1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:37 am UTC

Chronosdragon, is there something wrong with the alpha layer on your clock or is Firefox just not parsing the clock right?
Ooh, Pope.
Papal decree: post in corrupt a wish with a corruption and a new one to be corrupted.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:58 am UTC

Molpy up !

ChronosDragon wrote:Question for the speakers of languages with gender: do you notice when people/foreigners get genders wrong? What would that be equivalent to, roughly, in English?

French speaker here. The wrong genders are pretty noticeable but usually no big deal. It's actually pretty common when faking an English accent to swap a few genders ^^
As for the rule of thumb, an unaccented 'e' at the end of a word doesn't necessarily mean the word is feminine. "Moustique" (mosquito), for instance is masculine (and actually bugged me for quite a few yips).

lunchbox1100101 wrote:Since I can't post a link if you search for "raziel soul reaver" in google images you can get a full version of the picture I photoshopped.

Raziel, redeemer and destroyer. Pawn and messiah. Welcome, Reaver the Recent :D
(being a pretty big Legacy of Kain fan, duckduckgooglebinging was quite unnecessary ^^)

Neil_Boekend wrote:Chronosdragon, is there something wrong with the alpha layer on your clock or is Firefox just not parsing the clock right?
Ooh, Pope.
Papal decree: corrupt a wish and leave a new one to be corrupted.

Yup, noticed that too on opera 12.16, so it's not just firefox mustarding up.

For decree: I wish coma wasn't needed
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:21 am UTC

Glad to hear posting from the balthamirror is working (mostly) properly!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:29 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Chronosdragon, is there something wrong with the alpha layer on your clock or is Firefox just not parsing the clock right?
Ooh, Pope.

Yes, it is broken, it m*starded up when I upgraded my PHP version a while back and I haven't had the occasion to fix it since. I really want to reconstruct it in a decent language, so I have been avoiding the project for a while. It's not too noticeable, so I've not been overly worried about it.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0860

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:30 am UTC

SNEESHONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:33 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Ooh, Pope.

Yes, it is broken, it m*starded up when I upgraded my PHP version a while back and I haven't had the occasion to fix it since. I really want to reconstruct it in a decent language, so I have been avoiding the project for a while. It's not too noticeable, so I've not been overly worried about it.

Most people wouldn't notice it since most people don't use the black layout.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:05 am UTC

Whew! OK, think I lost the Outside for a bit. Time for some ketchup from NP 1828-1831:

karhell wrote:
taixzo wrote:When would we do it? Summer would make sense, but what's summer in the Northern Hemisphere is winter for our OTTers in Australia.

If weather's a concern, spring/autumn might be a good compromise (horrible weather for everyone, yay ! ^^)
I'm more concerned about the time. There's OTTers all across the globe, and night might deter some from trying

Well. I'm often up in the middle of the night and I know BlitzGirl is too, so that's one vote doing it after midnight PST.

Oh, forgot to say that I love the Aerosmith otty, Dracomax!

And Minim, congrats on 800!

StratPlayer wrote:Hi all! Thank you for the warm welcome back from the basement!

Spoiler:
You know, it was really nice popping back upstairs to say "Hi" after being in the basement for so long. But I do have to say that the Timeiversary has been kind of emotion-filled for me -- fond memories of the Time that was mixed with a fresh rekindling of sadness over T** E**. It has led me to a bit of introspection, and as usual -- introspection always leads me to a sense of amazement over how inter-connected the comic, the OTT, and EVERYTHING is.

I mean, like, as an obvious example, the GLR, in his wisdom, chose "1190" as the perfect number to use for the number of the OTC. This is clearly no coincidence.

Here's why:

1. "1190" is also the frequency in kHz of AM 1190 WOWO in Fort Wayne, Indiana, which has broadcast at this frequency since March, 29 1941. Notice how the 'March 29th' corresponds to the period of live unveiling of the OTC. Uh-huh -- I know! But there's even more.

2. Fort Wayne, Indiana is also the birthplace of Shelley Long. Did you know that Shelley's current project is called "A Matter of Time", which is now in post-production? See???? But there's more!

3. Shelley Long is also most remembered for playing the role of "Diane Chambers' in the Emmy-Award winning TV sitcom "Cheers," which ran from 1982 to 1993. What did all the OTTers do during TIME when the ONG rang? Yep -- cheer. Clearly this is related. But there's more.

4. The well-known theme song for "Cheers" is called "Where Everybody Knows Your Name." Does that NOT sound like the OTT? Well, except we all know each other's forum user ID and not actual names, but that sense of 'belonging' to a place where you're welcome is clearly the same. Obviously the GLR knew exactly what he was doing. But there's more!

5. "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" was co-written by Gary Portnoy and Judy Hart Angelo. Gary Portnoy also co-wrote the songs "I'll Never Get Enough of You," and "This is Forever. I'm sure everyone can see how these blatantly relate to the OTT. But wait -- there's still more:

6. Gary Portnoy also co-wrote the song "Say Goodnight". Besides being an obvious reference to the night of stars during the OTC, this song was recorded by Dolly Parton on her 1980 album Dolly, Dolly, Dolly. Among her many, many other songs and albumns, Dolly Parton also wrote the song "I Will Always Love You", made famous by Whitney Houston, and CLEARLY a reference to how the OTTers feel about the OTC and this thread. But there's even more:

7. In 1966, Dolly Parton married Carl Thomas Dean -- they've been married ever since. Carl stays out of the limelight, but some facts are known about him. Like, did you know that he was born in 1942 in Nashville, Tennessee. well, guess who just named Nashville to be the "The South's Red Hot Town"? That's right -- TIME magazine. See? No way that's a coincidence. But there's more!

8. Did you know that Nashville is also home to our esteemed OTTer Valarya? See how the GLR keeps intertwining this!?!? Of course he wouldn't have set this up so that Dolly Parton's husband was born in a town without an OTTer, now would he? Of course not! But there's even more.

9. Relating to the link of "Where Everybody Knows Your Name," did you know that Valarya's real name is "Christina?" Well, that can't be a coincidence -- just think about the fact that the singer Christina Milan recorded an album called "It's About Time". Yes, indeed -- it IS about TIME, isn't it??? Spooky, huh!? But there's more!

10. "Christina" is one of many given names that can be shortened to "Chris". Another one is "Christopher". Well, did you know that The GLR, Randall Munroe, graduated from Christopher Newport University in 2006 with a degree in Physics? Amazing how it's all inter-related, isn't it? But wait, there's STILL more!

11. "Christopher" is ALSO the real name of the OTTer StratPlayer -- ME!!! Now that's ANOTHER connection to the OTT as a place where "Everybody Knows Your Name". And, amazingly, there's more...

12. I chose the user name "StratPlayer" because I play a Stratocaster, the guitar created by Leo Fender in 1954. Well, guess who named the guitar a "Stratocaster"? Not Leo -- it was a guy named Don Randall. Yep -- "Randall"! You want to tell me THAT's a coincidence!?!?! But there's still more!

13. One of the players most associated with the Strat was Jimi Hendrix. He was an iconic, amazing player, and I have always been a fan. My favorite piece by him is the song "Machine Gun" from the live album "Band of Gypsies". Jimi's playing on that song is just phenomenal. It was recorded New Year's Eve, 1969-1970 at the Fillmore in New York, but guess when the album was released? March 25th, 1970. March 25th! The same day the OTC began! You seeing the pattern here?!?! But there's more...

14. Jimi is remembered for a lot of things, and I love "Machine Gun," but his rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" live at Woodstock in 1969 is probably one of the first things people think of. What about this -- you know who was also famous for performing "The Star Spangled Banner?" A singer named Lucy Munroe. You read that right -- MUNROE! Wait, there's more!

15. Woodstock in 1969 was held near Woodstock, New York. Besides Hendrix, Woodstock featured many other artists including Ten Years After, who recorded the album, "A Space in Time" in 1971. Yes -- A Space in TIME. This album with the obvious xkcd 1190 reference also featured the classic song, "I'd Love to Change the World". Well, I think there's little doubt that xkcd 1190 -- "Time" changed the world of the OTTer's. But there's STILL more:

16. Ten Years after was fronted by guitarist, Alvin Lee, and their version of "I'm Going Home at Woodstock shows off some his blazing guitar playing. I'd think most of the OTTers think of going to visit this thread, where "Everybody Knows Your Name," as a bit of 'going home.' Well, unfortunately, Alvin Lee passed away last year in March, and he was remembered in many publications, including...

TIME Magazine, in This Obituary in the issue dated March 25, 2013 -- the very same day that xkcd 1190 "Time" began.

Yes, you read that right -- "TIME" magazine, from March 25th, 2013. :shock: :shock: :shock:

The GLR does indeed move in mysterious ways!

It truly is ALL Related!!!

:D

I don't know whether to applaud, or cry tears of joy to have these back again, Christopher. I guess a little of both.

NoMouse wrote:TELEPORTONG?
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

I don't understand what the Beanie is doing.

NoMouse, did your avatar always do that, and I just never noticed? Oh, wait, I guess it's new. I like it!

Soup wrote:
HES wrote:
karhell wrote:I'm afraid not, Oldpixbot. No pun goes :P

Indeed, we did a trial.

No pun in ten did

Four out of five den tests agree.

yappobiscuits wrote:
macraw83 wrote:"Zanclean Dishwasher"... hmm...

Also a Vital Hotdog Function song.

More of an album title, methinks...

karhell wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
karhell wrote:alternatively, any river, no matter how riverish gets to the seaish sea, eventually ^^

Not all rivers2,3,10 reach the sea1.

Guess I'm one of toxip's 10000, then. Thanks for the info ^^

Well, they do in a way, with the hydrologic cycle..

balthasar, I trust you to do whatever with my password.

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Now I'm picturing a Godzilla-sized otter with a buffyhat rampaging through a college campus...

I like the way you think

Eternal Density wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:I saw a fox today.

May I inquire as to the content of its speech?

heehee. I didn't see this till balthabot replied to it.

So nice to see tresoldi, and to read about his work on Beanish, even though I have no idea what most of his post said. Slinches summed up my findings on Beanish exactly. :)

And it's treeish seeing Valarya again. Val, did you hit 900 recently? well, congrats no matter when it was!

OK, been a long dip of fighting raptors and zombies. I gotta coma.

edited to fix little spots of mustard.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:24 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

phpBB for science!

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:06 am UTC

This post was made for phpBB research. I removed the "lastclick" and "topic_cur_post_id" fields from the form to see if this prevents ninjapreviews from appearing. I will edit in the answer soon.
ETA:Yes it does! It did not tell me anything about lmjb1964's post even though it was posted after I started writing this post. Thanks, lmjb for posting so I didn't have to wait any more.
This is important. If we make an userscript that removes the two hidden fields from the form, after clicking "Submit" the post will be posted even if new posts were made. You will not be sent back to preview.
Also, if you have a bot that sends posts and doesn't include these 2 fields it will either send the post or get an error message if something went wrong. No going back to preview.
A far as I know, only the "subject", "message", "creation_time", and "form_token" are required.
"disable_bbcode", "disable_smilies", "disable_magic_url", "attach_sig", and "notify" can be ignored if the value is not "on" (the checkbox is not checked). Others can always be ignored.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:46 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And Minim, congrats on 800!

Thanks! And exactly the same to you!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:54 am UTC

Language ketchup:

ChronosDragon wrote:Question for the speakers of languages with gender: do you notice when people/foreigners get genders wrong? What would that be equivalent to, roughly, in English?

Yes, you definitely notice. If you don't know the gender in Czech, it also means you don't know how to decline the word, so you leave it in the nominative casei. Which is like using "be" instead of "am, are, is...". But let's say the word in the sentence is in nominative case - what would that be equivalent to? Well, hard to say, maybe something like Gollum's double plural - "Bagginses", "pocketses"...

The thing is, you don't even have to be foreigner - there are some words, that can have two and sometimes even all three genders. And it's usually so, that in some part of the country one gender is used and the other gender in the rest of the country, so it may sound weird for you but for the other person it sounds weird the other way.

iEven if you know the gender, that still doesn't mean you know how to decline it, because there are many declension patterns for each gender and a lot of exceptions.

(Now I wonder how many such mistakes I make in English. Is there something wrong in every of my posts or are there some posts without noticeable mistakes?)

balthasar_s wrote:
we usually add the suffix -ová
Now I have to ask because I'm curious. In Polish we also have this (but not very often used). But the suffix -owa w is only used if "Nowakowa" is a wife of Nowak. An unmarried daugter of Nowak would be "Nowakówna" instead. Do you also have something like this?

Nope, -ová is just female form regardless of the marital status. And I forgot to say that if the surname is adjective-like (eg. "Nový", meaning just "New"), than you don't add -ová but just change the -ý to -á just like with common adjectives ("Nová").

balthasar_s wrote:Language-related:
Two of my sisters were (and one still is) learning to play the piano in a Czech music schools. We live very close to the Czech border, even if the map doesn't show it - I actually live in two places and this is the other one. My sisters don't speak Czech. The teachers don't speak Polish. But they learned to understand what the other side is saying, most of the time. It's very interesting to observe their conversations, where one side speaks only Polish, the other speaks only Czech, but they still understand each other somehow.

I must say I don't understand Polish very much. Of course, there are many similar words but that's not enough. Well, I guess we would be able to communicate somehow but a lot of non-verbal communication would have to be included too. :) Although I know that people living near Polish borders understand quite well even if they never learned the language. But we have this thing with Slovaks - you probably know that but for the others - Czech and Slovak are very similar languages (we were one country until 1993) so we naturally understand each other without big problems (yes, there are some words that are completely different but you can usually guess them from context because you understand the rest) even though we usually can't speak the other language very well.

OtherKetchup:
lmjb1964 wrote:NoMouse, did your avatar always do that, and I just never noticed? Oh, wait, I guess it's new. I like it!

Thanks! I think I made it about a few weeks ago.

AUTOMOME wrote:ALL YOUR OTTERCOMIC ARE BELONG TO NEWPIXBOT
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:56 am UTC

Cake for June Bug and Minim to share:
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:02 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And Minim, congrats on 800!

Thanks! And exactly the same to you!

Oh, indeed !
Happy 800, Minim and Laura Mae ! :D
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

mscha

Time Revisited - np487

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:10 am UTC

VIEWUNGS...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:ONG'S CLOSED DUE TO BLACK BUN

-- posted by oldpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:19 am UTC

Hey, I'm behind! How did that happen?

ChronosDragon wrote:Just saw Star Trek 4. Someone once warned me about the even-numbered Star Trek movies, and clearly I should have listened. It was pretty awful. It was basically a contrived "save the whales" PSA that also conveniently wrapped up any of the interesting plot points from the previous movie. Just be glad that I've seen one of the good movies and know that Star Trek movies are in general worth watching :P

To put it in RELATED terms, the cheese factor was seaish, the plot was steambottlish, and the actors were cairnishold. What are y'alls favorite (or least favorite) Star Trek movies, so I know where to go next?

Confession: they make movies like 4 for people like me. I like cheesy. I was touched by the interactions between the characters. I laughed at the funny bits. And I love when old guys kick ass, always have, even when I was a kid. RED? Space Cowboys? World's Fastest Indian? Love 'em.

BlueCrab wrote:First reaction: wow, ggh sure found that 200 cake quickly!
Second reaction: and it's got a crab on it, too, I wonder what...?
Third reaction: that's a thermometer and, hey, I have those foam figures floating around my house, too! Excellent, ggh, thanks for the vignette and the well-wishes! After being in a fevered daze all dip he suddenly perked up at comaTime, go figure ;) (What's the chocolate? I don't recognize it.)

That's Kapiti Ice Cream, made about an hour north of Wellington I believe. Tasty.
To be honest, Kapiti wasn't my first choice for this photo. I was pretty sure that I had an empty container of Killinchy Gold in the House, but I couldn't find it. It's not quite as delicious in my opinion, but I find the packaging hilarious, because at first glance it appears to be the dessert form of soylent green.
Spoiler:

Thanks, mrob, for posting lunchbox101's avatar image. I got dragged off before I could, so that made it easier for me. :) It is a really treeish pic, and I'm doubly glad I asked because I have a tendency to see the low-res images incorrectly. In this case, I mostly saw it as it was, but made the notable error of parsing the forehead and hair as a duck's head looking left.

And NoMouse - I don't think I've noticed anything strange in your English.

Now to go look for a cake!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:56 am UTC

ggh wrote:Thanks, mrob, for posting lunchbox101's avatar image. I got dragged off before I could, so that made it easier for me. :) It is a really treeish pic, and I'm doubly glad I asked because I have a tendency to see the low-res images incorrectly. In this case, I mostly saw it as it was, but made the notable error of parsing the forehead and hair as a duck's head looking left.

Aaaaah!! Can't unsee ! From now on, Razzy officially has a duck on his head :D

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:10 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image Just noticed that in the Othercomic Cueball says, "Give us Time."

ETA link to original OtherComic
Last edited by mscha on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:15 am UTC

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Image Just noticed that in the Othercomic Cueball says, "Give us Time."

:shock: That figuratively literally just blew my mind.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:27 am UTC

IT'S ALL RELATED!
My cousin was playing Thief Gold. I walked in and saw this:
[... ukradnij szafirową wazę Lorda Randalla ...]
The -a comes from inflection, which birngs us back to languages.

NoMouse wrote:Gollum's double plural - "Bagginses", "pocketses"...

There's an interesting thing with loanwords, when a plural word from another language is imported as a singular word. Then, the plural of this actually has two plural suffixes - one from the original language and one from the new language.
NoMouse wrote:Nope, -ová is just female form regardless of the marital status. And I forgot to say that if the surname is adjective-like (eg. "Nový", meaning just "New"), than you don't add -ová but just change the -ý to -á just like with common adjectives ("Nová").
Thanks for the answer. And we also have an -y and -i to -a change in adjectivelike names.
NoMouse wrote:I must say I don't understand Polish very much. Of course, there are many similar words but that's not enough. Well, I guess we would be able to communicate somehow but a lot of non-verbal communication would have to be included too. :)
I don't understand Czech very much either. My parents and sisters learned to understand it a bit more because of this school and I was not involved. But they still have to use nonverbal communication too.
Spoiler:
TG.JPG
TG.JPG (22.96 KiB) Viewed 10771 times

And I too am curious how my English looks to you, English-speakers.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:32 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:And I too am curious how my English looks to you, English-speakers.

Honestly your English is very good.
Maybe 20 years in France have altered my judgment a bit, but I don't see anything wrong with your English.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:47 am UTC

Steakish ottification, mscha!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

waveney

Postby waveney » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:51 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:And I too am curious how my English looks to you, English-speakers.

Very good. It's a lot better than my Polish (Technically I am 1/8th Polish - A Great Grandfather came from Poland when he was 2)

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:04 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:New othercomic, which is kind of epsilon because it's purely text-based. Cuegan don't actually do anything in the drawings, they just walk a bit then stand around then walk a bit more... Hm. Seems familiar somehow.

Obviously they found a cell phone in a relic somewhere and have been running a web server off of it to see if anyone is left. The phone Cueball is using is so old that it is from pre-Heartbleed, and he just realized he had to fix it. While doing research about it, he stumbled on a recounting of what the vulnerability had been like to those involved at the time (mangled and exaggerated by retelling, of course) - the alt text.

I actually liked Star Trek 4...when I was 10. Now it is merely well done, but a bit cheesy.

Star Trek Binocular: Wrath of Khan Was the best, Followed by visual abbreviated:The Undiscovered Country, Star Trek(2008) and First Contact(the only decent Next gen movie)

Stay away from Star Trek Victory:The Final Frontier, Nemesis, and Into Darkness. the last two are just more poorly done Wrath of Khans, and the first one is Shatner's ego trip.
balthasar_s wrote:[Posted from the Mirror at Tue Apr 08, 2014 07:03 PM GMT]
NoMouse wrote:Wow, until now I thought she... I mean, he was a girl. Those confusing avatars...
Long ago, before I joined I was confused too.

I was confused like you once. then I took an arrow to the knee stopped trying to understand, and everything came clear in zen fashion.

As for language discussions: I understand why you would have more than thre gender pronouns. I understand why you would gender names. But I am still utterly lost as to why anyone would gender objects which have none themselves, so why do so many languages do it?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

mscha

Time Revisited - np489

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:10 pm UTC

YAPPUNGLY...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:HELLO? YES, THIS IS COMA

-- posted by oldpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:13 pm UTC

waveney wrote:

Very good. It's a lot better than my Polish (Technically I am 1/8th Polish - A Great Grandfather came from Poland when he was 2)

I agree. My grandfather came from Poland, but I don't speak a word. Funny, I don't remember him having an accent, but then, I was very young and he was very old.

And a seaish Minim/Laura Mae cake (well, maybe not. Maybe a Corinne/Laura Mae cake):
Spoiler:
entirely redundant:
Spoiler:
MardiCorinneCake.jpg

ETA: Nice molpy-hunting mscha! Or, molmessage-hunting... or something....
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0861

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

FARMONGVILLE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Maugrim

Postby Maugrim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:38 pm UTC

Page 517. It's decided: Cueball and Megan don't know everything yet, so they're going to seek a Ford. Or possibly a Mini Cooper.

Progress seems slow, as the outside world makes outrageous demands upon my time. I'm encouraged to post by another piece of targeted sigcouragement from a user called Sciscitor.

I don't think I have a signature myself; perhaps creating one will by my reward when I finally emerge from the depths of Time into the doubtless calm and satiated Future.

Did I even set an avatar? I can't remember. I've never seen one of my posts. If I don't, I'd better add one. It might even aspire to a Hat one day!

mrob27

I, FOR ONE, WELCOME OUR NEW WISH-CORRUPTING OVERPOPE

Postby mrob27 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:47 pm UTC

Hey, no-one's taken up our ex-Neil on his treeish suggestion for wish-corruption. It's a really fun game (read a bit of the end of this thread to get an idea). Then you'd post to that thread with "Granted." and a corruption of the last wish in the thread (currently mine). There is no need to quote the person you're responding to because it's meant to be a single chain.

In a RELATED way, I wish for OTTified corruptible wishes. I also wish for a real live molpy to keep as a pet.

In the OTT wishes may be interleaved with the other ongoing threads of conversation, so you'd probably want to quote me if responding to this one.)
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Neil_Boekend

Re: I, FOR ONE, WELCOME OUR NEW WISH-CORRUPTING OVERPOPE

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:50 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:In a RELATED way, I wish for OTTified corruptible wishes. I also wish for a real live molpy to keep as a pet.

The molpy gets sick and throws up over your good trousers.

I wish for Time 2

he/him/his

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:54 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
waveney wrote:

I agree. My grandfather came from Poland, but I don't speak a word. Funny, I don't remember him having an accent, but then, I was very young and he was very old.

And a seaish Minim/Laura Mae cake (well, maybe not. Maybe a Corinne/Laura Mae cake):
Spoiler:
entirely redundant:
Spoiler:
MardiCorinneCake.jpg

ETA: Nice molpy-hunting mscha! Or, molmessage-hunting... or something....

Wow. Just wow.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:02 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I wish for Time 2

After filling the eastern Mediterranean, the Zanclean flood continues in the western part, right when Time 2 starts. In the very first frame, Cuegan drowns. Thus ends Time 2.

I wish for a prequel to Time.

ETA:

DESALINIFYUNG...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:13 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

After filling the eastern Mediterranean, the Zanclean flood continues in the western part, right when Time 2 starts. In the very first frame, Cuegan drowns. Thus ends Time 2.

ETA:

DESALINIFYUNG...

We all have, Cueball. We all have.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:26 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Randall releases a comic called No Time, which is entirely text based, but in which the font seems slowly eroded as if the text had been soaking in salty water for 13000 years, and thus is unreadable.

I wish for a CD of all my ottifications.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:34 pm UTC

Welcome, lunchbox the binary!
lmjb1964 wrote:Can't remember if I said hi to mikrit. Hi, mikrit!

Hi, Laura Mae! I hope you survived the zombie raptors. I'm just reading the thread occasionally, but I managed to see your greeting. But I try to follow the current ONG story on mscha's viewer.

Me and my sister's project "move Mother from house to apartment" has got its classification upgraded from Urgent to Panic, with two days until meltdown.

Maybe we could lead a Zanclean flood through the house, so that Mother and her furniture are washed into the new apartment. By careful engineering, the unnecessary furniture should sink forever, while the useful stuff should float, and the house would certainly become cleaner. Please stand back, I am going to try Hydrology! (Hydraulics? Limnology?)

(Notice how skillfully I got back on topic, while throwing in a reference to Hercules? I am as erudite as a volcano.)

Well, keep calm and molpy on.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:44 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
mscha wrote:

Randall releases a comic called No Time, which is entirely text based, but in which the font seems slowly eroded as if the text had been soaking in salty water for 13000 years, and thus is unreadable.

I wish for a CD of all my ottifications.

Ronald

The CD has been scratched, burnt, and generally rendered completely unreadable.

I wish for a quicker and easier way to schizoblitz.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:The CD has been scratched, burnt, and generally rendered completely unreadable.

I wish for a quicker and easier way to schizoblitz.

Two eye implants allow you to see one part of the thread in one eye, and another part of the thread on the other eye. Unfortunately, this means you cannot see anything else but the OTT.

I wish for more sandcastles on the beach.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

I said I would not be linear, and here it goes: let’s jump to the interesting speech in frame 2728.

This frame is interesting, because it’s one of the Beanish “data points” closer to being a “Rosetta stone”. After some initial and difficult communication, when Cueball apparently learns the Beanish word for “water” (frames 2708/2709), he and Megan try to communicate with the Beanie by drawing. When Cueball makes it clear that they came from the lowlands, where we know the sea is rising, the Beanie seems both surprised and excited and fires three questions: ᔪᖉᔭᑫ ᕒᖚᐧ ᘊᓭᐧᑲᐤ ᑦᘈᖽᐣ ᔭ ᖆᖽᒣ ᓭᘖᑦ ᖊᘊᐤ ᕋᖗ ᖆᕬᖉᔭ ᘖᐣᖗᔭ, ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐤ As Cuegan don’t (doesn’t?) understand, the Beanie takes the stitch and draws some parallel lines to indicate that the sea is rising.

We can make many educated guesses. The first sentence is probably a result of the surprise/excitement of the Beanie (remember that, as Rosetta will later explain, they did not imagine there were still people living there). One of the two last sentences (or possibly both, but I guess only the last one) is likely related to the the rising of the sea, and it seems a good guess that among those questions one of them is something like “How did you get here?” or, at best, “Are you (two) alone?”.

Syntactically, the first question is the one that helps us most. We have ᔪᖉᔭᑫ ᕒᖚᐧ ᘊᓭᐧᑲᐤ (“nafagaθa laka pataɲa?”), which is stringkly similar to the very first Beanish sentence, ᔪᕒᖚᐧ ᘛᔭᐤ (“nalaka zaga?”), in frame 2663. We have seen that this first question probably means “Where are you from?” or “Who are you?”, with the “question prefix” ᔪ (“na”) — that seems to work as a clitic, like most of Beanish morphemes –, the “locative adverb/preposition” ᕒᖚᐧ (“laka”) — sorry to keep the linguistic jargon, basically something which denotes a physical location, probably something translated as “here/there/where/in/at/…” (but at least I am not saying things like “place deixis”! –, and ᘛᔭ (“zaga”), likely a verb. In our new sentence, we keep the ᔪ (“na”) clitic, along with the ᕒᖚᐧ (“laka”). But we also have the common ᘊᓭᐧᑲ (“pataɲa”) word, which — unless Randall gave us homographs — is the name of the place where Cuegan come from (cfe. frame 2906, a.k.a. “the map”); I like to think of it as “Balearic”, to omit the fact that it might be a composite. However, the word seems to be the result of, at least, the ᘊ- (“pa-”) prefix and the word ᓭᐧᑲ (“taɲa”), used in the “good night” sentence of frame 2697. A case of homography here is not probable, and it raises an interesting hypothesis: that, maybe, perhaps, who knows, possibly, just a guess, ᘊ- (“pa-”) does not mean “big, superior”, but is a kind of determinative (an “article”, or maybe a “demonstrative”), used in precise circumstances. Think about the usage of articles in Ancient Greek — I keep going back to it as Randall spoke of Linear A, even though I know that Linear A is not Greek (as far as we know, it is not even Indo-European) –, including the fact that its usage in what we suppose to be Rosetta’s name might be an honorific.

We then have two sentences, one likely “QUESTION-(from) (to come)” and one “QUESTION-(?) (from) (Balears)”. The ᖉᔭᑫ (“fagaθa”) word is unfortunately very obscure, but, using the logic of English, it should be a verb. The alternative of having the first as “QUESTION-(person/who) (are, inflected 2nd plural)” and the second as “QUESTION-(?) (person/who) (Balears)” has some difficulties due to the later usage of ᕒᖚᐧ (“laka”), but it can’t absolutely be ruled out (a more fluent English translation would be “Are you Balearic?”). For the time being, we should study the corpus with both possibilities in mind: ᕒᖚᐧ (“laka”) as “from/where/there/here” (the one I favor) and as something that is or work as a copula verb (“to be”).

The second question, ᑦᘈᖽᐣ ᔭ ᖆᖽᒣ ᓭᘖᑦ ᖊᘊᐤ (“osaʤe ga daʤaʧa tebo ðapa?”), is more difficult. No word in it is clearly related to anything else in our corpus, not to mention the uncommon diacritic in initial position in ᑦᘈᖽᐣ (“osaʤe”). ᓭᘖᑦ (“tebo”) could be related to ᓭᘖᔭᓄ (“water”), but there is not clear indication of that — this is one of the few words where calculating the probability of a random similarity — I’ll do it, eventually — may actually help us, but once more what we need are good hypothesis to test. What do you all think this second sentence means?

We finally have ᕋᖗ ᖆᕬᖉᔭ ᘖᐣᖗᔭ, ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐤ (“raʃa daʎafaga beʃagai patebava?”). We are naturally drawn to ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄ (“patebava”), almost certainly a compound of the prefix ᘊ- (“pa-” — “big, superior” or a determinative) and ᓭᘖᔭᓄ (“tebava” — “water”). Based mostly in the following sentence by Megan (“Yes! The sea is rising!”), most people (including myself) speculated that this is, loosely, semantically similar ot the third question, which goes hand in hand with the translation of ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄ as “sea” (“big water”). This has, however, some problems, in particular the fact that we know almost for sure that “sea” is written ᘊᖊᑦᓄ (“paðeva”). azule has suggested in the XKCD fora that ᓄ (“va”) is actually “water, liquid”), and while I am not completely confident with his/her hypothesis of freely joinable morphemes with independent semantic load (I use this complex description because I am not sure if he/she thinks about something more like Klingon or more like Chinese, but we are talking of somewhat-analytic languages), this makes a lot of sense here. Plus, it supports the hypothesis of ᘊ- (“pa-”) as a determinative: in our sentence, “water” is used with a determinative (maybe it’s the subject, maybe some other rule is at play), and in the maps, for example, the prefix is explained by proper nouns (ᘊᖊᑦᓄ ᘊᓭᐧᑲ would be something like “the-Sea the-Balearic”).

The other words in the sentence are, unfortunately, obscure. I agree that we should expect something like “up” or “rise” or “increase” in it, but we cannot go much farther than guessing. ᕋᖗ (“raʃa”) has both uncommon glyphs and uncommon features; the initial ᖆ- (“da-”) in ᖆᕬᖉᔭ (“daʎafaga”) could mean “good” (“up”?), but it doesn’t fit very well with the supposed meaning of the sentence; the only word very loosely similar to ᘖᐣᖗᔭ, (“beʃagai”) is ᖚᐣᘖᖗᑫ (“kebaʃaθa”), which doesn’t add much either. You’ve guessed it: we need more and better hypothesis for the translations.
My blog on Beanish: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

HES

Postby HES » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:06 pm UTC

The mass of sandcastles collapses into a singularity.

Before I molpy up properly, re the language thing: I'm a bit of an arse when it comes to english, but I've not had occasion to correct any of you. We skip the whole gender issue and throw in irregular forms instead, which seem to be easier to deal with.
I speak a tiny bit of German (GCSE B grade), and have a lot of respect for anyone fluent in more than one language.

I wish for breakfast
He/Him/His Image

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:10 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:As for language discussions: I understand why you would have more than thre gender pronouns. I understand why you would gender names. But I am still utterly lost as to why anyone would gender objects which have none themselves, so why do so many languages do it?

Usually either because there were many genders that "made sense" in the past (like, human/animal/vegetable/everything else) but were lost and "adapted" into the remaining genders (so that, in Italian, the fruit is feminine but the tree is masculine), or because the world was once upon a time understood differently from our current perspective, and there is no "man" and "woman", but "masculine" and "feminine" forces/energies/spirits that you can find in anything (very, very, very remotely related to the "ships have a woman's soul").

For example, among the Brazilian Kaingang and Xokhleng, everything is related to the two exogamic patrilinear halves Kanhru and Kame, two brothers who guided the people from the ground after a Deluge-like event (it is similar to the ant people myth common among North American people). The opposition between Kanhru and Kame, between "ror" and "téj", is not only mythological or linguistic, but almost epistemological and ontological. Everything short, low, rounded is "ror" and everything long, tall, angular is "téj", and this opposition has many linguistic consequences, among them genders and their phonetic expression (I don't know kaingague and have to simplify so much that I am actually making it wrong, but to give an idea you have, for example, a verb "to carry" when used to ror-things and a second "to carry" for téj-things, so that the verb in "I carry the ball." and in "I carry the stitch" is not the same because the action is inherently different.)
Last edited by tresoldi on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My blog on Beanish: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

mscha

Time Revisited - np491

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:10 pm UTC

CUNGLOMERATEUR...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:POPE 2: ELECTRIC BAGALOO

-- posted by oldpixbot

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:15 pm UTC

tresoldi wrote:related to the two exogamic patrilinear halves

As if beanish wasn't hard enough :shock:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”