almost a year ago. I mean, some of the fundamentals would be the same, but I have spent a LOT of time here. Some major life decisions hung on very little, and could easily have gone the other way. I could be in a completely different city, knowing completely different people, doing completely different things. Scary.

But you know, it's all timey wimey in the end. Other things make as much of a difference - what if I hadn't missed that train? What if any of those near misses had been a millicue closer? What if I hadn't coughed during that presentation? What if I hadn't clicked "send" too early in that email? What if I didn't blink RIGHT NOW.

Meh. It is the way it is. And it's molpish.

Anyone have a supersoaker?

Molpy is-only-tall-enough-to-press-the-lowest-button-on-the-elevator
He/Him/His Image

macraw83

Blitz Progress: 1366/1809

Postby macraw83 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:45 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
Tried filling your day
Spoiler:
with joy and fun.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
:(
Spoiler:
Goodbye

:(

ETA: Title
ETA2: ETA's
Last edited by macraw83 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:47 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

marchlight

Re: Ramblings of a coma deprived hamply

Postby marchlight » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:46 am UTC

HES wrote:What if I didn't blink RIGHT NOW.

*blinks involuntarily*

chirp. What have you done?!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:15 am UTC

HES wrote:
archnemysis wrote:When Time began, I assumed I didn’t get it and moved on with my life.

My life would be genuinely different if I'd done this almost a year ago. I mean, some of the fundamentals would be the same, but I have spent a LOT of time here. Some major life decisions hung on very little, and could easily have gone the other way. I could be in a completely different city, knowing completely different people, doing completely different things. Scary.

I concur: all the time I would have spent doing something else, all the things I wouldn't have become interested in, OTTers I wouldn't have met, in-jokes I wouldn't have learned, and especially stuff I wouldn't have created...

addams

Postby addams » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:38 am UTC

marchlight wrote:
HES wrote:What if I didn't blink RIGHT NOW.

*blinks involuntarily*

chirp. What have you done?!

Got me, too.
Blink,.. blink,.. blink.

I can't stop!
What have you done??
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:45 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I concur: all the time I would have spent doing something else, all the things I wouldn't have become interested in, OTTers I wouldn't have met, in-jokes I wouldn't have learned, and especially stuff I wouldn't have created...

Mmhmm, all that. Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:28 am UTC

Very dense indeed, azule! Image

azule wrote:I have a game for BlitzGirl. Seeing as she tracks elapsed np without any posts here's a simple drinking game. Each np (hour) that elapses without a post, take a shot. Newpixbot does not count as a post. Have fun!

I have a feeling such a drinking game would involve much Waiting...

HES wrote:Anyone have a supersoaker?

There's a smiley for that: ImageImage
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0739

Postby mscha » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:30 am UTC

PREVAILONGNESSES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Eternal Density

C'mon!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:39 am UTC

Hopefully this signals a posting spree.

Right?

ChronosDragon

Re: C'mon!

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:41 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Hopefully this signals a posting spree.

Right?

A posting SREEE, more like.

Edit: no? no one? Okay, I'll see myself out.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:35 am UTC

Cake if you stay (and for everymolpy else who steps by), comfy chair if you don't:
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

BlitzGirl

"I don't even know what this is about anymore"

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:37 am UTC

I was handed this missive by Aluisio to post to the OTT:

AluisioASG wrote:I think I'm going to rewrite a story. Some of you may remember it, others never had the chance to read it. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't feel right ― I feel I've become a better writer since then, or at least a more coherent one, but in exchange I left someone behind, someone who deserves at least to be in a better-written story than the one he's in now. I tried to give him another place, another origin, but the Second System that Gibraltar has become devours anything and everything. So I retreated to the only place I knew was safe, where the sunlight satellites could never reach us ― and coincidentally the one place he should've been at since the beginning, for he cannot exist without us, and there's no reason for us to be anywhere else:

That medley of reality and fiction that is our very own long-term future.

But if our influence as community is to last for enough time for this to be at least suspensive-believable, something needs to happen now (i.e. during our lifetimes) to guarantee we won't be a mere dot in this world's history book. We need to be written strongly enough for the ink to cross to the other side.

And for that to happen, I'd need to write the future of (partially) real people. And I suppose some may oppose this.

Of course, I'm far in the future, so I won't be writing about any of you specifically, but I need to know what happened in the past to know which future to focus on.

Well, after five paragraphs I don't know why I'm writing this anymore. I think I was going to ask for permission to do something. Oh, right:

I'd like to ask your permission to assume sometime in the future branch our timeline off into one we all banded together at Île d'If sometime in the future. Don't worry about money, I bought the island and even provided transportation for y'll and your families ― I hope you don't mind being escorted by three fighters and a flying missile platform.

I will also need to expose how I see some of you, character-wise. Why? Simple: our future Blitzars need regnal names, and most of them seek to follow of the spirit of the first OTTers. Fox example, Blitzar Grumbles the Second is a quite intelligent and serious guy, while Chronos the Fo(u)rth is quite interested in past OTTer history and has a theoretical degree in engineering (granted, all fifteen OTTers of her generation have theoretical degrees in engineering; as for “theoretical”, this is what I wrote to ucim: “apparently we forgot to gather all of humanity's knowledge and take it with us to Île d'If; being averse to Outsiders surely didn't help [in the long term]”).

If you don't want to be part of this, please speak, and I'll understand.
If you want to object in behalf of all OTTers, I'm all ears.
If you want to know more of what I'm planning, I'll be more than happy to discuss that.

I don't think I'll have the storyline reviewed and approved by the Dawn of Time, nor the first chapter ready by the end of the Madness.
But hopefully I will have this story complete eventually. With some luck (and work), before my moldpay.

* looks at post above
Diffuse writing, uh? Hopefully it gets the message across.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

I'm feeling a mite peckish.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:41 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Cake if you stay (and for everymolpy else who steps by), comfy chair if you don't:
Spoiler:

Tasty!
more:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:53 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Cake if you stay (and for everymolpy else who steps by), comfy chair if you don't:
Spoiler:

Why not both?
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl wrote:I was handed this missive by Aluisio to post to the OTT:

Aha, I recieved a PM from him earlier which was deleted before I saw it, maybe it was RELATED to this. Anyway, a story about a future OTTer society sounds really treeish.

Eternal Density

Not sure what's going on.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:57 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:

Why not both?
BlitzGirl wrote:I was handed this missive by Aluisio to post to the OTT:

Aha, I recieved a PM from him earlier which was deleted before I saw it, maybe it was RELATED to this. Anyway, a story about a future OTTer society sounds really treeish.
yappo, your image is so seaish that it's not loading for me. [edit: it loaded okay in another tab, I guess it was just intertube m*stard]
BlitzGirl, somehow you ninja'd me without me knowing so I would have missed your post if yappo hadn't quoted you. Anyhow, I'm in the same boat as yappo.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:02 am UTC

It's not that seaish, I've seen seaisher. If it's not loading it must be another problem.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”